Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful

This discussion topic is for learners who have completed Module 3.

Social entrepreneurs need to be creative about finding the resources that they need. For example, in this module Jessica shared the story of one of her customer's, Cici Sayer, who managed to meet her resource goals without raising a bunch of money. Resourcefulness is a personal quality that every social entrepreneur should cultivate.

In this module's discussion, let's discuss resourcefulness. You have two options for posting today. Either:

Describe one time that your creativity and resourcefulness helped your organization get or keep resources.
    Example post: My venture saves money by using social media to connect with beneficiaries instead of paying for printed communications.

or...

Share one type of resource that your organization could seek that is not money.
    Example post: Instead of raising money, my venture could try to find a cheap van for transportation.

M
    A
    T
    M
    9 Replies
  • My organization seek to help employ many graduates

1 Reply
  • My learning progression is interesting I appreciate this platform

M
    2 Replies
  • My venture will form a partnership with the federal university of goias
    I intend to operate in the hybrid model in Brazil, is the best option?

L
    2 Replies
  • My venture is planning to make saving in project budget by utilizing the current IT development team. The team is familiar with building on-line based softwares and applications which support our venture to keep full control of platform and solving any circumstances immediately

L
    2 Replies
  • We aim to provide solutions to low-income areas through resource mobilisation instead of consistent fundraising. We find that people are far happier to give of their time for. needy cause than with funds. This is especially true for corporates who "sponsor" our programmes by encouraging their employees to get involved instead of just funding projects

1 Reply
  • My venture saves money by searching for volunteer people to teach the teenagers how to create a micro enterprise.

J
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@sbonilla said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture saves money by searching for volunteer people to teach the teenagers how to create a micro enterprise.

Great @sbonilla Can you share more? I am pretty sure you find the course and the contents helpful. Please share, discuss and learn... Happy Learning..

• Course Facilitator

@Scoulelis said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

We aim to provide solutions to low-income areas through resource mobilisation instead of consistent fundraising. We find that people are far happier to give of their time for. needy cause than with funds. This is especially true for corporates who "sponsor" our programmes by encouraging their employees to get involved instead of just funding projects

This is true @Scoulelis Best wishes for your venture and also thank you for sharing. Hop onto other courses for more knowledge.. Happy learning.

• Course Facilitator

@tawarah_2019 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture is planning to make saving in project budget by utilizing the current IT development team. The team is familiar with building on-line based softwares and applications which support our venture to keep full control of platform and solving any circumstances immediately

Yes IT is the in-thing now... Every now and then we can save costs through use of IT. Thank you for sharing @tawarah_2019 . I bet you find the course and contents helpful.... Happy learning.

• Course Facilitator

@FatimaCarvalho said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture will form a partnership with the federal university of goias

Dear @FatimaCarvalho Can you share more about how the partnership will save costs or resources. This will help other learners gain knowledge. Thank you for sharing... Happy learning

• Course Facilitator

@Mikaihl said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My learning progression is interesting I appreciate this platform

Thank you @Mikaihl ... Can you share something about your venture or something you wanna build up and where you can use your creativity to save resources? Happy Learning.

• Course Facilitator

@Saintiago said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organization seek to help employ many graduates

Great one @Saintiago But this will increase costs.... can you share your creativity that helped save costs or examples from your organisation? Share, discuss, learn... Happy learning!

• Our work-based learning programs reduce cost of training for unemployed and restive youth through volunteering services.

Instead of raising money for paying trainers, our work-based learning program could use virtual training and knowledge-sharing through recorded video to leaners.

S
    2 Replies
  • My organization helps a lot to the targets people at the grass root level where water sanitation is poor and educational sectors. Feeds hungry minds through some important sessions. Through creativity my company achieved award.

2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@LukmanAbdurraheem said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

Our work-based learning programs reduce cost of training for unemployed and restive youth through volunteering services.

Instead of raising money for paying trainers, our work-based learning program could use virtual training and knowledge-sharing through recorded video to leaners.

That is great.. Thank you for sharing @LukmanAbdurraheem I hope you are finding the course resourceful.... Happy Learning!

