Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• that's right! some workers might be good at their jobs but poor in communicating the findings they make. it might be of no use to do a good job and be unable to accurately communicate it with other of the team

• it encompasses all those aspects. it is an embodiment of skill and knowledge. say you have first knowledge on data entry, and lack the skills for data entry, which is speed and accuracy, it becomes somehow bias to say you have the competence of data entry. u must be able to put the knowledge into practice.

• This is interesting. In a situation where one is a consultant whose pay is dependent on his or her work, it becomes tricky to decline an M & E due to a lack of competence.

In the end, we must also uphold our integrity and be honest as that is the only way to ensure responsible conduct of research.

• competency determines the value of your work. it is expected that people with enough skills to perform better than those with little or no skills on a given task. on every M&E system, the people handling the processes need to be skilled.
    there are many advantages of competency and one of which is, you become confident in what you are doing. for example, one who does not have the appropriate skills, weather cultural or technical may not ask the right questions in a right way hence may lose the trust of the interviewee which may result in not get the most out of those responding

• Taking this course alone has opened my eyes and understanding on many things in the M&E process. Continous learning is a key to improving on processes to ensure efficiency and perfection. Using a system or method which one does not have the technical or cultural capability of might not yield the needed result(s). However, having the technical and cultural expertise over the process is key to making best use of the process.

• Competence is one of the most important factor to be considered while collecting data to make inform decisions based on accurate data and avoid mistakes.

• Competence is one of the most important factor to be considered while collecting data to make inform decisions based on accurate data and avoid misktkes.

• Technical as well as cultural skills are very important in implementation of M&E

• This is a must in M&E

G
    1 Reply
  • And if your technical ability does not recognize your cultural skills, then implementation of the project/M&E can fail

• In this principle , you need be equipped to use M&E both technical and cultural skills
    This is very important since any work needs one to have the competence to perform well the duties
    In this case you need to be able to communicate with those that you will be working with (participants)
    They must understand your language and also you must understand their language in order to collect the accurate data. You should also know how use technical skills such as mapping the needs of your stakeholders and many more

• Competence produces dependability.

• The skills that i will need to acquire will be to learn the use of different digital tools and this will be possible if i continue to improve my skills with online courses and consistent practices.

• competence in compiling data is something important. compilation of data is not only collecting data, but you should have skills that allow you to process data correctly and understanding areas that you use to collect data. if you know some methods and you should stick that methods, but you must improve your skills too to make your data that you collected have professional M&E.

• Investing in knowledge is a unique way of gaining and developing one's skill. In line with the principles of do no harm and honesty, M&E officers must be consciously and consistently improve their skills.

• Everything is fine! The course is positive

• In the use of data, professionalism is required. Using the right people for the job is always result oriented than using cheap employees that are inexperienced and incompetent. Using wrong people for the job is always poses challenges along the line in the project.

• competence is really important in data collection, you can consider further continuously improving your skill to get better by taking more courses.

• Competence com in diverse ways.
    We need skilled professional services to bust out the competence we have.

• Digital data collection and storage is now the best because it is very simple, easy and time saving. It's security can be guaranteed. It can be accessed by only authorised personnels and can be accessed at all times and from anywhere provided there is internet. Analysis is faster with digital data.
    The limitations is that it requires digital devices, internet, trained personnels and electricity supply.

• In designing data collection plan, to be competence means having proactive thinking of cultural and technical skills. Culture includes language, norms, values, gender sensitivity and technical skill includes having knowledge on tools and technique usages. Moreover, one must have better understanding on team members confidence and competency before starting data collection.
    Continuously learning is the solution to mitigate knowledge gap and increase competency of the data collection planner as well as the team.

• Competence....Yes, competence, one of the main pillars for the success of a team. A non-competent team is doomed to failure, that is my philosophy.

• Provide skilled professional services.
    There is a vast array of M&E tools available for data collection, management and analysis. After you take this course, you will be ready to use a few of the most basic tools. However, the principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently.

