Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• In this Module, I've been able to understand that your team is as important as the funding. If you have a good funding but a bad team, it's not gonna work out fine.
    Also, culture is important as we need to set/create a culture within our organization and set achievable values, visions and goals and as well work towards achieving them.

P
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@SandraDK said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Hello.
    I have learnt that deciding together and sharing values with others is a way to make the organization becoming a family. And acting as a family with the same goal is the best way to achieve it faster and easily, and to improve ourselves through a common culture.

@SandraDK thanks for sharing your thoughts! Though, what is the culture like in your organizations? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here with us?

• Course Facilitator

@FilsBrille26 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

@Course_Operations said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Respond to this prompt after completing the content in Module 1

What was the most surprising new insight you gained about culture and values after completing Module 1?

After you contribute, make sure to browse what others have shared and leave a comment if you are inspired or intrigued. Feel free to simply ask questions to learn more as well.

It is a great privilege being part of this great opportunity as this module has widened my horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workforce.

@FilsBrille26 thanks for sharing your thoughts! Though, what is the culture like at your distinct organizations? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here with us?

Can you also explain what you mean by "has widen your horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workforce in respect to your organization?

F
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

What was the most surprising new insight you gained about culture and values after completing Module 1?

After you contribute, make sure to browse what others have shared and leave a comment if you are inspired or intrigued. Feel free to simply ask questions to learn more as well.

Getting like-minded people in my area is somehow difficult. (I stays in one of the rural areas in Southwestern Nigeria in Africa). Also the people here are not encouraging at all on my organization's mission. What can I do to let the people see the positive aspect of my mission?

@FilsBrille26, can you share with us what type of organization is that and what are your cultural values in the organization? With your response to this, will help us proffer pragmatic way out to overcoming your challenges OK.

• Course Facilitator

@HEYBEE04 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

@HEYBEE04 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Thanks to all..., can we make a team?

Which country are you from sir?

Proudly Nigeria

Hi @HEYBEE04, you can join one through this link https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:Acumen+HumanCapital_101+7_1.22_20190520_20190630/teams/browse_teams/

Happy learning!!!

• Course Facilitator

@Oladseg said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

In this Module, I've been able to understand that your team is as important as the funding. If you have a good funding but a bad team, it's not gonna work out fine.
    Also, culture is important as we need to set/create a culture within our organization and set achievable values, visions and goals and as well work towards achieving them.

@Oladseg, thanks for sharing your thoughts so far. Though, in this your ideal organization, what are some of these cultural values do you think/feel your organization need to create/set or is already in inexistence to help/ already helping your organization to achieve her visions or goals?

• For me, actually narrowing down our values in way that aligns with your team and mission help in understanding who is a good fit to work with you or who is not. Key thing is making sure a potential new team member or even current team members embody the same values in your organization. In too many cases some people just aren't a good fit and create conflict that impacts the organization in a bad way.

P
    1 Reply
  • Have learnt a lot about the course on how one is bring in the team work for the best perspective of all the organisation and how to delegate the subordinates well
    Thanks

• I learnt that creating a visualization is actually easy.

• We have done quite a lot of work on establishing our mission and guiding principles and values for our work, but we actually have never connected them to the culture in the organization. It was an interesting to see that both of them need to correlate for the organization to be honest and authentic.

• @pauldanson said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

It is a great privilege being part of this great opportunity as this module has widened my horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workforce.

@FilsBrille26 thanks for sharing your thoughts! Though, what is the culture like at your distinct organizations? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here with us?

Can you also explain what you mean by "has widen your horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workforce in respect to your organization?

Let me start by giving response to the second statement.
    "What I meant by 'widening my horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workshop', I really mean to say the type of people who work with me in my organization in order to achieve my goals and mission. bringing in people as part of an organization needs to be look into critically in order to get the best and right people for the job and as well those who are a bit divers can be trained and blend into a better coworker or co-founder.
    Initially, I felt the founder of an organization is only eligible to the vision and mission of the organization. I felt the vision and mission is to actualized by only the founder thereby sidelining other members of the organization.
    With what I had learnt in this module my perspective has changed.

To the first question which is the culture of my organization.

