Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• I will like to mention that it most important that we try as much as possible to master all approaches.
    Estimating cost is a very importance and vital skill.

Great replies, Guys.

• For my line of work, being in hospitals, has seen using more frequently the parametric type of budgeting. This is usually because we work with units (patients, medical supplies etc) so we often have an idea of the units that will be needed to complete a project.

However I do believe that working Top-Down is an effective budgeting way, as usually it is the management level that know what is actually available to create a budget. They are often more aware of the full financial capacity that can be utilised more so than the personnel involved with the actual implementation.

H
    1 Reply
  • In my opinion, the Bottom-up approach is the best to use. One of the most important reason is because it is people on the project who will actually spend the money that go out to get the estimate in real time. By this they must remember to include all service charges or hidden costs attached to an activity that may not be foreseen by experts in the Top-down or Parametric approach.

• In my opinion, the Bottom-up approach is the best to use. One of the most important reason is because it is people on the project who will actually spend the money that go out to get the estimate in real time. By this they must remember to include all service charges or hidden costs attached to an activity that may not be foreseen by experts in the Top-down or Parametric approach.

• @MphoH said in Module 2 Discussion: Estimating Costs:

For my line of work, being in hospitals, has seen using more frequently the parametric type of budgeting. This is usually because we work with units (patients, medical supplies etc) so we often have an idea of the units that will be needed to complete a project.

However I do believe that working Top-Down is an effective budgeting way, as usually it is the management level that know what is actually available to create a budget. They are often more aware of the full financial capacity that can be utilised more so than the personnel involved with the actual implementation.

Hi, this makes me get to understand that the type of organisation or project will determine what approach to estimating project costs is most suitable.

• @awyndham said in Module 2 Discussion: Estimating Costs:

This is the module 2 discussion. You may participate in this discussion after beginning module 2.

In this module, you have learned about three approaches to estimating project costs: top-down, bottom-up, and parametric. In your opinion, what is the most effective way to generate cost estimates? Make sure to explain your response.

Sample response: I believe that you should use the _ Top down_____ approach whenever possible because as mentioned, expenses occurred in the previous project we can easily estimate and edit according to the requirement. Time taken to this method is also less than the other method anyway overhead charges to be added to this as well.__ .

Top-down ,this method has the idea of the expenses occurred for each steps in previous projects and can act to minimize or maximize accordingly , project manager knows why increase or decrease the cost .

• I believe that you should use the three approaches when ever possible because all types of expenses will be tackled in order to produce a thorough project budget.

• generating cost estimate is really one of the hardest line

This is the module 2 discussion. You may participate in this discussion after beginning module 2.

In this module, you have learned about three approaches to estimating project costs: top-down, bottom-up, and parametric. In your opinion, what is the most effective way to generate cost estimates? Make sure to explain your response.

Sample response: I believe that you should use the___top down approach___ approach whenever possible because __we as well as our team can work together and can come up with more accurate cost estimation. _____________ .

• I will be more comfortable usining the Botttom-up approach because it produces more realistic cost

• Yes @HadizaUmmi I think that is a valid point. The organisation and the way it operates should define how budgets and activities can be created. Even e.g Larger organisations vs smaller ones; they would have varying amount of stakeholders involved and differing project budget 'templates' which would then dictate what type of budgeting would be relevant.

• The bottom up budgeting is the best approach as it gives a more realistic budget from the people who will actually implement the project

• ITS JUST BEING SO GREAT GETTING EXPOSED TO THIS APPROACHES

• WHEN ESTIMATING I THINK COMBINING THE THERE APPROACH IS THE BEST.

Sample response: I believe that you should use the _______ approach whenever possible because _______________ .

Bottom-up, because, this approach can produce more realistic cost estimates than the other two

• I think it is good that you use combination of all the 3 approaches when we estimate the project budget based on activities. Select the possible best approach appropriatly.

• As I think we use three approaches by steps from top down to asume about cost after that we creat cost estimate by bottom-up. After that we can update and collect all the information by survey the real price of materials, human, other fees to compare with the estimate cost by the top down and bottom - up finally we can calculate the parametric of cost and can estimate the cost as detailed.

Top down => bottom - up
    (Top down + bottom - up ) => Parametric
    ==> Generating cost estimates = result of top down + result of bottom-up + Result of the paremetric
    :) :) :)

Have anyone agree with me??

• And i appreciated the parametric :)

• Parametric is the best way to create a budget, there is a parable that say, if you want to do something do it once and for all, though the process is difficult, but it is better a gather information on the market value of the product and labor that you will be working with.

• Bottom-up approach combined with Parametric approach should suffice for me. This would help check for over blotted cost/expenses from employees. Yes, some items may not in unit, such items should be procured from trusted dealers with invoices and receipt documented.

• the bottom top approach is the best in my own opinion for generating budget. those in charge of the project will do the market survey and come up with cost.

