Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @Course_Operations said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Which tip do you find the mo

THE tip thats is most useful towards creating tools is a simple understanding of the outcome that one is wanting to extract or know. in the MEH case one wants to gather information on the loan and the impact that is has had. so based on the actual exercise that is monitoring or evaluation, keeping in mind about the former aspects tools need to be developed. for a monitoring exercise it may not be viable or useful to seek information on the value or impact proposition but instead will be good to focus on aspects like amount of loan, repayments received, interest and principle amount breakups, revenue invested in business as of date, remaining money that the loanee still has with her....so keeping in mind the actual purpose its important to know what one seeks and then build accordingly

• One way to to create tools that are simple to use is to use words that are easy to understand.The tool should contain information that is brief and relevant.

• @charlesngandu said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand with simple language.
    The language must be simple and designed in a way which can be followed by anyone
    Firstly must look at the targeted people, The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand with simple language. and finally The language must be simple and put in a way which can be followed by everyone

• @belindamndebele2 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

I am very impressed with all the data collection methods that i have learned about, they were actually helpful in terms of improving the systems in the organization that i am working in. I have cove to realize that collecting data in an organization is very important because it helps us to keep track of the progress of our work and to be able to account on everything that happens. as well as checking whether the people we are servicing are satisfied with our work and the services that we are providing for them.
    to ensure that the data collection method we use is easier to everyone we will request that our field workers be the ones who will go to the field and fill in the forms and explain to people while they do that to avoid confusion.
    the tips that i would give other learners is to at least employ officials that are multi lingual, that would be able to explain to the communities or individuals whom they will be conducting data from on what are the forms all about and why they are filling them in.

• to understand your indicators such that you are able to focus on the essential data to collect. Once done decide on data collection frequency and make sure each data collection question is directly answering to an indicator. Create your form, pre-test it and revise on some missing components.

K
    1 Reply
  • not to use words that are complex to understand. However, if such words are used, accompany them with any easy to understand translation so that the respondents get the correct meaning of what you would be inquiring on.

• @Bussiemi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is by using simple, non-complex words. Simple words help you express or convey your message clearly to the readers. Choose words that will effectively convey your ideas and give clarity to your message. Simple is better!

I agree with you 100%, however, in the case that you cannot avoid the complex word, one needs to provide an accompanying translation so that the respondent will get the actual meaning of what is being inquired on

S
    1 Reply
  • for developing the form its important to know about the indicator, how we are going to define indicator , what we wanna record about the indicator , how and what is the purpose of indicator. when you will keep in mind teh answers to all these questions than obviously will be able to develop a form which is serving the purpose.

• @Course_Operations said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

What tips would you offer other learners for creating tools that even users with low levels of education, training, language fluency can use?
    After you have given some advice, read your peer’s comments.

To ensure that the tools are simple enough even for the people with the lowest education levels to be able to understand. It is also important to ensure that only the necessary information is captured in the tool. For this to be realized, keep the project objectives in mind such that the tool being designed does not go off the rail but captures what is intended to be captured. The other tip would be to pre-test the tool before it is launched for use. In the pre-test, the would-be users would be involved so that they could give feedback on whether the tool is user-friendly or not. After the tool has been finalized, it would be necessary to train the users on how to use it. This would ensure that all misconceptions are dealt with.
    It is important to get opinions of other experts as you come up with the right tools. Getting other experts or colleagues involved in your design of data collection tools can make the process a whole lot easier than doing it alone. Another tip would be to look at what others have done rather than re-inventing the wheel.

• @davdanhi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

to understand your indicators such that you are able to focus on the essential data to collect. Once done decide on data collection frequency and make sure each data collection question is directly answering to an indicator. Create your form, pre-test it and revise on some missing components.

I agree with you. It is very important to understand one's indicators before getting down to design the data collection tool because it is the only way of ensuring that you collect the right information.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Anjorin said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

making sure the words used are easy to understand and depending on the target group one can use images to make it more easy

I agree with you @Anjorin, focusing on essential information, with simple language could help in creating simple data collection tool that anyone could use...

K
    1 Reply

Respond to this prompt after completing the content in Module 4.
    How can you make sure that you are creating data collection tools that your users will be able to use easily?
    What tips would you offer other learners for creating tools that even users with low levels of education, training, language fluency can use?
    After you have given some advice, read your peer’s comments. Which tip do you find the most useful or important? Respond to this tip.
    Sample Post: One way to to create tools that are simple to use is ________________ .

