Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• A story that was memorable to me was one that I heard as a kid in my church, it was about the difficult life of children in the rural area. It touched me deeply that time. I remember I promise myself that I would be joining the child sponsorship program once I have my own money to support the program.

• A story found compelling and touching was the story I read about the children living in Afghanistan and the impact of war and some of them recruited as suicide bombing or the way women were maltreated and always taken to be lesser than it commodity in some parts of the middle east, I felt sad for them, and I truly wanted to help in anyway to remove them from their situation

• Something that happened to my daughter that really moved me was in 2017 - she was 13 years at that stage and had to undergo heart surgery that couldn't wait long. Due to the fact that as a single mom I had no medical insurance, and would have to pay for the surgery in excess of R100 000. I had two weeks to get the deposit together, and as one of the sources, we decided on crowd funding. On little boy of 9 years saw the article in the news paper, he saw the photos of her dancing in a performance, he apparently danced as well, and wrote her a beautiful letter in his own writing, telling her that she looked so beautiful on stage, and how sorry he was that she was now so sick. He literally sent us via friends his little piggy bank full on change to use - it was not a lot, but it was the most beautiful thing ever! It made me feel so thankful that there are such caring out there from strangers. Yes, the news articles of her dancing ( she was invited to dance internationally) and her being too sick to do that and how she really needed the surgery, enabled my to put down the 60% deposit 2 weeks later. I think it had something to do with people seeing where she came from, her potential that she could reach, but the hurdle that she had so overcome, just reminded them how precious life is, and they donated.

• That is terrible! I would also join a movement to bring issues like this to the public eye - imagine being forced your whole life to do something against your will trying to raise ( as a result) your children to be fully rounded people but you don't even have your freedom

• The story I found really powerful is the story about the ham in the pan. A woman cuts off the sides of her ham and places it in the oven. The daughter notices and asked, "Why do you cut off the edges off the ham, Mom?" The woman considers to depth of the question and answers, "I don't know. Ask your grandma." The little girls goes to the living room askes her grandma, "Grandma, why do you cut off the edges of the ham?" The grandma says, "Growing up during the depression, I only had one pan and it was too small, once I cut off the edges, I was able to make the ham fit." Moral of the story: Don't just follow traditions blindly.

• I agree. I enjoy reading an underdog story anything day. The human potential in everyone of us regardless of social status or education is phenomenal.

• A story found compelling and touching was the story I read about the children living in Afghanistan and the impact of war and some of them recruited as suicide bombing or the way women were maltreated and always taken to be lesser than it commodity in some parts of the middle east, I felt sad for them, and I truly wanted to help in anyway to remove them from their situation

• When I joined my organization, I joined because I wanted to make an impact in my community. After I joined, hearing stories of how it all started and how we got to the point we are now as an organization made me more committed to helping children on the streets.

• I found the tale woven by the Girl Rising non-profit nothing short of a powerful narrative that not only captivates the heart but also ignites the flames of social change. Picture this: a symphony of nine ordinary yet extraordinary girls, each with a unique story that transcends the ordinary bounds of society. Their narratives, brilliantly portrayed in the original Girl Rising film, serve as a beacon of inspiration and a catalyst for transformation.

• A story i found powerful was about this young man who decided to shave and wash people suffering from mental diseases. He was starting a crowdfunding in order to buy a truck that could help him go through the country to help as many people as he could.

That story changed my point of view about people with mental illnesses. Usually, we don’t even care about them in the streets and see someone putting some light on them made me understand that ignorance from us is also what make them feel worse.

I
    1 Reply
  • A while back, I worked on Girl Rising, a nonprofit focused on empowering girls, for a group case study. I found the tale woven by the Girl Rising non-profit nothing short of a powerful narrative that not only captivates the heart but also ignites the flames of social change. Picture this: a symphony of nine ordinary yet extraordinary girls, each with a unique story that transcends the ordinary bounds of society. Their narratives, brilliantly portrayed in the original Girl Rising film, serve as a beacon of inspiration and a catalyst for transformation. It's an experience that inspires you, a testament to the incredible impact storytelling can have in shaping a better, more inclusive world

• A story I found really powerful was when I saw a group of women celebrating getting a borehole of clean water in their area. it made me feel empathetic as at times we take for granted some of the most important things in life that mean the world to someone else.

• Thank you for sharing the story that inspired you @JWLANGDON! Dealing with mental illness not only requires inner strength but also support from society - both professional and social. Some stories depict these factors so well. A story about loneliness and its attending mental struggles that really moved me is 'Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine' by Gail Honeyman

• Would you need help if your were blind? Please help

• Thank you for sharing this amazing story! It is amazing that the core skills of the hunter were recognized to enable him to pivot from a destroyer to a preserver. We all need that help to put our skills and potential to the right cause.

