Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• if I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to come up with any assumptions that they have in mind since it may be a building blocks that would enable us to prepare for future.

J
    1 Reply
  • If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that the reason for defining the assumptions we are building our theory of change on is to help us have a broad view of the external and internal context of our activities and identify each of the necessary factors that contribute to their success. I would also explain that having a list of assumptions would help us effectively justify each of our activities before all relevant stakeholders.

J
    2 Replies
  • By honestly identifying assumptions, one helps the organisation to
    i) mitigate the likely impediment to project success
    ii) empower management early on to ensure that the assumptions are catered for of addressed.

• Everyone's reasoning is important, and I would let them write down anonymously.

• I will explain that assumptions are necessary because they can present a motivation to put in our best to get to the long term results

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to articulate assumptions for all the preconditions. This is essential in measuring success of the project.

• Secondly, the Theory of Change process must be done honestly, so that the project can reach its long-term outcome, based on the preconditions and activities of that project...

• sources such ass theories from there fields can also be a great basis for developing assumptions of how activities relate to outcomes...

• they should do so even if what they say may not be popular for the sake of moving the project forward

• I would tell my planning group that assumptions are important ingredient since through them we can assume if the activity will be achieved as planned or risks we might encounter during the implementation of the activity.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would start with (1) the importance of having a complete and honest discussion, (2) identify some of the behaviours we should demonstrate/avoid to enable this, and (3) illustrate with examples to help make it real.
    Firstly the importance of the discussion is to help us plan better, to check for gaps, and to help us learn in future if things don't go according to plan. Therefore we want to be able to test it with all perspectives and truly consider them - even if we don't immediately agree with them.
    Secondly, what this might mean is that not everyone will agree with the assumptions raised. It is important to remember we are not judging the person who made the assumption, nor the accuracy of the assumption itself. Instead, with the group of experts in this room, we're looking to see where we have general agreement or where there are critical differences that we need to address.
    Thirdly, I like the example provided in the reading as an illustration of how important this step is. I would use this or something similar.

• Some of the assumptions are that we keep our membership number to around 25 as to start the EvalYouth, this is done in line with the experiences from the similar country chapters in Asia. the success rate of the country chapter is relatively high with 20 or less number of members to start with

• If I were facilitating planning group in this session I would say that honestly making assumption contributes to design Theory of Change plausible, feasible and testable. Though the making assumption is tedious to contributes to create achievable outcomes.

• Honestly identifying assumption contributes to design intervention accordingly which leads to precondition achieved and finally can achieve long term goal.

• If i were facilitating session 5 i will let participants understand the importance of documenting and monitoring assumptions. As this would help explain why the interventions did or did not yield the expected outcome. Because we want to be sure no capture all assumptions let us be free to bare our all our thoughts then we pick the popular once

• I would tell my planning group that, it is important to have assumptions and they are necessary to planning. This is because every reasonable plan contains assumptions. the goal of identifying assumptions is to prepare the organisation to face the challenges ahead and achieve the set targets with minimum risk

• At Target Training we’ve been delivering “train-the-trainer” solutions for over 20 years to a broad range of clients across industries. Without fail, one of the most common personal training goals we see is “I want to learn to deal with difficult participants”. No matter whether you are delivering on-boarding, technical, safety or skills training, training starts and ends with your participants. As a trainer you want to deliver training which is engaging and useful … and as all experienced trainers know, a single difficult participant can impact this. This blog post shares our advice and experience, so you are better prepared to deal with difficult participants in the training room.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would explain the importance of honestly identifying assumptions to my planning group by encouraging them to feel free to express their thoughts, ideas and beliefs.
    Also, I would encourage the planning group to give their points or ideas anonymously.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that assumption are important to understand that assumptions are a necessary basis for planning short, medium and long-term outcomes. An organization vision is always based on beliefs, values, opinions and knowledge. If a team wants to be on the same page when planning an intervention, these individual assumptions must be clear and shared by all. If we have contradictory assumptions in the same intervention it will be difficult to achieve successful outcomes.