To make sure that I create data collection tools that my users will be able to use easily, I need to:

1. Identify who will use this tool
    2. Focus on essential information
    3. Collect metadata
    4. Pre-test my tool
    5. And finally, train staff to use the tool and include instructions

My response above are the tips for creating tools that even users with low levels of education, training, language fluency can use.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@KINDMAN said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@Course_Operations said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

How can you make sure that you are creating data collection tools that your users will be able to use easily?
    After you have given some advice, read your peer’s comments. Which tip do you find the most useful or important? Respond to this tip.
    Sample Post: One way to to create tools that are simple to use is ________________ .

To make sure that I create data collection tools that my users will be able to use easily, I need to:

1. Identify who will use this tool
    2. Focus on essential information
    3. Collect metadata
    4. Pre-test my tool
    5. And finally, train staff to use the tool and include instructions

My response above are the tips for creating tools that even users with low levels of education, training, language fluency can use.

That could help....

• The use of image seems to a very nice concept.

• Course Facilitator

@Kasondems said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@davdanhi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

to understand your indicators such that you are able to focus on the essential data to collect. Once done decide on data collection frequency and make sure each data collection question is directly answering to an indicator. Create your form, pre-test it and revise on some missing components.

I agree with you. It is very important to understand one's indicators before getting down to design the data collection tool because it is the only way of ensuring that you collect the right information.

Yeah, you cannot create data collection tool without knowing the indicators you need to collect, ....

• @addf said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

making sure the words used are easy to understand and depending on the target group one can use images to make it more easy

I agree with you @Anjorin, focusing on essential information, with simple language could help in creating simple data collection tool that anyone could use...

The use of image seems to me a very nice concept.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@KINDMAN said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@addf said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

The use of image seems to me a very nice concept.

Yes, the use of image could be helpful, but it could take much time to design it, and in that way, it would be better to include instructions on it and how to use it.

You can be sure the data collection tool you're creating will be used effectively if you follow the right procedure got creating data collection tool, choose the data collection method relevant to your project, give got assessments and critics by professionals or field officers who are experts in the process, test the tool while correcting errors. All this process can ensure the tools are valid and can be used to provide accurate data, results and information.

To use standard participant forms. Fill in the information needed to be gathered as well as the data needed in a form designed using a Microsoft Word format. Test the tool and correct where necessary. Make sure the information of the participants are asked for as well as provide spaces for the field officers involved to fill.

• Create tools that is easy to read, understand with codes that can be easily interpreted by the user.

1 Reply
  • You could create tools that are simple by using a very straightforward language that is well understood by your target users. Interpreters should be engaged to interface with users as required

Ensure that only relevant and required information are requested for so as to avoid tools that are too cumbersome.

• @charlesngandu said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

1. The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand with simple language.
    2. The language must be simple and designed in a way which can be followed by anyone.
    3. Use simple language to make everyone understand
    4. Use the Codes = such as Marsabit: MA

Very true!

1 Reply
  • One way to create tools that are simple is to have a clear set of instructions for the users in the introduction to inform & guide them on the form's content.
    Besides, testing it before distribution is key to check if there is content that can be added or removed.

• One way to create tools that are simple to use is to use a langauge everyone can relate too. One can also test the tool with a non native speaker to demonstrate how simple the langauge is.

To ensure that we have created data collection tools that our users can easily use, we need to pre-test them. Then we must also include an instruction sheet indicating the objective of the tool and describing, step by step, how to use it, in simple and clear language.

The advice we would give other learners to create tools that even users with low level of education, training and language proficiency can use is to include in the tools detailed instructions in a plain language.

• @ModupeSongoDouglas said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@charlesngandu said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

1. The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand with simple language.
    2. The language must be simple and designed in a way which can be followed by anyone.
    3. Use simple language to make everyone understand
    4. Use the Codes = such as Marsabit: MA

Very true!
    Good!

• To ensure that we have created data collection tools that our users can easily use, we need to pre-test them. Then we must also include an instruction sheet indicating the objective of the tool and describing, step by step, how to use it, in simple and clear language.
    The advice we would give other learners to create tools that even users with low level of education, training and language proficiency can use is to include in the tools detailed instructions in a plain language.

• @Abutuos said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Create tools that is easy to read, understand with codes that can be easily interpreted by the user.

One way to to create tools that are simple to use is to made it in a sample language and add instructions sheet wich explain ste by step how to use tools reated.

