Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• other key ethics include; benevolence, respect and consent...

• what happens if the harm was not anticipated by the researcher?

• Whenever data is being collected, it is important to keep in mind that we are trying to creat a just and as well positive solution to the affected communities. Therefore, we are encouraged no to cause physical, emotional or reputation damage to the same people affected by our work. This wants us to honor their dignity, well-being and self-worthness. To strongly avoid the above, it is important to focus on protecting the data we are trying to collect. This involves considering the experience of the participants and they must as well be given informed consent of the data to be collected. Finally, the participant's data must be kept anonymous and confidential and it is important to identify areas where collected data may not be tempered with.

• I have witnessed many times how the Monitoring & Evaluation team under pressure from donors and deadlines forcibly collects certain data, not thinking about protecting the privacy of those from whom they collected data. It's great that extra attention was paid to this as well.

• The duty of the researcher is not to cause harm. Judgements need to be made about what are acceptable levels of harm

• This is very informative. So far I only pay attention to the fact that ensuring all data collected to be kept confidential, keeping profiles of respondents anonymous and not sharing it with other irrelevant stakeholders, but this module provides further information on other important elements of data collection related to No Harm principle.

• This is very sensitive ethical problem. Why do I say so? For example we are collecting data on how the county/regional development fund affects the life of people in different regions of a given country. Consider the fact that base on the findings from this report certain regions are not properly using the funds in the best interest of the people, political leaders of those regions will be interested to know names of people who may have given this nature of data. If certain group of people are identify or certain ethnic group is identify, they become unsafe because their identity have been compromise.

• Whenever you collecting data to implement a project make sure that the information you collect don't reflect any form of harm to those provided the data.

• It is very important that the M & E data collection process follow ‘Do No Harm’ principle so as to avoid causing any harm to those who are involved in this process. In the context of M & E, Do No Harm means that the data collection process and its usage must not bring harms or damages to those who are sources of information and data. So how can we prepare that our data collection process will not cause harms to those who are providing the information. First, make sure that the data collection tools such as interviews or focus group discussions do not cause burden to the participants or interviewees by taking a lot of their time. Thus, the use of these tools should be focused and specific to obtain the essential information being sought. Second, the use of information or dissemination of such information may provoke adverse consequences to the participants. Thus, explain the purpose of the use of the data/information well the participants in order to have their consent to use or to disseminate it. Even with their informed consent, the data collectors should be vigilant of the use of these data and information in order to avoid any potential harms to the community involved in the M & E process. Third, the information and data obtained need to be achieved securely should not be disseminated without informed consent of the providers of those data and information. Fourth, the anonymity of the participants giving information and data should be respected. Some people do not want their names to be mentioned for the information they provide. In such case, their anonymity needs to be respected fully. The last but not the least, the data collection process as well as the dissemination of findings need to be respectful and sensitive of local culture, traditions, religions, gender role, sexual orientation, age etc under the principle of the Do No Harm.

• Ethical aspect is one of the core areas that all M & E practitioners have to deal with. This aspect is broad and there is no fixed standards or criteria to approach the ethical issues comprehensively. However, this is necessary to be minimized as best as possible by all M & E practitioners. I’d like to discuss a few fundamental principles that should be adhered to.
    The first principle is ‘Do no harm’. The data collection process can sometimes be harmful to those who are providing information especially when such information is sensitive. Thus, the data collectors need to be very careful with this. In such situations, the data collection activity must avoid causing any harm to those who provides information. Unless such potential harm is considered unavoidable, then I think it should not be continued. Second principle is confidentiality, the information and data obtained need to be achieved securely should not be disseminated without informed consent of the providers of those data and information. Third principle is anonymity of the participants giving information and data. Some people do not want their names to be mentioned for the information they provide. In such case, their anonymity needs to be respected fully. The last but not the least, the data collection process as well as the dissemination of findings need to be respectful and sensitive of local culture, traditions, religions, gender role, sexual orientation, age etc.

• Ethics issue are a bit complex ,the people in charge need to make sure that everything is done to utmost standards

• It is our duty to safe guard the identity and information of our participants so that their information does not fall in the wrong hands and damage the well being, reputation or violet the privacy of our participants.

• According to the ethical principle your organization may have unique set of people with their own moral, religions and cultural belief. in this regard do no harm. may apply in some case, I may not release the information because it may harm the political opponent because it may further generate harm to the society. the aim is not to course harm to the community or sociaty.

D
    1 Reply
  • In last comment above, the data showing that some of the people belonging to this group do commit crimes could be used by political opponents to further their cause and result in harm to those you were surveying. Need to carefully consider how to honestly present the data from your project while avoiding causing harm to your participants.

