Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• It is very easy, cheap and common for Organizations to make assumptions about the benefits and interests of beneficiaries. This is a very bad practice as Organizations at most times end up solving unnecessary problems and they do not reach to the root of the problem. It is therefore important that organizations engage with the beneficiaries so that the real issues are dealt with.

• It is very easy, cheap and common for Organizations to make assumptions about the benefits and interests of beneficiaries. This is a very bad practice as Organizations at most times end up solving unnecessary problems and they do not reach to the root of the problem. It is therefore important that organizations engage with the beneficiaries so that the real issues are dealt with.

• In this recent times the most vulnerable is animal's life. Animals has rights to live their life in thier own instinct. But they are crucially murdered for our feast and meal and in lifetime captivity of human for giving entertainment. We should pay attentio to this innocent lives and start inspiring people to be vegan.

• The unemployment rate in Bangladesh is highly increased in recent years. Maximum job seeks for yearly experience, hence freshers are unable to apply. In Bangladesh the education system is a log time process to complete, student lose half of their age completing study or being graduate.

• The unemployment rate in Bangladesh is highly increased in recent years. Maximum job seeks for yearly experience, hence freshers are unable to apply. In Bangladesh the education system is a log time process to complete, student lose half of their age completing study or being graduate.

• The quality of education also become very low in Bangladesh as well.

• In Bangladesh, all the NGO organization only focusing on Rohingya refugee where the Bangladesh has a number of people whom are suffering from poverty, food scarcity and unemployment.

• In Bangladesh, all the NGO organization only focusing on Rohingya refugee where the Bangladesh has a number of people whom are suffering from poverty, food scarcity and unemployment.

• good, em just i would like to know more about this work,this file is very longer.

• I see amazing world to live in where there is high quality education, drastic growth of socio economic aspects and a well established system of education.

E
    1 Reply
  • Criminalization of Mental Illness is a gross misjustice to all of society. As a world community we should foster mental wellness in ourselves and our neighbors. Adequately trained responders should diffuse mentally unstable individuals and prevent situations that often times lead to moments of desperation and criminal activity. Properly serving the community that has an unstable population would be to stabilize it.
    The current solution to mental illness is not working, often times the police, which are charged to "Serve and Protect", are called to intervene known mentally ill individuals. Inefficiently trained officers must then engage with a mentally unstable individual which inevitably goes awry which leads to jail time for the mentally ill.
    A world where the we respond with treatment rather than jail time is a healthier world. Communities that are being treated, instead of moms and dads being jailed, will thrive with a more stable base model for the nuclear family. Children of those parents won't be subjected to the bouts of loneliness and depression that comes from the feelings of abandonment that a jailed parent inadvertently inflicts upon their children. Avoiding such pitfalls would reduce the likelihood of the next generation needing treatment for being collateral damage of an unjust system.
    Eliminating jail time and a criminal conviction from individuals that suffer from mental illness and treating their afflictions would build a trust in the community and foster inclusion and a more robust and engaging community.
    Also, jails would not be overcrowded anymore, the local job economy would be more stable, crime rates would go down, and people would be healthier.

• I envision the same world. The question is where do you intend to target to make this a reality? Police procedure, criminal law, court procedure? I intend to focus on community programs to intervene instead of the need for police response in cases where someone is mentally ill or unstable. Thus, illuminating the need to arrest a mentally ill person. Which I hope will eventually lead to a reallocation of tax funding for community response counselors.

• I see the organization as one of the best in the country and the world.

• Let's continue to contribute for the betterment of our future, and it always lean on our youth of today. Nothing can argue on this.
    Looking forward for your cause.

• Let's continue to contribute for the betterment of our future, and it always lean on our youth of today. Nothing can argue on this.
    Looking forward for your cause.

• That goal is great, I'm one of the youth aiming for that too. I don't want to live my whole life just working to live, but plan to create work for others too.
    Looking forward your cause.

• It's true that education is essential to everyone, I hope you could continue your cause and become successful.

• Yes, and self discipline as well.

• Together let's create impact even how small it is.

• I'm looking forward to all of you. If ever I need help I'll definitely ask here

• I envision all kids will grow up with technical, interpersonal and self discipline skills to be well rounded individuals and leaders who will solve the problems of the world regardless of their skin color, socioeconomic condition or their gender.

K
    1 Reply
  • This module has made me to affirm the saying "You cannot cry more than the bereaved." In essence, it is very important to observe and interact with your beneficiaries to really understand their problems and needs.

