Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• @Chiefdipoko said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

one of the greatest challenge in team work or working with others is when some fellow workers can become very unbearable or uncooperative. Sometimes many employees will choose to walk away from the team, and prefer to go alone. I think i found some great resources that suggest how to manage such crisis in the organization. I have been on this now for the past 18 years in my organization, and i can tell you it works...

in my opinion, Team in a work place is very important but when fellow workers became very unbearable or you might have out grown some of your leaders or team members, you have to make the right decision even it is to cut the tie between them. remember what you do now determines your capacity for growth

• @kamilla said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Chiefdipoko said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

one of the greatest challenge in team work or working with others is when some fellow workers can become very unbearable or uncooperative. Sometimes many employees will choose to walk away from the team, and prefer to go alone. I think i found some great resources that suggest how to manage such crisis in the organization. I have been on this now for the past 18 years in my organization, and i can tell you it works...

Hi @Chiefdipoko, thanks for posting your question to the group. It is a great question and I think we have all faced challenges when trying to deal with an uncooperative colleague.

For me I think it's important to identify shared values and work to align around them as a group. From there I think it's important to be very clear about the consequences of not upholding the values and if the situation occurs you have to follow-up with the consequences you outlined.

It can be very challenging and uncomfortable to set boundaries and talk about expectations but I think the whole team will feel better supported knowing that if one person doesn't uphold expectations they will face consequence. Of course sometimes things happen and people have bigger things going on in life, so it's important to have empathy. BUT a person that is being difficult consistently might just be undermining the success of your team and/or project.

What do you think?

Does anyone @all have a perspective to share?

Hello everybody,
    Good point to learn on how to deal with an uncooperative colleague, I have been confronting the same situation several times, and it is really hard to manage people in this side of the World, as a manager you always have to do the others' work to complete tasks. So good to know yours' approaches!

• "Uncooperative colleague" this rather sound uncomfortable, in my case i will try to understand the reasons and factors that are making my colleague uncooperative and find the middle ground for us to work this out,their is nothing as uncooperative colleague it all depends on your point of view

• It is super ironic to be in a thread about this right now because I am literally facing security consequences because of an uncooperative former colleague right now.

I think a lot of us in the humanitarian field have ideals about being able to build buy-in from and finding a way to work with anyone. But having been a practitioner for this long, I think it's also incredibly important for us to recognize that this has a cost. Yes, you can do it. But you have to always measure the amount of time and energy (not to mention impact on group morale) it will take to go through this with an unwilling/unmotivated partner. We all have a responsibility to our missions, and sometimes --even though it might not feel good-- we need to cut ties and drop dead weight off of our teams and find someone else who will be enthusiastic about delivering results rather than weighing everyone down on the way.

On top of that, I know this sounds harsh, but A Players do not like being on a team with B Players. Someone who is lackadaisical about delivering results or unmotivated by the mission will ultimately bring the team down.

• @Mcfurtherin said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@PAchukwu said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Xxl said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Let's start from the foundation of the team, each individual has a role to pal in the team. They should be ground rules and regulations, at the same time the is a penalty for each. They shouldn't be any favoritism. When this is put in place, the members won't misbehave. No body is an island of knowledge and no one is above mistake. The leader of the team should learn or be able to address the team without any provocative words. Respect is reciprocal. Any member who default should be penalize accordingly.
    When a member is not doing well, is also for the team to try n guide the person well. A team is like a family. Therefore if the person doesn't want to abide by the team, you have to let the person go, because no one is above the team.

In dishing out penalties we should first understand that every team must go through the 4 stages ( Forming, STORMING, Norming & Performing). If we start with penalties and letting members go before the Norming stage it would be difficult to get a performing team.

I learned Strategic Management and I was taught that T.E.A.M. is an acronym for "Together, Everybody Achieves Much". In selecting members of a team, compatibility of members should be carefully considered. You can't have more hot-headed people or just talkers but no leaders in a team.

@Mcfurtherin said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Let's start from the foundation of the team, each individual has a role to pal in the team. They should be ground rules and regulations, at the same time the is a penalty for each. They shouldn't be any favoritism. When this is put in place, the members won't misbehave. No body is an island of knowledge and no one is above mistake. The leader of the team should learn or be able to address the team without any provocative words. Respect is reciprocal. Any member who default should be penalize accordingly.
    When a member is not doing well, is also for the team to try n guide the person well. A team is like a family. Therefore if the person doesn't want to abide by the team, you have to let the person go, because no one is above the team.

In dishing out penalties we should first understand that every team must go through the 4 stages ( Forming, STORMING, Norming & Performing). If we start with penalties and letting members go before the Norming stage it would be difficult to get a performing team.

