Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Hello everyone
    The myth that surprised me the most was number 3, i.e. in fundraising both parties receive something, the organisation may get a benefit but the donor receives a part of the organisation, a part of something that can transform the world.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because it seemed to me that statistics and facts are more valid and reliable than what someone says

• All this time I use to think that You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. Today I have just learnt that's not the best thing to do

• All this time I use to think that You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible. Today I have just learnt that's not the best thing to do

• I was particularly surprised by myth number 4. I had always believed that it was crucial to lobby donors by extensively sharing information about our organization and the projects we have successfully implemented. However, I have come to realize that instead of merely telling them, it is more effective to listen to their perspectives and share a compelling story that will capture their interest.
    With this in mind, I would like to inquire about the appropriate timing to provide them with detailed information about our organization. Additionally, I am curious to know what techniques we should employ to captivate their attention and gain their support for our cause.

• Tom Wolf did a great job in explaining the myths. In my case, myths 4 & 5 were the surprises, because I see them as complementary to each other. In my mind, if you speak about your organization/project, backing it up with well prepared stats you should be well on your way to convincing a donor of why you merit their support. But there's obviously more to it than that.

• I wondered about Myth 2 been false, because I though donors are all about rich people

• I totally agree with you. No 4 and 5 was really eye opening for me. I used to think that telling potential donors a lot is the way to go and that statistics and facts were more important. Now I know better. I'll definitely be able to tweak my fundraising approach with this knowledge that I have now.

• I was surprised by this myth as well. I always thought the donor would be interested in all the details about the organization and project. Also, I thought that this was important for both parties (donor and organization) to connect and get to know each other better.

@MissionaryAkoroMawina-esso said in Module 1 Discussion: The 7 Myths of Fundraising:

hi,
    i really appreciate all the insghtfull ideas shared in this module, in fact i learned a lot because i was having so much difficulties about how to raise funds for start up organization ,But now i know how to start. The myth that surprise me is te number four; as a beginner, i thought i should let the donor know more about my organization rather

• I agree, I was most surprised to learn that myth 5 was not true because I thought that when making my case to donors, I had to provide statistics and facts in order to make a compelling case. Therefore, I thought that statistics and facts were the most important and the only things that really mattered in to get donors.
    One question I have about myth 5 is, How can I get donors to buy in to my cause?

• I thought one is supposed to be a superstar for her or him to be a fundraiser

• Yes, i agree. 3. In fundraising, one person gives and another receives, is what caught me off guard. I was not thinking about it being a partnership although it certainly is. Intangibles are important as well.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because I dont really agree with it. I think when fundraising on with small business and organizations, of course - its about understading needs, resources and people but when taking fundraising to a higher level - it is also about knowing what rich people think, and how they act and what I can say to make them interested in joining

• This also surpirsed me!

• The biggest blow I got after reading is that fundraising is not all about receiving the money. If this is the case, then the word "fundraising" itself should be meaningless.

• I was most surprised to learn about myth 5. One question I have about myth 5 is that you have facts or works done to demonstrate .

• I used to believe that cash would be the greatest result, but now I realise how valuable intangible items can be as well, alongside tangible items that can be given.

• I think most of us overlooked the fact that both parties receive something in the end ! not one person gives and the other receives . This really had opened my eyes and made me think in a different way when approaching the donor.

• nice to join big familly

• Honest stories are more compelling when shared. This is because the aim of such it to transform people's lives, and as such, stories can be told even in 100 years.

• The myths definitely brought clarity to my prospective of fundraising. The myths 2,3,4 and 5 gave me a different prospective towards the topic and I will definitely avoid these myths in future.

• I have always believed that fundraising is one person gives and another receives, I never knew the donor sometimes gets an unseen/intangible gain.
    This course has made me understand the real meaning of fundraising

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 6, "A great fundraiser is an individual superstar," was not true because it challenges the traditional notion of fundraising being solely dependent on individual charisma or talent. It emphasizes the importance of teamwork, collaboration, and building strong relationships with donors and stakeholders. One question I have about myth 6 is how organizations can effectively foster a culture of teamwork and collaboration among fundraisers to maximize their impact and success in achieving fundraising goals.

F
    1 Reply
  • The only myth that surprised me was myth number 4, "You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible."
    I don't have any questions, as everything was answered in the explanation.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 7 because, With so much technology and the evolution of the Internet, it is hard for me to think that the Internet has not changed how to fundraise money for an organization, in these modern times, everything is electronic and with a minimum of human contact. One question I have about myth 7 is,

• However, one question is what does it mean to be a superstar? Being able to empathize and transmit the emotions and needs of others is a great skill....

