Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @saidiheinze said in Data Science for Social Good:

I have ever worked for the government as HMIS Admin, use to do validation, analysis and dissemination, though much of the analysis was centrally done.
    Data analysis using different packages, coding and others would help My Organisation now
    Making decision has been very easy, monitoring and evaluating activities

I am Charlieman, I am to be part of this course. I find it to be a necessary tool for my organization.

• The topic is essential for any organization.

• @CHARLIEMAN said in Data Science for Social Good:

@saidiheinze said in Data Science for Social Good:

I have ever worked for the government as HMIS Admin, use to do validation, analysis and dissemination, though much of the analysis was centrally done.
    Data analysis using different packages, coding and others would help My Organisation now

I am Charlieman, I am to be part of this course. I find it to be a necessary tool for my organization.

I am Nokusindisa, I would love to be part of the course as I find it an important tool for my organization

B
    D
    2 Replies
  • @Perfect19 said in Data Science for Social Good:

@CHARLIEMAN said in Data Science for Social Good:

I am Nokusindisa, I would love to be part of the course as I find it an important tool for my organization

Hi, I am Namugombe Aisha and I have worked on number of data analysis including training some students. I have got passion for M&E and I believe that I can much better with this tool for my career. I happy that I am going to start on Monday,

1. Yes, we use data Analyst, to analyse the feedback gotten from projects
    2. We analyze using SPSS majorly
    3. I will appreciate other tools like excel, STATA, etc, and advanced spss
  • @Perfect19 said in Data Science for Social Good:

@CHARLIEMAN said in Data Science for Social Good:

Good day everyone. I am Elena Dantes. I am really interested to be under this learning platform. I am recently working as a Science and Technology teacher of which I am a newbie at this field. This upcoming next semester, I would have admin support functions for Human Resource of which this is related with my previous worked experience of almost seven years in an academe. Thank you for hopping me in.

• Hi,
    This is a wonderful initiative, i have been working in academic field as a research analyst so i would be nice if I could have more in depth on the predictive analytics. such Random forest, Decision threes, Regression analysis, K-nears neighbors, neural network, and other machine learning algorithms

• Hello every, I am new in the field of Administration.
    But this course is a mind moving course because as Software engineering graduate I will like to have a background in such course and be certificated.

• Glad to be a part of this wonderful platform. I expect some great professional development.

Adnan, Pakistan

• @awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good:

Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?
    How has data science helped your organization?
    I am no longer working with organisations ; however, I took 3 months school for social data analysis and management. I believe it is so powerful tool for future :)

Hi @all ! Philanthropy University is considering providing courses on data science. These new courses would teach skills and tools for analyzing and using data; skills like statistical analysis, programming, and data visualization.
    Before we create anything, however, we're curious to know how your organization uses data science. Please take a moment to respond to the questions below. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew
    1. Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    2. What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?
    3. How has data science helped your organization?

Hi. I'm not working now, I'm looking for a job. But my last director used data analyst to analise the indicators.

• Dear Andrew, yes Data Science is the new mantra at work and life. We use data and analysis synchronization in our research, management and social integrations. AI is revolutionizing the world and data science plays a vital role. I congratulate you for planning to introduce this course which will be immensely valuable to many learners like me.

• @AyushiSingh said in Data Science for Social Good:

Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?

My organization works with Data Analyst, the tasks are to enter data, clean data, analyze, reporting, search, documentation, and they are used for monitoring.
    Data science would be important if it could help us analyze in a nice easy way and make it easier to track our results.
    it helped in getting more organized researches and useful reporting.

Yesmy org works with Data analyst but only for accounting and funding proposal. The use of data in decision making is very less.

churning out raw data into a visualization that can help make better decisions.

The data science has helped to create an efficient monitoring and evaluation platform for us at Deshpande foundation.

Hi @all ! Philanthropy University is considering providing courses on data science. These new courses would teach skills and tools for analyzing and using data; skills like statistical analysis, programming, and data visualization.
    Before we create anything, however, we're curious to know how your organization uses data science. Please take a moment to respond to the questions below. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew
    1. Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    2. What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?

