Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Leaders and strengthening organizational culture

Hi @all Community members!

I came across this article by Stanford Social Innovation Review: https://ssir.org/articles/entry/how_leaders_can_strengthen_their_organizational_culture

It is about how leaders can strengthen their organizational culture. At Philanthropy University we take our cultural norms and values very seriously, not only are they explicitly stated, we also have a deep feedback culture that ensures we are living up to the standards we agreed to together.

What are the values that are important at your organization?

What are the mechanisms you have in place to ensure you are living up to your values?

E
    W
    A
    S
    E
    8 Replies
  • @kamilla said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

I came across this article by Stanford Social Innovation Review: https://ssir.org/articles/entry/how_leaders_can_strengthen_their_organizational_culture

It is about how leaders can strengthen their organizational culture. At Philanthropy University we take our cultural norms and values very seriously, not only are they explicitly stated, we also have a deep feedback culture that ensures we are living up to the standards we agreed to together.

What are the mechanisms you have in place to ensure you are living up to your values?

Thanks so much. This article is interesting especially when Alexa Cortes talk about accountability and gender equality as a culture that we need to emphasize on in this 21st century.

M
    2 Replies
  • @Eliesango said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

@kamilla said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Thanks so much. This article is interesting especially when Alexa Cortes talk about accountability and gender equality as a culture that we need to emphasize on in this 21st century.

A very informative article. In our organization we are beginning to embrace our cultural norms by reminding ourselves of our mission and vision, going forward we need to try the 360 degree feedback objectively. i think when the process is owned up by the top management, cascading it down is a lot easier

• Hello and thanks!

• Thank you!
    I think that respect is if not the most, then one of the most important values that we have.
    We need to have love and a huge amount of tolerance and patience for one another to actually make things happen and work through our differences or difficult situations that may present along the way.
    We simply treat each other as we'd like to be treated and thanks to the fact that we're really good friends- It makes things a little bit easier for us.

1 Reply
  • Thanks for asking. The most important culture we're trying to build here is abbreviated as KEBUN, in Indonesia it stands for Kolaboratif, Erat, Bermanfaat, Unggul, dan Nyata. In English, it translate as Collaborative, Firm, Beneficial, Excellence, Concrete

• Hello all nice to meet you, it is a very idea to collaborate and share knowledge, be friends and brothers. Thanks kamilla and others

• Wow.......like you kamilla......very very inspirational knowledge that I got from your ken......

• I am committed to social justice and gender equality. Also integrity in society.

• Hi colleagues,
    Thank you very much for touching base on culture. The main culture we are trying to build among us and the communities we serve are the following:
    Nonviolence: We strongly believe the right to live in violence-free families and communities.
    Respect: We believe the right to be treated with everybody regardless their status respect and dignity.
    Empowerment: Everybody deserves to reach their full potential, make their own decisions ,and have control over their lives.
    Partnership: Civil society must work together to bring about peaceful communities. No single organization can do it alone.
    Social Justice: Efforts to ensure true well-being, which can be achieved through the provision of indispensable needs, the protection of the vulnerable and equitable distribution of resources.

• A very educative piece. My particular interest is the 360 degrees feedback and Board assessment is used to hold top echelon of management accountable.

• Very very nice topic...respect and policies has a an important role to play in organization...hope to learn more.

• A very interesting topic. I am mainly interested in entrepreneurship and inclusive economic growth

• The issue of leadership cannot be overemphasised in an organization and culture practiced in that organisation. Leadership plays a major role on the thought pattern and lifestyle of everyone involved in the day to day running of the organization.

• Every organization has a culture based on their vision and values. Its very important to imbibe the culture of the organization on the employees . When the employees understand organization culture they are more engaged and it it becomes easy for the organization to achieve their goals.

P
    1 Reply
  • @PAchukwu said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Every organization has a culture based on their vision and values. Its very important to imbibe the culture of the organization on the employees . When the employees understand organization culture they are more engaged and it it becomes easy for the organization to achieve their goals.

Organization culture should be part of the orientation and on-boarding training for new employees and it's also important for organizations to carry out an organization culture survey once in a while to ensure that the employees understand the culture of the organisation

R
    1 Reply

I have been working with a small organisation on business development where one of their values is on teamwork. When the staff was given a task to work on together a lot of tension and low participation affected the outcome of the project.

The organisation didn't have any clearly defined mechanisms to ensure the that staff live up to the values set. The leadership didn't not follow through any of the processes and policies in how they operate as the staff was not even clear on what the organisation is all about. I suggested that the organisation have a team building exercise during a retreat to ensure that the staff are clear and understand their vision, mission, values and culture. The exercise was also a platform to keep the staff motivated in the right direction.

