Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I agree with you Shezinomaz, every piece of data should be treated with caution as manhandling or misusing it can result in adverse effects that can hamper the attainment of project goals.

• The prinipe of Do no harm is very crucial and important if you want to be ethical and respect people dignity.
    Taking care of it,will prevent you many issues such program stopping, program succes is depended on it

• How can you ensure that your M&E practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people?
    a- Consider the experience of your participants.
    Which experience about providing data do they have? Is it stressful and confusing or simple and intuitive? Is it time-consuming or efficient?
    b- Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data.
    c- Ensure that, when appropriate, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential.
    Data is anonymous if it cannot be linked back to the individual who provided it. Data is confidential if it can
    only be accessed by those who have permission.
    d- Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• Data collection is the most important aspect of M&E that an M&E officer should consider as baseline information for further actions either within or outside the organisation.

• I appreciate that this course begins with looking at the ethics of M&E since it is so important. At my current position, I am working with offices to improve their ability to provide evidence based programming. Given that their resources are often strained, I also have to consider how to ensure that data collection does not put undo strain on the office staff themselves, since this would cause them potential harm as well as potentially cause harm to the communities they serve.

• I appreciate that this course begins with looking at the ethics of M&E since it is so important. At my current position, I am working with offices to improve their ability to provide evidence based programming. Given that their resources are often strained, I also have to consider how to ensure that data collection does not put undo strain on the office staff themselves, since this would cause them potential harm as well as potentially cause harm to the communities they serve.

• in this case most ,Data is anonymous if it cannot be linked back to the individual who provided it.
    Data is confidentia if it can only be accessed by those who have permission.
    looking at competency, their by providing professional skills .

• Do no harm under the principle of ethical behavior of M&E speaks about our ability of knowing the people of whom we are gathering our data from, not inconveniencing them and however, must see to it that they give consent before angaging them with our data gathering..However, being confidential with every of their personal info & response to our data inquiry is what we must not take with levity.. On no ground should we expose their data to any third party or be used against what they gave consent to..

• this means the researcher must honor the dignity, self-worth of any individual whom he/she intends to gather data. when this is put into perspective, a level of trust can be considered here.

• This is best principles that would make our data collection well, and result good decisions

• Do not harm, in my opinion is a key ethical concept and integral to consider when designing and/ or implementing data collection as this could positively or negatively impact the data and hence data management and analysis could turn out with bias, poor outcomes from intended objectives & interventions.

• Projects are made to impact positively on lives of individuals, same as the data collected about a particular sample group. The ethics in data collection cannot be overlooked as this could impact positively or negatively on the intended outcome from data analysis and possibly the solutions drawn up from data collection. Hence, do not harm entails answering the basic questions of ethics as we aim to preserve the sanctity of the individual whose data we are collecting, in order to carry out a specific project objective.

• The "do no harm" principle is very essential in data collection. It enables one make a fair judgement in certain issues.

J
    1 Reply
  • Yes, the data if release can be use to damage or hurt these people. That's why it's extremely important to always make sure that confidential data are locked with keys in the office.

• Data collection is a critical task of a Project Manager and team in the process of ensuring the effective performance and the efficient use of available resources durng the implementation of a project plan. But there is a great concern of appropriate use of the collected data hence, the Project Manager and team has to ensure that the M&E practices cause no harm to participants, stakeholders or other people(in the community). The non ethical use of data can cause a serious damage to diffrent parts of the society not only for the participants who deliver the information needed on the subject under study. Therefore, based on the module under study one of the critical areas we should take care for participants is to take maximum care not to do harm to them.

• It's important for one to be professional and ethical in handling other peoples information or data which they have entrusted in our care.....

• Data on crimes committed by vulnerable people may well put them in serious trouble. indeed, the criminal in question is a person who either lacks a good reputation in social organization, but also is the object of fear of many people. In collective understanding, the criminal is a bad person. However true this consideration may be, the data disseminated on this person may even earn him his life because the criminal is a being to be eliminated.

• In such a case, it would then be very interesting that the reasons for these crimes are highlighted not only to avoid the bad exploitation of the politicians of these (the data), but also that this highlighting is promoting because nothing only worth a peaceful world.
    However, in the ethical sense of research, one must demonstrate this discretion or the commitment of anonymity made to the respondents.

• Yes the data can be used to damage these people's reputation further and ruine their lives that's why confidentiality is very important and making sure that data lands in the right hands

S
    1 Reply
  • I know its easier said than done. sometimes harm is caused without the knowledge therefore takes an extra thought to imagine

• After working with data for a couple of years, i have come to learn the importance of ensuring that at every point of your data collection point, the process should not cause any arm to the participants

• Data collected from participants will become important source of information to assess the progress of our work and understand the present status of the society at large. So it is very important that the so collected data should be use for positive effects and not harming the participants and society. We need to seek prior consent from the participants and should keep their personal and sensitive information confidential.

