Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Getting more from this module

• Data Archiving protects older data that is not needed for everyday operations of an organization that is no longer needed for everyday access. Data Archiving reduces primary storage required, and allows an organization to maintain data that may be required for regulatory or other requirements.
    Data archiving is intended to protect older information that is not needed for everyday operations but may have to be accessed occasionally. Data archives serve as a way of reducing primary storage and the related costs, rather than acting as a data recovery tool.
    Some data archives allow data to be read-only to protect it from modification, while other data archiving products treat data as to allow users to modify it.
    The benefit of data archiving is that it reduces the cost of primary storage. Alternatively, archive storage costs less because it is typically based on a low-performance, high-capacity storage medium.

Data archiving take a number of different forms. Options can be online data storage, which places archive data onto disk systems where it is readily accessible. Archives are frequently file-based, but object storage is also growing in popularity. A key challenge when using object storage to archive file-based data is the impact it can have on users and applications. To avoid changing paradigms from file to object and breaking user and application access, use data management solutions that provide a file interface to data that is archived as objects.
    Another archival system uses offline data storage where archive data is written to tape or other removable media using data archiving software rather than being kept online. Data archiving on tape consumes less power than disk systems, translating to lower costs.
    A third option is using cloud storage, such as those offered by Amazon – this is inexpensive but requires ongoing investment.
    The data archiving process typically uses automated software, which will automatically move “cold” data via policies set by an administrator. Today, a popular approach to data archiving is to make the archive “transparent” – so the archived data is not only online but the archived data is fully accessed exactly as before by users and applications, so they experience no change in behavior.

U
    P
    2 Replies
  • I think the primary data can only be accessible to the people involve in M & E team. Apart from the, if others need data then only the data needed can be made accessible.
    Spread sheet by Microsoft has the find option, by typing key words, we can search the data we need. But before that it should be ensure that the data is named properly.

J
    1 Reply
  • I feel the same way

• A lot more NGOs need to review this information here , many times they forget these essentials and information gets lost etc.

J
    1 Reply
  • As we carry out monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessments there is the need to carefully select the right set of information support systems at various administrative levels as well as the skills required for the management analysis and interpretation of collected data.
    Even when data have been carefully collected it is still needful to manage data properly.
    Good data management includes developing effective processes for consistently collecting and recording data, storing data securely, backing up data, cleaning data, and modifying data so it can be transferred between different types of software for analysis.

• this module has taught me on how data stored and accessed
    looking at how your data is accessed and archived (stored long-term). Also from understanding ,however, no matter which system you adopt, there are some important questions that should be always ask, which are
    Who should be able to access the data?
    Should different types of people have different types of access?
    How will I ensure that only people with permission can access my data?
    How will data be searched?
    Does my data management software have a search or query function, or do I need to export my data into another format to search it?
    When should data be archived and moved into storage? . Further understanding,in this case ethical consideration is a major source..which must be put into consideration.

• many NGO do lost there data due to poor data mangement system that does not make proper uses of the electronic data management sytem based on the NGO quality

T
    1 Reply
  • Without proper consideration to those who access data will lead to ethical complications

J
    1 Reply
  • This is one of my favorite topic, it's really educative

J
    1 Reply
  • Ethical considerations should be strictly considered in data access and archiving practice to safguard confidential information. Moreover, in Data access and archive issues , the follwing issues are worthy to pay attention, access to data should be to the relevant people designated to use the data(workable guidleines should be prepared and put in to practice) effective mechanism should be created how to search data and archived and stored in to a long term storage.

J
    1 Reply
  • Without proper consideration to those who access data will lead to ethical complications

• In any case, it's great to know how to better keep your data.

J
    1 Reply
  • Knowing how to keep the data is good , to avoid files getting lost

• This content is absolutely relevant to the course and program

• This section of the topic is very hard for me to understand it

J
    1 Reply
  • Data collected should be accessible to all those relevant stakeholders and old data which are not temporary use like 3-5 years old data should be archive and store in a safe space. Those confidential and sensitive data should be keep safe and secure.

• A very important topic for discussion.

• Data Access and Archival shows how data is stored and accessed. They answer questions like;

1. Who should be able to access the data?
      Everyone
      M&E staff alone e.t.c

2.) Should certain people be able to access only some of the data?

3.) Should different type of people have different types of access?

4.) How will data be searched

• Along with the considerations for safety and access of archival information, it is also very helpful, especially in longstanding programs, to be able to access past projects and past ideas for the sake of institutional memory. It is very possible, especially in situations where there is turnover in positions, to have solutions to current problems that worked 5 years ago. If you have access to archived projects, you can learn from previous staff experts and find solutions.

• Data access and store is very important.
    Before we make it we have to think and study some information, like who has the permission of using it.

• A good database should be well organised and have good mechanisms to store, organise, query and archive the data in a secure manner. Data leakages should be guarded against to protect the participants and the organisation.

• I find this very important. information access is different depending the the stakeholder requesting. However, it important for stakeholder to get information in a simplified way. In my line of duty, we have stakeholders who may not use information generated from information systems and hence the need to simplify further. This is backed by law

• The operating (broad scope) budget reflects the organization’s planned financial activities for the year ahead, showing how much revenue it expects from which sources and how much it will spend on operations. It’s a key tool in effectively and efficiently achieving the organization’s stated purpose, and should always align with an organization’s strategic plan. The operating budget must be centered around the primary goals and objectives of the organization.

• on peut utliser des bases de donnees lineaires ou des systemes autres : tel DHSI2, Spss ou bien d'autre ou concevoir nous meme une application

• on peut utliser des bases de donnees lineaires ou des systemes autres : tel DHSI2, Spss ou bien d'autre ou concevoir nous meme une application

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.