Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• The knock-on effect of educating and engaging with youth will be strong. When you give youth the opportunity and guidance, educate them and mentor them so they see a future, economically and socially. Everyone benefits within a community where there's equal opportunity to be of value.

• Dr. Bean, being Bermudian, I would support any efforts that provide and ensure access to mental health agencies and professionals within every local business. The need was there prior to Covid and the need has been reinforced with all of the difficulties both employer and employees have had to face. This pandemic has exacerbated much of what was below the surface for many years.

• Emmanuel - best of luck! I think you may find some great opportunities to partner with businesses that are lacking employees or struggling to restart their business as we get through this phase of Covid.

• In an ideal world the word diabetes is no longer a stigma or associated with shame. A cure for Type1 diabetes have been found and healthy living habits are the norm so we no longer have to worry about the threat of diabetes.

• In an ideal world the word diabetes is no longer a stigma or associated with shame. A cure for Type1 diabetes have been found and healthy living habits are the norm so we no longer have to worry about the threat of diabetes.

@Katie_Berry said in Module 2: Discussion:

In the ideal world there would be no litter, with receptacles in ideal spots so people could choose to get rid of their rubbish responsibly. Neighbourhoods would have flowers and trees and not be fouled by illegal dumping and lack of responsibility for rubbish. Individuals would not only take responsibility for their neighbourhoods and their own rubbish, but they would choose to make choices that meant rubbish was reduced. This ideal world would be supportive of individuals who needed help and would educate their children as to why it matters to care about your home, your space, your school and your neighbourhood and ensure they are litter free.

• In my ideal world all children would have access to knowledgeable and responsive caregivers who are able to support the development of social-emotional, cognitive , and language and literacy skills in a happy and curiosity supportive envirnoment.

1 Reply
  • I have 3 persons in my family who have been living with Type 1 diabetes since an early age. The oldest is my brother, who was diagnosed 53 years ago and the youngest is my son who was diagnosed 10 years ago. I agree with your ideal world and look forward to a society in which medical science has a cure for Type 1.

• In an ideal world, seniors will not have to go without proper medical care, medical aids, home repairs or major appliances. A lack of funds should not limit a senior's quality of life or safety.

• Supporting producers to produce profitably and sustainably from good agricultural practices will lead to a significant improvement in their standard of living.

• I fully agree with your idea, poorly managed waste apart from being a pollutant is impoverishing. Indeed, a good part of the budgets that should be devoted to other activities is used for their management.

• The saying goes "Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life". The implication of this statement is that the society is build upon what the mind is being feed with. The mind needs to be developed by the right kind of knowledge in order to be productive. Hence, the need for proper mentorship, training and impartation knowledge. This will invariably result to a thriving society devoid of man made ills/problems. I look forward to a world where young adults use their minds productively.

• I agree with you. Young children need the right kind of guidance and support from adults in order to develop properly to become productive and responsible members of the society.

• My problem statement focuses on the disconnect between a genuine/ effective provider organization and their gap in meeting 'business criteria and standards' that are applied. It is easy to tick off a description of performance by numbers but the greatest successes are not easily enumerated. A low-wage parent does not have income numbers to describe how to be a positive/perfect role model. A rich father may still be a very 'poor' role model as well.
    Ideally, these bodies will be assisted/supported to meet legitimate demands for transparency and accountability to show absence of a scam or very improper operations. At the same time, donors and support persons/volunteers should seek a full understanding. A long term relationship merits them investing in personal research about the organization rather than a 'quick' numbers review. .

• Hi MosheaJC,
    I find your comments about the child's development and its relationship between contents of the heart and mind to be very deep. I agree that how one is 'educated and trained' greatly impacts how one 'behaves'. We therefore think it essential to see that children receive proper guidance and mentoring and so on. Surely , history has shown us that the same applies to the population at large. We all recognize where society has gone rabidly askew and civilians have acted in the most inhumane and uncivilized fashion. We blame it on certain events or certain persons.
    Your comments gives a useful alternative perspective that accords particularly with the heart of 'my ideal world if my problem statement was resolved'. You make one realize that there is an opportunity and a responsibility to train society - - -all of us - - -to have desirable behaviours. This is a form of establishing and sharing cultural norms. It can be done overtly by community organizations based on religion or language or other factors. Such groups must be valued and sustained.

