Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• There are so many lovely stories here! I'm enchanted.

• A story I found memorable was that of Chuwuebuka, a street hawker that gave bottled water to a thirsty prisoners who where conveyed to prison in traffic. It made me feel nostalgic any time I remember this story. It was told by a twitter user who was stuck in traffic with the prison van and noticed the prisoners watching and staring into space in
    the Black Maria. The young man with his wares on his head went closer and asked if they are hungry and proceed to distribute his wares to the hungry prisoners. The video was went viral.
    He was sought out and interviewed. He told the story of the wrong accusation that led him to prison. When he was released, with nothing to fall back to, he started hawking.
    He said he understood the stares of those prisoners and wanted to give them hope.

1 Reply
  • The story I found powerful was hearing how rough my parents had it when growing up as children. Although, looking back on it, I feel those stories were meant to guilt trip us as children. Nevertheless, I felt bad about asking for so much as a child. Now, as an adult, I ask for nothing and work for what I want as I should.

T
    1 Reply
  • A story I found really powerful was "Imitation of Life." It made we feel sad because of how the daughter treated the mom as if she did not exist in the world. I felt the hurt and pain of the mom's love for the daughter although it was not reciprocated.

M
    1 Reply
  • I remember that story as well. It was a very sad story but very powerful. It will make you appreciate your mother, that's for sure.

• Good afternoon,

It is good to reflect back on how we view something as a child compared to an adult. As grow into adulthood, you see the wisdom you have gained over the years. I appreciate you for sharing your story.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

You're very welcome!!!

• Course Facilitator

@nneukamaka ,wow.Thanks for sharing your powerful story with us.I am certain that other learners will appreciate it too.

• Course Facilitator

@thankful ,I agree with you on this one.With age comes knowledge & wisdom.

• THE TWO BROTHERS.
    There were two identical twin brothers that were very close. They lived together in the same flat. Their names are Ayo and Segun. Ayo is a very good man . He loved to help every one he could help. He is so humble despite the fact that he is very rich. Segun is so rude and very lazy. Despite Ayo provides all he needs for him , he still went around stealing from people Ayo had warned him so many times but he did not heed to Ayo's warning. One day Segun went to steal and incidentally killed his victim. There was blood all over him. Immediately , the police were called. He quickly ran away from the scene and ran home. The police ran after him. As soon as he got to the house , he entered and locked the door. Ayo saw that he was soaked with blood and asked him what happen. he quickly explain to him. Ayo reminded him of how he has been warning him since. The he told Segun to remove his bloody clothes . Ayo too removed he his clothes and they exchange their clothes. since they are identical when then police came they took Ayo instead of Segun. Ayo was taken to police custody, then he was taken to court. The Judge sentenced him to death. When Ayo was about to be killed, he told the police that he needed to talk to his brother privately. Ayo and Segun were together for the last time . Ayo now pleaded to Segun that he should not steal again . He said that he died in his place so that he will turn from his bad ways . They both hug themselves and wept bitterly. Segun promised never to return to his bad ways. Ayo was then taken away to be killed. from that day Segun turned away completely from his bad ways . And he became a very good man.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@idijeli ,this is one interesting story.I feel that Ayo didn't have to take responsibility for Segun's sins.His heart was made of the most pure gold though.Its nice to know that Segun changed his ways and became a good man.What life lessons does this story teach you?Learners,how many of you would sacrifice their life for an irresponsible sibling?Please share your responses with us.

• A story I found powerful was the Omoruyi’s story and it made me feel the need to help them through the Foundation

The Foundation’s Ogun State Coordinator watched as every morning a single mother would take her 3 children to a public school at a long distance.

One day she talked to Mrs Omoruyi whose husband has passed on a while ago why they have to go the distance to a public school and she explained that was what she could afford and she has been struggling to feed them. The state coordinator sat the children down and tested what they have learnt so far.

Happy who was the eldest child could not read and she was in Primary 3 in her school, and the other children couldn’t read and write.

The Foundation tried to raise money for the 3 children for a better school but could only raise for 2

• A story I found really powerful was the Omoruyi’s. It made me feel emotional and source for donations to help them

The Foundation’s Ogun State Coordinator watched as every morning a single mother would take her 3 children to a public school at a long distance.

