Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @dancy said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

What’s your strategy for engaging stakeholders? What’s the key to developing an impactful engagement strategy?
    During the planning stage, there is a careful review of stakeholders who may affect the outcome of the project. We start by doing a due diligence on each (individual/corporate) then send letters to them requesting for a meeting, this is followed by a phone conversation and actual physical meeting (or virtual where physical meeting is not possible). It is during the meeting that we share expectations and propose their level of involvement which in most cases are non financial.

What’s an example of stakeholder engagement for your organization that was successful, another example where it was not so successful, and what did you learn from both?

Successful: Engagement of Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA) - The TBAs were needed to help in reporting cases of Gender-Based Violence in communities. We engaged them though the Traditional Medicine Board (all TBAs must belong to the agency before been licensed to practice). We meet at a middle point wherein the TBAs can give us what we want legitimately with ought compromising the way of practice nor their confidentiality policy.
    Failure: An approval (which is the norm) was sought from the ministry of education to conduct an awareness program for young girls. The state managed education ministry declined our request therefore, we approached another foundation who has an existing approval for a collaborative strategy. The awareness program was achieved with this strategy

How has stakeholder engagement and feedback led to a pivotal change for your organization?

1. It makes us think and work towards of collaboration
    2. It has encourages us to conduct advocacy visit to stakeholders especially state owned
    A
    2 Replies
  • Dancy, good work you have got their and as I learnt in the module 2 of our advocacy class, I think you can employ the three dimensions of advocacy strategy.
    Find what best motivates each of these stakeholders.
    Engage them at strategic times and,
    Frame your message in a way that appeals to their sense of judgement

S
    2 Replies
  • @ApotieriAyansola said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Dancy, good work you have got their and as I learnt in the module 2 of our advocacy class, I think you can employ the three dimensions of advocacy strategy.
    Find what best motivates each of these stakeholders.
    Engage them at strategic times and,
    Frame your message in a way that appeals to their sense of judgement

Great! I full agree. Congrants for your insight and point of view.
    cheers,
    SB

Hello @all !

My name is Dancy, and I design courses for Philanthropy University. We're working on a new course that will teach you how to develop a cohesive Stakeholders Engagement Strategy, for both internal and external stakeholders. Since this community is full of partnership and external relationship experts, I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback on this topic!

Please reply to this post with your responses to any of the questions below, and we may feature your answer in the new course. And, if you'd be interested in collaborating further on the content of this stakeholders engagement course, please message me directly! I'd love to have a conversation.

• What’s your strategy for engaging stakeholders? What’s the key to developing an impactful engagement strategy?

• What’s an example of stakeholder engagement for your organization that was successful, another example where it was not so successful, and what did you learn from both?

• How has stakeholder engagement and feedback led to a pivotal change for your organization?

Hi, my name is Cristina. The strategy we usually do in our coalition with civil society organizations (CSO) to engage stakeholders is first we identify the CSOs that we may consider as a stakeholder for a certain issue although generally, most CSOs in our city are automatic stakeholders already. The invitation may be done through SMS messaging, chat and sometimes we call them if we have a direct contact already of a particular CSO. In the invitation alone, we already inform them the purpose of the meeting and the issue concerning our locality that we need to address immediately. The meeting in itself is crucial because it is in there where we develop impactful engagement strategies to address an issue concerning our city. It is in the meeting wherein every CSO gets to contribute a strategy, resources and including information that may be helpful in addressing the issue.
    One example of stakeholder engagement was last 2017 when our coalition group campaigned against the lowering of Minimum Age of Criminal Responsibility (MACR) from 15 years old to 9. We invited all of the CSOs that we considered as stakeholders and given all the information concerning the issue in the meeting, it had been decided to launch an information campaign about MACR Law and Child Development together with a 1M signature campaign against lowering of MACR involving the churches in our city. Actually, there were similar campaigns in the country but it was only in our city that had the participation of different churches and hit the 1M and more signature campaign.
    We were only unsuccessful with the same issue just this year because our country’s present administration already passed the law in Congress without consultation and immediately in the Senate.

C
    2 Replies
  • @damilola_adenusi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@dancy said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

What’s your strategy for engaging stakeholders? What’s the key to developing an impactful engagement strategy?
    During the planning stage, there is a careful review of stakeholders who may affect the outcome of the project. We start by doing a due diligence on each (individual/corporate) then send letters to them requesting for a meeting, this is followed by a phone conversation and actual physical meeting (or virtual where physical meeting is not possible). It is during the meeting that we share expectations and propose their level of involvement which in most cases are non financial.

What’s an example of stakeholder engagement for your organization that was successful, another example where it was not so successful, and what did you learn from both?

Successful: Engagement of Traditional Birth Attendants (TBA) - The TBAs were needed to help in reporting cases of Gender-Based Violence in communities. We engaged them though the Traditional Medicine Board (all TBAs must belong to the agency before been licensed to practice). We meet at a middle point wherein the TBAs can give us what we want legitimately with ought compromising the way of practice nor their confidentiality policy.
    Failure: An approval (which is the norm) was sought from the ministry of education to conduct an awareness program for young girls. The state managed education ministry declined our request therefore, we approached another foundation who has an existing approval for a collaborative strategy. The awareness program was achieved with this strategy

How has stakeholder engagement and feedback led to a pivotal change for your organization?

