Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Staff

Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments

In Module 3, you learned how to incorporate donor families into your fundraising strategy and how to correct mistakes and handle disappointments when fundraising.

Think of a time in which you experienced a “no” or rejection when fundraising. If you have not experienced this, just imagine that you have!

Then, in a discussion post below, please respond to the following question:

1: What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

S
    J
    L
    S
    7 Replies
  • The one thing I have learnt from getting a no response is to listen and look out for the type of no. If it is a no not ever don't be discouraged and reach out to other potential donors and if it is no with a potential, keep reaching out persistent but not pushy.

S
    J
    S
    5 Replies
  • @Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

In Module 3, you learned how to incorporate donor families into your fundraising strategy and how to correct mistakes and handle disappointments when fundraising.

Think of a time in which you experienced a “no” or rejection when fundraising. If you have not experienced this, just imagine that you have!

1: What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

We, human beings, dont like rejection. We always feel bad after being rejected. I remember once I was rejecting by a donor because I wanted to raise some funds for a program of clean water in my community. I needed badly some money in order to buy the equipments for installation to treat water for the people. And when I tried to approach a donor who I thought would help me he said no. That day, I was so disappointed that I wanted to give up because it was my first experience in doing so.

J
    1 Reply
  • @Yemi19 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

The one thing I have learnt from getting a no response is to listen and look out for the type of no. If it is a no not ever don't be discouraged and reach out to other potential donors and if it is no with a potential, keep reaching out persistent but not pushy.

I feel you and i'm totally agreed with you on that point.

• @Yemi19 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

The one thing I have learnt from getting a no response is to listen and look out for the type of no. If it is a no not ever don't be discouraged and reach out to other potential donors and if it is no with a potential, keep reaching out persistent but not pushy.

True..but too many no's can lead to a feeling of failure. sometimes our local society is not used to community giving, and therefore it may be good to consider the FR strategy and see whether community FR is workable or not.

• I loved the different articles about how to respond to a "no." It's something that no one looks forward to but that we can all get better at. Now I need to work on my facial expressions lol

O
    2 Replies
  • During our AGM we call patrons for fundraising. Most of the patrons did not attend the event, but out of expectation the last person we put in the list who we didn't expect much from donated beyond our expectation and when we went to collect the money he doubled the amount.
    From this i learnt that sometimes as a fundraiser you may underrate the most valuable prostects.

M
    1 Reply
  • I learnt that when you get a no from a donor, and you find yourself pissed off, do not show it but rather inquire the reasons and may be next time somebody from your organisation should approach the donor

• @isanyaya said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

During our AGM we call patrons for fundraising. Most of the patrons did not attend the event, but out of expectation the last person we put in the list who we didn't expect much from donated beyond our expectation and when we went to collect the money he doubled the amount.
    From this i learnt that sometimes as a fundraiser you may underrate the most valuable prostects.

Hello Isanyaya.
    quite a good lesson that all donors are key

• One thing I have learnt from getting no answer is to listen and look out for the type of no. And I learnt no response are disappointments but as a fundraiser you don't have to get discouraged or quit the organization but you keep on trying other potential donors

1 Reply
  • I have a very grateful to have this experience to know what to do when I get anxious when I have to ask for donations. Now I feel more confident todo my job. Thankyou!

• @Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future?

There are several interpretations of negative responses about the request for funds. When that happens, you don't have run away or dismayed immediately, the reason for rejection should be identified and subtly negotiated to make it a yes, without putting much pressure on the donor.

• @Stanley92 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

We, human beings, dont like rejection. We always feel bad after being rejected. I remember once I was rejecting by a donor because I wanted to raise some funds for a program of clean water in my community. I needed badly some money in order to buy the equipments for installation to treat water for the people. And when I tried to approach a donor who I thought would help me he said no. That day, I was so disappointed that I wanted to give up because it was my first experience in doing so.