• Assumptions are important with out which its risk to achieve the objectives

• Indeed, I will introduce the assumption brainstorming with the following message: there is no stupid ideas, it's important to remind them that all ideas are welcome and participation of each one is most welcome.
    I will ask them if they will be more confortable writing down their assumptions.
    This will help them review them in a less emotionally charged way. It can be written on a paper with no identification of the writer and then the facilitator will mix all papers and read each one testing if it is plausible, feasible, testable...

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to come up with ideas irrespective of it's applications

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that there should be no repercussions for airing one’s ideas and beliefs and identifying assumptions is not to make the organization look foolish rather it is to help the organization prepare for things that might ruin the outcomes.

• If we implement certain interventions, we will create certain preconditions. If we produce those preconditions, they will lead to the long-term outcomes.

• Making assumption is very important as it will help us to take alternative action or intervention during the program period. It will be very helpful for including alternative action in the program plan.

1. Assumption end up becoming a groundbreaking feature in the future.
      2.Assumptions identified and managed properly have positive impact on the business.
    2. The solutions to problems evolve as assuptions become clearer
  • Provide clues, pose some questions beforehand to get prepared with underlying assumptions.
    Set ground rules prior to the discussion to facilitate honest and healthy communication.
    Will explain the importance of testing the true logic behind the each step of the change path, testing the underlying assumptions to have a plausible, feasible and testable Theory of Change.
    Any dishonesty may lead to failure in following preconditions and ultimately leads to failure to achieving the ultimate goals.

• Identify assumptions is the step that make our plan realistic. Thanks to them, we are able to realize if our goals are reasonable, then it is nothing but positive to question our beliefs to identify which are the good ones.
    We all work for a common goal, whatever we want to achieve we need to achieve it by having consensus, together we will discuss assumptions to find out this overall agreement.

• I will tell the group that there are things beyond our control. We need to be ready for possible adjustments if ever we will encounter changes along the implementation of the program or unanticipated conditions that will happen. I will inform them ahead that these things might really happen.

• I think it is very important to identify assumptios because they explain the change process we have envisioned, they also explain why our Toc makes sense.

• I think it is very important to identify assumptios because they explain the change process we have envisioned, they also explain why our Toc makes sense.

• I would tell the team that all the required consequences cannot be within the control of our organisation. So to move forward we have to make certain assumptions of how external forces are likely to react/ respond. However, while making those assumptions we have to be honest and ensure that the assumptions are realistic and reflect what would happen in normal course than taking optimistic or pessimistic assumptions on board. All events of future cannot be backed with evidences and data. Yet, we may take in account the past evidences and data while making assumptions.

I
    1 Reply
  • Very rightly said. Can be elaborated further for better understanding

• This does not seem relevant to the issue of listing out assumptions honestly and realistically.

• Very precisely spelt out. A bit more elaboration is required.

• I would tell my group that it is important to be honest and critical in order to achieve our goals. In the real world there are always underlying assumptions, opinions and prejudices. We can only successfully achieve our intermediate goals if we know as many assumptions as possible and can take them into account in our planning processes.

• Very good point. I also think it is important to look at the internal and external context in this step.

• i would first instruct every one not to be offended by any views aired out , as it is not a judgement to any one.
    encourage every to put out their ideas even if they feel it will be un popular, as long as it is their honesty cause in ToC organization were would like to exhaust any idea available in order to come up with the best ideas.
    i will separate my group into different sub groups depending on their ranks qand have the groups share their ideas at last through their trusted voices
    then i will introduce sticky notes to allow easy flow ideas including those from members who would not feel free to publicly express them. then introduce secret voting to pass out the best ideas

• If I were facilitating session 5, I would tell my planning group that your assumptions are the skeletal make up of your project. Without the right assumptions, you will not arrive at the expected long term outcomes so it is important we get our assumptions right.