1. It makes us think and work towards of collaboration
    2. It has encourages us to conduct advocacy visit to stakeholders especially state owned

What a great advocacy strategy you have used there,topnotch

• great!! your advocacy strategy

Hello @all !

My name is Dancy, and I design courses for Philanthropy University. We're working on a new course that will teach you how to develop a cohesive Stakeholders Engagement Strategy, for both internal and external stakeholders. Since this community is full of partnership and external relationship experts, I'd love to get your thoughts and feedback on this topic!

Please reply to this post with your responses to any of the questions below, and we may feature your answer in the new course. And, if you'd be interested in collaborating further on the content of this stakeholders engagement course, please message me directly! I'd love to have a conversation.

• What’s your strategy for engaging stakeholders? What’s the key to developing an impactful engagement strategy?

• What’s an example of stakeholder engagement for your organization that was successful, another example where it was not so successful, and what did you learn from both?

• How has stakeholder engagement and feedback led to a pivotal change for your organization?

Hello, my name is boniface Ngomwa. Our organisation deals with poor waste management in zomba city in Malawi. Involvement of stake holders is at the core of the organisation. These include the people that our initiative targets in the communities. These, we meet through organised meetings at the village headmans place or through door to door meetings. Other prominent people include the city council and other equally inportant people. These we organise meetings as well with those heading the organisations. One meeting that was successful was with the district health officer and his team in which we discussed the way forward of our organisation. This was made possible through various consultations and communication. Failure to communicate well however led to a failure of another meeting scheduled with the village head.

D
    J
    3 Replies
  • Greeting,
    I am Faiz Muhammad Khan from Pakistan. I have over 18 years of multi-cultural exposure in different organizations (both in International Development Organizations Environment/Commercial Organizations/Oil & Gas/attached to Government-in consortium) due to which I have gained valuable acumen in the fields of Human Resource, Administration/Office Management, Operations, Warehousing, Logistics, Coordination, Security and Project Management.
    I believe, that training courses like Donor Relation, Private Public Partnership, Governance and USAID Rules and Regulation will help me understand program side very well and for sure will also take me to senior position on the projects. I would like to be a part of team during learning process.
    Regards,
    Faiz Muhammad Khan

1 Reply
  • Hi @ngogoloa - thank you for your example! I would like to know more details about what happened between the two trainings that you rolled out to the two different groups. Why was the first training for 20 senior managers received with mixed feelings? Why was the second training for another group (who was this group?) far more successful? Were you able to go back to your first training for the senior managers, and make changes to how you engaged them, to make that training more successful the second time around?

Lastly, you made an excellent observation that: “One important point is understanding your key stakeholders that you want to get the buy-in from and know how you can pitch/introduce your agenda across the ranging groups so when it comes on the table you have the assurance the resistance wont be much.” Can you please further explain this point? How should you use your understanding of key stakeholders in order to customize your pitch to them, to ensure buy-in?

Thank you for your help!
    Dancy

• @jumamtis Hi Juma, thank you for your example of using peer to peer engagement with young people, that’s so true! I would like to know more details about your work with these young people. What kind of work do you do? How old are the youths in your example? How do you train young people to engage with other youths to discuss their issues? What do you mean by “This is very good strategy because you find that some of these young people have access to other different key stakeholders” - who are these key stakeholders that you otherwise would not be able to access?

Thank you for your help!

• @MarionWanyonyi Hi Marion, thank you for your point about making sure your organization’s mission and vision are clear, before bringing in stakeholders who may have their own agenda if yours is not clear enough! It sounds like you have some valuable experience about this. Can you please share a story or example where you learned this important lesson? Did you work in an organization where the mission and vision were not clearly stated, and some stakeholders tried to change it or impose their own agenda on your organization? I would like to hear more details about your experience, thank you for your help!

• @TobiNigeria haha well said, thanks for your response!

• @rosieouta Thank you for your support, and I hope you'll enjoy this course once it comes out in a few months!

• @successwills4 Thank you for your support, and I hope you'll enjoy this course once it comes out in a few months!

• @khanadvisors That's great to hear, and I hope you'll enjoy this course once it comes out in a few months!

• @Mawusi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

The strategy I employ is that which according to best practices the 5W and 1H. Who, What, Where, When, Why, How...

Thank you for your response! I would like to hear more about your strategy using 5W and 1H: Who, What, Where, When, Why, How… especially when you say you’ve never been unsuccessful before! How can an organization apply “5W and 1H” to their stakeholders? Do you have an example or story you can share to illustrate this? Thank you for your help!

• @nadiif1983 Dear Abdirahman, I'm glad you see this new course as being valuable for your organization and career, and I hope you'll enjoy it once we launch it in a few months!

• @KINDMAN Hello, thank you for your response! You’re right, empathy is very important and goes a long way to understanding your stakeholders. I would like to hear more - do you have a story or example you can share about why having empathy for stakeholders is important, and how it led to a successful relationship? Thank you for your help!

• @Glory-29385 Hi Robert, thanks for your detailed response! You’re absolutely right, you must incorporate stakeholder engagement into your core business, and not just do it on an ad hoc basis to get what you need. I would love to hear more - do you have any stories or examples you can share of how you’ve incorporated stakeholders’ feedback into your strategic planning process, for example? How has this type of feedback led to organizational change for your team? Thank you for your help!

• @manjul Thank you for your support Manjul, and I hope you'll enjoy this course once it comes out in a few months!

