Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Project governance is cardinal for the successful implementation of any project. In the organisation where I work, the project manager reports to the executive director, he has the power to make decisions about time and schedules. However, only with the consent of the executive director can he make decisions on budget and other requirements.

The project manager gives activity reports as soon as it is conducted, and a summary of weekly activity report.

The donor is also involved in project governance, sometimes there may be need to seek for the approval of the donor especially when it comes to budget and requirements.

• @Nathfem said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

As learned from module 1,the decisions in my organization are mostly made by the project manager who ofcourse reports directly to the executive director and the implementing partners or funders of the project.

Is donor involve in your project governance?

• Hello, I think a project Governance is important as it high lights the different authorities and responsibilities. It pictures out the whole system of control and makes project execution easier. So it's very important for us to define and understand this key concept in our homes or organization,and once this is establish I think things begins to move smoothly. My questions are : How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?

• On our projects, the project manager reports to the projects Assessment board of the organization. The project manager cannot change schedules and tasks without the approval of the projects Assessment board. Changes have to be discussed first

• @JASSA said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I know that project governance is very important in any project. The project governance but be established so that every member is aware of their duty, their colleagues duties. Not only that but through the project governance, a reporting system is established and the channel of communications. In project that we do, we establish project boards or executives that oversee the project. The project Manager reports directly to the project executives. from the executive level, information are then disseminated to relevant stakeholders.

I agree. Clearly established and should be cascaded down the line so that each individual knows their function and deliverables.

• In our project there is a researcher coordinator who reports to the executive director. She can adjustments to the work schedules but not the budget. The coordinator works with an assistant coordinator

• Fail to plan, plan to fail. Very essential for managers to plan well before going into field for project implementation.

• Course Facilitator

Project governance from every indication remains the cornerstone of propelling a particular project to fruition. However, what if in the team of project governance we encounter some stumbling blocs from the management team? How do we handle them?

• Course Facilitator

@JASSA, this is well develop but the one worry I have is that some projects are bilateral and can, therefore, include some individuals in the project governance rung who are not from the same context with you. Their cultural background becomes a stumbling block. How can this be managed so that cohesion remains in the team of project management?

• @AshleyNee said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organization the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

How good are you doing towards achieving your goal? and how do the team member communicate each other ?

M
    1 Reply
  • @Azzaabi87 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@AshleyNee said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organization the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

How good are you doing towards achieving your goal? and how do the team member communicate each other ?

Achieving our goals is pretty easy as we work in a known environment , where most of our members come from. The team communicates through regular or spontaneous meetings when a major event ocurs.

• I think project governance is critical. i believe the governance structure must be clear for everyone's sake so that there is no back and forth pointing of fingers when false starts happen-- because they will.

• Project governance are people who has the power change the decision, budget and These are the person or group of people with these powers are known as the project governance.

• This module is an eye opener and am am indid very glad to be here

• @Kube said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In the organization that I work for, the director is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager comes up with a weekly report on which the director gives his opinion and they put heads together to move the project forward. Major decisions that involves the possibility of the change in scope, budget or the schedule are occasionally taken to the board of directors.

Is the Director the most senior member of staff and the key decision maker?

I agree with you. The same process works out in the organization where I work except for changes in name. The project Manager reports to the Director General who reports to the Board of Trustees.

• While I agree completely with the outcomes so far, am a little dismayed that most of the organizations our organizations have worked for seem to have developed their own project design and expect the applicant to tailor his/her project application in the same direction and the implication from what zi have learned so far is that they give such an applicant room for manuvering! This is my observation, though!

• Now that we have gone through the fist and second phases in project management, what about the remaining three I.e planning,implementation and end-of-project transition? Kindly help if I missed it!

• In the place of where i work in ghana on a project the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

• I have no relevant experience , anyway having progress meeting once a month or once a week with the head of project manager will be most effective

• The governance structure in the organization I work for is pretty standard there is a managing director, who is supported by senior managers and the senior retail manager is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager is expected to produce a daily report on which the senior managers review and reflect on so as to move to make progress.

E
    A
    2 Replies
  • In our organisation the project Director is the only person that changes task thou the the program officers contributed is also accepted for such decision to be taken but the project donor are not consulted.