1. Educating parents on the importance of western education
    2. Bringing to the knowledge of junior secondary students the importance of all subjects as some students sideline some certain subjects
    3. Internalization of local language without the lost of the international languages
    P
    1 Reply
  • @Course_Operations
    This module has taught me a lot about human resources s key player to effective organisational success.
    Thanks so much, I can't wait to learn more from module 2.

• Course Facilitator

@JoshBagley said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

For me, actually narrowing down our values in way that aligns with your team and mission help in understanding who is a good fit to work with you or who is not. Key thing is making sure a potential new team member or even current team members embody the same values in your organization. In too many cases some people just aren't a good fit and create conflict that impacts the organization in a bad way.

@JoshBagley, thank you for sharing of the value in your organization with us. You have stressed a unique point of some attitude towards achieving cultural value.

• Course Facilitator

@DoclorrysinclaireSakala @Gracie234 @monika56ac @AlabaSundayPhillipsSC, thanks for sharing your thoughts! Though, we like to know what the culture is like at your distinct organizations? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here with us further too?

• Course Facilitator

@pauldanson said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Let me start by giving response to the second statement.
    "What I meant by 'widening my horizon in the aspect of human partnership and workshop', I really mean to say the type of people who work with me in my organization in order to achieve my goals and mission. bringing in people as part of an organization needs to be look into critically in order to get the best and right people for the job and as well those who are a bit divers can be trained and blend into a better coworker or co-founder.
    Initially, I felt the founder of an organization is only eligible to the vision and mission of the organization. I felt the vision and mission is to actualized by only the founder thereby sidelining other members of the organization.
    With what I had learnt in this module my perspective has changed.

To the first question which is the culture of my organization.

1. Educating parents on the importance of western education
    2. Bringing to the knowledge of junior secondary students the importance of all subjects as some students sideline some certain subjects
    3. Internalization of local language without the lost of the international languages

Great @FilsBrille26, well explained. Impressive cultural value practises your organization exhibits.

Thank you for sharing.

• Hello,
    I am Bushra Rana from Pakistan and I am glad I have chosen this course as I feel already enriched and inspired.

The most surprising thing I have kept in mind is the fact of getting the feedback of those who would leave our organization, thing that neither me nor my organization have done before. As long as the values and mission are concerned, I believe the values are the pavement that leads us toward the materialization of our mission hence the importance of choosing them very accurately and carefully and taking due time to do so.

Bushra Rana
    Motivational Speaker

P
    1 Reply
  • Values are cultural and context specific. But for nonprofits, the values might differ in words but some cry the same meaning. Nonprofits are established to change the lives of the affected communities and groups. That desire should at all times be driven by passion. We should also keep recognisance of the fact that other have worked in the communities where they want to operate and have folded up. Thus there must be trust and honesty in all what we intend to do.

• Course Facilitator

@bushrarana777 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Hello,
    I am Bushra Rana from Pakistan and I am glad I have chosen this course as I feel already enriched and inspired.

The most surprising thing I have kept in mind is the fact of getting the feedback of those who would leave our organization, thing that neither me nor my organization have done before. As long as the values and mission are concerned, I believe the values are the pavement that leads us toward the materialization of our mission hence the importance of choosing them very accurately and carefully and taking due time to do so.

Bushra Rana
    Motivational Speaker

Hi @bushrarana777, thanks for sharing your thoughts! What is the culture like at your organization? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here?”.

• I discovered just how well our company operations are aligned to our core values and mission

• I learnt that for an Organization to achieve success, their values must be in line with their mission .

• Hi I am Peric and this course has greatly enriched my understanding of creating an organization or a business. I have made key marks to the fact that the mission and vision of the organization is the preliminary road map of any organization and the values we use to make the foundation are the ones that will convert our ideas and vision into success.
    I can't wait to keep learning more .

• Course Facilitator

Hi @Odede and @emekapaul, thanks for sharing your thoughts! What is the culture like at your organization? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here?”.

• @Course_Operations said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

The most surprising thing I learned in Module 1 was how to brainstorm a core value.