• @wkanawale Hi Wati, thanks for your response! I would love to hear more - do you have any stories or examples from your work setting up and running these administrative meetings where you must get all these different stakeholders to resolve an issue together? That sounds like so many things can go wrong! How did you manage to get all these different stakeholders to work together? How were you able to align all of their own individual agendas towards a common goal and outcome for the greater good of the group? Thank you for your help!

• @Simo_74 Hi Simon, thank you for your response! I would love to hear more about your story. Why did the farmers not leave satisfied towards the end of the project? Were you able to figure out new strategies of engagement after that happened? What do you mean by the “innovator farmers” in your last line - not sure if you finished typing the whole sentence? Thank you for your help!

• @MutintaMwiinga Thank you for your support, it’s great to hear that this new course will be helpful for your organization. I hope you'll enjoy this course once it launches in a few months!

• @beema Hi Eugene, thanks for your response! You shared some great strategies on stakeholder engagement, namely how important it is to understand your stakeholder first! I would love to hear more - do you have any stories or examples from your work you can share? For example, how did you undertake “on-field stakeholder feasibility studies to understand local stakeholder dynamics and their various level of influence and impact on one's impending project”? Can you provide a story from your experience that shows how much time and effort this took, where did you go, who did you talk to, and how were you able to observe and understand stakeholder dynamics as it pertains to your project? Thank you for your help!

• @Wimbai_84 > Hi Wimbai, thanks for sharing your stories and advice! It sounds like you have a lot of expertise in this area, so I would love to hear more!

1. Stakeholder Consultative Meeting/Engagement workshop - this is a great idea! Do you have a story or example here that you can share? What do you do if stakeholders in this workshop offer different ideas or needs for the project than you intended? Do you change your initial plans in order to fit more closely to your stakeholders’ needs?

2. Can you please explain more about your unsuccessful engagement? I didn’t quite understand what you mean by “The unsuccessful engagement is when we wanted to set up community based tourism projects we left out some stakeholders to that point that when having discussions most ideas and concepts where resident (?) with other non governmental organisations working in the various communities.

3. Can you talk more about what were the different types of communication platforms you used to send out invitations?

Thank you for your help!

Hello @all !

Our strategy for engaging stakeholders has varied from meetings, workshops and data collection by group of appointed volunteers gathering different views on the opinion we hold. Their views are sourced from all the different means analysed and used to amend or modeled ours according to proposal that we synthesized and concluded. We have used the opinion not to immediately change ours but as a contributing opinion without making us change direction completely.
      From the different approach we have applied we noted that is it not only one approach that can create an impactful engagement strategy so the best can only be narrowed to the key project objective and a choice is made to choose two or more to gather the information for that impact to be felt.

Meetings, workshops and target stakeholder engagement has been successful in giving us good input that we incorporated in our strategy easily. We learnt the best way to source opinions necessary to include in our project strategy while data collection by volunteers has not yielded good results and we cannot explain why but only suspicious that they data collectors tampered with the data.

We have used the views to typically modeled our activities to gain improvement in the direction of the stakeholders views without creating total change to our dream. This has made it more attractive to us as well as the stakeholders creating a mutual relationship that seems to last longer.

Overall our stakeholders opinion sourcing has been based on the strata, mapping and geographical locations.

• @beema said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Wimbai_84 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

The strategy my organisation uses depends on the type and scale of the project. We draw up list of stakeholders we think are relevant to the project then we write them asking the to attend a meeting or workshop which we term Stakeholder Consultative Meeting/ Engagement workshop.
      > What is key to impactful engagement is to have open discussions about the project where we encourage participants to share ideas, thoughts inventions, fears and experiences without imposing what we want to do because at the end of the day success of the project is hinged on participation and full involvement of the stakeholders.
      > We were looking for women to be part of a women in tourism organisation we asked other stakeholder organisations to assist with send out invitations across the country thus the meeting drew women from cities to villages in all our national provinces. The unsuccessful engagement is when we wanted to set up community based tourism projects we left out some stakeholders to that point that when having discussions most ideas and concepts where resident with other non governmental organisations working in the various communities.
      From both scenarios we learnt that working with other like minded organisations and sharing information is key in drawing up the necessary stakeholders. Sending out invitations on different communication platforms that are suitable for different stakeholders is also key in inviting participation and doing so on time.
      Stakeholder engagement has allowed us to do projects that are beneficial to the community and that respond to the realneeds of the community. it has helped us get partnerships and funding to some projects. It has alo allowed us to efficiently work and come up with meaningful strategies.

My strategy for engaging a project's stakeholders is to;

1. First of all identify and draw up a list of all potential stakeholder elements, these could be community and opinion leaders, pressure groups, associations, youth groups, religious groups, associations, local goverment institutions, potential beneficiaries, donors/sponsors, and so on;
    2. Undertake on-field stakeholder feasibility studies to understand local stakeholder dynamics and their various level of influence and impact on one's impending project.
    3. Next is to carry out stakeholder holder analysis by ranking each stakeholder's impact on one's project by level of influence, authority, interests, critical decision maker, key influencer, local culture norms and beliefs, acceptable channel of communication, etc;
    4. Write down each stakeholder's level of importance to ones project success or otherwise after thoroughly analysing and understanding each stakeholder's impact on one's entire project success or failure and finally,
    5. Live, communicate, mingle, think and breath with your target project community, audience and interest groups so as to enjoy unconditional support and coorperation for one's project.

