Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Hello am Suwilanji Simfukwe from Zambia. Have learnt several short courses on this platform thanks to Philanthropy University.

• HI, MY NAME IS MARCELA OSPINA FROM MEDELLÍN COLOMBIA. ACTUALLY, I´M WORKING IN SOME PROJECTS CREATED TO MAKE A BETTER WORLD: EN CASA (AT HOME) MOVEMENT), BRAVI, THE BRAVE GIRL (ABOUT CHILD ABUSE) AND CREATIVE SOULS WORKSHOP FOR WOMEN. THIS COURSE IS SO IMPORTANT FOR ME BECAUSE I CAN STRENGTHEN MY SKILLS TO HELP A LOT OF WOMEN TO BELIEVE EMPOWERING WOMEN, HELPING THEM HEAL THEIR PAST AND THAT THEY MAY BELIEVE THAT ALL WOMEN ARE ART AND THAT CREATIVITY BELONGS TO ALL OF US BECAUSE IT IS A DIVINE GIFT

F
    T
    2 Replies
  • I am Theresa Awulor, a Nigerian in the Communications unit of Rule of Law and Empowerment Initiative also known as Partners West Africa Nigeria (PWAN). I am always interested in anything that relates to girls as I see the female folk as game changers in any sector of life

F
    T
    2 Replies
  • Hi I am Chubado Abdulrahman from Nigeria. I'm happy to join this Community.

F
    1 Reply
  • Hi everyone, My name is Fehintola from Nigeria. Just enrolled, and I look forward to learning and exchanging thought in this course. Thank you.

• Hi Marcela, this sounds interesting. Good luck with the project. I hope this course helps you achieve more in your project.

• IHi Theresa, I agree with you. Girl are the future game changers.

• Welcome Chubado. I'm excited about the course too.

• Hello, my name is hamda Ali
    I am from Djibouti I am 22 years old and I like learning everything new

• My names are Michael Olakunle Daramola, i'm 46 years old, from Lagos Nigeria. I'm bi-lingua, speaking English and French. I was trained by the International Air Transport Association Montreal Canada. My department specifically in the Aviation Industry is Aviation Security. My professional profile can be found on https://michaelcreations.wordpress.com/about

I'm re-enrolling for this same program. Thank You!!

T
    1 Reply
  • My name is Johnson Ameh a social worker.

• Looking forward to completing this course as I believe is one of the ways to help improve communities.

• Hello. My name is Juliet. I am happy to connect with you. This course really tickles my fancy and i do hope it will add to my skills in designing girl-centred programmes.

Thank you

• Hi, my name is Naomi Ibomhen and I am a Nigerian. I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Language and Literature. I am a writer.

• hi everyone ,my name is Miriam

• The course discussion board allows you to chat and exchange ideas with like-minded learners across the globe. This is a great way for you to find others who are as curious and passionate about this topic as you are!

You can access the discussion board at any time by clicking on the “All Topics” button in the menu on the right side of the page. As you progress through the course, you will also find individual discussion topics like the one below.

• Hello everyone, My name is Oyinda and I am an MPH student at the Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University.

• My name is Titera Agjei. I'm from Ghana and a work with a non-profit organization called Ngorli which means 'HOPE'.

• Nice initiative Marcela. Hoping to work together in the future. keep up the good work.

• Nice one Theresa

• Hoping to work with you in the future Mr. Olakunle Daramole.

• Hi everyone,
    My name is Taliroyiahn Chermaine Rollart. I am from Papua New Guinea the smallest country on the map above Australia. I come from the coastal part of the country where white sands, blue sea and palm trees sway to and fro.
    I am so grateful to be joining this course as part of Learning and teaching others. Not only that but also to help as many people that I can come across.

• Hi everyone,
    My name is Taliroyiahn Chermaine Rollart. I am from Papua New Guinea the smallest country on the map above Australia. I come from the coastal part of the country where white sands, blue sea and palm trees sway to and fro.
    I am so grateful to be joining this course as part of Learning and teaching others. Not only that but also to help as many people that I can come across especially girls around the world in any way I can.