• I am thrilled by the knowledge of how I can connect the organisational mission with its values for social change

• I have learned a lot that culture can really shape the organization. it all depends on how the organization lives the value that they have created for its success. Culture demonstrate to the public that, this is “the way things are done around here”—is often beneficial to organizations. Culture reinforces itself- it is the Organization DNA

• I have learned that there is a connection between the vision,mission and objectives of an organisation and in order to achieve the mission there are values that an individual need to embody.

• Course Facilitator

Hi,
    @alubarika @MichaelKusinu @Bertha and @MaletsikaHaneseMotsokotsi, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Pls, we want to know these two of you.
    1- What is the culture like at your organization?
    2- Do you have best practices you’d like to share here that is obtainable in your organization?”.

Thanks and happy learning week ahead!!!

M
    1 Reply

Hi,
    @alubarika @MichaelKusinu @Bertha and @MaletsikaHaneseMotsokotsi, thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    2- Do you have best practices you’d like to share here that is obtainable in your organization?”.

We have a culture of continual never ending self improvement drive. We believe every team member must LEARN, UNLEARN and RELEARN. As older team members develop themselves they get involved in training new ones while.
    Our best practices includes honoring customers/target audience. We endeavor to treat them the best way we can since we are operating only because of them!

P
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@MichaelKusinu said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Hi,

We have a culture of continual never ending self improvement drive. We believe every team member must LEARN, UNLEARN and RELEARN. As older team members develop themselves they get involved in training new ones while.
    Our best practices includes honoring customers/target audience. We endeavor to treat them the best way we can since we are operating only because of them!

@MichaelKusinu, wholesome culture and best practices to compliment it.
    Keep it up at all levels of the organization management.

Thank you for sharing with us all! 👏👏

• The most surprising thing for me to learn was that your org values should not just be the ones that you and the team holds close at the moment but it should be a good balance of what you aspire towards as well.

P
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@nehaljadon said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

The most surprising thing for me to learn was that your org values should not just be the ones that you and the team holds close at the moment but it should be a good balance of what you aspire towards as well.

Hi, @nehaljadon , thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Please kindly respond swiftly.

Thanks and happy learning week!!!

• Module 1 of this course has broadened my knowledge of the importance developing mission and their corresponding values. Both the mission and values are what makes an organization to be able to achieve its goals, and the calibre of team members you bring on board to realize the dream.

• aby_T said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

All organization should have a cultural value

one need to work as a team team with your employees

Train them and give them exactly the result you are expecting

Staff should be trained about the values, mission and vision of the Organisation

HOW HUMAN RESOURCE STRATEGY CAN UPLIFT AN ORGANIZATION

X
    1 Reply
  • I have a better understanding of the value of recruitment process and culture to the success of an organization.

• Apart from being a very interactive section , I now have a better understanding of mission and value statement and how they interplay to propel employees towards achieving the organization goals and objectives.

• @ikcharlie72 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

aby_T said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

Staff should be trained about the values, mission and vision of the Organisation

I quite agree with you on need to train employees on mission and vision of the organisation as to enable work for the progress of the organisation and achieve a common goal.

• @ikcharlie72 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

aby_T said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

I quite agree with you on need to train employees on mission and vision of the organisation as to enable work for the progress of the organisation and achieve a common goal.

• I have learnt about how to develop, get trust, integrity based on team work. Communication, create an action, asking opinion and appreciations are needed. We can't be ego to decide the values, be open minded and innovation not imitation.

• This course has helped me to see that merely communicating with people doesn't guarantee their compliance. One has to connect with the employees so that they can see things as the owner is seeing it.

• Course Facilitator

Hi @aiahmana @ikcharlie72 @01082019 @X10 @windynurbaiti and @Abisolaoginni , thanks for sharing your thoughts! What is the culture like at your organization? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here?”.

Please, need you swift responses on this.

W
    1 Reply

Hi @aiahmana @ikcharlie72 @01082019 @X10 @windynurbaiti and @Abisolaoginni , thanks for sharing your thoughts! What is the culture like at your organization? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here?”.

On my personal opinion our organization are still using the old way, a lot work to do, money oriented, lacks appreciations, hard to communication because language of instruction isn't english neither local so the intermediary are only hope and sometimes not transparent enough. The good thing is I learnt how to hard work and created a finished product perfectly, but still it's really tiring. Need help ASAP!

