Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Teaching remotely

Hi @all ! This is Andrew from Philanthropy University. We want to hear about how your organization or school is adapting your teaching during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. Are you using digital technologies? Adopting new techniques? What are your questions? Let us know! Share your response to the pandemic in this discussion thread.

P
    3 Replies
  • Yes sure, during COVID 19 era, I am using the digital technologies for meetings and trainings for staff and leaders in my organization.
    For schools in my country both public and private schools are adapting the digital education. Most of them, are using the ZOOM meeting and training to staff and students. Additionally, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport is using serval channels and media for providing education services to students in-country, especially, in rural areas or disadvantaged areas because fewer internet services there. Ministry also provides education services to students through the TV and Facebook pages of the ministry.

• @awyndham said in Teaching remotely:

Hi @all ! This is Andrew from Philanthropy University. We want to hear about how your organization or school is adapting your teaching during the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic. Are you using digital technologies? Adopting new techniques? What are your questions? Let us know! Share your response to the pandemic in this discussion thread.

My school currently is not using any technology for teaching during this period of COVID-19 pandemic. This is because the school is still very young and have not developed in capacity to handle the expenses and cost that accompanies this technological trend.
    There are some schools in my area that are using ZOOM for classes during this period and from my conversation with a staff from that institution, they are also making arrangement to continue with the system for their normal academic activities after resumption from break if the pandemic is not yet eradicated by then.
    In the state where I reside, Adamawa State, the state government government has directed the state owned media outlets (Radio and TV station) to come up with arrangement for teaching our young kids at home during this period and the Minister of Education in my country is also making a similar arrangement with federal media houses.

1 Reply
  • @chriska said in Teaching remotely:

@awyndham said in Teaching remotely:

My school currently is not using any technology for teaching during this period of COVID-19 pandemic. This is because the school is still very young and have not developed in capacity to handle the expenses and cost that accompanies this technological trend.
    There are some schools in my area that are using ZOOM for classes during this period and from my conversation with a staff from that institution, they are also making arrangement to continue with the system for their normal academic activities after resumption from break if the pandemic is not yet eradicated by then.
    In the state where I reside, Adamawa State, the state government government has directed the state owned media outlets (Radio and TV station) to come up with arrangement for teaching our young kids at home during this period and the Minister of Education in my country is also making a similar arrangement with federal media houses.

Hello all, our vocational institution is currently closed until after the lockdown set by the government of Uganda. The Ministry of Education is in close contact with the MoH to open all schools at an appropriate time. As my colleague earlier mentioned, we have no technology based training going on not even the tools, equipment, financial means and the knowledge base by the staff to effect this. We would be willing to enforce it much as a clearance from the MoE would be advisable. Currently TV and Radio stations provide lessons to primary and secondary but not tertiary institutions thus our dilemma.

• Course Facilitator

Hello everyone,my organisation (Icare sustainably international) was in the process of setting up SDG clubs in the Kenyan schools before the break out of the pandemic,we are now turning into virtual clubs due to the social distancing aspects, after going through various options of remote learning tools,we have settled for buncee app which is giving us a 3 months free subscription as part of their innitive to support remote learning.the challenge we are anticipating is lack of the digital gadgets for most of the learners like laptops/computers/or smart phones especially for kids from the rural areas,we are looking to partner with an organisation that can provide these gadgets to enable the kids Access training content.

1 Reply
  • @Cmnyarangi said in Teaching remotely:

Hello everyone,my organisation (Icare sustainably international) was in the process of setting up SDG clubs in the Kenyan schools before the break out of the pandemic,we are now turning into virtual clubs due to the social distancing aspects, after going through various options of remote learning tools,we have settled for buncee app which is giving us a 3 months free subscription as part of their innitive to support remote learning.the challenge we are anticipating is lack of the digital gadgets for most of the learners like laptops/computers/or smart phones especially for kids from the rural areas,we are looking to partner with an organisation that can provide these gadgets to enable the kids Access training content.

Our community centers serve vulnerable families whose children have limited resources and struggle to succeed in school. Typically, when there there is no C-19, students come three times a week for computer classes, tutoring and values classes (we are a faith based origination so there is that component as well). The students we serve have limited access to technology at home and one of the benefits of being in our program is the ability to use computers to advance their education, complete school assignments and learn IT skills.
    We have used google classroom to create our courses using a lot of video tutorials which enable students to learn at their own pace. In a perfect world, they could continue this at home. However few have computers or internet access which would make this possible.
    During the quarantine in effect in Guatemala we have gone old school, we started a reading program to reinforce this basic skill. Parents check out books for their kids on a weekly basis and submit tracking sheets and book reports to verify the progress being made.
    For an organization focused on teaching kids to code, we have students as young as 12 taking online university level courses in programming and wed development, it's ironic that the there is no feasible way to leverage technology at this time.
    Technology is not the answer to everything and I think it's important for organizations who work with technology to realize that.

• Hi everyone. My organisation is actually working in a hard to reach area and students in those communities don't have access to any technological gadget and therefore lack skills to work with the computer. The schools in that area are looking for basis educational infrastructure like classrooms, teaching and learning materials and not computer.

With the coming of this pandemic, schools are now closed down and all other school activities has stopped. However, effort is under way by the government to make use of radio and television houses to organise teaching program for children.

Well actually, since my organisation have branch offices all over Indonesia, we are commonly use digital technologies already. But with this pandemic situation, the technology is utilised even more. My biggest concern is, this situation still bring a burden for a family which the parents are working and the kids are pushed to home schooling too, especially for single parents, as I do. Somehow, still struggling with time management with this changes.
    I hope we can pass this situation and discover a new way of working pattern that promote better work-life-balance, once the pandemic is over, that will give a better impact for the environment too.

Good day everyone, am Joseph from Nigeria, student of Leadership faculty of philanthropy university.
    My organization has adopted the digital technology system ever since this pandemic has began, being a teaching organization (Tutorial).
    Inorder to assist the students, especially the WAEC students

• Hi every one , my organization currently is not using the technology for teaching during this covid 19 due to the place where it is situated. Our organization is based on rural area and it is the outskirt of Kitwe town in Zambia . However currently the organization is closed until such a time things will be normalized . But we have a challenge with disabled people who do not have the materials and other things for preventive measures.

• Basically, this pandemic has brought to the forbearance the importance of e-learning which prior to now has little or no attention by the majority. Indeed, the unfortunate outbreak of covid-19 has reason along the prediction of the 5th Industrial revolution. Virtual learning is the new normal if we must come to terms with the dictates of the inherent situation at hand.

• Hello, my organization supports schools and with this pandemic it has been very difficult for both the school and us as an organization to ensure students keep learning even while at home.That being said the government is ensuring continuation of learning through media. As an organization, we have partnered with few others to ensure they learn other values and skills during this times.Our focus is on routine behavior establishment and Empathy during this pandemic.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.