Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018

Hello everyone!

Let's continue our weekly tradition of welcoming all of our new members in the Nigeria Community of Practice! We have 79 new members!

New members: welcome! We are thrilled that you have joined us. We hope that you will use this Community as a unique place to connect with others from around the country who are doing great work. This is a fantastic place to ask questions, discuss ideas, and build a network. Please reply to this thread and tell us:

1: What brings you to Philanthropy University and to this Community of Practice?

2: What is the biggest issue you think is facing the country today?

3: Anything else you would like to tell us :)

Returning members ( @all ) : Please welcome our new members by replying to their posts and engaging with them in discussions! Let's make sure everyone feels welcome and let's begin collaborating.

Welcome everyone! So great to have you here!

C
    F
    U
    4 Replies
  • @mark_g said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hello everyone!

Let's continue our weekly tradition of welcoming all of our new members in the Nigeria Community of Practice! We have 79 new members!

New members: welcome! We are thrilled that you have joined us. We hope that you will use this Community as a unique place to connect with others from around the country who are doing great work. This is a fantastic place to ask questions, discuss ideas, and build a network. Please reply to this thread and tell us:

1: What brings you to Philanthropy University and to this Community of Practice?

Returning members ( @all ) : Please welcome our new members by replying to their posts and engaging with them in discussions! Let's make sure everyone feels welcome and let's begin collaborating.

Welcome to all 79 new members.

• Hi Mark,

Do you or anyone here by chance have any report that highlights the reasons why there are out-of-school children in Nigeria? And why it keeps growing?

I'm sure most state government naow make schools free. Why would the parents withdraw or not enroll the children in free schools?

I really need answers to this

C
    1 Reply

Hello everyone!

Came to learn new ways of problem solving in order to be a better manager.
    Poor resource management at all levels
    Looking forward to partnerships, no matter how small it may be.

D
    1 Reply
  • @vicman said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hi Mark,

Do you or anyone here by chance have any report that highlights the reasons why there are out-of-school children in Nigeria? And why it keeps growing?

I'm sure most state government naow make schools free. Why would the parents withdraw or not enroll the children in free schools?

I really need answers to this

The most reasonable answer will be the fact that parents of the low socioeconomic class still have many children with limited resources to meet up with pressing needs; including education, food, shelter, and health.
    Yes, state governments made primary education free; the problem lies in the fact that there are little or no infrastructure(manpower, staff salaries, seats, accommodation, writing materials, etc.) to support such projects.

• HI Mark,
    the answer to your question still borders around poverty. Some children can"t join others in class because they help their parents or custodians provide means of livelihood by way of hawking. some are being sent away to serve as maids to either known or unknown people to their families who in turn pay them. parents that indulge in such practices include those that have little or no form of education, therefore have very minimal value for it.

• @chukwurah said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@mark_g said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hello everyone!

Came to learn new ways of problem solving in order to be a better manager.
    Poor resource management at all levels
    Looking forward to partnerships, no matter how small it may be.

1: To learn leadership/managerial and other skills to make me more competent in all my endeavors .
    2: Bad governance that has brought about much poverty in the land
    3:Looking forward to partnerships, being contacted for voluntary services or adhoc duties where applicable.

• Hi Mark,
    It is really obvious that our resources in Nigeria is not distributed equitably. One significant example is the rate of out of school children is on the increase. The leadership cares less of the future of their youths. A lot can be attributed to this anomaly.

1. Poor income is a key factor. Many people do not have job and those that have are underpaid. Most of the time salary are not paid as at when due.
      At a minimum wage of 18,000 naira hardly could parents meet up their needs
    2. Many children. Parents with kids that their income could not carry turn out their children into money making venture instead of sending them to school. eg Street Hawking
    3. psychologically many graduates in Nigeria are not employed. It is a hard pill to swallow by friends , relatives etc. Such outcome affect people that majority do not see need in sending their children to school. To them it is better that the learn trade than wasting resources on them at the end of the day they are hardly independent of their parents.
    O
    1 Reply
  • @Mark_G hello all, i have to agree with you well in addition most parent paren most especially in the north within environments and some local governments most of them careless as to weather their children go to school or not but rather prefers them to hawk for them. For example where i studied my university you find out that almost all the small girls (they call them yarinya girls) there,at their young age speaks of boy friend or marriage they don't even speak of school, painting their face just to attract attention. And the parent instead of them to notice the attitude or behavior, all they care is whether their item is sold or not.

