Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Do No Harm principle, is to avoid exposing peolple to additional risk through our actions.That is, we take a step back from an intervention to look at the broader context and mitigate potential negative effects.

• Ethical issues are very important in M&E and must not be ignored.

• When people feel that their data will be kept safe and anonymous, response rate will be high.

• In situations where your data collection process unintentionally harm your participants, how do you mitigate it?

• following the do no harm policy helps to build trust between participants and the data collector and this is where the consent form comes in making them aware they are in charge of the entire process and can choose to discontinue at anytime.

• DO NOT HARM

Be careful with data as is very critical for decision making and also consider the once you collect from that at the end it wont harm them directly or indirectly.

To esure that our M& E processes do not bring harm wie need to cosider that we put in mind the following;

1. Consider the eperience of your participants-whether they understand what is required of them
    2. Ensure informed consent in data collection to your participants
    3. Ensure confidetiality to data.
    4. Identify and avoid areas where data can be used to harm.
  • DO NOT HARM

Data is very critical in decisio making thus it has to safe guarded to ensure it does not harm indirectly or directly.

But to ensure the process is not harmful certain majors must be put in place like;

1. Consider the experience of your participants regarding data collection.
      2Ensure informed consent in data collection.
    2. Ensure confidentiality.
    3. Identify and avoid areas where data can be used to harm.
  • It is very important in ensuring no harm is caused during any data collection or gathering evidences and as well seek consent participants involved.

• Do NO Harm means that there is need to be more focused in seeking the information and be detailed in the collected information. it is because when this information reaches other persons it may not get misleaded. At times people engaged in one situation gets hypnatized and use the similar information in other way or understand with different perspective. therefore it is the need of the hour to collect the full information about the ongoing activities of the project considering the fact that collected information in any case won't spoil the repute of the individuals provided data. Sometimes we get data about some of the project interventions that are driven on the command of local influentials who are not ligitimate in their action and if their deeds are known and taken care of they can become enemy of informant. if we take example of any quarbani or wash project where there are issues in implementation and we get to know from a person then we shouldn't release the name of the person who have informed us.

• when designing, collecting, analyzing and sharing Data, we have to make sure that we do no Harm.
    we have to consider potential risks for all stakeholders at all stages of the process.
    we have to avoid or minimize anything that will cause physical or emotional harm to participants, as well as making participants aware of any potential harms prior to their participation.

• when designing, collecting, analyzing and sharing Data, we have to make sure that we do no Harm.
    we have to consider potential risks for all stakeholders at all stages of the process.
    we have to avoid or minimize anything that will cause physical or emotional harm to participants, as well as making participants aware of any potential harms prior to their participation.

• Ethics is very important. Especially in areas where there are existing inequalities or political tensions. Project implementers need to pay cognisance to these disparities.

• Given that the data suggests that some in the group have done criminal acts, then some unscrupulous politicians may use it to support their claims that the group is responsible for local problems. While there maybe some truth to it, one cannot generalise and blame the entire group for individual acts.

• The data can not be used by political opponents because it will cause further damaged this group of people believed to have committed crime. It is good to do a pretesting first to confirm whether your data will do any harm to this group people. Carefully, explain to them the purpose of collecting such data and give informed consent for them to decide whether to participate or not. Do not force anyone to participate instead let it be voluntary. Ensure that the data provided is private and confidential to avoid damaging anyone's reputation or safety.

• Is it a problem with my browser, I don't see the discussion question

• Its very important to avoid the harming, because once the benneficiaries know that the collected data is not private, they may get hungry and feel down if it is related to their indicidual lifes, so every data must be kept in private, only acessible to workers whom will use correctly without harming the participants.

• Do no harm is a key principle of ethical behavior within M&E to ensure that all participants to seek consent to collect and use their data,, to ensure that the people you are collecting data from understand exactly what they are agree to participate
    To ensure that participants data are kept anonymous and confidential
    Identify and avoid potential area

• I need the notes to read

• It so essential to check and always ensure that you stick to the ethical principle of do no harm because if you do not consider this you could intentionally or unintentionally harm participants and that will even ruin your data and data use.

• So true participants have to be protected always.