• We envisioned a world where students from poor homes improved academically because they have their needs within schools met. Enough fruit-bearing trees to improve undernourished student's nutrition and knowledge. assaults

F
    1 Reply
  • I envision a world where children from underprivileged homes will live with dignity and abundance, having all the basic needs to live and actualize their goals.

I
    1 Reply
  • That world is possible

• The ideal world for my beneficiaries will be one were women and girls potential is not defined by their gender roles but by their capabilities and talents. Where they will not be ashamed of looking masculine when they pursue a career in sports for example, and where they will have a support system that supports their ambitions without deffering to their gender.

F
    S
    2 Replies
  • I a glad that you are tackling the problem from this perspective. It is innovative, even though underrated. well done.

• In the community we are always facing regular pure water problem and electrical current.

We tried to discuss about it several tie with the companies' workers and they had to refer us to the companey officies in order to get a good outcome, we then went and discussed unfortunately their views were not really convincing at all but we understood that this is how they really work so we had to find some other companies that we would rely on, on our own.

F
    1 Reply
  • End poverty.
    End hunger and improve nutrition and sustainable agriculture.
    Promote well being for all ages.
    Ensure equitable and quality education.
    Achieve gender equality.
    Ensure water and sanitation for all.
    Ensure access to modern energy for all.

F
    1 Reply
  • In this world we are in,has lots of graduates who are either unemployed or underemployed.

This is a great cause for being financially cripple.

My project is to train, educate,empower and mentor Teens,youths and women to enhance their capacity to become change agents,live excellently and be financially independent.

I look forward to a world where everyone is gainfully employed via both hard and soft skills.

I
    E
    2 Replies
  • This is wonderful. Kudos

• Don't give up

• Excellent ideas.

Together we can create the world we want ...
    Let us keep on

• It is possible

• Good reflexion

• C'est un module très instructif. On a tendance à faire des hypothèses quand aux besoins des bénéficiaires des programmes communautaires, mais cette session vient nous ramener à l'ordre.

• C'est un module très instructif. On a tendance à faire des hypothèses quand aux besoins des bénéficiaires des programmes communautaires, mais cette session vient nous ramener à l'ordre.

• The future generation's good life, depends on very current treating process to the children. The children need to be raised well, with all package provided for their future to be bright and hence provide to the needed future world. Being said however, the capabilities to provide the children with early childhood development services still needs some milestones to cover. The recognition of the effort embedded in this so far is there. However, the stakeholders like government, NGOs and so forth need to fasten for ensuring the great living conditions and provision of all needed services for the children to develop well which will impact their future.

G
    1 Reply
  • Agree with you, but I think we're having a lot of stakeholders who might have tried building the capacities of the unemployed for them to move up. Re-looking on what in it different from theirs can support more.

• Cool, the world really needs the children with dignity to build a strong future.

• I think any problems solution starts from oneself. Understanding the problem and how it is connect with one's behavior definitely opens up the doors to many solution to just one problem. Other way is people living around us can help us by giving a different perspective of approaching towards a solution.

• A neighborhood where young children are always accompanied by an older individual when walking along neighborhood streets. Where all families in the neighborhood have access to day care facilities for their young children and a support system where their children are ensured accompaniment or transport to school/daycare and community facilities. A neighborhood with safe accessible public recreation spaces for young children.

1 Reply
  • The ideal world my organisation aims to achieve is a world where there's inclusion and participation of women in every political, economic, social and cultural aspect of the society , a world where women celebrate women, a world where there's more development rate among women. Women advancement world is my ideal world

• This is amazing!

• In the ideal world where the problem I am dealing with is solved, measures have been taken by the authorities in consultation with the actors of the sector to facilitate the supply of inputs (day-old chicks, hatching eggs, equipment), thus leading to an increase in the supply of poultry products (chickens and table eggs) on the local market.

• We strive to create a world where all Out-of-school youths have opportunity to upgrade themselves economically and professionally regardless of initial education status.