• I am very interested in language, cognition and literacy. The one story that really stands out in my memory is ‘Through Streets Broad and Narrow’ by Gemma Jackson. The novel tells the story of strength and determination shown by the protagonist, a poor girl in the 1920s Dublin tenement life. What really inspired me was the role played by literacy in skilling her to improve her life in incremental ways. Not only does she learn to read and write, but she fearlessly asks for help from people who could help her with this. The immediate results of literacy in helping her document the inventory of her small business, manage the accounts and provide opportunities to improve her business is inspiring to read about.

Reading, writing and basic numeracy are important life skills to lead a productive, independent life. Literacy can also be a reservoir of many hours of joyful leisure, a spark for our aspirations. I experience this when I help young children from challenged situations to get the boost for enduring academic abilities through good foundational literacy skills. Seeing the children blossom from ‘students who need help’ to joyful, independent learners is a deeply satisfying experience.

• A story I found really powerful was the story of an old woman without a child. It made. Me feel so compassionate that I want to help with some domestic chores

• A story I found really powerful was the creation of the Upcycling Club at Mohammedia Youth Center by Ben Arous Youth Leaders. It made me feel inspired by how they turned waste into valuable artisanal products, addressing environmental issues and youth unemployment. This initiative showcases the transformative power of creativity and collective action, motivating a reconsideration of waste's potential and the importance of empowering young people to drive positive change in their communities.

• Nice story. It shows how much of a difference compassion and action can make in the lives of others.

• I am a CASA for foster youth. As part of our training, we heard from a social worker and listened to a 911-call placed by a young child while her parents were in the middle of a domestic dispute. I will never forget listening to that call. While this isn't a voluntarily told story, on the part of the 9-1-1 caller, those 30 seconds illustrated more than the workbooks and readings, charts and graphs, could ever have shown. While not for general consumption, this story increased my determination and dedication to serving through this organization and for the need for supportive services.

A
    1 Reply
  • A story of a boy who used to come to our programs because at home he was abused and that he did not want to run away from home because he had smaller siblings, we ended up finding a sponsor for the boy and his two sisters and we hope all will be well

• A story I found really powerful was the story of women in the Upper East region of Ghana who only depended on farming to survive and feed their families. It made me appreciate the privileges I have and things I took for granted .

• A story I found really powerful was about a man who was killed in the USA by a thief. He was in debt, and his family had put their car up for sale. The house was valued at $7,000. A friend of his shared his story on Facebook and started an auction. In the post, he detailed how the man had suffered from cancer in his childhood, how he met the girl of his dreams, and how his main dream was to purchase the car for her. They ended up selling the car for $30,000.

• A story I found really powerful was about a man who was killed in the USA by a thief. He was in debt, and his family had put their car up for sale. The house was valued at $7,000. A friend of his shared his story on Facebook and started an auction. In the post, he detailed how the man had suffered from cancer in his childhood, how he met the girl of his dreams, and how his main dream was to purchase the car for her. They ended up selling the car for $30,000.

• story I found really powerful was about a man who was killed in the USA by a thief. He was in debt, and his family had put their car up for sale. The house was valued at $7,000. A friend of his shared his story on Facebook and started an auction. In the post, he detailed how the man had suffered from cancer in his childhood, how he met the girl of his dreams, and how his main dream was to purchase the car for her. They ended up selling the car for $30,000.

• A story I found powerful was the story of a young girl from a community my organization impacted with anti-corruption education. The young girl was moved by the way we engaged them and the stories of change from other young ones we shared with them. Seeing as her peers in the community found it difficult to understand the general language spoken in the animated film we engaged them with, this girl volunteered to translate the animated film to their native language, so every child in the community could be properly communicated with. It felt amazing that our stories touched something deep within her and she voluntarily contributed her quota to solve a major problem in her environs.

• A story of a young teenager who saved up money , so he could get children in a nearby orphanage pay their school fees.
    it made me feel compassionate and to value love.

• The story was memorable because it has to do with humanity

1. I empathise with the girl because of what the situation pushed her into
    2. The story made me look for organizations that could render any kind of service aside the financial it could be PSS etc
  • A story I found really powerful was about the coffee shop that hire people with disabilities. it made me feel with hope, excited, and positive about the future of many many people there with disabilities, on my personal casa I have a child with Autism, he is very functional, however, he has some autistic behaviors. This story makes believe that he can have a regular life on his future.

• Such a powerful and motivating story.