• How does your team organize project governance?
    in the organization of project governance, the Executive Director, project manager and Training Director form a team to draw down the project deliverable and individuals that are responsible for each task.
    In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to?
    He take direction instruction from the executive Director and the Director of Training.
    What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    The Project Manager is responsible to make decisions that is best in the interest of the implementation of the project and in line with the project schedule and budget.

• @Luntha said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Gustaff said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In our project set up the Project Manager Reports to the Project Steering Committee also known as project review board. The project manager calls for a project review board meeting monthly or at an agreed interval to give progress or present any requests for change. Emergency changes may require calling for an emergency project review board meeting

What decisions can the Project Manager take without consulting the Project Steering Committee and in the case of emergency meetings how long does this process take for a decision to be made?

I just finished the module 1 and found it very informative. Is anybody guide me how WBS is practiced on MS project?

• While project managers are important people, there are usually certain decisions that even they are not allowed to make. Changes to the budget, schedule, or scope are usually on this list. That is why it is important to decide early on who is responsible for these kinds of decisions. The person or group of people with these powers are known as the project governance.

There are many forms of project governance. A large organization with many stakeholders may create a project governance board: a group of leaders and stakeholders who make big decisions together. Smaller organizations may assign a single person to govern a project—often a director or other leader.
    However project governance is structured, it is important that the structure is documented officially in the project charter and discussed in detail. The project manager should have an in-depth discussion with the project governance about exactly what they are allowed to do, who will be held accountable if something goes wrong, and how changes to the project charter will be made.
    To keep the smooth running of the project and avoid risks , the project manager needs to update key stakeholders of the project on frequent basis. This will keep everyone (from top level project leaders down to labourers) in line to the Project Goals/Objectives/Aim.

The governance structure in the organization I work for is pretty standard there is a managing director, who is supported by senior managers and the senior retail manager is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager is expected to produce a daily report on which the senior managers review and reflect on so as to move to make progress.

@Fkarmoo1 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The donor is update on the progress of the project quarterly

@Fkarmoo1 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The donor is update on the progress of the project quarterly

Don' forget to update the labourers too. Human resource will be more efficient if they get a picture of what's going on so that they can know what should be achieved; or how far is the finishing line for the project. Consulting their opinion could also help in the smooth running of the project. avoiding hiccups and delays.

• Where I am working for, there are a several project manegers who attend the projects by disciplines or subjects. Those Project managers have to meet every week with the Director to report how the project is going on. Minor adjustments in the chronogram activities can be performed by the Project manager. However, if there are budget or important changes in the chronogram, those have to be discussed with the board of directors.

• Usually there is Country Management Team head by country.. In head department there is head. at field level there is project coordinator who is managing project at field level assisted by head of section at field level. Project coordinator report to country director on daily basis. Head of section at field level report to there respective head of department at country level. All decisions approved by country director.

• On our project, the Project Manager reports to the Operations Manager and the Country Director and he is allowed to change the schedule of the project at any time.

• I have not been directly involved in delivering projects before now. However, I have come to understand the importance of Project governance in Any project.
    I think Project governance would be taken very important, and should be agreed on before take off of any project.

• On our project there is a project governance structure in the way of AP manager, CPO manager, RA, Operations director and National director. Through such structure both AP and CPO managers mainly focus on implementations and the rest RA and operations director will approve decisions and the National director will approve some higher decisions.

• hello everyone
    there are many forms of project governance. a large organization with many stakeholders may create a project governance board -: a group of leaders and stakeholders who m make important decisions together.

smaller organizations may assign a single person to be in charge of a project,a director or other leader. project governance is structured, it is important that the structure is documented officially in the project charter and discussed in detail about exactly what they are allowed to do,who will be accountable if something goes wrong and how changes to the project charter will be made.

regards anona
    zimbabwe

• @Yarkpazuo said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Our project manager reports to the project Country Director. The project manager is authorized to implement the scope of the project. He is allowed to change the schedule in line with the Director notice. The manager reports on a monthly basis to the country Director.

what role does the sponsor play

• What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    A project manager is a person who has the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project
    Project managers frequently find themselves making, or at least influencing crucial decisions.Decisions may be as simple quick ones that are limited to one department
    A project manager is a person who is responsible for making decisions, both large and small. The project manager should make sure they control risk and minimise uncertainty. Every decision the project manager makes must directly benefit their project

• Hi Sir/ Madam
    I wish have all my lessons in a PDF format which I can be able to download and print it out.

