Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• HIV/AIDS symptoms cause patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms gives patients more social confidence

• Interpretation of qualitatve data could give rise to biased outcome if not properly put in a very maeningful way and analysed in a way that can create confidence as well as protect the integrity of the data.

• In this module, the five step in analyzing qualitative data enable you to draw a strong analysis about specific data given the example, visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

• Looking forward to learning this new topic

• In this module, the five step in analyzing qualitative data enable you to draw a strong analysis about specific data given the example, visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

• here you need to interpret your data in a way that what are the big lessons you have learnt, what are the new things you have leant and those that others can learn.

• When dealing with qualitative data it is important to know what you want to get, focus on it, categorize information, identify patterns and interpret data. When interpreting data it is important to qualify findings and not make blanket statements since this may not be representative of all the feelings or attitudes of the subjects of your study. Conclusions should indicate that the findings pertain to some and not all because people react to similar conditions/situations differently.

• "I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me". - This patient response best support the interpretation.

• The interpretation should have an element of truth.

• Relative importance
    Do some categories of ideas occur more often than others?
    Having assigned categories to the different parts of your qualitative data, what patterns do you notice?
    In most projects, categorizing information is the most time-consuming step of any qualitative data analysis. But it also makes life easy if the information is catergorised according to different topics.

• In collecting qualitative data, I should not rely on the first form of information or my first impression only, but I should re-read it slowly and focus on it greatly to reach the final result according to appropriate criteria.

• learnt how to categorize data and interprate

• La façon de juger les onformations

• Is categorizing based on the objective of the question or the answer's meaning? What about if more questions have same objective? Who understood these in detail?

• Sometimes this kind of analysis is better to be reflected with percentage such as 80% of interviewed are satisfied from the health services. Moreover, this kind of data refer to knowledge, attitude, emotions more than to be statistical
    for example you cant use such analysis to determine the % of access improvement from this question
    What were the main reasons you did not access clinical services before referral?
    Are there are reasons why you were not coming to access clinical services?
    How did the referral help you to access health services the first time?

but such analysis can help you to interpret increase or decrease in figurer, proportion or percentage such as if the access indicator was 50% patients have access to the service the questions i mentioned can reflect the reasons behind the low achievement percentage of access improvement.

• Sometimes this kind of analysis is better to be reflected with percentage such as 80% of interviewed are satisfied from the health services. Moreover, this kind of data refer to knowledge, attitude, emotions more than to be statistical
    for example you cant use such analysis to determine the % of access improvement from this question
    What were the main reasons you did not access clinical services before referral?

but such analysis can help you to interpret increase or decrease in figurer, proportion or percentage such as if the access indicator was 50% patients have access to the service the questions i mentioned can reflect the reasons behind the low achievement percentage of access improvement.

• Which quotations from the text would best support this interpretation? : 404202200446: Yes. The drugs are helping me improve my health therefore my
    confidence has improved.

U
    1 Reply
  • Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

The quotation from the text that would best support the interpretation can be observed from the response from participant 404202200446. For example regarding the question about the significant change observed since she ever started the care and treatment services she answered, "Yes my health has improved. I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me."

• what do you do when you find there are no matching responses while categorizing data

• according to the example above, only visible, HIV/AIDS symptoms cause social shame in patients

• Categorization is the biggest challenge in qualitative data analysis. Interpretation of qualitative data should be as contextualized and specific as possible. Oversimplification and generalization would only lead to poor analysis.

• the tip here is understanding how you organize your data into clear category, will help into better pattern which will in turn help you identify the suitable pattern that the interview is trying to address through honest analysis

• I agree with Parpit idea

• social stigma brought by sign and symptom of HIV could really cause lead to low self esteem, treating such symptoms could boost their self-esteem back as well as healthy prolonged life.
    better articulate pattern is the best identification of the problem.

• social stigma brought by sign and symptom of HIV could really cause lead to low self esteem, treating such symptoms could boost their self-esteem back as well as healthy prolonged life.
    better articulate pattern is the best identification of the problem.

• This acts as the final stage of data in a project where data is interpreted to the funder, managers specifies areas learned and of interest to Donors.
    It also clearly shows facts/ideas that can be transferred to other organizations.
    Interpretation also identifies areas to improve incase of the next project.
    This also supports the decision making to the Donor and managers on how and which objectives that have been achieved well.
    Interpretation clearly shows the quality data achieved and presented to the Donor at different levels/period of time.

• It is very important to give a good interpretation to the data. be very specific and point it out clearly.
    when you under stan the data it I very important to make simple and precise interpretation.

for instance, in an interview of condom use and HIV in an HIV prevention program, we may find that there is a relation between condom use and the rate of new infections. however, it's very technical to say that using condoms is a guarantee to be prevented from having the HIV. however, a systematic use of condom and using it right could provide a good prevention.

• that's cool summery
    good to glance through to get all details on the project.

• always make a good interpretation of the data

• Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence. In the interviewee's words, "The sores covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable...I feel better because the sore in my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody looks at me."

