Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I gathered stories from worshippers about their virtual worship experience. A very compelling story came from a woman who acknowledged she had not been joining her faith community very much at all prior to COVID. When the church offered virtual worship experiences following the lockdown, she signed on. She felt like she had come home to the beautiful music, the moving prayers, the community of believers and the power of the sermon. It made me feel hopeful as I realized the power of a faith community could be experienced online not just in person.

• I have a friend named Fauzi, he is currently struggling for his recovery with chemotherapy because he has cancer, but he can still do well like a normal person, he can still share happiness with others and focus on doing his hobbies as usual, hopefully he gets Healed and was free from cancer, i always pray for him and donate him some money that i have for him

C
    1 Reply
  • I heard a story where my friend almost got attacked by a crocodile when he was a kid. It happened when he went fishing with his father and his father's friends. When he reached the river he slipped and began to be carried away by the rushing river water. Immediately his body was pulled to the surface by his father's friend before the crocodile grabbed him. Hearing the story made me very surprised.

N
    1 Reply
  • I heard a story where my friend almost got attacked by a crocodile when he was a kid. It happened when he went fishing with his father and his father's friends. When he reached the river he slipped and began to be carried away by the rushing river water. Immediately his body was pulled to the surface by his father's friend before the crocodile grabbed him. Hearing the story made me very surprised.

• A story about a 17 year old boy named Bryan who is able to sell his own house with an investment in the middle of the road.
    He was a smart kid and was ranked 1st even though he didn't go to school to study like his other friends. He is an expert at negotiating and is able to see the opportunities around him. With the power of a story, he is able to win over his customers to buy the products he sells. He does it wholeheartedly because he likes seeing other people have a decent place to live.

Positive desires from someone and our nature towards others will influence someone on the response that will be given. What good conclusions will be if we are positive and in accordance with what they want to hear

When other people can do it, you can certainly do it, with the power of words and confident people will see the positive side and will give confidence to the stories you tell.

A
    1 Reply

• A story from my friend that I really admire is from Tokul's story. Tokul made his story based on his experience. He said that he ever meet the terrifying ghost from Indonesia named "Kuntilanak" in the most dreadful place in Indonesia named Lawang Sewu. Because my background is scared with Kuntilanak he tell this. He talk with slowing the tempo with creepy mimic makes this story sooo powerful. Moreover, he said he punch the Kuntilanak face! How dare is he. It's really contradictive with my own personality.

He said "Where are youu Kuntilanak Come and find meee!! I'm not scared with you!" and he talk over and over again untill it really comes.

That's why I choose this story is the most powerful story telling.

N
    1 Reply
  • I have a friend named Andriyanto, he made a story to me that he was once chased by a big dog when he wanted to shop for vegetables at the market. The dog starts from barking then he responds to the barking by teasing the dog. Then he was chased by the big dog by running, shouting "Mothers help". He told me in very creepy but slightly funny words. How dare he tease the dog and run quickly. It was completely different from me because I was afraid of big dogs.

• A story I found really powerful was about a lady who started creating audio books to enable blind people develop literacy, she was inspired by her grandma who was blind which made her unable to read and illiterate. It made me feel emotional towards her call for action.

N
    D
    2 Replies
  • A story i found really powerful was vistula cases story. It made me feel cry and got my tention

E
    1 Reply
  • A story that in my opinion is very strong, namely the story of one of Indonesia's well-known journalists, Najwa Shihab who at that time invited almost all Indonesian singers to pray online concerts. The purpose of the concert is not only to provide entertainment but also to invite the public to donate to several hospitals, which during this pandemic period are in dire need of medical equipment allowances. With this of course, it makes me very touched in the midst of this pandemic, the movement that Najwa did can move many people to help members of the medical members who are currently fighting the Covid-19 Virus.

E
    1 Reply
  • A story that in my opinion is very strong, namely the story of one of Indonesia's well-known journalists, Najwa Shihab, who at that time invited almost all Indonesian singers to pray online concerts. The purpose of the concert is not only to provide entertainment but also to invite the public to donate to several hospitals, which during this pandemic period are in dire need of medical equipment allowances. With this, of course, it makes me very touched in the midst of this pandemic, the movement that Najwa did can move many people to help members of the medical members who are currently fighting the Covid-19 Virus.

• A story that in my opinion is very strong, namely the story of one of Indonesia's well-known journalists, Najwa Shihab, who at that time invited almost all Indonesian singers to pray online concerts. The purpose of the concert is not only to provide entertainment but also to invite the public to donate to several hospitals, which during this pandemic period are in dire need of medical equipment allowances. With this, of course, it makes me very touched in the midst of this pandemic, the movement that Najwa did can move many people to help members of the medical members who are currently fighting the Covid-19 Virus.