• Most organizations fail to uplift and make a project a reality when they engage in poor governance. Project governance streamlines the system of a given organization and everyone gets clear on the core goals embeded.

• Board of Directors

• Well, To maintain the schedule reporting about the task can in mid-level should be in week basis or half-month. But in base-level worker should report daily. It may be oral. But the project manager should take note about it to make the report in higher level. A project manager should be authorized to relocate the human resource , immediate cash relocation and punishment for failing task in work to worker. This is the way of mine.

Now my question is in some project governance structure project manager is not allowed to make punishment or any relocating activity about money or resource? What is the reason behind it?

• I think in this course, the project manager has a lot to do in the project. He/she the pillar of the project. He/she reports to the Executive Director or the staff all the outcomes of the project .
    The project manager can change schedule, budget and scope in common ground with the Executive Director or the staff.
    All the components of this module are very important for me.

• I want to know the synonyms of schedule and scope please.

• I have mistakenly uploaded the wrong file for my assignment. How can i do please?

• @awyndham said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

This is the module 1 discussion. You may participate in this discussion once you have begun module 1.

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    Find at least one post that you are curious to learn more about. Reply to that post by asking a clarifying question.
    Everything is superb that you have include in module
    Example post: On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?
    I dont work for Organiztion so i don't have Idea.

On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

I know that project governance is very important in any project. The project governance but be established so that every member is aware of their duty, their colleagues duties. Not only that but through the project governance, a reporting system is established and the channel of communications. In project that we do, we establish project boards or executives that oversee the project. The project Manager reports directly to the project executives. from the executive level, information are then disseminated to relevant stakeholders.

I am HABA Jean from Guinea Conakry west Afrique, I did management in school but this course is giving me good idea. The projet governance is very important but In my country all the project they undertook fail, they over budget and they don't respect the project deadline.
    I am delighted in joining this noble team and hope to learn better ideas moving forward. My goal for this course is to get additional and added value knowledge and skills on program management to deliver the most desired services to the society where the organization is implementing programes on humanitarian and development aspect.

R
    1 Reply

This is the module 1 discussion. You may participate in this discussion once you have begun module 1.

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    Find at least one post that you are curious to learn more about. Reply to that post by asking a clarifying question.

Example post: On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?

Project governance is most essential in any Organization because through this the Project manager is able to report to the senior executives. it enables the team set in the organization to accomplish certain project in a schedule, scope and budgetary set in the project charters.

• Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.
    In a word, it’s good project management. This is a person or group of people who are responsible for certain project decisions.
    This says the project manager or project leader to achieve the project scope within a specified time frame with a defined budget. He must therefore surround himself with competent people who understand the project in order to better carry out the tasks entrusted to them with the knowledge of the project charter. The project manager will be able to make decisions, but in some cases he or she would be required to refer to the project governance for which he or she is responsible.

• Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.
    In a word, it’s good project management. This is a person or group of people who are responsible for certain project decisions.
    This says the project manager or project leader to achieve the project scope within a specified time frame with a defined budget. He must therefore surround himself with competent people who understand the project in order to better carry out the tasks entrusted to them with the knowledge of the project charter. The project manager will be able to make decisions, but in some cases he or she would be required to refer to the project governance for which he or she is responsible.

• @Mawusi said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Let not forget that all projects are not the same and not manage the same way, hence the governance on each project are never the same.
    It is very importance that you understand the nature of your project and the reporting hierarchy.

Good job guys.

great contribution, the projects differ from one organization to another hence the governance is set different, in most cases the project manager reports to the senior executives or Director of the organization.
    Great point there.

• Am so excited I made such an excellent grade in my WBS going by our module 1 homework! It was interesting!

• hello learners

Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.

Hi. How do you organize teams so that there is minimum overlap of duties?

• Project governance is a critical elements of any project, since the accountabilities and responsibilities associated with an organization's business as usual activities are laid down in their organizational arrangements. It is important to confuse project governance with project management. Project governance looks to increase the success rate of a project. It provides a way for directors and senior managers to ensure their strategies are implemented and accountability is taken.
    My experience as one of the project management team in one of the organizations I had been privileged to work with some years ago was that; the Chief Consultant otherwise called president was the only person assigned to govern the project in the organization. Nobody can alter any aspect of the project charter even the Deputy Chief Consultant dare not attempt to change any aspect of the project. It is the prerogative of the Chief Consultant to govern the project.

