Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Identifying board members (gender balance considered) with a couple of traits reduces on the number of board members required to form a board. i personally appreciate a board of few committed board members (5-6).

J
    D
    P
    5 Replies
  • At our organisation we expect our board members to assist with the fundraising initiatives. We have two big fundraisers for the year our annual Dinner Dance and a Golf Day. The members are expected to sell tickets as well as assist with the setup and arrangements on the day. For the golf day they are expected to sell Fourballs as well as get in prizes etc.
    The board members are very good with assisting with our fundraising projects and also hands on at the events.

• In 2021 our fundraising goal is 200,000 usd with at least 50,000 being in the form of monthly recurring individual donations.

P
    2 Replies
  • The Foundation that I work for does have a fundraising expectation. I think that it can deter people from our board if they don't have the money to directly donate themselves. Our board currently has several older members, and they have served from several years. I think we could benefit from fresh, young minds. I think we could still accomplish both objectives by having a tiered fundraising expectation. For example, new board members could have a reduced fundraising expectation for 1-2 years depending on the total length of their board commitment. It would be less intimidating for new members to join, and those members that don't have personal money to donate could learn effective fundraising strategies before committing to a high fundraising amount.

P
    S
    2 Replies
  • In the US, most foundations give only to registered 501(c)3s not many give to individuals...so I started looking for a Fiscal Sponsor (a 501(c)3 that would act as a "parent organization" to the project for which I am seeking funding. There is, I found, something called an Accelerator that takes on projects and helps them become 501(c)3s. This would be very good to be accepted by the Accelerator.

M
    1 Reply
  • In 2021 our fundraising goal is 200,000 usd with at least 50,000 being in the form of monthly recurring individual donations.

• Fundraising is very important to my non-profit (STEM with LOVE).

We need funds to acquire STEM Kits for the kids we serve.

We are also looking at other ways to generate funds to help us keep up with our mission when we aren't getting enough donations for our operations.

One that is key to our mission I to manufacture/produce low cost STEM Kits which will be sold at a subsided rate. Proceeds from sales goes back into our non-profit to cover our operational cost.

At these early stage, I have learnt from this course how to strategically get board members who can either give or get us funding.

D
    1 Reply
  • It seems reasonable that board members should be tasked with working out the ways and means of funding the organisation, doesn't it?

• If the mission of a nonprofit is compelling, it could help improve the chances of successful fundraising by board members, couldn't it?

J
    1 Reply
  • While it is expected of the board members to either give or get funds to ensure that nonprofit is financially sustainable, what do we do if a potential board member is quite skilled in technical area the non profit needs but does no have the capacity to give or get funds?

• I quite agree with that.

• 6 looks somehow if they all having voting right, there could be a tie. I suggest that if the CEO is also a board member, he should not have voting right which brings it down to 5 votes.

P
    1 Reply
  • Fundraising expectations into my organization and the Board are related to guarantee financial sustainability in order to be able to implement all the programs, projects and activities that have been planned before.

• SO does it mean Jennifer that you are planning that your Resource Mobilisation Strategy is conducted by someone who does not belong to the organization?

• When there are a lot of diverse board members, the fundraising expectation may increase because they have a various networking..

P
    1 Reply
  • Since ensuring resources of the organization is a core responsibility of the board, I surmise that it would be ideal for the Chair of the Board as well as the governance committee to develop a program for the members of the Board who have the time and talent to sit in the board but may not have the treasure to acquire and hone their fundraising skills. While they may initially be unable to contribute significantly to the organization's finances, their belief in the mission of the organization and their desire to help the organization reach their beneficiaries, setting realistic fundraising expectations may serve as a motivation rather than a burden for them.

• this is what an organization can get or should be expecting from a board member and this expectation can be mate either through direct donation from the member or through connection or alternative sources of funding.

• In my own opinion, I think fundraising needs being innovative, optimistic, patient, overseeing, and good reasoning capacity for the fundraisers' leaders. This is so because, many funders in your specified area of operation might be having many organizations to attend to which create a strong competition. Therefore, those who leads the fundraising of an organization should be innovative enough to develop and raise new ideas that could steal the funder's attention over the other competitors. It should be considered that the reason or need of funding must be well reasonable and should be alive to win the chance.

For, optimistic, the idea is simply for encouraging the fundraisers to be more hopeful than what they should averagely be. Discouraging others in many aspects of life becomes the problem in most cases of collaborative works where some with little hope tend to throw negative energy to their colleagues.

B
    1 Reply
  • This topic has really expand my understanding.

• I second you.