• Course Facilitator

@dominic09 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organization helps a lot to the targets people at the grass root level where water sanitation is poor and educational sectors. Feeds hungry minds through some important sessions. Through creativity my company achieved award.

Congratulations on the award @dominic09 ... But I think you missed the point... Please share how your or your organisation's creativity helped reduce costs ..
    I am hoping you are finding the course resourceful... Happy learning.

1 Reply
  • My organization plans on creating a separate business- a real estate company where I employ real estate investors, real estate entrepreneurs and other experts with real estate experiences and we go into the communities where my target audience reside and create businesses, opportunities, and get in involve in all things relating to real estate and use the funds and put into the nonprofit. The idea is to not waste so much time seeking money from investors and donations or applying to grants; but these options are available to use if needed.

• @Mikaihl said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture plan to create an hybrid solutions base social entrepreneurial to solve the lack of creative ideas among youth,by creating a way of teaching young and aspiring entrepreneurs to learn skills acquisition programs that will enable them have broad knowledge on ideas and development.

1 Reply
  • The venture I want to embark on, seeks to empower girls and young women financially by giving them financial literacy trainings, life skills training and business training so that they are able to access funds and start their own business. Through the mentorship sessions that will be provided on life-skills, we hope to help nurture girls self-esteem and confidence so that they can take on leadership roles. This will be done through a book leadership club that will be another component of the program.

• Current condition
    High poverty rate in the community.

Activities
    Provision of different skills and empowerment.

Outputs
    Participants get trained.

Immediate outputs
    Participants get empowered

Intermediate outputs
    Participants become self employed

Impact Goals
    Poverty become a thing of the past in the community.

• Course Facilitator

My venture plan to create an hybrid solutions base social entrepreneurial to solve the lack of creative ideas among youth,by creating a way of teaching young and aspiring entrepreneurs to learn skills acquisition programs that will enable them have broad knowledge on ideas and development.

Hey @Mikaihl This sounds interesting. Can you share how you want to implement this? Happy Learning.

• Instead of raising money for a venue, my organisation could find a cheap panel van. This will make us more mobile to service more communities.

1 Reply
  • @sbonilla said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture saves money by searching for volunteer people to teach the teenagers how to create a micro enterprise.

That's great. It can be difficult to find donors to pay salaries and volunteers are awesome. They are the life of the organisation.

• Course Facilitator

@Jessie_HC said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

Instead of raising money for a venue, my organisation could find a cheap panel van. This will make us more mobile to service more communities.

This is cool...

• One can make use of the halls offered for free to hold meetings rather than hiring halls or going to restaurants.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@murokosilvia said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

One can make use of the halls offered for free to hold meetings rather than hiring halls or going to restaurants.

@murokosilvia This is true.. but there are few free halls. Share some examples of free halls and where you did something. Happy learning.

• @dominic09 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organization helps a lot to the targets people at the grass root level where water sanitation is poor and educational sectors. Feeds hungry minds through some important sessions. Through creativity my company achieved award.

Thank you very much, my organization will reduce cause or poverty , illiteracy that always lead to violent as a last resorts to achieve some thing inthe world

• My organization will primary focuses on how can we solve all the problems we intended to solve , there fore we must be seriously focus on looking resources and quality management in all aspect of serving.

2 Replies
  • @instructional_team said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

Social entrepreneurs need to be creative about finding the resources that they need. For example, in this module Jessica shared the story of one of her customer's, Cici Sayer, who managed to meet her resource goals without raising a bunch of money. Resourcefulness is a personal quality that every social entrepreneur should cultivate.

In this module's discussion, let's discuss resourcefulness. You have two options for posting today. Either:

Describe one time that your creativity and resourcefulness helped your organization get or keep resources.
    Example post: My venture saves money by using social media to connect with beneficiaries instead of paying for printed communications.

or...

Example post: Instead of raising money, my venture could try to find a cheap van for transportation.

I think it is actually very wisely to manage your expenses according to your available budget instead of seeking more
    funds. Like, we need to compromise on certain stuff that is not actually much effected if we get that at a cheaper rate . For example : Let's suppose if you are running a nonprofit to educate poor kids you can get the old books in the form of donations for that you can go by yourself in different schools and colleges and ask the students and faculty their if they want to give away any old books of theirs and even if you are lacking in funds you can buy second hand books at a lower price .
    Although the funds are important for the nonprofit for attaining best quality of other things that can't be compromised in any way from instance water dispensers ,food mantainance ,etc .