I learned Strategic Management and I was taught that T.E.A.M. is an acronym for "Together, Everybody Achieves Much". In selecting members of a team, compatibility of members should be carefully considered. You can't have more hot-headed people or just talkers but no leaders in a team.

Very right

A
    O
    2 Replies
  • A Team is a group of people coming/ working together to achieve a common goal. If a team mate is non responsive the first thing is to identity the problem heir she might be experiencing and f possible help find a solution, also not forgetting the main issue at a hand is the team's project. Let that person understand how vital their presence and contribution is to the group. .

• Perhaps working with team members who we sometimes refer as difficult can actually be a set back for a team, but here is a few questions we must ask ourselves, do we share the same values and vision as a team?. How well do we know our team members, is there something else we can do to make our team members to become responsive?.
    Now if we do not share the same values and vision as a team it's high time we got back to the drawing board and make it right and if we do share in the same values and vision of the organisation then we need to make sure we constantly remind and allign ourselves to organisations vision.
    How well do you know your team members? We should be able to foster growth by looking at the strength of team members inrespective to the fact that we all have our weaknesses.
    What are those things that we can do to make our team members responsive and productive? We should encourage our team members, we should include them in task that harness their strengths,a show of concern and appreciate can go a long way.

• For me, I will ask the colleague some questions as to why he/she is uncooperative. If its something we can handle, then, we will deal with it together but if its not something we can handle then, I will let him/her be and do the Job myself but I won't hesitate to inform the management of his behavior.

• Interesting topic.

there are some people who may prefer not to deal with an uncooperative team member and may think its better to step in and take up the extra role not being fulfilled. However, this may end up weighing you down or leaving you burnt out because of trying to do everything. My two cents on this is from the onset, it is very important to ensure everyone on the team is on the same page by setting down clear goals, targets and roles. This way everyone is clear on what they need to do. This helps in dealing with an uncooperative member while confronting them on their slacking as you have the backing of facts of where they are not performing. And it also provides a clear guideline for the person taking over the role in the event you have to let someone go.

• I think it's very important that team members are all on the same page to meet organization's objectives. What I find is that when team members are uncooperative, it's usually because of personal issues with the job or the individuals they are interacting with. While they may understand the objectives and are trying to work towards them many team members tend to forget how to be "professional" and focus on the task at hand.
    When dealing with an uncooperative team member I usually try to seek intervention from a third party to identify what the real problems are (as it could also be me) and then we work to settle in a manner that ensures we all work together to meet objectives.

• It is of no doubt that you will definitely have colleagues around you who will not cooperate but

1. Understand their challenges and try to help them balance it in line with your team objectives.

2. Some do not cooperate because they are the type that work best alone. In this situation, I think they should be given more task ahead of others (I mean task that can sap their strength).. This way he/she will have no choice but to seek his teammates for assistance.

3. Check out their core strength and weakness. There are some people who do not cooperate in a team because they feel they don't have the speed and capacity to meet up with the others. hence, they tend to pull back or pull out of responsibilities.

• Certainly, understanding individual differences is very important in team work because some are lazy, some are slow learners while some have to be forced and coerced before they can do better.

• First and foremost try and find out the reasons why this staff is uncooperative. Then try and address such reason by talking to him/her one on one.

Since we re working with people with different trait and experiences we must tolerate any divergent views perhaps we must define clear functions and responsibilities. Again if the crisis emerge we dealing with must e done in genuine consensus building or arbitrary settlement.

• @Aretha said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Very right

In every organization or setting we have people with diverse skills, attitudes and behaviour - everyone having strength in a particular area and weakness in another. Team work enable us channel together positive energy/strength of each team member in achieving specific goal(s). However, it's not out of place to encounter a team member who is uncooperative. There are certain steps I think that can be put in place to ensure that the unbearable attitudes of any team member does not get in the way of team members goal/target. Consider the following;

1. In setting up the team, the team leader should be experienced in managing both the tasks and team members.
    2. The team leader should identify the values that are core to the accomplishment of the goals and set the team rules; leave space for members personal behavior or attitudes which, though, may be disliked but have no negative impacts on goal accomplishment(s).
    3. Create a system to evaluate/appraise team members after the task(s) is/are done and empowering the team leader to evaluate the input of each member. If an outcome of this exercise is an input to employees career progression/development, it will give the right authority to the team leader to have a better control.
      In summary, I think team members should be much more focused and concerned on the achievement of set goals and this will minimize the effect of uncooperative team member as adjustments can be made to see that goal(s) is/are achieved, and timely too.