• Fundraising should be one of the major priorities or responsibilities of a board and I really feel it is very smart to have a give and go type of atmosphere and to have clear expectations.

1. very dynamic fundraising board or team
    2. being able meet target
      3.establish strong and reliable list of donors (recurring)
    3. Being to arrive to an automatic increase of our monthly donations
    4. Achieve independence in funds to expand project or join new ones
  • Fundraising should be one of the major priorities or responsibilities of a board and I really feel that to find out if you Board is really committed to the organization and I think it would be perfectly acceptable to have a "Give or Get" policy amongst the Board. All Boards should be cognizant of the financials of the organization and should understand what needs to happen in order for the organization to do what it does best which is helping the community and impacting the community.

• Direçtor need to be able to liase with external stakeholder for fund raising

• The board should be strategic in the organization fundraising process.

• Board members should have a proper understanding regarding the day to day operations of the organization, its strength and weakness both, further opportunities to strive for.
    Based on this, the members should go for fundraising activities.

E
    1 Reply
  • This module did not discuss fundraising expectations, so I'm not sure what I should be addressing here. The only comment I believe may be relevant is that our board members will be expected to fundraise.

• Fund raising is a core responsibility of the board. Fundraising is crucial for nonprofits to complete their projects and fulfill their causes. Without fundraising, organizations would have no incoming revenue and would not be able to provide a service.

• Fundraising expectation:

• To set up an organization that works on the organic sector of the agriculture

• To educate the ill-effects of use of chemical based agriculture on health

• Set up a startup to create awareness amongst the producers and consumers on the benefits of healthy organic products

• I'm Daniel. My question is; is it possible for a board to have two board secretarial?

• But on the other hand, burden of tasks can make one quit, instead, invite more people to join the board

E
    1 Reply
  • As a board, you can consider the three T's needed by the board.

• Fundraising expectations are high with the board members. This means that many items needs to be put into consideration for people to do some donations. And three Ts should be considered

• Very interesting andvrelevant

• Our board currently has a "give or get" contribution of $2500. I have heard that this is very low in the executive board space. I am curious if others can share what their board contribution is? Thanks!!

• Very interesting andvrelevant

• Right now we are still in the startup phase, but fundraising is at the top of our list since without funds we will get nowhere. We only have one board member so everything falls on him. We are currently seeking more board members to make it easier on him and to help with fundraising.

• Rural community empowerment in agriculture

• Board members are expected to be able to raise fund either personally or influence others affluent to support the organization

• It is imprtant for members to know that operations need to e sustained so organisations become self sufficient. External funding does not necessarily cover 100% of operatinal costs, hence fundraising in-kind or monetary value.

Goals set mujst be broken down to activity level and costed so as to know what is needed to achieve set goals.

This serves as a yard stick for measuring performance and actual vs planned

• To develop a fundraising strategy follow these 8 steps. Then implement a fundraising action plan with these seven steps to success. Free resources. Social justice. Social change portal. Types: Campaigning, Organizing, Social justice.

• Here are six fundraising goals that can help your organization succeed in the long run.
    Raise Brand Awareness.
    Acquire New Recurring Donors.
    Increase Average Monthly Gift Size.
    Increase Average One-Time Gift Size.
    Increase Number of Gifts Through Different Channels.
    Test Your Emails.

How do you determine fundraising goals?
    Image result for fundraising expectations
    To reach your most ambitious fundraising goals, your organization will need to identify and reach out to supporters with the potential to make major gifts. Both philanthropic indicators and wealth markers can help you determine who among your potential supporters is likely capable of and willing to make a major gift.

• 10 Different Types of Fundraising Methods (Including Pros and Cons)
    Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Door-to-Door Solicitation.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• Thank you very much.

Also make use of this Information .

10 Different Types of Fundraising Methods (Including Pros and Cons)
    Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• Dear Shepherds

Make use of this Information again

Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• 10 Different Types of Fundraising Methods (Including Pros and Cons)
    Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

Make uswe of that information

• Make use of this Information again

Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• Well l guess you are right

• Make us of this again.

Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• Thus very true. Make use of this Information again it might be helpful.

Direct Mail.
    Events.
    Online Donations.
    Phone Solicitations.
    E-mail Marketing.
    Text-to-Give.
    Crowdfunding.

• I expect my board to fundraise for the fruit tree initiatives.

• Yes I am entering my repsonds to test this.

• Great insight!

• The great module.

• I LIKE SUBJECTS VERY INTERESTING

• It never really made sense why a Board in the first place since the CEO is already doing the leadership. I now appreciate the value aBoard could input. Especially the fact that they are supposed to oversight the CEO.