In view of the above, the key to impactful engagement strategy is to understand your potential target audience or beneficiaries and interest groups like key decision makers, community leaders, influencers, etc.; their unique social, economic, political and cultural situations; their needs and interests.

Out of the five key aspect you presented, i feel they are good and i would equally apply a similar approach and sieve accordingly.

B
    1 Reply
  • @MrLookSoGood said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

My strategy for engaging stakeholders is by first, having a structured stakeholder mapping to identify the critical partnerships and collaborations as well as possible areas of threats to effectively engage stakeholders and get their buy-in into our operations.
    The key to developing an impactful engagement strategy is having periodic meetings and sensitization to keep stakeholders abreast of any new developments and to also advocate existing policies and ways to implement them.

An example of stakeholder engagement for my organization, internally, that was successful is the Quarterly Townhall Meetings, and externally, are the conferences, workshops and Fairs. The unsuccessful ones were Values Orientation Trainings - internally, and Youth Sensitization Workshops - externally.
    Lessons learnt from both outcomes makes me know what factors militate against effective stakeholder engagements and ways to draw an inference to address pressing stakeholder challenges with the overall objective of enshrining collaboration on all fronts.

Stakeholder engagement and feedback has led to a pivotal change for my organization by making her responsive and empathic to the issues around its stakeholders which shape our policies and implementation strategies. Hence, it makes us socially, economically, and corporately responsible.

Absolutely.
    Stakeholder sensitivity is strategically the key to effectively remaining sustainable with our various publics that in turn earns any organization or group the status of a good corporate citizen and instils confidence for the overall attainment of our objectives rather than mutual suspicion that breeds crises that are inimical to growth.

• @531 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@beema said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Wimbai_84 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

The strategy my organisation uses depends on the type and scale of the project. We draw up list of stakeholders we think are relevant to the project then we write them asking the to attend a meeting or workshop which we term Stakeholder Consultative Meeting/ Engagement workshop.
      > What is key to impactful engagement is to have open discussions about the project where we encourage participants to share ideas, thoughts inventions, fears and experiences without imposing what we want to do because at the end of the day success of the project is hinged on participation and full involvement of the stakeholders.
      > We were looking for women to be part of a women in tourism organisation we asked other stakeholder organisations to assist with send out invitations across the country thus the meeting drew women from cities to villages in all our national provinces. The unsuccessful engagement is when we wanted to set up community based tourism projects we left out some stakeholders to that point that when having discussions most ideas and concepts where resident with other non governmental organisations working in the various communities.
      From both scenarios we learnt that working with other like minded organisations and sharing information is key in drawing up the necessary stakeholders. Sending out invitations on different communication platforms that are suitable for different stakeholders is also key in inviting participation and doing so on time.
      Stakeholder engagement has allowed us to do projects that are beneficial to the community and that respond to the realneeds of the community. it has helped us get partnerships and funding to some projects. It has alo allowed us to efficiently work and come up with meaningful strategies.

My strategy for engaging a project's stakeholders is to;

1. First of all identify and draw up a list of all potential stakeholder elements, these could be community and opinion leaders, pressure groups, associations, youth groups, religious groups, associations, local goverment institutions, potential beneficiaries, donors/sponsors, and so on;
    2. Undertake on-field stakeholder feasibility studies to understand local stakeholder dynamics and their various level of influence and impact on one's impending project.
    3. Next is to carry out stakeholder holder analysis by ranking each stakeholder's impact on one's project by level of influence, authority, interests, critical decision maker, key influencer, local culture norms and beliefs, acceptable channel of communication, etc;
    4. Write down each stakeholder's level of importance to ones project success or otherwise after thoroughly analysing and understanding each stakeholder's impact on one's entire project success or failure and finally,
    5. Live, communicate, mingle, think and breath with your target project community, audience and interest groups so as to enjoy unconditional support and coorperation for one's project.

In view of the above, the key to impactful engagement strategy is to understand your potential target audience or beneficiaries and interest groups like key decision makers, community leaders, influencers, etc.; their unique social, economic, political and cultural situations; their needs and interests.

Out of the five key aspect you presented, i feel they are good and i would equally apply a similar approach and sieve accordingly.

Thanks. Hope it helps you in achieving target goals.

So far we do not have a cohesive strategy in place for developing impactful engagement strategy.

Jeffersonian Dinners and other special events have always provided us with potential stakeholders, but not much more beyond that.

We have not had stakeholder engagement create a pivotal change in our organization, as of yet.

Kim Anthony
    Urban Philanthropy Network

• I believe that the term stakeholder engagement" is preferable to the more common "stakeholder management". If a stake holder is defined as anyone with an interest in a project or its outcome, then the project leader will be enjoying with those over whom they have no direct authority, such as those from different departments or external customers or partners.
    From my own experience of leading programs and projects, talking with other practitioners and reading literature on all aspects of human nature, of influencing people, motivation and shaping change. I have identified a number of principles specific to engaging and influencing people. These principles serve as compass points in the sometime chaotic world of change with people of all kinds and serve to be universal, self validating and empowering. These include,
    1. Listening, this is a powerful strategy and the best way is to ask the person you are looking to influence for their thoughts aspirations and fears to show that you are genuinely interested and begin to break down any barriers to change. This helps to focus on the need for change rather than present the solution first. Often merely listening to someone helps them to open up and buy into what you are trying to achieve as you both look at the problem together.