Yes, my organisation uses data analysis, however, we in my organisation analysis survey data from the field mostly.
    Specially the statistical skills
    Data science have help me to make an inform decision on the current issues surrounding our communities

• I think its wiser for the course to include data science because most M and Es do all the work that concerns data.We should migrate from just knowing and or using excel but we should be familiar with other data softwares

• Yes, it will be very useful course forM&E workers. Currently, I am working in none profit sector, planning and design various surveys and than processing and analysis. This course will help me to learn new techniques In data analysis, I hope

• Andrew
      yes my organization work with data scientist. just data entry
      data analysis program
      make the researches that we do, more defined and empirical and get useful results.
    E
    1 Reply
  • @rabab_mahmoud_25 said in Data Science for Social Good:

@awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew
      yes my organization work with data scientist. just data entry
      data analysis program
      make the researches that we do, more defined and empirical and get useful results.

yes our welfare development works with Data Analysts, we have per systems; their tasks are to enter data, clean data, analyze, reporting, search, documentation, and they are used for monitoring.
    Datas are important helped us analyze the compliance of households in education , health . we also use these data in addressing the gaps.

It is a brilliant initiative and I certainly look forward to it.
    Presently we do not have a defined data analyst position, but I am the one who handles it as a researcher and faculty. Since we are associated in the teacher training and school education stream, I look at the data generated from student tracking, formative and summative assessments, teacher appraisals etc.

The most helpful skill, I wish to learn would be designing tools for qualitative and quantitative research that would most effectively capture data to guide us through our programmes, help us redesign programmes if needed and make key decisions, partnerships and investments.

Data science gives my management and leadership team a picture of our annual performance, performance over the years, it has helped us rethink strategies re-work our monitoring mechanism.

• for my organization partners are responsible for data entry ,m&e is responsible for data cleaning ,analysis and visualization.
    Data science has helped us to make informed decisions about on on going projects.My team will be pleased to learn about data analysis tools i.e SPSS,STATA and R

• @awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good:of the analysis.
    For me what will be most helpful i dtat science will be skills in data collection,and management, presentation and interpretation, and then visualization. Also there is the need to developing a tool for easy data collection and interpretation.
    Data science has been helpful in that it reduces the quantity of literature that needs to be written for a particular report and helps partners and stakeholders to at a glance appreciate the state of the organization. Also from the data science, it is easy to see if the indicators are there for a quick project evaluation and meeting of objectives.

• Andrew
      I work with a non-governmental organization of two churches in the area of education. Our work is often reported tthorugh lots of data which is often done by the project coordinator who is a data analyst.thThere is often data interpretation and visualization.
      We do data collection and entry and the Coordinator does the rest of the
  • We presently have an Health Informatics unit that handles most request on data. However, offering courses in data science is part of learning cuff for me and will be very useful for me going forward

• That would be very helpful for my org. I welcome the idea

• Andrew
    1. Yes, my organization work with data analysis
    2. Data analysis skills using different programs or software will be so helpful to my organization
    3. Through analysis different qualitative data
  • I will like this, it will help my organization become better
    Thanks

• Data science skills are very much needed.
    Data programmer are in place here. However, I would love to learn how to use data software for statistical analysis.
    Excel skills are already in place for data visualization but more knowledge is required in the area of GIS.

1 Reply
  • yes that skill is very much important. our organisation has been hiring 'experts' to do that i think if i can learn them i would be very grateful
    complex data analysis for social research even GIS is too important

• This is a great initiative, I highly welcome the idea.

My organisation deals in social research to Influence policies.

we call them IT/Data Managers, they are charged with survey programming, generating high frequency checks and audit surveys. then analysis.

Data analysis will be a helpful tool for my team

• Great initiative, it will help me better my skills

• Thanks, it will be useful to improve my skills in the domain.

1. There are data scientist in our organisation, the did the collection of data in different domain such us GIS, demography, ...
    2. The most useful skills for us would be skills in data collection, organisation, analysis, interpretation and presentation. Skills in statistical analysis, decision making, programming and data visualisation will be so useful for us in order to improve our abilities in data sciences.
    3. It will help in making decision linked to data we have
  • Data science has become one of the most important domains in our life,I would like to learn it and improve my skills.

I
    1 Reply

• Andrew

Hi , this term is new for me so i would love keenly to know more about it to improve my skills

• @talla said in Data Science for Social Good:

Data science has become one of the most important domains in our life,I would like to learn it and improve my skills.

