Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The principle of DO NO HARM plays a key and vital role in ensuring that data collection, analysis and use does not cause harm either to those it was collected from and/or those it will be applied to.

• Consent and experience of participants is very important to take note during your data collection process.

• It's true,
    I remember the time I worked as an enumerator for a certain organisation. The first thing I used was to educate or sensitise the communities about our project and why we needed data from them. Then, I can ask them if I can collect data from them, and some of them could even decline my request. The problem which have observed so far is that some enumerators they do not know the ethics considerations when it comes to collect data from the participants.

• To ensure that your M&E practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people, I must first consider the experience of my participants, ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data as well as ensure that, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential. lastly, I have to identify and avoid potential areas where my data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• When dealing with data, individuals and organizations need to consider ethics and avoid causing harm. There are few key aspects related to the context of do no harm. These are - 1. Ensure the consent of participants when collecting data. 2. Ensure privacy and security of collected data. 3. Ensure fair and ethical use of data. 4. Ensure accountability and transparency. 5. Maintain data accqurecy.

• What an interesting topic.

On getting consent before collecting data, this consent need to be in written form? or even through word of mouth? If word of mouth would be considered what would be the evidence incase one participant says she or he did not give consent?

A
    1 Reply
  • I like the fact about what data anonymous mean

C
    1 Reply
  • From the previous lesson on the importance of "Do No Harm" during M&E data collection, I have learned several key points. First and foremost, I now understand the ethical considerations and responsibilities that M&E practitioners have towards the well-being and safety of participants. Respecting their rights, maintaining confidentiality, and obtaining informed consent are paramount.

I have also realized the significance of avoiding harm and unintended consequences during data collection processes. By proactively identifying and mitigating risks, practitioners can ensure that the data collection process does not cause adverse effects, stigmatization, or negative outcomes for participants.

Trust and cooperation emerged as vital components of successful data collection. Building trust with participants by adhering to "Do No Harm" principles fosters cooperation and willingness to engage. This, in turn, enhances the quality and reliability of the collected data.

The lesson has also highlighted the importance of valid and reliable data. By prioritizing the well-being of participants and creating a safe environment, M&E practitioners can minimize biases, encourage honest and accurate responses, and reduce the potential for data manipulation or coercion. This ultimately contributes to meaningful analysis and decision-making.

Furthermore, I have learned that the principle of "Do No Harm" has long-term implications for the impact and sustainability of development initiatives. By upholding ethical standards and protecting participants, M&E practitioners contribute to positive change and prevent unintended negative consequences.

• If my organization is working with low status groups whom the politicians think or might link to crimes, then sharing this data would lead to them being victimized or even portrays as the derailers of development which might not necessarily be true. The privacy of this people should be protected.

• Confidentiality is critical in data collection a component of M&E as everything is centered around Monitoring, Evaluation and informed decision-making. I'm experienced working with vulnerable groups (refugees). In a team, we collected detailed information about refugees using UNHCR's Tools and Templates; from personal biodata to their entire life. Through the Protection Team, they were informed about the sensitivity of that data we collected from them, how valued they are and how every word provided the team is kept private.
    It is important to inform the beneficiaries what you are collecting data for and they should consent, except as mentioned above, in critical scenarios of health, as well as children.

• Data collection is one of the most delicate part of M&E.
    The first thing is to understand the competence of the respondents and this can be evaluated in terms of education, age and even work experience. This means that questions should be proportional to the respondents and this will guarantee you some fair responses.

Another important factor is consenting. It means that researchers should ask permission from the respondents before doing the data collection exercise. This is very important because most of these information such as health records are very crucial and can only be obtained using a proper consenting means possible.

In conclusion, for the respondents to give you meaningful information, it therefore means that you have guaranteed them safety of their information. So the concept of anonymity and confidentiality should be taken very seriously. The aftermath also is very important in the sense that the information obtained can as well be used as a secondary source of information and therefore it is very paramount to keep it private.