F
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

My organization will primary focuses on how can we solve all the problems we intended to solve , there fore we must be seriously focus on looking resources and quality management in all aspect of serving.

You are right @dominic09 But can you share one example how you can be resourceful or one example you've seen someone get resourceful? Happy learning!

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@zehrasadia7 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

@instructional_team said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

or...

I think it is actually very wisely to manage your expenses according to your available budget instead of seeking more
    funds. Like, we need to compromise on certain stuff that is not actually much effected if we get that at a cheaper rate . For example : Let's suppose if you are running a nonprofit to educate poor kids you can get the old books in the form of donations for that you can go by yourself in different schools and colleges and ask the students and faculty their if they want to give away any old books of theirs and even if you are lacking in funds you can buy second hand books at a lower price .
    Although the funds are important for the nonprofit for attaining best quality of other things that can't be compromised in any way from instance water dispensers ,food mantainance ,etc .

very rightly said @zehrasadia7 ! best wishes & Happy learning!

Z
    1 Reply
  • @Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

or...

Thankyou :)

1 Reply

My organization will primary focuses on how can we solve all the problems we intended to solve , there fore we must be seriously focus on looking resources and quality management in all aspect of serving.

You are right @dominic09 But can you share one example how you can be resourceful or one example you've seen someone get resourceful? Happy learning!

After achieving some donation, my organization will uplift each and every unsupportive skill of individuals to the best it can be resourceful to the world and the bases for all these skills and technologies shall be for my organization.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

or...

Greetings @zehrasadia7
    Great to hear this dear. I hope you had a great time on board. Thank you. Happy learning :)

Z
    1 Reply
  • @galiswethachowdary said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

or...

Greetings @zehrasadia7
    Great to hear this dear. I hope you had a great time on board. Thank you. Happy learning :)

Thankyou .. and good luck with work !!

• Course Facilitator

After achieving some donation, my organization will uplift each and every unsupportive skill of individuals to the best it can be resourceful to the world and the bases for all these skills and technologies shall be for my organization.

cool... keep going!

• My venture exchanged service for service with a website building company who helped build website while we enroll her staff to our lectures about how sustaining their homes can help them excel at their workplaces.

M
    2 Replies
  • My organisation will partner with the state's ministry of health and ministry of women affairs, for support, statistics, as we both share similar goals.

L
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Hybrid1717 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture exchanged service for service with a website building company who helped build website while we enroll her staff to our lectures about how sustaining their homes can help them excel at their workplaces.

This is a good one @Hybrid1717 ...Thank you for sharing.

• Course Facilitator

@Taofeeq said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organisation will partner with the state's ministry of health and ministry of women affairs, for support, statistics, as we both share similar goals.

Hello @Taofeeq Thank you for sharing. Can you also kindly share your common goals and how you got resourceful. Happy learning!

or...

Through the establishment of the Efficiency Unit, there has been improvement in timeliness of project completion and also wastage of resources such as money has been reduced from the procurement stage to project execution.

Congratulations on the award @dominic09 ... But I think you missed the point... Please share how your or your organisation's creativity helped reduce costs ..

Absolutely i missed it,
    We will make educate mass number of people with different divine qualifications that will yields back on adequate quality production in the global markets.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Absolutely i missed it,
    We will make educate mass number of people with different divine qualifications that will yields back on adequate quality production in the global markets.

Thank you @dominic09 Keep up the good work... Happy Learning.

I will put the limited resources on productive investments to generate the future growth.

1 Reply
  • My venture is providing a cutting edge solutions to help small holder farmers increase crop yields through a cloud based innovative tech developed by international partner.

I will put the limited resources on productive investments to generate the future growth.

Hi@dominic09, what type of productive investment?