M
    2 Replies
  • The Ideal world for my beneficiaries will have the girl child have access to good uninterrupted education, good health and no pregnancy thereby preparing them for brighter futures

• The world is getting more digital and tech oriented. Given this change, the nature of businesses is also changing. In my small community, I have always seen the gap in computing technical skills among youth and women. Empowering them with relevant tech skills like programming and data science, business support, and mentorship, we will have a "Silicon Valley" in the coast of Kenya. In an ideal world, youth and women will be operating and growing their businesses seamlessly. They will have access to technical training in tech, build unicorns and ventures (successful businesses, and access top notch mentors in the respective spaces of their businesses. In this new world, youth and women will have the ability to create more employment and contribute positively in their communities' development agenda and further contribute in geopolitical matters relating to youth and women friendly economic policies.

• @FELAD said in Module 2: Discussion:

In this world we are in,has lots of graduates who are either unemployed or underemployed.

This is a great cause for being financially cripple.

My project is to train, educate,empower and mentor Teens,youths and women to enhance their capacity to become change agents,live excellently and be financially independent.

I look forward to a world where everyone is gainfully employed via both hard and soft skills.

This is a great initiative. i wish you the best in launching this program.

L
    1 Reply
  • The Ideal world for my beneficiaries will have the girl child have access to good uninterrupted education, good health and no pregnancy thereby preparing them for brighter futures

• great initiative

• Great initiative

• I have assessed the society and see most infant and young children are suffering from the lack of nutrition supplies and elderly suffering from the lack of healthy food not forgetting the people with disabilities to support their livelihoods...

D
    1 Reply
  • Sexual and reproductive health for youths is vital to a health and safe society of future generations. Provision of youth friendly health services is key to achieve a society where there is a reduced number of teenage pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases among youth. All youths will have accessed and be reached with sexual and reproductive health education and communication through different channels and media. Youth groups and support systems will be put in place where they do not exist to enhance interaction and sharing of information and experiences among the youth. Youth drop in centres and clinics will be established at a distance of atleast 5kms from each other to allow the youth to access sexual reproductive health services like family planning methods, Sexually transmitted diseases prevention and treatment methods. 98% of health workers will receive training and capacity building support to empower them to handle and assist youths accordingly on sexual and reproductive health issues. Development of a policy to guide stakeholders and partners in delivery of Youth Friendly Health Services will be carried out within the first year.

I
    G
    2 Replies
  • We are living in the world that Majority (60%) of the population were living in rural communities or areas, and they depend much on livelihood activates to earn living /survival. Addressing rural population problem, would not give pressure to the Governments and partners to continue to pour resources to address their Needs. It would allow resources to be utilized into more advance technology and innovation to leverage Global issues (e.g. climate change).

• Well said, and this issue need to be addressed globally. If childrens were not properly nurtured and raised, we do not know what the future will bring.

• With our proposed solution in our organization, I see a safer country with security far away from violence and all social vices that have characterized every streets in our society. Giving destitute and youths on the street platform to live a decent life by taking them off the streets, mentoring, counseling and giving them skills in the area of their interest will create a safer world for us, boost our economy and encourage communal relationships just as it used to be in the days of old.

D
    L
    2 Replies
  • Youth focused programs will create a safer world for everyone

• Problem: The uninsured do not have access to laboratory services
    In an ideal world every person would have equal access to healthcare so there would be no uninsured people and every one would have access to the diagnostic resources that they need.

D
    1 Reply
  • I agree early detection is key to so many diseases.

• I agree early detection is key to so many diseases.

• One of the biggest challenges to employee mental health and wellness in Bermuda has been the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Businesses owners have had to close organizations that were once operational for years, employers have been forced to make redundancies or reductions in salaries; and as a result, employees have found themselves trying to maintain employment with less income, adjust to life without any at all, or apply for unemployment benefits. In an ideal world where the problem I am addressing is solved, the employment issues that coupled the COVID-19 pandemic would resolve just as quickly as they presented and take the way that employee’s mental health and wellness suffered with it. Unfortunately, until employees find themselves back in a state of homeostasis, it is important that they are provided the mental health services that they need during such unprecedented times.

My problem statement proposes that every business in Bermuda should have an accredited mental health and wellness provider for their employees. My non-profit organization has seen the difficulties that arise without proper employee support and hence my reason for offering this as a community problem that deserves a solution.

L
    1 Reply
  • Universal healthcare is a global problem that I'm sure every individual can agree deserves a solution. The research supporting this statement is overwhelming yet sadly we still find ourselves without it. I would be interested in learning how your non-profit organization proposes to remedy this problem. It is one that is long overdue and a template for resolution would be welcomed.

