Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I have not heard crowd funding before and am really happy to hear that now. Looking forward to learn more about it.

N
    1 Reply
  • @mark_g said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

We have noticed that in this Fundraising and Resource Mobilization community of practice, several people have asked questions about crowdfunding.

Crowdfunding–the practice of acquiring capital (usually through the Internet) for a start-up or nonprofit by fundraising from many small contributors–can be a powerful tool for NGOs and nonprofits. M-Changa (a Philanthropy University partner), for instance, is a Kenyan platform for crowdfunding that is the largest of its kind in Africa.

Because it is a topic people would like to know more about, let's build a list of crowdfunding tools here!

Please respond to the questions below and reply to each other's posts!

1. What crowdfunding platforms could be effective tools for people in this community?
    2. Do you have experiences with crowdfunding platforms that you would like to share?
    3. What advice do you have for members of this community about crowdfunding for their projects?

Hi @Mark_G, this is a truly great topic, @ll involve in fundraising need learn about.

1. GlobalGiving is one of the largest crowdfunding platform I would recommend.
    2. I have experience with GlobalGiving (https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/heal-a-heart-in-cameroon/) and have some tips for successfully completeing the Accelerator program to become a permanent Global Ging partner.
    3. Crowdfunding is a great way to improve your donor base but not every organization or project is suitable for crowdfunding.
  • Course Facilitator

Thank you. @Mark_G
    The GlobalGiving crowdfund platform could be effective tools for people in this community.

In 2016 I joined in this crowd funding platform, it is a best platform for raising money, building skills, accessing tools and growing our base of supporters to achieve our goal, when we graduate in this platform our organization becomes a permanent member of Global Giving and you will have access to the tools, training and one-on-one support available in the Global Giving Foundation.

I would like to advice members of this community to join and use this crowd funding for raising money for their project, because you can get up to twelve GG Reward points to help increase the visibility of our project; plus.
    Thank you
    Japhet A. Kalegeya

M
    1 Reply
  • I am really keen to do a crowdfunding fundraiser to buy resources for our After school programme we want to start. I have tried before with Generosity and only got 50$. I need to learn how to do crowdfunding properly.

• Hi...... Everyone
    I'm Sachin, from Chandigarh,India
    I have recently completed my Bachelor's degree in Commerce so the word crowd funding is not new to me even something that I know about but I want to master my skills by this course.

• Hello everyone excellent day.
    This is not my first time to the word "Crowdfundraising" but I don't know how it works.
    I have much interest in it, because I'm in an environment that suffers from Insurgency -Boko Haram attacks ,I will use it to raise funds to help the IDPs

N
    1 Reply
  • I have heard of crowd funding severally, although I've not made use of it before, I'm open to learning and subsequent usage of the platform.

• Course Facilitator

@37373 said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone excellent day.
    This is not my first time to the word "Crowdfundraising" but I don't know how it works.
    I have much interest in it, because I'm in an environment that suffers from Insurgency -Boko Haram attacks ,I will use it to raise funds to help the IDPs

@37373 Join the Fundraising Strategies course: https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:PhilanthropyU+Fundraising_301+3_1.10_20180910_20181014/about starting in 2 days' time. The 4th module will talk about how to run a successful crowdfunding campaign.

• Course Facilitator

@willytympani said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

1. I have not heard of the word crowdfunding platform before, it's s very strange thing for me but am very happy am learning here.
    2. I have not used it before but will bring up projects that will make me use it.

@Willytympani Join the Fundraising Strategies course: https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:PhilanthropyU+Fundraising_301+3_1.10_20180910_20181014/about starting in 2 days' time. The 4th module will talk about how to run a successful crowdfunding campaign.

• Course Facilitator

@amlamsearch said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

I have not heard crowd funding before and am really happy to hear that now. Looking forward to learn more about it.

@Amlamsearch Join the Fundraising Strategies course: https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:PhilanthropyU+Fundraising_301+3_1.10_20180910_20181014/about starting in 2 days' time. The 4th module will talk about how to run a successful crowdfunding campaign.

• @mark_g said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

We have noticed that in this Fundraising and Resource Mobilization community of practice, several people have asked questions about crowdfunding.

Crowdfunding–the practice of acquiring capital (usually through the Internet) for a start-up or nonprofit by fundraising from many small contributors–can be a powerful tool for NGOs and nonprofits. M-Changa (a Philanthropy University partner), for instance, is a Kenyan platform for crowdfunding that is the largest of its kind in Africa.

Because it is a topic people would like to know more about, let's build a list of crowdfunding tools here!