One day she talked to Mrs Omoruyi whose husband has passed on a while ago why they have to go the distance to a public school and she explained that was what she could afford and she has been struggling to feed them. The state coordinator sat the children down and tested what they have learnt so far.

Happy who was the eldest child could not read and she was in Primary 3 in her school, and the other children couldn’t read and write.

The Foundation tried to raise money for the 3 children for a better school but could only raise for 2

• Thank you for sharing

• Thank you for sharing about the NGO

• A story I found really powerful was the Omoruyi’s. It made me feel emotional and source for donations to help them

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@koa ,thanks for sharing your powerful story with us.I am glad that it inspired you to raise funds for them.

• The Story by author Meghan O’Rourke: The story of the mother gave me the impression how well expressed memories pass from one to the other impactfully. Mario was something which made the story catchy. The story made me feel emotional that they didn't meet prior to her death.

1 Reply
  • Great story, I would love to contribute to that organization.

• The story of Iqbal Masih will always be in my heart. this 13 year old kid saved hundreds of children slaves working in outskirt of lahore. He himself was a slave and he dreamed to free himself from his master. When he eventually broke out of his master's house, he started working for an organization to slave other slaves who were oppressed to work to pay their debt.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Tenu ,thanks for sharing this powerful story with us.What are some of the life lessons it has enriched you with?

• Course Facilitator

@Hurmatullah ,slavery is bondage in its purest form.It takes courage to fight against it.Thanks for sharing your powerful story with us.

• So I have a book that written by famous writer (Leo Tolstoy), he tell story about past, present, and future periode. This story is memorable make my mind thinking again about all periode, makes me change my mind about worried something about time

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Alt_jesslyn ,thank you for your response.I hope you're enjoying this book that you're telling us about.What life lessons has it empowered you with thus far?

A
    1 Reply
  • A story I found about a child of 12 years girl who was raped and abandon. I really felt so much for bad and pity for her

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@AnitaOnyabeyiOonoJubilee ,the story you're sharing with us is heart wrenching.Rape is an evil that must stop.

• The story I found really powerful was a call for donation put up in video format by an organization. They were promoting virtual learning for children in slums. It displayed a couple of children and their seemingly disadvantaged background; the slums and their daily life. The video showed the impossibility of ever having access to internet of computer gadgets. But being helped by this organization to access laptops and internet, and further being enrolled for a virtual learning class with other children in similar situations.

Through the video, I felt the emotions of the children being offered a possibility an opportunity beyond their background. They were extremely excited. It ignited in me a new way of telling my impact stories to include emotions that truly come to life, asides the need for many more children in rural communities to have access to this kind of experience. Anyone would love to donate and be apart of that work after seeing the video

1 Reply
  • Eunice Peter is currently a beneficiary of our scholarship project in Flickers of Hope Foundation, Abuja Nigeria. She was in primary six at Kuzhako Community primary School when we were in her remote village for educational sensitization/awareness campaign. Her mother never went to school all her life, but she had a desire and a wish for her children despite her poor state to be educated. On one of our visit to Eunice's family house, the mother said, "it is a pain in my heart that I did not have the opportunity to attend school like others, but I wish and I pray to God to make way for my children to be able to go." She was so rapped in joy and said to us, "You people will not understanding how happy I am on the scholarship that you people offered my Daughter."
    She did the talking in her dialect but on looking at her facial expression, you can actually see that she feels like a woman in heaven.

A
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@benedictaN ,internet access is a luxury in some sections of society.I am glad that the video you watched highlighted the importance of technology & internet in the context of education.Thanks for sharing this powerful story with us.

• Course Facilitator

@Ojoagbene ,thanks for sharing a powerful story that highlights the positive impact of having an education.

• A sad and insightful moment.

• I collect career stories and share them with students. One of the most powerful stories I have heard is that of a girl, she is an orphan, her guardians couldn't afford fees, so she got home schooled which allowed her to skip some grades and eventually the youngest person to ever enroll at a university in our country. This and other stories make me feel more sure that disadvantages can be repurposed into opportunities. And this is something I actively try to teach.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@muneddmore ,thank you for sharing this powerful & inspiring story with us.

