Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Understanding the cultural dynamics and having the technical skills to carry out M&E process is very important. If we do not understand the culture, do not speak the language, are not aware of the gender dynamics or if we do not know how to deliver to stakeholders' needs, how to archive the data properly or how to design the surveys, in the end we will damage the program, we might damage the safety or the dignity of the beneficiaries, moreover we will not be able to deliver what we promised to the our donors. We need to know what we can do and if we are not ready to take the task, we should inform the donor. Finally we have to continuously educate ourselves and improve our skills to do the work accurately and properly.

• M&E professional should have skills and competent enough in M & E tools for data collection including Theory of Change,Logical Framework (Logframe),
    Monitoring and Evaluation Plan,Statistics – Open Datasets, System Data, Surveys, Interviews and Focus Groups discussion together with other M &E tools for data collection, Management and Analysis.

• In summary, the Competence Principle is about "providing quality professional services":

• having the technical and cultural competencies to do so;
    • ensuring that one is sufficiently equipped to carry out an M&E process;
    • Continue to invest in learning to improve these skills.
  • Language and cultural barriers are actually some of the most realistic limitations in data collection at strange places. More information and relevant learning strategies should be contributed to these limitations.

• in as much as there are several M&E tools and processes of data collection, management and annalysis, the principle of competence however, states that you should only use these tools and processes when you are confident that you the skills both technical and cultural to use them competently.
    Decline to run any M&E process that your not equipped to do well. this means that if your team dont have the skills to a run method decline it and stick to the one your understand

• An individual who is skilled in both technical and cultural aspect is really competent. we must make sure that when handling M&E processes, we are double sure of what we really want to do. otherwise lets invest more in learning new skills.

• The principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills and this can be done by ensuring that you have the cultural and technical skills to carry out M&E processes, decline to run M&E processes that you are not equipped to do well and continually improve your skills.

• A well designed system should be implemented.
    This system should be a link between the org it self and the customers with the stakeholders and maybe the suppliers.
    It should provide information to the user with a big view

• key to competency is improving your skills

• improving on your skill cannot be over emphasized. very key to making progress.

• Great information.

• Continually improving technical and cultural skills of M&E team to build competence is very good counsel.

• Less qualified individual are engaged in M and E due to weak and porous recruitment process. There is a need to be strict to the right standard so to have the best findings as possible

1 Reply
  • The competence principle is a tricky one to navigate given the nature of the areas some of us operate in. However, this can be made as easy as "ABC" if we totally agree and engage the honesty principle wholly.

• competence is ability and capacity of understanding, doing works , leading and skill knowledge in any experiences to pursue goals

• Culturally and technical skills is required during the implementation of M&E activities

• My take from this session is that a researcher should limit himself/herself to areas to best understand on what is required and how to handled issues involved.

• competence demand the social, cultural and technical skills to collect, sort, organized and analyze the data. If you don't have the required skills, focus on continuous improvement, otherwise, decline the process or shift it to somebody else.

• Competence in practice is important. I most say that it takes one being hones to oneself to actually admit that one is not competent in a field.

• Ensure that you have enough technical skills and culturally to carry out M&E process

• Having good knowledge of the task to carry out gives the first hand impression of how successful the activity will be carry out. Therefore, competencies in data collection is very vital in ensuring quality data.

• We must always seek to ensure that we are competent in handling M&E processes. Continuous, constant learning will help us achieve this.

Learning should never end. As processes are improved on, we must seek to catch up in knowledge and ensure there are no gaps.

• Competence involves confidence that the team can use M&E tools and able to understand the cultures of the community.

• Communication skills is needed , analytical and research skills and interpersonal abilities

The best way is to plan ahead, no to copy from others

• Competence is being both culturally and technically equipped.

• this theme/subject is so essential and indispensable for every M&E professional

• Without competence will never be aware of using the data for intended purpose

• Competence is a good principle that as a professional M & E should exhibit because it also tells how honest you are.
    This will even reflect in you data collection likewise you data presentation.

• The principle of competence is that use tools and process you are confident you have the skills, be professional in your dealing and handling of data

• Competency require the staff to have both cultural and technical skills to use tools and processes of M&E.

• Every personnel should master the respective skills.

• Having competent staff is very important to the data quality and also during data collection for interaction with the participants this will clearly show value for money and ensure the intended study targets are obtained

• Being competitive needs good provision of skilled professional services. It is highly advisable that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently. And if If you and your team carry out M&E processes without the required technical or cultural skills, you might unintentionally cause harm or present data that does not live up to the honesty principle.
    Further, Cultural skills allow you to work in safe, culturally-appropriate ways with people.