• The process of preparing the budget by the bottom-up approach is the best because it helps have a realistic budget. But, it's good to prepare the budget with neutral persons that will not part to the implementation to avoid the bias of inflations.

• Bottom-Up and parametic is more realistic. Top-Down can be used control Bottom-Up estimates.

• I believe that you should use the bottoms up approach whenever possible. The approach can be hastened by initiating the response through quick servers to generate faster responses

• I believe that the bottom-up approach is more effective because even if the cost estimate from the implementing employees are too high, they can always be moderated at the top and they can be complemented by the parametric approach.

• As regards to Project Cost Estimation, Triangulating of the three Methods is the best way to come up with the Project Costs, since when you use the three methods; top-down, bottom-up, and parametric, you will have fully exhausted all methods despite the time consumed.

• i believe that combining all the three approaches so that each is best used where applicable is the best way to generate estimates

• There are three approaches to creating activity based budget viz-a-viz Top down, Bottom up and Parametric and each of these approaches has its merits and demerits. Therefore, the choice of approach to be used is largely depends on the prevailing circumstances surrounding the project. If the project is urgent and requires quick implementation, Top down is recommended because it is simple and generate quick result. However, if sufficient time is available for the execution of the project and you want a more realistic cost estimates, Bottom up and parametric approaches are recommended.
    Conclusively, in my own opinion, whichever approach that is chosen by the project manager, all project activities, expenses and supporting services must be captured.

Sample response: I believe that you should use the _______ approach whenever possible because _______________ .

I believe that you should use the bottom up approach whenever possible because it promotes direct participation on plan with the beneficiaries.

I believe that the bottom-up approach is the best approach because the project implementers are on the ground. These people know how the costs are on the market and it is for them to give cost estimates and add in miscellaneous expenses if necessary. This is much better than Top down and parametric approaches.

I believe that you should use the parametric approach whenever possible because it is most accurate as determining the cost of a project or item it prevent the project from being above budget

I believe that you should use the _______ approach whenever possible because _______________ .

I believe that you should use bottom-up whenever possible because the costs are more realistic and accurate; however, if you use top-down, then build in buffers and double-check some key cost drivers with those who are on the ground.

I believe that the bottom-up approach is the best approach because the project implementers are on the ground. These people know how the costs are on the market and it is for them to give cost estimates and add in miscellaneous expenses if necessary. This is much better than Top down and parametric approaches.

• i think the bottom-up approach is the best because the person spending is the one estimating the cost.even if that person can be dishonest but there are market prices which are almost standard on the market.

• In my opinion, choosing the best approach among the three is depending on the nature, type, complexity, and context of the project. But, in most contexts bottom-up approach is relatively a smart approach to get a reliable and closer result.

• Drawing from my experiences, the bottom-up approach in combination with the parametric, whenever possible must be applied. However, inflation and political instabilities can blow your budgets off the charts but key is honest reporting and following financial procedure when changes have to be made inline of course with the project charters flexibility rules

• Estimating costs also depends on the nature of projects. The projects we implement have usually have similar activities that incur same sort of expenditures. Only when we add new activities to our projects do we consult partners and employees on cost estimates.

• Combining both top down and bottom up approaches
    why?
    I find that despite its disvantage but the first approach have advantages such as simple, rapid and it is based on group work,
    by the combining the first one and the second one we will have the estimate cost from the first group which are (reseracher , expert, managers) and in the same time we will have the estimate cost from the individuals who will actually be spending the money and then we well meet the real cost

• @KOPJ said in Module 2 Discussion: Estimating Costs:

I believe that you should use the parametric approach whenever possible because it is more logical and allows for proper calculation of cost

I think that we may use the approach which appropriately estimate the budget any of the approach is best which is based on situation.

• I believe the bottom top approach is the best especially when combined with the top bottom approach because it would actually reflect the current market price and reduce the issue of adjusting or increasing budget

• I think the bottom-up approach is the best, because there will be transparency and unity in working, since the project team generated the budget, hence, they will work willingly, and he/she would be responsible for his activity. Hence, there will be limited risk.

• I think it would be good if you try all the three and see which gives more realistic cost and help reduce the project budget spending.

• I believe that you have to use an approach that suits the project design. Using a combination of all three would work for certain programs.

Personally, I believe that the best approach is the bottom-up approach because it is simply realistic and the people who really know the market price are carried along. Despite the assumed mischief from the people making the expenses, there may not be shortfalls in the real costs of the main expenses. However, we can also combine it with the parametric for better outcome.

There is no best approach among the three, it all depends on the activity or circumstance at hand. there are situations where you just have to guess the cost using the top-down approach; another situation may warrant you to request that your team members send in estimates base on activity assigned to them - bottom-up approach; and situation where you can just estimate the total cost base on the knowledge of unit cost and required quantity - the parametric approach.

his is the module 2 discussion. You may participate in this discussion after beginning module 2.
    Sample response: I believe that you should use the _______ approach whenever possible because

In my own opinion, the most effective way to generate cost estimate is to use the bottom-up approach, because the individual that will utilize the money will have time to conduct costs survey of items needed in his/her project and give cost per item. This will be more realistic and unconstraint as the individual knows exactly what she is looking for in terms of costs and quantities.