• because its from the assumption that we get a workable solution

J
    1 Reply
  • As the facilitator the session to Identify Assumptions, I would tell the planning group that it is extremely important for the group to come up with sound assumptions for each of the outcomes and intervention as this would have far-reaching implications on the achievement or otherwise of the organization's desired results. I will emphasize that wrong assumptions would lead to adoption and implementation of interventions that would not lead to the identified outcomes

• The point you made is valid and very important. Communication at every level of the organisation is important

• A good project always must have assumptions

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that identifying assumptions

• helps to identify possible pitfalls and avoid them,
    • helps to bring in all possible angles on the pathway to change
    • increases chances of success in case some problems were not captured on the change-pathway map
  • If I were facilitating Session 5, I would honestly tell my planning group that it is important to identity assumptions as this would help the organisation prepare for unexpected failures and tackle them immediately.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that honestly identifying assumptions will lead to reach out the goal (long term outcome) of the theory of change in due time and with the planned resources.

• I would ensure we work on our assumption relating to how the sme group have a business that is existing and if they don't what are the issues relating to them not having

• After viewing the theory of change they should understand how my theory of change is related to the logical framework of the project and how it is linked to the long-term outcome.

• I would tell the team that all the required consequences cannot be within the control of our organisation. So to move forward we have to make certain assumptions of how external forces are likely to react/ respond. However, while making those assumptions we have to be honest and ensure that the assumptions are realistic and reflect what would happen in normal course than taking optimistic or pessimistic assumptions on board. All events of future cannot be backed with evidences and data. Yet, we may take in account the past evidences and data while making assumptions.

• identification of reasons for the assumptions and strategy to be deployed

• Team we're now moving to listing the possible assumptions connected to our theory of change develpped. However, this can be a difficult conversation. Don't feel like you will be judging each other but i invite you to be open minded and freely express your assumptions.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group: The hypotheses will allow us to anticipate the events to come and to know why an activity has market or not.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to openly share their thoughts on the possible scenarios that could happen to enable/prevent us to achieve the outcomes we have set for ourselves. In the case that any assumption depends on the capabilities of the planning team, I would encourage everyone to take the ideas objectively and to not judge or feel judged.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell the planning team that it is time that we surface our reasons, convictions and beliefs behind selecting the various interventions and preconditions as leading to the ultimate outcome. It is important to do this at this stage of the process because if the reasons we have based our selections of interventions and preconditions are not plausible or inconsistent with the reality, we will still have the the time to rectify what needs to before we are through with the planning. Surfacing our underlying beliefs will give others in the team to see if there are any obvious issues that we have missed, too. We can also build confidence in what we have selected if there are wider consensus among the participants here about the underlying reasons and beliefs that we have used to propose the interventions and preconditions.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group I would explain the importance of honestly identifying assumptions to your planning group

• if I were facilitating session 5, I would tell my planning group that assumption is the hub on which the entire process of the theory of change spin. A theory of change that is predicated on unrealistic assumptions, would not achieve the intended impacts. Hence, it is important that the ideas and propositions underlying a theory of change is evidence-based

• i would let the group to identify their values/beliefs on what might happen during the implementstion of the project.
    Assumptions are critical in the development of the theory of change process.I will eplain to the group about the importance of stating the assumptions since they will aid in sucess of the process ,since the planning team will be able to plan well inline with the vision statement and the availability of resources.The assumptions also will assist to determine if the process is plausible ;if it will lead to the long term ooutcome,if its feasible ;have the capacities and resources that will lead to produce outcome in the pathway of change and also if its testable;can be measured clearly enough to recgnise the goal.