• A story I found really powerful was the autobiography of the former CEO of the social impact organization I used to work for. She wrote in detail about the struggles she faced in life, stemmed by something relatable to many in her generation -- a lack of parental affection that led her to seek out love in all the wrong places in her youth. Her story details the many trials she faced and how she eventually overcame them. Her story is heart-breaking and inspiring. It includes a call to action to support her organization and makes you feel like you can be a part of something life-changing. This compelled me to donate to the organization and to throw myself even deeper into my work with the organization.

• Wow! I can see how using an audio recording from a 911 call can illustrate the real-life significance of the work that your organization does. I can see how that can show the greater story arc of what it means to work in foster care and how it can motivate those early in the training process.

• A story I found really powerful was the story of a girl who is a victim of child marriage. It made me feel the need to work harder in advocating for an end to child marriage.

K
    1 Reply
  • The first time I heard the story of the failed delivery at the local primary health care Centre, it evoked a lot of emotion in me that, I felt I needed to change something about the state of healthcare delivery in my community

• A story that I found provoking was about a couple who are passionate about providing subsidized education for low income communities. The students pay 100 naira (less than 10 cents). This truly was inspiring for me and encouraged me to plan towards supporting them.

• A story that really moved me was about an old aged lady, 70's upwards, that, when her husband died and he couldn't provide for her in a testament or will, was left to fend for herself. She was evicted from her rental apartment and had nowhere to turn to, as her children had left emigrated. She was literally living on the streets when she was "found" by a social worker at a bus stop where she stayed the night. She was taken to a place of safety - and was able to stay there with other destitute aged people. With the help of the community, the charity had started this small "village - the place of safety for the aged" with small rooms to rent, but they empowered them each with a function at the place. Some were in charge of the kitchen to make food, others were in charge of the vegetable garden and so on, so that each person still felt valued. They were able to forge bonds with fellow residents, friendships, and with their work, had new hope. It really touched me deeply, because how awful would it be to have nowhere to turn to, nobody to laugh with, no friends, no shelter, nothing.. There were no drink or drugs involved, just a husband that passed without provision. Life could happen to anybody. The lady's story really made me volunteer with seeds, and compost, and to donate a few bucks for the food.

P
    1 Reply
  • Yes that is touching powerful stories of hope. What did they do to help the poorest of them?

• A story I found really powerful was how the project beneficiaries brought changes to the problems that their community faced through critical thinking, team work and problem solving skills.

• A story I found really powerful was the women work in the cheese industry in Yemen. It made me feel how are these women great to take responsibility for their families and work with simple equipment and tools to make cheese in order to obtain income for their families.

• A story I found really powerful was the story of a mother who cried so much because she couldn't feel the pains her sick child was passing through. This story compelled me to respect motherhood even more than I used to.

• A story I found really powerful was the story of a mother who cried so much because she couldn't feel the pains her sick child was passing through. This story compelled me to respect motherhood even more than I used to.

• A story I found really powerful was the one told by Charity Water about what motivated the start of the organization its approach and its impact. It made me feel sad about the problem, glad that an organization like theirs is working in. that field and inspired to contribute to what they are doing and also make a difference.

• A story I found powerful was about Boniface, a person living with disabilities. The story made me realize that even those with disabilities can do a lot for their communities, all they need is support. Through the story of Boniface, we embarked on a journey to funding resources that would help people like Boniface become aware of their wealth in their societies.

• We were recently told the story of a teacher who was wanting to instill in her students the values of giving and volunteerism. Instead of giving her students a project she already decided on, she urged her students to come up with their own idea: making Easter baskets for senior citizens living in low-income housing. Hearing from students about why they settled on that idea, one that struck me was wanting these seniors to know they're loved and they're being thought of. I felt compassion and sadness at the same time. This story makes me want to give back in different ways and to celebrate their good works.

• @naeemayra said in Module 1 Discussion: The Power of Stories:

A story I found really powerful was the story of a girl who is a victim of child marriage. It made me feel the need to work harder in advocating for an end to child marriage.

How terrible it must be to be subjected to being married when your brain is not even fully developed!

• A story i found really powerful,i high school girl would dread having her periods because her mum would not afford to buy sanitary pads.She used to use cut clothes and wash the dirty clothes after every use.This made me feel empathy and opened my mind that not everyone can afford to buy sanitary towels.Support towards those who cant afford sanitary towels is much needed.

• Hope it felt great to support a cause that moved you.. and perhaps gave you even more stories. :)

• The story I found really powerful was the story of a 22 year only boy in a learning space I facilitated.
    He is currently in JSS 2 in Dawaki village in Abuja-Nigeria.
    He ran away from his uncle in Kano state that beats him often and forces him to fight local wrestling with local wrestlers, when he fails, he gets really beaten by his uncle and starved.
    He ran away from his uncle and he has vowed to kill him if hr dares comes back.
    He’s currently learning how to read and right in a public school where we try to improve learning skills of learners using EduTech tools, talking books&pens , educational board games and the TaRl approach.
    He shared his experience in our learning cluster and we all got really emotional.