• This is very true but we need to dig deeper to understand the DO NOT HARM Concept

• On ethics what are you trying to say by referring In the past, many people have participated in studies without understanding the risks involved. As a result, these people have suffered

• It's crucial to be mindful of how data can be weaponized against marginalized communities. Before releasing any data, it's important to consider the potential consequences and how it could be misinterpreted or misused to perpetuate harm or reinforce existing biases. Safeguarding against this requires thoughtful analysis, transparency, and a commitment to ethical data practices to ensure that data is not used to exacerbate inequities or unfairly target specific groups.

• It's crucial to be mindful of how data can be weaponized against marginalized communities. Before releasing any data, it's important to consider the potential consequences and how it could be misinterpreted or misused to perpetuate harm or reinforce existing biases. Safeguarding against this requires thoughtful analysis, transparency, and a commitment to ethical data practices to ensure that data is not used to exacerbate inequities or unfairly target specific groups.

• Do meu ponto de vista, sim diante estes dados poderá prejudicar os participantes devido a tendência de dados pela informação que trás, sendo estes cometidores de crimes.
    Mas, também vai depender da finalidade de uso destes dados colectado e for os dados para foro político e caso não manteremos os dados em confidenciais.

• Sim, poderá ser usado por parte interessante deste grupo populacional se não honrarmos com o anonimato e confidencialidade das informações obtida pelo nosso grupo alvo. Consequentemente estaremos a violar os princípios éticos da pesquisa.

• During my undergraduate project, I had to collect blood samples from a lot of people, because of that I needed an ethical clearance and I had to take consent of all participants and promised to keep them anonymous

• Do no harm encompasses a lot of ethical issues. It may mean be confidential on the data you have received. This is is done to avoid damage or any risk if such kind of data is released. Another think to take into account on this subject is considering the experience of the participant. Don't make the tools for data collection extremely long that it will be stressful and also that which maybe very disrespectful. Also, tailor the tools in relation to general background of participants

• The answer is affirmative, as it is your responsibility as a data collector to gather project data ethically, which entails taking the confidentiality and privacy of the organisations you are gathering data for into account. Without a question, the information you disclose has the potential to negatively impact these groups. Prior to doing so, you need their permission and to inform them that this information will be shared with local lawmakers and the government. You need also let them know about the implications before you interview them.

• Also, your intention is to get solution for an existence problem not to create another dilemma, consider the ethical principles of monitoring and evaluation specifically the Do No Harm principles.

• I believe consent will be given in writing, and you need to make sure the respondent is aware of what is included.He or she may claim, "I didn't understand the consent's language."

• Doing people harm may cause people to lose trust in your organisation thus this may be difficult during future projects where data may be required

• Im working with a queer community in Russia and our main principe is not to harm, we always keep it in mind

• Im working with a queer community in Russia and our main principe is not to harm, we always keep it in mind

• If at the end of the day data causes harm to our stakeholders and benefactors then the purpose of the project cannot be effectively achieved

• This is a very important issue as it need to be addressed. As it protects both side the participant and the organization. The participant they need ensured of their security and safety. This indicates that no participants will be victimized, and no information will be used without their consent. Thats is why the consent form must use.

• Unless you are careful, your M&E processes have the potential to cause enormous harm. The Do No Harm principle instructs us to actively avoid causing damage

• "Do no harm" in the context of data collection to data use is a principle that emphasizes the ethical responsibility of individuals or organizations handling data to ensure that their actions do not cause harm to individuals, communities, or society at large. This principle is especially relevant in fields like data science, research, and technology where data is collected, analyzed, and utilized for various purposes.

Here are some key aspects related to "do no harm" in the context of data:

Privacy Protection: Ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of individuals' data is crucial. Collecting and using data in a way that respects privacy rights helps prevent harm, such as identity theft, unauthorized disclosure, or discrimination.

Informed Consent: Obtaining informed consent from individuals before collecting their data is essential. This involves providing clear information about the purpose of data collection, how the data will be used, and any potential risks associated with it.

Fair and Responsible Use: Data should be used in a fair and responsible manner. This means avoiding discriminatory practices and ensuring that the use of data does not reinforce existing biases or contribute to unfair treatment of individuals or groups.

Security Measures: Implementing robust security measures to protect data from unauthorized access or breaches is crucial. Failing to secure data properly can lead to harm, including identity theft, financial loss, or reputational damage.

