Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• This course is helpful, I am learning a lot too

• Unrealistic target could possibly lead to drastic consequences. Targets need to be attainable and measurable. Otherwise, there is no need of setting unachievable ones.

• well thought out topic

• Unrealistic Targets can be dangerous it may lead the organization to false hope. Targets should be realistic and measurable.

• Targets are unrealistic where from historical findings, data available and from previous data it can not be attainable.
    An example of unrealistic target is preempting that after 1 year of giving microloans in MEH Project all the participants will have successful business.

• Unrealistic Targets can be dangerous it may lead the organization to false hope. Targets should be realistic and measurable.

• Unrealistic targets are sometimes ambitious targets or targets which are impossible to reach because of lack of money (low budget,), materials or according of the situation, there are some beliefs or culture make them impossible to be attempted.

• the situation where you set targets that do not answer you set goals in the project

• An unrealistic target is any ambition that is not attainable or practical. To recognise unrealistic targets, you need to check that each step of your plan is achievable. Unrealistic targets often have outcomes such are burnout, boredom and quitting. It is therefore important to assess each target to enable you to know whether it is unrealistic or not.

• I have learnt how go about setting realistic goals. This include using existing reliable data sources, using expert opinions, collecting baseline data and taking into consideration the resources that I have. I have also learnt that targets can be adjusted accordingly to changes in circumstances such as funding and major changes in target audience. I feel confident in my capacity to not only set realistic targets but also to realize overly ambitious ones.

• Setting unrealistic targets is a big problem in many projects and it almost always leads to failure in achieving the objectives of goal of the project unless such targets are reviewed. Good and reliable baseline data and effective stakeholder engagement is crucial in guiding the project team set realistic targets.

• Unrealistic targets are those targets that are too ambitions and difficulty to be achieved. Some project funders forget that to achieve their goals require a considerable time-frame and resources, therefore, they set up their targets to be accomplished as rapidly as possible, which sometimes is impossible. If your project fails to achieve the set targets in a due period, that means that you have unwisely set your targets (in other words, you have set up unrealistic targets).

• Unrealistic targets are those that may not be reached. This happens when you set very high targets.
    Also targets that are so low are unrealistic since the project cannot achieve its purpose.
    For example;If MEH sets a target like:To give out 10,000loans, this will be unrealistic given that funds for loans are inadequate.

PS: l have not been able to connect to any discussion due to network challenges. Therefore the feedback is just what I think is being discussed. Kindly help me.

• indicators are extremely important for the success of a project, they allow to measure the progress towards the results, to adjust the project and to make better decisions.

• setting targets that you will or may not reach by the timeframe

1. How much was the loan value.

1. How much was the loan value.
  • Every trainee becoming employable and civic minded at the end of the training.

• Unrealistic targets can undermine the morale of any team. Targets should be ambitious enough that the team is challenged but not overwhelmed!

• Unrealistic targets can be very demoralizing to any team. Targets should be chosen such that they challenge the team without making them overwhelmed.

1. Setting targets that you know are not attainable at the beginning of the project without any traceable project measuring tools from previous projects.
    2. If last year or last quarters target was 55% then you only achieved 22%, its very unrealistic to set your target for the following year or quarter to 75%.
    3. You can only achieve your targets by ensuring that you always revisit your set targets to the reached targets.
    4. If your target,location and demographic targets are all moving in one direction just know that your targets are realistic but if one of them is not working right then its unrealistic.
    R
    1 Reply
  • It is always better if you set your goals based on past projects because if you set your goals based on how we are feeling because if we are optimistic out targets would be to high and when we are pessimistic our standards maybe set to be to low. We need to be ambitious but realistic

• Targets were set but we were unable to reach them because we set out goals a bit to high and we didn't have the resources to reach our goal

• Dear team mates,setting unrealistic targets makes our donors doubt our data sources and proves that our project goal can not be achieved

• I believe it is only possible to set a realistic target after looking at preliminary reports on a similar problem

• Every trainee becoming employable and civic minded at the end of the training.

