Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Unrestricted funds is very helpful, we will definitely start to rise unrestricted funds, is very essential to keep the organisation running, we will also do more fund raising events

• The organization can arrange for small creative events, camps and programs in order to increase the amount of unrestricted gifts. This would definitely help in building the organizational capacity because the money received can be spent in several different ways by the organization as they deem fit

P
    M
    2 Replies
  • Yes the idea and action plan you stating here, is very smart and proactive

• Yes the idea and action plan you stating here, is very smart and proactive

• We will humbly asking our current donors to increase their gifts with certain indicated amount. This will in turn help the organization having enough cash for operational of other programs rather than depend on the funds that are restricted to the specific programs, while other activities, programs are in need of thee organization.

• We will humbly asking our current donors to increase their gifts with certain indicated amount. This will in turn help the organization having enough cash for operational of other programs rather than depend on the funds that are restricted to the specific programs, while other activities, programs are in need of thee organization.

1 Reply
  • yes arranging for small events will definately increase the flow of unrestricted donors...nice one

• The best way to raise unrestricted funds would be giving the potential donor a wide view on the various aspects of the organization, highlighting the need to support the organizational system as a whole.

• This is a good, very pragmatic idea.

• One of the best way is to think that can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about the support on specific donation,

the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.

Organizing fundraising events and funds raised form

Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial growth and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

N
    1 Reply
  • In order to increase the unrestricted funds for my organization we would increase more involvement in the community through more visibility and making our organization more accessible. For corporate we would approach them with a simplified resume to hold more events but also they will get the right to use our image

T
    1 Reply
  • Small, ongoing and unrestricted gifts are a basis for assured resources for implementation of our program, and would attract other gift from partners whose main focus is our impact and experience in the field.

• Small, ongoing and unrestricted gifts are a basis for assured resources for implementation of our program, and would attract other gift from partners whose main focus is our impact and experience in the field.

• 1-The increase in unrestricted donation amounts will be used to fund other programs, activities and needs of my organization
    2- The increase in the amount of unrestricted donations will make it possible to recruit more volunteers and ensure the operational costs of the organization

• I think you didn’t follow the question well. We asked which headings you can mention in your funding request proposal for an unrestricted donation. You spoke more about restricted funding

• I think we should partner

• One way of increasing my organization's amount of unrestricted gifts is by organizing a fundraising event.
    This could help build my organization's capacity by enhancing creative ways of reaching out to donors and the planning process is also another way identifying the available opportunities and training the members of the organization to effectively and efficiently take advantage of those opportunities.

D
    1 Reply
  • Since restrictions are loosening up on social gatherings, I think multiple small fundraising events in private homes of our volunteers or Board members, with invited friends and family of the host/hostess can help build the base for those unrestricted funds.
    Afternoon tea or after dinner dessert gatherings with the focus on fun, beneficiary stories and information about the organization would be how the event runs.

A
    1 Reply
  • Pitching my idea to my co workers in the office and asking them to donate small consistent amounts of money monthly. This would help the capacity building of my organization

1 Reply
  • the afternoon tea idea is great

• The one way of increasing NEYPAN's unrestricted support is by fund rising event
    unrestricted fund will build NEYPAM's capacity to maintain its staff and pay for its rent

A
    1 Reply
    1. Engaging more people in my network of acquaintances is a strategy that has potential in bringing in more financial support to the organization.
    2. By virtue of these resources helping in catering for other needs and activities, capacity is gradually built within the organization.
  • The one way of increasing NEYPAN's unrestricted support is by fund rising event
    unrestricted fund will build NEYPAM's capacity to maintain its staff and pay for its rent

1. One way to increase unrestricted gift is setting up a fundraising events through individual giving and small business can provide the support.

2. The gift is legal and will be used for anything. However, it is within our organization mission statement and the fund can be used for food, rent, travels, program, activities and even invest it in bank to get more value to our organization.

A
    1 Reply
  • Fund drawn from membership may help organization increase their donor pool either through letter, phone or via internet.

• There is likelihood that your coworkers might not believe in the organization, and as a result of that, they might not be given consistently every month.

• The current donors will not increase their giving except there is justification that their past giving has been fully utilized.

A
    1 Reply
  • One why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.
    Fundraising events help to boast the my organization financial strength and help not to involve in the restricted funds that the foundation have.

• Unrestricted funds is one way to keep everything in the organization running

• Not just payment of staffs stafry. It can practical cater for anything and everything

• Sounds plausible to me. Fundraising events will help generate unrestricted funds.

M
    1 Reply
  • To be more active in the social media and provide different ways in which potential donors can make their contributions.

• I agreed with you. Fundraising events are important.

• The most challenging part is the budget because it must be very detailed and cover all requirements. One strategy that I will use in the future is to be more specific and avoid to much adjectives.

• In the organization I work ,I think a Fund raising Event can be much best than others to get Unrestricted Fund. This can be done by Inviting Individual people who works in government, NGOs, private sector (eg. Mining company, our client(Fuel ,transport ,food supplier and others) Food processing (Value addition )in medium and small scale industries through having a field visit to where people we work with have benefited and having a reflection meeting event an evening together Food after the Visit. As long as the organization always works with these stakeholders.