Hi @Chiefdipoko, thanks for posting your question to the group. It is a great question and I think we have all faced challenges when trying to deal with an uncooperative colleague.

For me I think it's important to identify shared values and work to align around them as a group. From there I think it's important to be very clear about the consequences of not upholding the values and if the situation occurs you have to follow-up with the consequences you outlined.

It can be very challenging and uncomfortable to set boundaries and talk about expectations but I think the whole team will feel better supported knowing that if one person doesn't uphold expectations they will face consequence. Of course sometimes things happen and people have bigger things going on in life, so it's important to have empathy. BUT a person that is being difficult consistently might just be undermining the success of your team and/or project.

What do you think?

Competition is part of the factors that depreciate the value of a team. The best way for a team to be progressive is to complete one another rather than competing.

• @Undisputed said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@kamilla сказал в разделе « Как бороться с неработающим коллегой» :

@Chiefdipoko сказал в « Как бороться с некомпетентным коллегой» :

Одна из самых больших проблем в командной работе или работе с другими - это когда некоторые коллеги могут стать очень невыносимыми или отказываться от сотрудничества. Иногда многие сотрудники предпочитают уходить из команды и предпочитают уходить в одиночку. Я думаю, что нашел некоторые большие ресурсы, которые предлагают, как справиться с таким кризисом в организации. Я занимаюсь этим уже 18 лет в своей организации, и могу сказать, что это работает ...

Привет @Chiefdipoko , спасибо за размещение вашего вопроса в группе. Это отличный вопрос, и я думаю, что мы все столкнулись с трудностями, когда пытались иметь дело с неработающим коллегой.
    Для меня я думаю, что важно определить общие ценности и работать, чтобы выровнять их как группу. Оттуда я думаю, что очень важно четко понимать последствия несоблюдения ценностей, и в случае возникновения ситуации вы должны следить за последствиями, которые вы изложили.
    Может быть очень сложно и неудобно устанавливать границы и говорить об ожиданиях, но я думаю, что вся команда будет чувствовать себя лучше, поддерживая ее, зная, что если один человек не оправдает ожидания, он столкнется с последствиями. Конечно, иногда что-то происходит, и в жизни людей происходит нечто большее, поэтому важно иметь сочувствие. НО человек, который постоянно испытывает трудности, может просто подорвать успех вашей команды и / или проекта.
    Как вы думаете?
    Кто-нибудь @all имеет перспективу поделиться?

Конкуренция является частью факторов, которые снижают ценность команды. Лучший способ для ко

In teamwork, it is important to develop a common goal. It is also important that everyone in the team understands the importance of the common cause and how much he is willing to work and give everything for the common goal. I think that team building is the most difficult thing in any business.

Very true. Had similar experience. Some team members tend to be dominating while others could feel intimidated or less important. How to strike the balance and achieve the goal of the team remain the key underlining challenge.

• Putting together the project team is a vital part of making a project successful. Without the right people in place, the project will not go very far. You need to spend the correct amount of time at the beginning of the project reviewing the team and determining who belongs and who does not—and those are not easy decisions. You need to have a solid management plan in place in order to staff the project correctly. It will not happen overnight—and you need to be willing to make those tough decisions for the benefit of the project.

• I will like to.

Very remarkable. One of the ways to handle the challenge is to set rules of engagement.

My point of view, first of all the organization/Employer should put in place core competencies for their employees that encourage the teamwork, for example striving for excellence, collaboration, taking the lead..etc in which the team member will apply and be part of the performance evaluation.
    This may reduce possibility of uncooperative worker, simply because it will affect the staff's overall performance.
    Another solution is teamwork must be part of the organization's value that hold up every and each staff member in the organization. This increases the potentiality of teamwork among co-workers.
    Wish you all the best.

• Hello @Chiefdipoko and @kamilla . For sure it is not easy to work with uncooperative colleague. for me I think many things should be considered before judgging a colleague. at times some people can be going through tough times you know. some equally might be demotivated and just need a word of encouragement to restart over. Furthermore people might be going through private issues and it affects them at work. one thing to do is to try and talk over with the colleague and make him understand the negative impact of him/her being uncooperative to the organisation. At times the person is not even aware of the fact that he/she is uncooperative.

first of all, my answer to this question is another which is "what is making a team member uncooperative and unbearable. This question can easily lead to a solution to the problem by letting you identify what is wrong. Secondly, how does the team operate; does it have a structure and how does it operate etc. I will end by saying accepting and acknowledging diversity within a team will enhance cooperation.

• @PAchukwu said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

I think, in order to minimize such behavior among the colleagues it to have clear boundaries in working together, like a contract of working together. Those boundaries need to be clear and that everyone feels comfortable with.

