Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Thanks for the question.
    First of all, the skills vary in reality in different fields but there are certain and specific skills that any M and E Officer must poesses which include and not limited to:
    Data gathering knowledge,
    Data entry knowledge and interpretation and analysis of data using some applications e.g STATA or SPSS package.
    Further more, a good communication skill is very essential to present your findings.
    ICT skill also helps alot and so on.

• To be a professional M & I, I believe you should develop empathy as a skill due to the need to interact with a large number of people to gather valuable information. in my experience it is easier to recover data with a good attitude than with a great methodology

• @lilia_maximova said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hi colleagues. I am trying to gain experience in M&E and always mention research skills as well as quantitative analysis skills in my cover letters. How do you think what skills, both hard and soft, are essential for a M&E professional? What would be your recommendation for beginners in this field?

As an M&E professional, I think you need to have knowledge on data collection and interpretation, you need to know how to chose the best data to collect and which data collection tools can be used for different types of projects, you also need to know how to chose which indicators to measure and how to measure them, know how to come up with an M&E plan and follow it and how to analyze data to see the progress of your project.

Hi colleagues. I am trying to gain experience in M&E and always mention research skills as well as quantitative analysis skills in my cover letters. How do you think what skills, both hard and soft, are essential for a M&E professional? What would be your recommendation for beginners in this field?

I've come to know M&E as a continuous activity. The more you do it the more comfortable you get at maneuvering your project(s) Monitoring allows programs to determine what is and is not working well so that adjustments can be made along the way. It allows programs to assess what is actually happening versus what was planned. M&E will allow you to implement remedial measures to get programs back on track and remain accountable to the expected results the program is aiming to achieve.
    @lilia_maximova , I hope this little bit of information was helpful to you. Continue with this course, and take it step-by-step and you will do well. Good luck!

• Hi colleagues, I believe an individual should be skilled in both data gathering and data interpretation and analysis. He/she should also have knowledge in human services as this gives the individual an understanding of the different types of evaluation techniques. Human services also aides in communication skills. This too is vital when interpreting findings. Additionally, according to USAID, there are important competencies for an M&E professional. Some of these are: Project design, qualitative and quantitative techniques for data collection, data entry and descriptive statistics.

Hi Lilia_Maxim, thank you for this very important question. If you have been admitted to do Planning for M&E on the platform of PU, then welcome. It has been package in such a way that the essentials and fundamental principles to give you a good foundation. It will be a good take off point, and then the more you interact with materials and videos, the more you get better at it.

Hi lilian, adding to preceding recommendations from previous replies, an indepth knowledge of the use of Microsoft excel to aid you design various tools would come handy, while the principles to design pragmatic tools that you would need to monitor & analyse your program would be taught in the course.

J
    1 Reply
  • Hello everybody:

I guess that one of the most important skills is how to handle data. What would be the correct way to discard useless information and keep going with statistic process to get success? This process has made me feel overwhelmed almost always.

• @Prime said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@lilia_maximova said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hi lilian, adding to preceding recommendations from previous replies, an indepth knowledge of the use of Microsoft excel to aid you design various tools would come handy, while the principles to design pragmatic tools that you would need to monitor & analyse your program would be taught in the course.

Hi Lilia, I am interested in the answer to this question as well. In my limited experience, an essential soft skill would be the ability to look at data from all sides. Sometimes data seems to be saying on thing but if you turn it around it is saying something else. Here is a link to an interesting story about looking at something from a different point of view - https://blogs.dnvgl.com/software/2017/11/thinking-outside-of-the-box/ . Thanks, Janet

• Hi guys.
    My suggestion to you are : you should take a communication class , data analysis ,data collection an de multi language .Whether the goal is to manage data in Excel, ArcGIS, DevResults, or any other platform.

• COMMUNICATION for communicating with stakeholders, participants and for communicating results of the analysis to different audiences (beneficiaries, investors, implementing partners etc. ) according to specific interests.

