Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The dilemma is that of running the RCI without the competence level required. However the team may still go ahead if the they feel competent enough after attending the workshop.

• Every team must be fully capacitated and competent

S
    B
    P
    3 Replies
  • Your competence level definitely ties in with being honest, you should never take on what are just not capable of doing. It does not mean you are weak, everyone has their strong points. What may not being your strongest asset, you should acquire the skills to strengthen them, if possibe.

• Totally agree

• The competency, “knowledge of and practices with data collection planning and resource management” involves the following:
    Defining the problem that needs to be solved
    Identifying data sources, and creating a data collection plan and setting goals
    Developing a plan for curating and managing collected data.
    The competency, “communicating data and using different types of data for advocacy and storytelling” involves the following:

Define your goal & audience
    Choose the right data & find hidden insights
    Select effective visualizations to communicate a compelling story
    Using visual data analysis, professionals extract insights to find a narrative thread. By tailoring to the right audience, professionals can select the most effective format/visualization to communicate a compelling story.

A
    J
    2 Replies
  • The competency, “communicating data to inform decision-making” involves the following:
    Analyzing survey data
    Using collected data to revise and/or create new knowledge and/or reaffirm the existing theory.
    Ability to frame an array of data points to set a baseline or present context.

• As said it is very difficult to deny doing something for not having the skills and, maybe denying it right away is not the best solution. Maybe explain that you don't feel you have enough skills but that you would seek support whether in forums like these, friends, youtube, internet, whatever.

• very interessing

• Data collection and analysis courses which includes the use of technology or technology driven data collection.
    To do so, a leader must inform the team members on the importance of taking up a course and assist them in enrolling on some available courses.

• Cultural competence is a readiness to engage with various sections of communities to embrace cultural and contextual dimensions important to monitoring and evaluation. Culturally competent M&E staff not only respect the cultures represented in the process but recognize their own culturally based assumptions; take into account the differing world view of evaluation stakeholders and target communities and select culturally appropriate options and strategies. The beauty of this that, if an evaluation can be embedded within an indigenous framework, it is more responsive to tribal ethics and values. A culturally competent orientation to M&E acknowledges the complexity of cultural identity, recognizes the dynamics of power and recognizes and eliminate bias in language and employs culturally appropriate options.
    This requires that M&E teams should:
    Ensure that they have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes,
    Decline to run M&E processes that they are not equipped to do well,
    Continually improve their skills.

E
    1 Reply
  • Cultural and technical skills are needed to do so. If these required skills are not available, being open-up to your stakeholders for the sake of honesty will be a good option or my team will rather hire the service of a consultant for capacity building.

• The ethical dilemma in this case in lack of competence. Competence is very critical in the success of M & E process. One is advises to; improve his or her skills by taking additional courses, decline M&E assignment is he or she lacks competence, and understand the cultural dynamics. This case therefore falls squarely in the lack of competence.

• It is a great topic. Ethic, honesty and competence are essential in collecting, processing and presenting data.

• Competence has to do with having the skills and mastery of methods and tools used for data collection and analysis. It is a fact that skills are gained through learning by doing but frequently organizing capacity building seminars and meeting would give room for new skills to be gained and old skills to be revived.

• Elearning is a convenient and comfortable platform for gaining skills and must be encouraged by employers to their employees

• Refresher trainings would keep project staff at the top of their performances and as such give results expected in a project

J
    1 Reply
  • Knowing the gaps is important to having an understanding of what is an is not currently possible and what needs additional training in order to be possible.

• Honesty, under the Principle of Ethical Behavior of M&E..Talks about our skills to effect an adequate & a top notch professional M&E processes... Our ability of being able to apply both technical & natural skill to achieve an accurate & dependable data report, ability of using a designed technical skill to specifically guide our data collection and as well a cultural skill to guide us through the environment setup of our targeted data collection area or vicinity..

However, as a professional data capturer, we must be sincere to decline and not embark on a M&E process we are not technically and culturally fit for, so as not make up a false data for our stakeholders, and on the instance of jobs we can't out rightly decline, it's a must we let our limitation known to our stakeholder in regards the project to prepare their mind on what the report of the data might likely be

Above all, we should never stop learning, we should make it a habit of investing more in out knowledge, skills and course upgrade from time to time

• To me, the cultural skills, work hand in hand with the Do no harm principle

• To me, the cultural skills, work hand in hand with the Do no harm principle

• If you and your team doesn't have the required skills I think is best you upgrade your skills through training. Also try to understand the culture of people in the community that you'll be working

• Moral aspect of handling an M & E task process manly refers to avoiiding doing harm to participants of the process, being honest about the process and results and finally the Competence required to collect the data for the planned purpose. As we have seen in the final Module, the the principle of competence states that one should only use tools or processes when s/he is confident that they have the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently. To excute this responibility effectively one need to equip his/her skills continuously and somtimes declining the offer to do it might be the best alternative in the case where the person lacks the required confidence in perfoming the task skillfully as expected.

