Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• to my mind at this stage of the project governance the tasks of all who are well involved in the project must be defined to avoid possible conflicts and potential risks

• I don't have a project yet, but I think project governance establishes the responsibility of the project manager

• The Project Manager oversees the entire project, every other departments reports to the Project Manager and the Project Manager in turn reports finally to the Chief Executive Officers

R
    1 Reply
  • In our organization, the directors are the project managers and we are sometimes overseen by the board of directors. After this course, I have realized how important project governance is and how much more accountable this makes everyone on the team.

• Sounds like you have a well-defined structure for project governance. Do you feel that this works well for your organization?

• In my organisation, it is pretty clear cut. Project Manager reports to Senior Programme Manager and ED. They report to a Board & a Leadership Committee. Certain changes are decided on that level (you are allowed to defend ideas). Big changes are approved this way. You really just need to have a clear & bright reason for making changes to timeline. Scope is high-level and can only be changed after discussing with the Leadership team.

• I think an ideal situation allows you to share updates at agreed intervals with donors. Donors being too involved usually takes the focus off beneficiaries in my opinion.

• I don't work for an NGO yet but for a corporation. I truly wish roles and responsabilities were clearly laid out in the way explained in this module. It would avoid a lot of tension and running around. When I formalize my project I will certainly follow this step to avoid misunderstandings.

• For any project in my organisation, the CEO has the final say on the matters relating to the project. However, the Managing Director to whom i report has the power to alter tasks depending on priorities but is not allowed to change the budget, deadline and requirements once the scope is defined.

• In my organization, Project officer report to project manager and the project manager report straight to CEO. Project manager is allowed to change schedules and budget as well. The project manager is responsible to prepare and manage all projects risks and give it a window for tolerance. The CEO will always come in and adopt the prepared project constraints if necessary just to make sure the project goal and scope is not compromised. This is how my non profit organization i belong handle the project but i am here to learn some managing tactics, so that i can be fruitful enough to my organization.

• In my country the projects have to go through various agencies for approval. Known for world as country of the Gross National Happiness (GNH) any project, programs, policy and developments initiated are screened strictly in accordance with the four pillars of GNH and its nine domains (Sustainable and Equitable Socio-economic development; Conservation of environment; Preservation and promotion of culture; and Good governance). The nine domains include psychological wellbeing, health, education, time use, cultural diversity and resilience, good governance, community vitality, ecological diversity and resilience, and living standards.

At the management level we have national level steering committee, the Department head, the coordinator, project manager, officers and assistants. Any decision should be taken carefully with informed decision from all concerned authorities. As to ensure the success of any program or project, the GNHC will monitor all the activities on annually basis and we have stringent audit system.

• Can the project manager get approval to change the schedule any time?

• Our organization follows functional reporting. So project manager reports to director of project management team. technical team members reports to technical heads

• How best can project manager handle delays in response from the CEO he/she reports to when the delays affects the project implementation plan?

• In my organisation, the projection manager reports to the unit manager. The unit manager reports to the director and the director reports to funders.

• At my organization, the project manager reports to the line manager (Program Manager). Project manager prepare schedule & budget, manage the resource to have a successful project and uphold the scope as required by Client, He writes project reports and submit for approval by governance body through the Program Manager.
    Project manager submit the need for change on any of the three constraints to Program Manager, who meet the entire the governance body that (consist of cheif Technical manager(CTO), Managing Director(MD/CEO), Financial Director (FD) and the donor), since it’s a big organization. While this hierarchical structure has been put in place, Project Manager can only influence the change by making his submission/suggestion known.
    Moreover, The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the governance body to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

• In our context the project manager takes the overall roles of coordination and management of the entire project. In the reporting part the manager reports to the Project Director (PD) who is the head of the Project Management Unit (PMU).

G
    1 Reply
  • On my team the DARCI Model is used in Project management

• Please Note: You can only submit an assignment ONCE. You CANNOT re-submit an assignment once it is uploaded, so please make sure that you have selected the correct file for grading.

• Project Governance is crucial in delivering successful project. The roles and responsibilities need to be clearly defined, especially on the powers of the project manager and the project board.

• does the donor involve in decision making?

• At my organization, the first decision maker is the Country Director. The project managers make decisions such as approval of budget for activities within the scope of the project. The managers will have to consult the Deputy Country Director if there is a decision outside the scope of the project, or against the guidelines of the organization. Eg. the organization has a non cash policy, and no cash transfer to beneficiary schools. But in the case the project wants to work with the school so that the school purchase something, the project manager gets the consensus of the Deputy country director who then discusses with the Country Director and gets back to the manager on the final strategy or decision. In terms of hiring of staff, the manager initiates the process in consultation with the organogram, and works with the HR, in selecting the rightful person. S/he recommends to management the professional development need of their supervisee and determines the continuation of an employee's contract based on their output.