• I agree that interpretation can easily be misled if not properly framed to capture all essential variables observed in the manuscript

• Data analysis needs serious work. I think for one develop good skill in this area, you need a lot of practice.

F
    1 Reply
  • Knowing what the stakeholders want to know from the project makes the work easier.

• Service providers(Clinicians) taking time to talk to HIV/AIDS patients and reminding them of the do's and don'ts makes them (Patients) feel supported. This supported by the statement in which the respondent stated that "Everytime we come to the facility the clinicians talk to us for some time to remind us not to take drugs when we have not eaten-----)

• I think, read, watch, or listen the data before we start is one of the important thing to get useful data. After we know about our data, we have to choose an approach for consider what the goals of our project are. After that, we have to organize and identify the patterns. The last, we can write the specific quotations or stories

F
    1 Reply
  • interpretation should capture the summary of the interview

• Interesting. Qualitative data requires so many techniques and deeper knowledge.

• Interesting. Qualitative data requires so many techniques and deeper knowledge.

• In interpreting data, one must be careful not to judge base on few analysis. The ethical principles of data management must always be put into consideration.

• Interpretation of qualitative data is a bit tough compared to quantitative data. The researcher shall be honest and try to avoid biases when reporting and interpreting the truth from participants interviews. It is good to support the analysis by including a direct quotation from interviews.

• In interpreting data, one must be careful not to judge base on few analysis. The ethical principles of data management must always be put into consideration.

• The client indicated that there was no change in the way community members treated her in the past. But this did not seem to bother her after, her health has improved she seemed to have gained confidence and carried on with life as normal.

• The patient symtoms (sores) were not associated with HIV/AIDS but malaria from the client's initial understanding, until a blood test was carried out to assertain the major cause of the sores.

I go with this quotation.
    "Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence"

• Remember the five steps to qualitative analysis

• Interpretation simply means putting together what you have learned.
    In interpretation, you draw in conclusions and lessons you have learned from the qualitative analysis.
    When writing lessons and conclusions put it in a way that can be understood by the stakeholders including specific quotations, stories to support the analysis.

• Focusing is key when conducting qualitative analysis

• Awareness programme, such as HIV testing, helps some Naive patients know their status and get Medical care.

• Interpreting qualitative data required more skills and may not very straight forward like quantitative interpretation. While pattern may emerge in the responses, it not a good practice to generalize the findings for all the participants.

• The patient, being tested either positive or negative no body in society will make a comment on that, but when a patient is seen with facial sores the situation becomes exacerbated in terms of stigma, reputation, publicly taken as an abnormal individual. so this is real that there is a great relationship between HIH/AIDS symptoms and social confidence because when living asymptomaticcaly_physical sings and symptoms the patient continues his or her functionality in the local community with no any stigma.
    thank you

• Based on identifying various data pattern, its easy to make conclusions that guides data interpretation. Data interpretation requires iterations so that one is able to make justifiable conclusions. Of the five process for qualitative data analysis, its the most time consuming. Its good to keep reviewing your analysis in ensuring you enrich it from time to time.

• It is very important to be sure and interpret the qualitative data collected correctly so that it would be honest.

• To me, interpretation refers to the process of elaborating on, reshaping, or otherwise demonstrating your own knowledge of anything. Drawing conclusions from the data gathered after an analytical or experimental investigation is known as interpretation. In actuality, it is an investigation into the deeper significance of study findings.

• data interpretation is designed to help people with limited statistical or programming skills quickly become productive in an increasingly digitized workplace.

A
    1 Reply
  • A carefully review of all the steps in qualitative data makes data interpretation easy and of a good quality results, as this is the last step if all the steps were conducted carefully with the intended purpose decisions that are made are likely to be effective for the project

• Service Received and Improvements. The more help she is getting through counseling and being on treatment as also resulted in the Positive changes in health and well being.

• Interpretation is the final phase for qualitative analysis. By interpreting we are trying to see how different themes relate with the other themes

• The client said, "when I had them I used to feel shy when someone looks at me."

This quote supports the conclusion made that HIV/AIDS physical symptoms do have an impact on some patients .on how they relate with others in their community.

• This module is really interesting because it teaches us to avoid bias while analyzing data both qualitative and quantitative

• in qualitative data analysis, it is of crucial importance to include the new lessons learned and conclusions. the learned lessons should be the ones you can take to other projects. you should also include some thing that others will be interested to learn. you major lessons should also be interpreted in a way that will be easy to your funders teammates or other stakeholders.

• in qualitative data analysis, it is of crucial importance to include the new lessons learned and conclusions. the learned lessons should be the ones you can take to other projects. you should also include some thing that others will be interested to learn. you major lessons should also be interpreted in a way that will be easy to your funders teammates or other stakeholders.

• I got to understand the5 Steps that helps analysis data.
    Step 1 Get to know the data = this step will not give you content that you can include in your final analysis.
    Step 2 Focus the analysis = This step will help you consider what are goals of the project.
    Step 3 Categorize Information = In this step you will ask questions that assist to define a category.
    Step 4 Identify Patterns = You will identify every patten of your data.
    Step 5 Interpretation = You will interpret your data from the beginning. identifying What are the big lessons or conclusions, lesson learned?. In that way you will write out your major lessons in a format that will be easy for stakeholders to understand.