• Invest in learning to continually gain technical and cultural skills which might help prevent hurting others unintentionally and/or getting data that does not uphold integrity

• Competence this will help us to keep in mind that everyday make sure you have learnt a new thing at your work place

• Competence is very importance not only in M& E but in our daily interactions and other obligations as well. Technical and culturally accepted skills is actually importance in collection, analysis and presentation to the shareholders.

• Best practices are align with professional in area of work . so being equip with professionals to do work always provides a positive outcome than rather doing not so. Because when you plan a good crop can you reap a better fruit.

• Competence is a very important tool in data collection and analysis, you have to be technically and culturally skilled to carry out every M&E process. Technical approches such as designing surveys, data security etc most be put in place. As well as cultural approches such as language, place of data assessment most be treated as very important.

• Strengthening staffs' capacity is not only an ethical matter but also a key instrument to properly implement M & E activities as well as adequately measure performance and impact.

• "Competence" this word is very important in M&E. I love the part of postponing the M&E process if we lack the competence, this is self honesty and safes one from trouble, also continually improving ones skills by learning with the entire team really boosts team confidence and helps increase competence.

• Technical and cultural skills is paramount to a successful data collection for a good monitoring and evaluation project. competence through added knowledge and learning how to deploy new tools to carry out processes is ke

• Improving ones skill by engaging in further learning is one way to stay on track in M&E

• Competence is one of the most needed things to collect data.

• COMPETENCE
    This is another virtue of ethics.
    It clearly highlights the use of personnel with skilled professional qualifications.
    It teaches us that one should use tools or processes where they are confident they have both the technical and cultural skills on them.

TECHNICAL SKILLS
    Examples.
    -mapping stakeholders needs
    -storing data securely
    -designing surveys

CULTURAL SKILLS
    -language ability
    -understanding of local gender dynamics
    -understanding local attitudes towards privacy

• competence is skill or is way you can collect data from beneficiary to you to understanding of culture and technical you used

• Make sure to provide skilled professional services and to continue improving my skills and that of the team by encouraging each other to learn more

• If the M&E team is incompetent, there is a high probability for their service to be ineffective, inefficient, useless, and damaging.

• The principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills to use them competently.

• You can continually improve your M&E skills and your team’s confidence by investing in learning.

• You just have to keep learning for better performance

• The competent principle also demands that you should decline to run M&E processes that you are not equipped to do well

• Do not pretend to know it all. Learn to accept your limitations. Learn more to improve

• Competent people are always confident about what they do.

• Competence is very important in the Era of technology requirements and the mentality of humans is changing in the context of modernity.

• The most crucial part of M&E without which no work will be accomplished

• I strongly agreed to this principle 'Competence'. there will be inaccurate data collection when a personnel is not skilled technically or culturally. hence there is need for continuous improvement of skills

• this is nice and i get to know that when you can not manage a certain M&E process you can decline it or discuss your limitations in this way mistakes are avoided and chances of learning new ideas and processes are high

• The key fundamentals issues with regards to competence are well articulated and explained for deeper understanding.

• SO GOOD POSSESSING BOTH TECHNICAL AND CULTURAL SKILLS FOR M&E PROCESSES. AND IT WILL BECOME CUMBERSOME PROJECT TO THOSE INITIATING PROJECT WITH NO TECNICAL AND CULTURAL SKILLS, FOR INSTANCE, IT WILL NOT BE GOOD WHEN CONDUCTING THE EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY WHEN THERE IS A NEED OF EPIDEMIOLOGICA DATA WHICH IS A MAP FOR LOCATING WELL WHERE THERE IS HIGH OR LOW INCIDENCE RATE FOR A CERTAIN INFECTION FOR CERTAIN AREA OR REGION WHILE IN THE TEAM CONDUCTING THE WORK NO ONE OF IT IS ABLE TO USE WHAT IS CALLED GPS AS TOOL. FOR THIS POINT THE THECHNICAL SKILLS ARE SO IMPORTANT.

• Competence, technical & cultural skills, is paramount in M&E. Any new M&E process can be adopted if only equipped with adequate skills. In M&E, continuously learning to grow professionally should be systematic.