• Hi parentguide.
    We concur. The basis of the future is in the appropriate environment and supports for the development of the child. What about if we recognized that this applies to groups of individuals as it does to the singular? We see that it applies to groups of men - - - held together in prisons or in barracks or in university dorms or in monasteries etc. A group culture and behaviours will develop. We (society) need to take conscious responsibility for fostering what we wish to see or the random consequence that 'popup' can often be horrendously 'undesirable' and engrained.

We sometimes have 'group' aspects within our cultures - - - mores and traditions and history - - - that promote and sustain 'old' practices that we say we value but we ignore to embrace modernity and logic and business efficiency. Those old groups may have roles and achievements that can 'improve' society similarly to how we want to nurture the child's development. It is a part of the whole. the child is a unit in society. A nurtured society as a whole will automatically ensure that everyone nurtures all children and so perpetuate a nurtured and nurturing society. Perpetuate the needed groups and practices.

• After the problem of full-of-rubbish streets, the city will be cleaner and thereby healthier.

• You're rigth, qualified teachers are the cornerstone of the education success.

• it's better to consider on the needs and wants of beneficiaries.

• The ideal world, we would see no discrimination, we would see equality across the board. It is hard to imagine this to be possible, but we must strive continuously to stamp out discriminatory practice.

Identifying the causes of problems before beginning to solve them is so important for us because the organization could potentially streamline processes which will provide opportunities to diversify its approaches towards solutions.

• @celanour completely agree the qualification continuously of the teacher is a big step to keep develop better education. Most be a priority in the education system.

• @celanour completely agree the qualification continuously of the teacher is a big step to keep develop better education. Most be a priority in the education system.

• @slbrownwilliams completely agree. I think about discrimination you need to work in different areas, that is the hard work. We are exposed in our individual development to behaviors and practice, from our cultural background and society, that influence and build our concept in our life.

• Kids in poor conditions doesn't have access continuously to activities that help the development in art, as aren't considerate "essential".

• A world where the rural communities are not sideline with basic amenities due to lack of representation in the government. Where we can sleep with our eyes closed without thinking of whose house will be next because of the incessant attacks and robbery from hungry youths.

• This world is possible and I know very soon it will be achieved.

• This world is possible and I know very soon it will be achieved.

• The ideal method of problem statement begin according to the problem at hand and not how the problem came to existence.
    The link to the beneficiaries, interests and informed source is cardinal to create a substantial problem statement.

• @ThaoTran said in Module 2: Discussion:

In Module 2, you learned how to identify the needs and interests of your beneficiaries. The reading in this module encouraged you to envision a world in which the problem you are addressing is solved.

In a discussion post below, please describe this ideal world in which the problem you are addressing is solved. What would it look like?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

In a world without sexual assault children would be learning from a young age how manage their emotions, build health relationships, make responsible decisions and be more aware of themselves and others. This would lead to a world with greater empathy and compassion where people are empowered to live in the fullness of their purpose with a healthy respect for self and others.

• When I think of addiction I liken it to diabetes. I never really associated a stigma with it as people get treatment, unlike how there is much less discussion about addiction and families try to hide. Thank you for sharing this point of view.

• Ideally the situation should be like in other communities, No stigmatization. And the community will have a very reduced occurrence of HIV new infections because they adopt the new strategies of HIV prevention methods and materials such as condom use and the latest which is PrEP.

• awesome. I love this

• It is often said that the child is the father of the man. Education is the lever on which it is necessary to act to ensure a good future to the children.
    Hungry, far too many children are unable to learn. In many countries, particularly in Africa and Asia, where the long distances between school and home force children to eat on the spot, the absence of a canteen deprives them of food.
    then the dream world I aspire to would be a world in which famine is eradicated and all children have enough to eat.

B
    1 Reply
  • identifying problems are very important step for problem solving so serve our community, we have identify the problems very clearly.

• Employability skills are very important in this developing world, so we have to uplift the employability skills of the youth to productive in their society and whole world.

• Everything is wonderful! The course justifies the hopes!