E
    1 Reply
  • @Tavengwa said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hi colleagues,
    To my point of view, analytical thinking is very important for M&E workers. M&E officers should have the ability to design a questionnaire according to the indicators, that will help to collect all the necessary data.I'd like to gain my knowledge in designing questionnaires.

V
    1 Reply
  • @SophiePutkaradze said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@Tavengwa said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hi colleagues,
    To my point of view, analytical thinking is very important for M&E workers. M&E officers should have the ability to design a questionnaire according to the indicators, that will help to collect all the necessary data.I'd like to gain my knowledge in designing questionnaires.

@lilia_maximova: For an M&E professional, a strong quantitative and qualitative skills definitely helps. However, the challenge is to bring these M&E outcomes into impact and align with the return on investment. Now, I understand not everything would be RoI centric where communications becomes the key while interacting with pertinent stakeholders. A strong empathy goes a long way for an M&E professional.

-I think for a beginner, you must have social science research skills because its important for you to be able to collect and understand that is already available.
    -Also Data analysis skills are very important because they help you to determine whether program is tracking along with its goals or whether an intervention has had the desired impact.
    Finally, communication skills are absolutely key in M&E.

• Hi. Effective research methodology and analytics tools will help you maximize imput

• Course Facilitator

In monitoring and evaluation profession, data is the key variable tool for your existence. Thus, critical thinking, technical know-how and good computer knowledge of statistical packages is required.

This implies a process of conscious and patient learning to be able to identify, program, present and interpret data for the purpose of which you intend to make clarity on.

• Course Facilitator

@lilia_maximova, Social Science Research Skills,Data analysis,Communication,Contextual knowledge,Data collection through technology to name but few. I also believed this course is a step in the right direction because after completion you will be in the right footing to develop the necessary skills needed to be an M&E professional.

Hi, To be an M&E you need to have the skill in data collection, data cleaning and able to do data analysis and reporting . One need also need to be able to develop the M&E plan and assign roles and responsibility . one should also able to develop M&E tools ,data verification and indicators for each result area.

Thanks

• I think this course will shed more light on what skills are required.

• @Mark_G said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Good question @lilia_maximova, thank you for sharing it here!

What advice do others working in M&E here ( @all ) have to offer?

As what I had experienced while taking the Monitoring and Evaluating Course, the skills i had applied in the course is planning and outline-making on how to start my research, what to start and where to start. I took me sometime to plan to pass the course because I work as a school teacher. I planned how to strt my research because of my busy schedule.

• Hello, I agree to all the suggestions so far and believe that communication is a very essential skill set that is needed for the different persons you will have to relate to

J
    1 Reply
  • It is a step-by-step approach. since you have no previous experience, participate in this course first and lay hands on books in M&E. Then look for NGO to volunteer for. With this, the sky is your starting point

L
    1 Reply
  • @Ellehicm said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hello, I agree to all the suggestions so far and believe that communication is a very essential skill set that is needed for the different persons you will have to relate to

Couldn't agree more. Communication needs to fit the audience/person we are working with.

• Course Facilitator

As a M&E beginner you will be guided by a M&E manager. You should be able to understand the basic monitoring and evaluation concepts in the field, data collection methods. An understanding of research methods would also be good.

X
    1 Reply
  • @ayannagenas said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

As a M&E beginner you will be guided by a M&E manager. You should be able to understand the basic monitoring and evaluation concepts in the field, data collection methods. An understanding of research methods would also be good.

I will encourage to take your time to take more online courses on M & E. You can download videos too. If you have spare time , you can sot for an M & E manager to coach you. Infact thats what am presently doing to enhance my skill. Cheers

Computer skills

• As it has been say by many others, it is not an event, it is a process. You need to give your all to learn. Try as much as possible to work with your monitoring and evaluation team. Learning from your M&E team will further enhance your capacity to learn more in addition to what we are learning here theoretically.