Hi, I'm eager to gain more experience about data science because it has become more important in our day to day monitoring and evaluation of programs.

• Hi In our organization we collect data in the form of statistics butIi don't know whether the numerical data is really valued in decision making so I think incorporating data science as course would be helpful.

• Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that uses scientific methods, processes, algorithms and systems to extract knowledge and insights from structured and unstructured data. Data Science is good in the organization for monitoring and evaluation and also, for keeping records.

• Andrew

Hi @awyndham, It would be nice if the data science course could include lessons on how to use data analysis tools like SPSS, ENA software for SMART, STATA, among others

• @Faizi said in Data Science for Social Good:

Greeting,
    I am Faiz Muhammad Khan from Pakistan. I have over 18 years of multi-cultural exposure in different organizations (both in International Development Organizations Environment/Commercial Organizations/Oil & Gas/attached to Government-in consortium) due to which I have gained valuable acumen in the fields of Human Resource, Administration/Office Management, Operations, Warehousing, Logistics, Coordination, Security and Project Management.
    Currently, I am enrolled in following courses ;
    1-Human Capital Strategy
    2-Advocacy
    3-Setting up a Non Profit Board
    4-Fundraising Strategies

I have already completed my training courses like
    1-Fundraising: Connecting with Donor
    2-Establishing Effective Partnership,
    I believe all these training courses are interactive and are very instrumental in making us more professional in our fields. We learn by doing it ourselves. So let’s team up to kick start and finish our training course in time. Please feel free to reply.
    Regards,
    Faiz Muhammad Khan

@FAIZI Hi every one lets team up for Human Capital Strategy. Feel free to contact. @Gospringlink are you there to join me again?

X
    1 Reply
  • hey, happy to be part of this network. I'm called Yves,I'm from Demcratic Republic of the Congo in an organization named Ugeafi.
    We do not use data science within our organization. It could be better to reinforce us on this issue.

Thanks in advance

• @Faizi said in Data Science for Social Good:

@Faizi said in Data Science for Social Good:

Greeting,
    I am Faiz Muhammad Khan from Pakistan. I have over 18 years of multi-cultural exposure in different organizations (both in International Development Organizations Environment/Commercial Organizations/Oil & Gas/attached to Government-in consortium) due to which I have gained valuable acumen in the fields of Human Resource, Administration/Office Management, Operations, Warehousing, Logistics, Coordination, Security and Project Management.
    Currently, I am enrolled in following courses ;
    1-Human Capital Strategy
    2-Advocacy
    3-Setting up a Non Profit Board
    4-Fundraising Strategies

I have already completed my training courses like
    1-Fundraising: Connecting with Donor
    2-Establishing Effective Partnership,
    I believe all these training courses are interactive and are very instrumental in making us more professional in our fields. We learn by doing it ourselves. So let’s team up to kick start and finish our training course in time. Please feel free to reply.
    Regards,
    Faiz Muhammad Khan

@FAIZI Hi every one lets team up for Human Capital Strategy. Feel free to contact. @Gospringlink are you there to join me again?

Mr. Faizi, from your above write up is obvious you have a lot of experience on 5he courses you enrolled for, I enrolled for Human capital strategy and would like to work you as a team. Am experience too in Technology and Office management.
    Please kindly let me know what to feel about my proposal.

• My name is Patrick Obasi am from Nigeria. My Organisation makes use of date science and analysis , so if there's a course that handles packages on date analysis I will be grateful to be part of the course.

• Yes, my organization work with a data analyst. We call them knowledge sectors that develop study tools and analyze the quantitative and qualitative data and doing the interpretation.
    I hope this course will help to extend the impact of the research for developing the community (people with dissability, gender and children perspective, minority, and climate change)
    For further, I want to know about the M&E, log frame, and the strategic planning and the fundraising.

• Yes, we, in our organization collect analysis and use the data on our project activities. We are using the data to see the project progress and to find out if we are on the truck. For me, it will be helpful to learn more on structured assessment and research skills. Using the evidence to make the decision was a helpful practice we have been experiencing in our organization.

• Hello, my name juliana and from Malaysia. Hope ro learn new skill and able to contribute my new skill to my non profit organisation.