• Project Goal: Empowering Rural Community for Improved Agricultural Productivity.
    Project Purpose: To sustainably increase food security and availability of income in the peasant farmer households.

• An organization which set unrealistic targets often lack understanding of the intricacies involved in a project and the ripple effect they create on decisions, contingencies and risk. Once you understand the underlying reasons for any unrealistic targets, you can let go of these goals or correct them. Correcting unrealistic targets is easy. By relying on available data, program implementer can quickly make the case for more reasonable targets that still drive performance improvement by: Identifying actual past performance; confirming all trends and anomalies
    Showing what it would take to reach the unrealistic target; finding middle ground; and adjusting timeline for achieving the goal, if the target setter is unwilling to change the target.

• A huge headache is caused when there are unrealistic targets, but there are many ways the project manager can get ahead of them and eradicate them from the start. Understanding the scope of work, the community experience and expectations and the team’s workload is an essential part in creating realistic deadlines and communicating that to every party involved in the project.

• Creating realistic targets is a skill that comes from adept project management.

• Somehow, through the ancient, mystic project management arts, the project manager will be able to deliver under budget on an unrealistic timeline. This is similar to the problem of expecting miracles. There, we saw that the project manager was expected to be a miracle worker, delivering on project goals when the leaders who were supposed to provide direction and support were not involved and still expected success.

• Setting unrealistic targets will not motivate the team working for that project to work and also this may indicate lack of ambitious and bullying.

T
    1 Reply
  • The topic underscores the importance of having achievable targets within the means available for the project.

• Rehausser le niveau de tous les élèves du primaire

• Data collection tools are an essential element in the research phase. Choosing the right instrument will enable me, to gather the information that is able to answer the research objectives. Data collection should be determined when your sample and purpose of research are clear. After understanding these two, you could specify which data collection technique suitable to collect your information.

• Unrealistic targets are the targets that you just set without evidence that you will achieve them. These are targets that are set without using data and mostly they are biased, they are targets that are set without establishing a baseline, targets set without looking at historical trends or looking at other sources of information. If you choose unrealistic targets you will not achieve them and they become a demotivation factor to yourself, employees and donors. Unrealistic targets are expensive. They make a project fail. When designing a project avoid setting unrealistic targets.

• Unrealistic targets are very or over ambitious targets that a project sets and will find difficult if not impossible to achieve. They targets may be set with very little information or data to support as the their basis; rather on feelings. Achieving them may be beyond the project's financial or operational capacity.

Unrealistic targets may falsely suggest that project are not delivering project activities at the level and quality required; it can be demoralizing.

• Target turns out to be unrealistic when your goal set is low. This will make investors not to fund ur target because it is unrealistic

• It is interesting to learn ways to set the target

• I find indicators and targets the most challenging. This is definitely the step when you have to do the most research before you begin your project.

• unrealistic target comes when some other unplanned nature happenings are not consider when making target, its also importance to check on what the previous project achieve there there was any and take a deep look on what made them not achiebve or achieve their target to avoid making unrealistic targets

1 Reply
  • Unrealistic targets are usually derived from goals that do not meet the SMART principle of a goal. So if the objectives are poorly defined, the targets will automatically be unrealistic.

• With this course, I discovered why sometimes I have trouble achieving my goals. Indeed I was able to discover how to set a goal and be able to achieve it.

• I agree with you, but I wanted to add that the unrealistic objective is not necessarily linked to a natural phenomenon that occurs during the execution of the project. The unrealistic objective is an objective that is poorly defined at the base, that is to say that does not respect the SMART principle (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and executed in Time)

• Unrealistic targets are those targets that may be difficult meet and this may be due to lack of a target level hence there's no evidence that you attained your desired target.

• i concur with you

• Unrealistic target we can define as the target which can not reached after the project set its targets. This can not state whether is qualitative, quantitative or efficiency and might happens when the team is very pessimistic.
    The project can have unrealistic target when the team can not conduct the baseline survey or research on what the projects need to be done in a certain community. So its too difficult sometime to observe the unrealistic targets if there is no good monitoring and evaluation.

