Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting

Imagine that you decide to do zero-based budgeting for one of your organization’s programs or units. Who might be the most resistant to this approach? Why would they be concerned? What could you say to them to address their concerns?

M
    I
    J
    A
    4 Replies
  • The program staff will most resist this new approach.

Program Staff will be more concerned because of activities that will be eliminated. This can also mean to let go of some staff.

I would say to them that although some activities has been taken off the budget, it does not mean that some staff are not needed. what it means is that other staff can be transferred to a new project while the new budget helps the company save more

• Course Facilitator

@Course_Operations said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

Imagine that you decide to do zero-based budgeting for one of your organization’s programs or units. Who might be the most resistant to this approach? Why would they be concerned? What could you say to them to address their concerns?

The most resistant to this approach are supposed be finance manager provided that take more time while at the same time you have hired professional experts means that there will be increase in costs. The finance manager should be concerned because of increase costs of preparing budget and time. What can i address to this concern is general reviewing and approving NGO operation with aim of improving the operations, so far zero base budgeting is a scientific methods.

• My organization is fairly new adn as a result the only people who may he concerned or have any Resistance to my budgeting would be the board members or the funders and investors

J
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Bonolo said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

My organization is fairly new adn as a result the only people who may he concerned or have any Resistance to my budgeting would be the board members or the funders and investors

OK! How your funders would be concerned in your budget?

• Practically the program officer as a field expert would be most resistant to the zero-budgeting approach. There would be concerned because existing appraoch is working, simple to implement and new appraoch would be tasking. The agitating concerns of the program officer could be addressed through a brainstorming session where superior arguments justifying zero-budgeting approach could be presented leveraging sensitivity analysis and senario analayis by financial experts/consultants.

• The most resistant to this approach will be program officer who the head of the department. He will be most concerned because of the change in the entirety of the budget for the year. The best I could say is make them the different approaches and methods in arriving at the budget based the likelihood of the income and current innovation as regard the project.

• Programme staff implementing the programme in the field will be the most affected and also the most resistant. They will perceive a threat to their job. However I would make them understand that they would be the ones to implement the new programmes since they already have experience.

• The most resistant to this Zero-Based Budgeting will be the program manager because this approach can be challenging to your team,some programs that are beloved by your teammates may be eliminated, some new employee may be required or let go.. If this approach is done carefully and thoroughly, can massively improve your organization's ability to achieve its its mission. New, more impactful programs based on the latest research can be implemented and some staff may be transfered to other units.

• Deciding to do zero-based budgeting in our organization, the most resilient would be the senior manager and the financial staff, because they love incremental budgeting for two reasons, it is easy to carry out and facilitates the evaluation.
    To address these concerns, I will show them the benefits of this approach; it helps to push the organization toward achieving its mission objectives and major positive changes are always desirable in management.

• @Bonolo said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

My organization is fairly new adn as a result the only people who may he concerned or have any Resistance to my budgeting would be the board members or the funders and investors

Well said BONOLO. But how do you intend to persuade them? Can you also clarify which budgeting approach you are referring to?

Friendly,

• @DeavenCrosswelldelMundo said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

Program staff

Why and how may you help them to adhere to this budgeting approach?

Kindly,

• @Course_Operations said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

Who might be the most resistant to this approach?
    Those who may resist zero-based budgeting includes management, employees, contract staff etc.

Why would they be concerned?
    Management:- Zero-based budgeting is time consuming and may delay program stating time. If the organization is going hire a consultant, additional cost will be added to their overall cost. This will not auger well for management.
    Employees: Zero-based budgeting may be opposed by employees. Because it could lead to termination of their employment and elimination of some programs.

What could you say to them to address their concerns?
    Management should be assured that this approach will ensure accurate and reliable budget.
    Employees should be assured that their jobs are intact and their salary may even increase.

C
    1 Reply
  • The program managers are the most resistant.
    Because it takes a lot of their time and also require a lot of consultation.

• @Madinda said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

The most resistant to this approach are supposed be finance manager provided that take more time while at the same time you have hired professional experts means that there will be increase in costs. The finance manager should be concerned because of increase costs of preparing budget and time. What can i address to this concern is general reviewing and approving NGO operation with aim of improving the operations, so far zero base budgeting is a scientific methods.
    I agree with you, the finance manager anticipates what will be the expenses successful impact. So the finance manager set facial plan for annual operation.The zero-based budgeting approach need more time to apply and a lot money when may hire external personal. This the reason for asking him to review fanincial previous, certainly this will take time to be adapted. Whether some programs will be limited. At the other hand the program manager is concerned because he must centralize allover the budget and then distribute to each program. The beloved staffmates program could be stopped. That why before use this approach, it would better to prepare the staff and show it's advantages and disadvantages to what to when something must forproviding change in the organization.