• I will make sure that i pilot tested all tools in a neutral facility for honest feedback from the user on how easy or difficult the tool design is to them

• Data design and collection is very important component in M&E. The proper data collection tools must be designed alongside the indicators and prescribed unit of measurements. Some data collection tools may be expensive and time consuming, its imperative that appropriate and suitable data collecting tools be adopted in every M&E logframe.

• one sure way of creating user friendly tools is ensuring that there proper use of appropriate language, and more importantly, ensuring that the tools are pre-tested before actual administration. this ensures one knows whether the tools are responding properly or where changes are needed.

• the best way is to use simple language to avoid misunderstanding of the questions

• When creating a data collection tool, it is very important that we Keep It Short & Simple (KISS). This does not mean that the important indices will not be captured but most be spelt out in clear and simple terms.
    The tool must not be clumsy, look and fill of any template is key to ensure friendliness.

T
    1 Reply
  • @zeeshanijaz59 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Always to the point and use easy language.

Yes i agree. but Language is subject to understanding.

• One way to to create tools that are simple to use is by having proper data collection tools which provides enough information basing on gender, age, location and answering, who is going to collect data.
    My tip for other learners is that, the collection tools should be usable and easy to interpret by users and also , it should include all required needs as well as matching the indicators.

• One way to create tool that can be easily used by your participants is to know some details about your participants - like educational level and how busy they are - This will guide you in creating a form that they can easily work with and give their best answers within a short period.

• @apostledavid58 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

To use words that are not complex in explaining how the tool is to be used

That's the best option. You don't want the participants to spend more time trying to understand your form than trying to answer your questions.

• To ensure that the data collection tool that you are are creating will be easy to use, make sure that all words used can be easily understood and use codes that are a lot obvious like the ones desceibed in the module.

• @Omo4one said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

When creating a data collection tool, it is very important that we Keep It Short & Simple (KISS). This does not mean that the important indices will not be captured but most be spelt out in clear and simple terms.
    The tool must not be clumsy, look and fill of any template is key to ensure friendliness.
    Well put and usefull too

• One way to create a data collection tool is to it simple for participant to read and understand.

• Question 1 answer
    -By knowing the level of knowledge the users have to use the form so that you can use language that they understand.
    -By being familiar with what you are writing to explain it clearly to the users

• Testing the form to ensure that it can work well with users and maker changes that can be understood by the users while addressing the information from the indicators accordingly.
      Question 2
    • To understand well the stEpson of creating the form and use them accordingly in creating forms that are easy to understand by the users.
  • One way to create tools that are simple to use is by using a clear and simple language to make everyone understand.
    The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand and designed in a way which can be followed by anyone. it is better to consider the level of education of the users.

H
    1 Reply

To make sure that you are creating data collection tools that users will be able to use easily, phrase your tool in a way that could be easily comprehended. Do not complicate. Be direct to the point.

Keep questions or statements concise. Probably use Likert Scale.

L
    1 Reply
  • To create tools that are simple to use is to simplifying what you are measuring. That is why you make sure you choose the right type of data collection.

• one way to create tools that are simple to use is simple is when you simplify what you are measuring. You make sure you choose the right type of data collection.

• @davdanhi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@Bussiemi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is by using simple, non-complex words. Simple words help you express or convey your message clearly to the readers. Choose words that will effectively convey your ideas and give clarity to your message. Simple is better!

I agree with you 100%, however, in the case that you cannot avoid the complex word, one needs to provide an accompanying translation so that the respondent will get the actual meaning of what is being inquired on

I agree with you, When you say simple is better ! in that way you will use it to indicate when you observe a positive outcomes

• In order to create data collection tool that can be simple and useful, primarily it should be considered that who are using the tool? what is their educational & professional background? Then, based on that information, the tool should be created. But if such information is not provided, the tool should be created with simple and understandable language, so that even people with no experience can read and use it.

1 Reply
  • one way to create tools easy is to identify who will use it, it must collect essential information, tool to have a spaces to write, must be easy to read.

B
    1 Reply
  • @wakhuta said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is by knowing who is going to use it. Know their level of understanding as well as educational background. Also know the type of data that need to be collected. The tools should not be clouded with a lot of information. Only information needed to measure the indicators should be included on the tools.