1. What crowdfunding platforms could be effective tools for people in this community?
    2. Do you have experiences with crowdfunding platforms that you would like to share?
    3. What advice do you have for members of this community about crowdfunding for their projects?

@Nyugah I agree with you, Global Giving is one of the biggest and well-known platforms for crowdfunding. Also, there are several other platforms such as FringeBacker but they have some restrictions. I do not have any experience in crowdfunding but from whatever I have read and heard about it, it is a means to communicate your cause to a large number of donors who actually we would have not found through any other sources, not even on social media. Thank you.

• Hello All.
    Please, I will like to know more Crowd funding platforms.

Thanks

• Hi everyone. I have heard about crowd funding but I have not had the opportunity to learn more about it. I would love to learn it here. Thanks

• Good evening all,
    As mentioned by members here, I too would like to know more about crowdfunding and how to source funds through it. I tried it once but it yielded nothing. Some of the crowdfunding sources I have heard of include: Global Giving, Indiegogo, M-changa, Goget funding, Gofundme, Kickstarter, Justgiving, Facebook etc.

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Crowdfunding is a way of raising funds from volunteers towards a cause.
    I have had experience with gofundme.com and it is a great platform where people can donate anonymously, donors can see the progress all donations. The platform often verify your cause before they okay your gufundme programme, as there are a lot of scammers out there.

The platform is easy to use.

• I have heard of many crowdfunded platforms in which I have tried two on my own Indiegogo and GlobalGiving but I will like to know more the tricks involved in crowdfunding

• Have heard the term a while now but have not had a chance to learn what it involves. This is quite an opportunity and I am glad to be here. Open to bradening my knowledge.

• Hello everyone! I have heard about crowdfunding before but I'd like to know how it works. Really excited to learn with you, guys :)

• I am not new to thisIN 2014 ,i TOOK PART RAISING FUND for the then president Jimy Carter in 2014
    And for for NanoWRImo writing group in 2016 and some others. HPE TO LEARN FROM YOU PEOPLE

Hello everyone! ( @all )

We (Children with disability in Viet Nam) use a number of crowdfunding sites.

As a UK and Viet Nam registered charity we use a number of angles.

Virgin Giving Money
    Annually the Big Give Christmas challenge
    Just Giving

The foundational tactics to deploy are: What are your donor's needs? Donors generally like to use a branded website that has an inherent (right or wrong) trust factor with your target donors e.g Virgin in the UK. Most empirical donor trends suggest you should then carefully craft a narrative for the funds you're trying to raise, attach this narrative in a tight, human story arc.

As an institution be mindful of your "cost of transaction" as of course, these sites require a percentage of the donations to fund their commercial business models. This is also a good way to pitch the more analytical donor by reinforcing that your prudent and offering ease and functionality for your donors while maintaining minimum costs.

When you're structuring an "ask" remember to strategically frame the process as a very manageable, REPEAT donation! This proves extremely powerful with ongoing donation streams and vastly lowers the variable costs of fundraising.

In essence frame your narrative - very concise and with a human outcome. Isolate your donor demographic and use a website that appeals to them by branding and perceived efficacy. Narrow the terms of your ask to ensure residuals and low maintenance donations.

N
    1 Reply
  • I have heard about crowd funding and I think it is an awesome platform to receive funds for your project. From research, I noticed that one requires a good display of project activities for example through pictures, video, testimonies to be able to encourage potential donors to contribute to your cause. Personally, I have just joined a crowd funding platform for the first time, am still learning and awaiting feedback.

• Hi Everyone:

I have no experience in crowdfunding except for knowledge of Global Giving with which I recently applied to their accelerator programme and a GOFundme project, one of our members of another nonprofits I was involved with. As stated by someone else in this chat, I am aware that posting and publishing, videos, pictures etc are important and evidence for social proof and to build credibility and trust to engage donors, sponsors and attract supporters to your project.

However, I would love to hear about other crowdfunding tools and how to use them effectively and efficiently for project success.

• @cjephgrave said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

@mark_g said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

We (Children with disability in Viet Nam) use a number of crowdfunding sites.

As a UK and Viet Nam registered charity we use a number of angles.

Virgin Giving Money
    Annually the Big Give Christmas challenge
    Just Giving

The foundational tactics to deploy are: What are your donor's needs? Donors generally like to use a branded website that has an inherent (right or wrong) trust factor with your target donors e.g Virgin in the UK. Most empirical donor trends suggest you should then carefully craft a narrative for the funds you're trying to raise, attach this narrative in a tight, human story arc.