• Definitely not! Data is privacy and privacy is freedom. One of the biggest challenges we are facing globally is data, how's being kept, how it's being used and who has access to it. No one would like to share their data with anyone without permssion so the people we are working with. After all, our goal from collecting this data is to tell if we our work is on track or not and we should honor their help in sharing these information with us by keeping it safe and confidential

F
    1 Reply
  • i already love this course's topics, looking forward for more useful knowledge

• Well this is one of the ethics in conducting M & E activities to ensure that data provided from the field is well kept and confidential to avoid leakage of personal data, also this tell us on what you need to do to sure respondents are not harmed from the date they provide

• This topic heard been a nice one i hav ereally enjoyed this topic but only i'm affected by time and internet connections

• Working with data is a job for responsible people, otherwise it may bring big problems between a group of people, at my job position, one of my task is to collect satisfaction surveys from our customer after a work completion, my send emails to them, but despite they feedback, we do not share their names, we just the data to measure our work process and for improvement matters.

• Do no harm initially talks about for example if am collecting data in the field, before I start with my interviews or questionnaires, informed consent has to be gotten from the participants and confidentiality has to be exercised

• No, i think this case is unacceptable bacause we must protect our stackholders identity.

• Do No Harm
    We are actively instructed by this principle to avoid causing damage to the well-being and self worth of individuals whether intentionally or unintentionally.

How to prevent this
    1.) The people from whom you are collecting data from- Do u make is stressful or simple? Is the method efficient or time consuming

2.) Make sure data collected from individuals are kept anonymous and confidential, in the sense that those days cannot be traced back to them and are only accessible to people having the right permission to them.

3.) Individuals whose data are collecting must be well educated on the use of such days so as to enable them understand what they are agreeing to participate in.

4.) It is important to consider how the data you collected from individuals can cause harm when used by others

• This is a really interesting topic.

• It is very important to respect the reputation of the people whom we are conducting survey to but taking the advice to share the information which have been direct to us that we can share and keep private the information that can not be shared and sensitive

• where does written consent to government before data collection

• This your thought pattern is excellent.

• It is imperative to keep Data as anonymous if it cannot be linked back to the individual who provided it. Data is confidential if it can only be accessed by those who have permission. I can tell that the society we find ourselves today is as a result of the data that was collected several years ago.

• The complexity of the "Ethics" as a topic is often underestimated. With best interest at heart, if not careful, one can cause irreparable damage to the target population. As such, I believe it's imperative that the M&E teams have candid discussions on the Ethical considerations and emerging issues in their programs/project.

• It is important to uphold Do No Harm principle at all times. Each and every participants datas must be treated with respect, and kept anonymous and confidential at all times.

• Its important that this ethical issue of do not harm is strictly adhered-to otherwise, the participants may suffer harm or the organisation many suffer among things reputation damage and legal redress.

• Do no Harm"
    In order to data collection we have to put our concentration in this part that the data that we want to gather should not harm others and this data must be confidential and anonymous,
    harming of the people in term of data collection can be including disseminating of their privacy, address and so on. because we already promised them to keep them information confidential and its very important to be honest with the promises that we had with them.
    considering the experience of the participant is also very important in order to collect the data, if we try to gather data its very important to know about the experience of the participant regarding the data it mean that we should gather the data over the right persons and by using of a short time,
    and ensure that all the participant give consent to provide data, and providing of this data need some require that we should consider that before data collection in order to have a successful data collection and this requirement is belong to participant and its include, keeping the data confidential and we are responsible to keep this data confidential,
    Honesty:
    it mean that you should collect use and disseminate your data honestly and its also require that you should be honest with the limitation of your organization and being clear about the process of M&E in Organization,
    collecting of data really also require honesty and its also possible that no one will be wrong in presentation of wrong data, in order to verify whether the data is collected right or wrong the M&E professional consider some rules to make ensure them self that the gathered data is accurate.
    1- ensure that the data you present is accurate. mean that you should chick the accuracy of your data and data should be accurate.
    2- ensure the findings from M&E accurately represented. mean that during data collection your finding is very important to be represented this finding can be including, Risk, Issue and conflict between beneficiaries.
    these part should be noted and must be presented in order to gate a vital decision for solution.
    3- share the limitation for your strategies- mean that you should conduct the data collection based on resources that your organization allocated for data collection.