• By giving the youth proper education, instead of forcing them to work

• My venture use social media advertisement instead of wasting money on printing and traveling doing advertisement

• Notre objectif final est de créer un bien être financier au sien de chaque famille en leur accordant une formation professionnelle de base pour leur faciliter l'accès aux crédits bancaires

• Notre objectif final est de créer un bien être financier au sien de chaque famille en leur accordant une formation professionnelle de base pour leur faciliter l'accès aux crédits bancaires

• In the next six months I will have completed my research with the beneficiaries, find funding and implement the venture. In the meantime, I'll use my personal resources to soft launch the venture

• @Hybrid1717 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture exchanged service for service with a website building company who helped build website while we enroll her staff to our lectures about how sustaining their homes can help them excel at their workplaces.

Good lucky with your venture

Thank you @Mikaihl ... Can you share something about your venture or something you wanna build up and where you can use your creativity to save resources? Happy Learning.

Yrah

or...

The Change Theory has three major concepts: driving forces, restraining forces, and equilibrium. Driving forces are those that push in a direction that causes change to occur. They facilitate change because they push the patient in a desired direction. They cause a shift in the equilibrium towards change.

• The Change Theory has three major concepts: driving forces, restraining forces, and equilibrium. Driving forces are those that push in a direction that causes change to occur. They facilitate change because they push the patient in a desired direction. They cause a shift in the equilibrium towards change.
    Let's review. Kurt Lenin developed a change model involving three steps: unfreezing, changing and refreezing. For Lenin, the process of change entails creating the perception that a change is needed, then moving toward the new, desired level of behavior and, finally, solidifying that new behavior as the norm.

• The Change Theory has three major concepts: driving forces, restraining forces, and equilibrium. Driving forces are those that push in a direction that causes change to occur. They facilitate change because they push the patient in a desired direction. They cause a shift in the equilibrium towards change.
    Let's review. Kurt Lewin developed a change model involving three steps: unfreezing, changing and refreezing. For Lewin, the process of change entails creating the perception that a change is needed, then moving toward the new, desired level of behavior and, finally, solidifying that new behavior as the norm.

Let's review. Kurt Lewin developed a change model involving three steps: unfreezing, changing and refreezing. For Lewin, the process of change entails creating the perception that a change is needed, then moving toward the new, desired level of behavior and, finally, solidifying that new behavior as the norm.

• How can I generate resources in to enable them achieve their goals in different organizations

• Instead of refer to agencies, for the research process (surveys and data analysis) my venture could refer to students looking for a case study and why not, the most appasionate could join the project!

• Some social entrepreneur need to create and also have the ability to multitask their self

• AT SOME POINT WHEN MY ORGANISATION NEEDED A HALL , TO HOLD A SEMINER ON ISSUES OF GOOD ROADS WITH SOME INFLUENCERS, AND WE ALL KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS TO RENT A HALL. TO SAVE COST I HAD TO CONVICE MY PASTOR TO USE THE CHURCH HALL, WHICH SAVED A LOT OF COST AS FREE CHAIRS, MICROPHONES AND A CONVENENT ENVIRONMENT WAS AIDED.

• Since my organization is mainly about traveling across Africa with young people, financing such trips is a major problem aside funding for other logistics. So we have a very flexible payment plan that gives interested participants ample time to pay in bits also since we don't have the financial muscle to do some activities we deem essential during our trip, we partner with friends and family or other organizations that can offer such service at a great discount or even for free knowing the kind of impact we want to make. A typical example is in 2019 when we organized a one week trip to Rwanda and we needed a great media team to help us with the coverage and also tell our story. Typically having a media crew on board with their gadgets and other things are very expensive so we reached out to some friends from our university who run a marketing/media startup to partner with us since we both share the common vision of telling the African story to inspire African Millennial to move, connect and create cultural exchange for more collaboration on the continent.

• Instead of making a place to sell my fast food, I am going to employ people who will take the foods to various offices at lunch so that all people will get food to eat.

• Instead of making a place to sell my fast food, I am going to employ people who will take the foods to various offices at lunch so that all people will get food to eat.

old venture. Keep it up

• Our Organization saved money by maximizing the capacity of the government's human resource. So instead of paying for speakers/facilitators for every training, we invite local departments to conduct specific entrepreneurial training.