• In our organization, the project manager reports to the managing trustee since that is the focal point for all information. The project manager heads the project team and act as the link between the team and the management. The project manager ensures all resources needed for the project implementation are available and also in charge development of project update reports. The project manager gives the report phase has been completed and which most of the time is a duration of three months or agreed in during project update meetings
    Mostly i have developed interest in testing the likelihood of the project to prosper and even monitoring the progress of the project as planned.

• In my organisation, there is no established porfportf as project manager. There is a project supervisor that ensures physical works are carried out according to specifications. A project monitoring team ensures that the various work breakdowns are followed through by the contractor under the supervision of of the project supervisor. The project monitoring team reports progress as well as recommendations to the Chief Executive through the Ditector.

• The project manager on our organization reports to the managing trustee. He/she is charged with the overall coordination of the project of activities and head the project team. The project manager is also charged with development of project update reports especially at the end of one phase.
    Most of the time i got interested in the testing of the prosperity of the project especially the one withe business component and also monitoring how activities are implemented in relation to how they were planned

On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

• When looking for a Project Manager what basic qualifications must they possess?

E
    1 Reply
  • On our E-HELP project, the project lead reports to the Project director of the organization (SMART Managers) . The project lead can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the project director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

• Some organisation use a committee to refer to Project governance. A committee known as "Project Steering Committee" serves as the governance structure for a project and take major decisions regarding the project

• In my organization the project manager reports to the Head of the Department. the project manager's limits only lies with requesting additional budget. Should additional funding be required, they will need to seek this from the Head of the Department who will then review and dispense if absolutely necessary.

The governance structure in the organization I work for is pretty standard there is a managing director, who is supported by senior managers and the senior retail manager is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager is expected to produce a daily report on which the senior managers review and reflect on so as to move to make progress.

How does the Project Manager request additional funding should it be required?

1 Reply
  • In Some project it through a Change request or change proposal.
    However most project have communication procedures for request for additional funds.

It is advised to always put in this procedure in writing when a project is about to begin.

• hey guys nice to meech yoall

• In my Project, Project manager report to technical team leader who reports to the Director. The Director is the one who could make decisions. The Project manager could only change the activities.

• In our project, we have project steering committee which is governance body of the project. There are quarterly steering committe meeting in which important governance issues are discussed.

• this is a very insightful course

• I ENJOYED THIS TOPIC. PROJECT GOVERNANCE. Although i was started late

• IS THIS FAIR?!

I was in charge of a team for a class project. We report to our teacher. There were basically 2 main phases for our team, collecting feedback data & analyzing & evaluating the results. The first phase was easy even for simpletons. The next phase we had a volunteer to do the entire phase & everyone had agreed. Later on that person said they couldn't do the work &, of course, all the work was dumped on me at the last minute. Why? Because no one else was qualified to do it. I had to complete that phase hours before the deadline. The lousy 'volunteer' even suggested we cheat since the number of feedback was less than expected. I refused obviously. I lead & did 80% of the total work. I failed the course & the lousy cheater-to-be, with min attendance & performance & little/no inelegance passed. I am A+ material & the teacher knows that. I burned out the day of the deadline & couldn't attend the final the next day. My mark was 45.

Is this just? Should the teacher have given me at least 5 marks just to let me pass?! Why should useless & untalented people pass of the backs of the talented? Why should we even be put together in the same team?! They will drag everything down!

• @haba84 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@JASSA said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I am HABA Jean from Guinea Conakry west Afrique, I did management in school but this course is giving me good idea. The projet governance is very important but In my country all the project they undertook fail, they over budget and they don't respect the project deadline.
    I am delighted in joining this noble team and hope to learn better ideas moving forward. My goal for this course is to get additional and added value knowledge and skills on program management to deliver the most desired services to the society where the organization is implementing programes on humanitarian and development aspect.

May God be with you!

• Response to Project Governance
    My team does this by organizing meetings to discuss on who handles what. Structure is more like from CEO-COO-Project Coordinator- Team Members. The project manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer. The project manager is allowed to make decisions as touching the project scope and schedule.