I think uncooperative colleague behavior can really affect the team spirit. But let us not forget some many be uncooperative because the are shy staying or working in midst of groups. For me,such a colleague should be made to led or coordinate a group which will make them responsible. When responsibility is placed on such an uncooperative colleague he/she will not want to fail.

• Quite interesting and i agree on putting the teamate who isnt cooperating to lead the team. It will go a long way in boosting confidence. Thank you

P
    1 Reply
  • @kamilla

Hi Kamilla,

I can't submit my worksheets since module 3. I thought the dead line was 11th of March. Please could you advice? thank you

M
    1 Reply
  • @Pineda said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@kamilla

Hi Kamilla,

I can't submit my worksheets since module 3. I thought the dead line was 11th of March. Please could you advice? thank you

Hiya frd, u need to download it first and then you convert to pdf then you answer it .. then u can upload it easily

I
    1 Reply
  • Hi guys! Its wonderful to learn from different point of views and perspectives. Personally for me, some, but not all uncooperative people are shy to interact. I think the best way is for them to lead or co - lead an activity or some sort of project depending on that person's strength and weaknesses. Giving them responsibility can boost up their morale at work and discover for themselves qualities that they thought they didn't possess like being a great team leader or having a great skill in delegating work loads.

• @Meiz said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Pineda said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@kamilla

Hi Kamilla, which worksheet? I don't understand.

Hiya frd, u need to download it first and then you convert to pdf then you answer it .. then u can upload it easily

• @Liba said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Quite interesting and i agree on putting the teamate who isnt cooperating to lead the team. It will go a long way in boosting confidence. Thank you

Yes, Sometimes it helps. I have tried in some situation it works. But that also depend on the projects you are working on and the exprience of the un-cooperating member of the team

What do you think?

We all have different and varying personalities. Some individuals find it difficult to work as a team because of their personality

• So much have been said already about how to work with an uncooperative colleague but I just want to add that love and tolerance is also important in managing our relationship with colleagues. Almost everyone respond to love.

• let me just go straight to question ,some team members like being good to the boss even if it means sacrificing the other through false finding issues ,many at time they dont follow the teams path they decide to go it alone which is not very healthy for team to thrive ,some end up lifting a load that is very heavy ,its good to practice acronym TEAM to help the change or organize for team building forums where they can learn more

• Being uncooperative on the part of an employee could be as a result of several varied reasons and depending on the reasons, the employees should be given a listening ear so as to get exactly where the issue lies, and if it is something that can be solved through discussion then the supervisors or the person in charge should have a discussion. Some issues such as work or home related problems, behavior- or health-related issues can have an impact on employees behavior and generally how they relate and perform. In case it can be solved, there should be set consequences if things don't change.

• Nice topic and lovely contributions so far. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, some teammates are just bent on not been useful to the team. I think it takes personal responsibility, no matured worker needs to be pushed around to contribute a meaningful quota to the success of the organisation. In most cases, I believe uncooperative members lack the zeal to work or just not proactive until when pushed.

• Thing is, it is very important to set the rules and make known certain measures for whosoever breaks such. Though, it is a hardliner position to take when we set rules and execute measures for defaulters. But then, we push come to shoves, it is very needed to restore sanity must especially for uncooperative and unbearable individuals whose mission sometimes are geared towards sabotage within a group tasked with responsibilities. Now, from my experience as a course ambassador on "Girl Centered Design" since inception, i have learned to listen to people's plight, issues and priorities so as to solve them around their frame of circumstances and viewpoints since a problem is better solved when the victims tells their own story. Now, here is the point, if i were to be the group leader and i come across an uncooperative fellow, my first approach is to channel my resources to listening while trying to come around with certain terms of engagements. Now, if after listening, i noticed that this fellow is just been a wolf crier, then the rules must be executed on such defaulters and it will be made known to the entire team. That simple. Now, the logic model is this, first identify the fellow, secondly, learn to listen and be holistic about the process. If he has a point been uncooperative, then we fix it, however, if it's a case of clear sabotage, the rules must be adhered to by way of executing strident measures. @kamilla