• A story I found really powerful in my social impact work was the story of how learning gadgets were provided for some children in rural areas and they were been taught virtually by teachers online. It made me feel emotional and I was really happy about how technology has improved and how the children could benefit too.

1 Reply
  • The story I found memorable for me was story depicts poverty of certain population. The stories about them unable to afford medication, food or even school. A kid was usually targeted in the stories, such as not able to go to school, finding food in garbages and others. It made me feel so sad for their condition and wanting to donate to assist them.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@missnoovdle ,your story is relatable because poverty is a reality that's faced by millions of people around the world.Thank you for sharing your answer with us.

• Course Facilitator

@GLORIOUS12 ,technology has revolutionized the education sector which is a step in the right direction.Thanks for sharing your answer with us.

• Thanks so much for engaging sir.

1 Reply
  • A story that I found really powerful was about one parent who started organisation that supports heart surgeries after for children after she had lost her child to a heart disease. The story made be feel strong and to believe that the future bright

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@GLORIOUS12 ,you're very welcome.

• Course Facilitator

@OtiliaMubviro ,the story you're sharing with us is very inspiring & powerful at the same time.I say this because the protagonist's loss & pain inspired her to start an organization that's impacting several lives at once.Thank you for sharing this powerful story with us.

• I'm on the phone with a lot of people that are experiencing crisis or trauma and one that sticks with me is a women telling me that despite her own chronic illness, she was forgoing her treatment so she could take care of her daughter, who was having surgery that month. They couldn't pay for both of them to eat AND receive the care they needed. I am compelled to search more diligently for resources to help in situations like these. It puts the importance of our work into clearer focus, instead of allowing it to blend together in a series of necessary tasks.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@kmcdonald ,the story you're sharing with us is poignant & powerful at the same time.Thank you for sharing it with us.

• The story that was so memorable to me was about a girl who was immature that her own teacher didn't want to teach her, so she was sent to another teacher, for further mentoring and teachings. Within a month or so, she was transformed into the most amazing and brilliant student that particular teacher taught. She was knowledgeable and wise blessed by her teacher. But as they say, not all good things last for long. Her teacher died caused by a terrible car accident. His loss brought her so much regret in her life that she changed a lot over the years. She regretted because she wasn't there to save him in time.
    That story made me feel so emotional in terms of loyalty and respect for someone who can have so much patience and time to teach another person. What made me feel emotional was that she blamed herself for something time can never turn back.
    That made me think that , in reality we blame ourselves for something other people did or for something we can never change. It compelled me to change how i think towards situations that occur.

P
    2 Replies
  • Course Facilitator

@taliroyiahnrollart78 ,thanks for sharing this powerful story with us.I am of the view that teaching is a gift and not every person that qualifies as an educator has it.That is why some teachers are capable of bringing out their learners' full potential & others can't.It is unfortunate though that the protagonist lost a person that kindled a light in her.

• A story that engaged me was the story of a mother with his autistic child. She narrated her journey with her child since the date of birth and the challenges that she encountered, and her struggle journey in order to let the society accept her child and to push for his inclusion in this society, the story was so inspiring that it motivated me to know more about autism, and engaged many other people like me.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@JinaneMneimneh ,first & foremost,I commend you for sharing this story with us.There's need for more sensitization about autism.

• the life lessons are the past is just past by, the future is how you get the good or bad is after right now you did, right now is the best gift that you can give to other people by being in their side, and that is why we called that a present.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Alt_jesslyn ,wow.Thank you for sharing your response with us.

• I heard a story of a young lady who battled with self-esteem issue as a result of her childhood experience. The story got me thinking about my personal experience as a child. The entire experience ignited intentionality in my own parenting style.

L
    1 Reply
  • It is actually a very important issue that is overlooked by many people. It prevents you from doing a lot of things that you would normally do. I have also been a victim of struggles with self-esteem. I pray everyone gains confidence in themselves and does things the right way not because the society thinks it is the right way but because it actually is.