This event will firstly continue to strengthen the Relation ships between the organization and the stakeholders and Also be used to raise unrestricted Fund.

A
    J
    2 Replies
  • so what is your method/way you can use to get unrestricted Fund? we want to learn specifically on what is the practical way to solicitation of unrestricted Fund according to you?

• I categorize and give priority to unrestricted fund as an organization is willing to use in all of their activities which is best part of it as decision lies in the hand of organization and also it is organization's responsibility to use it efficiently in effective manner.

• I think I can solicit unrestricted funds from religious organization engaged who are engaged in charity work

• I think I can solicit unrestricted funds from religious organization engaged who are engaged in charity work

• We should try to receive unrestricted donations by looking into smaller donations, not just grants.
    We require unrestricted funds for salaries, administration, travel, etc...

• In order to increase our organization's amount of unrestricted gifts, we need to strengthen the foundation of our pyramid. As the Module theory states this "the healthiest individual giving programs are those that are supported by the bedrock of many small, unrestricted, ongoing gifts". These unrestricted gifts can thus be increased by working on boosting our monthly donations in both of our crowdfunding platforms (national and international). These donations are key as they tend to be small amounts, but a high amount of these small donations and even better, monthly, will help us strengthen our foundation, as thus in the long run work on increasing a few of these monthly donations to large annual gifts. But it is important to start with the basics, and that is small donations.

This could help build our organization's capacity because it provides the base that we need to rely on during difficult times. Moreover, when we work to increase a few of these small donations to large annual gifts, we are also working on our fundraising strategies, which can always continue to improve.

K
    1 Reply
  • These are some great ideas! I completely agree with implementing events. Personally, our NGO has not done one in over 10 Years, but I do think it is important to start that again, because as you state inviting individuals from various sectors could increase the probability of receiving much needed unrestricted funds! Also your point about strengthening relationships with stakeholders is by far the most crucial aspect of a great fundraising strategy, as it builds trust and provides transparency for not only the possible/future donor, but their network as well (family and friends).

• The one way I have learnt and which I think would be helpful in increasing my organisations amount of unrestricted gifts is organising and holding fundraising events. This would help marketing our training programs to many people and would be a good source of partnership with potential organisations.

• I agree with you, I seem to like fundraising events as well, the organisation needs to set its clear objectives and set a clear target and plan the event properly in good and realistic time. fundraising events bring in many people at once and if planned well you get the required funds in one go but you might further your networks.

• The way I think that should help my organization raising unrestricted gifts is to receive small amount of money from different businesses and ongoing grants. the two are going to support the organization activities on the short and longterm period.

W
    1 Reply
  • Planning a fundraising event in my community
    It will contribute to the fund base of the organization because it is targeted small, ongoing source of funds which is unrestricted

L
    1 Reply
  • well said the funds are unrestricted and can be used for other things other than the project

• Social media can be a great way to build a community that supports our cause

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    In my Country, Mexico, the best time to solicit funds to government agencies and big companies is in the 4th Quarter (October-December) because most companies have to spend all their money before the end of the fiscal year. This is an advantage and a way to get unrestricted funding.

Another way to get unrestricted funds would be through a partnership with a Sports Management company (that organizer all sorts of races, triathlons, ironman’s), and through an advertising campaign with sponsors, invite the participants to run for a cause. For each mile they run, the organization receives an amount not just from the organizers but also from athletes.

2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?
    IT would give the organization the liberty to use its resources, and raise it’s own money. Also help plan and overcome any unplanned.

It would allow the organization to make itself known, with a strong impact.

• The one way to increase the unrestricted funds is creating donation for mission. If we do so we can use fund both in expanding our project which allign with our organization mission and also to built internal capacity building.

• I can increase the organization's amount of unrestricted gifts through the individual funding. This can help to build the organization's capacity as we can ask for increase in the funding amount over time.

• I like your idea of fundraising.

• I think this is good idea.

• this idea sounds great

• how are you planning to do that?

• I could increase unrestricted funding through getting as many individual donors as possible who would offer small but ongoing gifts which in turn would help in the operating of the programs that we run in our organization

1 Reply
  • Great ideas to start with

• We need to focus on more year end giving that would help us with increasing our programs.

• Fundraising events to attract individual donors would be a great way to build on our organizations fundraising and attract more donors. It would also be a great way to add to the "base of our pyramid" with more small ongoing unrestricted donations that would help both the growth and sustainability of our organization (and hopefully later attract larger donors.)

K
    1 Reply
  • One way my organisation can increase its funding is by targeting individuals to support with donations.

M
    1 Reply
  • Building women more especially orphans financially handicap women

• Type of supports:
    Emotional Support.
    Informational Support.
    Tangible Support.
    Self-esteem or Affirmational Support.
    Belonging Support.

