Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 4: Budgeting Year

When do you think your budgeting year should start? Why? Share your thoughts in the space below. Be sure to include:

• Where you are located
    • What type of programs you run
    • When you think your budgeting year should start
    • Your reasons for choosing this date
      Example: We are an affordable housing advocacy group in Chile. Our single largest donor begins their budgeting year on June 1st, so will sync our budgeting year to this schedule as well.
  • Our project is based in Nepal and the fiscal year in Nepal is from july 1st to end of June. Most of our donors are from Europe, and the head office of our NGO is based in Spain, therefore I think we should adapt our fiscal year to European rules. Indeed all the funds and reports will depend on their schedule.

M
    1 Reply
  • Our projects are based in Uganda and most of them follow the Government financial year; Starting 1st July and ending 30th June.

• Course Facilitator

@AnneLaure_C said in Module 4: Budgeting Year:

Our project is based in Nepal and the fiscal year in Nepal is from july 1st to end of June. Most of our donors are from Europe, and the head office of our NGO is based in Spain, therefore I think we should adapt our fiscal year to European rules. Indeed all the funds and reports will depend on their schedule.

Our project is based in Tanzania but the financial year in Tanzania starts on 1st July end June the other year. We are interested our budget to start on January for the purposes of accommodating any changes which will be issued by the government such as taxes, regulations, adjustment of the law and other policies

• The Cause Couch Africa is located in South Africa. We are offering accredited tertiary education to people in need, we would need to ensure that our beneficiaries are able to commence their studies at the beginning of each semester, semester normally begins in Feb and in June. Therefore it would be suitable to ensure that our financial year-end is in July, we will do it this way so that we can secure funding early from donors and ensure that it rolls over to the following years. It would also be a great way to adjust, change and add to the previous year’s budget, with that said it would be evident that we will be using incremental budgeting from zero-based budgeting. As soon as we have the first roll-out of students

• Course Facilitator

Our organization is located at Tanzania.

Our organization is running with the program of support Orphans Vulnerable Children by provide uniforms, shoes, bags, exercises books and bicycles.

Our organization budget year is starts in January to. December. We choose this date according to our donors and we put this as the organization financial policy.

• We are an educational institution in Yola, Adamawa Nigeria. We focused on Education and Development. Operationally, September every year because that is the beginning of new academic year.

• Imade Foundation is an NGO based in Nigeria.
    It is an organisation that is dedicated to the of HIV/AIDS prevention techniques to help reduce the prevalence
    The budgeting year for the organization usually start in January
    We chose this time because it enables to sync all income and expenditure for that Accounting year.

J
    1 Reply
  • Our organization is running with the program of support to educate Children by providing uniforms, shoes, bags, exercises books.

• We are a public health laboratory in the DRCongo, an organization that manages some surveillance programs for diseases with epidemic potential (measles, cholera, malaria, tuberculosis ...) and as a public institution, we synchronize our budgeting process with the fiscal year of the country which starts from April 1st to March 31st. We will therefore develop a budget for all of our programs that will start on April 1, 2020.

• @Nuphil said in Module 4: Budgeting Year:

Imade Foundation is an NGO based in Nigeria.
    It is an organisation that is dedicated to the of HIV/AIDS prevention techniques to help reduce the prevalence
    The budgeting year for the organization usually start in January
    We chose this time because it enables to sync all income and expenditure for that Accounting year.

Thanks Nuphil for that description. Could you tell me more about the reason why to choose to start your budgeting year in january?

• We are an affordable housing Motherless Babies advocacy group in Nigeria. Our donors begin their budgeting year on March 1st , therefore we will sync our budgeting year to this schedule as well, since indeed all the funds and reports will depend on their schedule.

• We are a social organizational located in Republic Democratic of Congo. Our potential donors start their budgeting year on January 1st. So we sync our activities and comply to their calendar. Their location is in Kinshasa, so our budget year will be on January 1st.

• Our project is based in Nepal and the fiscal year in Nepal is from july 1st to end of June. Most of our donors are from Europe, and the head office of our NGO is based in Spain, therefore I think we should adapt our fiscal year to European rules. Indeed all the funds and reports will depend on their schedule

• We are a sex education and reproductive health resource group operating on a mobile unit in Central Coast California. We start our budgeting year on January 1st, since we wanted to sync with our strongest partnership, who is a national reproductive health agency.

• Our budgeting year starts year in December. In fact the government reads its budget in November. Some of our funding sources comes from government releases and agencies. That is why we prepare our budget in December. We are located in Ghana, West Africa. We run programs in community development.

• We start on a calendar year because our funding can go on year around, but we narrow the bulk of it to the end of the year.

• They are very well organized and know when revenue will come in and mostly when expenses are spent. Very good example

• We are a girls leadership program in the Bay Area. Our program runs from Sept. through Nov. with most of the grant cycles beginning in January, so we will sync our budgeting year to the Jan-Dec schedule as well.

@Course_Operations said in Module 4: Budgeting Year:

Where you are located
    What type of programs you run
    When you think your budgeting year should start
    Your reasons for choosing this date

• We are a girls leadership program in the Bay Area. Our program runs from Sept. through Nov. with most of the grant cycles beginning in January, so we will sync our budgeting year to the Jan-Dec schedule as well.

@Course_Operations said in Module 4: Budgeting Year:

Where you are located
    What type of programs you run
    When you think your budgeting year should start
    Your reasons for choosing this date

• Before i join this discussion platform: I have so far completed three modules in this short course with my assignments unassessed...that is my complaint.

• Before i join this discussion platform: I have so far completed three modules in this short course with my module 1&2 assignments unassessed...that is my complaint.

• I am from India . I am into accounting and finance sector. I think the Budget year should start from April 1 because the new budget can take into account the new policies , rules and laws that has to be included in order to implement the Budget without flaws.

• In Namibia our fiscal years starts on the 1st of April to 31st March of the followed year, this allows the government to make accounting, reporting as well business and organisations to conduct reporting. However, as a youth organisation striving for employment opportunities, our budgeting years starts 1st of January to 31st December each year following a national calendar. This is vital to us as we consider for it to be publicly-traded corporations and since it includes investors revenue and earnings making year-to-year comparisons possible and much easier, also for tax purposes. lastly, our donors and sponsors we notice them to be operating in this fiscal calendar year.

• In my country, Nigeria the financial year starts January 1st and ends by December 31st. At my present organization we are making use of incremental budget and the proceed is bottom-up. I feel the budget drafting should start Januaryb 1st and time and accuracy should be taken into consideration

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.