• If my organization decides to implement zero-based budgeting, the particular program manager or unit will be the most resistant to this approach. He will be of great concern because of the change in budgeting methods from incremental to zero-based budgeting. Also, he is faced with a potential threat in case a professional has to be involve in the implementation. What I will say to him is to be open minded and be objective to it.

• @OzohuOtonoku said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

I would say to them that although some activities has been taken off the budget, it does not mean that some staff are not needed. what it means is that other staff can be transferred to a new project while the new budget helps the company save more

• One of the program that we can use zero based budgeting is the production program where we will opt to use third parties mostly instead of hiring people in house to do the job. The current people who work on this program will be worried about job loss. To address this concern we would let them know that the tasks available are redundant but we will give them a compensation package.

• My staff would be the most resistant, mainly due to their concerns for job security, when establishing a partnership with another, larger agency like Planned Parenthood. I would assure them that the partnerships is based on cutting expenses on materials, that do not have an impact on their jobs as we would not be looking to bring employees from Planned Parenthood into our program.

• @InusahAlhassan said in Module 3: Zero-Based Budgeting:

Who might be the most resistant to this approach?
    Those who may resist zero-based budgeting includes management, employees, contract staff etc.

Why would they be concerned?
    Management:- Zero-based budgeting is time consuming and may delay program stating time. If the organization is going hire a consultant, additional cost will be added to their overall cost. This will not auger well for management.
    Employees: Zero-based budgeting may be opposed by employees. Because it could lead to termination of their employment and elimination of some programs.

What could you say to them to address their concerns?
    Management should be assured that this approach will ensure accurate and reliable budget.
    Employees should be assured that their jobs are intact and their salary may even increase.

Staff issues with job security is a major concern for me as well. Staff appreciation is cornerstone of my organizations culture so it is paramount that they feel secure to promote trust and loyalty, both of which are two way streets.

• To be completely transparent, I believe I would be the most resistant to this approach as it would take a significant amount of time and additional expenses for our other staff to input information into this budget. I should remind myself that is an opportunity to look more in-depth into the efficiency of our organization, and see more clearly if we are currently meeting our mission, and if there are big picture changes we can make to improve.

• Organization stakeholders like the CEO and Program Managers would be more resistant in my organization implementating a Zero based budget because there is a likelihood of being fired for not making the previous budget successful. I would tell them to next time to critically analyse the most likely incomes and expenditures for the upcoming year and years to come in overcoming the chances of being fired and make sure that everything works as per the operating budget.

As said if i presume creating a Zero based Budget the audit and compliance team may resist this approach. I could tell them that i will take the help of Internal Auditors who has rich experience and can advise me accordingly and can assure them that because of this new Budget nothing adverse happens .

• Within our organisation, program managers are most resistant to this approach, example, in hosting a circuit education development program, these manage with zero-Based budgeting they think some of activities of this program will be excluded because are seen as less vital. This gives them another sense of worry with their work, thinking their program may seem to be not that much effective or making great impact as expected in term of revenue generation through this stream or program conducted out every year.

• Program staffs mighty be the most resistant because the they think this approach will cut off some of supports from the granters. Program staffs may be much concern of their most of the fund from organization.
    And this will discourage most of staffs to quit their jobs. and look for green pastures.

• Program staffs mighty be the most resistant because the they think this approach will cut off some of supports from the granters. Program staffs may be much concern of their most of the fund from organization.
    And this will discourage most of staffs to quit their jobs. and look for green pastures.

• Imagine if you decide to do zero-based budgeting, program may be worried of some staff will be lay off because of the limited fund and activities within the organization, so they wait to be lay off, they will go on their own to look for a better job. But i can brief them not to worried since they are our best staffs, we will find for them another job.

• Imagine if you decide to do zero-based budgeting, program may be worried of some staff will be lay off because of the limited fund and activities within the organization, so they wait to be lay off, they will go on their own to look for a better job. But i can brief them not to worried since they are our best staffs, we will find for them another job.

• Imagine if you decide to do zero-based budgeting, program may be worried of some staff will be lay off because of the limited fund and activities within the organization, so they wait to be lay off, they will go on their own to look for a better job. But i can brief them not to worried since they are our best staffs, we will find for them another job. sometimes, human beings are always so worried of their lives and benefits if they lost previous jobs. my organization is a national NGO, and we must put everything right. zero-budgeting approach is good for international organization where funds are guarantee. but it is not good for smaller organization which is just started. i will only use bottom-up budgeting approach for organization. so that to involve my programmatic staff who are currently running all the projects activities in order to achieve our main objectives. thanks by peter garang mawien

• The members of the board will be most resistant to a zero based budgeting approach for one of the programs by my organization.

This is because it will raise critical questions as to the effectiveness of the program and might lead to its elimination.

I would highlight the advantages of zero based budgeting, namely that it can prove that there is no more need for that program or there are more effective ways to implement it.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.