• M and E teams should be very careful and vigilant on how they collect and use their data. The information collected should not intrude participants privacy or inquire about staff without their consent and permission. The data collected as well should be strictly confidential where its only accessed by those who have permission and data should not be leaked any how

• It is clear, you should always need to be careful when collecting data especially when it involves certain communities or group of people. But my question is, how can we really avoid situations where the only people willing to give the information comes from one class of people?

• I think we must give special attention to this aspect because it may lead the participants to some difficulties and social problems in their environment if we don't keep the data anonymous and confidential especially in sensitive health cases, like HIV transmission. It is also crucial to get the informed consent from them in order to collect and use their data. In my personal experience, I found some people rejecting to involve in the survey because they mostly believe that it would not be beneficial to their life according to their experience in previous surveys. It is also important for data collectors not to give any false hope to them about the survey. These are all that I would like to discuss about the topic, do no harm, in this module.

• Ethical Issues to consider in simple term:
    The tools should be easy to use within a short period.
    Allow participants to give consent for participation
    Ensure confidentiality of the participants
    Ensure their safety by making sure that their data is used only for the purpose for which it is collected and nothing else

• the information gathered from those people even if if they have committed a crime in their past , i should report that to politicians to keep confidentiality and for the will of the research that you are doing

• One of the work of M& E is a Collection of Data/information from respondents who are supposed to be relevant for that particular project. The way we select the respondents of the data, the way we keep the collected data, the way we produce the report on the collected data etc, shouldn't be on the way to harm the respondents. If we use the data/information gathered from respondents in the way that harm the respondents at any time, we are not ethical, or we Violet the ethical principle " Do no harm."

• M&E process must ensure that no harm comes to the participants either through the process of gathering data, analyzing the data and even using the data. it must ensure the safety of participants at every process involved in monitoring and evaluation.

• IT IS IMPORTANT TO RESPECT THE DIGNITY AND WELL BEING OF THE RESPONDENTS WHEN COLLECTING ANALYZING AND PRESENTING DATA

• Bonjour, Moi c'est Faya Nestor TOLNO d'origine Guinéen
    J'aimerais avoir un peu d'éclaircissement par rapport à ce principe d'éthique "Ne pas Nuire"
    Comment pouvons nous identifier que telle participant à pour objectif la divulgation des données et quelles sont les mesures à prendre pour atténuer ce comportement ?

• Such data may exacerbate the existing knowledge about this particular group of individuals.

• What happens if I collected data from individual, and then the data used in report maybe as Best Lesson learnt.
    I have the duty to maintain confidentiality agreement but it's now out of my control, politicians want to use the data to accuse my client, what will I do?

• In any organization to collect data we have to consider the following

• Participant give informed and consent to get data
      -participant data is kept anonymous and confidential
    • list item
  • How do I have to work, for example I am doing a study that speaks about the opinions of opponents vis-à-vis the president in place. I have to give more arguments about the things that do not work and that work in relation to his government. I'll be forced to talk about whatever is how downside or what doesn't work. not in the sense of harming but of helping the population to open up their memories

• there you are right, because when the field investigations are made, there are questions which are sensitive and confidential. led when the results were published, the people who worked on this must really be serious men, and have a very high sense of morality. whoever makes analyzes or publishes results must have confidentiality in him. it is an emergency for most research firms

• Hi every body,
    I'm Dener Francois, a haitian who is taking this wonderful course. I Think that this M&E ethical principles point expressed by "Do No Harm" has to require our full attention considering the importance of the beneficiaries and public valuable feedback/agreement on our final decisions based on data collected, managed, analysed and published in the data life cycle perspective. In this point of view, an assessment of the existing situation is mandatory to figure out key elements to integrate in our data design and collect strategies.

Dener
    Francois

• yes this data could be used to harm this group ,if the data was leaked and not secured

K
    1 Reply
  • Consider the experience of your participants.
    Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.
    Ensure that, when appropriate, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential.
    Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data.

• It is important that data collection tools such as survey questionnaires and interview are inclusive of the confidentiality clause. The organization collecting the data should ensure that the M&E department keeps the data confidential even after analyzing the data. This will ensure that respondents or participants are protected from any harm. In the case of KPs for example, if an organization would leak data on data of individuals who are MSM or transgender, this could perpetuate hate crimes such as corrective rape. Hence, it is of utmost importance that an organization collecting data has a fully fledged M&E framework that addresses the importance of protecting respondents.