1. Secondly, through developing new habits. This goal of change is to develop new and often better habits but people's bahaviour is not going to change overnight and old habits are going to take a while to change. So increase and engage all stakeholders with the change and establish new ways doing things by rewarding the desires outcomes to help make the change permanent.
    2. Lastly, i think that through building up relationships as with most life situations, different people respond to change in different ways and it's important to explain to those who will be affected exactly how this who will be in an open and honest way. Yet its equally as important to create an environment and anticipation, a sense of need for change and for all stakeholders to understand why "now is the right time"
      In conclusion, I think that the above mentioned ways can led to to pivotal change for an organisation.
    2 Replies
  • @roniek90 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

I believe that the term stakeholder engagement" is preferable to the more common "stakeholder management". If a stake holder is defined as anyone with an interest in a project or its outcome, then the project leader will be enjoying with those over whom they have no direct authority, such as those from different departments or external customers or partners.
    From my own experience of leading programs and projects, talking with other practitioners and reading literature on all aspects of human nature, of influencing people, motivation and shaping change. I have identified a number of principles specific to engaging and influencing people. These principles serve as compass points in the sometime chaotic world of change with people of all kinds and serve to be universal, self validating and empowering. These include,
    1. Listening, this is a powerful strategy and the best way is to ask the person you are looking to influence for their thoughts aspirations and fears to show that you are genuinely interested and begin to break down any barriers to change. This helps to focus on the need for change rather than present the solution first. Often merely listening to someone helps them to open up and buy into what you are trying to achieve as you both look at the problem together.

1. Secondly, through developing new habits. This goal of change is to develop new and often better habits but people's bahaviour is not going to change overnight and old habits are going to take a while to change. So increase and engage all stakeholders with the change and establish new ways doing things by rewarding the desires outcomes to help make the change permanent.
    2. Lastly, i think that through building up relationships as with most life situations, different people respond to change in different ways and it's important to explain to those who will be affected exactly how this who will be in an open and honest way. Yet its equally as important to create an environment and anticipation, a sense of need for change and for all stakeholders to understand why "now is the right time"
      In conclusion, I think that the above mentioned ways can led to to pivotal change for an organisation.
      Bonjour à tous.
      Ici la notion des parties prenantes devrait être précisée. Est-ce qu'elle renferme aussi les bénéficiaires, les leaders et les faiseurs d'opinion au niveau local, les décideurs qui contribuent par l'édiction des normes ?
      Si l'on considère les bénéficiaires, la stratégie que j'ai utilisé jusque là et qui a donné des bons fruits , c'est celle qui consiste à associer les bénéficiaires àla planification et au suivi, à la définition consensuelles des stratégies de mise en oeuvre des activités du projet. Comme laissons apprise: lorsque les bénéficiaires sont impliqués à la planification et au suivi et à l'évaluation, l'appropriation du projet ainsi que sa pérennisation est assurée.
  • @Cishugi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Ici la notion des parties devrait être précisée. Est-ce qu'elle renferme aussi les bénéficiaires, les leaders et les faiseurs d'opinion au niveau local, les décideurs qui veulent par l'édiction des normes?
    Si l'on considère les bénéficiaires, la stratégie que j'ai utilisé jusque-là et qui a donné des bons fruits, c'est celle qui consiste à associer les bénéficiaires à la planification et au suivi, à la définition consensuelle des stratégies de mise en oeuvre des activités du projet. Comme laissons dire: lorsque les bénéficiaires sont impliqués dans la planification et le suivi et à l'évaluation, l '

My name is Emmanuel CISHUGI. Let's say here that the notion of stakeholders should be clarified before anything else. Does it also contain beneficiaries, leaders and opinion makers at the local level, decision-makers who want by the enactment of standards?
    If we look at the beneficiaries, the strategy I have used so far and which has yielded good results is that of associating beneficiaries with planning and monitoring, with the consensual definition of implementation of project activities. As a lesson learned: when beneficiaries are involved in planning and monitoring and evaluation, project ownership and perinisation are ensured

1 Reply
  • @Geofori Hi George, thanks for your response! You made some great points about how important it is to keep stakeholders informed and integrated throughout a project, allowing you to save resources and ensure their acceptance of the deliverables at the end. I would love to hear more - do you have a specific story or example that you can share on this? You also mentioned that “stakeholder engagement almost always leads to a pivotal change“ - how has engagement led to a pivotal change for your organization? Thank you for your help!

• @damilola_adenusi Hi Damilola, thanks for your response! It seems you have a wealth of knowledge in this area, and I’m particularly interested in hearing more about your successful/unsuccessful stories. Are you saying for your first story, that you were successful because you understood the needs of your stakeholder, the TBAs, who wishes to maintain their confidentiality? Where was this “middle point”? For your second story, what was the lesson learned here? Thank you for your help!

• @ApotieriAyansola That's great advice, and wonderful to see you're applying what you're learning in our Advocacy course. Thank you!

• @Christy75 Hi Cristina, thank you for your story! So it sounds like your campaign was successful in getting to 1M+ signatures by involving many CSOs and the churches, but it failed to get your government’s support to not lower the MACR. I would love to hear more! How did you decide to engage the churches in your city for your campaign? How did you consider their needs, then approach them to gain their buy-in and support? What lessons did you learn from your experience? Thanks in advance for your help!