• Setting realistic target is vital because it really prevent frustrations.

• A target describes the level that a project intends to reach at a certain date. These are a commitment to reach certain results. Setting a target is not an easy task as one may set targets which are too higher if he/she is too optimistic or may set too low targets if pessimistic. It is important to have baseline targets before setting your own targets. Baseline targets are targets that your indicator is at before your project starts and whatever changes or happens will be based on what was already there before the project commenced.
    Targets are not a fixed entity; these can be adjusted due to factors like change in budgets. It is ideal to keep the original targets though.
    People may set targets which are unrealistic in nature. This may be as a result of not doing a research on similar projects to see how others did on similar projects. This leads to frustrations to the project teams as well as donors. So when setting targets, it is indeed important to set ambitious but realistic targets to avoid being failures because we have failed to reach the targets that we set. These will inform the donors on how we plan to execute the project and these will be a backup of the funding that we get from the donors.

• Some targets can really be unrealistic in the sense that they can aim higher than the available funds to achieve such targets. In the end, those targets can hardly be achieved.

• unrealistic targets is when employees may be forced to rush work, cut corners and not take proper care. This can lead to mistakes and poor quality outcomes. If you set your budget based on unrealistic expectations, you may be surprised when project costs overrun.

How to handle unrealistic targets at work

1. Practice setting and enforcing boundaries. ...
    2. Consider your supervisor's intentions. ...
    3. Solicit help from your coworkers to reach goals. ...
    4. Meet with your supervisor and offer feedback. ...
    5. Create a workflow timeline that can help you succeed.

The consequences of unrealistic targets are significant. Not reaching goals results in negative emotions: disappointment, frustration, and feeling like a failure. It also makes you more likely to quit, be even less healthy, and claim that your genetics make success impossible.

• ljnùdeksq,ù
    PIFËZ0ICJ?x;?o^cdOSHJC0EI?VQMC
    SDKOCJ¨ZE%IDSN ljnùdeksq,ù
    SDKOCJ¨ZE%IDSNljnùdeksq,ù
    SDKOCJ¨ZE%IDSN

• Set realistic targets guys

• Targets are to be set for each indicator that measures success in the project.
    Every project needs baseline data to determine the targets. The baseline is the level that your indicator is at before the project starts. We can find the baseline data by researching using an existing reliable data source or project, by collecting data if no data source exists and by starting at baseline 0 if you are providing a new type of service

R
    1 Reply
  • There are some situation which is not in our hand (Covid-19), in that case can we revised our targets

• Un realistic targets are ambitions that are not easy to be attainable, practical or doable. When u set unrealistic targets you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. For example 100% girls and boys vaccinated, chances are high that due to different factors not all boys and
    girls will be vaccinated.

• I have really understood this topic 😸 now I can tell why most projects fail while others are successful

• Unrealistic targets puts a lot of pressure on the team trying to achieve something that is not achievable or even feasible. It discourages the team because they work hard but the results always show that the team is not productive as it should.

It is important to check if the targets are realistic because even finding data during the baseline evaluation and even at the end would be tough and difficult for the team. Finally, unrealistic targets might lead to losing the funds, donors, and even trust from the stakeholders. It is crucial to set the realistic targets.

• From experience in the banking industry that I used to work at, this is so much more than a myth.
    The belief that one need to push harder than capacity is a norm there.
    With this topic, it is clear to me now that Targets should be well fashioned with attainability in mind and not any bogus set target aimed at tearing the participant apart.
    Targets should generally have a flow and with proper assumptions that will / can make it real and attainable.

• Unrealistic targets are those set without putting into consideration some key components project elements like funds available into consideration. Your budget will determine what you are able to do. For example, you might want to distribute 80,000 mosquito nets, but only have the funds to purchase 40,000. To execute this project, adjustment will have to be made to allow for realistic target.