• Keeping respondents' information confidential is very crucial. That is why data collection tools such as survey questionnaires and interviews should include a confidentiality clause. In turn, the M&E department should ensure that the data is kept confidential even after analyzing the data. This will ensure that respondents are protected from any harm that might occur to respondents should their information be leaked. In the case of KPs for example, the society still has not accepted the existence of men who have sex with men and transgender individuals hence, we have hate crimes against KPs such as corrective rape. Leaking information about these individuals would be risking their safety. It is for this reason that organizations should have a fully fledged M&E framework that addresses concisely the issues of confidentiality and protecting study participants.

• This principles require data collectors to endeavor not to cause any further damage and suffering as a result of their actions. the purpose of research should never be to harm anyone or find out information at the expense of other people.

• I consider this do no harm as one of the most important element. Whether conscious or unconsciously, as development practitioners, we have done harm or have even been victims after careful consideration of the points of how not to do harm in our various work.
    We need to, as a matter of urgency, begin to honor the dignity, self-worth, and well-being of our so-called beneficiaries, indeed they are partners in progress.

• Good one to rethink.

• I totally agree with the points identified in the module especially in the part about anonymity and confidentiality. It is of utmost importance to keep the identities of the people who participated in the study. This is because the general goal of the projects that we aim to initiate are to make a better living situation for everyone and sharing important information about the participants might make them vulnerable to opposing parties.

O
    1 Reply
  • Ethical consideration is very critical in every researches. Hence, every data collection processes must unsure that participants sampled information must not bring them any harm physically, emotionally and otherwise.

• This is the biase of committing either type-1 or type-2 errors. You observation is right and must be guided against.

• Ensuring anonymity and confidentiality of clients information gives the clients confidence in the project. This confidence is enjoyed where there is need for referral by difficult to find clients community which are usually difficult to enter and obtain information.

• It is worthy of note that participants can suffer negligence intentionally or unintentionally exhibited the project workers. This therefore requires adequate training of project workers on ethical matters.

• its been a great topic and has given me an informed point of collecting quality data without harming my respondents or participants this is through considering the experience of my participants, asking for informed consent through explaining the objects of my survey, keeping my participants anonymous and their information confidential by not giving it out to other parties and using it specifically for my survey purposes ,identifying and avoiding potential areas where my data may exacerbate existing inequities

• It is wonderful to have this understanding. It helps to have a real understanding of the matter if the participant understand that you mean no harm and their consent is approved.

• It is really important to respect participants/respondents decisions to partake or not partake in a research. No harm should befall them for accepting or not accepting to participate. If they do decide to participate, their identities should be kept confidential.

• It might cause harm if it is not kept confidential and the data management is not done to the standard. Thus if all cautions are not taken into consideration and data that should be anonymous are disclosed it will definetly cause harm to our repondents.

• This is very important information as a beginner for me in data collection and polices also. it will help me in my career and personal life.

• Q1. Obtaining Informed Consent for medical research from the prisoners, highly conservative persons (e.g HIV infected and other diseases as such) is not very feasible. How can one do about this especially if the study is highly pending in need of these group of persons? Consider that you have promised to keep their information confidential and have explained time and again the purpose of the study but still they refuse to give consent.
    Q2. How can one effectively ensure that data presented does not cause harm? For instance, you presented a data on highly infected areas with HIV. what image do you think you you gave to those areas you named as highly infected. Positively, you might want to ensure rapid health intervention.
    Negatively, you retard socioeconomic activities and possibly development in that area.
    So how can one possibly ensure not causing harm?

Y
    1 Reply
  • What if the participants do not need to be protected or do not want to be kept anonymous, such that they want the pubic to recognize who they are?

• Doing no harm has to go a long way in improving organizational integrity. As an M&E expert you have to maintain confidentiality is all area of data collection to data visualization. on the hand, you have to have you read the purpose of the data collection those who can read and write but they are capture to participate in the survey. maintaining confidentiality is another way of getting quality data from your respondent.

• The importance of keeping promise cannot be overemphasized due to the fact that it could affects people in so many ways especially when promises are the made to those in need.

• we are required to do no harm for our respondents because of many things like for example future trust, keeping your promises and respecting rule and regulation of confidentiality keeping.

• Ethical considerations are very important when collecting, analysing and presenting data findings. Ensuring confidentiality of sources helps in keeping them safe.