• From my basic knowledge and experience in M &E, beyond acquiring hard skills such as research skills and data analysis skills, soft skills such as being observant else a lot of errors and omissions will go unnoticed, open minded (because your research can lead you to conclusions that are completely different from expected results) as well as being result-oriented (helps you to stay focused even when things tough).

• from my experience, for a professinal M and E we need to have problem identification skill, data collection and data analysis skills as well as project design skills

A
    1 Reply
  • In my humble view, to begin with, basics in project management are important. We have learned the cycle of project implementation and noted how key the M&E is considered: at the center of all steps. Then come Knowledge of statistical analysis and various programs used for data analysis.

L
    1 Reply
  • Hi Team,
    Interesting debate for a great question. For me what i think most is your capacity to analyze things, the ability to ask the right question, an appetite for research and great interest in data collection and more so to use the data to make decision. The willingness to learn a new skill will be instrumental

• In my opinion, I think the essential skills for M$E are

1. To know Social science and research skills.
    2. Communication skills
    3. Data Analysis
      4.Computer literacy
      5.Multiple languages
    S
    1 Reply
  • In my opinion, I believe that knowing social science and research skills, having good communication skills, having a good understanding of data analysis and computer literacy are essential skills for monitoring & evaluation

• Some of the core skill required to be an M&E professional are; social science Research skill,Data analysis(at least ability to use software such as SPSS,STATA and R),Communication and lastly conceptual knowledge. Acquiring such skill requires consistent training and retraining and most importantly application of the knowledge you have gained.

• Very interesting topic and thanks for sharing it. In my understanding of the question I suppose the following skills will be needed or helpful:

1. Good research methodology skill
    2. Effective data collection skill
    3. Efficient data analysis skill
    4. Effective communication skill
      5 Data management skill.
      The above can be very helpful to M&E professional in achieving any objective or solving challenges.
  • Communication skills
    Data Analysis
    .Computer literacy
    Multiple languages

• Thank you for bringing up such a good topic.

The field of monitoring and evaluation demands that you acquire knowledge in social research. This is important because it will help you in the whole process of determining what information to collect, how you will collect it and lastly how you will analyze the information.

As earlier commented by my colleagues, it is also important to have hands-on knowledge of data entry software i.e SPSS, STATA or any other which may help you store and analyze information.

A
    1 Reply
  • @arnoldnyirenda said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Thank you for bringing up such a good topic.

The field of monitoring and evaluation demands that you acquire knowledge in social research. This is important because it will help you in the whole process of determining what information to collect, how you will collect it and lastly how you will analyze the information.

As earlier commented by my colleagues, it is also important to have hands-on knowledge of data entry software i.e SPSS, STATA or any other which may help you store and analyze information.

The fat that a certain percentage of errors and the cost of labour indulged for only the zero step in some situations which IT and software technology could get you the data zero error to start your job with. Amir Adja

• @ACW said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

In my opinion, I think the essential skills for M$E are

1. To know Social science and research skills.
    2. Communication skills
    3. Data Analysis
      4.Computer literacy
      5.Multiple languages

i concurr

From my experience both quantitative and qualitative research skills are necessary. You will need great analytical skills, time management skills and also presentation skills both oral and written communication.

• @Stacy-Ann said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

I think using the right monitoring process helps you improve your Monitoring and Evaluation skills. Evaluation both practical and theoretical helps you identify your skill gaps, thus provides individual learning opportunities where are the deficiencies.

• Prioritising

diligence in reporting

Additionally, there are core skills that are quite essential like data analysis skills [both quantitative, qualitative and cost benefit analysis - especially for development project], Data Collection Skills - I believe you will be responsible for data collection tool design, so it is quite important to know how to ask a question to get right answers. Documentation - report writing also is a skill that is key

• Good afternoon, I think this is a good opportunity!

• hello!.. In my opinion one should have research skills that will help an M&E person to know what data to collect, where to collect and how to collect them. Also data analysis skills, good communication skills and of course positive attitude because some information are hard to get.

