Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising

Will my volunteering institution grow if I attach financial cost to my volunteers to volunteers for institutions and also attached a fee for people to volunteer with my institution?

C
    N
    A
    7 Replies
  • @menub said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

Will my volunteering institution grow if I attach financial cost to my volunteers to volunteers for institutions and also attached a fee for people to volunteer with my institution?

That is a good question @Menub! I wonder what others ( @all ) here think?

S
    1 Reply
  • I think it depends on a whole lots of factors like the quality of volunteers, and the peculiarity of the volunteering need. Ultimately, you may have to look for your best possible outcome with this approach and your worst scenario, and take it from there. Thanks.

• @mark_g said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

@menub said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

That is a good question @Menub! I wonder what others ( @all ) here think?

I think it would be fine to attach nominal financial cost.

I believe so Menub. I have met people who are willing to pay to volunteer for an organization as long as they understand the value of doing so. Work experience, networking and personal growth are just a few reasons I can think of right now.

• Course Facilitator

@menub Many classmates might say "Yes" or "It depends". Seems from your question that you are running a volunteering institution? Would you like to introduce it a little bit more so that others might give a more informed response?

• i'm from Nigeria and when most people opt in to volunteer, they are always after what they'll be paid, so most times its hard to ask them to pay. however, this decision is dependent on your environment and the caliber of those in your team.

• Course Facilitator

Well in this part of the world, Nigeria, people can be a little bit skeptical about being volunteers and contributing funds as well. I think it is better to source for both independently as I perceive these two may not match up with a single individual's personality. However stating the values, objectives and having recommendations from people with high integrity could go a long a way in achieving success. I also think you should start from within your circle of friends, family and colleagues at work or school to be a part of your fundraising campaign and volunteers, they would probably propagate it well if they are optimistic about what you set out to achieve .

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@aduks said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

Well in this part of the world, Nigeria, people can be a little bit skeptical about being volunteers and contributing funds as well. I think it is better to source for both independently as I perceive these two may not match up with a single individual's personality. However stating the values, objectives and having recommendations from people with high integrity could go a long a way in achieving success. I also think you should start from within your circle of friends, family and colleagues at work or school to be a part of your fundraising campaign and volunteers, they would probably propagate it well if they are optimistic about what you set out to achieve .

in kenya for volunteers to pay some fee to volunteer in your organisation,your organisation must have grown to a certain level where it has created a reputation for itself , and the perceived value the organisation will add to the volunteer,if someone knows that by volunteering in your organisation your recommendation will boost their CV they will agree to pay for it. however you will need to come out clearly on what you mean by attaching financial cost to your volunteers.

• Firstly, all organization incurs cost in running their activities, even the people as part of their operation. It's a matter of mindset and perspective among volunteers and leaders in the organization how will they see (just to give an example)operational expenses of the staff (being reimbursed or paid by the organization as a matter of policy )in contrast to principles of volunteerism.

• I believe that this may not work due to the fact that some people may volunteer with the expectation that they will receive something in return not the other way around.

• I think it depends with the context. For instance, in my years of working, Europe is more open to pay for volunteering than Africa or Asia. It is also the value people place in the volunteering work and economic status. In Asia and Africa, most graduates are looking to find a source of income and not be the ones to pay, most may not even have the means to pay. Whilst in Europe it is almost a requirement to have this experience and also the government structures provide support for people such that they are able to volunteer and not worry about basic needs.

R
    1 Reply
  • If it involves financila cost then that wont be termed as volunteerism,it will be something else for someone to pay you so as to volunteer to your institution.I think for Africa especially in my country Tanzania this won't work out.Here people volunteer so as to gain experience freely not for money because they work for the institution without being paid in substitute of gaining experience

i think that is losing focus of the reason for the organization. What if i want to volunteer but i cannot afford to contribute what happens then? what is that is the only way to keep me from being delinquent and to encourage me to strive for better? Maybe i have a family member or friend that was affected by the cause that your organization supports and that is the only way i can support them in their journey

• @Menub
    In our experience, just like what @ebukailoh commented , when volunteers are paid better result are gotten from communities/people. It also provides some form of motivation.

• @phyllis_m said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

I think it depends with the context. For instance, in my years of working, Europe is more open to pay for volunteering than Africa or Asia. It is also the value people place in the volunteering work and economic status. In Asia and Africa, most graduates are looking to find a source of income and not be the ones to pay, most may not even have the means to pay. Whilst in Europe it is almost a requirement to have this experience and also the government structures provide support for people such that they are able to volunteer and not worry about basic needs.

I support that 100% volunteers toohave other responsibilities like basic needs and they need some payment to cater for the needs.

• Haha, really and may God forbade the voluntarism topic; Personally, a volunteer is one who is willing and ready to render his/her services freely with no hidden agenda of expecting something in return of the same. Volunteer in most cases, they're not qualified to serve independently but with a close supervision of the one in charge, and why should they be paid when they're the ones to gain experiences from the sponsoring organization. For those qualified yes, something for transport and maybe the accommodation if the organization is capable. We shouldn't be very money mind-oriented when it comes to giving back to the society or else we'll kill the spirit of voluntarism in the name of basic needs. Our number one basic needs out there should be gained skills, exposure, and exchange culture forthwith, and in the end, we become more competent professionally. What else?