As an institution be mindful of your "cost of transaction" as of course, these sites require a percentage of the donations to fund their commercial business models. This is also a good way to pitch the more analytical donor by reinforcing that your prudent and offering ease and functionality for your donors while maintaining minimum costs.

When you're structuring an "ask" remember to strategically frame the process as a very manageable, REPEAT donation! This proves extremely powerful with ongoing donation streams and vastly lowers the variable costs of fundraising.

In essence frame your narrative - very concise and with a human outcome. Isolate your donor demographic and use a website that appeals to them by branding and perceived efficacy. Narrow the terms of your ask to ensure residuals and low maintenance donations.

Thank for sharing your knowledge!
    Cheers!

• I am surprised that in my county Kenya we have crowdfunding going on and has been there for a while (mchanga); this is amazing. I am involved in a project of a friend who is installing solar for one of the poorest counties in Kenya. The logical framework involved small 'pooled' lighting that is set up for classes then kids come and borrow solar lamps that lasts 36 hours for a week on a rotational basis. they then use lamps to study at home and avoid kerosine lamps that due to carbon and poor lighting has been known to affect eyes and cause respiratory diseases. Can one advise me where to go?

• In kenya we have been using M-changa (changa is a swahili word meaning fundraise) it has been of great support to several people faced by different issues such as huge medical bills, education and supporting the orphans.
    I have participated in crowd funding through a facebook page known as Buyer beware kenya by contributing money. The administrator is vocal in raising issues affecting the members, once she identifies a needy case she requests the members to make contributions. She uses M-changa or a pay bill number which is provided by safaricom a mobile phone service provider.
    I would encourage the members of the community to embrace crowdfunding.

• Thank you for discussing! @willytympani @Amlamsearch @Nyugah @Kalegeya @Wildcoastdawn @Kumarsachin65 @37373 @602_940xxx @Olufikayo @Rabiulanre @COHECFKENYA2017 @Bimbola @benphemmy @gee @harlenenb @christ @CJEphgrave @CJEphgrave @bridget_amarahub @nminds @okeyo2014 @shiru

It is so wonderful to hear your experiences, thoughts, and questions about crowdfunding! As a next step, it would be great to respond to each others' posts to try and answer their questions, ask your own, and have a dialogue!

And thank you for responding to others' posts @Nelson @abhishekpandey19 @Nminds :) This can be a really powerful Community if people are engaging with one another and discussing, and it is great to see you doing that already!

@all because so many people seem to be interested in learning more about crowdfunding and discussing, we at Philanthropy University will follow up with more ways to discuss and share knowledge soon! In the meantime, please continue to discuss and respond to each others' posts and ideas here :)

• Hello.
    This would be my first time knowing of crowdfundung, but I'm really interested in learning more about this to develop myself much more.

• I have heard about crowdfunding but I don't know how it works. I am open to learning. And since I am in a community school which is the only school in the locality,, overcrowded with nothing to facilitate learning, I would like to use this tool to raise some fund to help this school before my service year is over.

Hello everyone! ( @all )

I have heard of crowd funding but have no experience and as such, have no idea about the crowd funding platforms. It's great to learn about it in this platform.

• Hello everyone.
    I have heard of crowd funding but I didn't know how it works. I am eager to learn and sharpen my skills.

N
    M
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@minne said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone.
    I have heard of crowd funding but I didn't know how it works. I am eager to learn and sharpen my skills.

@minne See if you would like to enroll in this Fundraising Strategies course, which just started on 10Sep: https://courses.philanthropyu.org/courses/course-v1:PhilanthropyU+Fundraising_301+1_1.0_20180423_20180527/about The last module talks about Crowdfunding.

• @minne said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone.

Thank you for the link.

1 Reply

Hello everyone! ( @all )

i am not that conversant with crowdfunding but if M-CHANGA is one of the platforms I believe it is a very ethical way of raising funds because at the end of the day accountability and proper documentation is key in a successful project. Without accounting for what you recieve in terms of funding how does one create confidence to investor or any other willing party to fund your project?

2 Replies
  • I don't know much about Crowdfunding, can you tell me more about it?

• @kalegeya said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Thank you. @Mark_G
    The GlobalGiving crowdfund platform could be effective tools for people in this community.

In 2016 I joined in this crowd funding platform, it is a best platform for raising money, building skills, accessing tools and growing our base of supporters to achieve our goal, when we graduate in this platform our organization becomes a permanent member of Global Giving and you will have access to the tools, training and one-on-one support available in the Global Giving Foundation.