• In the process of coordinating and managing the project, what are some decisions that the project manager will have to make?

• What does it means that donors participate in decision making? In which way?

• In our organization the project manager responsible to put the plan , hire people and keep monitoring the process

Y
    1 Reply
  • :40 AM
    This is the module 1 discussion. You may participate in this discussion once you have begun module 1.

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    Find at least one post that you are curious to learn more about. Reply to that post by asking a clarifying question.

Example post: On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project

• Course Facilitator

Thank you @tasneemalzinati11 for sharing in the discussion.

• It sounds as if only the CEO has the power to make adjustments to scope, schedule and budget. The project manager is only expected to focus on delivering what is required.

• GENIAL COURSE

• In the organisation I work with, the project manager coordinates and facilitates all project processes. The project manager reports to the project director who coordinates with the team leader in the field to take the decisions. They can change schedules and tasks and work with the donors to change budgets, deadlines, or requirements. The donor provides the ultimate approval.

• In Our company Every project manager reporting to HOD . And need to improve the
    project implementation procedures. Its really hard to coordinate the aspects of the project stage as its a middle sized com need to improvise a lot in every department.

• In our organisation, the Project Manager reports to the National Coordinator. The Project Manager is responsible for the implementation of the project. He/she can change the tasks and timetable, his/her team, the risk management plan, but he/she must get the approval of the National Coordinator to change the budgets, deadlines and requirements of the project.

• In our organization project managers report to Country Director, and he consult country director immediately, when the there's need to change the schedule, and budgets.

• What's the best approach on developing Work Breakdown Structure? that is a challege i faced when doing the assignment.

M
    1 Reply
  • Our team is building a sidewalk.
    The most important things for us are the quality, time and cost of the project.
    We have to do this project at a specific time with a quality that is approved by the employer.
    The lower the cost of the project, the greater our profit from the work

• In my opinion, the most important thing is to know a project completely. And the second is the purpose of the project

• At my organization, there is a head of programs who oversees the project activities. The project manager reports to the head of programs who in turn reports to the director. there are clear cut work packages for everyone in the organization but one can seek input or assistance from anyone they wish.

F
    1 Reply
  • In my organization, each project is assigned to a team of project officers who report to the Project Manager. There is also support from the Monitoring and evaluation officer, communication officer, finance and administration to all the projects.

• This structure is similar to my organization.

• On our Project, the Project Manager reports to the Director. The Project Manager can not change Schedules, Scope and task. The director is responsible for all changes.

• My organization has several projects with project governance consisting of the project officer and a steering committee. The steering committee's purpose is to give advise for the project officer on how to plan, run, and manage the project and also to align the project's overall outcome with the organization's target and philosophy. The project officer has a broad control of the project and does not necessarily requires permission of the steering committee for a subtle change in the project, unless such change is fundamentally large. The steering committee will hold multiple interim sessions to check and address the plan, progress, and problem of the project.
    The project consists of several divisions which also have the limited power to change minor scope of the program, however a large-enough change would have to be consulted to the project officer who oversees the entire operation.

• Hello, I'm new here. What should I do?

• In my Company, where i work at ,the project manager has to report to the Managing director regarding all bills ,change in bills schedules and project progress. They actually take orders from the MD as to what needs to be done and finished when.

• In my organisation, all other managers (finance, procurement, MEL, Admin, nutrition) all report the State Project Manager, including the officers, and the PM reports to the Senior Manager.

• Hi, how can I get 100 points in this module in section Apply? thank you

• In my organisation, all other managers (finance, procurement, MEL, Admin, nutrition) all report the State Project Manager, including the officers, and the PM reports to the Senior Manager.

• Great study!
    My questions is how do someone create a work breakdown structure for projects that one is not familiar with?

It was just a struggle doing the assembly given.

Thanks.

• My organization though a limited liability company is a small one. The Project Coordinator reports directly to the Managing Director/CEO who gives directive on all the activities on site. By this, the project governance revolves around the Managing Director/CEO and the Project Coordinator.

• The team I work with has an organized project governance, the Program Manager reports to the Deputy Director, who in turns reports to the Executive Director. The Program Manager is allowed to make decisions related to program development & design, where grants should be applied, what type of applications or paperwork is needed to serve the community, and marketing.