Transparency: Being transparent about data collection and use practices builds trust with individuals. Transparency helps people understand how their data is being used and allows them to make informed decisions about sharing their information.

Data Accuracy: Ensuring the accuracy of data is important to prevent misinformation and potential harm that may arise from decisions based on inaccurate or unreliable information.

• "Do no harm" in the context of data collection to data use is a principle that emphasizes the ethical responsibility of individuals or organizations handling data to ensure that their actions do not cause harm to individuals, communities, or society at large. This principle is especially relevant in fields like data science, research, and technology where data is collected, analyzed, and utilized for various purposes.

Here are some key aspects related to "do no harm" in the context of data:

Privacy Protection: Ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of individuals' data is crucial. Collecting and using data in a way that respects privacy rights helps prevent harm, such as identity theft, unauthorized disclosure, or discrimination.

Informed Consent: Obtaining informed consent from individuals before collecting their data is essential. This involves providing clear information about the purpose of data collection, how the data will be used, and any potential risks associated with it.

Fair and Responsible Use: Data should be used in a fair and responsible manner. This means avoiding discriminatory practices and ensuring that the use of data does not reinforce existing biases or contribute to unfair treatment of individuals or groups.

Security Measures: Implementing robust security measures to protect data from unauthorized access or breaches is crucial. Failing to secure data properly can lead to harm, including identity theft, financial loss, or reputational damage.

Transparency: Being transparent about data collection and use practices builds trust with individuals. Transparency helps people understand how their data is being used and allows them to make informed decisions about sharing their information.

Data Accuracy: Ensuring the accuracy of data is important to prevent misinformation and potential harm that may arise from decisions based on inaccurate or unreliable information.

• The sample population should, in my opinion, be able to submit data within a reasonable time limit without experiencing undue stress or time constraints, which might otherwise negatively impact their daily routines and mental health. Such strategies should have a well-defined goal that is pre-planned and supported by an appropriate framework. They also ought to be aware of the rationale behind the data collection from them.

• Additionally, since it was agreed upon that their identity would remain private, it should be upheld by creating suitable codes that would prevent readers from learning who they are after the report is completed.

• The data must be generated in a way that both reveals the truth and the ground reality and prevents others from using it as a weapon against the sample group's weakness. To prevent such risks, their explanations and responses must be sufficiently included in the report.

• Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities. what if that part of data is necessary for the project at that time?

• No I may not share my data to government becauese this wil cause harm to beneficiaries,so only authorized personnel would access the data.

• A very interesting and simple guide to understand the concepts.

• Here are some key considerations to ensure your M&E (Monitoring and Evaluation) practices cause no harm:

Participant Experience:

Respectful Data Collection: Design data collection methods that are mindful of participants' time and comfort. Avoid lengthy surveys or intrusive procedures.
    Informed Consent: Obtain clear informed consent from participants. Explain the purpose of data collection, how their information will be used, and any potential risks.
    Anonymity and Confidentiality: Honor promises of anonymity and confidentiality. Ensure data cannot be linked back to individuals or is accessible only to authorized personnel.
    Legal and Ethical Compliance:

Understand Regulations: Be familiar with relevant laws, regulations, and ethical guidelines, especially when working with vulnerable populations (children, prisoners, etc.).
    Equity Considerations:

Data Interpretation: Be mindful of how your data might be interpreted or used by others, considering the social and political context. Avoid perpetuating stereotypes or biases.
    Power Dynamics: Acknowledge and address any power imbalances between researchers and participants.
    Transparency and Communication:

Clear Communication: Communicate clearly and accurately about the M&E process throughout, from initial engagement to sharing findings.
    Feedback Mechanism: Establish a mechanism for participants to provide feedback on the M&E process.

• The introduction and basic information about data collection and also three essential principles of M And E is honesty, do no harm, competence. Also factors how can you ensure M and E practice cause no harm to participants

• Do No Harm, we need to carefully collect and manage data ethically. We respect every individual who provides us with their information.

• What should I do when the participant accept to sign the consent form then after the participant decide to do not continue to participate in the survey?