I would like to advice members of this community to join and use this crowd funding for raising money for their project, because you can get up to twelve GG Reward points to help increase the visibility of our project; plus.
    Thank you
    Japhet A. Kalegeya

Agree. We joined GlobalGiving in 2016 and have won a couple of prizes via crowdfunding competitions offered during key dates during the year.

1 Reply
  • @mbasey said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

@kalegeya said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Thank you. @Mark_G

Thank you
    Japhet A. Kalegeya

Agree. We joined GlobalGiving in 2016 and have won a couple of prizes via crowdfunding competitions offered during key dates during the year.

Hello @mbasey, thank you for posting!

It is wonderful to hear that you won prizes via crowdfunding competitions from Global Giving.

@charola @AmidalaTopaz @lovesim @minne and @erick all said that they would like to know more about crowdfunding. Could you give them (and others) some advice based on your success? We would love to hear it!

Great to have you here :)

• @minne said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

@minne said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone.

Thank you for the link.

Thank you @Nelson for sharing the link!

Thank you @Minne for following up!

It is great to see people collaborating in this community :)

• @enmbugua said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

@mark_g said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

i am not that conversant with crowdfunding but if M-CHANGA is one of the platforms I believe it is a very ethical way of raising funds because at the end of the day accountability and proper documentation is key in a successful project. Without accounting for what you recieve in terms of funding how does one create confidence to investor or any other willing party to fund your project?

Great point @ENMBUGUA!

• I am new to Crowdfunding but I strongly believe that if there data to proof judicious use of fund raised through it, there would be more donors coming year and more other people will contribute.

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Thank you so much for this topic. I am here to really learn and Crowdfunding is a new topic to me although I had seen and heard people soliciting for financial help for Medical welfare for others and even on traffic light hold up in my country(Nigeria), people go along with the sick or some photos of some sick people. But now I know it is called Crowdfunding. I need to learn more. Thank you!

C
    1 Reply
  • @floleo said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Thank you so much for this topic. I am here to really learn and Crowdfunding is a new topic to me although I had seen and heard people soliciting for financial help for Medical welfare for others and even on traffic light hold up in my country(Nigeria), people go along with the sick or some photos of some sick people. But now I know it is called Crowdfunding. I need to learn more. Thank you!

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Crowd-funding is an interesting initiative allows fundraiser to fund-raise at a global scale online, Success of a crowd funding campaign hinge on adequate preparation that entails listing potential donors and getting them involved before launching the campaign. One way of getting potential donors involved is by making them partners in fundraising.

1 Reply
  • @Kinzo @FloLeo, so great to hear that you are interested in the topic! We will discuss it more as a Community soon :)

In the meantime, feel free to ask questions or share ideas right here in this post with others to discuss!

• @simbarashe said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Crowd-funding is an interesting initiative allows fundraiser to fund-raise at a global scale online, Success of a crowd funding campaign hinge on adequate preparation that entails listing potential donors and getting them involved before launching the campaign. One way of getting potential donors involved is by making them partners in fundraising.

I think, we can also establish crowd funding in this platform in order to assist the members and interested parties

• Crowd Fundraising has remained the most effective tool for galvanizing capital and resources for life changing projects, this too is especially useful to organizations in LDC with low capital formation.

• @enmbugua said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

Hello everyone! ( @all )

Crowd Fundraising has remained the most effective tool for galvanizing capital and resources for life changing projects, this too is especially useful to organizations in LDC with low capital formation.

• crown funding is a powerful tool. am in Kenya and we have M-changa and various Mobile networks providing tools which the can be used for crowd funding

• Course Facilitator

@scottm said in NEW: Share and Discuss Crowdfunding Platforms! 07-SEP-2018 Fundraising and Resource Mobilization:

@mwere

crown funding is a powerful tool. am in Kenya and we have M-changa and various Mobile networks providing tools which the can be used for crowd funding

What are the names of some of those mobile tools for crowdfunding? I'd like to learn more about how they work. Thank you!

@mwere Are they the mobile version of the popular crowdfunding sites? Would love to know if there are any mobile-only crowdfunding sites.

• I have heard of crowdfunding but I need to know how to go about it. I want to learn all it takes to ensure a successful crowdfunding project.

• Wonderful discussion!

I recommend Global Giving as a stunning crowdfunding platform globally. Currently my project is active in Global Giving platform https://goto.gg//37029. Crowdfunding is mostly recommended to grass root organisation for rising fund for their projects and be accountable, steward and transparent toward implementing the project as they will use their project audited report to request grant from various foundations and donors. Any one who is passionate and would like to volunteer on crowdfunding fundraising please reach out at beda.tarimo@udf.ngo and we will work and learn together practically

Chears!

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.