R
    1 Reply
  • @Dickson said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Thing is, it is very important to set the rules and make known certain measures for whosoever breaks such. Though, it is a hardliner position to take when we set rules and execute measures for defaulters. But then, we push come to shoves, it is very needed to restore sanity must especially for uncooperative and unbearable individuals whose mission sometimes are geared towards sabotage within a group tasked with responsibilities. Now, from my experience as a course ambassador on "Girl Centered Design" since inception, i have learned to listen to people's plight, issues and priorities so as to solve them around their frame of circumstances and viewpoints since a problem is better solved when the victims tells their own story. Now, here is the point, if i were to be the group leader and i come across an uncooperative fellow, my first approach is to channel my resources to listening while trying to come around with certain terms of engagements. Now, if after listening, i noticed that this fellow is just been a wolf crier, then the rules must be executed on such defaulters and it will be made known to the entire team. That simple. Now, the logic model is this, first identify the fellow, secondly, learn to listen and be holistic about the process. If he has a point been uncooperative, then we fix it, however, if it's a case of clear sabotage, the rules must be adhered to by way of executing strident measures. @kamilla

A great and feasible way of dealing with an uncooperative person. The two steps you mentioned are just a foot-in-the-door to achieving a buoyant result. If the person does not express any genuine reasons for being hostile and uncooperative, the rules must be applied as a sign to everyone else.

• A lot happened in my absence, I didn't know there has been such an interactive discussion among the team members. I have just cross read but I'll go in deep for me to know what is the problem to be discussed.

• Hello guys,

Its daisy here . I am happy to join the conversation. So unto the topic mmmhhhh "how to deal with an uncooperative colleague".

In my opinion i would no try to get this person to change in any way , as this gives him/her power over the situation. This will not improve any of us as nothing will get done to remedy the situation if they feel they have all the power. All i need to do is to step back re-collect my thoughts and come up with a solution that will work for the both us.

Lastly i would avoid putting the blame on that colleague. I would talk to my immediate manager for solutions in case i am over whelmed by the situation.

• I was once put in a group assignment with 2 of my colleagues that were always absent during and their absentism really affected our communication towards the assignment. I had a talk to my lecturer concerning the matter she told me "as the group leader, I had to do what it takes to get the assignment done." I was wondering how am I supposed to get my teammates to attend classes so that we could talk about it, then I figured out that I do not personally know them so I created a group chat and I got to know on a personal basis and became best friends and got the assignment done in time. Long story short, you have to know the kind of people you're dealing with, some people are going through some hard time, one of you need to put extra work in order for the team to work out, I'm not saying do the whole thing on your own but just a little sacrifice for your sake.

• Hi everyone.
    So in response to the question, working or having to do something with someone who is not co-operative can be boring, annoying and even cause you to think that you have nothing to offer. In this kind of case, I would first of all try to understand this individual's personality, the reason for such behaviour. Some individuals are reserved, talkless, and on the quiet side and some people don't even have enough confidence to work in a team as a result of (low-self esteem) they can't really be themselves around other people. Finding a solution to it is the next step to take, whether you are the leader of the team ( puts you in a better position to handle the issue) or whether you are a member of the group, further actions can be taken too. People deal with this kinds of people everyday and have not really figured out a way to go about it, some quarrel and insults themselves and still the matter hasn't been resolved. This is a very good topic for discussion.
    Thank you.

• @Mutasa said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

I have worked in team environments and have learnt that each time work is involving team work there is need for team building courses to be undertaken by team members. These courses helps to identify team members different roles so that they can be effectively be used on the project. No member is useless or incompetent, it's just that we give them roles they are not fit for. Understanding team roles is very important in any team set up.
    Totally agree. Some team workers are not qualified enough, but they are not useless. If somebody in your team dont cope with their working duties, just help him. It’s valuable to have a friendly environment, to help each other to cope with the most difficult complicated tasks.

• I have worked in teams regarding projects and presentations and have faced many members not working as hard as some of us did even after divinding the parts to make it more easier and also to assign each memeber to do some part buf dealing with such uncooperative people is difficult as they dont put that much effort so to deal with this issue all members should disscuss together how they will work and what will they work for, abd help eachother to bring emprovements.

I
    1 Reply
  • @Hamda25 thank you for sharing your experiences. I am also having a hard time to find a team to finish off my module in 'Fundraising: Connecting with Donors.'I would really appreciate if anyone will be willing to chat with me to get this module thru. I am on skype timoawa or watsapp +675 72999395.
    Cheers! Tim

• Hi my name is Michael.
    From my own experience, most uncooperative and unbearable colleagues could be self centered. They are yet to understand the import of being in a team. That's the values of the team should be taught and well spelt out. The team is not about an individual. Most people who behave in that manner dont have experience working in a team. They've always been lone rangers. I will suggest that their strengths be focused on by the team leader.
    Assign a responsibility relating to the colleagues strength and make provision for positively reinforcing positive results for that person and everyone in the team for results from the tasks given to them.
    Yes i also agree with the need for some form of corporate punishment or disciplinary measures for deliberately putting the team at risk of failure or unproductive projects.