• My organization saved money by using volunteers instead of paid employees to educate the rural women concerning the need to avoid collecting predatory loans and why they should accept interest-free loans to improve their businesses and livelihood.

old venture. Keep it up

• @tawarah_2019 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My venture is planning to make saving in project budget by utilizing the current IT development team. The team is familiar with building on-line based softwares and applications which support our venture to keep full control of platform and solving any circumstances immediately

Seriously I like this. Great work.
    Keep moving up.

• I am going to buy my goods from the wholesalers so that they will be affordable.

• This discussion topic is for learners who have completed Module 2.

Share your venture’s mission statement in the discussion forum.
    Respond to at least one other learner’s post. Is their mission statement easy to understand? Is it memorable, manageable, measurable, and motivational? Do you have any suggestions for improving it?

Example post: My organization seeks to improve the lives of families in Kampala by providing jobs.

Example response: What types of jobs will you provide? Do you have a number of jobs that you would like to create?

• please help me to know how to design a business plan because here it is not clear.

• helped me to help other people

• nice experience

• nice experience

• My organization is tapping other organization with the similar goals to be our resources of information and manpower. Same goes with our organization, when others reach out for us seeking help, we welcome them. It becomes collaborative and we learn from each other.

• My organization is tapping other organization with the similar goals to be our resources of information and manpower. Same goes with our organization, when others reach out for us seeking help, we welcome them. It becomes collaborative and we learn from each other.

M
    1 Reply
  • @manelyn_a said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organization is tapping other organization with the similar goals to be our resources of information and manpower. Same goes with our organization, when others reach out for us seeking help, we welcome them. It becomes collaborative and we learn from each other.

I am learning so much from this course. Appreciating more global entrepreneurship. Excited to apply what I learned to our organization.

• Instead of hiring a hall and music system, my venture requests for the availability and I only have to take expenses for refreshment and trainers' allowances.

• My organisation taught me to help voluntarily to the needy ones like for skill development programs in rural areas and environment awareness and related issues.

O
    1 Reply
  • We are able to keep Lagos clean by picking and recycling plastic waste

• @rinku said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

My organisation taught me to help voluntarily to the needy ones like for skill development programs in rural areas and environment awareness and related issues.

That's very nice..... Plastic waste has been the major source of air deterioration in Nigeria.. So I love it when someone is working towards that direction

• My mission is to offer a low cost medical agreement using digital platforms for low complexity services.

• When i got started with how to bring modern farming to the people in the rural area, i had no fund for it and we have not started receiving any support but i have to bring the Agro-machine industries to come in and be part of what we want to do and that's how we got our first tractor for farming

• My organization has been able to have a wide coverage of information to their members through the use of telegram to post pieces of information.

• My organization has been able to have a wide coverage of information to their members through the use of telegram to post pieces of information.

• My community saved money by using volunteers- youths in the community to fill up pot holes and clear gutters within our locality.

• My community saved money by using volunteers- youths in the community to fill up pot holes and clear gutters within our locality.

• I was once the vice president of a charity organisation and we had to raise funds for a project.
    I was able to reach out to people in my circle such as family, friends and even colleagues and was able to single handedly raise atleast 50% of the funds required for the project.

• My Venture is looking to set up a food bank for pregnant women to the end that low birth weights in infants will be reduced significantly!

• We are only starting out so our resources are now replying on a lot of great free educational materials such as this course. We are also looking into other courses on Coursera and use our own network to talk to experts in the field to help us with our research.

1 Reply
  • In our organization we were supposed to plant trees in one of the public schools on the occasion of Earth Day, instead of renting buses for our 150 students, we selected a school near our organization which was 5-minute walk.

or...

Social entrepreneurs always on the go fo the people

• Because they are compassionate

or...

My company helps to encourage employees to grow.

or...

My organization uses sanitized recyclable plastic bags where the produce and goods are packaged within it. Also, volunteers who will deliver food packages will be within walking-distance of the families who subscribed to the service, that way they do not have to pay for any transportation.

• My venture could use all human resources and physical goods for village development projects rather use money.

• getting a service delivered through a third party co-ordinaton is way better than trying to raise funds and solely trying to solve a problem.

1 Reply
  • @zehrasadia7 said in Module 3 Discussion: Getting Resourceful:

or...

My venture is to improve people and teenagers especially on how to acquire helpful skills for their future.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.