• Hello I am Abdulqudus Olawale Jimoh from ilorin kwara state of Nigeria

• My name is Aiya, I have a degree in human rights and would like to have extra knowledge in this particular course because my passion is to empower the weaker species, women and girls. Success to all of you here.

• Hi, I am Apoorvi from India. I am working in development sector since 6 years.

• Hi Everyone, I am Alain Kabore, Joining from Dakar Senegal. I am a technical advisor for RH project. I intend to develop a project to prevent early teenage pregnancy and wanted to know how to use girl centered design for that. Thanks

• Hi ! My name is Fitri. I'm a tech student and I'm from Indonesia

• Hi everyone. My name is Prue, a public health practitoner based in Harare, Zimbabwe and London, UK. I am passionate about promoting health and wellbeing for girls and young women.

• Hello.. I hope that it will be a worthy changing course for me.

• Hi there! Looking forward to this course. My name is Alex and I am part of an NGO based in Belgium that operates globally, dedicated to inspiring girls in STEM.

• Hi Coleagues, Am Cathy Phiri from Lusaka, Zambia (CHAZ). I work for Churches Health Association of Zambia. I enrolled in this out of my own interest. Even though the experience and insight i will gain from this will be beneficial to my work at CHAZ, it is has however; nothing to do with CHAZ.

• I'm Cris from Brazil based in NYC. I work as UX Design and I have a deep interest in projects for women.

• I'm JIBU KISHENGULA, from Congo, Democratic Republic of the

• I need some experience from you

• My name is Alain REMEZO from Rwanda , i am working on differents projects which help adolescent girls and young women.

• Hi everyone, My name is Caroline, and I'm learning from Nigeria.

• Hello, all my classmates. I am Nang San Htiet Oo and I am a university student in Myanmar. I know this course from the my school director share this information to me and I am interesting in this course because it is for the girl and design so I join this course. I will try my best in this course.
    Thank You!

• I am Janet Pendimso Joseph from Nigeria. A midwife by profession.

• I am Janet Pendimso Joseph from Nigeria. A midwife by profession.