I'm sorry that this happened as your first experience in fundraising when you don't had the tools that Tom gives us in this course. I hope you have overcome the obstacles of your project. regards

• Course Facilitator

I have been rejected by a donor who was very likely to donate at the last minute. At first I was shocked and angry at the same time. Angry because He was not the type to back out at the last minute and with out notices, but later I made peace with myself saying He definitely had reasons to do so.
    I got to know later that he had been diagnosed with some illness. I sent him flowers and a "get well soon' card" wishing him the best.
    From this experience I learnt not to get disappointed or angry at some one out right, look for reasons why? I learnt at other ways to look through the situation and ways to amend it.

C
    M
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@Yemi19 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

True, That is one great thing we've learned! Look out for the type of NO and act accordingly!

• Course Facilitator

@AAW said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

One thing I have learnt from getting no answer is to listen and look out for the type of no. And I learnt no response are disappointments but as a fundraiser you don't have to get discouraged or quit the organization but you keep on trying other potential donors

Exactly. If we can identify the type of NO, this will be a great learning experience and we can gain from it.

L
    1 Reply
  • What I learnt is to always identify the type of NO I got from donors and device the strategy to re-approach them depending on the type of NO. I also learnt to incorporate donors families and dealing with disappointment.

D
    1 Reply
  • @Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I have been rejected by a donor who was very likely to donate at the last minute. At first I was shocked and angry at the same time. Angry because He was not the type to back out at the last minute and with out notices, but later I made peace with myself saying He definitely had reasons to do so.
    I got to know later that he had been diagnosed with some illness. I sent him flowers and a "get well soon' card" wishing him the best.
    From this experience I learnt not to get disappointed or angry at some one out right, look for reasons why? I learnt at other ways to look through the situation and ways to amend it.

Exactly, this module really thought us a lot about handling rejection.

1 Reply

I learned that I should not be angry with a donor when she/ he say No. In fact, I should bless them.

However, No could also mean not for now, but come back later. I should not let "NO" undermine my confidence and effectiveness in fundraising.

• @Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@AAW said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

One thing I have learnt from getting no answer is to listen and look out for the type of no. And I learnt no response are disappointments but as a fundraiser you don't have to get discouraged or quit the organization but you keep on trying other potential donors

Exactly. If we can identify the type of NO, this will be a great learning experience and we can gain from it.

Shooren, I agree with you that as a fundraiser, you should not be discouraged by a No. Identifying the type of "NO" can be a great Learning experience.

• I have learnt to use the response No,in understanding what the donor motive is and using the response No to find a better way to approach the donor.
    Thank you.

• @comforteossom said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

What I learnt is to always identify the type of NO I got from donors and device the strategy to re-approach them depending on the type of NO. I also learnt to incorporate donors families and dealing with disappointment.

I agree to your suggestion.

@FAIZI One thing which i have learned from rejections or NO is that i have set rules for myself. 1-On daily basis i conduct my own audit. 2-I Re visit every thing.3- I seek feed back from my mistake. 4-I Re shape things with much better and improved approach.I listen to top leaders and coaches online. I Say ,lets make mistakes BUT new one.

1 Reply
  • @comforteossom said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Shooren said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

Exactly, this module really thought us a lot about handling rejection.

@Shooren I agree with you. Always try to know what went wrong first. You took right move sending your Donner flowers as a pleasant gesture. I am sure you will turn him/her to your all time Donner. Weldon.

1 Reply
  • I have learnt how to cope up with no as a fundraiser given the fact that i now know the 9 no. This has branded me a newer fundraiser whose pain from no will not be so bad like for a learner who has never studied this course module or any other fundraiser.
    I am set to face every no and handle it with a lot of maturity of an experienced fundraiser.

1 Reply
  • Remember, not all "NO's" mean "NO" forever. There is always an opportunity to ask your potential donor at the end if you might be able to revisit them in the future. If their answer is "No" to that as well, try to see if there is any other way they would like to help before writing them off completely. A "NO" could be a "NO" today, but in a month or two down the road that person may be ready to give.

Remember also, that every time you are rejected it only makes the next meeting easier and who knows maybe you weren't able to get a "YES" but someone else in your organization may have better luck.

Great story! Your ability to turn the negative into a positive and send him a heartfelt get well soon is all about building rapport with your donors. If he didn't give in the beginning that gesture may persuade him to do so in the future.

1 Reply
  • I learnt that getting a No shouldn't make you be discouraged. This course has helped me put together how,who and when to approach.