• I see a world where adolescents health is prioritized, where the adolescents are aware of what to do to stay healthy and why they need to stay healthy; a world where these adolescents are equipped in the right environment with the right mindset for growth and productivity, where they are thriving and preparing for a meaningful and productive adult life in order to impact and build great nations

• I see a world where adolescents health is prioritized, where the adolescents are aware of what to do to stay healthy and why they need to stay healthy; a world where these adolescents are equipped in the right environment with the right mindset for growth and productivity, where they are thriving and preparing for a meaningful and productive adult life in order to impact and build great nations

M
    1 Reply
  • I love this. I couldn't agree less

• We envisioned a situation where program will ameliorate if not solve food and nutrition crisis in the northeast Nigeria

• Couldn't agree less. Excellent observation

• Yes , you are right

• It is needed everywhere , they shape the future of upcoming generations and basically future of nation

• Yes , you are saying quite true .

• @ellaperez0129 said in Module 2: Discussion:

That goal is great, I'm one of the youth aiming for that too. I don't want to live my whole life just working to live, but plan to create work for others too.
    Looking forward your cause.

I agree with you

• In addressing hunger and food deprivation, I see a world where fewer and fewer people will experience hunger. I believe that the strategies for addressing hunger should incorporate exit plans that will provide tools that will enable the beneficiaries to be free from hunger and food deprivation in a sustainable way, and also be able to contribute to society.

• This is so true. Hunger and food deprivation are the root cause of numerous societal problems.

• In an ideal situation where the problem is solved, there will be no water borne diseases caused by drinking or using unwholesome water in rural areas.

• In an ideal world, attitudes towards street dogs as pests as well as about pet dogs being disposable and turned loose on the streets would change. All of the street dogs would be given a safe home or at the very least, the existing population would be spayed/neutered/vaccinated in order to see significant change over the coming decades in the street dog population and alleviate their suffering as well as the frustrations of locals about the overpopulation.

S
    1 Reply
  • In a world where my nutrition is order of the day and we want to see a way that more that will be trained I've been give giving full information on malnutrition and also children with malnutrition will have access to good health and standard nutrition processes

• I am in agreement to this

• In an ideal world, women artisans in Uganda would be able to sell their products at a fair price that helps them to be income-earners; they would be able to access markets and sell their products in ways that allow them to have economic freedom as well as choose the lifestyle they want (whether they want to work from home while raising their children, or to work outside the home). All options would be open to them to make these decisions without barriers.

J
    1 Reply
  • Hey - I love this, especially in terms of reversing some of the assumptions we have about stray dogs as the problem (i.e. maybe WE are the problem!)

• Adolescence is a pivotal stage of life. While bringing new opportunities and risks for both girls and
    boys, it intensifies many gender inequalities that result in lifelong negative consequences for girls and
    women. Adolescence is also a time of vulnerability, as both perpetration and victimization of violence often begin or become elevated during this period. Adolescent girls suffer from the imbalances of power related with their gender and their age, thus being vulnerable to violence not only from intimate partners, but also from parents, caregivers, teachers, colleagues and older men. Therefor it is important to design a programme that able to provide a safe space for girls to learn and develop their knowledge of prevention and build up their resilience.

• I envision a world powered with solar energy driven by rural women entrepreneurs to bring about change in their various communities.

• Great idea. Entrepreneurship for women in this world where there are limitations is a green light for me. You empower a woman and you empower an entire generation.

T
    1 Reply
  • The ideal world were problems are easily solve is where people seek to live for others.

• True, if you empower a woman you would have built a nationa

• As the world today battles to find solutions to global Issues, to meet SDG goals globally, It is important to join hands in finding and promoting what seems to be alternatives to the key global issues.

• All people irrespective of their age bracket need good health, not only the adolescents. I think it is more proper to use youths instead of adolescents since the age adolescent starts is different to different people

• I envisage a world where children with developmental disability will be part of the human community and thus treated with dignity. This means a world where communities acknowledge their strengths as opposed to their inability. A community which allows them to equally participate in decision, a community that allows them the opportunity to exist independently. I envision a world without cultural and religious barriers against children with developmental disabilities that lead to stigma. A world free of misconceptions and myth that make them be treated as burden and curses. A world where policies promote inclusion rather than exclusion, I envision a world where influential members of the community and policy makers have the knowledge and capacity to appreciate developmental disabilities and their characteristics and enact policies and laws with this understanding. Through this they will ensure that policies, laws, guidelines education, and therapeutic interventions are addressed in a manner that enhances inclusion rather than segregation.