• NO. M and E data should be confidential to the extent possible. In this situation the data should be marked anonymous to prevent people associatig the findings to a target group of people. Experience has shown that in cases where data collection is not labelled anonymous, the respondents often become subject of political or religious retaliation.

• No. the data collected should be collected on the anonymous basis to protect the data provider. Important ethical value of M& E is Do no Harm. M&E data should not be used to further worsen the condition of a target group of people.

• Data is used to make informed decisions hence it's very sensitive. It has to be used carefully so that it cannot harm the targeted population that you were expecting to benefit from it.

• Even though key ethical considerations are avoiding conflicts of interest, maintaining independence of judgement, maintaining fairness, transparency, full disclosure, privacy and confidentiality, respect, responsibility, accountability, empowerment and sustainability. DO NOT HARM is still the first core value of ethical principles it is true that many expertises from different conducting data from in various sources cause harm to their beneficiaries unintentionally maybe at the data places or during presentation of data. I argue to all research to pirioty the safe their beneficiaries in the all field wwork.

• On this topic do no harm, what can say is that:

1. When the information is kept as a secret, it will allow more people to open up.
    2. Identifying people with experience or more knowledge is of importance.
    3. All very sensitive information most be handled with care and making sure that the data does not for in wrong hands.
    4. The surveys most be told or learn of keeping information confidential.
  • Guys, we have seen the importance of ethics in M&E, apart the principles mentioned in the course; Do no harm, honest and competence. what other ethical principles that we should consider when were are designing, implement M&E?

• In ensuring that monitoring and evaluation practises causes no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people; it's best to consider the experience of your participants, ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data, ensure that, when appropriate,participant data is kept anonymous and confidential, idenyify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• In ensuring that monitoring and evaluation practises causes no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people; it's best to consider the experience of your participants, ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data, ensure that, when appropriate,participant data is kept anonymous and confidential, idenyify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• In module 1 titled ethical principles, the do no harm.principle has enlightened me on why the data collected from.participants should be kept confidential and anonymous because when these information are well kept,participants in future project will be willing to partake in such surveys no matter how you try to convince them.
    I have also learnt in this module why a survey tool administered to the participant should be very direct to the point,not over bulging ,not being unnecessarily loaded so that participants don't find it too time demanding and confusing to give the right answers or answer all the questions

• I see not information to respond to.

• It's been interesting knowing that in data collection, consent is very important as interviewees need to know exactly what should be said and how they response will be used

• It's been interesting knowing that in data collection, consent is very important as interviewees need to know exactly what should be said and how they response will be used

• Do no harm is a principle where the people in a project are protected so that no physical or emotional harm is afflicted to them whether intentional or unintentional.

• Yes the data could further damage the reputation of the low status people by the already biased politicians. When presenting the data, the organization need to clearly stipulate the percentage of people who have committed the crimes and not generalizing the entire population.

• Ensuring that data collected from consenting subjects is highly important during data collection. More often subjects rights are violated when it comes to collecting data for projects. Its important that their opinions and concerns are respected and data collected from them does not violate their rights.

• YES THE INFORMATION CAN BE USED TO FURTHER DAMAGE THE GROUP OF PEOPLE BECAUSE ALREADY THE PEOPLE WHO ARE USING OR INTERPRETING THE INFORMATION ARE NOT IN GOOD TERMS WITH THE GROUP, SO THERE IS HIGH POSIBILITIES THAT THE POLITICIANCE CAN DAMAGE THE GROUP.

THIS IS WHY IN M AND E WE NEED TO ENSURE THAT OUR PARTICIPANTS ARE KEPT SAFE. BY SAYING SAFE I MEAN ENSURING THAT WE CONSIDER THE EXPERIENCE OF OUR PARTICIPANTS,ENSURE THAT WE HAVE THE PARTICIPANTS CONSENT,AND THE DATA IS KEPT CONFIDENTIAL AND ENSURE THAT WE IDENTIFY AND AVOID POTENTIALAREAS WHERE THE DATA MAY EXACERBATE EXISTING INEQUITIES

• Yes.. Strongly agree with these points as i have some personal experience like these. Suppoe in previous i dealed with an agri based project in that aspect we collected aadhar numbers from beneficiaries to create unique ids based on that but in future we faced some local issues with govt people and politicians who are trying capture all this data.

• As one means to beef up the element of anonimity, participants should be assigned pseudo names.