• You raise an interesting solution to an ongoing community problem. Will your program also consider continued education, employment readiness/suitability, housing, budgeting/finances, etc? I think that it is great that as philanthropists we devise ways to remove at risk youth from their environments, but I think that it is even more important that our resources focus on preparing them for reintegration and sustainability (so that they don't return to their old lifestyle) as well.

• I agree, I believe that non-profit organizations will always find a need for services with our vulnerable populations. There is a post a bit further down about a universal health care initiative. In an ideal world I wonder how your problem statement and theirs could be resolved collectively? Maybe ensuring that your youth and elderly population have access to healthcare and as a part of that access to proper food and nutrition as well?

• In this ideal world, where my problem statement has been resolved, Covid difficulties would no longer make it difficult for non-profits to have a strong supply of volunteers to hep deliver their services. If we are able to provide a safe means of return, volunteers, typically older retirees would be able to enjoy the social aspect of engaging in community service and students who volunteer on school break would have the opportunity to return to learning employable skills. Volunteers don't cost the non-profit financially, enabling them to direct more funds toward their particular programs, which benefit their clients directly and the community as a whole.

• The knock-on effect of educating and engaging with youth will be strong. When you give youth the opportunity and guidance, educate them and mentor them so they see a future, economically and socially. Everyone benefits within a community where there's equal opportunity to be of value.

• Dr. Bean, being Bermudian, I would support any efforts that provide and ensure access to mental health agencies and professionals within every local business. The need was there prior to Covid and the need has been reinforced with all of the difficulties both employer and employees have had to face. This pandemic has exacerbated much of what was below the surface for many years.

• Emmanuel - best of luck! I think you may find some great opportunities to partner with businesses that are lacking employees or struggling to restart their business as we get through this phase of Covid.

• In an ideal world the word diabetes is no longer a stigma or associated with shame. A cure for Type1 diabetes have been found and healthy living habits are the norm so we no longer have to worry about the threat of diabetes.

• In an ideal world the word diabetes is no longer a stigma or associated with shame. A cure for Type1 diabetes have been found and healthy living habits are the norm so we no longer have to worry about the threat of diabetes.

@Katie_Berry said in Module 2: Discussion:

In the ideal world there would be no litter, with receptacles in ideal spots so people could choose to get rid of their rubbish responsibly. Neighbourhoods would have flowers and trees and not be fouled by illegal dumping and lack of responsibility for rubbish. Individuals would not only take responsibility for their neighbourhoods and their own rubbish, but they would choose to make choices that meant rubbish was reduced. This ideal world would be supportive of individuals who needed help and would educate their children as to why it matters to care about your home, your space, your school and your neighbourhood and ensure they are litter free.

• In my ideal world all children would have access to knowledgeable and responsive caregivers who are able to support the development of social-emotional, cognitive , and language and literacy skills in a happy and curiosity supportive envirnoment.

1 Reply
  • I have 3 persons in my family who have been living with Type 1 diabetes since an early age. The oldest is my brother, who was diagnosed 53 years ago and the youngest is my son who was diagnosed 10 years ago. I agree with your ideal world and look forward to a society in which medical science has a cure for Type 1.

• In an ideal world, seniors will not have to go without proper medical care, medical aids, home repairs or major appliances. A lack of funds should not limit a senior's quality of life or safety.

• Supporting producers to produce profitably and sustainably from good agricultural practices will lead to a significant improvement in their standard of living.

• I fully agree with your idea, poorly managed waste apart from being a pollutant is impoverishing. Indeed, a good part of the budgets that should be devoted to other activities is used for their management.

• The saying goes "Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life". The implication of this statement is that the society is build upon what the mind is being feed with. The mind needs to be developed by the right kind of knowledge in order to be productive. Hence, the need for proper mentorship, training and impartation knowledge. This will invariably result to a thriving society devoid of man made ills/problems. I look forward to a world where young adults use their minds productively.

• I agree with you. Young children need the right kind of guidance and support from adults in order to develop properly to become productive and responsible members of the society.

• My problem statement focuses on the disconnect between a genuine/ effective provider organization and their gap in meeting 'business criteria and standards' that are applied. It is easy to tick off a description of performance by numbers but the greatest successes are not easily enumerated. A low-wage parent does not have income numbers to describe how to be a positive/perfect role model. A rich father may still be a very 'poor' role model as well.
    Ideally, these bodies will be assisted/supported to meet legitimate demands for transparency and accountability to show absence of a scam or very improper operations. At the same time, donors and support persons/volunteers should seek a full understanding. A long term relationship merits them investing in personal research about the organization rather than a 'quick' numbers review. .