• After a lot of preconditions and the current status or progress toward the program, comes to create and identify the assumption on it. If I was the facilitator to this section, I will setting up the discussion room with the team, including project, M&E, Researcher, Field coordinators, program evaluators, and executive director. I will bring up the certain indicators matrix and put on long-term outcome to be the core of this section. By opening the opportunities to all the included team, and if there unsuitable assumption appears I will bring it to the "parking lot" and will be used in the right and suitable situation or topic in the future

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that identifying underlying assumptions is critical for making a Theory och Change model that can work in reality. If not all the work we put in could be wasted.

• I would let them know that all views and aspects are important for strategic planning on the project.

• After team members view my theory of change, they should understand that implementing this system is extremely valuable I'm being able to progress in our vision.

• The Hunger Project had a very clear and clean story line and values.

• It´s important, from the very beginning ofthe Theoty of Change, to explain to the people involved, the importance of this process, and how those sessions are safe spaces, for everyone to participate with honesty.

• if i were facilitating, i would tell my plan.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to feel free and not be hesitated to write down any ideas which they would find unpleasant. The planning groups would consider general agreement within the group.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to feel free and not be hesitated to write down any ideas which they would find unpleasant. The planning groups would consider general agreement within the group.

• when we are honest, we need assumptions and assumptions help the organization to prepare for the success of the change it intends to create

• If I were facilitating the session, I would tell my planning team to come up with all possible assumptions from which we would filter them out to those that more applicable to our specific context.

• I would encourage participants to provide thier honest assumption by avoiding the environment of judgement among the participants. If the participants are still reluctant to provide thier assumption, then I would ask them to write them down anonymously.

• I would tell them that the importance of identifying assumptions is:

1. To ensure that the team is in agreement with the theory pathway for change.
    2. Assumptions help to identify issues that would affect results of the long term outcome.
      3)they help to identify pressure points that would affect implementation
  • Assumption may be described one of the conception which may hamper our activity . We should ready to address the issue by risk analysis

• it explain the change process we have envisioned, they also explain why our Toc makes sense.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that making assumptions is not a bad thing but it can help the organization to identify where what may need to expect so be open and honest with your assumptions and we are not here to criticize anyone but to understand what are the assumptions that may occur.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to critically think what are the assumption of our overall strategy. Assumption is critical. Is this theory of change PLAUSIBLE? FEASIBLE?

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group how important it is to honestly identify assumptions in the anticipated change. This will get the organization ready or prepare and also be in complete control of the changes that will be occurring. For example, if as food and drug administration control and regulation agency, we decided to embark on a theory of change process by applying communication and community engagement to sensitize the people about the health of ensuring quality packaged food and drugs in the system and creating awareness on fake and unregistered drugs in the system:
    I am going to let my team know that ones this theory of change process is employed, the following assumptions is going to be attained:

• The people will now be trained on how to know unregistered products
    • The people will lean to report producers and suppliers of unregistered products
    • Consumption rate of unregistered products will drop
    • Fake products will, by this be driven out of the system
    • Producers of fake drugs will be frustrated out of the market, since the end users will lean how to resist them
    • Registration of food and drug products will increase, since unregistered products will reduce in its rate of demand
  • Very well said.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that no one is judging the accuracy or the quality of the assumptions they bring forth
    Also, i will encourage them to feel free and air all the assumptions that they have about the long term goal of the organization. if i sense reluctance i will ask them to write them down anonymously

• I will highlight the identifying the assumptions and list them gives the organization power to be able to control over the outcomes it creates and it will help them succeed.

• If I were facilitating session 5, I would first of all remind them that assumption are critical to establishing the plausibility of our theory of change. On this basis, it is the foundation upon which one can derive sense in KEDDO's theory of change. Accordingly, an affirmative response is critical to establishing the replicability of our theory in other similar projects or programs elsewhere.