• Do not harm (primum non nocere) while monitorin and eveluating yhis ethical principle is divided in 4 other principles:

• consider the experiences of your participants

• ensure all the participants give informed consent

• confidentiality

• avoid to exacerbate the existing inequities

• It's very important to have written and signed agreement of the participants in a survey before start asking questions. Also anonymat is key in the data collection and data use system. Participants have to know what their information will be used for and what will be the benefit for them or the community.

• agree on this. Consequences may be devasting

• This is really an eye opener, the necessity of confidentiality cannot be overemphasized because this has closed the door to further data collection in some affected areas

• There is possibilities that they will used it for good and to damage the group of people. because of that they always blame by the politicians, the politician will find way to discipline that group of people

• yes i think it can do further damage because they might end up be exposed to emotional and physical harm by other members of the community and might not be recognised in case of job opportunities or benefit from sponsors or programmes that are introduce towards community development projects.

• yes i think it can do further damage because they might end up be exposed to emotional and physical harm by other members of the community and might not be recognised in case of job opportunities or benefit from sponsors or programmes that are introduce towards community development projects.

• La nature des données collectées auprès d'une couche de personnes bien precipr peut elle biaisé les résultats ?

• Les enquêtes non exhaustive sont t'elles honnête ?

• Overwhelming experience after I finished the module1 of this exemplar course. I have learned some new topics and information that is new and fresh to my intellect. Philanthropy University is doing a great service for people like us to learn some new concepts and upgrade our skills and intellect. As a person from the technical arena and planning to do some data science and analytic course in the future, I hope it might be helpful for me to lay some foundation work.

• data collected from individuals must remain anonymous and confidential. we must apply the DO NO HARM principle throughout our data collection process. ethics must be essential in our projects.

• We must have respect for the participants and their data we collect, their identity must be propected.

• Definitely it effect this if the data is not kept anonymous

• It is a good topic because confidential data or feedback against someone else can do harm and give bad perceptions.

• It is a good topic because confidential data or feedback against someone else can do harm and give bad perceptions..

• take into account the needs of the population
    avoid despising her
    aids must not constitute a danger

• The three Main principles of ethical behaviours should always be taken note of and they include avoiding harm,honesty and comoetence

• releasing the information we have taken from the people their data, promising to protect, comment on the rules, we will guarantee the guardian of the force,
    something must be protected,

• I agree with the fact it might necessarily be me the M & E officer causing problems with my data, but other users might use the data wrongly or interpret it incorrectly to cause harm to the already affected population.

• releasing the information we have taken from the people their data, promising to protect, comment on the rules, we will guarantee the guardian of the force,
    something must be protected,

• This has been a very enlightening segment.
    What is the right thing to do when it is discovered that a data collection exercise which was already approved to take off lacks in 'do no harm' principle?

• Understanding of the local culture is key to determine the probability of occurrence of data management ethical issues. This needs prior research and understanding of the community before data is collected.

• At this stage information or data gather concerning other groups of people should be confidential, so that delicate information concerning them will not be expose to attract enemies into their lives. And also you must becareful not destroy their image with your information you gather from them.

• Do no harm
    A principle in data collection that guides participants in collection of data. As an ethical user of the data, a number of guiding codes of conduct are considered ;

• consent for information use must be granted
    • Assurance of privacy of information collected to the participants by keeping the information confidential & anonymous
      etc
  • Yes data collected for the purpose of M&E could be used to course harm to other, which is why data provided for purpose of M&E must handled with care and kept discrete especially where data is confidential.

Data that you release be used by political opponents to further damage this group of people, which is why data provided should be anonymous that it can not be traced back to the source of the data.

S
    1 Reply
  • En clair comment peut-on définir l éthique ?

• At all time we should have a win win situation doing no ham to anybody

• Data can stand as the voice of the people.

• You are correct sir.

• It is important to keep in mind how others might think about the data, and to imagine scenarios whereby the data could be used for harmful purposes. Careful thinking and enquiries from others with useful experiences could help avoid this pitfall. The issue of confidentiality and anonymity must not be taken for granted.

D
    1 Reply
  • Oui c'est possible, si ces données ne sont anonymes et confidentiel

• well, these three ethical principles are extremely useful to put on board for whoever is M&E officer because as I have seen from the first principle explains it all that do no harm, this imply that in all angles as an M&E person do not generate and collection information just to benefit yourself and just because you want to get done with the work, but rather get people to be comfortable and free to give you the information in order to help solving/addressing community problems in well mannered following and obey ethical group .

F
    1 Reply
  • Obeying ethical principles in M&E is very crucial. The principles are; do no harm, honest and competence. Do no harm principle tells us that we should not cause harm to anyone during M&E. In addition, we should be honest and competence on what we are doing.