E
    1 Reply
  • For instance,a Kabila Health Non-organization Group was using the manual ways of entering data gathered from the sexual infections and water-borne diseases in terms of the number of infected,number of tests conducted,comments of the tested participants,e.t.c.Later on,manual use turned to be digital and the lowered mistakes and biases before arose rapidly because of the staffs' misunderstanding and knowledge on how to use the digital devices efficiently.
    Then,this team tried to give predicted results and hide collected data that is to reach its partners so as to discuss and resolve problems found in the sorroundings.
    Last but not least,the team was found red handed,fraud and guilty before many.

• Am enjoying what am learning so far

But it seems that it is not as easy as I thought

E
    1 Reply
  • the principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills to use them competently. If you doubt yourself make sure you should not use the process otherwise everything can be distorted

• Lol... M&E is enjoyable but it needs dedication

• Completily agreed that skills and competence are very important keys before to decide running M&E process !!!

• Organizational competence must be reflective of the individual competencies of workers.

• Are there standardised competencies required for M&E?

M
    1 Reply
  • I need to acquire Technical and cultural skills, so that I will be able to use tools and processes correctly. I can best do this by improving my skills, by studying courses that will improve my knowledge.

• i think that declining an M&E process because im not confident i can do well; is up for debate for me
    research and discuss the process with the team and learn while doing it
    and if problems arise, then ask for assistance or direction
    otherwise ill be stuck with my same old processes

• One trend that is highlighted in M&E work is understanding your limitations and not continuing with work when you don't have the competence or resources to complete it well and carefully as it can potentially harm participants or the accuracy of the data being collected. In other fields, I'd say it is encouraged to go past your limitations; that is how you learn from mistakes. However, with M&E, you should take a step back and reflect on what you learned, understand areas that you can improve on and seek out said courses that can improve your/your teams confidence, and that you should express when you have limitations instead of "winging-it", maybe even decline the project all together. I like how there is even a cultural level of understanding that you need to have to carry out M&E processes, and how it is highlighted in this module, not just technical skills when it comes to competence. It further shows how data collection has real-world consequences, since you are collecting data from real people. It should be met and handled with a level of respect, transparency, and skill.

• Competency is key in team performance. A competent M&E team could be able to meet its M&E objectives.

1 Reply
  • ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CULTURAL AND TECHNICAL SKILLS TO
    I am reminded of AFRICA CENTER an NGO that was combating the epidemic of HIV and AIDS. If I remember very well, AFRICA CENTRE was established and came to Mtubatuba in the year 2006.

This NGO employed local youth to do HIV testing and education to bring awareness of the dangers of HIV AND AIDS. The youth received good salaries and poverty was something of the past.

AFRICA CENTER young workers were known by their rough and bad mannered to the houses around Mtubatuba and its surroundings. The rich culture of Mtubatuba was compromised as a result adults refused HIV testing saying that AFRICA CENTER workers have no sense of respect. So the data collected was incomplete because the statistics did not include the elderly or it included less of the adults.

DECLINE TO RUN M&E PROCESSES THAT YOU ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO DO WELL
    As a data capturer for 5 years, I have seen that the reporting that I use to report with daily has indicators that are not used. This is because the donors are looking for information that we don't have. I am working for TBHIVCARE and the reporting tool that we use is changed on numerous occasions and new indicators are introduced and we do not have information for such.

CONTINUALLY IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS (FOR EXAMPLE BY TAKING THIS CAUSE)
    I have obseved that data needs to be discussed. I am getting a lot of knowledge in the discussion section. The planning for M&E cause has empowered me with LogFrames, Reporting tools etc and a wider knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation. With cause I am going to grab all the skills that it offers.

• I've just learnt that clarity should be given to the stakeholders on your data collection limitations. Brillliant!

• Need to improve technical skills, the best way to do it is to invest in learning.

• Being competitive needs good provision of skilled professional services. The principle of competence has proven that a researcher should limit himself/herself to areas to best understand on what is required and how to handled issues involved.

• Competence as an ethical principle states that you should only use processes and tools in data collection when you are confident that you have skills to use them competently.
    To be competent means that you have both cultural and technical skills to carry out M& E processes.
    You should also be in a position to decline to run M&E processes that you are not equipped to do well.