• In my project we represent the consulting arm and subject mater experts contracted to work on a project. Having been put forward as the official bidders to the client and won and while we appreciate the position of the Chairman in terms of governance of the company we are subcontracted to represent as consultants- can he (the Chairman) hold a paid position on our Project team and what position could he hold

• This looks similar to my organization. As a project manager, I report to operations director who reports to CEO for the approval of the changes. CEO together with the donors give directions

• My organization though a limited liability company is a small one. The Project Coordinator reports directly to the Managing Director/CEO who gives directive on all the activities on site. By this, the project governance revolves around the Managing Director/CEO and the Project Coordinator.

• Project governance is one of the main roles to have it in any project, that is any project cannot implement and deliver its objectives if isn't present.

• In my case, director is the one responsible for authorizing targets and budgets

• My project is the establishment of a community healthcare system. The Initiative's Project coordinator is also part of the team leader and he always reaches out to me as the manager of the team before taking decisions that are critical for the My project is the establishment of a community healthcare .

T
    1 Reply
  • In my organisation the

• IN MY ORGANIZATION BEFORE THE START OF EVERY PROJECT IT IS IMPORTANT FOR THE PROJECT MANAGER TO LIST ALL THE STAKEHOLDERS INVOLVE AND ALSO UNDERSTAND THEIR PLACE IN THE PROJECT.

• Do your organization have satndard templates she uses for budgets and other project documents Or she (the project manager) has to come up with templates that aligns to your project scope? In essence, which option is the best practice?

• Do your organization have satndard templates she uses for budgets and other project documents Or she (the project manager) has to come up with templates that aligns to your project scope? In essence, which option is the best practice?

• In my organization the executive director makes the majority of the decisions, this being said the project manager gives updates on a regular bi-weekly basis.

• in our project, project manager manages the project but he has limited authority there fore decisions like changes in budgeting and change of project activities ,he has to seek direction from directors and perhaps donors

• In my organization, the project manager reports to the CEO and the stakeholders which involves donors and a maximum of 3 carefully selected beneficiaries of the project. These personnel make up the project governance. The scope and schedule are allowed to be changed by the project manager but the budget needs to go through rigorous proofing for it to be approved and this in turn give the governance the power to modify the scope and schedule as well.

• The project manager, works as a middleman between the stakeholders and field worker.
    In case, if they is any communication between stakeholders and fieldworks regarding to task and schedule.

• At our organization we have a board of governance. The project manager reports to the board, the manager is allowed to change the schedule,budget( depends with the activity at hand) and decisions.This is because the organization is small and its a running activities each day.

• The project manager makes implementation decisions. They break down project tasks and assign them to the rest of the team.

• Our project engages many different stakeholders, partners and funders so I think it makes it difficult for the Project Manager to have the final decision making power. I think in our context it is hard to balance flexibility on the ground with having a clear governance structure on paper.

• The project manager organize work, communicate, coordinate and schedule.

• The project manager makes implementation decisions. Project implementation is a very important aspect in project management.

• In our organization the project manager reports to the management team, then board of directors and finally our donors. The project manager is in charge of assembling project plans in order to guide their teams.

• Project governance helps for budgeting & time management, Risk and communication, execution, control and for getting final conclusion.

• In my organization, the project manager reports to the organization's director. The project manager has the authority to adjust schedules and tasks, but any changes to budgets, deadlines, or requirements must be approved by the director.

T
    1 Reply

D
    1 Reply
  • I work on a construction project funded by Africa Development Bank and the Government of Uganda. On my this project, the Project manager reports to the supervising consultant who then reports to a contract manager from the Government. The project manager on this site cannot change the schedule, scope, budget or material specifications without prior approval from the contract manger going through the supervising consultant. All correspondences to the client are addressed through the supervising consultant.

• I work in construction and we use standard Bills of Quantities

• Project Governance clarifies the roles and responsibilities for each project team member. It also define how the authority is shared and the accountable person if any change is needed.

• Thanks for sharing..

• In my organization, the Project Manager reports to the Operations Director, who liases between the project team and donors, working hand-in-hand with the Administration and Monitoring and Evaluation teams to ensure that scope, budget and time frame are adhered.

• The start of the project and the sharing of the structuring of the project as well as the contribution of the project to the community, what is the impact, it is interesting for us the learners

• in my organization the project managers reports directly to the director but he can change project tasks and schedules without approval from the director

P
    1 Reply
  • Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?