I do agree with you @wakhuta,
    Before attempting to create the tool, it is essential to know who are going to use it? when the tool will be used? where it will be used? and for gathering what kind of information will it be used? Is the information needed quantitative or qualitative? All of such questions should be answered before creating the tool.

• One way to make a data collection tool that is easy to use is to take into consideration two criteria:

1. Simplicity in terms of language and length.
    2. Contextualization

Regarding language and length, the tool must be designed in a language that is easy to understand with clarity, precision on the data to be collected, when, who, how often,where etc.

For contextualization, the tool must be adapted to the topic or the project in question.

1 Reply
  • One way to create tools that are simple to use is by looking at the demography of your target population, use simple and comprehensible language and ensure to pre-test is done that way it will work!

@Vero90 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

I think is to create tool based on the indicator designed and nature of information you need to capture

• @nqobile said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

one way to create tools easy is to identify who will use it, it must collect essential information, tool to have a spaces to write, must be easy to read.

I agree who will use it and who it will be used on is quite key in creation of the data collection tool.

• Course Facilitator

@Tamana_Qiyam said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

In order to create data collection tool that can be simple and useful, primarily it should be considered that who are using the tool? what is their educational & professional background? Then, based on that information, the tool should be created. But if such information is not provided, the tool should be created with simple and understandable language, so that even people with no experience can read and use it.

@Tamana_Qiyam , Agreed. What type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools?

• Course Facilitator

@EpitaceBigirindavyi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to make a data collection tool that is easy to use is to take into consideration two criteria:

2. Contextualization

Regarding language and length, the tool must be designed in a language that is easy to understand with clarity, precision on the data to be collected, when, who, how often,where etc.

For contextualization, the tool must be adapted to the topic or the project in question.

@EpitaceBigirindavyi , Strongly agreed with point 1. The contextualization are you referring to the project indicators? Please can you elaborate further so we can all learn. thanks!

• One way to create tools is to avoid complex and ambigious words,but instead use simple and clear words that are easy to understand.
    And also to use simple codes.

1 Reply
  • One way to create a tool that everyone can understand and fill up is to use the local language that is easily understood by the local people. For eg: If the project is being held in Kenya then the form must be created in the local language spoken by the participants so that they can easily understand and possibly fill up the form themselves so that it will be both efficient and effective for the project.

H
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Marleek said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Using a simple words and languages for both the form and instructions
    Ensuring the table is well detailed and outlined
    Ensuring the keys and simple and easily visible and accessible

Great work, @Marleek thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools? Please feel free to share more with us

• Course Facilitator

@pradhanciwani said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create a tool that everyone can understand and fill up is to use the local language that is easily understood by the local people. For eg: If the project is being held in Kenya then the form must be created in the local language spoken by the participants so that they can easily understand and possibly fill up the form themselves so that it will be both efficient and effective for the project.

Thats a great pice of advice there @pradhanciwani Great work
    Thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools to run your activities.
    Please do well to share more with us

• One way to create tools that are useful is to have the participant in mind why creating the tools. Try to test the tool with the participants and ensures that are farmiliar with the usage of the tools.

• One way to create tools that are useful is to have the participant in mind why creating the tools. Try to test the tool with the participants and ensures that they are farmiliar with the usage of the tools. Get feedbacks and re- adjust when necessary.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Debby00 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools is to avoid complex and ambigious words,but instead use simple and clear words that are easy to understand.
    And also to use simple codes.

As Leonardo da Vinci quote, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
    Great work, @Debby00 and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools?

• Course Facilitator

@iv2-3 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are useful is to have the participant in mind why creating the tools. Try to test the tool with the participants and ensures that they are farmiliar with the usage of the tools. Get feedbacks and re- adjust when necessary.

Brilliant @iv2-3
    Great work, and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools? please feel free to share more with us on this platform

• Course Facilitator

@EpitaceBigirindavyi said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to make a data collection tool that is easy to use is to take into consideration two criteria:

2. Contextualization

Thanks for the details @EpitaceBigirindavyi and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools with us.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools for your projects. Please do well to share more with us
    Happy learning
    Enjoy...

H
    1 Reply
  • @shadreckchizukuzuku said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@Dmegastar said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@shadreckchizukuzuku said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Use simple language and always have the level of competence of the intended user in mind when creating a tool. If you have time, have one of the intended user participate in trying of the new tool.

@shadreckchizukuzuku Thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools. What type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools?”.

@Dmegastar I work for a school meals organization and we use these types of tools to collect enrollments and attendance. We use the teachers to collect this data.