• A new organisation was set up in my town by the name of 'Hearts of Pleven.' One of the founders told us a story which started it all. In the early hours of the morning, there was a man looking through the bins on the streets with a stray dog who might have become his friend. The sight to him was quite tragic and he shared that with us. My heart went out to those in need who struggle to make it through one day and it made me appreciate my situation much more. This story made me join the organisation and then make another one of my own for stray animals. Normally I would have just fed them or donated but this story or incidents that I have seen of my own allowed me to indulge in organisational work.

• The story that touch me is It of Stephen King. And it made me feel powerful, by discovring how people can be powerful together, a new way of being heroes. The heroism that is not solitary, but the heroism of collaboration.

• A story I found really powerful was a campaign about corruption in governance and how indeed even the governed were equally as corrupt, a corrupt citizen makes a corrupt political office holder.

This moved me to become deliberate in being a change agent for accountability in discharging my civic responsibilities.

• @Adesewa_synty
    Such a deep story with lessons on empathy and compassion

• A story I found memorable story of boy who lost his family and adopted by foreign parents. The egger to find the biological parents and his dedication made me emotional.

• In an organization I used to work for, ran a program on women empowerment where we heard many stories of courage, love, perseverence, hard work & commitment. I spoke to many women & listened to their stories in order to support their journey. Among thousands of such stories one that stands out to me is from a young girl whose father was an a substance addict, but supported by her mother worked hard & smart to realise her dreams : to achieve career progression, to build a house & buy her own vehicle. What made this story memorable to me is that despite the many challenges she had she was making use of the tools her employer had taught her to realise her dreams one step at a time. I felt elated to get to know about her successes & excited to feel her commitment to her dreams. The story compelled me to commence an executive education programme I was procrastinating on.

• A story I found really powerful was in a cartoon I watched *ant bully . It made me feel empathy and a little bit of guilt to hurt creatures struggling to feed.
    I related the story to humanity and it as well moved me to compassion about helping those Below me instead of trampling on them.

A
    1 Reply
  • A story I found really powerful was the story of the mother hawk teaching her baby hawk to hunt. One day, the baby hawk returned with a duckling. The mother hawk asked him, "How did the mother duck react when you picked her duckling?" The baby hawk replied, "She stared at me silently sad." The mother hawk said, "Quickly return the duckling because a silent bitter soul is deadly." The baby hawk returned the duckling to her mother.

It made me want to speak and fight for people going through silent pain.

• A story i found really powerful was about a girl Rebecca, who applied for a four years course in an esteemed tertiary institution in the south west Nigeria. She started with the hope of graduating after four years with a well paying job. After spending additional two years due to strike and all, she graduated . Excited for her right!
    She went for her one year compulsory youth service and then begin her job hunting for for three years.
    Alas, that's a whooping 10 years of her life with just her certificate and no work experience to get herself a job.
    Now, what advice would you have given to Rebecca ten years ago. Mine would , Rebecca my darling, i know you want to be schooled but why not get skilled alongside. You would be a twice better graduate at two profession, or what do you think.
    This story made me have a rethink about the career guidiance to be shared with the young students in the secondary school.

• The story that I just read on this platform about that baking mouse was such and amazing marketing technique, made me really emotional for once as the emotions attached with it were so powerful with the man and the child and the mother, what an amazing display of the emotions, I felt warmth for the man the most, if I would have been looking on Ebay, would have bought it and urge to meet the guy for sure.

• A story I would continue to remember is one where a young girl who ventured into commercial sex at the age of 12 was rehabilitated. In this story she narrated how she came into the business and her struggle to leave commercial sex.

• Oh the joy she would have felt. Stories like this gives me goosebumps.

• The story making me feels for the character that involved in there, by imagine what happen in story or involve ourself in story like third party, make it easier to me feel sympathy in the story.

• I spoke to a parent coordinator at a school in Queens NY. She was desperate to get programming into her school. She kept getting told no by everyone that she encountered. She was practically in tears asking if I could help out in any way. I put in a plea to my manager and we were able to provide their first outside programming for free. The school is now a devoted partner of ours.