• Stakeholders are very important in a study because most of the time participants trust them as they are part of the community, making good relationship with stakeholders can have a huge impact in a study to be successful.

• To collect accurate data,you should ensure that you use tools and processes that you are well equipped with

• To be competent during data collection,you must have both technical and cultural skills
    You should only use tools and processes when you have confident that you have skills to use them competently
    You should also be able to decline to run M&E processes that you are not equipped to do well

• Competence plays a major role in obtaining and managing quality and accurate data.

• The issue of understanding culture of the beneficiaries is very vital more especially during data collection. For you to collect reliable and tangible data local dynamics needs to be understood.

• I personally think that it's also important to your data collectors as an institution in order to build a better communication capacity and competnce

2 Replies
  • Competence principle of M&E comes about when a project is confident or has skills in working with a particular tool it possesses.

• to collect the accurate need effort , knowledge and patience so competence is the mother of those skills ...

• Thank you very much for this topic about the competence. I liked very much the paragraph that states that it may not always be possible to decline to run certain M&E processes. Just to highlight the limitations of your data collection process will solve the problem.

• this module requires locally recruited people within the field areas to help translate to the local communities to achieve accuracy in data collection

• Competence, the ability to do what is needed to be done. Many are the times I have pitted myself in areas that I have not an inkling and wade my way out. However, that works in a supervised environs, otherwise you get hurt and may cause a lot of untold damage in the effort to do good.

I certainly have, sverally. I have since learned developing compentencies counts for tonnes and should never be taken lightly. I still have my adventuous nature about me, but ensure there is always someone to bring things under control if need be. I guess that is also aother reason I am taking this course.

• Part of the challenge has to doing with the fact the recruiting party are not aware of what is entailed in the M&E role. They have no idea what they are looking for so almost anything is good enough. If it shines then it must be good, kinda thinking. Best we can do is show case our compentencies to single out the quacks

• Communication is central to so many things. Work, relations, name it.. communication will have a part to play in keeping it going. We should also be aware that communication as well is not exempt from competency. It too, is vital herein.

• Sure, and meet those objectives competently as well.

• It is important to use tools and processes which you are confident that you have the competent skills in. The M& E team should have cultural and technical skills to carry out all the processes. To ensure the honest principle is adhered to its important to decline to run processes that you are not equipped to do.

• Competence is an important ethical principle in the M&E processes.

• Alright, I see the importance of the ethical principle - Competency.

• in this module we see how well you should be versed with the honesty principle since it provides decline to run M&E processes that your not equipped to do well.
    also ensuring that you have cultural and technical skills to carryout M&E processes.

• in this principle we see how you should ensure that you have a cultural and technical skills.
    honesty is key in this principle too since your required to decline the M&E processes your not well equipped with.

• What it could be if we prefer in upgrading skills for the M&E team, instead of declining the process

• Competencies can be enhanced through preplanned skill trainings and orientations to the implementing team and participants.

• the principle of competence states that you should only use tools or processes when you are confident that you have the skills (both cultural and technical) to use them competently.

• Having a group of competent individuals is key in handling the data collection, handling and processing in ensuring accurate results are provided. Understanding the cultural dynamics like local gender dynamics, local attitudes towards privacy and language abilities are key. Accurate data storage and survey designs while mapping stakeholders needs are key.

• En ayant les compétences qu'il faut pour une tâche. l'adaptation aux aléas du métier sera possible.

• Competency is very crucial for one to succeed in the field of M and E. One is supposed to have valuable skills such as use of digital data collection tools, and also develop new skills that will help him or her succeed in the field.

• Provide skilled professional services

• What we learnt through this chapter of M&E process went under the concept of evaluating the team itself during a data collection process, it all starts or could last in a professional way unless the team is aware of the level of competence which has to reach.
    that means the team needs to assess his skills in terms of technical & cultural abilities .
    Moreover, by auto-evaluating the used tools and its efficiency and by following the ethical concepts, the data collection would be beneficial and could deliver the expected results which lead to take the right decision.

• What we learnt through this chapter of M&E process went under the concept of evaluating the team itself during a data collection process, it all starts or could last in a professional way unless the team is aware of the level of competence which has to reach.
    that means the team needs to assess his skills in terms of technical & cultural abilities .
    Moreover, by auto-evaluating the used tools and its efficiency and by following the ethical concepts, the data collection would be beneficial and could deliver the expected results which lead to take the right decision.