• Hello all,

My name is Kanjagua Mugambi from Kenya, I am a Monitoring and Evaluation Professional hoping to learn more on Monitoring and Evaluation of different projects and Human Capital Strategies. All this is aimed at ensuring that the plans set for human resource.

I have enrolled on:

1. Human Capital Strategy
    2. Monitoring And Evaluation

I am planing to do some more courses once i am done with this.

Hoping to learn together.

Thank you.

• Am here to learn

• Yes my organization/ institution has a monitoring and evaluation officer who collected and analyzed data and produce a report on a monthly basis for decision making.

• I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

M
    1 Reply
  • @fofanahosman26 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

Hi, its a pleasure to be part of this course. I have been in the NGO world for quiet some time now implementing different projects. my organisation also have a M&E officer who moves frequently to the project sites to collect information regarding the project progress and later on writes a report and shares with comments on areas that needs improvement.

J
    1 Reply
  • @Mich-o said in Data Science for Social Good:

@fofanahosman26 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

Hi, its a pleasure to be part of this course. I have been in the NGO world for quiet some time now implementing different projects. my organisation also have a M&E officer who moves frequently to the project sites to collect information regarding the project progress and later on writes a report and shares with comments on areas that needs improvement.

Hello everyone . I'm H. Bélore Jean Pierre and I'm an economist and I have a keen interest to develop an NGO. I've already taken The planning for Monitoring and evaluation course but now I'm taking the "Introduction to Fundraising " course so my organization could be able to have an understanding in raising fund.

• Andrew

I am learning how to use R as part of my programme curriculum. I am at the stage when it looks a little bit too abstract. I am looking forward to get an idea how data science works in real-life organisational setting as I believe it's a necessary complement of analytical tools.

S
    1 Reply
  • Hi. I am working with a small group of youth dedicated to farming activities. We do not have an idea of a data analyst or data scientist. However, data analysis combined with effective monitoring and evaluation appears inevitable as we expand our production and market share. I believe data analysis such as statistical analysis would really help to make evidence-based decisions in future.

A
    1 Reply
  • @lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew

I am learning how to use R as part of my programme curriculum. I am at the stage when it looks a little bit too abstract. I am looking forward to get an idea how data science works in real-life organisational setting as I believe it's a necessary complement of analytical tools.

No

L
    1 Reply
  • In before organization we were working with data from waters tests, we were implementing CBT Ecoli Water Quality test in province of Darien, very remote communities that use water directly from the rivers, also communities that is highly affected by its freshness.
    Data was collected manually by team in field and them analyzed per community ( demography info) to run educational project, prioritize according to need and impact, also to choose the communities that needed the water purifying systems the most. It helped on the planning lots.

• @sunlikesworld said in Data Science for Social Good:

@lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew

No

Please elaborate 😉

R
    1 Reply
  • @lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

@sunlikesworld said in Data Science for Social Good:

@lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew

No

Please elaborate 😉

Hi Andrew ,
    First of all ,really appreciable initiative for the professional who play with the data.

Ans:
    Yes,My organization works with the data due to we trying to reach every child for his/her vaccination .
    Data analyst is responsible to identified their gaps during vaccination activities.
    Using data for the purpose of future planning and reporting purpose.It will help for my organization
    because it will authentic feedback of project and program.

• Unfortunately,No,but am curious to learn and maybe implement it in our organization

• No idea. But its one of the subject that I would like to get deep on it.

• It is a welcome development if data science is offered here. My organization generates data on a daily basis which are managed by a team called the strategic information team. So, having the opportunity to study data science here would be a great opportunity.

• Andrew

This would be an excellent initiative from the university. I work in an educational organization. We use data science to analyze students performance across subject and grade levels.

• My organisation works with data but they are done manually. If we can have a process that will be automated, i think that would eradicate error on data collation.

• Course Facilitator

As a Geographic Information Analyst (GIS expert) digital ways to collect data on the field has really helped my organization to improve in output. So yes it is really a wonderful and more effective way to manage data.
    Contact us through info@tspatial.com experts will guide you on how you can utlize the technology effectively at low cost

• I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

A
    1 Reply
  • @sune said in Data Science for Social Good:

Hi. I am working with a small group of youth dedicated to farming activities. We do not have an idea of a data analyst or data scientist. However, data analysis combined with effective monitoring and evaluation appears inevitable as we expand our production and market share. I believe data analysis such as statistical analysis would really help to make evidence-based decisions in future.

