Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• All risk should be managed

• Once a time i accepted a risk was with network issues on the service the provider was offering i accepted because the alternative meant i had to change the entire network which was not budgeted for . so i tried to manage it y constantly calling the service provider to fix it and really helped.(it worked)

• One should be ready to take the risk and able to manage it successfully if one knows the basics to apply the same

• Suppose a study requires that participants are given mobile phones for visit clinic reminder and in the course of the study you anticipate some of the participants may looses phones, you may choose to accept the risk and just monitor closely how they return to clinic appointment without a phone based reminder

• Sometimes that happens, that the value of the project is a higher priority than the risk that must be accepted, knowing that it can directly affect the result of the project.

• Once I accepted a risk, it was that I had to buy some materials with a specific supplier that sometimes had not fulfilled us on time or with the required quantity. I accepted it because it was the only supplier we had in the city and the other suppliers were from abroad, so we had evaluated the risks with these suppliers and we had serious risks of having to stop the project at some point due to lack of materials that would stop a whole process.

C
    1 Reply
  • One time that I accepted a risk was to set another milestone that's exceed the plan. I accepted it because there's still some fund left, and there's a possibility to achieve higher outcome.

• I have accepted a similar risk about educating youth on votes and values (not persons) to vote for. Being a pre-election year and due to the volume of youth we were empowering to drive policy change, we expect that eyes would be on us. It is however important if we want quality leaders so that's a risk I'm willing to accept. Our way is to educate virtually instead of physically so people feel safe enough to attend the sessions

• This is always so tricky. For these type of vendors, starting the process way earlier than you need it always works. As time goes, I would start to look into building competency on my staff to create these things or having partnership conversations with this vendor so they feel more responsible to deliver on time

• In project management we respond to the risks based on the severity of impact that the identified risk may cause to project. We had situation where we have accepted, we could not hire international experts to train local staff due to travel restrictions in place after COVID and the projects closure was only few months. There is no way that we can international consultants due to COVID 19 as well as the nearing of closure time.

R
    1 Reply
  • It is good to accept a risk once you have identified it.

• We had to accept a risk recently due to staffing shortages caused by the pandemic. The acceptance of this risk will go into the mitigate category in the coming months, hopefully, as the workforce and employment situation improves.

• COVID has impacted workforce development, staffing, hiring all over the world. We are experiencing this at the local level. It must be very difficult when you are depending on international staffing for your project.

• The recent Covid pandemic has caused quite a bit of risk with our programs. We have found that accepting the risk actually opened doors for funding that we did not anticipate. Our funders were very generous during this time and only our in-person programs suffered during the mandates. We were able to create a new program by accepting the risk.

• It is admirable that as a business owner you were willing to accept this risk - because it would help the neighbors and community - Refreshing that your decision making was based on doing the right thing and not just profit margins!

• When the risk is mild or it is below the risk level of 2 then it is more likely that that the risk will not likely have major impact to the project so under such instances risks can be accepted and monitored.

• Risk management begins with acknowledgement that no matter the level of planning we put into our projects we have internal and external factors we cant control but might have different control of our projects. Take COVID 19 for instance and the impact it had on projects. Some tried to mitigate it by establishing work from home plans. Now we have all realized that work from home plans are cost effective and increase productivity for some

• I think risks can be mitigated by doing a good risk assessment of the project. There are also risks that are not critical and can be accepted to some extent, but there are also some risks that can affect from project scope to budget

• when facing a risk, I weigh the chances of making it or not. I dont blindly take the risks. Currently I am deciding whether to use my pocket money for the semester to open a Visa Card so that I may start freelancing online, its a risk worth taking because even if I fail to make any clients, my education won't be affected

• One day I planned an agricultural program that didn't go according to plan.
    I accept the cancellation of the agricultural program, because the people I work with have very little interest

• One time that I accepted a risk was a RAN Modernization project for Network provider Company in my country which involve on-site telecom implementation in different communities.
    I accepted it because the risk was inevitable as at when it was identified. This risk is as result of high level of unemployed youth this has led to community issue and unrest sometime.
    Therefore, some amount of money was set aside from the beginning of the project to pacify the community youth before it goes out hand. And I also employ Community liaison Officer to stand in gap.

• Please Note: You can only submit an assignment ONCE. You CANNOT re-submit an assignment once it is uploaded, so please make sure that you have selected the correct file for grading.