• A story that I think is very strong is a story made by FP Marchella's work, the NKCTHI Book. it contains quotes that are made according to the feelings of each person. quotes want to contain about romance, friendship, family and problems yourself. when I read this story it makes me feel that I understand myself when I have problems or struggles in the circle of friends or family. from this book we can also learn that being yourself when we know what our own problems are, we know how to solve those problems and know how to handle them. The NKCTHI book is very good and can bring readers into the story with different feelings.

J
    1 Reply
  • A story I heard before 10 years from now was impressive I can't remember all the details but the brief of the story that blind homeless guy was in street with a sign wrote on it "I can't see help me please" and a marketer for big company saw this guy and he took the sign and replace it with a new one and he write on it, after he replace it with a new story, the homeless guy gain so much charity money because of the storytelling it made me feel and value the power of words and storytelling and inspired me to do the same and help people with storytelling for NGOS.

• A story that I think has the power of storytelling is that some time ago I saw a video made by a teenager on social media. In the video, the boy tells about his father who works as an online driver. Because there was no money to continue his education to the university level, he could only occasionally fix his father's motorbike when it suffered minor damage. The teenager expressed his desire to be able to continue his education in engineering. Before long, he received news from his father, where the company where his father worked provided scholarships to outstanding children to continue their education at university. Both of them were very happy to hear the news. Without thinking, the teenager immediately registered himself. He followed selection after selection until, in the end, he successfully passed the selection and got a scholarship to study the university and department he wanted. The story made me both touched and proud of the struggles a father and son were doing. That story taught me to keep working hard and not give up on achieving my desired goals.

• there's one story i have found, and i feel so emotional. The story make me realize that a storytelling is a skill that can developed and as a tool it can be used to powerfull effect towards the listeners. a story with emotional storyline will attract audience.

• i have heard of one story , it's when my cousin was going out with his friend , his friend is so addicted playing her cellphone all the time. when they walking , she didn't realize that she would cross the traffic light. She almost hit by a car , and my cousin was quick to pull her off, and her phone was thrown then she was in shock that she almost died from her stupidity.

• A story that I found really powerful was a story from an advertisement that I have watched. There is a man, he is an employee who lives alone in an apartment. Every morning, he would have breakfast in a small canteen, then share the food with a dog. On his way to work, he would move this plant to where water from the roof fell. After work, he would run into a beggar and her daughter, then he would give his money to them. When he got home, he would leave a bunch of bananas on the doorknob of his neighbor, where an old woman lived. It went on continuously, day after day. But one day, he ran into the beggar and only saw his mother. He thought something happened to his daughter. But then the daughter came to her mother wearing a school uniform. He then smiled broadly. He saw the dog he feeds every day, the plants he put under the water growing big, and his neighbor, the old lady, began to noticed him and thank him.

The story was heart-warming. I was motivated to do more good deeds to others. It also makes me believe that every good deed that I sow will bear good fruits too.

• Thank you for sharing your story. It's really inspiring!

• I once heard the story of Kobe Bryant who went to watch his daughter play basketball. That day, his daughter's team didn't win the game. A fan of his wanted to take a picture with him but Kobe Bryant insisted in wasn't in a good mood. So, he promised to take the picture the next day. However, he died on his way to the game the next day. This story made me realise its better done today than tomorrow. It also made me see the importance of being the best one can be at any point in time.

• Touching. We can only play our part to help others of which donating is one

• A story I found really powerful was about a crying Syrian girl that has lost her parents in the Syrian civil war in 2014 . It made me cry a lot and i felt that there is no mercy or logic in this dark world , i wish i could fly to her to save her ,adopt her and tell her that everything will be ok .
    i don't remember that i cried so muck like this time when i saw the little cute girl 's complaint about her loss.
    every time i contacted with any refuge Syrian, i tried to make him feel like there is no difference between us as a way to tell him sorry for everything happened to him and his country.

• what is the story of it ? i tried to search but i didn't get anything.

• Course Facilitator

One story that stood out for me is the story of young Nigerian girls forced into early marriages and most times its was the parents of these young bright women, pushing them to marry man four times their age.

I remember growing up to a protective parents who would give the world for me, family security and love was all i know. Having to watch this young girls cut short of great things they. could become and do for the society as a whole breaks my heart . the society they live in has failed them completely

they have no voice or will power to fight the injustice they live and call life.
    I have made a promise to my self to impact the little change i can

• I was eating hot and soft chapatis coming straight out of 'chulha' (an earthen stove) prepared by a lovely woman who is also a wife of my field assistant. She kept feeding me, made by her heavenly smelling food. I asked her to sit next to me and eat as well. And, she murmured, I miss my mom and my home, she used to feed me and still remember the smell of her aura. I asked why cant we go and meet her as her village was not that far but the constrain was responsibility here.
    I organized a few interviews in her village and asked Ashok to bring along her wife and we all would return back on the same day after work. She had no idea about where we were upto and I can never forget her eyes shinning and the smile on her face. I interviewed a few elders nearby and later was invited at her home for food. I was offered a kind of local sweet made up of milk and I can never forget the taste of it. It was the best rasmalai I have ever eaten. Undoubtedly, Rama was right about her mother, the food tasted exactly the way she described and her mother felt exactly the way she felt about her. She was full of warmth and love.