One should know their target population well to design appropriate methods. Language used should be simple to understand. Use abbreviations to shorten names etc, as long as you make sure they are clearly written on your form. Instructions to fill in the form should also be written down clearly.

Keep the diction simple and easy to understand especially when the audience who will read and interprete the tool has been identified.

1 Reply
    • Use a simple language

• Make sure to find a common language, if not possible a version into another language could be required or maybe the help of an interpreter

• Instruction must be clear and concise

• Have a clear idea of the target and take advantage of staff help when possible.

1 Reply
  • One way to create tools that are simple to use is to consider the target population with regards to their educational background, age otherwise look for able individuals to collect data

C
    2 Replies
  • Respond to this prompt after completing the content in Module 4.

I find it useful, prior to actually beginning to draft user-friendly data collection tools, to first reflect on the data-sources and who will be tasked to collect the data. Also, don't lose sight of the desired impact and how your targeted participants/communities will contribute to and legitimize the impact.

My example arises from the project logframe that I am developing under this certificate course. The ultimate impact of the proposed safe learning centers for primary and intermediate age children (5-15 years old) during their free-time, is to keep children off the streets and to keep children from being vulnerable to and falling victim to criminality. The data sources (beyond documents and records) are not only the children, but also their parents and their teachers in public schools (the supply side); and the data collectors - in this instance the local assistants and the foreign volunteer facilitators/instructors (the demand side).

Though my scenario is specific, the points I make may be applicable across other sectors. Prior to actually drafting and testing the data collection tool or tracking form, I suggest engaging the stakeholders (in this instance the parents and the public school teachers) to explain the data collection process and its part in the larger scope of Monitoring &Evaluation. In my example, it should be noted that the communities involved are the poorest neighborhoods with no water or electricity and a high percentage of illiteracy, and families/parents that may be unemployed and/or doing odd jobs at odd hours. Thus, it will be critical to make certain that the parents (and the public school teachers) understand and accept the proposed process and that it is not seen as intrusive, rather they understand its relevance, accept it, and are eager to participate.

Having achieved this level of "buy-in", it is then critical that the data collectors fully understand the local context. As I am drafting these comments, I have decided that instead of training only the "local assistants" to collect the data, that I will pair the local assistants with one of the "foreign volunteer facilitators/instructors". [Note: on my proposed project, the "volunteers" are all foreigners - mostly from Western Europe.] The local assistants are often final year secondary schools students or are starting university. Often, the local assistants are from the same neighborhoods as the participant-children and they are known in the neighborhood to the parents and the public school teachers. Though this level of connection or bond into the neighborhood may facilitate receiving timely information and more honest and detailed responses or access to records; there is also a risk that the young data-collectors may not be taken seriously by parents and public school teachers.

Interestingly, in other countries on many projects, I have found that local participants and community and local municipal leaders and beneficiaries often are more eager to meet with you when a more senior-level foreigner is conducting or coordinating or hosting a meeting or event. Thus, in my project example, I will pair the local assistant with a foreign volunteer facilitator/instructor; not only during an initial introduction of the process to parents and public school teachers, but also during the actual data collection exercise(s).

Thus, under this explained approach, the data sources will be more eager to provide honest responses or provide timely recorded data. This "eagerness" is related to their having been engaged right-at-the-start to understand and accept the overall data-collection process and how it contributes to an evidence-base to support the broader project impact. The significance is that the stakeholders (the parents and public school teachers) are actively participating in generating data, information and ultimately in generating knowledge. This active level of open and willing participation not only contributes to meeting the project objective and impact, but also manifested impact is "owned" buy the community/stakeholders - because they understand the process and their contribution to generated data and knowledge. This level of "ownership" legitimizes the impact and the related project processes. Hugh C. Orozco (20 June 2019).

1 Reply
  • @KOPJ said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@EpitaceBigirindavyi

Hello "@EpitaceBigirindavyi",

I agree with your post about use of simple language and clear instructions, and with "contextualization" of the data-collection tool to the project and subject area.