• A story that I found really powerful is about a public transport van known as ''matatu'' in Nairobi Kenya that has decided to specifically ferry physically challenged population in the city to and from work. This is a very unique story given that the ''matatu'' sector in Kenya is known to be rogue, uncaring and managed in a very unprofessional manner. This story has made realize that you can make a change in your own small way.

• We saw a puppy at a run down shelter. It was an NGO and they relied on donations to stay afloat, taking in abandoned or injured animals, with a volunteer vet doing her best to treat the sick. The puppy we saw was 3 weeks old and had parasites and fleas, and an eye infection. Many people saw it and turned away. It still needed milk, but the mother had died in a fire in a skip, but a homeless guy managed to save two puppies. Unfortunately, one puppy died, but the puppy before us survived and was on tge edge of death. The vet at the NGO said they didn't have the funds to pay for the medication for the parasites and she would probably have to put the puppy to sleep as no one was prepared to take on the responsibility. Suffice to say, we adopted the puppy, and today he he 4 years old and lives a very happy life.

• once I wrote a fund raising story about a lady living with disability that got pregnant from being raped. the story compelled people to donate money that was used to help her get a C-section. Getting Funding for her was very emotional

• I recently ran into a university classmate of mine and he told me he was getting married. I was very excited and gave him my warm wishes. He then told me about his lady and how she agreed to marry him.
    One night in our final year in the university, someone knocked on our hostel door while it was raining heavily. We didn't hear the knocks on time due to the heavy downpour and boys were in the middle of passionate analysis of a football game about to start.
    A man came in drenched when the door was finally opened. He said he needed our help. He explained that he was to take an entrance examination for a PhD course scheduled for the next day. He narrated that he was robbed on the way and could not afford a hotel accommodation. We were touched by his story and quickly arranged a hot bath and coffee for him. We made his stay as comfortable as we could afford. He left the next day and promised to keep in touch with us.
    Time passed and we did not hear from him again. We soon graduated and everybody went their way.
    My friend told me his fiancé is the daughter of the man we helped. Wow! The man told his family when he left us and got home. He was happily surprised when his daughter introduced my friend as her boyfriend five years later. Of course, he gave his blessings.

• A story that I found fascinating was that of a young village boy from a poor family who managed, with very little education and scraps for resources, to build windmill powered water pump to irrigate his drought stricken maize field.

• A story that I found fascinating was that of a young village boy from a poor family who managed, with very little education and scraps for resources, to build windmill powered water pump to irrigate his drought stricken maize field.

• The mango season in my home town is one that everyone looks up to, it cuts across the ages and gender, both the young and old male and feel are always on their feet waiting for the mangoes to ripen. My homestead I one of the known to have very many trees of manges and my mother is very adent about protecting them when they are still young.
    Well what touched me so much was last year, when I met this young adult, john( not real name),he looked old yet very frail, and weak his left arm was burnt completely and his movement very shaky, when I asked him what him to our compound, he then sat down and narrated his ordeal.
    " Please don't send me away" was the first thing he said, if you send me away then today I will go on a bare stomach, when I asked him where he lives, Jessie he collected the manges onto his thread bare shirt and told me to follow him. John lived in a small hut with his sister whom when I asked around were both sufferer of the dreaded nodding syndrome in Africa, during the mango season it's what they survived on. The little guy was open from one side as it was washed away by rain, john and his sister are one of those who among many have to move from one home to another in search for what to eat . Their situation made me look at myself and think about the many times I have taken food to the garbage can or just thrown it away because it's too much when out there john delights in manges that to me is easy get

• A story I found really powerful was about the mouse and the mother. It made me feel good and wholesome. I could relate this story to a similar personal event in my life. This relatability made me pick a higher price for the mouse on ebay.

• A story i found compelling and emotional was the story of a young secondary school student who contracted STI and later HIV through an unprotected sex with her then boyfriend who was infected with HIV Virus but was not on medication. She was actually proactive in offering the boyfriend a condom to use,but he deceived her and did not use it.