• It is good to take care for do not do harm. Based on what I learned, I have seen that we have to be serious when we are collecting data so that data we collect could not be harm to any person. Also we have to take care about the informed consent form. But based on that I also have a question, What should I do when the participant accept to sign the consent form then after the participant decide to do not continue to participate in the survey?

• Quite important to protect people information.
    Confidentiality should be upheld at all times, carelessly handling people personal information can bridge trust and cause the affected person sometimes guilt and fear.
    Which in the end, could lead to trauma and low self-esteem.
    Hence, M&E officers must at all times maintain public trust and uphold high ethical standards.
    On the other hand, those who use troubled individual data must maintain ethical standards as well.

• Do not harm means that one should keep ethical concerns in mind while doing data collection. Data should be collected by informing the subjects well about it and with their consent. If the informant is not comfortable in sharing his/her name then it should be kept anonyms in order to protect his/her identity and cause no harm in future. Also the data collection process should also be not very hectic process for the subjects.
    Data collection

• The DO NO HARM principle is one of the major principles of humanitarian work and also an internal policy by most organizations that in the course of our work, we do not cause harm to any child, IDP knowingly or knowingly or not to expose any child to further harm by our actions

1. Design Ethical Data Collection Processes: The emphasis here is on making data collection processes as straightforward and non-intrusive as possible. This involves considering the experience of participants, ensuring that they do not feel burdened or overwhelmed by the process. By prioritizing simplicity and clarity, organizations can encourage higher participation rates and reduce the likelihood of stress or confusion among participants.

2. Informed Consent: Informed consent is a foundational ethical principle in research and data collection. It ensures that participants are fully aware of the purpose, risks, and benefits of participating in the study or providing their data. This includes explaining how their information will be used, who will have access to it, and their rights regarding confidentiality and anonymity. Obtaining informed consent demonstrates respect for participants' autonomy and rights to make informed decisions about their involvement.

3. Compliance with Regulations: Organizations must stay abreast of relevant laws, regulations, and ethical guidelines governing data collection and research practices. This is particularly crucial when working with vulnerable populations or handling sensitive data. By complying with legal requirements and ethical standards, organizations can uphold the rights and well-being of participants while avoiding potential legal and ethical pitfalls.

4. Anonymity and Confidentiality: Protecting participant privacy is paramount in ethical data collection. Anonymizing data ensures that individual identities cannot be traced back to the information provided, while maintaining confidentiality restricts access to sensitive data to authorized personnel only. By implementing robust security measures and data anonymization techniques, organizations can safeguard participant privacy and minimize the risk of harm associated with unauthorized disclosure or misuse of data.

5. Risk Assessment and Mitigation: Conducting a thorough risk assessment helps organizations identify potential harms and vulnerabilities associated with data collection and analysis. By proactively addressing these risks and implementing appropriate mitigation strategies, such as data encryption, access controls, and stakeholder engagement, organizations can minimize the likelihood of harm to participants and stakeholders while maximizing the ethical integrity of the M&E process.

6. Transparency and Accountability: Transparency is essential for building trust and credibility in M&E practices. Organizations should strive to be transparent about their methodologies, findings, and limitations, providing stakeholders with clear and accessible information about the data collection process and its implications. Establishing mechanisms for accountability ensures that organizations are held accountable for their actions and decisions, fostering ethical conduct and responsible use of data.

7. Equity and Social Justice: Recognizing and addressing power imbalances and social inequalities is critical in promoting ethical M&E practices. Organizations should be mindful of the potential impact of their data collection efforts on marginalized or vulnerable groups, working to amplify their voices and ensure their representation in decision-making processes. By prioritizing equity and social justice considerations, organizations can contribute to more inclusive and equitable outcomes for all stakeholders involved.

Overall, integrating these principles into M&E practices not only helps to prevent harm to participants and stakeholders but also enhances the ethical integrity and effectiveness of data-driven decision-making processes. By prioritizing ethics, transparency, and equity, organizations can uphold the rights and well-being of all individuals involved while maximizing the positive impact of their M&E efforts.