• If i were facilitating session 5, I would tell my planning group that it is important to have assumptions because of the following reasons;
    -It will help us prepare for uncertainty as we move forward with the planning process

• it will also help us to why some of our programs and projects failed in the past and what can be done so that does not reapeat in the next planning process
  • If i were facilitating session 5, I would tell my planning group that it is important to have assumptions because of the following reasons;
    -It will help us prepare for uncertainty as we move forward with the planning process

• it will also help us to why some of our programs and projects failed in the past and what can be done so that does not repeat in the next planning process

• it will alos help us to why some of our programs and projects failed in the past and what can be done so that does not reapeat in the next planning process
  • If I were facilitating session 5, I would tell my planning group that this section has to do with the things that have to be in place for our interventions to be a success. I'll remind them to think of all the negative scenarios that could impede the attainment of our metrics, however, they will equally think of the positive reasons why the metrics will be achieved without any external factors having an influence.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group that there are no wromg answers and highlight the importance of sharing ideas without judgement. I would also give them the option of providing responses anonymously if they feel more comfortable as it is important to get honest responses and to avoid group think

• the team should be told that the purpose of assumption is to ensure that the organization is prepared for the project risk and challenges and how it could possibly deal with them.

• agreed form the assumption we will be able to find solution to project challenges

• I would focus on the need for self-critic for a good preparation. I would talk with the group about how important it is to be factual and realistic in this phase of planning, in order to later feel stronger in the implementation of the project.

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to be free and honest with their assumptions and at the same time keep the assumptions reasonable

• I would tell my group that developing clear assumptions is a quick litmus test to check if our ideas of interventions and pre conditions are not just in the air or have not forgotten key aspects relevant for the success of our organization

• If I were facilitating Session 5, I would tell my planning group to write down all of the assumptions they make on a regular basis, then I would have people announce a few and have others challenge them based on their own experience. I would explain the importance of assumptions and the importance of them and why we need them in order to challenge and grow.

• As a facilitator for such a session, I will explain to my team that this stage of the process should be conducted as a review session of everything we had to do throughout the development of our Theory of Change.
    The purpose of even identifying the assumptions is not to make our organization look stupid but to understand and list its assumptions so that later we have the opportunity to learn why our organization was successful or not. .
    I will tell my planning team that to carry out our session, a discussion will be opened so that everyone can review all the content of the theory of change that we have formulated so far. We will ask ourselves some of the questions so that everyone can critique the assumptions from many angles, learn lessons from participating in the Theory of Change process, and apply them to other planning tasks that everyone might face.
    I will remind the team that this is not about judging who made the guess or the accuracy of each guess at the meeting.

• Facilitator should open up a structured discussion so that the group can move through the theory in a systematic way.

• Operationalization means turning abstract conceptual ideas into measurable observations. For example, the concept of social anxiety isn't directly observable, but it can be operationally defined in terms of self-rating scores, behavioral avoidance of crowded places, or physical anxiety symptoms in social situations

• A theory of change also helps to identify the underlying assumptions and risks that will be vital to understand and revisit throughout the process to ensure the approach will contribute to the desired change.

• Running a business that takes pride in being ethical and socially responsible is a challenge, and many companies end up cutting more than a few corners in the name of profit. If you dig deeper into those companies, you’ll probably find that honesty isn’t prized as an important characteristic. However, it’s nearly impossible for a business to build trust if honesty isn’t a guiding principle in how that company handles every aspect of its work process. In business, honesty isn’t only about doing things the right away, it’s also about expressing the values in which a company is founded.

• In order to make accurate assumptions, the planning team must be completely aware of the social, economic, and political backdrop as well as all the internal and external aspects that could have a negative or positive impact on the project's implementation. We must determine every prerequisite for a successful project implementation. We won't be able to carry out the project smoothly if the indicated assumption proves untrue. So, identifying the assumptions is crucial so that we can develop the mitigation strategy. Throughout the TOC development process, if any key assumptions are missed, it suggests we weren't able to evaluate and comprehend the context very effectively. As a result, the implementation process would suffer. Hence, in order for the project to produce the desired results, it is crucial to discuss and honestly record all potential assumptions.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.