• In our Projects, the Project manager reports to the President of our Organisation. He/She can change teams, Time Schedule and Budget. Meanwhile our President reports to the board and depending on the donor contract but most times they are part of the Project Governance

• @BM said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

When looking for a Project Manager what basic qualifications must they possess?

They must Posses a degree in the field they intend to manage. i.e if the project is a health related project, they should have a health related qualification, in addition to Project Management Certification, Experience, and Skills such as Communication, Leadership etc.

• the project governance is very important as it takes the most important decisions and project manager is supposed to see the governance whenever it comes to taking vital decisions.

• In our organization, the chief Administration Officer is the one in charge of all the activities. Our Director of planning is just in charge of the planning section. All changes and final decisions are made by the Chief Administration Officer.

• I guess it's upon the team. If the director or other members of governance team wants the donor be in their team then yes s/he will be a part of governance team.

• I've just learnt what project governance is all about, never heard of that before now. Thanks to the organizers and I've really learnt a lot just from module one can't wait to see what module two has for me

• I understood to the project governance is the rationalization of authorities to each level involved in project. In reality, my organization the governance is controlled by the Director. She Tried to be dominated over organization. Project governance is not only seeing in project charter but also can use it monthly work plan for each staff. I can say it because charter shows only the main activities. In monthly work plan, you can see who have to do what activities and who is the governance of that activities.

• In my organization, the director is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager fills in a weekly report template on activities and has weekly discussions with the director on slight changes in scope, budget and schedules. The ultimate decision to allow these changes falls with the Project Director. For major changes however, the director discusses with the board and reverts to the project manager. The project manager then cascades the information to the rest of the team.

• On the project that I am working on, there is a project management steering committee that has oversight of the project. The project implementing unit (PIU) reports to the steering committee bi-annually and the committee makes strategic decisions regarding the achievement of the intended objective. the PIU makes operational decisions regarding the day to day managing of the project.

This is a good System that will surely enable the Project go Forward. Though I do not think that every member of the Project should really know what each Project Boards or Executives' responsibilities are.

• @jlg said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I think it's important to note that, in many projects, the flexibility that an organization has may depend on the requirements of the donor. For example, a USGovernment donor may allow budget line flexibility of 10%, but beyond that, it's necessary to seek their approval/an amendment to the agreement. I think knowing of any donor requirements is a good starting point from which you can then define who has what authority within a project.

Hi, I am a fresh graduate and unemployed so i am not affiliated to any organization but i would like to know if a "donor" is an external indivivual or an organization who contributes to a project in terms of funds or a "donor" could be an individual in the organisation?

• @Yarkpazuo said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Our project manager reports to the project Country Director. The project manager is authorized to implement the scope of the project. He is allowed to change the schedule in line with the Director notice. The manager reports on a monthly basis to the country Director.

How does the hierarchical structure affect the flow of events surrounding the execution of the project?

• @Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In the organization that I work for, the director is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager comes up with a weekly report on which the director gives his opinion and they put heads together to move the project forward. Major decisions that involves the possibility of the change in scope, budget or the schedule are occasionally taken to the board of directors.

How does the hierarchical structure affect the flow of events surrounding the execution of the project?

• on our projects,project manager reports to the project board.

• The product manager reports to the Project board,and has no permission to change the budget.the project manager can change schedules and task after informing the project board.

• @Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

With the weekly reports

@Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I find this interesting and very important With these weekly reports that the project manager comes up with, is there a weekly workplan or schedule that the director is aware of? Are other project members aware of the report being given to the director?

• Definitely, the project manager should give udapate reports to the directors (weekly or montly) according to advancement and conditions of the project and also according to designed period to ends the project.

A
    1 Reply
  • The project manager will report to the project director, the project manager, can change the scope and schedule but accountable for failure. He will only inform the director regarding changes with proper justifications. If there is no authority then it will hard to implement the project.
    The Project Manager will weekly update the project director and can also meet on need basis for the successful of the project. The success of project will depend on the coordination and coordination of the Project Team.

• Project manager reports directly to the management of the organization and they in turn reports to donors. The project is given authority relating to that all aspect of the project are Carrie out effectively, decision on changes in scope of the projext, budget are taken by projext governance team

• @Nizou said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Definitely, the project manager should give udapate reports to the directors (weekly or montly) according to advancement and conditions of the project and also according to designed period to ends the project.