1 Reply
  • not only America, but the world at large

• The quality of education is low in Iraq and there are few qualified and trained professional teachers so provision of training to the teachers and giving teachers incentives will drastically improve the quality of education

1 Reply
  • Module 2, is quite interesting with very important steps to under take towards solving the problem. The points provided are exactly what our organisation is working on addressing by providing a platform for a needs analysis from NPOs and government which will eliminate assumptions, through engaging, observing and researching.

• You've indeed identified the needs and interests of the youths that if properly addressed, they can be more independent

• In least developing countries a lot of children find it hard to progress to another grade level in primary schools because they don't have opportunities to go through ECDs or Nursery schools at age of 2 to 5 years before being enrolled in grade one in primary schools. I see a beautiful world if governments and concerned NGOs can work together and create an environment to allow children attend ECDs for all children before being enrolled in grade one. This will reduce failure rate as well as drop out rate of pupils before reaching grade 4. Children will be able to read, write and count at a tender age.

• I am Abdiwahid Ahmed from Somalia. I am so happy to participate in this course with World participants. My Topic Problem Statement is - Being a hungry person makes a person weaker, famine, no exceptions.

• Hi, TIMMYNGWA , if you empower woman, you would have built a nation. Reality its true.

• Hi, Priscillaek, you quoted where teenagers are in the World, do you have factual assumtions?

• Hi, Namhlam, I see that you adhered to the Module 2, have said that in your normal acceptance or tested or practiced?

• Hi, Joyejiro, you enlightened the importance of eyesight except other body, have your projected a health project?

• Hi, Ansaromari, you told us that Iraq's education quality is low, do you have factual assumptions?

• I am so agreed and happy this discussion participation with my class clouge.

• I know my problem statement is not very convincing, as most people in Peru, my country, don't even realize we have that problem. We are just a non-innovative country, and our universities are very far from being top in the world. I've spent years trying to find root causes, and I identify the lack of awareness and interest in emerging technologies as a main one.

In my ideal world, young Peruvian students would be aware of the existence of emerging technologies, and at least participate in international interest groups, and hopefully a few be part of research and development groups.

J
    1 Reply
  • Ansar the low quality teachers are widespread in developing countries. I bet many parents of those children are better, or even much better qualified in general knowledge that their children's teachers. I wonder if somehow, parents can organize, to dedicate a bit of time each, using technology, so we are who teach our children, more interesting and up-to-date knowledge.

C
    1 Reply
  • WILLIAM I wish you can achieve progress towards your inspiring goals !!

• An ideal world will be having foreign workers in Singapore (both domestic and in construction/shipyarding/cleaning etc.) being taken care of properly by their company's HR as well as the state, and also having normal working hours. They will also be assimilated in local spaces and communities, and also have social support and friends here.

• I'm excited for this! Human development is very important for the community and country to progress to have better living conditions in the future. Hope you can make the change happen!

• In an ideal world, every person would have access to healthy food, clean water, necessary medical supplies, and shelter.

• This is definitely a real issue and it's great that you are invested in it. However, do you think you are making some assumptions?

• Le monde idéal dans lequel le problème auquel nous nous adressons est résolu ressemblera à un monde ou les droits humain sont respectés, un monde ou les inégalités sont réduites, tous les enfants en âge scolaire scolarisés, et l'accès facile à l'alimentation.

• If my problem was solved of young black males and females gang violence in Bermuda it would be a big sigh
    of relief to our island. This would be a great picture of peace and more serenity in our families.
    There will be less crime in our community and it will be less traumatized. This island is too small for this 23 square miles long.
    All kids will understand that their life is valuable. They will be able to understand their identity and history.
    Homes will be better provided with guidance to help kids that seemed at risk with more counseling and benefits to monitoring by the Bermuda Government and community stakeholders.

The youth will concentrate more on progressing with all opportunities presented to them. These opportunities are using their gifts and talents in more spaces provided to them. These spaces are hubs of sports, art creatives, and activities equipped suited for their interest. There would be more places mental health will be discussed and less judgment and our children will be more open to sharing their challenges. Every kid would not be left behind when it comes to academics. Bermuda will be fully equipped to handle all learning styles in schools to keep no child behind with academics or job skills. Kids will learn about their strengths which will lead to their work experience early. It would also be an advantage that kids will be exposed to more cultures in different countries. Trips will be provided for these opportunities as well.