• The module is very clear and understanding because it helps us to respect the reputation of the people also help us to work with different groups of people depending on their experiences.

• the M&E ethical principle is very important and is something that can closely be compared to doctors Hippocratic oath. Most importantly though, it is prudent to be human even in the face of doing our professional work as M&E by adhering to these principles.

• Data should be anonymous, it should not be able to be traced or linked back to the participant who provided that data. Who should not be able to link the data back to the participant? Is it the data collector, or just the other people who may have access to the data, or both?
    If its data collector too, how will they be able to reach the participants again to correct or complete the data if need arise?

• It is important to accurately define the indicators and to do a mock test of the questions and possibly a pilot before interviewing the participants.

Obtaining a written consent is very important.

• It is important to keep collected data confidential or anonymous, so that participants are not exposed to possible harm and damage

• DO NO HARM is an essential principle of ethical behavior in M&E.

This is actively avoiding causing harm to individuals (eg participants, stake holders, other people etc).

What to consider:

• the experience of participants. data collection should not be too long, time consuming or stressful to them.
    • the consent for collection and use of data collected.
    • anonymously (leave out personal details of participates so they cannot be identified) or confidentially (where personal data is collected on participants, ensure data is only accessible by people with permission to do so) keeping of data collected.
    • how others may make use of data collected. Avoid how data collected could for example be used to further discriminate against a certain group of people.
  • This will bring us to the issue of confidentiality. if there is no confidentiality then the "DO NO HARM" principle is not going to work. in our society people are afraid to share useful and important information because of lack of trust.

• Used to indicate that a situation or action will not hurt someone, whether or not it will provide any benefit.
    Do no Harm is a principle of bioethics that is also commonly used in areas such as sustainability. The principle is typically interpreted to mean that your actions should not cause injury or injustice to people. The principle, in its strictest sense can be applied to inaction.
    DO NO HARM does not, and cannot, make things simpler. Rather, DO NO HARM helps us get a handle on the complexity of the conflict environments where we work. It helps us see how decisions we make affect intergroup relationships. It helps us think of different ways of doing things to have better effects. The aim is to help assistance workers deal with the real complexities of providing assistance in conflicts with less frustration and more clarity and, it is hoped, with better outcomes for the societies where assistance is provided.

• It is extremly important to ensure people about data anonymous and confidential and its involvements. This confident must remain between people and whom are supposed to manage data

• How to ensure your M&E cause no harm to other participants, stakeholders and others.

I. I'm still having challenges with point 3

1. What if the respondent or participant can't read, is it possible to read read it for him/her.

2. Language barrier:, is it possible to get a translator for a respondent who don't understand per said language used

• It is important for an M& E expert to honor the dignity , well-being and self worth of individuals by mot intentionally or unintentionally causing physical , emotional or reputational damage to the participants. The Do No Harm Principle instructs researchers to actively avoid causing damage when collecting data.

When collecting data it is important for the M&E team to :

1. Consider the experiences of the participants
      2.Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data
      3.Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequalities
  • How can you do no harm to the people you are collecting data from?

• many people can take advantage of people's information inthe rural areas because of educational background

• To ensure your m and e practice cause no harm consider the experience of your participants , ensure that they give consent to collect their information and ensure that their data is kept anonymous and confidential

• What happens when the data is exposed

• teaches us to be confidential to the data collected

• It is equally important to avoid harm to prevent any future consequences.

Participants should be explained to on what is required of them and participate voluntary without any fear. Inform the participants of why data is being collected and that it will be in safe hands with no consequences. Being friendly will also help.

S
    1 Reply
  • The ethics are important in M & E process and this topic may require further discussion in more details.

• How do we ensure non biaseness during data collection

• We have to look for the participants who at least have experience ,data has to be stored for confidentiality .

• the four points on "Do No Harm" are very important to be considered. Its very clear now on the reasons why. Good points

• Honour is the dignity, well-being and self- worth of individual,if you cause physical, emotional or reputational damage to the people either intentionally or unintentionally it will affected by your work

• As you have meant above "the disclosure of very sensitive information, such as health information, sexual or political information, can harm an individual's reputation or safety."
    Data is property of the organization, hence we cannot disclose its information.

• A leak in data may cause a lot of damages to the beneficiaries as well as the reputation of an organization. Therefore, the importance of making sure that data is confidential in data management systems and anonymous especially in external presentations and reports can never be over emphasized.