U
    1 Reply
  • I just find out interpreting the data its always important.. it gives you the truth on the ground, how others feel in terms of life on that particular data collection you are doing..
    And can help us to make right decision on how better can we help such people

• Interpretation of data is Paramount it helps you to be ensure that overtime during the project intervals that things has improved especially with participants

• I support you totally, in encouraging percentage when interpreting data it helps you nail it to the wall completely.

• Very true and concise.

• Visible symptoms of HIV/AIDS, such as sores, cause some patients to experience social shame. Treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence.

This is seen in this case, as when asked about why the patient decided to avail the service, she shared that because the facial sores caused her social discomfort and wanted to seek the service as a reason. She also shared that one of the biggest change is the removal of the facial sores that gave her confidence to work , feel more active to communicate with others and also helped improve her health.

• Data should be interpreted with the objectives of the project in mind

• Interpretation

• Interpretation

• In my own view interpretation of qualitative date is key because it help to decode what you are looking for on a particular data collection especially focus group or interview.

• the interpretation is not only to directly interpret the data identified, but a person have to have a strong critical skill.

• interpretation is an important issue in analyzing the data. that must be considered seriously.

• i learned alot especially the steps in qualitative data analysis

• i learned alot especially the steps in qualitative data analysis

• Qualitative data is always interesting to report given that everytime there will be a different set of information that could lead to different conclusiones and results.

• Interpretation is the way to explain and clarify the information that you collected and give a clear understanding to what information you have. It make it easier for people working in a project to understand everything

• We make a group discussion of their experience of HIV/AIDS.

• "I had the never ending malaria and a facial sores".

"I feel better because the sore in my face has disappear ".

"The drugs are helping me improve my health thereby my confidence is improved".

"No changes, we Relate like We do in the past".

• interpretation is no so easy, because it is very easy to misunderstand the interviewee's opinion

• great, practice can makes perfect in this domain

• "I had the never ending malaria and a facial sores".

"I feel better because the sore in my face has disappear ".

"The drugs are helping me improve my health thereby my confidence is improved".

"No changes, we Relate like We do in the past".

• Interpretation is a phase in the process of handling qualitative data. This phase requires special attention with the development of a highly objective mindset.

• super analysys

• Finally, it is time to interpret your data. What are the big lessons or conclusions? What new things have you learned? What lessons can you take to other projects? What are the things that others may be interested to learn?

Write out your major lessons in a format that will be easy for your funders, teammates, or other stakeholders to understand. Where possible, include specific quotations or stories to support your analysis.

• The quotation "The sores
    covering my face made people looking at me feel uncomfortable" meant that the sores on her face deprived her of social appreciation and or acceptance.
    Also the quote " I feel better because the sore in
    my face have disappeared. When I had them, I used to feel shy when somebody
    looks at me." alludes to the interpretation that "treating these symptoms can give patients more social confidence"

• Analyzing and interpreting of qualitative data is not an easy job. It needs more focus to be applied on making relationship between the cause and impact. Additionally, controlling biases of the analyst to be not included in interpretation is another issue which makes an analysis trustworthy. As per my experience, sometime there are social facts (accepted by all without any academic research or study) which can be brought to analysis for a better decision making or recommendations.

• In most religious communities HIV/AIDS contracted people are not disclosing to the community that they have HIV/AIDS. The community think that person is contracted by HIV/AIDS because of having illegal sexual relations with prostitutes or others. Therefore, to further interpret the above data I will add: Lack of awareness about HIV/AIDS in community brings a misunderstanding that the main cause of HIV/AIDS is adulatory or illegal sexual relations which directly lead to the shame of HIV/AIDS patient , therefore, treating of symptoms of HIV/AIDS help the patient to integrate in community by lessening the visible symptoms.

• the first over all monitoring and evaluation have to know the data needed to be collect and then focused how we are analyzed those data in order to achieve our main goal of the project and be lead to interpreting to the stakeholder of the project and funder of the project

• to know about the characteristic of your data will help to make the tools you have to be used in data analysis.

• to know about the characteristic of your data will help to make the tools you have to be used in data analysis.

• analyzing qualitative data allows us to explore ideas and further explain quantitative results. While quantitative data collection retrieves numerical data (what, where, when), qualitative data, often presented as a narrative, collect the stories and experiences of individual patients and families .

Qualitative analysis is important because the rich detail shared by individuals is extremely powerful in thinking through complex systems and can illustrate how the implementation of our programs and policies are working in real life and ultimately lead to change.

• DORA is undoubtedly making progress, and is now manifesting into real change in the research ecosystem. Progress may seem slow, but in a system defined by inertia, and accompanied by a complex web of ‘stakeholder’ interactions and power dynamics, any amount of change is positive. it help NGO'S to follow our partners to implementing well our activity even they have small income and funding from the own of the project.

• Qualitative analysis requires one to be objective and have good analytical as well as logical skills.

• i agree to that

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.