If at all I get a harsh No, I should not be discouraged .It could be that my approach was wrong or that the person does not what to give and I should respect that.

R
    2 Replies
  • I learned a great lesson. When things aren't going well with the donor's money don't ignore the problems or cover them up. Deal with them in a constructive manner let the entrusted donors be part of the solution.

1 Reply
  • After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas
    The good thing that I learn from the experience of rejection or getting "no" from a donor, is that not every "no" it means that you are not given the donation forever but some time it is not the right time to ask the donation.
    The important thing to consider is to know what type of "no" you receive from a donor and you have to know how you can handle it.

1 Reply
  • no, is the saddest,irritating, weird, annoying response that one may get, especially when seeking assistance, since you have the believe that you will get support.if we all know we will get no, no one will approach certain donors. however, i have learnt they are different types of no and responses towards them. the best way to react to each know, is to smile, appreciate; ,at-least you got a response. i then inquire more why the donor has rejected to fund my project. i may find good advice, that will support the organization, even without the funding, or will get to know if the donor can support the organization by other means rather than funds, or support some time later or reffer me to other donors.thank you

1 Reply
  • @Abimbola_elizabeth said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I learnt that getting a No shouldn't make you be discouraged. This course has helped me put together how,who and when to approach.

If at all I get a harsh No, I should not be discouraged .It could be that my approach was wrong or that the person does not what to give and I should respect that.

sure. this is amazing.you cant give up till you get what you are aiming at.by listening to them, you get to know them better as well as understand why they have rejected to fund you,and this will help you improve on your weaknessese.salute

1 Reply
  • The one thing I learnt, is using the "No" as a lesson. Also acknowledging there are different types of "Nos" and responding to them differently.

1 Reply
  • @DCopeland said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I loved the different articles about how to respond to a "no." It's something that no one looks forward to but that we can all get better at. Now I need to work on my facial expressions lol

😁 facial expressions got me. Well done

• I learnt that some disappointments can be a blessing also, just in the case of Catherine who disappointed the organisation but her presence brought them other donors who even gave more than she would have done.
    Also to know when to apologize and be honest about it.

1 Reply
  • According to my experience the No that may be helpful in the future is NO NOT Now,this no is when donor either not plan to donate currently or the amount you need may be bigger than what he/she have.

what you can do in this situation is if you don't want to receive much in future you can receive small now,other wise you can ask when the donor will be in position so that you can request again.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @Yemi19 . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @Stanley92 . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your Experience, @7702 As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

@onyinyeokoye12 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I learnt that some disappointments can be a blessing also, just in the case of Catherine who disappointed the organisation but her presence brought them other donors who even gave more than she would have done.
    Also to know when to apologize and be honest about it.

Thanks for sharing about your experience, @onyinyeokoye12 . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

@N25 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

The one thing I learnt, is using the "No" as a lesson. Also acknowledging there are different types of "Nos" and responding to them differently.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @N25 . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

@riziki said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Abimbola_elizabeth said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I learnt that getting a No shouldn't make you be discouraged. This course has helped me put together how,who and when to approach.

sure. this is amazing.you cant give up till you get what you are aiming at.by listening to them, you get to know them better as well as understand why they have rejected to fund you,and this will help you improve on your weaknessese.salute

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Abimbola_elizabeth . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @riziki . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @Kirosa . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @aleryani, As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing thoughts @abimbola, As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappoint

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @shooren. As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @531. As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @comforteosom, As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @faizi, As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

Al in my life I feared about failure and rejections. 'Rejection' a word which is naturally a negative word to accept. But after doing this course I have learned so may things and believed that rejection can be a new starting of another good thing. Rejections may close a source of funding for a while and can bring a lot of opportunities in long run. It can also connect so many other possible come through So I learned to accept rejection and fight anxiety which i believe the most important learning from this course.

M
    S
    2 Replies

Absolutely! the way you have said is the exact thing I was about to say. Keep reaching out percistent but not pushy.

Al in my life I feared about failure and rejections. 'Rejection' a word which is naturally a negative word to accept. But after doing this course I have learned so may things and believed that rejection can be a new starting of another good thing. Rejections may close a source of funding for a while and can bring a lot of opportunities in long run. It can also connect so many other possible come through So I learned to accept rejection and fight anxiety which i believe the most important learning from this course.