• In reply to this topic, there is a real analytical view i have come across were the insurance of informed consent is particularly important especially in the collection of data within with rural communities. As one has to follow protocol for them to be able to have permission to intercept within the community or villages to carry their analysis. The protocol is presumed by the village chiefs, the police , the councilors of the village wards and also including the governmental ministries within the surroundings of the study area. This is important to practice as ethical uncertainties will be broken because the authorities within the area would have granted permission for the organization to carry out its study.

• While some medical schools ask their graduates to abide by the Hippocratic Oath, others use a different pledge — or none at all. And in fact, although “first, do no harm” is attributed to the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, it isn’t a part of the Hippocratic Oath at all. It is actually from another of his works called Of the Epidemics.

• Despite the need to collect high quality data to robustly inform our decisions, there is need to ensure we keep in mind the experiences of our respondents and keep our surveys short enjoyable. I have been part of a data collection that had surveys designed without consideration of the recipients experience or triggers for traumatic events. The do no harm principle is always necessary in ensuring an ethically sound data collection process.

• Its very important to consider the issue of causing harm during and after the project. So when carrying out a project that probes into people's personal life and experiences it is vital to avoid intentional or unintentional damage to the people involved in the project.

• I agree on this we should not harm the people for our data.

• Untrained researchers or data-collectors usually make many ethical issues. Harms and their consequences can cost the organizations much more the cost of training.

J
    1 Reply
  • Ethics means the principles that guide morally correct behavior
    Do no harm is one of the ethics principle.
    Consider the experience of your participants
    Ensure all participants gives informed consent to collect and use their data.

Ensure that when appropriate participants data is kept anonymous and confidential.

• how to ensure that M&E practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people.

• It is therefore ver essential to consider thge welfare of the participants who are providing us with data keep the information they provides us confident and bar u authorized personnel to access the information. They also must be kept anonymous and the information they provide must not be traceable to the data provider.

• It is important that the topic of any survey or evaluation is explicitly explained to participants, no cession, participants must be willing to be part of the survey and sign informed consent forms, also on the part of the organization the staff should have signed confidentiality agreements to ensure that no harmful information may be leaked out i.e. HIV Status of participants .

content of the questionnaire should not make participants feel ashamed , even the way the questions are asked.

• I think 'Don No Harm' is very important principle not only for data collecion and for M&E , its important for all activities done by an organization and it should be the first leading principle while working in an organization.
    and from my expereince 'Do No Harm' should start at the planning of data collection and the related activities and then it should be used in the implementation of data collectioas as well and later in the analysis and sharing insights about the data.

• 1.in organization you must consider the following steps.

• Consider the experience of your participants
    • ensure that all participants gives information consent to collect and use their data
    • ensure that,when appropriate data is kept anonymous and confident ntial
    • identify and avoid potential areas where your data my exacerbate existing inequities
  • All points in this section are very keen to consider before collecting data. And the first 3 points are more likely used or applied in the introduction part. Most of the introductions in data survey states the purpose of the data collection, the rationale in the data collection, the time expected to take during interview and lastly to comfort the participant by assuring that the information provided is confidential.
    But at the last point it is tricky. I consider the participant as my client, but we need the information to identify some issues that need to be addressed. I might stay quiet for some information to protect my clients but I will e guilty to stay quiet on the bad manners in the community.

• I understood that the priciple of DO NO HARM is very important in Data collection Process.

• c'est très intéressant

• I am Peter from Uganda, I am happy to be part of this Team. This is a very true and fair topic, i have read through and related it to many scenarios, I need an explanation of the Term Anonymous. thanks

• Potentially, one's M&E activities can cause damage to either individual beneficiaries, participating communities, and other stakeholders. In this light, The Do No Harm principle is a moral guide that enables M&E practitioners to be mindful of causing harm. This principle encourages one to be aware of participants' experiences and guarantee that they all give informed consent to collect and use their data. By this, participants must know what data the project aspires to get from them and how the process of collecting that data might affect them; also, they must give approval.
    Besides, to ensure participants' safety, this principle also provides for anonymity and confidentiality. It also cautions about identifying and avoiding activities that have the propensity of worsening existing unfair treatment on participants.

• During designing the data collection process and types of data being collected; then all the precautions should be taken or considered that the privacy of the respondents should be kept. One should keep in mind that how the data to be collected, represented without causing any harm to anybody.

• To ensure that no harm is caused data tools should be efficient and clear to avoid time consuming, ensure that the knowledge is shared by those who collect data and being aware of the risks henceforth. Data should be confidential and should be retrieved by those concerned because some can be too sensitive .