• Course Facilitator

I agree with you, self-centeredness is at the heart of uncooperative colleagues. When we see the success as the success of all, then we will work for the good of all.

• @Hamda25 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

I have worked in teams regarding projects and presentations and have faced many members not working as hard as some of us did even after divinding the parts to make it more easier and also to assign each memeber to do some part buf dealing with such uncooperative people is difficult as they dont put that much effort so to deal with this issue all members should disscuss together how they will work and what will they work for, abd help eachother to bring emprovements.

I work in an organization and i experience such, i have some of my one of my colleges that is uncooperative person,
    What i notices is the some times it is the way of life.

A
    1 Reply
  • @Ikennagabriel said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Hamda25 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

I have worked in teams regarding projects and presentations and have faced many members not working as hard as some of us did even after divinding the parts to make it more easier and also to assign each memeber to do some part buf dealing with such uncooperative people is difficult as they dont put that much effort so to deal with this issue all members should disscuss together how they will work and what will they work for, abd help eachother to bring emprovements.

I work in an organization and i experience such, i have some of my one of my colleges that is uncooperative person,
    I wanna agree with you and this part of your finding is indeed ill factor to time and resources. I prefer Team work all together and of course I must grow to be independent why on duty as well.

• @Ikennagabriel said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Hamda25 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

I wanna agree with you and this part of your finding is indeed ill factor to time and resources. I prefer Team work all together and of course I must grow to be independent why on duty as well.

• Hi, even though my reply is coming late,I want you to be encouraged we are all cut out differently but most people want things to work out perfectly. Some people like working under pressure while other want to work afore time every one should go with what best suit them. Thank you.

• An uncooperative colleague can be very challenging and frustrating however i believe there is a reason behind every human attitude. If I am in such circumstance i will see the positive of the colleague and also study him/her to know why she is not cooperating. Then i have a conversation with such colleague

• Why not check previous activities of a person to determine and understand why a colleague is uncooperative.. has he or she always been like that?

• @Aretha said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Very right

Great

• we are all different so it means one time or the other colleagues do collide what solves the issue is understanding that we are employed to serve irrespective of what position you hold we are there to meet the set goals of the organization

• Every individual in the team have different potentials, so you just have to let the uncooperative individual to sort out his/or her problem with regards to a certain task but just ask if He needs help politely. If still uncooperative just respect his/her demeanor and continue the task, in the long run it is the Team effort will set the mark.

• May be the communication/internet is the problem for the uncooperative colleagues.

• Hello Am GAYFLOR From Liberia.
    Just got enrolled in this prestigious institution.I will need help in forming a team, and also how to go about with other activities.hope to get that assistance ASAP

N
    1 Reply
  • @0707926408 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

May be the communication/internet is the problem for the uncooperative colleagues.

Hello I had a problem with internet but it's now solved

1 Reply
  • @Kilai said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@0707926408 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

May be the communication/internet is the problem for the uncooperative colleagues.

Ok

K
    1 Reply
  • @42 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Hello Am GAYFLOR From Liberia.
    Just got enrolled in this prestigious institution.I will need help in forming a team, and also how to go about with other activities.hope to get that assistance ASAP

@gayflor we can always assist as team members

• Good day all, Nurudeen from Nigeria, I head a department and at top management, the team leader chooses who he wants to work with, because of tribal and religious sentiments, and this has impediment to my work, at times vital information slip off me. How do I react when l am denied vital information that is needed for my job to keep running smoothly?

• On the topic before us on how to deal with uncooperative members is a very vital topic. Currently am working with a group of young men in a project and at the beginning it was a challenge to work as a team. I had a meeting with them and realized what will move us to work as a team is ensuring each member of the group is well appreciated and owns the project.In addition for team to work properly each member needs to be respected. It is also important to listen to the views of each member.

• Hello my name is Ponipate, just got enrolled and still finding my way around

• Hello my name is Aditi from India.
    Just finished with my studies and wanted to pursue something I wanted to.

• hi im robert from kenya.

uncooperative colleaque brings a down fall is as far as team meant. because if all workers are working with one objective such that their aim is to see the progress its easy to be successful. the first thing to be done is to call a person and ask him how he is working different to the team, who is working like that, what is the main intention for doing that. this will help to figure out other issues that has lead to uncooperative situation.. this will help the team leader to identify some ther weakness within the organisation that are affecting the operation. so appraisal form nned to be administered to the team to understand the cause of the challenges being used.