• OK. What do no harm principle teach us?

D
    1 Reply
  • I concure with you.

• Ethics are the principles that guide morally correct behaviour. As an M&E expert, three principles of ethical behaviour are essential to keep in mind. These are: Do no harm; Honesty; Competence.

• As an M&E expert we must honor the dignity, well-being, and self-worth of individuals. We must not, intentionally or unintentionally, cause physical, emotional or reputational damage to the people affected by our work.
    Unless we are careful, our M&E processes have the potential to cause enormous harm. The Do No Harm principle instructs us to actively avoid causing damage.

• Regarding to the case study above, each department should have tool M&E for data collecting. As we know that there are more ways on how to collect the data but there is not sure that our collecting data can use or not. Moreover, each department should consider the experience of your participants, must ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data and must ensure that when appropriate, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential; these points are correct. To be honest, there is M&E department and EMIS department which are under my directorate general of policy and planning of Ministry of Education, Youth and sport, Cambodia. These two department which is main guys on collecting data and doing M&E of data collecting. The most special; EMIS data is use for all level since national level till school level, included private sector. Even though, these technical department can respond these work well but there is lack human resource also because these are hard word. So kindly learn experience from other countries. Thanks

• Do not respect the local cultures of the countries or Making children work

• Good to learn about the ethical perspectives when it comes to data collection

• What's the difference between justice and honest

• As one of the bases of Ethics DO NO HARM teaches us to Honor the dignity, well-being, and self-worth of individuals. Do not, intentionally or unintentionally, cause physical, emotional or reputational damage to the people affected by your work.

• Do no harm; Is the principle of ethical behaviour which has a large area concern. Harm can happen in different situations, whether deliberately or accidentally.

So individual who are dealing with ethics must think of a wide scope of unethic environments which can harm individuals.

Harm can be physical, emotional, psychological or reputational

• It is true that no matter how the much the data cause seems harmless, it is still very important to keep it anonymous and confidential. This is purposely to avoid any blame from opposition people or politicians who are against the organization carrying out the data collection. The notes we're clear and self explanotary

• It is true that no matter how the much the data cause seems harmless, it is still very important to keep it anonymous and confidential. This is purposely to avoid any blame from opposition people or politicians who are against the organization carrying out the data collection. The notes we're clear and self explanotary

• Do no harm are consider the experience of your participants, Ensure that all participants give informed consent to collect and use their data, Ensure that, when appropriate, participant data is kept anonymous and confidential, Identify and avoid potential areas where your data may exacerbate existing inequities.

• It is good to avoid from areas where we know our data may be stolen and it will make a harm to our beneficiary.

• ethics are key in any venture which involves participants or people as subjects

J
    1 Reply
  • the data collection exercise must be comfortable for the participant...

• data segregation must also be done in such as way that it is not possible to identify a participant

• true. it is important to look at the data collection procedure from the beneficiaries. point of view...

• other key ethics include; benevolence, respect and consent...

• what happens if the harm was not anticipated by the researcher?

• Whenever data is being collected, it is important to keep in mind that we are trying to creat a just and as well positive solution to the affected communities. Therefore, we are encouraged no to cause physical, emotional or reputation damage to the same people affected by our work. This wants us to honor their dignity, well-being and self-worthness. To strongly avoid the above, it is important to focus on protecting the data we are trying to collect. This involves considering the experience of the participants and they must as well be given informed consent of the data to be collected. Finally, the participant's data must be kept anonymous and confidential and it is important to identify areas where collected data may not be tempered with.

• I have witnessed many times how the Monitoring & Evaluation team under pressure from donors and deadlines forcibly collects certain data, not thinking about protecting the privacy of those from whom they collected data. It's great that extra attention was paid to this as well.

• The duty of the researcher is not to cause harm. Judgements need to be made about what are acceptable levels of harm

• This is very informative. So far I only pay attention to the fact that ensuring all data collected to be kept confidential, keeping profiles of respondents anonymous and not sharing it with other irrelevant stakeholders, but this module provides further information on other important elements of data collection related to No Harm principle.

• This is very sensitive ethical problem. Why do I say so? For example we are collecting data on how the county/regional development fund affects the life of people in different regions of a given country. Consider the fact that base on the findings from this report certain regions are not properly using the funds in the best interest of the people, political leaders of those regions will be interested to know names of people who may have given this nature of data. If certain group of people are identify or certain ethnic group is identify, they become unsafe because their identity have been compromise.

• Whenever you collecting data to implement a project make sure that the information you collect don't reflect any form of harm to those provided the data.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.