• You must have basic knowledge in the area of ​​activity for which you need to do the monitoring and evaluation. Also, you need to know the effect, product and impact indicators specific to this area. You need to put in place mechanisms for collecting, analyzing and interpreting data. You need to know how to communicate in order to be able to feedback this data. These skills are not exhaustive. This is my modest contribution.

• @1976_Fred said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

In my humble view, to begin with, basics in project management are important. We have learned the cycle of project implementation and noted how key the M&E is considered: at the center of all steps. Then come Knowledge of statistical analysis and various programs used for data analysis.

Statistical analysis is the least pleasant part at the moment, but I fully agree.

P
    1 Reply
  • @MTM4SUDAIS said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

It is a step-by-step approach. since you have no previous experience, participate in this course first and lay hands on books in M&E. Then look for NGO to volunteer for. With this, the sky is your starting point

Thank you for encouragement!

• @BeingSharan2019 said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@lilia_maximova Hi There !!! Also @Mark_G @ekanshkshetrapal Most of these skills are looked at namely : M&E skills

Core skills for monitoring and evaluation jobs

Social Science Research Skills. ... (Quantitative and Qualitative Research Methods)

Data analysis. ...

Communication. ...

Contextual knowledge. ...

Data collection through technology. ... ( should be aware of coding and new platforms)

Multiple languages. ... (helps in being versatile)
    Hey thanks, for the addition

• I am in agreement that some hard-skills are necessary; i.e., research and design of data collection tools, verification/data quality and analysis, and reporting.
    However, Hector's response above is critical. He mentions "empathy" as an important attribute of the M&E officer(s). Based on my experience, empathy/communication is an important quality necessary and to facilitate effective M&E. For example, based on my experience in transitional environments, the M&E is not a readily understood element of activity in their rural/remote (or even urban) areas. M&E is seen as intrusive, and it is a feared element because they understand that revealing or sharing information, relative to this activity, is the equivalent of giving away proprietary information or approaches. In "giving" away this information they perceive that their organization will be "weakened". In "giving" away information they perceive an increase in competition and a potential to diminish/limit/or lose already limited donor funding.

Thus it is critical for the M&E officer not only to understand the local context, but also to educate and increase the beneficiaries' understanding of the positive features of M&E; why M&E is important as a means to strengthen the organization and its activity - and in fact to strengthen possibility for future funding. Communication with a heavy doze of "empathy" is necessary if any of other hard or soft M&E skills are to be effective.

• I totally agree with your submission.

• In embarking on M&E, it is imperative that several skills be acquired in order to provide the individual with a refined sense and mode of operation. Skills that could make you a top notch in the M&E industry, such as Qualitative and Quantitative Data Analysis, Report formulation and writing, Open data kits, etc.

C
    1 Reply
  • Hi Colleague,
    In my view, there is the need to unerstand the purpose of MandE, the processes, the tools, and the conept of evidence based decision maki,g, amongst others.

• along with the research skil observation skills, communication skills and analytical skills is essential for monitoring and evaluation. More over while going for monitoring the skills of articulating the problem and suggesting the remedies is also very much important.

• @Voaali said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

In embarking on M&E, it is imperative that several skills be acquired in order to provide the individual with a refined sense and mode of operation. Skills that could make you a top notch in the M&E industry, such as Qualitative and Quantitative Data Analysis, Report formulation and writing, Open data kits, etc.

Thank you, very helpful!

• In my view research skill is essential for an M& E professional.

• i think being able to analyse data and good communication including Contextual knowledge and Research design, sampling methods, evaluation and selecting research tools will help you a lot

• Skills for M&E is vast, however the basic knowledge in my view is your appreciation of data mining and its management. You may need to have a grasp over excel which is one of the commonly used data filtering software. Your understanding of social issues and the objective of the study you are undertaking will lead to the type of deduction will you make from the data gathered.