Sounds great... We would appreciate your encouragement Sir. Join us on agribusiness development group: https://t.me/agribuzdevgroup

• @Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

Sounds great... We would appreciate your encouragement Sir. Join us on agribusiness development group: https://t.me/agribuzdevgroup

S
    1 Reply
  • @Adewalealadesuru said in Data Science for Social Good:

@Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

yes, I will appreciate and benefit from that. thank you for the suggestion.

J
    1 Reply
  • @Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

@Adewalealadesuru said in Data Science for Social Good:

O
    S
    2 Replies
  • @Jgadowah said in Data Science for Social Good:

Kindly shed more light on this interesting group. Thank you.

• @Jgadowah said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Course Facilitator

• Andrew

happy for that opportinuty to learn and perform in data science , statistical analysis , programming , wrangling and visualization;
    Our organization collects data in household economy to target beneficiairies who should be enrolled in an adaptative social protection project;
    fighting against poverty and vulnerability and to enhance communities resilience;
    econometric model (Proxy means testing) is used for that purpose and statistical analysis are done using stata (software);
    for my own purpose i hold some online courses on data science using R, i ready succeed achieving certificate in introduction to R; R basic, R data wrangling, R data visualization and R ....

• Hi,
    This is great idea, I have been looking forward to this as it essential skill for my work as an M&E professional.

At my Organisation SADO-Somalia, we use mobile platforms to collect baseline and endline data of beneficiaries as well other assessment datas to determine status of the beneficiaries (economic, dietary, social etc) in order to monitor progress as we implement our humanitarian initiatives. The data we collect also inform the programmes we design, so data collection, editing, auditing and analysis is an important aspect of our programming.

I will appreciate the addition of data science component. Thanks

• @awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good

Hi, I work for an organization that focuses on social innovation to eradicate poverty. It collects mainly cross-sectional data but less often, time series and panel data for analysis to develop a theory of change. Knowing how to collect, manage, analyse and interpret this kind of data will be super helpful.

D
    1 Reply
  • I think it would be great, because having data, and understanding how to use it, can be a very powerful tool for organization, because it can serve as a way to measure their impact.

• @Prixy said in Data Science for Social Good:

@awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good

Hi, I work for an organization that focuses on social innovation to eradicate poverty. It collects mainly cross-sectional data but less often, time series and panel data for analysis to develop a theory of change. Knowing how to collect, manage, analyse and interpret this kind of data will be super helpful.

Are you looking to learn statistics?

• Awareness of how data is use it is an extraordinarily great apparatus for the society and having make a greater impact , since it can perform as a means to determine their effect on the society.

• Hi everyone, glad to be here.
    Ntui, Peter O.

• I've got no much knowledge on data sciences but being a mean of extracting more info from data itself which is an improvement on info tech

• @DrTolulopeJayeoba said in Data Science for Social Good:

Data science skills are very much needed.
    Data programmer are in place here. However, I would love to learn how to use data software for statistical analysis.
    Excel skills are already in place for data visualization but more knowledge is required in the area of GIS.

I agree that data science is very much needed nowadays, In fact i am a junior data scientist and data analyst.

• I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

S
    A
    2 Replies
  • @ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

hi I am interested in learning python, could you share what would be the first step towards learning that language?

N
    2 Replies
  • @Shreyoshi said in Data Science for Social Good:

@ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

hi I am interested in learning python, is there a site out there (such as Philanthropy University) that would be helpful?

• Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

1 Reply
  • @Shreyoshi said in Data Science for Social Good:

@ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

hi I am interested in learning python, could you share what would be the first step towards learning that language?

Yes there are Coursera or DataCamp, https://www.learnpython.org/, Openclassroom

• @Darling2 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

Yes there are Coursera or DataCamp, https://www.learnpython.org/, Openclassroom

@Darling2 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

• @ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Which sites can one learn these?

How has data science helped your organization
    This is or will be a wonderful experience, my organization work with large data analyst to analyze their data for policy makers. Some of the helpful data science skills we hope to learn include data analytics, data mining, Artificial Intelligence, machine learning and data visualization. Data science has helped my organization in making inform decisions.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.