• i have learnt that it is important to increase knowledge so as to improve your skills and where necessary do not carryout M and E activities if not skills are available

• In the competency part of this module, I have learned that we can successfully conduct M&E processes if and only if we have required skills to use the M&E tools. The key factor here to consider is that the M&E team should possess both cultural and technical skills to use the processes or tools, where by if the team don't have the M&E tools it is advised to decline the M&E process.

In addition, the team can choose to learn more about the use the processes before commencement to tackle an M&E tool.

• Regularly updating skills of a project's team is crucial to ensure that the project meets the standards required by donors

• being capable and competent with technical skills and other methods of analysis

• Competence: Is the potential a person or individual has to conduct or demostrate ability of doing well expected tasks or assign roles and responsibities. It can be capacity of perfection in listening, reading, speaking and writing required languages. The means of passing messages or communication to the next persons in different form orally.

• Organizations should keep developing the capacity to avoid breaking this principle.

• Nice question, but did you find any answer to this because I would like to know too.

• I will need to develop my skills in software such STATA, SPSS....

• M&E officers are required to have the skills to revise M&E systems to accommodate contextual. These skills are hard to come by. They require an in-depth knowledge of M&E systems, an understanding of the context and of the sector in which you are working. M&E systems, which are often adapted, must remain meaningful to the project. An M&E Officer must know what elements of the system should and should not change to accommodate shifts.

• Principle of competence really requiers cultural and technical skills to map stakeholders needs and understand local gender dynamics and attitudes towards privacy. Improving our and our teams´ skills with new tools and techniques will equip them to run new M&E processes to perform well. And aquire and gain findings that might be donors, stakeholders and local communities' interests and needs.

• Competence is an essential element for the systematic collection of data; however, people who are not competent can be trained to a sufficient level.

Competence is a practical intelligence on the situation which is based on acquired knowledge, and that he transforms them with all the more force that the situation allows him a certain autonomy

• Competence is an essential element for the systematic collection of data; however, people who are not competent can be trained to a sufficient level.

Competence is a practical intelligence on the situation which is based on acquired knowledge, and that he transforms them with all the more force that the situation allows him a certain autonomy

• Skills are very key for a good M&E work.

• I think competence is among the best key to convince people that you are capable of doing what you are doing and also helps you increasing or find a way to increase your potential

• With the notes on competences; I can conclude that competency may not now only mean areas that you are best able in. Competency should also include to greater extend your honesty on areas of limitations. which will open opportunity to those who are of expertise in that particular area of your weakness, and fill the gap. Thus achieving Total competency as the group or the team. And reduce failure that would otherwise be caused by the blind weaknesses your group.

• Competence in M&E means the ability to provide skilled professional services both technical and cultural.

this can be done through the following;
    invest in learning through taking on different courses of M&E so that you gain more skills
    decline to M&E process you are not competent to do until you gain the required skills
    ensure technical and cultural skills in doing M&E processes

• There are several tools for gathering data and the application of each depends on a number of factors including the objective of the data gathering and the type of objects/participants. It is important that we use the relevant tool for the right data gathering/collection. We should also refrain from using tools we are not confident and have full knowledge on. Otherwise, we will collect data that cannot fit the objectives and purpose of gathering the data

• competence is the only way as it has been stated, I have been a great believer of working with the tools which am best conversant with.
    if you don't know how its done seek for help or look for professional who will do it instead of assuming that you know it . this will result to good quality data collection & management exercise.

• IAM RACH, M&E ASSISTANT UNDER AN NGO.
    Well competence contains technical and professional skills that one must have to call out data collection prosses and use of tools in field. A n M&E should ensure that his/her staff under gone trainings on processes and tools to apply in an area/spot where data is collected. incase the tools is familiar of the procedure is not applicable in a certain area M&E should present these issues for an immediate response on away forward in order to achieve or meet their goal.
    An individual can pursue a course so that he/she gains skills and doing some learnings to be experienced to perform.

However, honesty goes hand in hand with competence since honesty can abused when there is a lack for competence.
    THANK YOU.

• can competence mean the qualifications the skills or the technical knowhow that you have?

1 Reply
  • it is very important to take into account competence in M&E system. this will eliminate allot of inconsistencies in the data such as incomplete or missing data. Most often we find cases of persons who do not understand the use of the data entry tools they have been asked to use. this is most likely the case of participatory approach data collection methods where some or all of the field workers belong to the target population. it often requires a lot of training to bring them up to speed. however, the team should be flexible enough to do replacements in other to reduce the faults in the data.
    It is very important to evaluate the team's competence

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.