• Every undertaking has its own anticipated risk. However, risks are meant to make you bold, resilient and innovative. They make you innovate new plans and ideas to do things in exceptionally in a new way from others.

• After evaluating, assessing and accepting risks, we have to mitigate/prevent them for improvement of the individual process.
    Now, risk communication is also important afterwards. This improves the overall process of the company/firm by helping the company prevent similar risks in the future also.

• Good discussions !

• low risk rate is acceptable but still needs to be monitored.

• Political and communal violence/riots always interrupt our normal duty and we do always accepted it, because we don't have a means of response towards it.

• My team and I accepted the risk of no longer renting a studio space when we realized the likelihood of us being together in an office anytime soon. This was a risk as we had to move out of the studio and did not know how easy it would be to find a similar space in the future. However, we felt it was a wise move as there was really no point holding onto an empty office.

G
    1 Reply
  • Honestly, some risks cannot be avoided, transferred, or mitigated, in such a case, you just have to accept it. We put up a tender for renovation of TVET institutions, spelt out the requirements clearly, invited interested companies for site visitation and together we did all the necessary measurements. We mailed the requirements to them and requested for bids. In their tenders, we could not find the minimum standards in country, and the amount per organizational policy was too little for outsourcing. Do we take the person with the highest score even if they do not reach bench marks? We accepted to take them.

• Thanks for this. For little clarity, how did you guys keep track of your work progress, or manage your ongoing workflow without an office?

• One time that I accepted a risk was when Covid-19 spread among the country . I accepted it because it is an external factor.

• what do you think about fondamental gestion project in administration?

• what do you think about fondamental gestion project in administration?

• That was a good decision to accept the risk

• GENIAL COURSE

• GENIAL COURSE

• One time, I accepted a risks to have a outside Women’s Gathering during one of the hottest days of the summer during a pandemic. Everyone had a beautiful time.

• For me, it is acceptable to accept a risk when it is more costly for us to spend money to mitigate it than to accept it. Yes, risks of climate change, which leads to higher temperatures in the dry season with effects on the yields of agricultural products. I decided to accept these risks because after a benefit-cost analysis, I realised that it is more expensive for me to face this risk than to accept it.

• It is okay to accept risks where the risk level is low because they will be unlikely to happen and the risk impact will be low therefore it probably will not affect the project significantly if it were to happen

• As indicated in the risk assessment reading, it's pretty evident that it's okay to accept a risk with the risk doesn't put much in jeopardy. I also think that if it's tough to decide a response while initially assessing a risk, you can consider accepting it for the time being and scheduling time to review any progress on the risk along the way and then reassess it at that time.

I recently was building a project plan with a coworker. It was for a project that we began last year and will revamp this year. I'd asked if we should develop new goals, but my coworker thought it okay to repeat the same goals, I presume because we didn't meet a number of them. I think a risk of not revamping new goals is that we may miss key opportunities that arise this year and weren't present last year, simply due to new timing and climate. Another risk is that we don't implement lessons from our debrief of last year's project run at the forefront and end up repeating similar mistakes. However, the mistakes weren't so huge that the project would be unsuccessful and I don't know if new opportunities might arise, though I could maybe brainstorm a bit. Because of these factors, I ultimately am accepting the risk of not adding to last year's goals for this year's iteration of the project.

• One time that I accepted a risk was when i was piloting a nutrition project in a rough rough county, I accepted it because it would not rain every day.

• One time that I accepted a risk was when I had travelled to setup IT network infrastructure at a rural area in Zambia and I identified power cuts and load shedding as a risk that is common in the Sothern part of Africa. I accepted it because the control was not within my reach and that the likelihood of the occurrence was low and the impact to the project would have been low because some of the work in this project did not require electricity. This risk had a low impact and the likelihood was very low. The tasks that need power can be executed when the power returns should the power cuts occur.

• One time I accepted a risk was during a project that required children to attend a training session, with children who could not walk to the session . I did it because all the children resided in the community, and the chances of it raining during the summer months were unlikely.

• While I agree that you can generally accept a risk if the likelihood is low, I don't know that we can assume low likelihood equates to low impact. In the example on this page, election interference was assessed as low likelihood but fairly high impact if it did occur. I think another example of this is if the girls from the example don't attend the workshops despite the additional recruitment efforts making it a little less likely that they wouldn't come. I imagine this is because there are many different strategies we can use if we need to respond by using resources to mitigate or avoid complications with a risk, but if we happen to not employ the right ones, risks can still manifest and have noticeable impacts.