• In my opinion, I believe the a combination of Bottom-Up and Parametric is the best. In my Organization, we usually consult the people that are going to spend the money to give us an estimation of the cost and we usually use the ''parametric'' to estimate a group of items we want to use. After gathering all the information, we slightly use the ''Top-down'' approach to deliver the final estimated budget.

• I believe u use all three approaches as much as possible to compliment each other

• @JASSA said in Module 2 Discussion: Estimating Costs:

I believe that bottom up approach will work because the project implementer are at the bottom. They know the actual cost of the deliverable or for the whole project. However, the advantage is dishonesty. On The other hand, different situations, settings or types of project will determine the kind of approach used in budgeting.

With both the top-down and bottom-up approaches having advantages and disadvantages over each other, I believe it will always be most effective to combine the two and compliment each other and add the parametric approach where it is applicable.

I believe that you should use both the top-down and bottom-up approaches as muvm as possible to compliment each other's strengths and augment each other's weaknesses. However, where necessary, the parametric approach should be considered.

• The best way to do cost estimate is bottom up 1) you get accurate prices from the people who do the actual work 2) even if the workers may be dishonest the estimated cost is till applicable and easily verifiable 3)) it’s very easily to collect cost data

• I think that you should use the bottom -up approach in a situation where most purchasing of project materials will be done from the field locations by direct project implementors in the field because costs of goods varies from places to places hence field workers can easily estimate the correct costs in their areas of operation or locality

• Bottom-up approach

• As regards to Project Cost Estimation, Triangulating of the three Methods is the best way to come up with the Project Costs, since when you use the three methods; top-down, bottom-up, and parametric, you will have fully exhausted all methods despite the time consumed.

• I believe that top-down approach must be done first and then the bottom up approach

Sample response: I believe that you should use the bottom approach whenever possible because it aims to use updated information hence the estimates can be trusted

• I prefer the Top-down Approach because it involved stakeholders like experts and other managers that are directly link to the project.

While the bottom -up method can bring the most realistic estimates for generating cost estimates i would combine the three methods. the top-bottom method will help in giving the general guideline for the costs in the industry while the parametric can be useful where the project doesnot have an expect on the area or is outsourcing then the parametric method can help in setting parametrs for the ventors. The issues of time consttaints will also be helpful in deciding on the costing method to use

• I believe the best option is parametric. Because you can calculate for staff salary the day's wage for duration of the activity or project, for external consultants the cost of the service, the cost the equipment or materials, etc.

• In my regard, the bottom-up is the most effective coupled with the parametric cost estimates budget. The officer who is charge in his/her section is the best person to really understand what will be the most important activity and how much will it cost to achieve it, provided that he/she is honesty. Regardless of it, it is so critical that the project manager has good background information on the critical path so that he/she may provide good check and balances on finances.Furthermore, parametric cost estimates are easy up to follow and can be easily understood; hence should be used where applicable.

• In my own opinion, I think using all the three types of cost estimating will be more effective because the top-down will save you from time consuming but not accurate estimate cost and whiles the bottom-up will gives more realistic cost estimate but time consuming and also the parametric will help to estimate cost per unit. So in all, using all these three approach helps account and effectively estimate cost for a project.

• Combination of the three.

Sample response: I believe that you should use the _______ approach whenever possible because

I believe that you should use the bottom up approach whenever possible because the people in this level are aware of what goes on in the ground. for example as a project manager I have to make a budget that was created for me which is a total mess. activities are not properly budgeted for

• In my opinion, I believe that the Parametric approach should be used whenever possible because it will informed on accuracy and getting information on cost-per-unit of materials are also relatively easy to do
    Thank you.

• I also think the bottom-up will be the most appropriate approach for estimating activity cost. That is because; the people with the right knowledge of cost price will be involved...getting experts together may not likely give a realistic cost. And to avoid having to request more funds after the actual fund have been released due to inaccuracy in the cost of items may not be the best for any project.

• I believe the bottom up approach works best as persons on the ground are usually better at understanding the real and hidden costs of executing parts of the project. My advice would be to put measures in place to monitor spending and approval of funds once the project is approved and the budget allocated. This would help mitigate worries about dishonest team members.

I believe that you should use the a combination of approaches whenever possible. The key piece is that you are using estimates that are realistic, so finding the appropriate information from experts (ie. top-down approach) or going straight to the source of those that know best about the activities should be done in tandem.

I believe that you should use all three approach whenever possible because in that way we can cross-check all estimates and be comfortable the project is reasonably budgeted for.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.