I am also in agreement with other learners who post comments about contextualization of the data collection tool in a broader context to include "understanding the target community". I write about this level of contextualization in my own post to this exercise. I write about not only drafting simple tools, but also about understanding the "data-sources". In my posted example, I note that the data-sources are the target community and that the data collection tool and the data collector must be highly attuned to the specific circumstances/context of the target community if the data is to be reliable and relevant. Cheers, Hugh C. Orozco (20 June 2019)

• @pradhanciwani said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create a tool that everyone can understand and fill up is to use the local language that is easily understood by the local people. For eg: If the project is being held in Kenya then the form must be created in the local language spoken by the participants so that they can easily understand and possibly fill up the form themselves so that it will be both efficient and effective for the project.

Hello "@pradhanciwani",

I am in agreement with you. From a broader perspective you are saying what other learners and I have posted about making the data-collection tools relevant to the local context and traditions/culture. Drafting an easy to understand and easy to use data-collection tool is an important step, but it makes sense that it can be more effective if the tool is implemented in the local language. Not only is the tool more effective in the language, the implication is that the target audience or individual will more clearly understand the question, but also will provide more honest and relevant responses. This process is perhaps also aided by the fact that use of the local language may be seen to be an expression respect for the target community and individuals.
    Cheers, Hugh C. Orozco (20 June 2019).

• @Yonis_Dayib said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is by using a clear and simple language to make everyone understand.
    The data collection tools should be simple and easy to understand and designed in a way which can be followed by anyone. it is better to consider the level of education of the users.

Hello "@Yonis_Dayib",

I agree with you. Many of our fellow learners also write about keeping forms simple and easy to understand and "designed in a way which can followed by anyone". I also agree that is important to consider the users educational level.

My experience has included instances where educational levels are minimal. The proposed users in those instances were literate despite low educational level.

It became especially important that the proposed user participate with in drafting the tool, or at least sit with you to review a drafted sample. This was not testing, rather it was engaging the user right-at-the start not only to understand the simple word usage and forms, but also to understand the process and its purpose.

It empowers the selected user or users, because it potentially sparks an already expressed or observed interest in the data collection process - creating and discussing and refining the data-collection tool with the user(s) active participation is a form of staff development that builds not only empowerment through new skill generation, but also builds confidence and worth/value to the project.
    Cheers, Hugh C. Orozco (20 June 2019).

*Sample Post: One way to to create tools that are simple to use is ________________ .

The most important thing to do before creating a tool is to do an audience analysis which will go a long way in designing an effective tool. In creating a simple tool, the major obstacle is getting the participants to assimilate the contents of the tools. This can be solved by ensuring that contents are of flexible nature.

And I think the most effective tools are ones that the participants get to be the direct responders except in the case of interview and other QR methods

1 Reply
  • ...is to need to understand exactly how their indicator or indicators should be measured.

M
    1 Reply
  • @marcomathanda said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

...is to need to understand exactly how their indicator or indicators should be measured.

...the key is to to understand exactly how the indicator or indicators should be measured.

• One of the ways is to make sure there are clear instruction on how to use the tool, this would mean getting rid of assumptions that we all interpret and see the tool in the same way.
    Another route would be to use simple clear language that can be understood by the users and where need arises, translation that does not take away from the meaning or the data we would like to collect

M
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@HughOROZCO said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

I find it useful, prior to actually beginning to draft user-friendly data collection tools, to first reflect on the data-sources and who will be tasked to collect the data. Also, don't lose sight of the desired impact and how your targeted participants/communities will contribute to and legitimize the impact.

My example arises from the project logframe that I am developing under this certificate course. The ultimate impact of the proposed safe learning centers for primary and intermediate age children (5-15 years old) during their free-time, is to keep children off the streets and to keep children from being vulnerable to and falling victim to criminality. The data sources (beyond documents and records) are not only the children, but also their parents and their teachers in public schools (the supply side); and the data collectors - in this instance the local assistants and the foreign volunteer facilitators/instructors (the demand side).

Though my scenario is specific, the points I make may be applicable across other sectors. Prior to actually drafting and testing the data collection tool or tracking form, I suggest engaging the stakeholders (in this instance the parents and the public school teachers) to explain the data collection process and its part in the larger scope of Monitoring &Evaluation. In my example, it should be noted that the communities involved are the poorest neighborhoods with no water or electricity and a high percentage of illiteracy, and families/parents that may be unemployed and/or doing odd jobs at odd hours. Thus, it will be critical to make certain that the parents (and the public school teachers) understand and accept the proposed process and that it is not seen as intrusive, rather they understand its relevance, accept it, and are eager to participate.