• A story I found really powerful was the story I read on a book about the history of the Foundation I’m working right now and it was about the daughter of one of the women who was working on the board of directors and also worked as a volunteer in the 90s. In passing, the author told the story of this girl that sold brownies to help the Foundation. This story was memorable to me when I read it because it was so unnecessary what she and her mother, for that matter, were doing. These were rich people, and she could be doing homework or going out with friends in the time that she was spending time making the brownies, selling the brownies, etc. It was unnecessary and she was not going to get credit for it and yet, it was kind and sincere.
    The emotion that I felt was warmth.
    That story compelled me to reach the relatives of the people that are on the Board when fundraising, because clearly charity is hereditary.

• This story is very surprising indeed!

• I love ghost stories, they are the best!

• Amazing! We only hear stories about bad people on the news and on social media, thank you for sharing the story of this fantastic woman!

• My friend Andriyanto runs really fast during athletics, it makes me feel more excited to beat him,

• A story I found really powerful was one of a young girl growing up in an orphanage. During the holidays they had been given an assignment to do something to improve their environment/ community. This young girl had identified an old woman living in an uncompleted building and took it upon herself to help the aged lady. She went over, spent time with the woman and in talking to her discovered she was mentally fit just well aged , had lost most of her children and was just waiting to die. The young girl took it upon herself to regularly clean and bring the old woman food.
    When she eventually submitted her report / assignment, the organizers/judges were really impressed and took the matter up . One of the judges told the story on a WhatsApp group I belong to and there and then even greater support was generated for the old lady.

• A story I found really powerful was one of a young girl growing up in an orphanage. During the holidays they had been given an assignment to do something to improve their environment/ community. This young girl had identified an old woman living in an uncompleted building and took it upon herself to help the aged lady. She went over, spent time with the woman and in talking to her discovered she was mentally fit, just stricken with age, had lost most of her children and was just waiting to die. The young girl took it upon herself to regularly clean The old woman’s house and bring her food.
    When she eventually submitted her report / assignment, the organizers/judges were really impressed and took the matter up . One of the judges told the story on a WhatsApp group I belong to and there and then even greater support was generated for the old lady. I was impressed because a young lady identified a need , made a move and in reporting it , generated even greater help for an old woman who would ordinarily have gone unnoticed.

• A story I found really powerful was one of a young girl growing up in an orphanage. During the holidays they had been given an assignment to do something to improve their environment/ community. This young girl had identified an old woman living in an uncompleted building and took it upon herself to help the aged lady. She went over, spent time with the woman and in talking to her discovered she was mentally fit just well aged , had lost most of her children and was just waiting to die. The young girl took it upon herself to regularly clean and bring the old woman food.
    When she eventually submitted her report / assignment, the organizers/judges were really impressed and took the matter up . One of the judges told the story on a WhatsApp group I belong to and there and then even greater support was generated for the old lady.

• I once came across a story where when I imagined it made me feel empathetic and it made me feel sad and shed tears
    I once saw a true story where I was hugged by my teacher because my teacher was sad knowing that her partner had to die because of leukemia, even though at first the partner was healthy but his neck was swollen and he had cancer. At that time he just hugged me and me at that time still grade 4 primary school

• On Tuesday they found a kitten hiding in fear with a lot of blood in the heart of the city in a library next to a student house. When checking the kitten, they realized that the kitten had been raped by a person and they notified the authorities, the animal rescue associations and began to investigate all the people in the student's house, nobody knew anything or had seen nothing or heard anything. They took her to the veterinary doctors and the people from the animal protection association began to spread the story on social networks to ask people for help to pay the doctors to care for the kitten.

This story gave me a lot of courage and a lot of sadness since I don't understand how there can be people so cruel to animals and it is sad that the authorities do nothing and that people have not seen anything.

That story made me very angry, but above all it made me very sad.

For this reason, without thinking about it, donate to help the animal shelter so that they could care for the kitten.

• this also happens in all the world, it is really conmoving

• A story that resonated with me is one about a man in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania who spoke about how his commute to work used to take up to 2 hours one-way because of multiple transfers and unreliable informal services. This meant he had to wake up very early, and didn't get to see his family before he left for work. At the end of the day, he had to make the long journey again, arriving home when his children were tired and heading to bed. He felt disconnected from his family, but the job he had paid well and he needed it. A few years ago, the city opened a new bus rapid transit (BRT) system which integrated many feeder routes and significantly improved efficiency for transferring between lines. Now, because of the BRT, the man's commute has been more than halved, allowing him to spend more time with his family in the morning and evenings.

