Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 3: Culture of Measurement

Now that you have developed a plan for building a stronger culture of measurement within your own organization, share at least one idea with your peers. Others may have come up with ideas that are relevant to your organization. After sharing your own idea, read and respond to a peer who had an idea that you would like to try in your own organization.

Example Post: Run a training for all staff, not just the M&E team, on how to find and use data to inform their work.

Example Response: I love this idea, and would like to implement something similar within my own organization. The challenge that we face is that our data is not currently readily accessible to all team members. Do you already have the infrastructure / technology set up so that all team members can access data as they need it?

• In my organisation, we have M&E team alright but they are not active in terms of sharing data and analyses. It will be key to start the habit of sharing data and help the organisation understand data and how useful it is for management decision making. less resources are provided to M&E units because no-one appreciates their value to the organisation. It is high time M&E units are strengthened to make their work useful.

G
    Z
    N
    H
    S
    6 Replies
  • Good Idea. The M&E department should be able to write reports and propose some decision to the CEO based on the evidences. If the M&E departement do not interact with others and does not show its contribution to the achievement of results, people may not undersdant the necessity to produce data and the importance of measurement

• The problem in my organisation is the fact that the number of indicators is huge. Each of our partner requires a certain number of indicators before financing us. This make our data collection system to be weak, since it leads to several M&E teams working in isolation. Another problem is the fact that our M&E teams collect data not for the decision making process, but only to comply with the contracts signed with partners.

H
    S
    2 Replies
  • We are going to find the write data collecting and interpreting technology that is best suited for our organizations project.

S
    1 Reply
  • Wow, this is great! Wishing you all the best as you implement these best practices in your organization.

• Platform services for introducing and maintaining a 'culture of measurement' for small social enterprises: Many of us who are starting off, have a small enterprises and constrained in resources - both in respect to staff and capital, it will be very valuable to understand how much investment should be made in data collection and processing. Is there a benchmark? Also in countries like India - where even a 10% sampling is very high - what tools/ sampling units should we consider for measurement. Also is there a possibility that there could be a platform service (an IT tool with physical support) that can help multitude of such small organization to move towards a data culture - help measure right indicators and reflect on the same continuously with the organization .

• You are right M&E needs its due 'place' in any organisation. The blog on how to move towards a data culture and the various ladder steps - slowly moving towards 'empowerment' was a great insight.

• I agree with the writer that when M&E fails to make it a habit to share data regularly with project teams, it becomes hard to make use of available data for program learning and improvement. They should create opportunities to discuss data.

• This is quite unfortunate if we collect data for external not internal use. We should start challenging the M&E team as staff and managers so that they start sharing data for decision making.

S
    K
    2 Replies
  • How do we ensure that our ideas are heard and is measured in the organizations culture?

• @hmuigai said in Module 3: Culture of Measurement:

This is quite unfortunate if we collect data for external not internal use. We should start challenging the M&E team as staff and managers so that they start sharing data for decision making.

Same happens with us

• Great and would appreciate if it is dessiminated

• Assign to the project staff

• great job friends and have wonderful discussion

• What if some of data is confidential

• It is the work of the MEAL department whether programmatic or institutional to capture data that is to be used to inform future decisions. However, as must as this department might need to collect this information, it is quite difficult if the organization at large does not support these departments to achieve their goals by investing in technology to help collect and convert the data to useable information.

• Very true. The more we are aware of our organizational achievement, the more we will be able to attain the overall objective which is tied to external data collection.

• It would be helpful if the M&E department was directly involved in coming up with or approving the organization's course of action from each department.

• Nice implementation

• What wonderful ideas my friends.

• After completing this module on the culture of measurement, the one idea that comes to mind is that an organization must incorporate data from completed projects into the planning of subsequent ones with emphasis placed on whether their applied strategies were effective in achieving the desired outcome. This was the last question asked of us in the Module 3 assignment, and after one thinks about it, all of the time spent collecting program data, summarizing for review, analyzing for trends, and then drawing conclusions; it is such a waste for that insight not to be available or to utilize it in future endeavors. After all, shouldn't changes to objectives within subsequent proposals be developed from authentic local data? Shouldn't the decision to repeat an applied strategy be based upon its impact on both meeting an objective, as well as the project's stated goal?

The how of it though - it's like the chicken or the egg - which comes first? In my response to the assignment question I proposed a rubrics to help decision-makers - an organizer that is very common in education. But, this solution so heavily relies upon the data being available and organized that I fear it is only possible where data is all in electronic format and easily manipulated. The creation of the database must take precedent before the formation of any useful rubrics. There is no insight without inputs to base it upon.

• I agree with you

• In our company, every team member clearly understood that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plan describes how the whole M&E system for the program works. This includes the indicators, who is responsible for collecting them, what forms and tools will be used, and how the data will flow through the organisation.

• Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) also enables governments and other decision makers to improve what they do and be accountable for the results.

• In my organisation, we have M&E team alright but they are not active in terms of sharing data and analyses. It will be key to start the habit of sharing data and help the organisation understand data and how useful it is for management decision making. less resources are provided to M&E units because no-one appreciates their value to the organisation. It is high time M&E units are strengthened to make their work useful.

• I agree with the writer that when M&E fails to make it a habit to share data regularly with project teams, it becomes hard to make use of available data for program learning and improvement. They should create opportunities to discuss data.

• Post: Establish a regular "Data Insights Forum" where staff from different departments can share their experiences and insights gained from utilizing data in their projects. This forum would create a space for cross-departmental learning and foster a culture of knowledge-sharing and collaboration.

Response: I find the idea of a "Data Insights Forum" intriguing and believe it could greatly benefit our organization as well. Currently, our departments work somewhat independently, and there's a lack of cross-pollination of data insights. Before implementing this, I wonder how you handle data confidentiality and privacy concerns when sharing insights across different departments. Any insights on managing these issues would be valuable for our organization.

• That's a great initiative! Empowering all staff with data skills can significantly improve decision-making across the organization. Here are some suggestions to make your training a success:
    • Shift the Mindset: Instead of just teaching data skills, emphasize the benefits of using data to improve their work. Highlight real-world examples of how data has been used effectively in your organization or similar ones.
    • Start Simple: Don't overwhelm participants with complex data analysis techniques. Focus on foundational skills like:
    • Address potential concerns about RBF limitations. Briefly acknowledge potential drawbacks like administrative costs or challenges in measuring complex outcomes, and then explain how these can be mitigated.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.