• Welcome and thank you for posting! @Mawusi @Vicman @Chukwurah @Dodo @Kemas @Ummy

It is wonderful to have you here and hear your thoughts!

@Vicman your post about children being out of school being such a big problem for the country is quite interesting. Thank you for asking the group that question!

@Chukwurah @Dodo @Kemas and @Ummy all gave really thoughtful answers. @all do others have ideas or thoughts they want to contribute? What do you think of the answers that @Chukwurah @Dodo @Kemas and @Ummy provided?

Let's discuss!

• @kemas said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hi Mark,
    It is really obvious that our resources in Nigeria is not distributed equitably. One significant example is the rate of out of school children is on the increase. The leadership cares less of the future of their youths. A lot can be attributed to this anomaly.

1. Poor income is a key factor. Many people do not have job and those that have are underpaid. Most of the time salary are not paid as at when due.
    2. Many children. Parents with kids that their income could not carry turn out their children into money making venture instead of sending them to school. eg Street Hawking
    3. psychologically many graduates in Nigeria are not employed. It is a hard pill to swallow by friends , relatives etc. Such outcome affect people that majority do not see need in sending their children to school. To them it is better that the learn trade than wasting resources on them at the end of the day they are hardly independent of their parents.

Nice piece Bro...... What we run in Nigeria 🇳🇬 is not LEADERSHIP is Ruler ship They rule us Instead..... What we really need comes 2019 is LEADER

GOD BLESS NIGERIA 🇳🇬

M
    1 Reply

Hello everyone!

Welcome everyone

• @oyetoro said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@kemas said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hi Mark,

Nice piece Bro...... What we run in Nigeria 🇳🇬 is not LEADERSHIP is Ruler ship They rule us Instead..... What we really need comes 2019 is LEADER

GOD BLESS NIGERIA 🇳🇬

Well, with reference to the statement " most graduates are not employed .. There is need for us as youths in this nation to shift from seeking employment to creating employment. This eventually will give us the power required to move our country from rulership to leadership.
    My thoughts.

J
    1 Reply
  • @motungongul said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@oyetoro said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@kemas said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Hi Mark,

GOD BLESS NIGERIA 🇳🇬

Well, with reference to the statement " most graduates are not employed .. There is need for us as youths in this nation to shift from seeking employment to creating employment. This eventually will give us the power required to move our country from rulership to leadership.
    My thoughts.

I must say this is a brilliant massage. I can now see and to work hard known that i have people who share in common things that matter most to the society. Transformation and Building of good public images in redemption to the past mistakes in Identifying who we are. In recognizing I AM SORRY FOR MY PAST MISTAKE after recognizing who we are. But we the young ones need to rebrand ourselves in good leadership participation to have a healthy leadership system of governance.

• Nice piece on point

• Good day everyone. It is nice been here. Can some please let me know What should I focus on to develop Adolescents in my community

U
    1 Reply
  • @earlymandipo said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Good day everyone. It is nice been here. Can some please let me know What should I focus on to develop Adolescents in my community

@Earlymandipo Good day all. In reaponse to your question i will say: By engaging the in income generated activities.

E
    1 Reply

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the community, welcome to the discussion forum where we generate different ideas and share opinions. To the new student it's good to have you here and i do hope we all going learn and benefit from each other.
    Thank You.

• @ummy said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@earlymandipo said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

Good day everyone. It is nice been here. Can some please let me know What should I focus on to develop Adolescents in my community

@Earlymandipo Good day all. In reaponse to your question i will say: By engaging the in income generated activities.

Can you please give me few list of such program or activities

U
    1 Reply
  • @earlymandipo said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@ummy said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@Earlymandipo
    They are:
    1.Food Processing
    2.Tailoring

1. Shoe making.
      4.Cooking etc
    1 Reply
  • @ummy said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@ummy said in Weekly Welcome: Nigeria – 8 OCT 2018:

@Earlymandipo
    They are:
    1.Food Processing
    2.Tailoring

1. Shoe making.
      4.Cooking etc

This are good idea. along with this you can also have regular discussion session to stimulate there mind.

• Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! Please continue to use this community to share ideas, ask questions, and have conversations to help you in your work and in your communities :)

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.