• A story that really touched me was from a friend who started collecting donations during the COVID-19 pandemic to help lower income families with basic necessities. She described how mothers would send messages to her, hearing of her initiative, and pleading for assistance for their families, such as needing formula milk for their babies and little children. Some had very little food for their children, having lost their source of income during the pandemic. This simple story moved me as I am a mother myself, and I could not bear the thought of children going hungry. I reached out to her and made a donation towards her cause.

• Love this sharing. Makes me see once again how people who are from different backgrounds can come together through unfortunate events in their life. They understand each other more than others can understand them, and they support one another. Even those who have gone through rough patches in life can make a difference in other people's lives, learning from their own experience and making sure others don't have it as bad as they did. The beauty of humanity, always looking out for someone else.

• A story I found memorable was that of a woman who had been kicked out at night by her wealthy husband while heavily pregnant and with 4 other children. Her struggle to raise them alone and the trials and triumphs she has had. It made me feel sad that a person could do that to one they had loved and have no regard for the safety and future of the children that called him father. I was compelled to be more alert to the needs of children and women raising them alone; know about their struggles and try to direct them to those with the ability to lighten their load.

• A story I found really powerful was a story of a little girl who came to the city searching for greener pastures. she gained a scholarship to one of the best universities and received the presidents award at her graduation It made me feel hopeful.

• A story that I found really powerful was an anthology of stories of female coffee farmers across Rwanda. It made me feel inspired and informed, especially the story at the beginning where it explained the motive of the book. The author said something along the lines of, "not all powerful women are in business suits. They're also these coffee farmers who raise our communities." Wow! It was memorable to me, as it challenged traditional notions/stereotypes of Rwanda/Africa (used stories to show strength instead of igniting pity) and women (showed how women are strong in so many different ways).

• IVE SEEN THE POWER OF STORY TELLING IN MY FAMILY IM A JOKSTER AND I TELL STORIES LIKE NO OTHER, AND IM SO GOOD THAT WHEN EVER I TRAVEL SOMEPLACE, I SWITCH THE STORY UP AND RESCARE THGEM WITH THE SAME STORY, I THINK COMEDIANS AND NEWS REPORTERS ARE THE BEST STORY TELLERS OH AND LAWYERS OF COURSE...

• 0817ad72-f95d-4843-ae92-aa52cbf6f347-image.png A girl fell in the hot sauce while playing at home as her mother was cooking. With more than 80% of her skin burned, her mother thought she was losing her daughter. My organization provided support to take the seven-year-old to the hospital for medication. She is now doing good, and I am moved with compassion and love that can save the lives of those in need. Her story also touched many supporters who provided financial support for our organization to support more vulnerable children.

• thank you for sharing this story! it's almost important to uplift BIPOC voices.

• The story of Mr Idowu, a professional painter. Mr Idowu was born without hands but he is a professional painter. He learned how to paint with his mouth. He paints his pictures with his mouth. He holds the brush with his mouth and uses it to mix with the colors on the palette and paints with it. The pictures are nice and of professional standard.

This story inspired me to pursue a career in graphics design even though I studied journalism. It made me realize that there is no limit to what one can achieve. Just strive, believe and don't give up.

• A story I found really powerful was that of a man named Les Brown. It made me feel a great deal of emotions. Among them were feelings of hope, empowerment, disappointment in self, and inspiration to act in a more constructive manner for a improved trajectory of my life. ...that was 6 years ago, when I first learnt of his story.

• I love that through storytelling we are able to create the change that we want to see in the world either through providing solutions or donating to a cause. One of the powerful stories I have come across is about a rescue center in Samburu County, Northern part of Kenya. This rescue center was established to provide shelter for girls in the community who are traumatized through experiences of FGM, GBV, early marriages and Beading.
    Beading is a secret traditional practice among the Samburu people of Northern Kenya, where Morans, who are not supposed to marry because they have a role of acting as warriors to protect the community can still have unrestricted sexual relationship with the girl they have beaded. Once a girl is beaded, she is open for a sexual relationship with a newly circumcised warrior. This means that the girls cannot go to school and neither do they have freedom of choice. First as a lady this made me feel bad because, how can someone have all this power and authority over my life, and knowing that these girls will not be able to achieve their dreams and make changes in the community. As a seasonal resource mobiliser, I took this as a personal goal to support the center to raise funds that go into making the shelter a better place and also increase the number of girls it can accommodate .

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.