Having achieved this level of "buy-in", it is then critical that the data collectors fully understand the local context. As I am drafting these comments, I have decided that instead of training only the "local assistants" to collect the data, that I will pair the local assistants with one of the "foreign volunteer facilitators/instructors". [Note: on my proposed project, the "volunteers" are all foreigners - mostly from Western Europe.] The local assistants are often final year secondary schools students or are starting university. Often, the local assistants are from the same neighborhoods as the participant-children and they are known in the neighborhood to the parents and the public school teachers. Though this level of connection or bond into the neighborhood may facilitate receiving timely information and more honest and detailed responses or access to records; there is also a risk that the young data-collectors may not be taken seriously by parents and public school teachers.

Interestingly, in other countries on many projects, I have found that local participants and community and local municipal leaders and beneficiaries often are more eager to meet with you when a more senior-level foreigner is conducting or coordinating or hosting a meeting or event. Thus, in my project example, I will pair the local assistant with a foreign volunteer facilitator/instructor; not only during an initial introduction of the process to parents and public school teachers, but also during the actual data collection exercise(s).

Thus, under this explained approach, the data sources will be more eager to provide honest responses or provide timely recorded data. This "eagerness" is related to their having been engaged right-at-the-start to understand and accept the overall data-collection process and how it contributes to an evidence-base to support the broader project impact. The significance is that the stakeholders (the parents and public school teachers) are actively participating in generating data, information and ultimately in generating knowledge. This active level of open and willing participation not only contributes to meeting the project objective and impact, but also manifested impact is "owned" buy the community/stakeholders - because they understand the process and their contribution to generated data and knowledge. This level of "ownership" legitimizes the impact and the related project processes. Hugh C. Orozco (20 June 2019).

@HughOROZCO ,Thanks for sharing your proposed project. I must commend you for such an explicit design on how you intend to engage in in your data collection by bringing everybody onboard. What type of organization do you work for and do you find this course interested ffor your work?”.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Alim16 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@HughOROZCO ,Thanks for sharing your proposed project. I must commend you for such an explicit design on how you intend to engage in your data collection by bringing everybody onboard. What type of organization do you work for and do you find this course interested for your work?”.

I
    1 Reply
  • By understanding your indicator so that your form does not collect irrelevant information.
    By using simple, understandable language and the support of an interpreter where necessary.

1 Reply
    1. By understanding your indicators so that your form does not collect/record irrelevant information.
    2. By using simple understandable language that participants can comprehend or using an interpreter where necessary.
    1 Reply
  • @Alim16 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@Alim16 said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@HughOROZCO ,Thanks for sharing your proposed project. I must commend you for such an explicit design on how you intend to engage in your data collection by bringing everybody onboard. What type of organization do you work for and do you find this course interested for your work?”.

@HughOROZCO, thank you for sharing insights of your project. Very detailed and extremely helpful.

H
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Ilene said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

By understanding your indicator so that your form does not collect irrelevant information.
    By using simple, understandable language and the support of an interpreter where necessary.

@Ilene , Thanks for posting your ideas. Do you find this course useful for your work?

• You can simplify your tool by avoiding use of more technical terms and also by providing instructions to the users.

1 Reply
  • @Thani said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One of the ways is to make sure there are clear instruction on how to use the tool, this would mean getting rid of assumptions that we all interpret and see the tool in the same way.
    Another route would be to use simple clear language that can be understood by the users and where need arises, translation that does not take away from the meaning or the data we would like to collect

Quite informative. Thank you for this

G
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@PearlUtuk said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Keep the diction simple and easy to understand especially when the audience who will read and interprete the tool has been identified.

Great work, @PearlUtuk

• Course Facilitator

@Nick-it said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

• Use a simple language

• Make sure to find a common language, if not possible a version into another language could be required or maybe the help of an interpreter

• Instruction must be clear and concise

• Have a clear idea of the target and take advantage of staff help when possible.

Thats a whole bunch of valuable tips there @Nick-it Great work
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how do you use these types of tools? please feel free to share more with us

• Course Facilitator

@LawalGodwin said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is to consider the target population with regards to their educational background, age otherwise look for able individuals to collect data

Great work, @LawalGodwin
    Happy learning
    Enjoy...

• Course Facilitator

@Ilene said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

1. By understanding your indicators so that your form does not collect/record irrelevant information.
    2. By using simple understandable language that participants can comprehend or using an interpreter where necessary.