• I really loved the idea that fundraising is more like a partnership. Something else that I learned that it's extremely valuable is that fundraisers don't work alone. There are som nay different parts and ways to involve your team. It's truly a team work!

• Yes absolutely, our listening skills can do wonders.

1. No Fundraising is not only about getting cash.
    2. you don't have to know rich people to be an effective fundraiser
    3. False, in fundraising each other receive someting
    4. Watch and listen when you're with a donor. And as far as possible, follow the things they say, leading wherever possible to points of connection with you and your organization and its activities.
    5. Donors are more interested in the organization's real-life stories of concrete achievements in helping users.
    6. Fundraising is what I call a team sport, so it can't be done alone.
    7. Yes i agree with this statement
  • I must say myth number 5 really shocked because I thought that was all that mattered when trying to raise funds but I'm very happy for this enlightenment

• The myth that surprised me the most was number four- "you should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible." I always believed it was best to share as much as possible especially the success stories as well the challenges but how the organization has overcome them/will overcome them. However, after listening to Tom I understand now how important it is to really listen to the donor and lead the conversation so that I may discover more areas of their interest and how my organization aligns with those interests. I loved the story he told on how he was simply a friend visiting someone at a hospital and it led to a donation!

• Fundraising seems so difficult for me before, because I believed the myth #2 Raising money is all about knowing rich people. but now I know how to breakdown the ones that seems insignificant to be the real deal for example starting from my family. Thanks to this course and prof Tom's 7 myths of fundraising lessons.

1. Fundraising is only about getting cash.
    2. Raising money is all about knowing rich people.
    3. In fundraising, one person gives and another receives.
    4. You should always try to tell a donor as much about your organization or project as possible.
    5. When you're making your case to a donor, statistics and facts are the only things that matter.
    6. A great fundraiser is an individual superstar.
    7. The Internet has completely changed how we do fundraising.
  • I was most surprised to learn about myth 4 and how to connect with potential donor; trying to know more about them and see how you can connect them best with the organization. I never thought about it that way, I thought telling as much as you can about the organization was more credible. Thank you for breaking down all these myths about fundraising.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because, as a genuinely curious person, I want all the answers, especially if i am contributing financially. One question I have about myth 4 is where is the line? how can you be sure you're sharing enough but not too much?

• These myths are correct and comprehinsible and the way to overcome its

• A myth that surprised me was that one person gives and another receives. Yes, most donors usually don't anticipate receiving anything in return other than an acknowledgement letter for their donations - learning that there's more to it was enriching. As such, making connections with them beyond their donation, receive a membership to the organization, etc.

• As a young social entrepreneur, this module has been amazing and surprising due to the fact that I believed strongly that some of the myths are true. For example, I believed in myth number 4, where I have to talk too much and try to explain what I do to the donor. When I was told in this module and gave it some thought, it helped me realise how I should let the donor talk so that i could read his mind and know how I could offer something to him in return for the donation.

S
    1 Reply
  • I agree. I often too hastily assume that I know what someone is interested in and what kind of story I should tell them. I should be more intentional about asking good questions and really getting to know a funder or an institution before I start telling them about my organization.

• I was most surprised that the internet hasn’t changed fundraising. I thought that websites like GoFundMe would change the processes of fundraising.

• I was surprised that the internet and sites like Go Fund Me haven’t changed fundraising.

• This myth was also very interesting to me! Knowing that relationships with donors works both ways encourages me to ask donors for donations.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 6, "A great fundraiser is an individual superstar," is not true because it challenges the conventional idea of fundraising as a solo endeavor. This myth debunking highlights the importance of teamwork, collaboration, and relationship-building in successful fundraising efforts. It emphasizes the value of collective effort and shared responsibility within an organization's fundraising team, rather than placing undue pressure on individual fundraisers to single-handedly achieve fundraising goals.

One question I have about myth 6 is how organizations can effectively foster a culture of collaboration and teamwork among their fundraising staff to maximize their collective impact.

• Myth #4 was one that I've learned the hard way and is great to have emphasized I used to meet with donors and think the purpose was to tell them as much as possible about the work our organization was doing. What I found was that when I got back to the office, I couldn't inform next steps in the donor relationship because I had learned so little about the donor. I wish someone had told me this myth before! thank you.

• Great learning! I was surprised to learn that raising money is all about knowing rich people but instead is all about networking with people, friends, family and acquaintances, and there is always a possibility that they might refer you to their network.

• I thought that having a website was enough to attract donors. I finally realized that in addition to having an up-to-date website, you need to develop a thorough strategy for successful fundraising.

• This was such an eye-opening module. It demystified the world of fundraising for me. I don’t feel so intimidated by it anymore. I look forward to learning more about the language of Fundraising. How did you find it?