• they can be dealt by bringing them to the appraisal committee under operations department if its the project the supervisor has the right to call the colleague and find out more f what is being done at the end more challenges will come up and will be easily sorted out. so to achieve this the self appraisals needs to intensified in an organisation

• I think conflicts in a teamwork is inevitable. to deal with inbeaeable an uncooperative members, it takes the sense of understanding and skills to engage them in a constructive communication. as far as im concerned, communication has been playing a big role in conflict management. it is important to get an explanation why the members work in an uncooperative manners. having known the problems, the next step is to negotiate two-way negotiations what best solutions can be taken both from the uncooperative members and from the board. when negotiation can't be reached that final option can be taken, that is to replace the unccoperative members.

• @Matino said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Kilai said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@0707926408 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Ok

• Hi, its very difficult and painful to have to deal with an uncooperative colleague especially if your own vision of the project is true and unselfish. I only have experience of this with volunteers. Most of my international volunteers are great but occasionally I get one or two that are uncooperative, critical and sometimes downright lazy. I assess the situation and try to see if there are activities that they like doing more than others and try to tweak their schedule so that they can feel more confident/comfortable etc with what they are doing. If this doesn't work, I talk to them directly to see if there is anything that they feel uncomfortable about that I am not seeing. To be honest, if they really are not on board and especially if they are interfering with other volunteers' good work, I ask them to leave. My project is looking after and rehabilitating wildlife to go back into the wild and if a person is not able to be unselfish and see the bigger picture and be prepared to do whatever it takes even with menial jobs (we all do them, even me the founder!), then it is detrimental to the team to have someone who is not pulling their weight. It is better they go somewhere else if they are not happy.

• My experience with uncooperative colleague i would like to discuss about the possible causes an how I was able to over come it.

CAUSES:

• Role conflict among colleagues

• Lack of capacity to handle task

• Weak/ no staff appriasal and or performance contracts

• Lack of resources to conduct task

• poor or no dispute resolution system and demotivating

• Poor communication and weak interpersonal relationship.

The way forward is to have a robust human resources plan with a functional M&E system that is reponsive to the above CAUDES and align the them to the oganidational goals.

• @Chiefdipoko how do you handle the situation if the uncooperative colleague is the HRM?

• hello evryone i am Dan Ruto from kenya i hope we will get along well despite the internet challanges that hinder me here. regards

O
    1 Reply
  • I think that they should be called to order through love and reminded of the organization believe in them to take ownership. If a colleague refuses to own the vision it become very stressful working with such person.

• I think we should stay calm and should focus on our work to give our best though we should deal with patience & kindness to encourage an uncooperative member .

• @DanRuto said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

hello evryone i am Dan Ruto from kenya i hope we will get along well despite the internet challanges that hinder me here. regards

Dan Ruto, Am Evans also from Kenya, experiencing the same too but not giving up.

D
    1 Reply
  • @Obino said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@DanRuto said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

hello evryone i am Dan Ruto from kenya i hope we will get along well despite the internet challanges that hinder me here. regards

Dan Ruto, Am Evans also from Kenya, experiencing the same too but not giving up.

Welcome on board. Nice to see you on this platform

• Thanks group members, I hope we will encourage each other by sharing differents ideas about the course and other matters.

S
    1 Reply
  • Really it's a great challenge for us to communicate with our colleagues in a group. Let's try to be open, interactive, communal and collaborative as we are from diverse world. It is only the platform to accompany with you all wherever you are and achieve the goal of our learning.

• @Abushukra55 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Thanks group members, I hope we will encourage each other by sharing differents ideas about the course and other matters.

Really, it is the great ideas.

• try to cooperate the uncooperative,

• I think that they should be called to order through love and reminded of the organization believe in them to take ownership. If a colleague refuses to own the vision it become very stressful working with such person.

• Warm greetings to all my fellow group members, is really difficult to deal with this kind of people but for work to go on well you need to coooperate .

1. Know why he or she is not cooperating.
    2. Let management be aware after trying .
    A
    1 Reply
  • Hello all,

I am Clifford Bruce and I am Ghanaian, but currently living in Mauritius. I have read through some of the contributions that have been put up here and I must say that I could not agree more and it is good that we all mentioned the challenges that we may be facing so that we can try as much as possible to empathise and effectively carry out work and all.

Would love to hear from all as often as possible and see how best we can facilitate conversations on here.

Thanks.

• @nana4you20 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Warm greetings to all my fellow group members, is really difficult to deal with this kind of people but for work to go on well you need to coooperate .

1. Know why he or she is not cooperating.
    2. Let management be aware after trying .

@CliffNart said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Hello all,

I am Clifford Bruce and I am Ghanaian, but currently living in Mauritius. I have read through some of the contributions that have been put up here and I must say that I could not agree more and it is good that we all mentioned the challenges that we may be facing so that we can try as much as possible to empathise and effectively carry out work and all.