Great work, @Ilene and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Please what type of organization do you work for and how well do you use these types of tools. Please feel free to share more with us

• Course Facilitator

@michaelndolom said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

You can simplify your tool by avoiding use of more technical terms and also by providing instructions to the users.

Great work, @michaelndolom and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.

• Course Facilitator

@Omotosho said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

*Sample Post: One way to to create tools that are simple to use is ________________ .

The most important thing to do before creating a tool is to do an audience analysis which will go a long way in designing an effective tool. In creating a simple tool, the major obstacle is getting the participants to assimilate the contents of the tools. This can be solved by ensuring that contents are of flexible nature.

And I think the most effective tools are ones that the participants get to be the direct responders except in the case of interview and other QR methods

Great work, @Omotosho and thanks for sharing your creative ideas for data collection tools.
    Happy learning
    Enjoy...

One way to to create tools that are simple to use is use clear words, train the staff in the tools use and test the tool firstly before implementing.

• One way to create a data collection tool that is user friendly is to test your preliminary tool and find out if it will give the data you intend to collect and how the users are using it.

• Learners should include detailed instructions in simple language, keep the tool simple by focusing or collecting essential information. Focusing on essential information will keep your tool getting too complicated.
    Collecting some Metadata: This metadata will help the M&E team to trace information back to its source which ensures data quality.
    Pre-test your tool by sending it to different people to try using the tool. Let them test the tool in the same environment that it will eventually be used in. Observe them using the tool and ask; is there the tool used in the way you expected it to be used? Are there common mistakes that users make? Are certain words or questions misinterpreted?
    Train staff to use the tool.

P
    1 Reply
  • You are right

You can make sure that you are creating data collection tools that your users will be able to use easily by taking note of the following;
    First of all, Identify the indicator you are measuring. Find groups of indicators that share the same data collection method, source, and frequency of collection.

In ensuring that you create a tool that would offer users with low levels of education, training, language fluency can use, you make sure that you understand what education does the user have, what experience has the user had in using data collection tools, & How comfortable are they using this type of tool by engaging practical use of the form on field with the users.

• @LawalGodwin said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One way to create tools that are simple to use is to consider the target population with regards to their educational background, age otherwise look for able individuals to collect data

That is writing instruction in simple language.

• @michaelndolom said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

@Thani said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

One of the ways is to make sure there are clear instruction on how to use the tool, this would mean getting rid of assumptions that we all interpret and see the tool in the same way.

Quite informative. Thank you for this

You also need to focus on essential information in order to avoid exposing your users especially to those not well educated to confusion in apprehending the tool.

• One way to create tools that are simple to use is ... to create them fit for audience and purpose. For example, the form itself should be nonthreatening and carefully explained in preliminary meetings with the participants. If there is a language barrier, ensure proper translation. If there are any cultural aspects that might create discomfort, find out in advance and correct. If there is low literacy level, consider use of symbols, conversations, storytelling - use the local way of disseminating information. Finally, as MEH decided, it might be good to have external agents fill out the data collection tools. Even if this is the case, a preliminary visit to ensure this format is acceptable and respectful, along with the other tips, might ensure higher rates of success in getting the desired information while also being respectful and considerate of the participants!

• @ClaraEmmanuel said in Module 4 Discussion: Creating Data Collection Tools:

Learners should include detailed instructions in simple language, keep the tool simple by focusing or collecting essential information. Focusing on essential information will keep your tool getting too complicated.
    Collecting some Metadata: This metadata will help the M&E team to trace information back to its source which ensures data quality.
    Pre-test your tool by sending it to different people to try using the tool. Let them test the tool in the same environment that it will eventually be used in. Observe them using the tool and ask; is there the tool used in the way you expected it to be used? Are there common mistakes that users make? Are certain words or questions misinterpreted?
    Train staff to use the tool.

Hello, thanks for your comments. I agree with you that the instructions should be sufficiently detailed and match the population characteristics. Simplest, but not too simple, is best (as Einstein once said) - very true. I love that you included metadata - this is really critical because these details can help to interpret and keep track of volumes of data, allowing evaluation steps to be more efficient. I find the pre-test tip to be really important too, and one I had not considered before now. Absolutely good to find out in advance if the data collection tool is adequate AND appropriate for use. Your questions to this method are very spot on. And finally, yes, training the staff to use the tool is critical if the data collection is to be respectful and successful. Nice job, I learned a great deal from you! Best wishes, Elizabeth

• One way to create tools that are easy to use is to use a simple language that even a layman can understand.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.