Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Weekly Welcome 1-OCT-2018 for Leadership and Governance

Hello @all!

Each week, we welcome new members and connect with continuing members of the Leadership and Governance community of practice so we have our own network for learning and improving the civil society work we do.

Let’s meet some of the people doing good work around the world!

Reply and tell us:
    1. What does your organization do?

2. What is a leadership-related challenge you're thinking through right now?

3. What is one lesson you've learned about leadership?

We are so happy to have you here! You can come here when you need support in with Leadership and Governance and we encourage you to come back and help others with their challenges when you can.

For you who have been here, please reply to people who are new and introducing themselves. This is our way of building a welcoming digital space together.

F
    2 Replies
  • Course Ambassador

@scottm said in Weekly Welcome 1-OCT-2018 for Leadership and Governance:

Hello @all!

Each week, we welcome new members and connect with continuing members of the Leadership and Governance community of practice so we have our own network for learning and improving the civil society work we do.

Reply and tell us:

We are so happy to have you here! You can come here when you need support in with Leadership and Governance and we encourage you to come back and help others with their challenges when you can.

For you who have been here, please reply to people who are new and introducing themselves. This is our way of building a welcoming digital space together.

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Sandra Meninwa. I work in the non-profit space specifically with the HR department where I recently transitioned from the Recruitment department to the Leadership Development department. Although I have more than four years work experience in the field of HR, this is a new focus area for me and I am a little anxious about it.

The most pressing leadership-related challenge we face as an organization is the quality vs quantity problem. We are scaling and that scale might affect the quality of those who would be accepted into the Fellowship. We also have the human capital problem which is also related to the most pressing issue. The number of qualified staff who are invested in the overall vision of the Fellowship are few (because of enough money to employ more people, lack of training opportunities for Staff {local and international}, and low motivation for the Staff). Personally, as a Leadership Development Manager, I would like someone to share what best strategies for coaching they have adopted in their organizations, what leadership trainings have they structured/designed and how do they measure impact in their organizations. In addendum, how do they keep people who earn very low income and receive periodic trainings highly motivated?

N
    M
    2 Replies
  • @meninwa said in Weekly Welcome 1-OCT-2018 for Leadership and Governance:

Hello @all!

Reply and tell us:

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Sandra Meninwa. I work in the non-profit space specifically with the HR department where I recently transitioned from the Recruitment department to the Leadership Development department. Although I have more than four years work experience in the field of HR, this is a new focus area for me and I am a little anxious about it.

The most pressing leadership-related challenge we face as an organization is the quality vs quantity problem. We are scaling and that scale might affect the quality of those who would be accepted into the Fellowship. We also have the human capital problem which is also related to the most pressing issue. The number of qualified staff who are invested in the overall vision of the Fellowship are few (because of enough money to employ more people, lack of training opportunities for Staff {local and international}, and low motivation for the Staff). Personally, as a Leadership Development Manager, I would like someone to share what best strategies for coaching they have adopted in their organizations, what leadership trainings have they structured/designed and how do they measure impact in their organizations. In addendum, how do they keep people who earn very low income and receive periodic trainings highly motivated?

Hi Meninwa,
    That's a tough one... However, I believe low income staff can be motivated with intangible gifts and incentives, for example, recognition, by building professional relationship with them, show you care about them as a person, showing the human side of things. I believe having the qualities of a good leader can motivate low income staff...

• Course Ambassador

@meninwa said in Weekly Welcome 1-OCT-2018 for Leadership and Governance:

Hello @all!

Reply and tell us:

Hello Everyone,

as an organisation you can keep them motivated by presenting incentives for hard work. mention and encourage them when they excel in certain tack. special birthday gift or if gift card at the end of the month for best performed staff.

• @scottm said in Weekly Welcome 1-OCT-2018 for Leadership and Governance:

Hello @all!

Reply and tell us:

Hello Everyone,
    My name is Franklin Emeka. I work in an anti-corruption agency the biggest in the country. specifically with the Accounts And Finance Department which i transitioned from Operations To Finance Department. i have two years working experience in the field. The experience has been wonderful so far i can say.

The most pressing leadership-related challenge we face as an organization is the consistency to sustain and maintain a good working environment . We are currently facing leadership problems in the sense that staffs are not paid enough money considering the hazardous risk we embark on, lack of training opportunities for Staff {local and international}.

Lessons learnt about leadership You should:

(a)Foster Teamwork.
    (b)Encourage Growth in Others.
    (c)Boost Employee Self-Esteem.
    (d)Take Care of People.
    (e)Coordinate, Aim for a Goal.
    (f)Be Willing to be Misunderstood.
    (g)Get People to Follow You.
    (h)Inspire People

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.