• @Faizi Hi Faiz, it’s great to hear that this new course will be helpful for you and your organization. I hope you'll enjoy this course once it launches in a few months!

1 Reply
  • @Boniface_Ngomwa Thanks for sharing your experience, Boniface!

• Dear Dancy,
    Good afternoon, I know you have had lost of answers from my course mate here, however one of the strategies we used in our recent project in Nigeria here. My organization is Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria. We implement the care and support aspect of the Global Fund HIV/TB and our role as a community worker is to strengthening the community aspect of PMTC by strengthening the TBAs to serve as a hub for facilities linkages and referrals, thus we created a stake holders group called Ward District Committee (WDC) which comprises of every groups in the communities, both women, youths the chief of the community serve as a host. Trust me each engagement do come out with fleshy opinions.

1 Reply

@Faizi Hi Faiz, it’s great to hear that this new course will be helpful for you and your organization. I hope you'll enjoy this course once it launches in a few months!

@dancy hI Dancy sure. Thanks indeed.

1 Reply
  • Hello, every one , I would like to team up with one team member ideally from Pakistan. Please contact at your earliest.Regards

S
    1 Reply
  • @tcciprojects said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

My strategy for engaging stakeholders is 1st hosting the launch of the Organization were internal and external stakeholders and partners will be introduced and the agenda will fully outline short- term goals and who is responsible for what by a certain time.

Our Board of directors will fully manage and coordinate tasks given to each from this point with Internal stakeholders and partners. Deliverables which involve external stakeholders will also be managed by designated personnel.

@dancy Hi Dancy, your all efforts are highly appreciated. Perhaps, it would be good idea that you should also think about including course on USAID Rules & Regulations both for program and operation side.

• @roniek90 Thank you for your response Kyomuhendo! You're absolutely right that you should engage stakeholders with empathy and an open mindset, to listen to their concerns and be open to change. I would love to hear more - do you have a story or example of how you used these skills to successfully engage with a difficult stakeholder? Thanks for your help!

• @Cishugi Hi Emmanuel, thank you for your response! The definition of stakeholders are anyone who can impact, or is impacted by, your organization. I would love to hear more about your strategy of involving beneficiaries in the planning and monitoring of a project! Can you share a specific story or example of where you did this, and how the beneficiaries responded? How did you learn this lesson - was there a previous instance where you did not involve the beneficiaries, and the outcome was unsuccessful? Examples like these are particularly helpful for our participants to learn from. Thanks in advance for your help!

• @Edmikey Hi Michael, thanks for your response! I would like to understand your strategy and your organization more. What do you mean by “TBA”? What was the problem that you saw, that led you to create the Ward District Committee? How did you get buy-in from so many different groups - youths, women, and the chief of the community - to join? What has been the result of this new WDC group - how that has addressed your previous problem and helped your organization succeed? Thanks so much for your help!

E
    1 Reply
  • @Faizi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello, every one , I would like to team up with one team member ideally from Pakistan. Please contact at your earliest.Regards

Hello Faizi, I am from Pakistan

1 Reply
  • @saimirfan57 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Faizi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello, every one , I would like to team up with one team member ideally from Pakistan. Please contact at your earliest.Regards

Hello Faizi, I am from Pakistan

@saimirfan57 Hi Saim,Nice to know. I would be in touch shortly.

• Hi everyone!

I am Jude from Nigeria.

For strategically engaging stakeholders, I usually employ these 3 ingredients:

1. Objective - In my opinion, creating a win-win situation is very important in relating with stakeholders. There is need to clearly communicate how your objectives align with theirs.
    2. Capability - Though the objectives may very well align, do they really have what it takes to make the impact you want to see? What is the extent of their influence, or charisma, or basic general ability?
    3. TPA (timing, place & approach) - Get this wrong and you lose out on potentially great relationships. Knowing when, where and how to present your opportunity could be a deal breaker.

My 2 cents.

Cheers.

• Hi I am Samuel from Ghana. Stakeholders have great impact on business and the economy of a country if are given attention and let them see they part of business progress.

Please I think WhatsApp group will help us more. Is a suggestion please

1 Reply
  • @ofosusammy407 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hi I am Samuel from Ghana. Stakeholders have great impact on business and the economy of a country if are given attention and let them see they part of business progress.

Please I think WhatsApp group will help us more. Is a suggestion please

Hi Samuel, thanks for your response! I'm curious what you mean by a "WhatsApp group will help us more" - do you mean for a current course you're taking, for the Stakeholders Engagement course, or for me to communicate with you further about this stakeholders topic? Thanks!

• @Mawusi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

The strategy I employ is that which according to best practices the 5W and 1H. Who, What, Where, When, Why, How...
    I also determine the dimension of the communication either written or oral. most time but written and oral has to be employed.

It has helped to keep the stakeholder closer to the project and help build a better relationship with the stakeholders.
    I have never experienced it not being successful.

I agree with your comment

• @Faizi said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Faizi Hi Faiz, it’s great to hear that this new course will be helpful for you and your organization. I hope you'll enjoy this course once it launches in a few months!

@dancy hI Dancy sure. Thanks indeed.

Yes, it will indeed be helpful. Thanks a lot.