• To ensure that no harm is caused data tools should be efficient and clear to avoid time consuming, ensure that the knowledge is shared by those who collect data and being aware of the risks henceforth. Data should be confidential and should be retrieved by those concerned because some can be too sensitive .

• The do no harm principle is critical in the work that we do in the WASH sector. When collecting information on water supplies, it is critical that the information you get and analyze do not put the people in a situation that they'll be considered to be water sufficient while in real sense these people have a huge problem when it comes to water.

O
    1 Reply
  • “Do No Harm” is a basic ethical principle most
    commonly recognized as it is applied to health and
    medical research. “Do No Harm” means that in the
    implementation of health activities, be it treatment or
    intervention, the implementer will not, intentionally
    or otherwise, harm the subject. In “Ethics in TB&HIV
    Related Research, the types of harm
    are identified as emotional or psychological, social,
    physical, financial, legal or moral harm. From the
    delineation of these types of harm, it can be inferred
    that the “Do No Harm” ethical principle is applicable
    to a multitude of disciplines in these days.

• Hence it is better to use a unified format for all organisations, that is not bias and not influenced by societal, religious backgrounds of implementors.

• Data is very impotent of every organization. We get information from data.

• Yes, I totally agree with the topic which are written about privacy of the data.

• Do No Harm principle, is to avoid exposing peolple to additional risk through our actions.That is, we take a step back from an intervention to look at the broader context and mitigate potential negative effects.

• Ethical issues are very important in M&E and must not be ignored.

• When people feel that their data will be kept safe and anonymous, response rate will be high.

• In situations where your data collection process unintentionally harm your participants, how do you mitigate it?

• following the do no harm policy helps to build trust between participants and the data collector and this is where the consent form comes in making them aware they are in charge of the entire process and can choose to discontinue at anytime.

• DO NOT HARM

Be careful with data as is very critical for decision making and also consider the once you collect from that at the end it wont harm them directly or indirectly.

To esure that our M& E processes do not bring harm wie need to cosider that we put in mind the following;

1. Consider the eperience of your participants-whether they understand what is required of them
    2. Ensure informed consent in data collection to your participants
    3. Ensure confidetiality to data.
    4. Identify and avoid areas where data can be used to harm.
  • DO NOT HARM

Data is very critical in decisio making thus it has to safe guarded to ensure it does not harm indirectly or directly.

But to ensure the process is not harmful certain majors must be put in place like;

1. Consider the experience of your participants regarding data collection.
      2Ensure informed consent in data collection.
    2. Ensure confidentiality.
    3. Identify and avoid areas where data can be used to harm.
  • It is very important in ensuring no harm is caused during any data collection or gathering evidences and as well seek consent participants involved.

• Do NO Harm means that there is need to be more focused in seeking the information and be detailed in the collected information. it is because when this information reaches other persons it may not get misleaded. At times people engaged in one situation gets hypnatized and use the similar information in other way or understand with different perspective. therefore it is the need of the hour to collect the full information about the ongoing activities of the project considering the fact that collected information in any case won't spoil the repute of the individuals provided data. Sometimes we get data about some of the project interventions that are driven on the command of local influentials who are not ligitimate in their action and if their deeds are known and taken care of they can become enemy of informant. if we take example of any quarbani or wash project where there are issues in implementation and we get to know from a person then we shouldn't release the name of the person who have informed us.

• when designing, collecting, analyzing and sharing Data, we have to make sure that we do no Harm.
    we have to consider potential risks for all stakeholders at all stages of the process.
    we have to avoid or minimize anything that will cause physical or emotional harm to participants, as well as making participants aware of any potential harms prior to their participation.

• when designing, collecting, analyzing and sharing Data, we have to make sure that we do no Harm.
    we have to consider potential risks for all stakeholders at all stages of the process.
    we have to avoid or minimize anything that will cause physical or emotional harm to participants, as well as making participants aware of any potential harms prior to their participation.

• Ethics is very important. Especially in areas where there are existing inequalities or political tensions. Project implementers need to pay cognisance to these disparities.

• Given that the data suggests that some in the group have done criminal acts, then some unscrupulous politicians may use it to support their claims that the group is responsible for local problems. While there maybe some truth to it, one cannot generalise and blame the entire group for individual acts.

• The data can not be used by political opponents because it will cause further damaged this group of people believed to have committed crime. It is good to do a pretesting first to confirm whether your data will do any harm to this group people. Carefully, explain to them the purpose of collecting such data and give informed consent for them to decide whether to participate or not. Do not force anyone to participate instead let it be voluntary. Ensure that the data provided is private and confidential to avoid damaging anyone's reputation or safety.