• This topic has shown it all that ethical issues are of paramount importance in making sure that no harm is caused during collecting and even after collecting data.
    confidentiality and privacy is important in protecting our people during data collection

• To ensure that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders, or other people, several key principles and strategies should be followed:

Informed consent: Obtain informed consent from all participants before collecting data, ensuring that they understand the purpose of the data collection, how their information will be used, and any potential risks or benefits involved.

Privacy and confidentiality: Protect the privacy and confidentiality of participants by anonymizing data, using secure storage and transmission methods, and ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the data.

Respect for cultural norms and values: Respect the cultural norms, values, and beliefs of participants and stakeholders, ensuring that M&E practices are culturally sensitive and do not impose Western-centric perspectives or practices.

Do no harm: Consider the potential risks and unintended consequences of M&E activities, taking proactive steps to mitigate any negative impacts on participants, stakeholders, or the broader community.

Equity and inclusion: Ensure that M&E practices are inclusive and accessible to all participants, regardless of factors such as gender, age, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, or disability. This may involve using diverse data collection methods, providing accommodations for individuals with disabilities, and actively seeking input from marginalized or underrepresented groups.

Transparency and accountability: Be transparent about the purpose, methods, and findings of M&E activities, providing participants and stakeholders with clear and accessible information about how their data will be used and ensuring that they have opportunities to provide feedback and raise concerns.

Continuous monitoring and learning: Regularly monitor and evaluate M&E practices to identify any potential harms or ethical concerns, and take prompt corrective action to address them. Foster a culture of learning and adaptation within the organization or project team, encouraging reflection and dialogue on ethical issues related to M&E.

By adhering to these principles and implementing these strategies, organizations can minimize the risk of causing harm through their M&E practices and ensure that their efforts contribute to positive social impact in an ethical and responsible manner.

• Je pense que dans le processus de récolte des données, nous devons à tout prix respecter le principe de ne pas nuire afin de protéger les personnes qui prennent part à notre enquête. Cela dans l'objectif de leur protéger contre toute représailles qui proviendrais de la divulgation de leurs informations

• Je pense que dans le processus de récolte des données, nous devons à tout prix respecter le principe de ne pas nuire afin de protéger les personnes qui prennent part à notre enquête. Cela dans l'objectif de leur proteger contre toute represailles qui proviendrais de la divilgation de leurs informations

• Why is it necessary to consider privacy and confidentiality when collecting data?

• Why is it necessary to consider privacy and confidentiality when collecting data?

• The discussion revolves around the ethical principles of data collection and use, emphasizing the importance of the "Do No Harm" principle in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices. Organizations engaged in data collection must prioritize the dignity, well-being, and self-worth of individuals.

The Do No Harm principle involves:

Participant Experience: Considering the impact of data collection on participants, ensuring that the process is simple, intuitive, and not overly burdensome or stressful.
    Informed Consent: Ensuring participants fully understand the risks involved in data collection and provide informed consent. This is especially critical in medical research or when working with vulnerable populations such as children or prisoners.
    Anonymity and Confidentiality: Keeping data anonymous and confidential to protect participants from potential harm. This includes safeguarding sensitive information that could damage individuals' reputation or safety.
    Addressing Inequities: Being mindful of how data could exacerbate existing inequities. Organizations must consider how data may be used by others, including potential misuse that could harm vulnerable groups.
    Organizations should strive to follow these ethical principles to avoid causing harm to participants, stakeholders, or other affected individuals. This includes careful design and execution of M&E processes, keeping in mind the potential consequences of data misuse. Ultimately, ethical data collection and use ensure trust and integrity in the research process and outcomes.

• The discussion revolves around the ethical principles of data collection and use, emphasizing the importance of the "Do No Harm" principle in monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices. Organizations engaged in data collection must prioritize the dignity, well-being, and self-worth of individuals.