• I am also looking forward to see free courses on this website on 1-USAID Rules & Regulations. 2-Effective Proposal Writing in Development Sector.3-Grant Management & Cooperative Agreements.4- PMP

@Edmikey Hi Michael, thanks for your response! I would like to understand your strategy and your organization more. What do you mean by “TBA”? What was the problem that you saw, that led you to create the Ward District Committee? How did you get buy-in from so many different groups - youths, women, and the chief of the community - to join? What has been the result of this new WDC group - how that has addressed your previous problem and helped your organization succeed? Thanks so much for your help!

@dancy My Organisation is Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria (NEPWHAN). Our organization basically coordinate the HIV/AIDS patient community in term of care and support services which include mobilizing and linking of HIV/AIDS client to treatment, organizing community response through support groups, adherence counseling, mobilizing positive women for PMTCT. There was problem of low turnout in accessing treatment by Positives mothers in some communities, we did our findings and we discovered that one of the factors are; due to distance to hospital facilities from the communities, poor awareness of PMTCT in the communities. So we came up with this strategies to create Ward District communities and selected opinion leaders from all groups, we Identified Traditional Birth Attendance (TBAs) in the communities train them on some basic PMTCT services, and referrals. so The TBAs serve as a hub to the facilities and refer mothers after delivery to facilities, after administering the first Neverapine to the child. The facility referred to continue with further treatment and Early Infant diagnosis. At the end of the first year there was increase in treatment access to mothers living with HIV in the facilities through information dissemination by the WDC members and referrals from TBAs. But since it was a donor funded project under community System strengthening(CSS) of the Global Fund. The project could not be sustained when Global Stopped funding athat component.

1 Reply
  • Guys can we form a WhatsApp group?

M
    B
    M
    4 Replies
  • @MikeMaundu said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Guys can we form a WhatsApp group?

Definitely, I think that's a good idea. My number is 0905 827 2540.

M
    1 Reply
  • @Edmikey Hi Michael, wow that's awesome! When you saw your problem of low turnout, how did you go about doing your "findings"? How did you engage your stakeholders to understand the problem and come up with a solution that worked for them? Thanks!

• yes you can form and add us. 0728941450

• @Boniface_Ngomwa said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

Hello, my name is boniface Ngomwa. Our organisation deals with poor waste management in zomba city in Malawi. Involvement of stake holders is at the core of the organisation. These include the people that our initiative targets in the communities. These, we meet through organised meetings at the village headmans place or through door to door meetings. Other prominent people include the city council and other equally inportant people. These we organise meetings as well with those heading the organisations. One meeting that was successful was with the district health officer and his team in which we discussed the way forward of our organisation. This was made possible through various consultations and communication. Failure to communicate well however led to a failure of another meeting scheduled with the village head.

@Boniface_Ngomwa said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

Hello Dancy am Dorothy from Kenya. Our stakeholders engagement begins from mapping the different stakeholders and focus on the best entry point for the different stakeholders. We conduct clinical and behavioural research hence we must seek approval from Ethics committees followed by government authorities both administrative and medical. Key advantage we have for our studies is the community strategy approach as we have health Volunteers manning the household, and able to give us feedback with regards to rumours, myths and misconceptions etc.
    Our engagement is also continuous as we address stakeholders issues as they arise and also give feedback on the outcome of our findings.
    Another important aspect is packaging information as per the stakeholder category, so as not to create a rift among the many stakeholders.

• @MikeMaundu said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

S
    O
    2 Replies
  • @Bafo said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@MikeMaundu said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

That's a wonderful idea...please add me up... 08037517074****

• Please add me. +2348069014706 Nigeria

A
    1 Reply
  • @Enoabasi1 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Please add me. +2348069014706 Nigeria

add me as well +2348161330774

• Add me as well please, 09097123692. Cynthia

• Add me as well please, 09097123692. Cynthia

• Fantastic hope we are all very ready add me as well on the whats app +252616358669. Thanks

• Please add me
    Whatsaap No.923115006764
    Name:Shazia Parveen

• please add me to the whatsapp 08032068998 Nigeria

• please add me to the group 08071423002

• Add me up +2567044338044
    Uganda

Hello @all !

My strategy for engaging stakeholders is to have a business plan with clear vision and mission statement of any particular project or program in view.
    My internal staff will brainstorm with this plan to see what is needed to pursue and execute it.
    Arising from there we'll meet with external stakeholders of different types whose effort, contributions and collaboration will positively impact our assignments.
    The key to developing an impact engagement strategy is to have a functional system that can naturally help you to assemble, participate, discuss, collaborate, share, and receive detailed information according to the need and necessity of each individual stakeholder such as a "meeting app".
    This app will be used to bring in the various stakeholders together and also effectively keep them updated with groups activities.
    Personally, I use the Wix App to do this.

My example of where it has worked is when I used my wix app to publish a new business project seeking to teach people a certain skill and people responded by downloading the app and from there we were able to work cohesively to achieve our desired objectives.

Where it didn't work was like when I was going about asking to meet people to go with me on some project and it wasn't easy bringing our acts together because there was no system to use then.

The lesson I learnt from both is that I must have a business plan in place and use a software organisational development app to harness the outcome.

Stakeholder engagement and feedback has led to a pivotal change in my organisational growth because our own is to conceive an idea for community development and it will take the effort and participation of others to make sure the vision lives and thrive.
    So our ability to reach out to as many stakeholders as possible using the very best systems matters to how far we can go in delivering our goals correctly.