• My story is not of one girl but of many. It is the story of Malala from Pakistan. It
    is the story of the sisters I have met from Syria and Nigeria who have been denied an education or been targeted for going to school. It is the story of millions
    of sisters who I do not know by name, but who continue to struggle for what
    should rightfully be theirs—a safe, free, quality education that allows them to
    fulfil their dreams and transform the places in which they live.
    Every girl, no matter where she lives, no matter what her circumstance, has a
    right to learn. Every leader, no matter who he or she is or the resources available
    to him or her, has a duty to fulfil and protect this right. Unfortunately, many
    leaders are not taking this responsibility seriously. They spend their money in
    other ways. They identify the problem as too large, or the solutions as unclear,
    or the girls who miss out as deserving less than their own sons and daughters.
    Getting millions of girls into school in the next 15 years may seem impossible
    but it is not. The challenge is significant but the world does not lack the funds or
    the knowledge to achieve 12 years of free, safe, quality primary and secondary
    education for every girl—and every boy.
    We have shown how the necessary funding can be found. This book now shows
    what works to support girls’ education and helps us understand why. It also
    makes it clear that the world cannot achieve a sustainable, peaceful, and prosperous future without investing in girls’ education.
    The world’s leaders have just opened the door on a new future by agreeing to a set of
    ambitious goals for our people and planet. But these will not be achieved without investment in girls’ education. How can we all succeed when half of us are held back?
    This is why this book is needed now. To help us meet the ambition set out in
    the new Sustainable Development Goals. To help us understand how we can
    overcome the barriers to girls’ education which have stood for too long without
    adequate understanding, challenge, or action to overcome them. To show the
    world’s leaders that girls’ education is not only the right thing, but the smart
    thing to do if we are to meet the new future they have opened to us.
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 17 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    xviii WHAT WORKS IN GIRLS’ EDUCATION
    This book shows clearly what girls and women themselves have known across
    generations: the world cannot afford to NOT educate its girls. Girls’ education is
    the key to our new and better future. The key to increased health, prosperity, and
    security. If the world’s leaders truly want to invest in this future then they must
    deliver on their promises and start investing in books, in education—in hope for
    girls who have too often been left behind.
    Girls are desperate to learn and to lead. I have met many of my brave sisters
    who every day encounter incredible obstacles to education, including war, poverty, and even personal attacks. Yet their knowledge for learning is never overwhelmed and they continue to show up. It is time that our commitment, determination, and action mirrors and honors theirs. This book helps us understand
    how it can.
    It helps us understand what we must do together to see the last girl forced to
    marry rather than go to school, to work rather than learn, to be denied an education because her family cannot afford it, or fear for her safety when she leaves
    for school. It helps us understand how girls who beat the odds and show up
    for school can receive the education they deserve, the education that will allow
    them to learn, grow and become leaders in their communities.
    This book also reminds us that the world has set its ambition for education too low
    for too long and shows how we can help girls stay in school for longer. A quality
    basic education is a first and necessary step but if we are to truly see the power of
    girls to transform our world we must aim higher and secure a full course of primary and secondary education for every girl. As my father always believed for me
    and as I now believe for every girl, basic education begins to unlock girls’ potential
    but secondary education provides them with the wings to fly: to transform not
    only their lives but the lives of their families and their communities.
    This book shows the world that it must do more for girls’ education if it is to
    secure the future it wants. It also shows how this can be done from primary
    through secondary school. But the reason I welcome this book above all else
    is because it shows us that any efforts to get all girls into school will not work
    unless they address the violence and conflict that can stop girls from learning.
    This summer, as I said “goodbye” to my life as a child on my 18th birthday, I
    stood with girls who had been forced to leave their country and flee to Lebanon,
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 18 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    WHAT WORKS IN GIRLS’ EDUCATION xix
    girls who had been forced to leave not just their homes but their schools. But
    they refused to leave their education. To them the right to an education was just
    as basic as the right to food or water. Yet the world is failing them by failing to
    protect this right.
    If we are to see our world transformed by educated and empowered girls then
    we have to end violence against girls whose only crime is wanting an education—not just the violence of conflict but the violence of forced marriage, of
    child labor, of targeted attacks, of assault or abduction in the classroom. This
    book helps us understand how we can do so.
    I am proud that the Malala Fund is a partner with the Center for Universal Education at the Brookings Institution and with Gene Sperling, its founder, and