O
    1 Reply
  • @Lutha said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

from my experience, for a professinal M and E we need to have problem identification skill, data collection and data analysis skills as well as project design skills

Impressive. I also think they should have basic computer skill coupled with an efficient communication skill.

S
    1 Reply
  • @MabelAyisi said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Skills for M&E is vast, however the basic knowledge in my view is your appreciation of data mining and its management. You may need to have a grasp over excel which is one of the commonly used data filtering software. Your understanding of social issues and the objective of the study you are undertaking will lead to the type of deduction will you make from the data gathered.

This standpoint is solid.

E
    1 Reply
  • The use of statistics and graphics will be very good following an accurate accurate survey.

• Skills in M&E are too wide but it also depend on the particular project you are working on at a giving time, but you need excellent computer skills in all Microsoft package, vast knowledge in data management, data analysis, research methodology, data interpretation, reporting using accurate data for programmatic use, managing and uploading data into necessary app system and maintaining that system, maintaining database system etc...

• Required Skills in M&E vary as it depends on what the project is about and the overall results to be achieved. An M&E professional should know the appropriate data to collect and know the right tools to analyse the data. Basically data collection, inputing, analysing, and reporting skills.

P
    1 Reply
  • @Ahmid said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@Lutha said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

from my experience, for a professinal M and E we need to have problem identification skill, data collection and data analysis skills as well as project design skills

Impressive. I also think they should have basic computer skill coupled with an efficient communication skill.

All starts from having the passion in quality assurance and making sure that the end product is one that the project desired to attain. It is this drive which should then lead to one having basic understanding of what the project entails and the necessary achievements expected. It should be noted that M&E is not a stand-alone component of project implementation and management but is part of the whole that should be considered well during the project idea development, project design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, closure and project sustainability tracking. This therefore means that the necessary skills should include the collection of important data, data screening, validation, analysis and proper co-relationship to available attributes etc...

• @tosraheal said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Required Skills in M&E vary as it depends on what the project is about and the overall results to be achieved. An M&E professional should know the appropriate data to collect and know the right tools to analyse the data. Basically data collection, inputing, analysing, and reporting skills.

The required skills for M & E attributes to the following;
    .Research Skills.
    •Data analysis.
    •Communication.
    •Contextual knowledge.
    •Data collection through technology.
    •Multiple languages.
    •Hiring a Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant.
    . Computer skills etc.

K
    1 Reply
  • @Perrymwaba said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@tosraheal said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Required Skills in M&E vary as it depends on what the project is about and the overall results to be achieved. An M&E professional should know the appropriate data to collect and know the right tools to analyse the data. Basically data collection, inputing, analysing, and reporting skills.

The required skills for M & E attributes to the following;
    .Research Skills.
    •Data analysis.
    •Communication.
    •Contextual knowledge.
    •Data collection through technology.
    •Multiple languages.
    •Hiring a Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant.
    . Computer skills etc.

dear Perrymwaba,
    I know about all that you mentioned but dont have experience in M & E

• Hello, I am in agreement with all responses. I would like to add that its very important to understand the key stakeholder in the process and who the data is intended for. This will guide you in the design process and data analysis and presentation. Many times we conduct M&E and the data gathered is not useful because we missed out the component of understanding the consumer of the data.

• Agree to all the responses above, in addition, it requires everything from communication, researches/surveys, writing case study stories, analysis which you are doing every day, eg. you wake up in the morning and decides on what to wear, what to eat, already you are doing analysis, so you are doing this everyday, all you need to do is apply the logic to real program or be a volunteer with an M&E team to utilize the skills you have already

• Personal & Professional Development with Talent Management

• It's awesome to learn here. I have also same question for doubt?

Hi i think most important to gain experience is to volunteer in organisations

• Well, I would suggest you go to an organization and mainly volunteer and learn from M & E department. This is in case you have a bachelor's and have some experience (doing your bachelor's degree research) in conducting research and dealing with statistical analysis software for data analysis.
    This will enhance your skills in an exponential way. Filed experience is very important but it will also depend on different factors such as M & E's department commitment in teaching you what needs to be done when it comes to M & E.
    If you don't have research experience I recommend you take a research course and the rest will follow.
    I hope it helps.