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts

• One time that I accepted a risk was when I was working on pouring concrete when rain was forecasted. I accepted it because the probability of the rains taking place was low.

K
    1 Reply
  • Risks can never be controlled. they are caused by natural circumstances. For example, tropical equatorial areas, rains are almost the whole year. This becomes very difficult for children to attend schools.

• As a training consultant the pandemic has imposed several risks for many projects as training design shifted to online platforms. While savings were had in terms of overheads( e.g., facility & meals )cost benefit analysis factors are still being determined where factors such as scheduling, monitoring and absenteeism have become onerous.

• Yes, we figured out that our borehole drilling project project will be affected by rainfall season hence decided to just accept by drilling during rainy season

• Certain time should be created before the election process go deep. A portion of the project resources should be mitigated .

• I find not "ignoring" a risk as very substantial. Accepting risks as genius!

• I once accepted a risk in the course of coordinating quarry project of drilling. When the machine developed fault, I did not panic as there was another machine ready to be deployed to complete the job.

• It is always good and helpful to accept a risk when the risk level is within the low level.

I once accepted a risk when I organised my first relationship conference within the tertiary Institute.

• One time, as a young entrepreneur I embark on the purchase of my product in large quantities than my usual budget due to the fact of it scarcity, but bearing in mind that the sales of the product is lossing in hand in market (the risk), due to negative comments from customers, not minding the risk of extreme poor sales compared with other Sales periods. The goal was to rise money for a future task ( the scope).
    The schedule was very comfortable since, still in the future and the return of investment was the only risk to be affected but with a larger scheduled factor, can be managed.
    Therefore it is only when the scope is still intact with it flexibility and budget workable with an option in the range of it flexible choices. Risk can be accepted before embarking on the project and managed because of foreknowledge of its possibilities.

• One time, as a young entrepreneur I embark on the purchase of my product in large quantities than my usual budget due to the fact of it scarcity, but bearing in mind that the sales of the product is lossing in hand in market (the risk), due to negative comments from customers, not minding the risk of extreme poor sales compared with other Sales periods. The goal was to rise money for a future task ( the scope).
    The schedule was very comfortable since, still in the future and the return of investment was the only risk to be affected but with a larger scheduled factor, can be managed.
    Therefore it is only when the scope is still intact with it flexibility and budget workable with an option in the range of it flexible choices. Risk can be accepted before embarking on the project and managed because of foreknowledge of its possibilities.

1 Reply
  • Nicely Said. I once took up a project work. It was Mining Project, typically in a very very remote area. Away from the city and far into the bushy jungle areas. I identified the risk of theft at the beginning of the project because some of the mined minerals might be stored at the site on an event of nightfall catching up on us or weather conditions such as heavy rain storms. I knew theft will arise either externally (from raiders) or internally (from dishonest workers), but I accepted it and monitored the risk. I made sure we finish much earlier before nightfall, and I routinely tip off the securities by giving the cash bonuses for asset protection against thefts. Though we had two occasions of theft, but the thieve was caught and sacked. However, the impact was low on the project.

• That's a good one

• We should accept risks just as the way we accept projects. They may not show up but the risks are there. Learn to identify, assess , respond and monitor all risks. This is story behind our project successess, How we mitigated the associated risks and how we Successfully completed the project?.

• in every organization, risks can not be avoided thus accepting in case of occurrence. example political interferences of presidential elections meaning if the manager does not sight the risk early and try working around the clock before election makes accepting inevitable

risks are inevitable in every in every firm thus accepting in times of occurrence hence making manager has to always prepare for risks and possible solutions.

• Risk is part of life, project will not escape the risk taken.
    Presidential election will infere in the change of policy.

• Thanks for sharing..

• After the identification of your project risks, it is very important to assess every identified risk in order figure out the likelihood rating and the impact rating of each identified risk. This will contribute in the process of responding to the risks. Once you have decided to accept the risk, you do not spend any kind of resources. Instead, you regularly and carefully monitor the risk to avoid any impact it can cause towards the project implementation.

• These responses are really helpful. For me, one of the most challenging (and ongoing) risks these days is the coronavirus and its variants. Risk to consider would be canceling hybrid programs and staffing shortages when people are sick.

• Towards the end of 2019, The COVID pandemic was just beginning and given more than half the population in the world had never dealt with such a risk, the project team at my construction site accepted it. We monitored the situation closely and continued to work until the country was locked down completed.

