Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Hello every one:
    Governance refers to the set of policies, regulations, functions, processes, procedures and responsibilities that define the establishment, management and control of projects, programmes and portfolios.
    Project governance is the infrastructure that surrounds our project dealing with responsibility and accountability. Basically it is the framework for making decisions regarding the project
    Project governance entails all the key elements that make a project successful.
    thanks and regards
    Marmeen ahmadzai

J
    1 Reply
  • From my past experience, the project manager reports to the country director on possibly implementing new projects or changes that might need to be made for current projects. There are also weekly meetings for updates. Project governance is extremely important. It allows for their to be a clear plan of action if issues do arise. Understanding project governance from the beginning helps project managers know what decisions they can and cannot make on their own.

• @Ahsas said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Hello every one:
    Governance refers to the set of policies, regulations, functions, processes, procedures and responsibilities that define the establishment, management and control of projects, programmes and portfolios.
    Project governance is the infrastructure that surrounds our project dealing with responsibility and accountability. Basically it is the framework for making decisions regarding the project
    Project governance entails all the key elements that make a project successful.
    thanks and regards
    Marmeen ahmadzai

I agree with your thoughts on project governance. I especially like your points about responsibility and accountability. Establishing project governance from the start makes decisions much more clear as the project begins and progresses.

• Course Facilitator

@awyndham said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    Find at least one post that you are curious to learn more about. Reply to that post by asking a clarifying question.

Project governance must be decided from the onset of the project during the planning process because it is difficult to change the course of any project once it starts. The authority should be given to the person that will responsible for changing any of the plans stated initially. In my opinion, the authority is not enough without following the due process in changing the initial plan. This will allow the involvement and approval from other quarters so that a single person will not single-handedly change the course of the project

• @Dorlyo said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In the organization that I work for, the director is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager comes up with a weekly report on which the director gives his opinion and they put heads together to move the project forward. Major decisions that involves the possibility of the change in scope, budget or the schedule are occasionally taken to the board of directors.

Good. Do the Project Manager has the responsibility to change some of his Staff if He is not satisfying with some of their work?

I think Yes, if that is one of the responsibility of the Project Manager

• Project governance is important to all social impact projects for it helps the project leaders and team to understand the specific roles of the project manager, highlighting what he can and not do during project implementation. This makes work clear and allows easy decision making thus leading to project success

S
    1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

for some gouvernment project , the project governance is uually attributed to a steering comitee , which takes place at least 2 times per year at the begining of the project to analysis and approve project document ant at the end of the annualy work plan to evaluate the project result; and the steering comitee can take place also when some changes must be made

• @awyndham said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

This is the module 1 discussion. You may participate in this discussion once you have begun module 1.

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    Find at least one post that you are curious to learn more about. Reply to that post by asking a clarifying question.

Example post: On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?

in my organization, the project manage reports to the Chief Executive officer. he provides quarterly reports of milestones reached. the project manager can only make adjustments to project schedules, tasks, and deadlines, but seeks the permission of the Executive director to make any changes on the budget.

• @boazbaluku said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Project governance is important to all social impact projects for it helps the project leaders and team to understand the specific roles of the project manager, highlighting what he can and not do during project implementation. This makes work clear and allows easy decision making thus leading to project success

who do your project manager report to directly?

• The Project Governance of our team involves the Project Director who is the overall overseer of the entire project . he is seconded by the Project manager who is more directly involved with the field staff and is responsible of reporting to the director on a weekly basis and sometimes two times a week based on the intensity and need of intervention of the director. in essence the project manager liaises the director with his staff in all department from finance, hr , field work and M& E . he is responsible in making sure issues from all departments are heard by the director through him

• On my project, the project governance structure is based on feasibility studies which set out the schedule, budget and targets within a twelve (month) period. The project manager reports directly to 3 board of directors. He has the flexibility to outsource contracts or services with budgets not exceeding Ten Thousand US Dollars ($10,000) without the board’s approval.

M
    P
    2 Replies
  • In my last project, the project manager (team leader) is responsible to conduct the reporting directly to the program director. When the necessary revision to the project's scope, timeline and budgets are becoming a necessity, both the program director and project managers communicate with the donor organization (which usually happen at an annual review meeting with the donors).

• Course Facilitator

@JASSA said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I know that project governance is very important in any project. The project governance but be established so that every member is aware of their duty, their colleagues duties. Not only that but through the project governance, a reporting system is established and the channel of communications. In project that we do, we establish project boards or executives that oversee the project. The project Manager reports directly to the project executives. from the executive level, information are then disseminated to relevant stakeholders.

Hello Jassa, are you saying that Project executives have the governance over projects? Can't we have a situation where the project manager has project governance but still report to them?

• In my organisation, the Program manager is allowed to make any changes in a project implementation. However, he shoud report any change to the board of directors. Meanwhile, the PM and the M&E officer should agree before any change is reported to the BoD and made.