This story is simple, but I work a lot with data and research so the personal elements--putting myself in that man's shoes --really resonated with me. I could see him, leaving for work in the dark, and coming home in the dark, stealing moments with his family when he could but it never being enough. I thought about how this same solution can yield similar changes to other peoples' lives.

• You bring up a great point about how genuine stories--ones inspired by someone's real experiences, like the woman inspired by her blind grandmother--have an even deeper emotional value.

• A story I found really powerful was the one I found in Twitter few months ago, the story was about someone who was on holiday (this person will be referred as B), and they went to a well-known museum in Jakarta. At one time, an old man came to him while carrying an old camera. Smiling brightly to B, this old man offered to take photos of him with a low price. Even B himself was surprise at the price this old man offer, because it is considered to be very very cheap. Not wanting to be rude, finally B agree to use the old man's service, and start posing to the camera.
    A quite unexpected thing happen when suddenly, the old man stop just right when he's about to take the picture, and B found out that there is something wrong with the camera. The old man looked confused, and then asked--no, practically begged for B to stay there and wait for him while he go and fix his camera. B eventually agreed, and wait in the same place.
    B waited and waited, it almost took an hour but there's no sign of the old man coming back. He's about to left when suddenly he saw the old man ran to him, with big smile on his face saying his camera was fine again. Then, finally the old man took photos of B.
    Before leave, B asked the man, did he always do this job, and the old man said yes. As he is getting older, take photo is the only thing he can do to make money from it, but sadly there's not much people getting interested to take his service. The old man also said that B was his first customer for that day, and it was already evening at that time. Feel touched, B decided to give more cash when suddenly the old man cried, thanking him. B also said in his Twitter post that the old man's smile will never be forgotten by him anytime soon.
    Reading this story, it makes me feel touched as well. I kinda feel bad for that old man because he has to work hard on that old age, and also feel grateful to B because such a kind person exists to help others.
    By reading this story, I also learnt to be more aware of my surroundings, and to be more welcome towards others who may need our help. Our action maybe simple, but it can bring huge happiness for others.

• I'm very sorry for what happened to your friend, yet also feel proud at the same time. I'll also praying for your friend full recovery!

• A story I had which was so inspiring was about a man who sacrificed his daughter during a period of war in order to appease the god of his native community who they believed had the power to give them victory over their enemies on the condition that the community offer a human life as sacrifice.

This story made me donate towards building a monument in honour of the man and his slayed child.

• A story I found really powerful was trust. It made me feel more trusting everyone. when I was a kid, my mom's said, dont ever you lie to anybody, coz when u lied once and they know it. everything will gone. and when you lost everything, you will lose alone and your life will getting harder.

• One of the stories I heard recently was about an old couple. A husband and wife was preparing to go to the doctor. They argue everyday and if you look at them from your side, you can decide they hate each other. But the husband usually take care of his spouse and woman never left apartment without his help. That day they left apartment with one mobile phone which husband was carrying with him. When they are together, they usually carry only one mobile phone and money only in husband's pocket. And so they were waiting a bus at the station. The bus arrived and they entered the bus but in different doors. Suddenly husband realized that he bus was different and dropped off but his wife did not see him drop off and was continuing travelling. When she realized she was alone there, it was late. So she dropped off n next station and started to cry in this situation without any connection to his husband. But a young lady approached and offered her to explain how to get home and offered some money to get correct bus. So woman was happy that this world is with such nice people.
    While all this, husband went home waiting his wife there and started to cry and with thoughts that he lost his treasure. In one hour his wife came back home safe and they were so happy to be together again.
    This story shows how is important to be aware and be independent. But more over showed to this couple how important they are for each other.

• A small mouse made of felt,

• This story was told via a great image - there was a picture of three cave men. Two were exhausted pulling a cart full of rocks with square wheels. The third was behind holding out round wheels and suggesting they use these instead. The two men reply "No thanks, we are too busy". This really resonated with me as so often in my work I find that people do not give the time to be innovative as it is seen as "extra work" without realising that in the long run, it will make work easier.

• I think walking in someone's shoes is a very powerful method of story telling. There was a campaign a while back called "In Her Shoes" from CARE and it was all about walking in the shoes of young women and girls to really see the challenges they have to deal with.

• I agree. I think that having passion about your topic really translates when you are telling a story. I used to work selling travel packages and my sales were much higher than average because I took the time to listen to client's stories. I then came up with something bespoke, tying it in with stories I had had of visiting that country, that fitted their wants and needs. They could imagine themselves there and the passion I felt for giving them the best experience possible, including during the planning phase of their trip, really translated into sales and made clients feel they were receiving a personable service.

• This is really an impact story and has been able to move others.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.