• La gestion des risque est un élement clé d'un projet

• For me, in a project if we accept the risk, it will put the project in trial and error, we are not sure whether the project will go well or will be limited on the way. What you have to do is study the schedule carefully, study all kinds of risks so as not to slow down the project. And what is sure also the environmental risk there one can assume the risks but with regard to other risks the studies must be made beforehand before the start of the project.

• It is okay to accept a risk when to not accept the risk would have a significant, detrimental effect on the project as a whole. Not all risks can be preemptively removed, and that must be accepted at times. This is especially true if the risk is associated with the purpose of your project itself - for example, the risk that political turmoil will affect your project aimed at informing women of their voting rights in a foreign country. .

• Agreed! And these can very rarely be truly prepared for.

• Flooding can be accepted in a project since there is little that can be done to prevent it in scenarios that it was less expected.

• It's ok to accept the risk in your project when it is likely to occur during the final stages of your project. So you can decide to continue with the project step by step while you the project manager and your team thinking how will you deal with the risk which figured out it might occur

• It's ok to accept the risk in your project when it is likely to occur during the final stages of your project. So you can decide to continue with the project step by step while you the project manager and your team thinking how will you deal with the risk which figured out it might occur.

• Experiencing when one of our colleague working to the field of many wild animals/insects, but we let him do because upon assessment he is knowledgeable to do the mission.

• One time I accepted a risk on a project was the case of fund delay. I accepted it because the project was approve payment too but the funds were delayed and so i went on with the project by using my money not to delay the delivery period as planned in the project Document, will eventually before the end of the project the funding was released.

• one time I face the difficulty in managing cost for a project. By the time I realize it was not enough, I have not other resources but I have to accept it. Later on, I manage it by dividing it into dependencies.

• I always choose not to ignore any risks no matter how unlikely they are. In an organization where time management is at the core of project delivery and implementation, we always monitor risks and make sure there's ample budget to minimize risks. We tend to save when they do not happen and the funds are channeled towards other significant projects. However, very likely risks are rigorously monitored for optimum mitigation.

• one time that I accepted a risk was less volunteers than I needed for a project - I accepted it because I felt as though the volunteers I had were capable of performing the duties given

• This topic of how to respond to risks has been a good one because I have learnt that some risks should be accepted.

• This topic has taught me that some risks should be accepted

• This topic has taught me that some risks should be accepted

• The risk accepted in our area of operation is mostly cattle raiding in the villages so we accept the risk and monitor the situation before going to the field and also we mitigate it by putting a halt to affected area and operate in different village.

• The last time I accepted risk was when I had to carryout training for teenagers on online bullying despite the bad weather. I had to do it because the issue was so urgent and the deadline was also fast approaching.

P
    1 Reply
  • Hi Ezra John, Would you be kind enough to elaborate the type of risk this was?

• bestbestbestbestbest bestbestbestbest

• bestbestbestbestbest bestbestbestbest

• we were facing FOREX shortage to get permission for L/C therefore, we are forced to accept it until it will be solved by the government

H
    1 Reply
  • I agree with your expression too

• Onetime i accepted a was at the cause of implementation i accepted the risk was because the risk was minimal compared to the other risk involved in the project

• some risk you should accept if you do not have other option to manage it. however that risk must be the one have smallest likelihood of happening.

• Multi-skilling and lesson plan is the better way to control this, also during planning curriculum buffer can be kept to o0vercome such risks

• One time that I accepted a risk was when I froze my Wi-Fi monthly payments. I accepted It because I travelled to the village where there was no network for nearly a year.

• Great answer.

• Thank you for the information.

• There is nothing much to do with natural disasters the only thing is to accept and find prevention measures of not affecting your work.

• I would rather face the risk than avoid it.

• In the next few months I will start using tools and techniques that I have learnt from this course and these are:

• Gantt chart to help teams to plan work around deadlines and properly allocate recourses.
    • Work breakdown structure to understand the work that has to be done to successfully produce a deliverable.
  • There was a time i participated in a project where we had to collect data in the outskirts which are hard to reach areas. We had to accept the risk because the roads would get worse during the rainy season and that was in summer. we were also trying to be on schedule so that data had to be collected to write the reports in good time.

• I had to accept a risk on the implementation deadline of a project that was quite tight, because the billing of this project depended on this deadline that was already mentioned on the contract and the partner had to close everything within this deadline. To overcome this, I had to prioritise the final report and work at weekends to meet the deadline.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.