    Rebecca Winthrop, its current director, who are authoring this book. The future
    of girls globally depends on all of us working together, across cultures and our
    differences, joining together in this common cause. I’m grateful for their hard
    work, which they have undertaken for decades.
    It is my hope that the evidence this book presents encourages our leaders to
    match the courage, determination and ambition of girls who struggle daily to
    realize their right to an education. The challenge is significant but the knowledge
    and funding are available to meet it. All that is needed is the action. I believe that
    we can and will educate every girl. I hope that you will join us.
    Malala Yousafzai
    Student, Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, and Co-Founder of the Malala Fund
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 19 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 20 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    CHAPTER 1
    Introduction
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 1 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 2 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    WHAT WORKS IN GIRLS’ EDUCATION 3
    s Malala implies in her moving foreword to this book, there should
    not be a need for a book like this on the evidence for the benefits of
    girls’ education. For many, the idea that any child could be denied
    an education due to poverty, custom, the law, or terrorist threats is
    just wrong and unimaginable. Period. End of story. Indeed, those of us who have
    worked to make the case for girls’ education with evidence, statistics, and case
    studies know well that the millions of people around the world who recoiled at
    hearing of girls being kidnapped in Nigeria, or shot in Pakistan, or threatened
    in Afghanistan simply because they wanted an education did not need a book
    of evidence to know it was wrong. They did not need academic studies or policy
    analyses to know that little girls should have the same chances as their brothers
    to learn; to contribute to their families, communities, and nations; and to make
    good on their dreams.
    And yet, we know that a thorough understanding of the evidence on why girls’ education matters and of the evidence on what works in educating girls is undeniably
    essential. We understand that in virtually every nation, resources are scarce and that
    those arguing for a greater investment in girls’ education must come to the table
    with not only a soft heart but also hard-headed evidence on why the returns from
    investing in girls are so high that no nation or family can afford not to educate their
    girls. This book is for those who want to understand this evidence. It is designed
    to provide easy and one-stop access to hundreds of studies on girls’ education for
    any academic, expert, nongovernmental organization (NGO) staff member, policymaker, or journalist seeking to dive into the evidence and policies on girls’ education. But it is also designed and written for the concerned global citizen who simply
    wants to better understand the issues and do their part in working for high-quality
    girls’ education around the world. (This is the second time that the Center for Universal Education has sponsored the writing of such a book. An earlier version of this
    book was also produced from the Center in 2004, with the coauthorship of longtime
    girls’ education champion and expert Barbara Herz. Eleven years later, we felt that
    A
    What Works in Girls Education-FINAL.indd 3 9/18/15 9:13 AM
    4 WHAT WORKS IN GIRLS’ EDUCATION
    the proliferation of new studies, new developments, and new issues demanded a
    second book, which we are proud to roll out, together with Malala and the Malala
    Fund, along with the documentary on her fight for girls’ education.)
    The Power of Evidence and Girls’ Education
    Whether you are an expert or a generalist and concerned citizen, we think you
    will find that there are two things about the evidence on girls’ education that are
    both striking and profound:
    • First, the evidence is extensive on education for girls in poor nations. The
    sheer magnitude of evidence is undeniable. There are few if any policy areas in the world where the evidence is so deep and sweeping as are the
    findings that support a far greater global commitment to girls’ education.
    • Second, girls’ education is the world’s best investment with the widest-ranging returns. What the evidence contained in this book makes so
    clear are the vast, wide-ranging, and multifaceted returns from investing
    in girls’ education. Thus, this second aspect is why we believe that girls’
    education is the best investment that can be made anywhere in the world.
    In advanced nations, we are used to hearing the case for why education in
    general contributes to wages, growth, and upward mobility. These returns
    from education are just as strong in poorer nations as well. But what makes
    girls’ education in developing nations truly the investment with the highest return in the world is the degree to which it leads to better outcomes
    in not only the traditional economic areas of growth and incomes but also
    in its positive impact in areas like reducing rates of infant mortality, maternal mortality, child marriage, and the incidence of HIV/AIDS and malaria, along with its positive impact on agricultural productivity, resilience
    to natural disasters, and women’s empowerment. In chapter 2, this book
    breaks down the evidence by categories in all these areas.
    “Especially Girls”: Never Forgetting the Boys
    One challenge in writing a book on girls’ education is the danger of giving the
    impression that the crisis in education in many poor nations is just a girls’ issue.
    Nothing could be further from the truth. The percentage of boys completing a