In my organization, governance is organized by a tiered system. Project managers report to Project Coordinators. The Coordinators create the scope, schedule and budget, and managers are tasked with implementing the projects within those restraints. The project manager is allowed to exercise creativity and devise specific ways to achieve those goals - for example, if a project must be completed in 12 months time, the manager will schedule for one part to be completed by 3 months, another by 6, etc.

• How much control does the Director usually maintain over his/her original decision? Does he/she trust the manager's discretion and ground-level experience? Or are they usually very insistent that their own estimates are the correct schedules to be followed?

• In my project structure, there is a board of directors to which the project manager reports to and from whom he gets permission pertaining to any changes in the project's three constraints (scope, time and budget). However, a provision was made that where the project manager does not get feedback within a specified period according to the urgency of the matter, he can take the authority to change the constraints within reasonable ranges. This serves time sometimes.

• Risks are really overwhelming. Some projects have failed completely due to huge risks they did not anticpate at all. For example, a project for promoting school enrollment in flood prone areas faced the great flood that washed away school blocks and other important project resources. Meteorological reports declared the area would receive very minimum rainfall hence reducing flooding. This was seen true after two years of no floods which attracted these social development projects. How best can we take into account even long range occurrences that would otherwise damage the project's success?

• at my organization, every departament have one project manager and this report to the departament manager, this is a family organization and all work in diferents directions but with the same objetive make money and this why have one project manager for diferents departaments.

P
    1 Reply
  • always the firts step we need do in the project is know the risk, what can happen before and after , what happen if this no work or if no have this item

• In these type of situation it is very difficult to operate, however the project manager can always be in contact with the CEO to to understand his mode of operation and if any problem arises, He should immediately consult the CEO. Also once in a time the project manager can ask the CEO about his limitations and power over project constraints so as to get a clear view of where and what he can have power over

• In my organization the project is managed by a project manager.
    Below is the list of key project team responsibilities
    Project Manager
    • Requirement Finalization
    • Client Communication
    • Process improvement
    • Quality Control
    • Management Reporting
    • Manage Risk log and associated mitigation activity
    • Solely responsible for timeous delivery on the project
    • Maintain project plan against baselines
    • Formulate the communications strategy
    • Prepare project progress reports
    Senior Developer
    • Design all components of the solution
    • Develop communicate and maintain the overall business architecture
    • Technical Analysis
    • Required Libraries for the development
    • Problem Solving
    • Perform unit tests
    • Monitor Performance and Capacity
    Developer
    • Develop backend and frontend
    • Develop various functions
    • Develop user interfaces
    • Design and Code Integration
    • Unit Testing
    Database Administrator
    • Database design
    • Data Integration
    • Data Clean-up (if required)
    UI Expert
    • Design frontend design
    • Design Backend design

• At my organization, the project manager reports directly to the CEO, who independently makes up the entirety of the project governance body, since it’s a small organization. While this hierarchical structure has been put in place, no clear cut job descriptions and limits are there such as which of the three constraints the project manager is allowed to modify, if any, or how often updates are needed.
    Any one here who works in a small non-profit such as mine, please share how you have found it best to work around these situations

T
    1 Reply
  • On our project the project manager reports to the Head of Programs and he has the last word for every decision.

• on our project Field manager is the focal person for the project but he first consult the senior program manager for change on budget and scope

• nice work for people to come together like this

• At our organization, the Project Manager reports to the Associate Director. The Project Manager's responsibilities involves coordinating all the project activities and supporting the area coordinators in their daily activities besides making sure that deadlines are met.

• On matters relating to the project scope, especially things that can not be changed by the manager, these issues are discussed in a project steering committee where stakeholders are a part of and this includes donors as well.

• In my organization, there is no specific program management team, it is usually just supervisors giving projects to their subordinates.

• Our project managers are given lots of autonomy within the confines of the grant. Questions/concerns can be brought directly to the executive director or brought to the whole staff for input at our weekly calls. Interim and final reports are made to the funder as are any requests for no-cost extensions. Our grants do not allow for any flexibility on total amount spent but budget line items may be modified with permission from funder.

• We are fully grant funded and our constraints are usually fixed through the funder. We have frequent staff meetings (weekly before pandemic and daily virtual check-ins thorughout the pandemic). All staff are welcome to weigh in on any emerging issues. Our executive director would take any needed modifications in scope or time to the funder for approval. Budgets are non negotiable.

S
    1 Reply
  • nice work for people to come together like this. However, i feel it is quite essential to combine the three approaches in order to get a realistic budget.

• nice work for people to come together like this. However, i feel it is quite essential to combine the three approaches in order to get a realistic budget.

• Nice way to come together in order to find realtime solutions to project management issues

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.