• I would ensure that team carry out M&E processes with the required technical or cultural skills by choosing a team that has at least one person who would be able to speak different languages, who can use the digital tools that may be required and if it's not possible i would be very clear with all stakeholders about the limitations of my data collection process. I would continue to upgrade my team gaining knowledge about the M&E process by taking courses that covers our line of work.

• I have learnt M&E is an area of practice that requires continuous learning, you will only become competent if you are willing to invest time to learn and be patient with yourself. Personally, i want to hone my skills bit by bit until i get to run successful M&E processes with ease and high professionalism. M&E is a marathon, not a splint so patience and being inquisitive is a key requirements.

• This is very important because we get to learn new ways of doing M&E especially now with the increased use of technology

• I fully agree to upskilling one self to be able to be competent, at some point I was not comfortable to do some duties as I lacked knowledge and information. I am sure that doing this course will also add more information and assist me to do better and be confident.

• When the principle of competence is not applied in an M&E activity, everything is bound to go wrong. This is because the success of the program is largely dependent on the personnel. If the personnel lacks the necessary data collection skills which brings into cognisance the cultural consideration, as well as the analytical skills, then the campaign is already a failed one. This module has really openedy eyes.

• Competence is very critical. The quality of M&E work largely depends on the competence of the team, from tools designers to field data collectors, data processors, analyzers and presenters.

• Competency is one this that is required in M&E, this is a skill required sector since it involves several areas that require focus and decision making. So having a staff that is competent and can able understand what is doing is very essential for a good product of work.

• I have learnt so many quality things from the curse already for example the cultural and technical skill set needed by M&E workers

• The competence practices with data collection planning and resource management, involves the following: defining the problem that needs to be solved; identifying data sources, and creating a data collection plan and setting goals; and developing a plan for curating and managing collected data

• Do not rush to implement or use a system that you are not aware of. Always reflect or analyze your experience and technical knowledge before starting to use a new process. Every organization must adopt a system if they fully understand and has experience using it, you need to have experts of that system who has both cultural and technical understanding of the system, declining to use systems which you are not familiar with, to be ambitious is good but avoid being overambitious tell the truth if you don't have the knowledge of the new system.

• ensure that you are competence, understand the M&E activity at hand and be able to interpret correctly the data collection tool and capture correctly on the system

also understanding the participants or your target group i.e, for Adolescent girls and young women programme that focuses on ages 15-24 they are using Basic mobile phones? Feature phones? Smart phone Computers?
    even Email? SMS? use these as data collection and data gathering tools since they are most familiar with technology, they will be bored with paper based tools

• Use tools and processes that you are confident in and that your team has the necessary technical and cultutal skills to use

• Use tools and processes that you are confident in and that your team has the necessary technical and cultutal skills to use

• Competence is key. working with a competent team saves time, resources and produces quality results. it is important to always upgrade ourselves to equip ourselves with multiple skills in data collection and management.

W
    1 Reply
  • I think the organization should ensure that the M&E team is continually competent by availing refresher trainings on latest techniques for instance latest Data collection, management software.

• In M&E, learning never stops and this also contributes to competence. However, it would be good to do annual competency checks for the team at the start of each financial year. I have seen this work for a particular team I was a part of.

• It is refreshing to see that the value of competence also focuses on cultural competency, often times when working with local groups interventions including M & E are oblivious to community norms. Therefore, a suggestions will be to do proper research and work with community participants instead for opting for spontaneous M & E

• Monitoring and Evaluation team should continually study to sharpen skills. Hiring a qualified team or a eager to learn team is very important because this promotes competence.

Be honest when you are not aware of anything.
    Be welling to grow, by acquiring relevant skills.

• this module teaches me that sometimes you have to say no to your limits

• Competence determine how successful a project will be. The need to ensure that your team is competent enough can not be overemphasized

• To a competence person, one should take their learning very seriously , so this is the reason why I'm taking this course very important.