M
    1 Reply
  • My story is not of one girl but of many. It is the story of Malala from Pakistan. It
    is the story of the sisters I have met from Syria and Nigeria who have been denied an education or been targeted for going to school. It is the story of millions
    right to learn. Every leader, no matter who he or she is or the resources available
    other ways. They identify the problem as too large, or the solutions as unclear,
    but it is not. The challenge is significant but the world does not lack the funds or
    makes it clear that the world cannot achieve a sustainable, peaceful, and prosperous future without investing in girls’ education.
    The world’s leaders have just opened the door on a new future by agreeing to a set of
    ambitious goals for our people and planet. But these will not be achieved without investment in girls’ education. How can we all succeed when half of us are held back?
    world’s leaders that girls’ education is not only the right thing, but the smart
    generations: the world cannot afford to NOT educate its girls. Girls’ education is
    the key to our new and better future. The key to increased health, prosperity, and
    security. If the world’s leaders truly want to invest in this future then they must
    deliver on their promises and start investing in books, in education—in hope for
    who every day encounter incredible obstacles to education, including war, poverty, and even personal attacks. Yet their knowledge for learning is never overwhelmed and they continue to show up. It is time that our commitment, determination, and action mirrors and honors theirs. This book helps us understand
    how it can.
    marry rather than go to school, to work rather than learn, to be denied an education because her family cannot afford it, or fear for her safety when she leaves
    for school can receive the education they deserve, the education that will allow
    This book also reminds us that the world has set its ambition for education too low
    for too long and shows how we can help girls stay in school for longer. A quality
    basic education is a first and necessary step but if we are to truly see the power of
    girls to transform our world we must aim higher and secure a full course of primary and secondary education for every girl. As my father always believed for me
    and as I now believe for every girl, basic education begins to unlock girls’ potential
    is because it shows us that any efforts to get all girls into school will not work
    unless they address the violence and conflict that can stop girls from learning.
    stood with girls who had been forced to leave their country and flee to Lebanon,
    they refused to leave their education. To them the right to an education was just
    as basic as the right to food or water. Yet the world is failing them by failing to
    protect this right.
    we have to end violence against girls whose only crime is wanting an education—not just the violence of conflict but the violence of forced marriage, of
    child labor, of targeted attacks, of assault or abduction in the classroom. This
    I am proud that the Malala Fund is a partner with the Center for Universal Education at the Brookings Institution and with Gene Sperling, its founder, and
    of girls globally depends on all of us working together, across cultures and our
    realize their right to an education. The challenge is significant but the knowledge
    and funding are available to meet it. All that is needed is the action. I believe that
    Malala Yousafzai
    CHAPTER 1
    Introduction
    worked to make the case for girls’ education with evidence, statistics, and case
    analyses to know that little girls should have the same chances as their brothers
    to learn; to contribute to their families, communities, and nations; and to make
    good on their dreams.
    And yet, we know that a thorough understanding of the evidence on why girls’ education matters and of the evidence on what works in educating girls is undeniably
    essential. We understand that in virtually every nation, resources are scarce and that
    those arguing for a greater investment in girls’ education must come to the table
    with not only a soft heart but also hard-headed evidence on why the returns from
    investing in girls are so high that no nation or family can afford not to educate their
    girls. This book is for those who want to understand this evidence. It is designed
    to provide easy and one-stop access to hundreds of studies on girls’ education for
    any academic, expert, nongovernmental organization (NGO) staff member, policymaker, or journalist seeking to dive into the evidence and policies on girls’ education. But it is also designed and written for the concerned global citizen who simply
    wants to better understand the issues and do their part in working for high-quality
    girls’ education around the world. (This is the second time that the Center for Universal Education has sponsored the writing of such a book. An earlier version of this
    book was also produced from the Center in 2004, with the coauthorship of longtime
    girls’ education champion and expert Barbara Herz. Eleven years later, we felt that
    A
    second book, which we are proud to roll out, together with Malala and the Malala
    will find that there are two things about the evidence on girls’ education that are
    sheer magnitude of evidence is undeniable. There are few if any policy areas in the world where the evidence is so deep and sweeping as are the
    • Second, girls’ education is the world’s best investment with the widest-ranging returns. What the evidence contained in this book makes so
    girls’ education in developing nations truly the investment with the highest return in the world is the degree to which it leads to better outcomes
    in its positive impact in areas like reducing rates of infant mortality, maternal mortality, child marriage, and the incidence of HIV/AIDS and malaria, along with its positive impact on agricultural productivity, resilience
    impression that the crisis in education in many poor nations is just a girls’ issue.