• This has been an eye-opening experience. It has totally shattered my misconceptions about fundraising. It has also made it less daunting and inaccessible, the way I thought it was. What about you?

• I was surprised b myth number 1 which states states that fundraising is not just getting money. i thought that when one is soliciting for support is tahs to be in cash alone but learnt that it can be in form of goods, food and people donating time.

• It is interesting to note how stories are more effective than statistical number!

• Very great learning! this course really helped me a lot ,i learned that fundraising is not knowing rich but connecting with people ,anyone can be a donor in one way or another!

• Knowing donor's interest is better

• l was surprised that you can give something to donors or you can help them to get something they want

• It is really pleasant to know the myths which are associated with the fund raising and we being freshers don't know the reality. Anyone working on fund raising currently, please connect with me in my linkedin as i am available there as 'Kamrul Hoque' student at Azim Premji University Bengaluru, India.

• I was most surprised to learn that there were myths in fundraising. All the myths were new to me but I left learning what is really true about fundraising.

• I was surprised at myth number 2 as I thought the richer the donors the larger the donations you would receive but starting off with many smaller donations can out weigh the big ones sometimes

• With my previous fundraising campaigns, I try to explain as much as possible about my cause and organization following Myth 4. I thought it was very necessary to be transparent and to show the org's mission. I was successful in receiving cash donations but I always wondered why the donors do not return or care about the next campaigns. It always took a lot of energy trying to secure donors and explain the cause the next time around. I learned through this course that if we invest our time initially on really getting to know the donors and listen, we may form a deep personal connection leading them to care about my cause whenever we run another campaign. Plus, it won't take as much as energy like before when we try to "educate" the donors about our cause. It's boring and repetitive anyways. And instead, we can invest more energy on making the donors feel important and involved.

• Even though fundraising is critical part of our lives, I didn't know about the basics (until I just finished the first module).

• At first I thought I was suppose to tell the donors all things about my organization, but after this module, I know that donors do talk about what they want, all you have to do is listen to them and act accordingly

• What I wondered most was knowing that myth 1 was not true because you can help with other resources, which gives versatility to donors.

• I felt the same way about these myths, not completely new information. Although, I did think that you should tell donors as much info about the organization that they are being asked to support. However, it makes sense to get them talking about themselves more to move the focus to the donor vs the nonprofit.

• That statistics and facts only matter, I have considered an emotional behaviour or decision as a motivator, but it makes sense that statistics would drive donors as they do in so many other professional fields we all operate in

• iT CLARIFIES SO MUCH ALL ASPECTS. -better than i expected to learn

• One person gives and the other receives always sticks out to me as it can feel that way if Donors are not properly stewarded and thanked,

• One person gives and another received always stands out to me. This can feel true when Donors are not properly thanked and stewarded.

• I feel Myth 3 - One person gives and another receives is very important. People that donate are getting the “the good feeling” of knowing they are helping to make a difference, but it is also important for organizations to thank and steward their donors properly.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 2 was not true because only rich people have money, as far as I know. One question I have about myth 2 is how to raise money when your network is not that rich.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 3, because you have to remember that in the nonprofit world the intangible benefit of feeling apart of something is something one receives after giving a donation to a cause they love.

• I was surprise to know not sharing everything about an organisation is better than telling it all which could bore the donor.

• The item that suprised me was myth number 4, as transparency seems key. But i understand now it's about listening—about them not us.

• I was most surprised to learn that myth 4 was not true because it's often emphasized to provide donors with as much information as possible. However, upon reflection, inundating donors with excessive information might overwhelm them and detract from the core message.

One question I have about myth 4 is whether there's a balance between providing enough information to donors and avoiding overwhelming them with too much detail.

• I was really surprised to find out that myth #2 wasn't true. I always thought successful fundraising heavily relied on knowing wealthy people. It was eye-opening to learn that you can actually start with any network, big or small, rich or not. Everyone has something to offer. How do you encourage people who might not have a lot to give financially to still get involved and feel like they're making a difference?

• It's a relief to see and hear that most of my assumptions about fundraising were myths. However, it seems like a lot of nonprofit organizations need a refersher on fundraising.

• This was a great lesson for me and i taugh it was not ok for me to start with my family members because in my mind i think they do not have much to offer not knowing that their friends migh get connected to others who would definately support if they are interested in the project and it could continue in that manner as many get to know about the project we working on.

• Before this cours I use to think that rich people are the key to eny organisations.
    But now I now beside of rich people you need to know kind people and caring ones.

• I appreciate the basic wisdom and advice on how we can self-identify a broader range of potential collaborators to help support our efforts.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.