• Unrealistic targets make it difficult to measure project success, if they are too high, the project team may feel like they didn't make any contribution to development and if they are too low, the project team may assume they performed so well.

• unrealistic targets can also bias funders if they have to look at the M&E plan before funding the project. Being over ambitious can create mistrust before funders sometimes so we really have to think before setting targets and if possible engage key stakeholders while setting them.

• Also, when we anticipate a change in the project environment but still insist on a target that will most likely be affected by the anticipated change, then that is unrealistic. It is wiser to revise, I believe after the COVID-19 pandemic many organizations had to revise their targets for example.

• A possible unrealistic target for the MEH project could be that all the girls would be millionaires in one year

• I quite agree with you. Ambitious, yes, but realizable.

• Unrealistic targets will be unlikely to be reached leading to frustration by project staff and the donors. They could also be too easily achieved leading to a false sense of achievement but with little impact in the project implementation area.

• Setting a goal for a program/project is an important part of programming. A program or a project should not ideally have multiple goals. The goal is what has to be ultimately achieved; the final form or situation that we would like to see. But it is to be clearly distinguished from vision. Goal and vision are two entirely different things. Goal is more about where we want to reach and vision is more about what we want to see. A vision can be more idealistic but a goal has to be more realistic.

• Every indicator needs to have set targets. Every survey also needs to have a baseline which is the level that your indicator is at before the project starts. Baseline data can be gathered from an existing reliable data source, collected by yourself or starting from 0 if you are providing a new service

• the topic was interesting and a little challenging compared to the previous. However, I was able to grip most of the things and I am sure in the course of time, I will be able to have a grip over all of them

• I think these are targets that are way over ambitious and can not in any way be achieved.

1. In five years, all the people of the planet will live in harmony.
    2. Within 20 years, all African countries will be provided with clean drinking water.
    3. Within 30 years the rights of all children will be protected
  • Unrealistic targets demoralise the team or project group as a whole in the sense that it brings about the feeling of failure even though they are not the ones at fault but rather the unrealistic expectations and outcomes that were put before them. In order to avoid unrealistic targets, one can find existing data sources, collect their own data or start from zero if their service is new. Moreover, avoid setting ones feelings forward as this could lead to unrealistic targets being put in place

• Unrealistic targets make it harder to achieve the project aims. It demoralises the team and has beneficiaries and donors in doubt

• As much as its important to set ambitious targets which acts as a motivation to staff members as well as gain donors trust, it is also important to evaluate the target to see if its realist. Unrealistic target may result in disappointment for both the donors as well as the project team if they are not achieved. Hence its important to set realistic targets that fits within the budget and considering other factors as well

• There are many reasons for unrealistic targets but I think there are two major reasons for unrealistic targets.

1. Lack of planning: Planning or considering it as a formality, the team will probably face difficulties at the very beginning because of mismatching expectations.
    2. Poor communication: Poor communication, on the contrary, leads to a number of difficulties and misunderstandings. For example, when a project manager does not communicate to stakeholders on time, they are not aware of what has already been done and what requires more time. The same can be said about problems arising during the team’s working on the project.
  • unrealistic targets leads to mistakes and poor quality outcomes

• unrealistic target lead to poor quality outcomes

• Learning this the hard way as M&E Expert having to set targets based on data and not feelings.
    Due to the higher expectations we have for our organization and to induce donors to support, we normally tend to set targets when we have less evident for. Sometimes too we have unrealistic targets as a result of overconfidence for success

• An unrealistic Targets is any ambition that isn't attainable, practical, or doable. When you set unrealistic targets, you get bored or burnt out and you quit early. To recognize unrealistic tagets, check that each step of your plan is achievable. To stop setting unrealistic targets, make your targets simpler.