You are right

• In my NGO the Project Manager reports to the Operations Director or the CEO, due to the setup of the project, the manager is able to make most decisions within the perameters laid out, changes to budget must go the supervisor, deadlines not met must be communicated before the deadline passes with a clear explanation

• In my institution -the Sierra Leone Roads Authority (SLRA), the project manager reports to the director general. The project manager can challenge schedules and tasks for for project funded by government, but they need to get the permission of the director general to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements. For project funded by the ministry of finance, the minister's approval is required and project funded by Road Maintenance Fund Administration (RMFA), the CEO approval is required.

The project manager give update to the director general on a monthly or quarterly basis. For government projects were donors are involved, the project manager cannot challenged the schedule and tasks as they need to get the permission of the donor to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements if possible.

• In our organisation, all decisions regarding the change in scope are made by the relevant Head of Department and Head of Project Development who were both responsible for the initial design of the project. Any changes to the budget and schedule must, however, be run past our in-country Director of Programmes and Operations who makes the final decision on these. Members of the project teams meet on a weekly basis to discuss the progress of project activities and the Director of Programmes and Operations is updated on a monthly basis.

• @Mba said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organisation, the Program manager is allowed to make any changes in a project implementation. However, he shoud report any change to the board of directors. Meanwhile, the PM and the M&E officer should agree before any change is reported to the BoD and made.

This is a great approach to project governance. Involving the M&E Officer before any decision is made is something that is often missed out in other organisations. I'm curious - does the PM directly manage the M&E Officer or do they work side-by-side to implement the project?

M
    1 Reply

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance

In my own organisation (The Liberals), the project manager is responsible for the management of a project and he/she is reportable to the board of directors who are the policy formulators and signal the worthiness of any project being undertaken by the project manager.

One of the foci of the community based organisations with which I work is "Community Health", specifically in the area of advocacy against dumping of refuse in the drainage system and fumigation of waterways.
    The project manager draws the WBS and submits to the project governance for approval. He gives monthly progressive report to the board and he is empowered to make flexible decisions as long as it does not change the scope, task and schedules of the project.

• @zuzannapogorzelska said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Mba said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organisation, the Program manager is allowed to make any changes in a project implementation. However, he shoud report any change to the board of directors. Meanwhile, the PM and the M&E officer should agree before any change is reported to the BoD and made.

This is a great approach to project governance. Involving the M&E Officer before any decision is made is something that is often missed out in other organisations. I'm curious - does the PM directly manage the M&E Officer or do they work side-by-side to implement the project?

They work side by side and in my organisation and both report to the Director. Anyway, their monthly reports and combined.

• How does the project manager disseminate the feedback that he/she gets from the director to the rest of departments?

• The Project Manager reports to the Country Director and the Country Director reports to the project's Head Quarters(HQ) of the organization. The Project Manager is entitled to change tasks and schedules but the project's funds are been managed by the country director. For approval of budgets requests, is the duty of both project manager and the country director to apply their signature before funds can be release to the requester from the accounts office.

The project manager reports to the country director every two weeks(bi-weekly) after gathering all reports from each departments since He's the Supervisor to all the head supervisors and at the end of the month, the country manager calls for a board meeting which comprises all the head's of the various department and tackle the issues at hand and also look at the way forward.

• On my case, I am very often the Project Manager depending on the Project that we are doing for our Organization. I always report to the CEO, who reports to the Board Members. The CEO told me about the idea of the project and I define all the activities and we work together to redifine some aspects of the project. I can not take big decisions about the budget but I usually proposed to review the budget

• In our organization project manager reports to excecutive director project manager has the authority to alter the budget to alimited percentage of 2% of the total cost the project beyond 2% the manager has seek the permission from the project governance

• It is very important that roles are shared in any meaning organization that needs to succeed in its struggle or development. Likewise, as important as project managers in the organizations are, it is equally important that in any such organizations, we have superiors that a project manager needs to report to in the success and failure of the ongoing project. These superiors are the directors who are above the position, weight and power to which a project manager can execute, thus, a project manager must take a permission from the directors. Therefore, reporting the ongoing project to them become must. This helps to alert the team to provide a quality deliverable during and after the project in case if there are hitches somewhere along the line. Even if there are, the decisions are with the directors who could also seek the advice of the project manager to some extent.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.