• Thank you for this question,being an M&E professional is the desire of every individual dealing with the community.For one to achieve this therefore,the best way to work it forward is to understand the unique forms of data collection,how best you can analyse this data to achieve your goal,and finally the perfect means of presenting the idea to your beneficiaries/stakeholders

• All said by colleagues, I would suggest you consider the data quality standards that provide the assurances of would be data you will be working with, whether quantitative or qualitative. You might also be interested in learning software including SPSS, R (open source), STATA, and for analyzing geo data, you might want to also consider this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spatial_analysis_software.

L
    1 Reply
  • @ONGoyee said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

All said by colleagues, I would suggest you consider the data quality standards that provide the assurances of would be data you will be working with, whether quantitative or qualitative. You might also be interested in learning software including SPSS, R (open source), STATA, and for analyzing geo data, you might want to also consider this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spatial_analysis_software.

Thank you for sharing the link for data analysis, it is a very useful information for me

• I also suggest that the skills essential for a M & E professional may also include how to design an evaluation study and choosing the evaluation strategy that will guide you in your evaluation exercise.

We need to experiences in data analysis and need to familiar with data analysis tools. And also knowledge about data structure and interpretation.

• My recommendations are good writing and communication skills, researching skills and analytical skills

• Dear Colleagues,
    In addition to all that has been mentioned, a very crucial skill to being a successful M and E professional is attention to details. Whether in data analysis or interpretation. We must pay close attention to details and be able to point out errors or anything out of place. Cheers. Tolulope

P
    1 Reply

Pour moi, il est nécessaire que le chargé du S-E ait d'abord un bagage suffisant en cette matière avec connaissance de base en logiciel du suivi et de l'évaluation. Ceci l'aidera à bien vaquer à ses activités. En plus de sa, il faudra qu'il ait aussi les notions en rapport avec la redevabilité et apprentissage car, il doit fournir des rapports statistiques et tous les détails sans oublier les analyser et produire des conclusions/recommandation à faire pour rectifier ou améliorer la prestation ou l'action.

A
    1 Reply
  • @Bazijoseph2 said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Pour moi, il est nécessaire que le chargé du S-E ait d'abord un bagage suffisant en cette matière avec connaissance de base en logiciel du suivi et de l'évaluation. Ceci l'aidera à bien vaquer à ses activités. En plus de sa, il faudra qu'il ait aussi les notions en rapport avec la redevabilité et apprentissage car, il doit fournir des rapports statistiques et tous les détails sans oublier les analyser et produire des conclusions/recommandation à faire pour rectifier ou améliorer la prestation ou l'action.

Just to emphasize that you have to envolve all the stakeholders, so be communivative and Leader. Be read to motivate Teamwork.

Hope it was helpfull

• Critical thinking, good analytical skills, good at writing reports, comparisons, and good mathematical skills... basically

• M &E needs soft skills such as good communication skills, report writing ability,data collection and planning techniques as well as data analysis and presentation skills. computer literacy is a must to be able to work with data.

critical thinking, creative thinking, data collecting, analysis, and management skills ... etc

• The following skills are key in an M&E

Contextual Skills
    Research Skills
    Communication Skills
    Writing skills

• Hi @lilia_maximova

Have you heard of Devex.com? It's a media platform for the global development community. They have some articles and links contributed to by M&E experts that I think would be really useful for you. Link below!

https://www.devex.com/news/how-to-build-your-expertise-monitoring-and-evaluation-93724

1 Reply
  • @rlpark said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Hi @lilia_maximova

Have you heard of Devex.com? It's a media platform for the global development community. They have some articles and links contributed to by M&E experts that I think would be really useful for you. Link below!

https://www.devex.com/news/how-to-build-your-expertise-monitoring-and-evaluation-93724

For one to be a good M&E Professional, its important to possess

• Good Report writing and Presentation skills. (Data, gathering Interpretation and Presentation)

• Elicitation skills (Communication)

• Attention to details as an Attitude.