• Unrealistic targets are targets Organizations set that they know they won't be able to achieve. For example you have funds to train 50 young people and you set your targets that you will train 70 people. That target is very unrealistic

• Unrealistic targets will make your stakeholders not to have confidence in you which will make it difficult for them to trust your judgment because unrealistic target will always fail. It will waste resources and time. It will also deter the person that had set the unrealistic target will

• The major culprits of setting unrealistic targets are getting wrong data or using our biased mind set to set target

• Targets and indicators should be in sync. It must demonstrate the quantity, quality, or efficiency of the task expected based on the indicators. It must be founded on a baseline, historical trends, or other sources such as expert opinion, research findings, and the project budget. It must be ambitious while remaining realistic. It would be unrealistic if it did not rely on baseline data, historical trends, or other important sources of evidence. It will also harm the team members and other stakeholders if it is not met. As a result, we must exercise caution when setting Targets.

• unrealistic target is an over ambitious one precisely in the aspect of time and quantity to be achieve. For example , if averagely , it takes 2 weeks to complete a well water point with 6 staff, a unrealistic target for this indicator for a new organization with the same type of equipment and 3 staff per well may be " to complete at least 5 well water points per month.

• Unrealistic targets are those targets that extremely ambiguous and too ambitious. for instance, attempting to test 9000 pediatrics for HIV in a population of 11,000 and setting a target positive of say 7000 is almost impossible and unrealistic. Targets should be flexible and attainable not cast on stone.

• Using data and not feelings and emotions helps us reduce setting unrealistic targets.

• Unrealistic targets can lead the project to have budget usage problems and additional efforts in case they are too far beyond what can be achieved. In case the indicators are easily achieved, they may not bring an impact or desired change.

• Targets is the number that you want to achieve your project
    Also we learn what we call indicators
    Indicators my be director and indirect indicators

• I do not understand the concept of unrealistic.

• Designing comprehensive targets involves identifying realistic targets, therefore I agree that collection of baseline data/ understanding historical trend are useful planning mechanism that should be used when designing M & E framework.

I think that having unrealistic targets certainly would affect the project deliverable and overall increase likelihood of project failure, therefore framing realistic target should be critical during the project formulation.

• Targets should be measurable and observed to be sure attainable and not just a wishful thinking or wild imagination. funders sometimes are guilty of putting much pressure on organizations to set ambiguous and unrealistic targets in other to look good. some of these targets are products of greed and share naivety. they lead to falsification and misrepresentation of data. Excessive or bogus targets are known for pushing staffers to the edge and disruption of due process and genuine work ethics.

• As important as setting targets is, setting realistic targets is the highest on the rank, else you are heading for a challenge project if not a failed one. I like this part "Targets should be set out of data not out of feelings" Your target represnts the purpose of the project, you should get this right first!

• The setting of unrealistic target makes a project unable to be scaled objectively, making a successful project look a failure.

• settting realistic targets is of essential to achieving greater targets from your project

• You can be ambitious and optimistic about your project, but setting an unrealistic targets will only set you up for failure. You can wish for 100% attendance by your target audience. 100% improvement in knowledge/ quality of life/ etc, but there are so many things beyond your control which will eventually happen during the implementation of the project. Your beneficiaries might not be interested to attend an event you planned, a natural disaster can occur, your beneficiaries might not grasp fully a course you have provided for them, some resources might be unavailable. So setting realistic targets based on the results from similar projects, and consultations with experts in the area is very important while designing your logic model.

• I believe that to set unrealistic targets is one of the biggest threats for us as project developers. Some months ago we did a project proposal in which we said we wanted to make 10,000 students between 10 and 14 years old aware of climate change effects on our life. Actually, the number of students in their 10-14 y.o. of the area targeted by the project was about 12,000. However, no one took care about this number and, as a result, our project wasn't financed by being not approved by the donor. These are lessons for the future!

• I believe that to set unrealistic targets is one of the biggest threats for us as project developers. Some months ago we did a project proposal in which we said we wanted to make 10,000 students between 10 and 14 years old aware of climate change effects on our life. Actually, the number of students in their 10-14 y.o. of the area targeted by the project was about 12,000. However, no one took care about this number and, as a result, our project wasn't financed by being not approved by the donor. These are lessons for the future!

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.