• Hi friends, happy to be part of this course. I just enroll today but I am already enjoying the course, Mang Panmun Ishaku is my name and from an overview of what I have seen in the orientation module, I am determined to study this course to the end and I recommend this for parents and Intending parents as well. Looking forward to have a great time on this platform

• Hi friends, happy to be part of this course. I just enroll today but i am already enjoying the course, Mang Panmun Ishaku is my name and from an overview of what i have seen in the orientation module, I am determined to study this course to the end and I recommend this for parents and Intending parents as well. Looking foward to have a great time on this platform

• That's great, thumps up

• @akshaya_chandar said in Introduce Yourself in Girl Centered Design!:

My story is not of one girl but of many. It is the story of Malala from Pakistan. It
    how it can.
    protect this right.
    Malala Yousafzai
    CHAPTER 1
    Introduction
    good on their dreams.
    A
    This is elaborate exposition of the challenges facing the girl child

• My name is Fatima and I live in Pakistan. I'm a student and I want to learn what actually Girl Centered Design is.

• Hello everyone,
    I'm Wafaa and I currently work as a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Coordinator in a local NGO in Egypt.

• Peter Gakuo from Kenya. I'm interested in learning how to design girl centred programs.

• I am taking this course because _____ I wanted to learn design thinking approach to solve issues faced by Females .

By the time I finish this course, I want to be able to _____help girls in my community to solve their problems in effective way.

• Hello, my name is Moses, i am a project manager and i am glad to join in this course.

• Hello everyone..

I am Mundhir from Yemen. I have taken some other courses and I am taking this one along with M&E and Data Use.

Good luck for all of us

• I am Adhikshita Vishnoi, from India. I study in 10th grade. My hobbies are dancing, robotics, art and I play cricket. Earlier in our school, there was no team for girls to play cricket and I convinced 14 other girls to join the team and play with me as a team.

• Hi.everyone
    Iam mukhter.from Yemen

• Hi.everyone
    Iam mukhter.from Yemen

• Free girls .there is ways

• Free girls .there is ways

• Hi, I'm Osborn from Ghana.
    I took this course to broaden my knowledge on how to handle girls in a way that focuses on their growth.

Thank you.

• très importants

• Yolanda L. Robinson, Community Health Work

• Yolanda L. Robinson, Community Health Work.

• am esther from kenya, i am a psychosocial counsellor working with a program that ensures adolescents reproductive health including their mental health wellbeing.

• I am a Monitoring and Evaluation staff and during my field visits in the community I have discovered that girls experience many problems ( teenage pregnancy, school drop out, unsafe sex )as particularly evidenced during the Covid 19 pandemic. Am taking this course to give me a deeper insight and understanding of how to making projects that are tailor made for girls.

• @instructional_team said in Introduce Yourself in Girl Centered Design!:

Welcome to the course discussion board!

To get started in this course, follow the prompts below and respond to at least two other learners:

1. Introduce yourself to the others in this course (name, country, industry/field of work).

2. What are your goals for the course, and how do you plan to apply them in your work?

3. What are you most excited to learn?

To be more successful in this course, we recommend you work in a team. Create or join one today!

Hello I am Fatmata Bah, I am from Freetown Sierra Leone and a student at the Limkokwing University of Creative Technology and also a staff at DAQVAH Charity Foundation.

My goal is to be empowered as a girl and with all what I will learn am gonna put it in to practice and show colleagues that equality should prevail.
    Am excited to learn how to find her, listen to her and design with her.

• I am from Malawi. I have interest in girl centered design because I would like to be able to help girls in my community by making sure that my service have impact and addresses priority issues

• Hi. My name is Tatenda. I'm from Zimbabwe.

• Hi. My name is Tatenda. I'm from Zimbabwe.

• Hello. My name is Maria Odu from Nigeria, West Africa. I'm very excited to take and Complete this course as i have a passion to help the girl child. I hope this course makes all that possible. Thanks Philanthropy U for this opportunity.

• Hello my name is Barlu. I am from Sierra Leone. I am passionate about making a difference in my community by building resilience and empowering the vulnerable, mostly women and young girls and boys, in using their voice to demand that their rights be respected.

• I am Bezawit Tesfaye from College of Veterinary medicine and Agriculture of Addis Ababa University , Ethiopia. I am now 5th year student of Doctor of veterinary medicine Degree program. I want to enroll in this design because i want to see what do i look in glass of Girl centered design which i expect help me to increase my soft skill.

• My name is Agbenike Deborah. I am a Nigerian. I have a Bachelor's degree in Botany . I love to ensure that each girl child I meet maximises her potential. I am a Christain.

• My name is Aderonke Agbenike. I am a Christian. I am a Nigerian. I have a bachelor's degree in Botany. I love to ensure that each girl child I meet maximises her potentials

• Hello , name mabel ajir from Nigeria.

• Hi Greetings from Nairobi, Kenya. My name is Liz Njuguna and am here to interact with all of you. Am passionate about girl empowerment and overall community development. Thanks

• good day i work very closely with females i am very excited to begin this course

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.