• @Sabreena said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Course_Operations said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

Absolutely! the way you have said is the exact thing I was about to say. Keep reaching out persistent but not pushy.

• I have learned that a no should never get you discouraged but teach you to listen carefully and act apon the feedback given to you .

• I learnt that no does not mean no forever. I have to listen carefully and understand the reasons why someone is saying no and then I have to react accordingly.

What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future!?

I do believe that rejection is a part of life, whether we like it or not, there will always be some rejection in fundraising work. Instead of avoiding it, it is best to learn how to deal with rejection and to accept it quietly. when we know how to manage rejection, the path to growth is calmer and more promising. Besides, it can be a good thing after all.
    The most important thing is not to let rejection overturn us. There is also no need to avoid rejection. What we need to learn is how to accept rejection, without great resentments and realize that all this is not personal. how can one accept and deal better with rejection. many things, among them, know what rejection really means. When a donor does not accept to help our organization or cause or project, it does not mean that it is not good. It simply means that either the donor is not the right person for that decision, or that it is inappropriate moment, or because it requires that other people in the organization have to enter into the negotiation, among other issues. Sometimes, by changing an aspect of the project or approach, such as adding new dimensions to the proposal, or deleting a detail, it may be that the project is accepted next time. But sometimes the project will not be accepted even if we change the details and approach.

• @Sabreena said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

Sometimes the reason why we can’t accept rejection is that we are too attached to the outcome. We have an expectation of what things should be. Yourself, have you ever asked yourself who or what are you obsessed with?” Are you too attached to your date? Or are you too attached to your passion and your vision? cheers

• 1: What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future.

I have learnt that it is important no to be discouraged, but rater, differentiate if the rejection is a soft or hard no. Once this can be determined, there is possibility of turning the no to a future yes.

S
    1 Reply
  • I learned that there are numerous reasons why a donor says no.

• I have learnt that its "okay " to be rejected ..... Rejections makes me eager to be persistent to get new donors on board or have old donors whom I didn't think would partner ,reach out ... Rejections make you passion oriented .

• Always listen carefully, and establish the best possible results for ones organisation

• @Course_Operations said in [Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments

The first thing I learned is if donor willing to give gift . He will give . And if he doesn't will to give but shows to give ,will never give and run from you.
    Rejection teaches us a lot to keep courage and confidence.

• i learnt that i should not allow rejection from a donor cause a dent to my confidence and self-esteem and try to give up (giving up would be pretty easy when it happens more that once) because rejection really gets ugly in the mind.

S
    1 Reply
  • The most important lesson for me is that, 'No' is not the end of the world, If i handle it well, it may as well be access to better opportunities for funding.

1 Reply
  • @Starlex said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

i learnt that i should not allow rejection from a donor cause a dent to my confidence and self-esteem and try to give up (giving up would be pretty easy when it happens more that once) because rejection really gets ugly in the mind.

I agree 100%

• I have learnt that all Nos are not the same and my understanding of the No can facilitate the next line of actions. I have also learnt that the children of donors must be accounted for in our plans because the are likely to develop the tendencies to donate as their parents did

• Aside identifying with a No response, it also gives me the room to learn more about the 'Act' of Asking or fundraising, which get me prepare for the next round of donor. To also know that with each donor, there's an approach and no one solution fits all mechanism but being dynamic in the asking with every potential donor.

1 Reply
  • @Seann009 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

The most important lesson for me is that, 'No' is not the end of the world, If i handle it well, it may as well be access to better opportunities for funding.

Yeah, agreed and also to add that for both the person that asked and the donor that said no- there's no loser but a knowledge exchange thereby enriching experience for next round of asking.

S
    1 Reply
  • A No means Not now. It could have multiple reasons based on what I've learned in this module. Try to find out right reason for No and work on it. Alternatively, have large pool of potential donors to pitch so I don't get stuck with one donor and feel disappointed.

1 Reply
  • one important thing i've learnt here is that in fundraising,we cant escape from issues of rejection or disappointment. However,when we identify d type of no and deal with it in a constructive way,it helps us look beyond d disappointment. For example,each "NO" requires you ask a different/better question rather than simply giving up.