Learning new things is always a fantastic experience for me. Sooner than later, I shall be involved in selecting persons to represent the Board. Frankly, I was aware of the need for diverse skills and the capacity to raise funds. Not realising there are other values they could contribute even without funding ties, further enriching collective experiences.

Though I believe having the CEO on the Board (ex-officio) serves the Board way better. A well-constituted Board should be able to reign in any wayward CEO.

I [love this resource] (https://boardsource.org/resources/board-responsibilities-structures-faqs/) to bits and cherish it; equally, the PDF template setting out the board members' parameters.

• my fund raising expectations are to first stir up the passion in all board members to be committed and decicated to our misssion by living by example and donating not only cash but in kind and resources to the foundation.
    i secondly want to build a culture where the working force from the CEO down will be committed enough to want to commit part of their own salaries and resources to the dream we are building.
    i beleive this places us in the position to be able to call out for fundraising at any level becaus ethen, we have set the example and we are committted to what we are buildinmg and the success of the organization.
    i hope we can get to raise enough or more than enough to cater fot the first year programs of our organazation.

• Fundraising I be lieve should be a major part of the board role directly and indirectly .

• It is very important to be clear with board members regarding fundraising expectations from the very beginning, and throughout their time as board members. Fundraising expectations should be clarified from the time potential board members are interviewed for their volunteer positions on the board. These expectations should also be included in the board manual. While organizations can decide to have a "give or get" policy, I would strongly advocate for a "give AND get" policy. Even if board members do not have financial means, contributing ANY amount to the organization is better than not contributing at all, because it is difficult to raise funds from donors when board members are not themselves contributing to the organizations whose board they are a part of. I think it also helps to give board members fundraising targets, and to both assign donors to them with whom to cultivate and steward relationships and to ask them to approach additional donors in their network that are potential donors to the organization. In order to make this a smooth process for board members, the executive director and development director should always be ready with tools that would make the fundraising job and outreach to donors easier for board members.

• Fundraising Expectation
    Each and every board member is expected to contribute in building the financial strength of the organisation. Organisation without resources is like a non-existent organization while organization with adequate resources, on the other hands is amicably able to implement activities and meet its goals. It's therefore recommended to recruit board members who are willing to directly contribute their funds into the organisational work or are willing to take active part in fundraising for the organisation. It should however be noted that the ability of a potential board member to contribute finances is not the only quality needed to be selected into the board. Other factors such as ability to contribute their time and ideas are key in selection as well. Hence a balance should be set along those qualities.

• The board is expected to see to the fundraising aspect of the organization. Many organizations creates a 'give or get' expectation for board members, this means that the board members are expected to donate or raise a certain amount of money. You must give or get something.

• The BOD sets the fundraising expectations and sets the tone of how they will proceed. Some Board members provide direct funding, but not all. Many are on the Board to just give of their time and/or expertise.

• Board fundraising expectations is a very interesting topic. Event the "give or get" model caters to individuals with a wealthy network. I've heard of boards being asked that the organizations for which they serve on be in the top three of financial donations they make in a year. This allows board members to give what they can at any level.
    I think that it makes sense that a board make connections for funding opportunities, but I'm curious how it plays out in connections for grants or other more specific opportunities.

• Fundraising is a challenge especially in a small town, and if you are not well connected with key people in the community. Friends and family have been very supportive, but most are of modest means. Getting them to ask their networks has been more of a challenge. I have had one fundraising advocate so far to reach out to people I don't know. My project is in the field of mental health which is less attractive to some.

• Fundraising is a challenge especially in a small town, and if you are not well connected with key people in the community. Friends and family have been very supportive, but most are of modest means. Getting them to ask their networks has been more of a challenge. I have had one fundraising advocate so far to reach out to people I don't know. My project is in the field of mental health which is less attractive to some.

• the fundraising is expectation ability of the board member committee to be able to raised resources for the effective means of achieving the mission of the organization

• the fundraising is expectation ability of the board member committee to be able to raised resources for the effective means of achiveing the mission of the organization

• I appreciate the give-or-get model when setting fundraising expectations. However, I think for a smaller organization, raising funds should be an overall organization mission. That means using resources and connections of board members to expand the possible charitable giving base. Fundraising should be part of the over all strategy of the board - and therefore revisited for evaluation from time-to-time. In this case, a Fundraising committee would be essential.

E
    1 Reply
  • The board is excepted to either give of their time, treasure, or talents. Fundraising is important for a board as they should be able to sustain their mission via financial means. Board is responsible for maintaining fundraising by legal, ethical, and practical means.

• Board to take a decision on funding and each look for funding .

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.