Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• What are some of the current events in Kenya?

Hi @all Community members in Kenya!

What are some of the current events going on in your region?

Are there meet-ups you want to share with the group?

Have any of you ever met in-person to discuss your work and/or interests?

B
    J
    D
    L
    4 Replies
  • Hi all, yes there are meet ups as members of the Institute of Human Resource Managers in Kenya. we occasionally meet and discuss current issues eg. managing disputes in the workplace, how to build a strong workforce etc.

• @kamilla said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

Hallo! I would like to understand the specific types of events you mean. However, I can speak for my field in Communications- there are PR and Media events that are happening with training in the space of media through AMWIK ,PR & Media network Kenya & PRSK. But in this particular group of Partnerships, I haven't met anyone in person to discuss work / interests. What about you?

• Hi, Yes could you be a little more specific on what events exactly. Thanks

• I wouldn't know if there is anything going on...I'm in the dark🌑 on this one...we should plan something...who is with me🖐️

D
    P
    2 Replies

We have not met in person as community members of these group. But, it would be great that we meet. In general, about the current events going on in Kenya, I would point out issues around Universal Health Coverage, which is part of the president's Big Four Agenda. There is a Devolution Conference (all 47 governors and the presidency expected to attend) happening from tomorrow, 4th to 8th March where a lot of issues are expected to be discussed. A good platform for advocacy.

• In Kenya i would want to think we are sliding back to those all years, our democratic space is quickly shrinking as people rush back the their trible bases. Kenya has 42 tribes and 47 county government, meaning we are almost doing tribe for a county and sub-tribe for a county. i highly do not see democracy, i leave in a county that my tribe is a minority, we have no say on the on-goings in this county...Sad still is the generation of my kids whom i real fear for. do they have a future in this counties?
    Education has been and still is the key to success, 100% transition by the government from primary to secondary seems to have w and worked well..In the new last week, it was reported that Narok county had a transition of 98% which is very remarkable for an area that has rampant female genital mutilation and early marriages among small girls..This is purely attributed to the effort by the county commissioners office to ensure that they take roll-calls through the village elders and chiefs. This was very remarkable. i wish the same effort is applied in Turkana county of Kenya and many other counties that practice this outdated customs.....The laptop project by the government to all children joining schools flopped and the government rethinking its approach and now thinking of developing computer laboratories in schools instead of the expensive laptops project which is a bright idea.
    Agriculture has terribly suffered, the sugarcane sectors has gone down leading to massive loss of revenue to the people of this regions..Maize farmers were up in arms last month due to lack of market for their produce and cheap importations. Galana kulalu project by the government, where the government had started a multi million shillings farming project has turn out to be a white elephant project with millions of shillings lost.

Politics and our 2022 general election is another very big story with most politicians clamoring for a constitutional change before election and party realignment among politicians and the heated gender debate. last week we had a motion in about the two third gender law that was hit by lack of quaram in the house, This was the 4th time the bill has been brought to parliament with no success at all.

• Events in Kenya are unfolding rapidly.Major sectors of the economy of Kenya such as Health,Education,Agriculture,Energy and Treasury are growing in a snail pace but adversely affected by many issues.Events occurring in Kenya are of large magnitude can mention one like the devolution conference which is major component to the development of constituencies from the New Constitution.Devolution is a major occurrence to the country and is a project still under works since it is new concept to the country.
    No meet ups that I have come across.
    Never met any person since am new here.

• hi team ,kenya is doing fine just pushing with lots of issues around but we thank God we are ok ,im sorry i never responded in good time ,i lost my wife burial is next week ,

S
    1 Reply
  • Hi. I am writing from Kenya - Mombasa County.
    We are improving slowly on all sections.
    Our economy is still low in general and there is no employment.
    Tenders and opportunities are give based on influence and not qualifications.
    We require more trainings and internships.

Our tax rates are so high which is making it difficult for the common man to survive.
    Amidst all this - we are grateful to God.