• True, competence is needed as a set of skills to consider as a field Volunteer in the Humanitarian sector.
    Even if you very carefully study your target audience, there will most likely be issues that you do not anticipate. Here are a few examples:

Researchers of nomadic or transitory populations have had to abandon questions about “address” or “place of residence.”
    Researchers in the Caribbean planned on collecting names and dates of birth to identify individuals. However, they found that many individuals did not know their exact date of birth and, due to low literacy levels, did not always spell their names the same way. So, they decided to add a question to help identify individuals: what is the name of your mother?
    Social pressure or politeness can lead different groups of people to report incorrect data to common questions.

• True, competence is needed as a set of skills to consider as a field Volunteer in the Humanitarian sector.
    Even if you very carefully study your target audience, there will most likely be issues that you do not anticipate. Here are a few examples:

Researchers of nomadic or transitory populations have had to abandon questions about “address” or “place of residence.”
    Researchers in the Caribbean planned on collecting names and dates of birth to identify individuals. However, they found that many individuals did not know their exact date of birth and, due to low literacy levels, did not always spell their names the same way. So, they decided to add a question to help identify individuals: what is the name of your mother?
    Social pressure or politeness can lead different groups of people to report incorrect data to common questions.

• Competence in engaging in an M&E process takes willingness to learn and time to practice. The openness to learn is an essential aspect of becoming competent in the M&E process because it is an attitude important to understanding the concepts and being accommodating to different varieties of skills and methods to apply concepts. Apparently, the learning of concepts and its relevance to the M&E process would be difficult to visualise unless applied. Having the time to practice or apply the skills to practical situations, enhances the learning and competence to employ an M&E process. All in all, a willingness to gain knowledge and put this into practice are necessary to be competent in doing M&E.

F
    1 Reply
  • without competence, we can do anything in monitoring and evaluation

• yes, that' s true

• To be competent you need skills, without necessary skills to do something, it is better to avoid it.

• Lack of competence can lead to data entry errors hence the need for improved learning.

• Competence and timely are very importance for the M&E system

• Besides of the technical skills, the cultural skills are very important for M&E, especially the data collection in specific areas with sensitive cultures. Therefore, the data collection tools have to be designed well ass well as the data collectors' confident cultural skills in order to ensure we receive accurate data.

• Besides of the technical skills, the cultural skills are very important for M&E, especially the data collection in specific areas with sensitive cultures. Therefore, the data collection tools have to be designed well ass well as the data collectors' confident cultural skills in order to ensure we receive accurate data.

• Competence is ensuring the capability of M and E personel in collecting honestly data and do no harm in the processprocess, by ensuring that they have all the knowledge and technically capability to collect accurate data

• In this very fast chaining times, it is important to always update your skills. Today's up-to-date skills may be obsolete by dawn of tomorrow.

• To be competent you need skills, without necessary skills to do something, it is better to avoid it.

• I do agree that we need to understand very well how to use technical skills before implementing them; however, I do consider that it is important to try. Maybe, a good way to do so, is with a pilot/practice exercise to implement it. I do consider that cultural skills could be even more tricky, and it is important to understand it deeply and be informed before reaching out to a certain community/beneficiares.

• As you take this introductory M&E course, you may be introduced to new processes and tools. You may be tempted to rush out and try these exciting new ideas right away. We encourage you to pause and reflect before you do so. Does your team have the skills required to carry out this new process?

• As you take this introductory M&E course, you may be introduced to new processes and tools. You may be tempted to rush out and try these exciting new ideas right away. We encourage you to pause and reflect before you do so. Does your team have the skills required to carry out this new process?

• Some of this information

• Do no harm
    Honesty
    Competence

• Do no harm
    Honesty
    Competence

• I do agree that we need to understand very well how to use technical skills before implementing them; however, I do consider that it is important to try. Maybe, a good way to do so, is with a pilot/practice exercise to implement it. I do consider that cultural skills could be even more tricky, and it is important to understand it deeply and be informed before reaching out to a certain community/beneficiares.

• Continuous learning is the only way to guarantee competence development.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.