The Do No Harm principle involves:

Participant Experience: Considering the impact of data collection on participants, ensuring that the process is simple, intuitive, and not overly burdensome or stressful.
    Informed Consent: Ensuring participants fully understand the risks involved in data collection and provide informed consent. This is especially critical in medical research or when working with vulnerable populations such as children or prisoners.
    Anonymity and Confidentiality: Keeping data anonymous and confidential to protect participants from potential harm. This includes safeguarding sensitive information that could damage individuals' reputation or safety.
    Addressing Inequities: Being mindful of how data could exacerbate existing inequities. Organizations must consider how data may be used by others, including potential misuse that could harm vulnerable groups.
    Organizations should strive to follow these ethical principles to avoid causing harm to participants, stakeholders, or other affected individuals. This includes careful design and execution of M&E processes, keeping in mind the potential consequences of data misuse. Ultimately, ethical data collection and use ensure trust and integrity in the research process and outcomes.

• Do no harm: Do not intentionally or unintentionally cause physical, emotional and reputation damage all participants of your project. This is done by

1. Consider the experience of the people who are providing data, for example if you are using an interview guide to collect your data let it not be too long to consume a lot of your participants time.
    2. Obtain an informed consent from the participants you are collecting data from, this means you should make them understand why the data is being collected, it's use and share with then the results. let them know that there are no hidden risks by explaining all the risk involved with the exercise.
    3. Ensure anonymity and confidentiality. The data should not be linked to the participants who provided it and should not be accessible to unauthorised people.
    4. Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequalities.
  • Indeed, it is very important to ensure that the research does not inflict any harm on the participants. And in other to ensure this, several actions need to be taken by the interviewer which include

• To adhere to the ethical principle of Do No Harm in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practices, it's essential to prioritize participant well-being by designing data collection processes that are intuitive and non-intrusive, obtaining informed consent while adhering to legal and ethical guidelines, safeguarding participant privacy through anonymization and confidentiality measures, mitigating potential risks of harm or misuse of data, and continuously evaluating and adapting practices to minimize negative impacts and uphold the dignity of all individuals involved.

• To adhere to the ethical principle of Do No Harm in Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) practices, it's essential to prioritize participant well-being by designing data collection processes that are intuitive and non-intrusive, obtaining informed consent while adhering to legal and ethical guidelines, safeguarding participant privacy through anonymization and confidentiality measures, mitigating potential risks of harm or misuse of data, and continuously evaluating and adapting practices to minimize negative impacts and uphold the dignity of all individuals involved.

• To ensure that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) practices do no harm, it is crucial to design ethical data collection methods that minimize participant burden, ensure informed consent with clarity and transparency, and maintain strict standards for anonymity and confidentiality. By doing so, M&E activities respect participants' rights and safeguard their well-being, ensuring that data collection and analysis cause no harm while providing valuable insights.

• According to Pierre Bourdieu, when people become the object of our study there's an asymetrical relationship to them as the interviewer mantains the control of the situation. Subjects or interviewers get to select who is fit or representative of the population being studied and they also choose which questions are relevant to achieve this knowledge. The study's objects, on the other hand, must accomodate to their requirements and hope to give the answer they are seeking for.
    Giving this asymetric relationship described, it's vital in the ethics of an investigation to make sure you respect and do no harm the objects of the social study. That's why is so important they are given all the relevant information and we are honest and clear about our intentions, leveling the field. Being discrete about the personal information given is also a major priority, as it is abstaining to the goals of your study. The privacy that our objects of study confine us must be respected and treasured at all times.

• I have learned that one of the ethics of Monitoring and Evaluation is Do No Harm. This ethic is to ensure that the M&E does not impose any harm on the participants. In achieving this, several principles must be adopted including considering the experience of the participants, ensuring that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data, ensuring that, when appropriate, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential, and identifying and avoiding potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• From the above example, where my data suggests that some of the people belonging to this group (lower status group of individuals) have committed crimes I could not let the data I released be used by political opponents to further damage this group of people because I promised them that the data collected from them would be kept anonymous and confidential.

• The “Do No Harm” principle encourages individuals to act in ways that promote safety, well-being, and fairness. It reminds us to consider the potential consequences of our actions and strive to minimize harm to others.

• I'm working with the refugee and sometime after an activity some of them don't wont to share their nationality. This part of the module is very helpful

• Do no harm principle is especially critical where there are underlying issues, conflicts, or problems.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.