X
    P
    2 Replies
  • @windynurbaiti said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

On my personal opinion our organization are still using the old way, a lot work to do, money oriented, lacks appreciations, hard to communication because language of instruction isn't english neither local so the intermediary are only hope and sometimes not transparent enough. The good thing is I learnt how to hard work and created a finished product perfectly, but still it's really tiring. Need help ASAP!

I strongly agree you your comments. Ours is little different because pay attention in employees changes and they also organise training programs once in a while. I believe after this course I will initiate changes.

P
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@windynurbaiti said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

@windynurbaiti, I share in you plight. Since you are involved, I know you have figured out what and how to do as well who to solicit to help smooth your cultural values relationship. Don't hesitate and be persistent in diplomatic way without infringing or breaching protocols and policies towards achieving solutions.

I am impressed too, despite your ordeal, there is a culture of hard work reckoned with in your organization.
    Keep it up and be a change maker indeed!

Thank you for sharing with us all!!

• Course Facilitator

@X10 said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

@windynurbaiti said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

I strongly agree you your comments. Ours is little different because pay attention in employees changes and they also organise training programs once in a while. I believe after this course I will initiate changes.

@X10, thanks for sharing what the culture is like in your organization. We are curious to know what these initiated changes you intend to drive as best practices after this course are. Kindly share we us please.

• I was impressed by the impeccable way of presenting culture and values ​​as fundamental in the process

• Course Facilitator

Hello Learner,
    As we enter the last week on this course, I want you to:
    **** note that this week is the last week of the course for learners to submit final ORA peer assessments they did not complete, answer any remaining questions on the discussion board and fill your Feeback Survey via https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:Acumen+HumanCapital_101+7_1.22_20190520_20190630/courseware/357b5fe8b50b45ffb62c2a45a9d7e4cd/1889ff7f0e6f44e69385360b7df02a11/?active_tab=Conclusion-Feedback Survey.

**** secondly, learners are notified that we have additional resources that you might find useful as you further your experience and skills in this area via https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:Acumen+HumanCapital_101+7_1.22_20190520_20190630/courseware/357b5fe8b50b45ffb62c2a45a9d7e4cd/cc1a30f554374821a78fbc24e1816a8c/?active_tab=Conclusion-You're Done! What's Next?

**** thirdly, like to appreciate you for:

• choosing to learn under us @philanthropyUniversity and to know we have other tailored courses for your needs. Thus, take advantage as you continue to learn.

• creating time amidst your tight schedules and involving data resources to the success of you concluding this course.

• for comporting and coordinating yourself in a well organised manner and for harmoniously working with other colleagues on the course without hitch.
      Lastly, i say a big CONGRATULATIONS !!!! for successfully completing this learning.

Thank you....

• This module prompted us to know for what we have to give focus, which value to be prioritized. How to relate our Mission and our organisation values. An insight to work in frame. Videos and reading material worth the time dedicated to prepare. Altogether, a good feel of learning.

• This course greatly opened up my mind to understand how to actually organize my companies structure starting from the very least to the most important parts of the business and it made me actually give a look ahead what things are going to be like 5 years down the road

@toniaedwin said in Module 1: Culture and Values:

This course, has broaden my understanding of the employees importance to an organisation. ' Your brand evangelist, are your employee" this really got me, seeing that the success of an organisation is majorly tied to the employee.
    I use to think that values are merely what drives an organisation, but now i know it not only drives, but also determines its success or failure.

Perfectly well summerized.
    Learning how important values are in an organization made it easier to actually link that with personal value and how those value could help achieve

• Course Facilitator

@Shobha_J @Peric, thanks for sharing your exceptional thoughts!
    Please, i like to know what is the culture like at your organization? Do you have best practices you’d like to share here?”.

• Course Facilitator

Hello learners,

As the course draws to an end come 30th June, remember to response to all outstanding peer assessments as it determines your grade too.

Lastly, don't hesitate to answer or comment on each module discussion board as appropriated.

Is wholesome having you on this course and learning with us @PhilanthropyUniversity.
    Continue to soar high and be the world change makers ambassadors of our university.

Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE!!!

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.