M
    M
    B
    3 Replies
  • @Wimbai_84 said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

I have been working with a small organisation on business development where one of their values is on teamwork. When the staff was given a task to work on together a lot of tension and low participation affected the outcome of the project.

The organisation didn't have any clearly defined mechanisms to ensure the that staff live up to the values set. The leadership didn't not follow through any of the processes and policies in how they operate as the staff was not even clear on what the organisation is all about. I suggested that the organisation have a team building exercise during a retreat to ensure that the staff are clear and understand their vision, mission, values and culture. The exercise was also a platform to keep the staff motivated in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing this. Keeping my team engaged and motivated has been an issue recently.

• I worked for an organization which till I left I had no clue there was a mission statement, vision talk more of a culture. It rather unattractive that some organisations don't live up their values this in turn leaves it's staff underdeveloped, even if programs are achieved to full capacity, values like team work is not properly practiced, where organisational information, that should shared across a team is held back all in the name of leadership, this slides the impact such information is supposed bring. Organisations should be able to outline it's values in writing, equip it's member of staff with it, and ensure by establishing some proper mechanisms, it is used to implement programs.

W
    1 Reply
  • @MannaBK said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

I worked for an organization which till I left I had no clue there was a mission statement, vision talk more of a culture. It rather unattractive that some organisations don't live up their values this in turn leaves it's staff underdeveloped, even if programs are achieved to full capacity, values like team work is not properly practiced, where organisational information, that should shared across a team is held back all in the name of leadership, this slides the impact such information is supposed bring. Organisations should be able to outline it's values in writing, equip it's member of staff with it, and ensure by establishing some proper mechanisms, it is used to implement programs.
    I support you there 100%

Awesome. Well-done Mr. Kamila, this is indeed informative and inspiring

• Thanks, this is meaningful tool, in our organization there are many policies implemented strictly, such as " Bullying and Harassment policy" it decrees or eliminates bad behaviors, and strengthen good relationship among staff and enhances integrity of each other.

• Course Facilitator

While we all focus on achieving our goals, we see one another as partners who deserve mutual respect. We create an atmosphere of team work where the success of one is celebrated as the success of all.

• This is very enlightening. An organization that does not have strong work values on issues like integrity, honesty, transparency and the likes will inhibit it's productivity and will reflect a bad image of such organisation to the society. It's only a matter of time.

Agree and conditionally same!

• A very interestimg article, thanks Kamilla for sharing. This taught me that manageable organizational culture influences the improvement of the quality of services in any country.

• Hi to all, I am Moses T. Cammue from Monrovia, Liberia. I'm so glad to be part of this great team and hope that we all share in this team for success.

• Hello everyone,
    In our company rules are alreday set end shared to every employee. But due to lack of regular recall or follow, staff neglect the value alredy shared.
    During this year, the management have changed and organized session with all staff and trainging for us. From that date, the working environment have changed.

• @Eliesango said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Am Cosmas Chikweni the dire tor of Hec Consultancy and program coordinator of Anchor Of life in Malawi. the main aim i have seen in the organisation framework is that leaders they fail to execute their duties as directed in the organisation's human resources policies hence they use power to affect the juniors who are willing to work effectively. as leaders in the organisation their must be strong orientation n the projects being embarking and they should be able to conduct performance appraisal to their junior even the leaders themselves.
    the first value that needs to be observed is team work in which they need to understand that without my juniors i can not make an impact even without the beneficiaries nothing can be done. all these will help to enhance good leadership in as far as organisation is concerned.
    thanks am proud of this teach me more team

• Very interesting topic.
    In my organization, we have four important values; we focus relentlessly on improving lives, we make no small plans, drive to sustainability, inventive and quick-footed and master the art of collaboration. Overall, we know that impact at great scale cannot be accomplished alone. We seek exceptional, high-integrity colleagues and partners, and value collaboration, openness, team spirit, and personal leadership.

In order to see these values come to life, we have and still in the journey of establishing clear policies and systems in all our operational areas. We have as well started a culture and transformation journey and redefining our culture to ensure that it is understood by every one. We have a strong culture of soliciting feedback from our employees and we want to venture into establishing a clear mechanism of getting feedback from both our clients and partners.

• Our Nonprofit Company developed a Code of Ethical Behaviour. The document spells out fifteen principles, adopted Board and Staff on how to conduct NPC business and organise the relationships amongst themselves and with stakeholders (Inclusive of Funders). I prepared to share this if any one is interested.

• @PAchukwu said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

@PAchukwu said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Every organization has a culture based on their vision and values. Its very important to imbibe the culture of the organization on the employees . When the employees understand organization culture they are more engaged and it it becomes easy for the organization to achieve their goals.

