Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 1: Key Ideas

What key ideas from this module intrigued you the most? Be sure to explain why. Is it because it was a new idea to you? Or because it was confusing to you? Or because it was different from what you knew from before?

Example Post: I am confused about the term _________. What does ________ actually mean? Can someone help me better understand?

V
    1 Reply
  • i didn't really understand the social impact bond. can someone please help me? am i mandated to use the pdf worksheet or the space provided to write a response is still okay?

A
    A
    2 Replies
  • Social impact bond is a form of contract that enables government or its agencies pays for the results instead of goods and services delivered

• I am thrilled about the use of theory of change but otherwise I want to see how new thinking i am getting such as SIB and DIB play out in RBF. Otherwise, interesting things are coming out!

R
    2 Replies
  • Very captivating!

• Based on the fact that outcomes are broad and they do not depent only on what the organisation does. Why is it more important to focus on outcomes rather than outputs?

Z
    S
    2 Replies
  • would love to learn more about the shift of financial risks from service providers to investors.

Z
    S
    2 Replies
  • I most enjoyed this analogy - 'Leading a horse to water is an activity or output, the horse's drinking the water is an outcome.'. It explained the TOC very well. Lot of times the drinking of water by horse can be conditioned by various contextual factors which also need addressal in the programme. Therefore it might not just be enough to provide a drinking water outlet for the horse, but also lets say see if he is healthy enough to access the outlet. the key therefore is always to have a sight of the outcome, and undertake activities accordingly. In a typical financing system - one may only be paid for providing that water outlet, but RBF allows one to invest in all other conditions which will ensure that the horse does end up drinking the water!

• What intrigued me about this topic is how it clearly highlight that steps needed to be take in order to achieve the ultimate outcome as well as who is responsible for which contribution to the result. It clearly shows that is has to be a joint effort from the NGO & Participants in order to achieve the results. It also shows that if the ultimate outcome/ result is not achieved, it isn't always that the implementing NGO was ineffective but rather the error may be due to a number of factors that needed to be evaluated, assesses and remedied.

• What intrigued me about this topic is how it clearly highlight that steps needed to be take in order to achieve the ultimate outcome as well as who is responsible for which contribution to the result. It clearly shows that is has to be a joint effort from the NGO & Participants in order to achieve the results. It also shows that if the ultimate outcome/ result is not achieved, it isn't always that the implementing NGO was ineffective but rather the error may be due to a number of factors that needed to be evaluated, assesses and remedied.

• Its important to do so because this course is about result / outcome based funding.

• The Social Impact Bond is the type of funding that really lets you shift that financial risk because more often than not, you receive the funding before or during the program as long as you can prove that you will get the results.

• I am thrilled about the theory of change in Social impact bond that insisted between the government, structure coordinator ,delivering services , achieving outcome and paying for success.

• I am going through this for the first time and a bit confused with the difference between SIB and DIB

• Good material

• I am confused about the difference between SIB and DIB. How can we differentiate is simple terms. Would appreciate if can someone help me better understand with simple tearms,

R
    1 Reply
  • I would also love to join so

• I feel like there should be clear link between outcome and outputs

• I am also thrilled to be learning about this new way of financing.

• Download the worksheet and upload it once you're through with your work

• Well put and simplified module. Result Based Financing is an instrumental strategy in helping achievement of set goals and objectives in a company.

• Well put and simplified module. Result Based Financing is an instrumental strategy in helping achievement of set goals and objectives in a company.

• Course Facilitator

I have forgotten to put the Label to my assignment my Lable was "AID FOR 100 ORPHAN VULNERABLE CHILDREN IN TABORA, TANZANIA" can someone help me on how I can add it?

• What is intriguing to me is the theory of change.
    A theory of change explains how a given intervention, or set of interventions, is expected to lead to specific development change.
    For change to happen in any area of our lives, whether personal, social, or economical outcomes or change, there should be a shift in behavior or action taken. If you want to be clean, you need to take a shower. If you want to be informed and be knowledgeable, you need to study and carry out research.
    We are where we are as people, as nation because of the actions and decisions we have made along the way. For us to improve our wellbeing and the wellbeing of our nations and the planet large, we need to act on good decisions. Emphasis on act….