• I see a world where women are able to have the same opportunities as men. I see a world where being born a women will not bring a connotation of being lesser than. I see a world where women's rights are upheld by all in society. I see a world where human trafficking does not exist, where prostitution does not exist, because people uphold human dignity and relationships. I see a world where the basic needs such as food, clean water, clothing, shelter, safety and education is accessible to all.

S
    1 Reply
  • For 63.6% of Nepali homes, largely in rural regions, biomass continues to be the predominant cooking fuel, accounting for 69% of the country's primary energy consumption. Similarly, 33.1% of Nepali homes utilize bottled liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) as their primary source of cooking fuel. Less than 0.5% of families in Nepal cook with electricity. Nowadays, Nepal has the installed capacity to generate over 2500 MW of renewable electricity, while the average annual demand is only about 1700 MWs. The two most largest imports into Nepal are LPG and fossil fuels. Since that these energy sources are more expensive than those used to produce electricity in Nepal, this cost is ultimately passed along to the consumers. Households would have more affordable options if they switched to using electricity and other clean forms of energy for cooking. Similarly, this would reduce the country's carbon footprint as well as help the country improve its trade balance.

• @susanaip Your vision is commendable, but quite vague, lacking a bit of clarity on what exactly you want to solve.

• I envision my country having no new cases of girl child adversities, i.e eradicated cases of sexual exploitation, low rates of school dropout due to pregnancies and improved capacity to regain holistic functioning after early child bearing. There will be relevant interventions to empower vulnerable girls to make independent, success-driven decisions despite having their normal childhood interrupted.

• When we generally discuss about policy, most people tell about public policy and its definition. When I ask them a question, "Why we need policy". Their answer is unclear and most of them cannot give a specific answer on why we need policy. Moreover, most under-developed countries are trying to solve the problem without knowing the root of the problem. The authoritarian regimes are just setting up arbitrary policy based on what they want to do, but not based on the real root cause of the problem. Consequently, most policy results is not relevance to the beneficiaries. Therefore, we need policy to address public issues and we must know what are the root cause of the issues before implementation the policy.

• When we generally discuss about policy, most people tell about public policy and its definition. When I ask them a question, "Why we need policy". Their answer is unclear and most of them cannot give a specific answer on why we need policy. Moreover, most under-developed countries are trying to solve the problem without knowing the root of the problem. The authoritarian regimes are just setting up arbitrary policy based on what they want to do, but not based on the real root cause of the problem. Consequently, most policy results is not relevance to the beneficiaries. Therefore, we need policy to address public issues and we must know what are the root cause of the issues before implementation the policy.

• Households in drough affacted areas, reached through potable water supply, household water treatment chemicals, and hygiene promotion. Then the result for addressing the problem will be reducing the water born deases, impriving the health and welbeing of individuals in HH.

• It is what intended to be the result(impact-long term result of your intervantions) and i realy appriciet the way you faciened.

• This is very clearly written, and so I know what your goal is! Then again, if it is an ideal world and we have a magic wand, maybe we just have a world where the vision problems never exist in the first place?

• There are a couple of ways an 'ideal world' could exist for my organization (preschool). One would be where all parents had plenty of money, did not need to work, and so did not rely on the care for that reason- preschool could be a place to drop in and socialize. Or it could be needed, and available to every child who needs it. Wonderful and perfect care would be done by loving, well paid teachers, and high quality in every way imaginable.

• It's a wonderful world. Donate vitamin A contribute in improving children's cognitive capacity.

• We dream that all children in age to go to school are in school in our intervention region. And the children at class will be graduated and hired in entreprise or can created job to reduce unemployement in that region and in Madagascar. Those children can also develop this region which have so much potential. We dream that our intervention can contribute in reducing poverty.

• I envision a world where proper amenities are built to tackle lower level income class in the society, where the rural community is constructed to a standard form of livelihood.

• I an ideal world, we would solve the issues with captive breeding. Rhino numbers would increase. Ecoutourism would increase, and both rhinos and people would be better off.

• I love your vision! I think daycare is so important because it helps everyone have healthier relationships with each other. Children will form more friendships with each other and mentors. Parents will feel closer to their kids as they won't be trying to juggle long work hours while babysitting their children. I hope this future becomes reality!

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.