• Type of supports:
    Emotional Support.
    Informational Support.
    Tangible Support.
    Self-esteem or Affirmational Support.
    Belonging Support.

• Types of support:
    (a) informational
    (b) emotional
    (c) esteem
    (d) social network support
    (e) tangible support.

• Emotional Support.
    Informational Support.
    Tangible Support.
    Self-esteem or Affirmational Support. ...
    Belonging Support.

• I think to increase the unrestricted fund we need to make a fundraise that not specify any certain project in the description of the fundraising event.

Having adequate unrestricted fund will give chances to the organization to use the money to do everything its needed for the organization, as long as it is within the organization mission statements. If there is enough money, organization could have their staff trained, organize volunteers, and any other capacity building activities for the staff.

• It is a really good idea to et involved more with the community. The awareness from the people around the organization will help us to raise multiple small unrestricted donation.

G
    1 Reply
  • One way to raise unrestricted funding is through fund raising events. Because the funds are unrestricted, it can be used for anything to increase the capacity of the organization.

• The funds can be applied also in anyway the organization finds prudent to increase capacity. I like your idea

• 1: What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
    More small fundraisers for unrestricted gifts like the example given from the lady for Nepal.
    2: How could this help build your organization’s capacity?
    We would get more money to cover administrative costs that many donors would not usually fund

• I totally agree this is very helpful

• I agree. The grants look very appealing but if you are not ready to manage them or do not qualify its a waste of time to apply for them

• Can In-kind support garantee a hope of touching cash support from donors?

• set context, make it clear that the donation is for more than the single single-focus offer, and a disclaimer for how your funds are distributed.

• Through tapping more more into many, small unrestricted ongoing gifts. After subscribing the donor, the next thing is to identify those who will increase their gifts in subsequent years and the focus on upgrading them to give more and rise up the pyramid. This will build the capacity of the organization in the sense that this assures this enhances financial sustainability if the funding is ongoing and most of the donors are upgraded from the bottom of the pyramid over time. With sustained funding its easier to maintain a motivated set of staff since their will be funds to cater for their remuneration. Further there will be reduced staff turn over.

• I agree with you @KIFARA_Benjamin2020 . Receiving many, small unrestricted and ongoing gifts is the deal

• @Ekene_Randolf a good way but there are far much better ways like focusing on businesses and individuals that can give many, small unrestricted ongoing gifts

1. What is one way you can think of to increase your organization’s amount of unrestricted gifts?
      I think that I could work with my team to increase the membres of the organization from which we can have membership fees and also increase fundraising event of public interest.

2. How could this help build your organization’s capacity?
      Mobilizing new members would increase our human resources and broaden our list of potential participants of our activities as each member would contribute by mobilizing their close relations. Fundraising events would be an opportunity to mobilize new members or sympathisant in the organization.

G
    1 Reply
  • totally disagree

• One way my organization can increase funding is membership dues and levies.

M
    1 Reply
    1. One way to build up our unrestricted funds would be to have more events throughout the year, especially small, low-cost events that gather local donors (e.g.: house party).

2. This would help build our organization's capacity because we have a decent number of members / annual donors, but having small events to keep them engaged throughout the year (and bring in new local members/donors) is something we could benefit from

A
    1 Reply
  • it is important to contact your local corporations to have meetings and comunicate your mission

• what does that mean?

• a,azingOne why that I think can lead to my organization unrestricted funds or gift is by avoiding to tell the donors about their support to your organization base on specific donation, because you specify the kind of support you want your donor it will be restricted funds and it should be used for that purpose.
    Secondly, another why my organization can increase their unrestricted funds is my organizing fundraising events and funds raised form this evey will be used under unrestricted funds like paying bills, paying staff and more.

• The way we raise fund to keep my organization running apart from restricted grant is through event. We organize friends fest where friends, relatives, colleagues and acquaints are invited and served small chops with light music. Thereafter, we share testimony by a beneficiary of our program and then tell about our mission and program. People give to support our program. We use the money realized to fund project and operations.

• Good ideas and helps in keeping the organization running if well managed especially membership subscription

• They are several types of fundings: restricted and unrestricted fundings. Restricted fundings are mostly run by foundations, corporations while unrestricted can be performed on a fundraising activities where individuals express themselves.

• Membership could be a great way for my organization to raise unrestricted support. With additional support our organization could increase our efforts and capacity for change by expanding our reach and in turn expanding our donor base.

• the manner in which i can increase the amount of unrestricted gifts is by using the specific term as mentioned by TOM as to other programs and needs of the organisation. thats a wonderful way to put out the needs and message for support towards unrestricted funds.
    also on a strategic aspect to reach out to the donors on the bottom of the pyramid to seek addition focused support towards the cause and gauge their appetite for further support and engagement.

• This s the correct answer,to boost an organization unrestricted fund is by running an event fundraising.

• nice session and module, helps in aligning the organisation strategy and business plan to acquire more support and programmatic interventions

• 1: Fundraising Gala Dinner
    2: Expanding our programs, human resources and partners base.

• That's very helpful.

• I like the donor engagement part.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.