Would love to hear from all as often as possible and see how best we can facilitate conversations on here.

Thanks.
    greetings to you all!
    allow me extend my apologies for delayed submission of contributions towards this discussion.
    i am finding it difficult to connect in terms of time zone differences.
    either i come online early rather late! whats the right online time i should be in class.
    kindly, note i live in East Africa.
    thank you

• Greetings! I am James Ejembi from Nigeria, sorry I had a problem with my phone, reason why I was inactive some time. I am fully back and ready. Thanks

• Hi, I'm Dian from Indonesia ...
    Sorry I'm just here
    Please guide and help, thank u

• well, deal with uncooperative collegue is one of the frustrating problem. most of them are self-centered where they believe that they can do anything so it's oke for them to lazy and spoiled. so, to deal with them, as my experience, first, directly I talk to them that I need the one who can work together in a team, can bring the problem solving not bring the rpooblem to the team. if that way can solve,i just need to direct them to the next project. but, if it doesn't, they still haven't a progress, I'll ask them to leave. it's the way that I can do to approach the collegue like that, because the people who uncooperative need a sanrling to make them not belittle their work.

• Greetings, I's Daryl, Pardon for I was inactive.. We do have lot to work with in our organization.

By the way I think the daily schedules and daily activities are one of the things that we must deal with the people who are uncooperative. Because I'm one of them.

• Hello everyone, please I've been offline due some issues with gadget. Please kindly update me on recent development. Thanks. Solomon Osimiri

• Hello every one, I'm new face in this forum and I learned a lot of lessons from your contribution given about this topic "how to deal or manage with uncooperative workers in an organization. While the topic is very important to discuss in the forum because a lot of us experienced such matter.
    But uncooperative workers are consider base on their purpose roles they have been played in the organization. Some of them might be consultants, professionals experts or even hire from a great organisations base on their performance had been played, that's why the company can hire them base on certain agreement and on your Organization's principles .
    I think you take this can solve the disadvantages of dealing with uncooperative workers in the your organization.
    Contributed by Abdullahi Muhd Musa From Nigeria.

• Although my question is not relevant with topic, please I need more highlight about the Assignment (Monitoring and Evaluation) how to write it and procedures
    Thanks

1 Reply
  • @Abushukra55 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

Although my question is not relevant with topic, please I need more highlight about the Assignment (Monitoring and Evaluation) how to write it and procedures
    Thanks

The assignment will be use to test your knowledge about the course, so you just need to use to idea given by the instructor and create yours.
    Hope this help you!!

• @Obaikejaphet said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Xxl said in How to

I am Yusuf Yahi Adamu from Nigeria. I want to first of all apologize for my dormancy previously due to a fault developed by the gadget I used. Well, I think the best way to tackle such problem of uncooperative colleagues is by calling such individuals and ask them if there is any reason that is making them act that way. Hearing their side of the matter will enable you take the next step. Which is for you to encourage them and make them see reasons of their importance in the organization and lastly, assign them to carry out some tasks that are leadership related. That way, they will understand the efforts you are putting in to make things work and likewise the same is required and expected of them. Thank you all. My greetings to you all.

T
    1 Reply
  • My view will be to seek to know what the uncooperative colleague point of view with respect to the project. There may be the need to empathise with him/her. This may help win his/her trust. If this strtagy works, i'm sure he/she would be willing to give their commitment to the project.

• @Yusuf007 said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Obaikejaphet said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague:

@Xxl said in How to

I am Yusuf Yahi Adamu from Nigeria. I want to first of all apologize for my dormancy previously due to a fault developed by the gadget I used. Well, I think the best way to tackle such problem of uncooperative colleagues is by calling such individuals and ask them if there is any reason that is making them act that way. Hearing their side of the matter will enable you take the next step. Which is for you to encourage them and make them see reasons of their importance in the organization and lastly, assign them to carry out some tasks that are leadership related. That way, they will understand the efforts you are putting in to make things work and likewise the same is required and expected of them. Thank you all. My greetings to you all.

• Hello everyone, am Temitope Uzondu from Nigeria sorry internet connection has been very difficult here lately, my apologies for responding late.

T
    1 Reply
  • @Temigee said in How to deal with an uncooperative colleague

Hello everyone, am Temitope Uzondu
    from Nigeria sorry internet connec has
    W been very difficult here lately, my apologies for responding late.
    I think spelling out the differences with such an uncooperative colleague can help.
    Making sure that we are on same pace can also work.
    Thank you.

L
    1 Reply
Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.