• @Sone said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

1: What is one thing you have learned from the experience of rejection or getting a “no” from a donor that can help you be successful in the future.

I have learnt that it is important no to be discouraged, but rater, differentiate if the rejection is a soft or hard no. Once this can be determined, there is possibility of turning the no to a future yes.

This looks more or less like a "Never say never " attitude.

1 Reply
  • Besides identifying what type of no is and trying to figure out how to overcome it, it's better you study the donor first and know what they might be interested in funding, this improves the response you are likely to get,
    That's what I understood out of rejections and how to overcome.

1 Reply
  • @OluwaseunPepperOdejimi said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Seann009 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

The most important lesson for me is that, 'No' is not the end of the world, If i handle it well, it may as well be access to better opportunities for funding.

Yeah, agreed and also to add that for both the person that asked and the donor that said no- there's no loser but a knowledge exchange thereby enriching experience for next round of asking.

I have liked the idea, because if you concentrate on the other side of discouragement, you may lose many of your donors, because most are not straight forward.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your disappointments, @DCopeland . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

@saidiheinze said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@OluwaseunPepperOdejimi said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Seann009 said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

I have liked the idea, because if you concentrate on the other side of discouragement, you may lose many of your donors, because most are not straight forward.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Seann009 . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your thoughts @saidiheinze . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your thoughts @suleimanshettima . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your thoughts @priyalr . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

P
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

Thanks for sharing about your thoughts @OluwaseunPepperOdejimi . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

• I have learnt how handle all types of rejections, and hope to lessen future rejections, thanks to the community, hoping for more ideas!!!

• @Cmnyarangi said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

Thanks for sharing about your thoughts @priyalr . As Professor Tom Wolff says, disappointment is a natural part of fundraising. What is something you learned in the course that will help you to avoid or lessen fundraising disappointments?

If i approach Fundraising as an act of giving an opportunity to donor to help someone will make the process fun and enjoying the process. This way I won't get depressed for rejection, instead I move on to next person on my donors list. Based on my learning from this course I've realized that not every donor I approach is right fit or needs to donate. Detachment from the result goes long way. Finding right donor match would allow me to have long term donor which benefits the whole cause instead of finding a new one time donor. Happy to know your thoughts on the same.

J
    1 Reply
  • The fundraising "no" does not mean that you cannot be funded it show there is a need for you to align your reguest with the donors demand or principles or rules.

• @priyalr said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

@Cmnyarangi said in Module 3 Discussion: Incorporating Donor Families and Dealing with Disappointments:

If i approach Fundraising as an act of giving an opportunity to donor to help someone will make the process fun and enjoying the process. This way I won't get depressed for rejection, instead I move on to next person on my donors list. Based on my learning from this course I've realized that not every donor I approach is right fit or needs to donate. Detachment from the result goes long way. Finding right donor match would allow me to have long term donor which benefits the whole cause instead of finding a new one time donor. Happy to know your thoughts on the same.

Thank you Priyalr for your response. Remember that the fundraising "NO" is an eye opener to some extent as it helps you to present your request accordingly and to the right donors or the right representative who is in position to make decisions about fundraising.

• I am new to this world and seeing the lack of interest of donors, not personally, but more on online campaigning made me think and look for more knowledge. Is my project not appealing? Are we communicating in a good way? Am I giving the right care and acknowlegement to the donors??
    I realized that I am lacking some tools in all steps. That is why I am doing this course, to be able to spot my mistakes and make better campaigns and communitcate better with donors. So, the disappoitments didn't stop me, instead they made me look for improvements.

• I life, it is possible to meet a "no" or a disappointment. Everyone of us have the right to do what he/she wishes to do with his/her wealth without been questioned. Life can not be smooth always. Rejection will come at a point in time we must be ready to welcome it in good faith. It comes to strengthen us and teaches us to plan in a more strategic ways.

• I believe in putting in the best effort leading up to an ask, and if the donor says "no", find out the reasons why and move on with it. It does dampen my spirit a wee bit, but after a good night's sleep, start the next day anew and walk on with hope in your heart.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.