• Which model is best for storing data?

• Do not harm principle from a point of view should act as a neutral ground that balance both participants in all sort of manner. Taking into consideration of the experience of participants. There are always diversity of people in a given geographical area in that when carrying out the data collection. both parties should be involved. By doing so the data collector will identify the key factors the hinders both the fortunate and less fortune. This at the end will help come up with a possible solution that help all the parties.
    confidentiality of the data is crucial as the data collector who has the right to access help keeps the anonymity of the data collected. Linking data or exposing the data to third party may render the data void and also it will expose the participant, this at the end affects the consent of the participant and trust is lost as a result of all this.

• Do no harm, as a professional M & E the most appropriate thing is to handle clients data very important because to them is why they give you the access to collecting their data not just because they don't want to keep it with them but because they think it is more secure and confidentially kept with their professionals. They believe that those data can never be access by anyone unless you are grand permission from the organisation as part of the professionals who can collect at the same time view those data. However that is why you need to be more careful and do no harm to clients data likewise create a very good security walls for unauthorized person to get in access to it.

• Yes it will be.
    Political opponents would surely use data made available to them that could help them gain leverage on their opposition parties/ opponents. That is why it is very important to ensure that the data you collect is kept safe and used with intergrity, all the time.

• if i may add a comment i would say that do no harm concerning data collection may not only put the person we are hoping to help at risk but could also put the person collecting the data at risk if not properly handled. this in most instances can happens when we are dealing with sensitive political issue.

• keeping data confidentiality could be achieved at multiple levels during M & E System. The team members working on data collection should be clear on how to talk to participants about the data , what information needs to be transmitted across different levels of the organization. Avoiding side talk about the project is important to avoid eliciting rumors and biased early judgments.

• Participants are key in data collection and there is need to treat them justly and fairly and ensuring that they have consented to participate and provide with the data you are jn need of .Do not hurm the participants.

• My name is ndeye seynabou gueye. I am Senegalese . in From data collection to data use. I can talk about data privacy. I once did a survey of street children. But at first they were afraid to answer certain questions because it affected their private life. So once the information is received it must be used in good use and the anonoymat must be respected.

• *Bias - People can be biased about decision making especially people who have advantage and power over people to make decisions according to their own agendas and opinions. This might harm the society

It is always important to make sure that individuals who participate while collecting data are well informed about the organization's motives and goals to improve the well being of the society.

The people we use as a tool to collect data should feel the same way we do and be comfortable to provide us the accurate data and opinions.

It is the organization's responsibility to make sure we make them feel safe and with no transparency in humane way of having a normal conversations with lots of questions.

• it is important to take this to heart because some communities are populated with illitrates that may easily feel prejudiced

• it is very important for accurate M&E system to collect data in way that will never harm people wither from the affected commuities or from the others.

• It is important to ensure that in all your data collection processes, the safety, security and well being of your subjects is put under consideration and respected. it is important to always seek informed consent and ensure anonymity by not using certain variables like names.

• It is important to ensure that in all your data collection processes, the safety, security and well being of your subjects is put under consideration and respected. it is important to always seek informed consent and ensure anonymity by not using certain variables like names.

• To make sure the data collected or managed has or does no harm to any individual, or organisation or any ethical/culture or language of other people.
    To make sure the data doesn't damage other people's reputation or status privately or publicly.

• To make sure the data collected or managed has or does no harm to any individual, or organisation or any ethical/culture or language of other people.
    To make sure the data doesn't damage other people's reputation or status privately or publicly.

• Data isn't harmful to individual or organisation or society.
    Data that has no bias.
    Data that isn't disrespectful or make or have negative impact about religion Ire culture or ethics or language

Data that has no bias.
    Data that isn't disrespectful or make or have negative impact about religion Ire culture or ethics or language

Data that has no bias.

• Harmless, Unbiased , No damage to any one, organisation or society

• also have to be careful when we assess ethical risks that we do not self-reference - for example, if we think about an issue and conclude "i don't see any harm in this. I would not mind to be involved in this activity or release this information" then we are looking at it from our own point of view not our stakeholders. This could be dangerous because we might not experience the same types of vulnerabilities or risks as our stakeholders. We might have more resources, different networks ,or simply be able to leave the location at the end of the project whereas the project/program beneficiaries may have to stay there and face situations that we do not have to.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.