• I a lot has been mentioned and relevant articles recommended. That should help your quest. Good luck

@1976_Fred said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

In my humble view, to begin with, basics in project management are important. We have learned the cycle of project implementation and noted how key the M&E is considered: at the center of all steps. Then come Knowledge of statistical analysis and various programs used for data analysis.

Statistical analysis is the least pleasant part at the moment, but I fully agree.

@lilia_maximova Totally agree with you.

1 Reply
  • @TOLBAL said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Dear Colleagues,
    In addition to all that has been mentioned, a very crucial skill to being a successful M and E professional is attention to details. Whether in data analysis or interpretation. We must pay close attention to details and be able to point out errors or anything out of place. Cheers. Tolulope

@TOLBAL I thinks that, we have learned the cycle of project implementation and noted how key the M&E is considered: at the center of all steps. Then come Knowledge of statistical analysis and various programs used for data analysis.

• @pedrofloresmr said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@1976_Fred said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@lilia_maximova Totally agree with you.

@Gudina_befekadu totally agree with you

• @Dickson said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

@lilia_maximova ...... Apart from the fact that m&e is a very vast and complex area of expertise, it comes with it's own basic understanding for beginners which i believe if you have duly enrolled in the m&e course here, it will make a good path to start. Trust me, it's not rocket science, if you understand the basis, you will definitely learn how to fly from here. Warm Regards

This advice is really helpful. Thank you

1 Reply
  • For effective Monitoring and Evaluation System the following skills are needed;
    Data collection and analyst
    Knowledge management
    Communication
    Research skills
    Technical report writing

• In addition we need abit of knowledge on standard and industry practices.

• Hey everyone .

It's long time for me without get touch this platform. but for now I am here.
    For prossional, The skill of the M&E I thing are:

1.Good Research methodology skill
    2.Effective data collection skill
    3.Efficient data analysis skill
    4.Effective communication skill, and

1. Data management skill.

Thank for All

• Hello folks, I think you people you have mentioned out most all of essential skills for M&E, but also i would like to advise those who are not familiar with mobile data collection to explore on ( Kobo toolbox,Odk) it because its helpful when you have a large volume of data

I think that the basic foundation of skills one should have as a beginner in this field are analytical and logical skills, data analysis , reasearch skills hich both includes qualitative and quantitative data.

• @GeofreyDaniel said in What skills are essential for a M&E professional?:

Kobo toolbox,Odk

I think that the most important skills for an M&E professional would be Research skills. This is the start point as it helps determine the extent of your knowledge on subject or field in which the monitoring process is been applied. With extensive knowledge on the field you are evaluating, you would be able to determine what can be monitored and how the approach will be as well as the monitoring methodologies that failed in the past.
    Another would be data analysis. Since you are going to be showing changes/ results and proving same with evidence, you would need to be avast with forms of data collection and analysis as that will help in your result harvesting. Project data that is effectively used can show project impact at a glance.
    Communication is also a key aspect of successful monitoring processes. The ability to produce reports that highlight project results and outcomes is indispensable for M&E professionals. Good communication ability determines the nature of results and success of endline evaluations, which in turn is a huge determinant of project continuity.

• The basic skills one requires to have for effective monitoring and evaluation stems from the willingness to work in research-driven activities. Then comes the skill that includes communication skill, detailed oriented, analytic, and data collection and processing. Further, we need to have a knowledge on how to use benchmark information for comparing the project outcomes.
    On top of that, one should have the knowledge of M&E frameworks like logical framework, team mobilisation, report writing which will help to track the project, suggest corrective actions and document success stories.

• Data Analysis, Critical Thinking and Qualitative Research skills are essential for M&E Professionals

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.