• Hi MosheaJC,
    I find your comments about the child's development and its relationship between contents of the heart and mind to be very deep. I agree that how one is 'educated and trained' greatly impacts how one 'behaves'. We therefore think it essential to see that children receive proper guidance and mentoring and so on. Surely , history has shown us that the same applies to the population at large. We all recognize where society has gone rabidly askew and civilians have acted in the most inhumane and uncivilized fashion. We blame it on certain events or certain persons.
    Your comments gives a useful alternative perspective that accords particularly with the heart of 'my ideal world if my problem statement was resolved'. You make one realize that there is an opportunity and a responsibility to train society - - -all of us - - -to have desirable behaviours. This is a form of establishing and sharing cultural norms. It can be done overtly by community organizations based on religion or language or other factors. Such groups must be valued and sustained.

• Hi parentguide.
    We concur. The basis of the future is in the appropriate environment and supports for the development of the child. What about if we recognized that this applies to groups of individuals as it does to the singular? We see that it applies to groups of men - - - held together in prisons or in barracks or in university dorms or in monasteries etc. A group culture and behaviours will develop. We (society) need to take conscious responsibility for fostering what we wish to see or the random consequence that 'popup' can often be horrendously 'undesirable' and engrained.

We sometimes have 'group' aspects within our cultures - - - mores and traditions and history - - - that promote and sustain 'old' practices that we say we value but we ignore to embrace modernity and logic and business efficiency. Those old groups may have roles and achievements that can 'improve' society similarly to how we want to nurture the child's development. It is a part of the whole. the child is a unit in society. A nurtured society as a whole will automatically ensure that everyone nurtures all children and so perpetuate a nurtured and nurturing society. Perpetuate the needed groups and practices.

• After the problem of full-of-rubbish streets, the city will be cleaner and thereby healthier.

• You're rigth, qualified teachers are the cornerstone of the education success.

• it's better to consider on the needs and wants of beneficiaries.

• The ideal world, we would see no discrimination, we would see equality across the board. It is hard to imagine this to be possible, but we must strive continuously to stamp out discriminatory practice.

Identifying the causes of problems before beginning to solve them is so important for us because the organization could potentially streamline processes which will provide opportunities to diversify its approaches towards solutions.

• @celanour completely agree the qualification continuously of the teacher is a big step to keep develop better education. Most be a priority in the education system.

• @celanour completely agree the qualification continuously of the teacher is a big step to keep develop better education. Most be a priority in the education system.

• @slbrownwilliams completely agree. I think about discrimination you need to work in different areas, that is the hard work. We are exposed in our individual development to behaviors and practice, from our cultural background and society, that influence and build our concept in our life.

• Kids in poor conditions doesn't have access continuously to activities that help the development in art, as aren't considerate "essential".

• A world where the rural communities are not sideline with basic amenities due to lack of representation in the government. Where we can sleep with our eyes closed without thinking of whose house will be next because of the incessant attacks and robbery from hungry youths.

• This world is possible and I know very soon it will be achieved.

• This world is possible and I know very soon it will be achieved.

• The ideal method of problem statement begin according to the problem at hand and not how the problem came to existence.
    The link to the beneficiaries, interests and informed source is cardinal to create a substantial problem statement.

• @ThaoTran said in Module 2: Discussion:

In Module 2, you learned how to identify the needs and interests of your beneficiaries. The reading in this module encouraged you to envision a world in which the problem you are addressing is solved.

In a discussion post below, please describe this ideal world in which the problem you are addressing is solved. What would it look like?

After responding, please reply to at least one other learner and respond to their ideas.

In a world without sexual assault children would be learning from a young age how manage their emotions, build health relationships, make responsible decisions and be more aware of themselves and others. This would lead to a world with greater empathy and compassion where people are empowered to live in the fullness of their purpose with a healthy respect for self and others.

• When I think of addiction I liken it to diabetes. I never really associated a stigma with it as people get treatment, unlike how there is much less discussion about addiction and families try to hide. Thank you for sharing this point of view.

• Ideally the situation should be like in other communities, No stigmatization. And the community will have a very reduced occurrence of HIV new infections because they adopt the new strategies of HIV prevention methods and materials such as condom use and the latest which is PrEP.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.