Thanks!

• The main diffrence is one focuses on developing countries.

• Your theory of change should help you define how you will achieve measurable outcomes.

• I feel like the theory of change to achieve positive social impact could be detailed further. It simplifies the concept diferentiating it only between Activities, intermediate outcomes and final outcomes when it could be diferentiated in the following manner: Input, Output, Outcomes, Impact.

• The thing that intrigued me most was learning about the various types of RBF contracts. I look forward to learning about the details more!

• The difficulty of “why” intrigues me the most when thinking about theory of change. In the example provided by the instructor, the horse was led to water but did not drink. So, when all the inputs, activities, intermediate outcomes are logically aligned within a TOC and it does not result in the desired ultimate outcome. Why?

Is it bad design – poor execution of the 5 common characteristics listed in the first reading (5Cs: clarity, costs, capital, context, conversation)

Is it an outdated model – too simplified where linear thinking and causal links have difficulty addressing behaviors or feedback loops?

Is it, “close enough for government work” where the effort was made, and one can only do what one can do? Or are we truly measured only by the end result?

How does one design a TOC with the equivalent of a horse whisperer?

• This topic is awesome

• Amazing and transformational!

C
    1 Reply
  • I agree, the concepts shared are new to me but I believe this is the Future

• In reality most of the time working in the development space we tend to focus on outputs which are immediately recognizable and speak volume of the organizations presence in an area. A shift to outcome eventhough is beyond the organization control will ensure efficient use of scarce resource, promote transparence and accountability and sustainable impact.

• In reality most of the time working in the development space we tend to focus on outputs which are immediately recognizable and speak volume of the organizations presence in an area. A shift to outcome eventhough is beyond the organization control will ensure efficient use of scarce resource, promote transparence and accountability and sustainable impact.

• i didn't really understand the social impact bond. can someone please help me? I had difficulties understanding how to fill the pdf sheet

• I would like to use theory of change in all the possible situations during my professional journey for sure .

• What is intriguing to me is the theory of change.
    A theory of change explains how a given intervention, or set of interventions, is expected to lead to specific development change.
    For change to happen in any area of our lives, whether personal, social, or economical outcomes or change, there should be a shift in behavior or action taken. If you want to be clean, you need to take a shower. If you want to be informed and be knowledgeable, you need to study and carry out research.
    We are where we are as people, as nation because of the actions and decisions we have made along the way. For us to improve our wellbeing and the wellbeing of our nations and the planet large, we need to act on good decisions. Emphasis on act….

Thanks!

• most enjoyed this analogy - 'Leading a horse to water is an activity or output, the horse's drinking the water is an outcome.'. It explained the TOC very well. Lot of times the drinking of water by horse can be conditioned by various contextual factors which also need addressal in the programme. Therefore it might not just be enough to provide a drinking water outlet for the horse, but also lets say see if he is healthy enough to access the outlet. the key therefore is always to have a sight of the outcome, and undertake activities accordingly. In a typical financing system - one may only be paid for providing that water outlet, but RBF allows one to invest in all other conditions which will ensure that the horse does end up drinking the water!

• I was really impressed to understand our to design a theory of change and link activities to the desired outcomes.

• I was confused at first. And it's also help.

• The idea that intrigued me the most in this module was the concept of "Theory of Change." It was not entirely new to me, but the systematic approach to planning and implementing social interventions was fascinating. The structured way of identifying ultimate outcomes, intermediate outcomes, and specific activities to achieve them provided a clear roadmap for bringing about positive change. It was different from my previous understanding, as I hadn't considered the importance of mapping out these components in such a methodical manner. I would appreciate further clarification on how to effectively measure and evaluate the success of each step in the Theory of Change process. Can someone provide more insights or examples to enhance my understanding?

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.