• Make sure you are capable of the work and u are able to collect accurate data/information coz being very competent at work is very important and a must and always improve your skills by advancing your knowledge or learning/developing your skill

F
    1 Reply
  • Absolutely critical

• Data collection and analyze is skill that we need to learn and improve. A competent M&E officer can use the right tools and techniques for data collection and also analyzing the data. Technical skills can be learn from various means such as the online courses and on hand training. Skills can be acquired and develop with learning.

J
    1 Reply
  • For me, the principle of competence challenges organizations and individual professionals alike to be accountable to themselves and stakeholders. I am particularly intrigued by the aspect of cultural competence. Many at times, very technically qualified people or equipped organizations fail to deliver because of their inability to take the cultural needs or requirements of participants into account.

J
    1 Reply
  • every member within a project must have that compitency in him/her hence doing this survey on this topic would help other know their compotency in project cycle

• Competence
    This principle states the use of tools or processes the M&E expert is confident that he has the skill both cultural and technical to use competently.
    So he ensure that;

1. He has both cultural skills(that allow him use tools and processes correctly) and technical skills (that allows him work in a safe, culturally-appropriate way with people

2.) He declined to run M&E process that he is not equipped to do well.

3.) He must seek to continually improve his skill and that of his teammates.

• Competence, the most important ethical principle:
    This is because Cultural and technical skills and competencies are embedded within the principle of competence. This principle States that you should only use tools or processes when are confident that you have the skills ( both cultural and technical) to use them competently. Now, violating this ethical principle, means u will work where u do not have the cultural understanding of the people u are dealing with, and u might probably cause harm to the people by doing things not acceptable or that had fallen off the norms of the people. It could be a language barrier, in which case it would affect the effiency of communication, which may in turn affects the reliability of the data collected.
    On the other hand, technical skills allows u to use tools and processes correctly. If u are not very much aquinted with the skills for a particular project, even if all other protocols were strictly adhered to, and are able to collect data without causing the smallest harm to all involved, and exercising all the level of honesty to secure an absolutely accurate data, without the correct the correct expertise, skills and techniques, the former efforts will all be rendered in vain.
    So, that's to say, competence is the key to all ethical successes.....

• Data collection is involving with people. In collecting data we must consider the cultures. It is important that we need to be competent in both technical and cultural.

• Cultural competency is as important as technical competence. An M&E team needs to be well versed with both before attempting to conducted M&E activities.

• Great knowledge received on the guiding principles for ethics in M & E.

• The competence technically or culturally are the key pre-requisites for running M&E processes. And not only running but with success. Over the decade of being engaged with M&E, many times situation occurred that I was not fit for the job or to be in a team of M&E unit because of language barrier, but, my team members accommodated me and help me to overcome this challenge. While, I was struggling with this, I often faced the challenges in data collection, conducting interviews or FGD's and here I can feel strongly that what happens and what kind of damages can cause to the organization if the team is not culturally or technically equip properly.

• getting skills is relevant.
    About cultural or social considerations that may need to be taken into count when collecting data in somme area, M&E must, if possible, use people from those localities to conduct such activities with supervisions.

• getting skills is relevant.
    About cultural or social considerations that may need to be taken into count when collecting data in somme area, M&E must, if possible, use people from those localities to conduct such activities with supervisions.

• This is a necessary prerequisite to obtaining adequate data that could applied to meet specific needs.

• It is necessary to measure organization's preparedness before embarking on a project, so as to ascertain competence

• Avoir des compétences ethnique suffisamment elles pour rendre une enquête valide?

• Avoir des compétences ethnique suffisamment elles pour rendre une enquête valide?

• About cultural or social considerations that may need to be taken into count when collecting data in somme area, M&E must, if possible, use people from those localities to conduct such activities with supervisions.

• the competence is not complete with out the other ethics and vise verse.

• Your work must be professional and it is based on your technical and technical skills wich are very important to provid good results.

• really your right

• Competence rely on technical and cultural skills. Technical skills is all about the skills required to run the research including palnning ,maping etc..while cultural is the skills required to run a research considering environment or particapants values.For every ongoing M&E in the lack of such skills the research should be discontinued .Is the obligation of reseacher to keep updating their skills

• les compétences culturelles et techniques nécessaires pour mener à bien les processus de S&E sont-elles suffisantes?

• If your team don’t have the competency to go digital, send your team for a course and upgrade themselves.

• Course Facilitator

We have to ensure that we have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes if not, we have to decline to run M&E processes that we are not equipped to do well and continually improve our skills.

• Course Facilitator

We have to ensure that we have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes if not, we have to decline to run M&E processes that we are not equipped to do well and continually improve our skills.

• The principle of competence stares that you should only use tools or process when you are confident that you have the skills to use them.

• Course Facilitator

• Issue on cultural skills is very important. If one fails to consider culture in data collection, inaccurate data might collected.