I
    1 Reply

I think it depends on an agreement that follows cause there a lot of institutions that attach financial cost to their volunteers and it works perfectly alright. it will grow awesomely cause of the fee.

S
    1 Reply

@Menub Attaching a fee to enable people volunteer for your institution is a very tall order you must think through. Firstly, before you make such unpopular move, you must stay honest and true to yourself by answering this questions reflexively; 1. What quality benefit will i get if i volunteer 2. Is the benefit commensurable with the fee i pay to volunteer 3. Why am i paying to volunteer 4. what is this institution offering different from others that i will have to pay to volunteer 5. Is this worth it.........................................Secondly for those already volunteers, the reflexive question then will be thus; 1. Why must i incur a cost on a cause that doesn't provide any monetary benefits or incentive motivation to volunteers. @Mark_G @kamilla

• This is an interesting question and I wish I could learn more about your organization before answering. In any case, there are many organizations that give their donors a choice – to donate money, donate a skill or to donate precious time (the time, talent and treasure motto). I think if you require volunteers to donate before they get involved, you may limit the number of people who will participate. However - I know several people who paid for an entire vacation (someday I hope to do it, too) in order to volunteer overseas so it depends on what type of project you’re asking people to do. Also, you might try requiring Board members to donate a certain dollar amount as part of their service to the non-profit; this sets a good example to donors, volunteers and staff, as far as I can tell.

• From my experience I think Volunteers will deliver better when they are paid stipends to enable them have transport fare and feeding to go into communities and work. Money is a motivator which is a fact because I have worked with Volunteers for a while and discovered I got better results and huge achievement when my volunteers are paid. So the money may just be little but they feel happier when paid.

• It sounds as a good question, I think in African context if you want volunteers to pay for volunteering program it becomes a challenging task since most of graduates after university life are trying to secure a place where they can volunteer for free but yet it is a challenging activity since most of employers do not remember if these volunteers have their basic necessities. Employers totally forget them hence they become discouraged at working places since they lack important services. I would advice you to establish your volunteering institution but do not force volunteers to pay for volunteering rather try to seek some donors who could help your institution to give volunteers some stipends in monthly basis. This can attract several volunteers in your institution as some proponents of employee motivation say that despite of all other motivators at working places, money is the best motivator.

N
    1 Reply
  • @allen_yusto said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

It sounds as a good question, I think in African context if you want volunteers to pay for volunteering program it becomes a challenging task since most of graduates after university life are trying to secure a place where they can volunteer for free but yet it is a challenging activity since most of employers do not remember if these volunteers have their basic necessities. Employers totally forget them hence they become discouraged at working places since they lack important services. I would advice you to establish your volunteering institution but do not force volunteers to pay for volunteering rather try to seek some donors who could help your institution to give volunteers some stipends in monthly basis. This can attract several volunteers in your institution as some proponents of employee motivation say that despite of all other motivators at working places, money is the best motivator.

I have experience volunteering with an organization I truly believe it. @ Lindsay as a Board Member , I contributed time (over 30 hours per wk) ,talent ( administrative and accounting work) and treasure ( monthly member fees and own expense paid overseas and locally to do charity work) for 2 years without compensation. However, after the set term limit of 2 years, I decide I need a stipend to continue the value contribution I was making as most of the other volunteers where not committed to doing the work I had done , it was refused by the President & Founder of the organization and supported by the Board members.
    With my experience as a volunteer , I know to keep volunteers motivated and committed it is best to attached some form of compensation especially in our region of the world. However, effectively managing the organisation's resources is key to a enduring and sustainable venture so volunteer compensation is should not be more than 2-3% of the overall organizations expenditure

• follows@akuachubby said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

@menub said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

I think it depends on an agreement that follows cause there a lot of institutions that attach financial cost to their volunteers and it works perfectly alright. it will grow awesomely cause of the fee.

I too think it all depends on the agreement that follows.

• @kcsds said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

Haha, really and may God forbade the voluntarism topic; Personally, a volunteer is one who is willing and ready to render his/her services freely with no hidden agenda of expecting something in return of the same. Volunteer in most cases, they're not qualified to serve independently but with a close supervision of the one in charge, and why should they be paid when they're the ones to gain experiences from the sponsoring organization. For those qualified yes, something for transport and maybe the accommodation if the organization is capable. We shouldn't be very money mind-oriented when it comes to giving back to the society or else we'll kill the spirit of voluntarism in the name of basic needs. Our number one basic needs out there should be gained skills, exposure, and exchange culture forthwith, and in the end, we become more competent professionally. What else?

Well, i think giving back to society kind of differ from actual volunteering. In the latter you are giving services,skills,talent or what have you to area you have not benefited from, but like the usual public relations thing, organizations often give back to the society just a little of what they ha

• @Menub said in Attaching a cost to voluntarism for fundraising:

Volunteering is all about giving back to the community. It is based on the the principle of donating time and energy for the benefit of other people in the community as a social responsibility rather than for any financial reward

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.