Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Regional differences would work especially in these times of Covid-19 where everything is done virtually. If you find someone with the expertise that is required for your organisation and if they are in another region this should not stop stop you from recruiting the person

1 Reply
  • In case of regional differences, technology is considered a good ally to make someone to join the Board if his or her skills fits perfectly. It could be a good thing to the organization to have an overseas vision

• It is better to know Regional Tools.The more diverse the Board members are, the better the organization is.

• although is good to consider regional difference ensure the board are aware of the context the organization is working in.

L
    1 Reply
  • Regional differences can be beneficial because this will ensure diversity in skills, ideas and economic background. Some regions may have individuals who are well-off and can contribute to the organization or can easily access donors while other regions may have individuals who are not well-off but have skills that can benefit the organization.

• Regional differences are less and less of an issue as technology evolves, however travel expenses for board members may still pose minor issues for local NGOs who's board members may wand to directly see the work they are doing. Especially at the beginning stages of development when oversight is key and funds are low.

• Keeping in mind regional differences allows the board to approach problems or challenges from different or broader perspectives. In this manner, more ways to resolve an issue or a problem can be put forward having been enriched by experiences or insights brought about by looking at the matter from various angles and even cognitive biases.

• As I am a board member for a performing arts organization, it doesn’t make sense to have board members from other cities UNLESS they formerly lived in our city. It is important that our board members understand the history and nuances of our city, and that they are able to attend the organization’s performances.

• Regional differences will help even in securing outside donors and help in the fundraising process

A
    1 Reply
  • In my opinion the fact that time alone can never be the only factor for selecting a board member means that we have to include other considerations. Technology would deal with presence and the availability of members but in terms of talent, we need someone who understands our context and therefore can provide oversight that is relevant, in terms of treasure it might be necessary to get regional diversity for purposes of broadening our catchment area but these members must be able to identify with what we are doing and sometimes regional connections come into play here.

• I think all board members should have basic skill for them to be effective. This should include basic Accounting to be able to participate in Financial oversight, Risk Management to be to effectively govern on risk that may effect organization strategy and sustainability, and Compliance to be able to govern within the laws and key stakeholders expectations. For NFPs it important for members to have knowledge on Humanitarian Principles over and above understanding sub-sector dynamics

• As everything in Covid times have been done through online medium, the world is now an online space where people with different expertise shall be welcomed as a volunteer to help the organization . Breaking the regional Shackles and exploring on a world platform should be promoted.

• Regional differences can be beneficial, different perspectives, and ideas. Technology has opened the door for companies to extend opportunities to qualified candidates who live in various regions.

• We need to think of regional differences though it is made with a thought to comply by a standard protocol but somewhere it can vary as well.

• I do think the board members come to the office and start a discussion (informal) over a cup of coffee/tea. That is how the ice breaking session could be completed. As we have limited budget, we focus on this. Then meeting the director, talking over different topics.

• I do think the board members come to the office and start a discussion (informal) over a cup of coffee/tea. That is how the ice breaking session could be completed. As we have limited budget, we focus on this. Then meeting the director, talking over different topics.

• Finding board candidates from different region has it's pros and cons. Instead of rushing to fill the spot in the board, it is essential is to find candidates who share the same vision, and ensure that they are a perfect fit for the role. The candidate must be cultural sensetive to the organisation that they are joining. The prospect candidate must share the same values to avoid conflict of interest on the long run.

E
    1 Reply
  • Regional representation is a key factor in forming a balanced board for nonprofit organization. It shouldn't be negleted though caution must be exercised in doing so.

• Regional difference will enhance board efficiency by bringing people with different perspective and possible solutions to existing challenge of the organization, however it should be noted that it will be cost effective maintaining.

• regional differences has a lot of impact and coverages in this process, take for instance, health sectors and values.
    they are major outliners to say but least, diabetics and obesity are majorly founds in the rural area while depression and comical diseases are majorly founds in the core cities.
    Now for a board to be effectives and versatile, they will needs a lot of different experiences from different background of the societies, depending the mission and vision of the organization.
    most especially, when viewing from different perspectives, life in the rural area and urban area has different activities and exposures, so giving me to structure and organization I would prefer getting people from different view and exposure depending on their experiences, with this i will be able track special area where our services is more needed.
    thanks.

• Covid proved that one does not need to be onsite to get things dne. A hybrid model can be incorporated

• Regional differences are a strong asset to a board and bring much value to perspective, diversity, networks, and reach.