The Story made me feel sad and lonely

• The story I thought was hearing how an organization working on halting climate change pivoted to help people who lost their homes in the wildfires in our region several years ago. A woman was telling how she lost her home to the fires at an event, and how the organization helped her connect with community members, people who knew about insurance, and helped her rebuild. I was very moved by the story and want to build a community of people helping eachother and working to stop climate change.

A
    1 Reply
  • A story I found really powerful was the boy who sacrificed three days making a gift of mouse for a girl that he wasn't even 100% sure that he would marry her. and looking at the impact this gift had in the life of this girl and her family who later become a mother. It really inspires me to do good even when it requires a great sacrifice.

• A story I found really powerful was about a woman that I recently happened to travel with as we were going to visit her home town where she had buried her two parents and siblings who were killed buy their neighbors during Tutsi genocide, I was emotionally impressed by her kindness and love she still has for kids of her neighbors even though some of them are children of those neighbors that killed her family members. It was a great lesson about forgiveness for me.

• A story I found really powerful was the story about leprosy by legend actors of Nepal Hari bansha acharya & Madan Krishna shrestha through the tele serial oho. Due to influence of this tele serial about 140000 people from Nepal checked for leprosy & 14000 patient of leprosy was founded. After that Nepal became free from leprosy.

• The items which were cheap and unwanted whose worth increased from 250 USD to 8000 USD after the story. When I first heard the story, I though the items were worthless. later after the story they became of value.

• A story I really found powerful was that of an adolescent schoolgirl who was forced by her parents to marry. According to the adolescent school girl, the parents wanted her to get married to an old man so they can get dowry in form of cattle (50 - 500 cows). The adolescent schoolgirl refused to marry and there was tension at home. After a long negotiation with the parents, they finally agreed that the girl has to continue with her education. I felt sad for a while. I documented and shared this story with our donors, it attracted their attention and this led to integration of child protection into our education project in one hard to reach area in South Sudan.

V
    1 Reply
  • I found a story about a company that provide help people to understanding the differences between people using graphics histories. I found that this has enabled them be more confident in life and feel normal and thereby they can go on to accomplish their dreams and aspirations.

This invoked in the the emotion of possibility. That anything is possible.

by Bruno (https://www.linkedin.com/in/bruno-tadeu-franca/ )

• Stories I have found really powerful are stories told by World Vision International, these stories are memorable for me because I can resonate with the hardships that the children face. Emotionally and immediately, I felt the need to join the world vision team and contribute my quota towards providing better living standards for the children. . These stories have further shown me how media and visual storytelling can impact social change and have further fuelled the desire in me to learn the act of storytelling for Social Change.

V
    1 Reply
  • It was 'shoedog' a memoir by the founder of Nike, it made me feel energized and determined not to let the many challenges i s experience cower me into quiting and made me feel ready to bet the farm and go all out in making sure i fulfill my dream of creating a successful enterprise

• you really interpreted this story so well that it touched me and i am inspired to also be mindful of those who i may be above in one way or the other

• A very good explanations about how it can be created. Congratulations.

• A story I found really powerful was the boy who save a man who have mental illness from dangerous situation. When protester confront with soldiers at one of the demonstration in Myanmar, soldiers have order to shoot. At this time , a man with mental illness came in the line and stop in the middle and roaming . Protesters shout at him to go away and everybody worry about him. Then , A young boy come out from the protester group and slowly cross the line and approach to the man and pullback him. Actually, he risk his life because soldiers shoot whoever they want to shoot at this time . This story made me think about human values and morals.

• A story I found really powerful was that of a little boy, whose parents struggled financially, to the point he was at risk of having to drop out of school. They had a very large family and providing for everyone was getting harder and harder. The little boy dreamt of becoming a doctor, but his dream was extremely close to never come true. However, the teachers at school became aware of the situation and, since he was a dedicated student, found a way to help him thanks to an NGO working in the area. The boy went on with his studies, went to university in the country's capital city, and eventually became a talented doctor. He then moved back to his little village to help the people there, who had no easy access to proper treatment or fully equipped hospitals. He set up his clinic and continues working there, as a way of giving back to the community where his passion first started to sprout. This story inspired me to continue following my dreams, no matter how hard it might seem. It also made me want even more to work in a sector that is able to give such hope to people, and that can help them achieve their own dreams. Furthermore, I didn't really think so much about the value of one's community before, but after hearing this story I realized that sometimes the reason one really wants to leave might actually be the very same reason one should come back for one day, and try to change things.