Organization culture should be part of the orientation and on-boarding training for new employees and it's also important for organizations to carry out an organization culture survey once in a while to ensure that the employees understand the culture of the organisation

I believe the best way to inculcate a culture in an organisation is through its policies, control systems and reward system. Its everyday way of doing things as per its prescribed processes should reflect its values

D
    1 Reply
  • @Ronn said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

I believe the best way to inculcate a culture in an organisation is through its policies, control systems and reward system. Its everyday way of doing things as per its prescribed processes should reflect its values

I agree with you

F
    1 Reply
  • @DavidSunday2019 said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

@Ronn said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

I agree with you

You are right
    Every culture most check always

Morning Kamila
    Was trying to find ways to send this message directly to you.
    I need my assigment 3 resetting because, I was under the impressionthat only Indicators column needed completion. If you can reset it ,
    I will submit the assignment again, if that's allowed.
    Great thanks

L
    1 Reply
  • Yes, it is so much great for this article and I can learn more from it to strengthen my leadership!

• Ethics is concerned with moral values established by, and applied within, all types of communities, including organisations.
    An effective and ethical leader has the following traits and or characteristics;
    Dignity and respectfulness: He respects others. An ethical leader should not use his followers as a medium to achieve his personal goals. He should respect their feelings, decision and values.

• This very good oganisatinion culture "feedback". However in my organisation this is very weak and I hope by the end of the course I will be abble to develop a robust feedback mechanism.

the Good News is that we we have a good culture of community sutrcture enguagement.

• As a leader you must know all your organisation structures and all their personalities.Give your self time to learn all their weekneses and strengths.Be able to engage with each and everyone of them.This will minimise your level of approach you give them.You will give them respect introspective of their weekneses and capabilities.

• Last week I submitted course assignment one, Now I want to submit assignment two, After uploading assignment two file, I review uploaded file, but still show assignment one file. How can I delete incorrect uploaded file? Please help me

L
    1 Reply
  • Any organization should have core values that drive and guide staff on their work to achieve the goals and objectives, core values are lifeline of the organization.

• @Mbagwa said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Last week I submitted course assignment one, Now I want to submit assignment two, After uploading assignment two file, I review uploaded file, but still show assignment one file. How can I delete incorrect uploaded file? Please help

Hi. You may ask the university contact! Good luck!

• @abakayoko said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Morning Kamila
    I need my assigment 3 resetting because, I was under the impressionthat only Indicators column needed completion. If you can reset it ,
    Great thanks

Thank you for the share of the article. it is an area i am extremely interested in. Have a wonderful day everyone.

1 Reply

In our organisation, we value, Complete Accountability, complete Candour, Active Collaboration, besides all we also value Transparency with gender in bracket. We always need to embrace these values for complete strengthening of Organisation, though we look at many ways of achieving all the above.

• @LouiseMats said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

@abakayoko said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Morning Kamila
    Great thanks

Thank you for the share of the article. it is an area i am extremely interested in. Have a wonderful day everyone.

OK no problem. I opened the message very late. I will be grateful if you send it to me. Thank you

• The topic is so interested, leadership is the spinal cord of all the sophisticated community. Human can not live without it. Can someone born with leadership tactics/ traits?

• @Myriam_Tapia said in Leaders and strengthening organizational culture:

Thank you!
    I think that respect is if not the most, then one of the most important values that we have.
    We need to have love and a huge amount of tolerance and patience for one another to actually make things happen and work through our differences or difficult situations that may present along the way.
    We simply treat each other as we'd like to be treated and thanks to the fact that we're really good friends- It makes things a little bit easier for us.

My name is Maverick Kaiser.
    From Ghana.
    I believe relationships foster shocks of change. It's really makes things easier for an organization to build good relationships.

• hello Peers,has any one done the first assignment so that the help me out by walking me through please.

Hello, im new here. I'm enjoying this topic, thanks kamila.

Integrity, Education, Boldness, Reliability and Empathy are values I cherished most. To internalized them into our organization culture, there is need to engage inclusiveness and constant training

• Organizational culture is very important in creating discipline among employees with this organizational goals can be realized.

• In my experience, the values that are important at our organization are integrity, accountability, and compassion. We believe in upholding the highest ethical standards, taking responsibility for our actions, and showing empathy towards those we serve.

To ensure that we are living up to these values, we have regular team meetings where we discuss and reflect on our actions and decisions. We also have a performance evaluation system that includes feedback from our colleagues and beneficiaries, which helps us identify areas for improvement.

Moreover, we have a strong leadership team that sets a positive example and holds everyone accountable for their actions. This has created a culture of trust, transparency, and continuous learning within our organization.

Personally, my experience at the ICRC has taught me the importance of having a strong organizational culture. It not only helps us stay true to our values but also enables us to work effectively as a team and deliver the best possible outcomes for those we serve.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.