A
    1 Reply
  • We are living in a time in which regional differences should be taken unto consideration and it is indeed a plus and blessing in setting competent board, more important for organizations located in the global south.
    Technologies have in fact create a conducive and fair ground for making use of regional differences.

• Regional differences can be good especially for a nonprofit that operates in different regions. You can have board members from the head office and also from those different regions. Those board members can be helpful because they are on the ground and they understand the needs of that region.

• Absolutely correct, the future of work is all about using technology to get the most of individuals.

• I agree with many of the comments that regional differences are becoming less and less of an issue with the aid of technology. As a remote organization that works beyond borders, we are used to conducting our affairs virtually. The main issue is coordinating across time zones, but it's really great to be able to connect with knowledgable and passionate professionals that are based in different parts of the world. I also agree that if an organization is working in a particular region, it is important to have board members either based in that region or are from the region, understand the context of the region and live in other regions.

J
    1 Reply
  • Having a diverse board is a healthy practise and diversity in terms of regions is equally good. Having some members of the board who come from a different region is great, for instance if the organization is based in East Africa, you. can have board members both from East Africa and some from Asia, Europe or USA. The bottom line however is the value that each board member brings on the table in terms of skills, time and resources.

• This has greatly improved through the use of technology and international networking in social media and such portals. It is though important to keep in mind that not all areas have access and/or the skills and technology to do so.

• Excellent points made in this regard. Technology is so vital for this to function well in large areas and in diverse continents.

• For us it's important that board members fully understand the community that we work in.

• In case of regional differences, technology is considered a good ally to make someone to join the Board if his or her skills fits perfectly. It could be a good thing to the organization to have an overseas vision

• I agree that we live globally now and a diverse board is important. They do need to have visited, worked with or consulted with the beneficiaries. In addition to having the skill sets needed, passion and commitment is critical.

• Great and healthy board culture is key in working towards achievements plans set

• I like the idea of Regional diversity. It is no secret that others may be well advanced than us, therefore I am confident that Regional participation may bring on board fresh/recent break throughs in different areas of thought.

• I also feel that diversity on the board would bring on healthy, challenging discussions, and healthy "competition" amongst the board members, for lack of a better term.

• Would love to hear from anybody who has successfully recruited from a different region, and how it's going, and what challenges they are facing if any, especially when it comes to conducting meetints.

Will be looking out for a response.

• Regional representation is best practiced for international organizations but for the local organization is not, and it is a key factor in forming a balanced board for nonprofit organizations. It shouldn't be neglected though caution must be exercised in doing so.

• I Believe this to be true. Despite other challenges that it may pose, having a board member from another region should help to garner wider support for the organisation.

• @TamSSF said in Module 3: Regional Tools:

Regional differences are a strong asset to a board and bring much value to perspective, diversity, networks, and reach.

Absolutely. It can be a strong asset indeed. Travel does not have to be an issue especially with so many ways of conducting meetings using technology. Would be great, however, if the board is able to come together at least once during the term of office.

• Hi,
    Regional representation ensures diversity within a board and opens doors into areas that may otherwise be difficult for the organisation to reach.
    Of course recruitment should be conducted with all needs in mind. If a candidate has the required skills and is out of the primary region, then by all ,means they should be considered highly for the diversity they bring to the board and for the prospect of expanding the support of the organisation in areas where they would not have otherwise reached. The positive long term effects of this arrangement in terms of publicity, support etc far outweigh any inconveniences of time differences, cultures etc that may arise.

• Regional differences are an opportunity for your organization to become more inclusive and impactful. By respecting and addressing these differences, you can create a stronger and more diverse membership base that better serves your non-profit's mission.

• I agree with you. It's paramount that the pressing needs of the organization inform your decisions on recruitment.

• Regional difference is not necessarily a barrier to effective board management, but rather it's a blessing in disguise as it avails different perspectives, donors from across the globe, and a richer network.

• Technology has made the world a better place. However, this can not be easily achievable in areas where access to tools such as Laptops, and Cellphone network is a challenge.

• This is true!

• Yes. I agree. This is true.

• Regional Tools would help to enhance our board and cooperate with our mission. Our initiatives are community led and we consider the voices of the communities we serve. Having regional tools would help us to better meet the needs of the people.

• For the Regional Differences cultural competence and diversified knowledge to work and thrive in different geographical context is so important in the organization and for the Board members to have all such competences and skills.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.