T
    O
    2 Replies
  • It's quite inspiring to read stories where the community plays a big role in helping and supporting someone! Hopefully we can get to the point of seeing each other as a single one big community we should all work hard to help and preserve one day.

• Thank you for sharing! It's inspiring to think about all the possibilities there are once someone keeps their mind open.

• A story I found more powerful was that of a suicide survivor and it made me feel so passionate about humanity no matter who they are.

The story was about a radio presenter who had lost his wife a year before, he tried try all means to erase all memories he had with her but he couldn't forget. Started dodging work by giving excuses, Drunk alcohol, married another woman, went to pastors but no of them worked. One afternoon, he decided to escape from home and left his 3 year old daughter with her step mum and went to the farm to suspend himself on the rope he had picked from the homestead.
    Luckily enough the daughter was not inside the house as he thought. She was outside in a place she couldn't easily be seen. She saw her dad going to the farm and she tought he was going to water the animals. She used to follow him most times. So like as usual she followed him.
    The man removed his jacket , threw it on the ground and climbed a tree.
    He tied the rope properly for the job and put it on the neck through the head. On the moment of him letting the tree branch to start suspending. The daughter picked the jacket and called her dad give it to him up in the tree.

The dad cried so loud and removed the rope so fast. He jumped down picked her daughter and went home. From then he remembered that he had not lost his wife but he still had her daughter who resembled her and tried saving his life.
    From then he knew suicide would just propagate the pain instead of taking it away from the family

• That is really good that he even went back to the village to provide what they don't have
    Most of us forget that some situations can be reversed. We enjoy every moments of our life and hold pride high.

He is a good example to follow

• The story I found powerful was about The Late First republic Zambian president Mr David Kenneth Kaunda may his soul rest in peace.

The story made me to understand how I should put human first in every mission set to achieve,how to lead and how to stay focus for change of the community and how to contribute in community.

• A story I found really powerful was the story of “Bloody Sunday” in Selma, Alabama from a child marcher who was beaten on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in 1965. It made me feel sad, angry, pity as well determination to work to change so many of the injustices they faced in 1965 that are still occurring today.

• Janet Namfukwe is a 55-year-old Zambian who resides in Mphuka Village in the Luangwa District. Her husband was brutally killed by a crocodile while fishing in the Luangwa River in 2015, leaving her to raise her nine children on her own. Janet has never attended school and relies solely on rain-fed agriculture. Janet's family is one of the village's poorest and most disadvantaged.

Janet's maize field was entirely damaged by flash floods during the 2018/2019 crop season. As a result, she was chosen as one of the five goat (4 females goats and 1 male goat) recipients by the Climate Change Project. Out of 15000 families in Mphuka Village, the Climate Change Project only targeted 100. There is a need to lend a hand in assisting families like Janet's in coping with the effects of climate change.

• A student in my class never seemed to enjoy going to lunch. I tried asking about it, but the response was always, "I'm fine" or "I'm good". I started to observe the lunch table. Was the child sitting with others? Were people talking to him? Were they eating? I had a difficult time noticing anything out of the ordinary. Then one day on the way to the cafeteria the student dropped their lunch box and it opened up. In it I saw what could possibly be the issue, foods that were not recognizable to most younger children and even some adults. After this, I began discussing foods from different countries and religious organizations in our class. We began celebrating different cultures and students were invited to bring in dishes of their own. A few months later I noticed that the child seemed less stressed when it was time for lunch and had started talking and enjoying their lunch time.

V
    1 Reply
  • A story I found really powerful was the story of how the marriage of a beneficiary woman, living in a rural part of Nigeria, was saved because of the family planning intervention our project-trained provider offered. It made me feel that we were indeed making a difference in women's lives.

• Wow! Amazing approach!

• Well done on your impactful contribution!

• Brilliant contribution there!

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.