L
    S
    2 Replies
  • @AgrikMasters said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

My strategy for engaging stakeholders is to have a business plan with clear vision and mission statement of any particular project or program in view.
    My internal staff will brainstorm with this plan to see what is needed to pursue and execute it.
    Arising from there we'll meet with external stakeholders of different types whose effort, contributions and collaboration will positively impact our assignments.
    The key to developing an impact engagement strategy is to have a functional system that can naturally help you to assemble, participate, discuss, collaborate, share, and receive detailed information according to the need and necessity of each individual stakeholder such as a "meeting app".
    This app will be used to bring in the various stakeholders together and also effectively keep them updated with groups activities.
    Personally, I use the Wix App to do this.

My example of where it has worked is when I used my wix app to publish a new business project seeking to teach people a certain skill and people responded by downloading the app and from there we were able to work cohesively to achieve our desired objectives.

Where it didn't work was like when I was going about asking to meet people to go with me on some project and it wasn't easy bringing our acts together because there was no system to use then.

The lesson I learnt from both is that I must have a business plan in place and use a software organisational development app to harness the outcome.

Stakeholder engagement and feedback has led to a pivotal change in my organisational growth because our own is to conceive an idea for community development and it will take the effort and participation of others to make sure the vision lives and thrive.
    So our ability to reach out to as many stakeholders as possible using the very best systems matters to how far we can go in delivering our goals correctly.

Hi! I am from Pakistan. Please add me my WhatsApp number is 03327313936.

• I think this is incredible in engaging stakeholders, a clear vision and mission will bring about a cohesive directional movement and action plan.

I will want to be added to the whatsapp community +2348164388707

• Please add me 00967734626246

• Please add me +254707619836

• My whatsapp 01150938614318

• Yes please do add me +237674050601
    Thanks for the initiative

• Please add me +2348065759229

1 Reply
  • Its an honor to join this platform. Please add me to the WhatsApp group, +255787670714 (Ismail from Tanzania).

• Dike Mbah Joseph from Nigeria. I'm good for the course

• +2347064801919 add me to the forum
    Dike Mbah Joseph

• All emails from Philanthropy University enter at my Clutter inbox. Does this mean I will never have access to the new Stakeholders Engagement Course? #DrNgcungama

• Please add me 08113522922

• @Joseph88 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Please add me +2348065759

@Bafo said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

Hello. Add me too +243977006474

• Please add me.. +237683752403
    Meghan from Cameroon

• Please add me up. 08150771859. Grace from Nigeria.

• Please add me up. 08150771859. Grace from Nigeria.

• My Whatsapp Number: +9779804893618

• My WhatsApp number
    +231775595793

• @Christy75 said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

Hello @all !

Hi, my name is Cristina. The strategy we usually do in our coalition with civil society organizations (CSO) to engage stakeholders is first we identify the CSOs that we may consider as a stakeholder for a certain issue although generally, most CSOs in our city are automatic stakeholders already. The invitation may be done through SMS messaging, chat and sometimes we call them if we have a direct contact already of a particular CSO. In the invitation alone, we already inform the purpose of the meeting and the issue concerning our locality that we need to address immediately. The meeting in itself is crucial because it is in there where we develop impactful engagement strategies to address an issue concerning our city. It is in the meeting wherein every CSO gets to contribute a strategy, resources and including information that may be helpful in addressing the issue.
    One example of stakeholder engagement was last 2017 when our coalition group campaigned against the lowering of Minimum Age of Criminal Responsibility (MACR) from 15 years old to 9. We invited all of the CSOs that we considered as stakeholders and given all the information concerning the issue in the meeting, it had been decided to launch an information campaign about MACR Law and Child Development together with a 1M signature campaign against lowering of MACR involving the churches in our city. Actually, there were similar campaigns in the country but it was only in our city that had the participation of different churches and hit the 1M and more signature campaign.
    We were only unsuccessful with the same issue just this year because our country’s present administration already passed the law in Congress without consultation and immediately in the Senate.

Hi Dancy, When we were deciding how to launch the 1M signature campaign against the lowering of MACR, we have identified the places where most people would gather and the churches were one of them. Since Filipinos are very religious people, we are already aware that the most number of people would be found in the churches. So, we identified the churches of different faith in our city that we can approach. While doing the tasking, we have identified as well point persons who can approach the leaders of the churches for the approval to conduct a 1M signature campaign in their church. The point persons are also members of the identified churches. With this sharing, you would also notice that culture and beliefs matter for an impactful engagement strategy.

• This will be a good and important course for project management participants since the will get to understand different stakeholders view the success of a project depending on their interest and perception.

• @Bafo said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

Please add me too +263771330988 Orlianda

L
    2 Replies
  • @Orlianda said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

Please add me +9779851247650 Paul Joydhar

L
    P
    2 Replies
  • @pauljoydhar said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Orlianda said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

Please add me +9779851247650 Paul Joydhar

Please add me as well +231880448248
    Lorine A. Saizonou

• @Orlianda said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

pls add me 00237675830808

N
    1 Reply
  • @Limunga said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

@Orlianda said in New Stakeholders Engagement Course - need your feedback!:

0823872458 Mfana

pls add me 00237675830808
    Add me 0753745923 from Tanzania

G
    2 Replies
  • Add me from Tanzania 0753745923

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.