• @oduma said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

hi team ,kenya is doing fine just pushing with lots of issues around but we thank God we are ok ,im sorry i never responded in good time ,i lost my wife burial is next week ,

Hi oduma
    Sorry for your loss may 10th we will be doing another csr in kericho distributing 1 yr supply sanitary towels to primary school in kericho

O
    1 Reply
  • Sorry for my late response, Kenya is fine but mourning some of our citizens who perished in the Ethiopian airline plane which crashed yesterday,other wise am excited to be here

• @saodindo said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

@oduma said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

hi team ,kenya is doing fine just pushing with lots of issues around but we thank God we are ok ,im sorry i never responded in good time ,i lost my wife burial is next week ,

Hi oduma
    Sorry for your loss may 10th we will be doing another csr in kericho distributing 1 yr supply sanitary towels to primary school in kericho

ohhh thats is great for kericho i hope we shall find time meet and share more though its roughly 150 kilometers from home

• @Tiffany_Kisiero said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

I wouldn't know if there is anything going on...I'm in the dark🌑 on this one...we should plan something...who is with me🖐️

Hi, I agree with you, we should plan a meet up. I thought of after we begin the course.

1:Current events in my region; we are mourning the death of Kenyans in the Ethiopian flight crash.
    2:No meet ups as of now, but I would not mind having one especially with people whom we are in the same career.
    3:Not yet met anyone in person. But it would be a good idea.

• Am replying from Nairobi, Kenya. We are doing fine. Struggling with fighting our greatest enemy-corruption

• Corruption is almost the daily talk here in Kenya. its the malignant tumor thats slowly eating away our very existence. kenyans have to rise up to the occassion and salvage the delicate situation at whatever cost

• Well bad governance, for me is what is bringing our country down. Like our 2nd president said, "siasa mbaya maisha mbaya" - bad politics(governance), bad livelihood

• @Tiffany_Kisiero said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

I wouldn't know if there is anything going on...I'm in the dark🌑 on this one...we should plan something...who is with me🖐️

I totally agree

• Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen I happened to join the community early March. I am employed to work at a private company freight (CFS) as a port clerk. For our company business is stable compared to other logistics companies. I am looking forward to acquire skills in the current program on human capital strategy. I am located in Mombasa and hoping to get a team to work with in the course thank you

• lack of enough hostels to university students, insecurity to university students

• i would say alot is happening in our country right now. Most of the issues arising are from people who are not accountable for their actions.
    There has not been any meet up arranged that i have heard of.
    No i have not met any one yet but as we progress i would love to meet with members from my Country.
    hi i am Patricia from Kenya

Hi Team. There is alot currently going on. Notable activities are: Development of modern railway line to decongest the city, Pilot project for Universal Health Coverage in selected counties. In counties, different counties have various projects and programs set since 2017 while othera are emergencies. Emergency cases includes handling drought and famine in affected counties. Some xounties have aligned themselves to the national agenda:The Big 4 whose key agendas are
    *Manufacturing

• Affordable Housing
    • Food security
    • Universal Health Coverage

I don't know of any meet-up group yet but am hopong we can form one from this platform.
    I have not met any of the team members personally but i hope to soon.

• Hello Everyone...The Rest of Kenya is fantastic except for Corruption which is topping up in the News Headlines. This matter is longing up and we need to device for the mechanism to stay without. Since indipendence, the fight on corruption has been on from government to government.
    Too sad to mention that part of the country where I was brought up has been stricken by serious Hunger with Lots of Death Reported

![77805be9-b569-4bbc-8e69-06c536927213-image.png](Uploading 43%)

• Kenyan community, Hello there. Being fairly new on this platform I'll firstly commend it as I look foward to learn while engaging with most of you. The question posed is a broad one so I'll narrow it down to a positive "Kenya remains great". The disheartening ongoings broadly due to poor governance might slow down progress yet Kenyans still hope. I personally hope for responsible leadership, less ignorance among the youth, accountability to self and community...looking foward to engage with all of you!

• A lot is happening in Kenya.Development projects on high gear.The problem is that corruption is eating up the country.This has led to a very high foreign debt. If not addressed urgently ,the country risks auctioning of its assets like ports.

1 Reply
  • @3237_2019 said in What are some of the current events in Kenya?:

A lot is happening in Kenya.Development projects on high gear.The problem is that corruption is eating up the country.This has led to a very high foreign debt. If not addressed urgently ,the country risks auctioning of its assets like ports.

Eunice Mwathi -Kenya.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.