• Is it a problem with my browser, I don't see the discussion question

• Its very important to avoid the harming, because once the benneficiaries know that the collected data is not private, they may get hungry and feel down if it is related to their indicidual lifes, so every data must be kept in private, only acessible to workers whom will use correctly without harming the participants.

• Do no harm is a key principle of ethical behavior within M&E to ensure that all participants to seek consent to collect and use their data,, to ensure that the people you are collecting data from understand exactly what they are agree to participate
    To ensure that participants data are kept anonymous and confidential
    Identify and avoid potential area

• I need the notes to read

• It so essential to check and always ensure that you stick to the ethical principle of do no harm because if you do not consider this you could intentionally or unintentionally harm participants and that will even ruin your data and data use.

• So true participants have to be protected always.

• M and E teams should be very careful and vigilant on how they collect and use their data. The information collected should not intrude participants privacy or inquire about staff without their consent and permission. The data collected as well should be strictly confidential where its only accessed by those who have permission and data should not be leaked any how

• It is clear, you should always need to be careful when collecting data especially when it involves certain communities or group of people. But my question is, how can we really avoid situations where the only people willing to give the information comes from one class of people?

• I think we must give special attention to this aspect because it may lead the participants to some difficulties and social problems in their environment if we don't keep the data anonymous and confidential especially in sensitive health cases, like HIV transmission. It is also crucial to get the informed consent from them in order to collect and use their data. In my personal experience, I found some people rejecting to involve in the survey because they mostly believe that it would not be beneficial to their life according to their experience in previous surveys. It is also important for data collectors not to give any false hope to them about the survey. These are all that I would like to discuss about the topic, do no harm, in this module.

• Ethical Issues to consider in simple term:
    The tools should be easy to use within a short period.
    Allow participants to give consent for participation
    Ensure confidentiality of the participants
    Ensure their safety by making sure that their data is used only for the purpose for which it is collected and nothing else

• the information gathered from those people even if if they have committed a crime in their past , i should report that to politicians to keep confidentiality and for the will of the research that you are doing

• One of the work of M& E is a Collection of Data/information from respondents who are supposed to be relevant for that particular project. The way we select the respondents of the data, the way we keep the collected data, the way we produce the report on the collected data etc, shouldn't be on the way to harm the respondents. If we use the data/information gathered from respondents in the way that harm the respondents at any time, we are not ethical, or we Violet the ethical principle " Do no harm."

• M&E process must ensure that no harm comes to the participants either through the process of gathering data, analyzing the data and even using the data. it must ensure the safety of participants at every process involved in monitoring and evaluation.

• IT IS IMPORTANT TO RESPECT THE DIGNITY AND WELL BEING OF THE RESPONDENTS WHEN COLLECTING ANALYZING AND PRESENTING DATA

• Bonjour, Moi c'est Faya Nestor TOLNO d'origine Guinéen
    J'aimerais avoir un peu d'éclaircissement par rapport à ce principe d'éthique "Ne pas Nuire"
    Comment pouvons nous identifier que telle participant à pour objectif la divulgation des données et quelles sont les mesures à prendre pour atténuer ce comportement ?

• Such data may exacerbate the existing knowledge about this particular group of individuals.

• What happens if I collected data from individual, and then the data used in report maybe as Best Lesson learnt.
    I have the duty to maintain confidentiality agreement but it's now out of my control, politicians want to use the data to accuse my client, what will I do?

• In any organization to collect data we have to consider the following

• Participant give informed and consent to get data
      -participant data is kept anonymous and confidential
    • list item
  • How do I have to work, for example I am doing a study that speaks about the opinions of opponents vis-à-vis the president in place. I have to give more arguments about the things that do not work and that work in relation to his government. I'll be forced to talk about whatever is how downside or what doesn't work. not in the sense of harming but of helping the population to open up their memories

• there you are right, because when the field investigations are made, there are questions which are sensitive and confidential. led when the results were published, the people who worked on this must really be serious men, and have a very high sense of morality. whoever makes analyzes or publishes results must have confidentiality in him. it is an emergency for most research firms

• Hi every body,
    I'm Dener Francois, a haitian who is taking this wonderful course. I Think that this M&E ethical principles point expressed by "Do No Harm" has to require our full attention considering the importance of the beneficiaries and public valuable feedback/agreement on our final decisions based on data collected, managed, analysed and published in the data life cycle perspective. In this point of view, an assessment of the existing situation is mandatory to figure out key elements to integrate in our data design and collect strategies.

Dener
    Francois

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.