• THE M&E PROFESSIONAL MUST BE WELL TRAINED AND KNOW WHAT TO COLLECT SO AS TO BE COMPETENCE

• Thank God for the skills development programs, orientations and technical assistance activities. People are able to learn how to use new tools that may help produce results in an efficient manner.
    It is also important to take courses that help become better in M&E.

J
    B
    2 Replies
  • At this stage you must ensure that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out the M&E processes. Skills can be technical as well as cultural. Technical skills allow you to use tools and processes correctly. Examples include: Mapping stakeholder needs, Storing data securely, Designing surveys

Cultural skills allow you to work in safe, culturally-appropriate ways with people. Examples include: Language ability, Understanding of local gender dynamics, Understanding local attitudes towards privacy

• COMPETENCE is the expert knowledge in a field of interest. Expertise in a project is essential for quality & succesful deliverables of project objectives

• Competence refers to your ability to do something. In Monitoring and Evaluation it is unethical to get involved in a project you have no ability or small capacity to conduct. What should you do?

1. Ensure that you have cultural and technical skills eg by employing skilled personel
    2. Decline to run projects that you are not equipped for.
    3. Continually improve your skills to increase competence.
  • well, one thing that captured me on the competence ethical principle is the second last point that I should ensure , that I decline to run the M&E process, I think the best way is to ensure that I get support by being equipped with all necessary resources to support the carrying out process by ensuring the team and have the skills to use tools and run out the process, unless otherwise there is mechanism to supported

• Competence means to have required skills to do a certain task. It should be both technical and cultural aspects. If you are not competent, you may decline to do that task or put out your weakness. Inorder to be more competency, you may get courses on areas of your weakness.

• Congratulations.

• In case there is no chance for capacity building you may decline to do the task. If it is not possible, you have explain clearly your weakness.

• The principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently.

• this module on ethical principles is very educative that will improved my technical skills.

• The competence principle states that one should use tools or processes only when it is certain that one has the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently.

• The course think can further ellaborate on dealing with challanging donors when it comes to competence.

• I learn how Ensure that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes.

• I learn how to Ensure that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes, i also learn technical and cultural skills like: The following are the technical skills.
    Cultural skills.
    Language ability,Understanding of local gender dynamics,Understanding local attitudes towards privacy.
    Mapping stakeholder needs,Storing data securely,Designing surveys

• competency requires you to Provide skilled professional services.

• Competence is the key to other principles. Without competence an organization can't adhere in Honesty or Harm no one, since it has no control.

• Competence methods are ensure that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes, decline to run M&E processes that you are not equipped to do well, continually improve your skills (for example, by taking this course).

• cultural skills is the new one for me here. I have never thought about this. This makes a lot of sense especially in heterogeneous societies. It makes sense to draft people who have cultural competence in certain areas to do some M&E jobs.

• competence is very key in m&e. this is actually where stakeholder partnerships become very cardinal, to share resources or even combine them for project success...

• very true. there is a always something new to learn about a new project and target area, and the ditferent technical and cultural skills you may need to reach your outcome...

• Understanding the cultural context of your study area is essential

• Competence; make sure you have the right technical and cultural skills to perform m&e process, if not avoid them completely and stick to what you know, or start and continue building your m&e technical and cultural capacity...

• Do no harm, honesty and competence

• In order to build a standard competence, is it important to challenge one self to learning new things. Skilled professionalism is important when carrying out Monitoring and Evaluation processes because of its technicality.
    Therefore, it is good to continually improve one's skills.

• Cultural skill is something new to me, and this must be involved in the M&E process. Having obtained new insights from Module 1 leads me to an assumption that M&E activity is a complex activity which is not simply about getting data, store it, process it, and present it for specific purposes. Inside of it, there is much to pay attention to ensure that the M&E process is competent, honest, and reliable.

S
    1 Reply
  • Well this is meanly about who's going to do what. is this person or are these people the right group to do this? Very important, Competence!

• Always show competency in collecting data and analyzing . Technical and cultural skills allow you to use tools and processes correctly.

• Skill development and continuing education is vital to ensuring your team has the technical skills to understand and execute M&E processes. This is becoming increasingly difficult to do as funding for training and development is often first to do when budgets are cut.

• competence is a vital principle in Ethics and M&E because helps to provide skilled and professional services also competence improve confidence which will result in obtaining accurate data.
    Also ensure that we have both cultural skills and technical skills

• Cultural and technical skills are very important attributes that M&E teams should possess in order to have a hold on their projects/areas of intervention

• Cultural skills is very important. A research about the area where data is to be collected is very important. Another way of doing this is by consulting the authorities of that area and given ask for an approval from them.

• competence Provide skilled professional services

• excel knowledge
    SPSS

• Ensure that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes.
    You should decline carrying out M& E processes that you're not equipped to do.

• If you and your team carry out M&E processes without the required technical or cultural skills, you might unintentionally cause harm or present data that does not live up to the honesty principle

J
    1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.