Z
    2 Replies
  • @Phcobbi said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

On my project, the project governance structure is based on feasibility studies which set out the schedule, budget and targets within a twelve (month) period. The project manager reports directly to 3 board of directors. He has the flexibility to outsource contracts or services with budgets not exceeding Ten Thousand US Dollars ($10,000) without the board’s approval.

Hi; what is the frequence of the reporting of the PM to the board? does the PM have to report systematically any change?

• In the organization that I work for, the project manager reports to the director, if there are going to be changes in the budget, project scope, etc he has to make a recourse to the director before implementing such, and at the same he's the one responsible for either failure or success of the project as the case may be.

• where I work, Project Governance is a very challenging issue. This is because the different roles ad responsibilities are not clearly defined and the authority figure has not been sorted.
    The Governor is yet to form the board of directors so the MD and the Project Manager are always clashing on who gives the final decisions on certain aspects of the project. While I understand that there are certain aspects of the project that the project manager should have a say, this makes him feel incompetent at his job.
    unfortunately, nothing can be done until the board is appointed and sworn in by the governor

1 Reply
  • Who does the project manager report to? The project manager reports to the the organisation director and the project team. If any changes to the project scope are approved by the project governance, they should be added to the project charter and officially documented.
    What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    The project manager decides, with the project governance, about exactly what they are allowed to do, who will be held accountable if something goes wrong, and how changes to the project charter will be made.

• Project Governance is critical in project deployment as it help to establish authority and frame of reporting. In my organisation, the project Manager reports to the President of the Executive council who likewise report to the Board. The Program Manager consults with the President for approval before any change can be implemented

• The project manager reports to the director through the Development Planning Unit which does the evaluation and the reporting.
    The project manager does not make changes without the prior approval of the Development Planning Committee.

B
    1 Reply
  • why we are not giving all responsibility to the project manager? what is the need for project director?

• In the organisation I work for, which happens to be a Government institution, various projects are handled by individual Project Managers, who work in consultation with the Projects Coordinator. Initially the Project Mangers reported to the Director, but since the introduction of the position of a Projects Coordinator within the Organisation, there is lack of role clarity as the Projects Coordinator sometimes want to take control of the project management roles.

P
    1 Reply

This is the module 1 discussion. You may participate in this discussion once you have begun module 1.

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance? In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to? What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?

Example post: On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

Example reply: How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?

The project manager should update the director weekly and prepare a comprehensive report at least at the end of each month or phase of the project for submission. Certainly, the donor is involved with the governance of the project.

• For my Organization, the Project Manager reports to the Chief of party and Country Director on weekly basis. The Program manager relays every information on roles and responsibilities to everyone concerned in the organization.

• @JASSA said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I know that project governance is very important in any project. The project governance but be established so that every member is aware of their duty, their colleagues duties. Not only that but through the project governance, a reporting system is established and the channel of communications. In project that we do, we establish project boards or executives that oversee the project. The project Manager reports directly to the project executives. from the executive level, information are then disseminated to relevant stakeholders.

@JASSA When you say the "Project Manager reports directly to the Project Executives", is the Manager reporting to all the executives or a designated member of the executive?

• As learned from module 1,the decisions in my organization are mostly made by the project manager who ofcourse reports directly to the executive director and the implementing partners or funders of the project.

H
    1 Reply
  • @Phcobbi said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

On my project, the project governance structure is based on feasibility studies which set out the schedule, budget and targets within a twelve (month) period. The project manager reports directly to 3 board of directors. He has the flexibility to outsource contracts or services with budgets not exceeding Ten Thousand US Dollars ($10,000) without the board’s approval.

@MBA, the project manager reports monthly to the directors the progress of work done and any decision taken and the ones he would want to take in the coming months. There are times he will request for a conference call if a major incident/accident happens during the month.

• @Mokaje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In the organisation I work for, which happens to be a Government institution, various projects are handled by individual Project Managers, who work in consultation with the Projects Coordinator. Initially the Project Mangers reported to the Director, but since the introduction of the position of a Projects Coordinator within the Organisation, there is lack of role clarity as the Projects Coordinator sometimes want to take control of the project management roles.

Within the organization structure who is suppose to supervise the other; project manager or project coordinator?

• On our project, the Manager reports and shares weekly updates to the Program director, this is done on weekly and monthly basis. But again any changes needs the Approval from director and donors authority.

1 Reply
  • I am the Project Development Personnel of BOTANTIM, one who does all report and does change of scope if it matters. My governing board accesses my report and empower me to fix challenges.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

@Mba said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organisation, the Program manager is allowed to make any changes in a project implementation. However, he shoud report any change to the board of directors. Meanwhile, the PM and the M&E officer should agree before any change is reported to the BoD and made.

This appears to be a good approach to project governance because it does not give room for redundancy and time wastage before changes are made on projects. In a situation where you need to leave governance to the project or country director or board of directors, the project might prolong unnecessarily. And, do not forget that there is time line for deliverables.

• Course Facilitator

@Enefaka said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

where I work, Project Governance is a very challenging issue. This is because the different roles ad responsibilities are not clearly defined and the authority figure has not been sorted.
    The Governor is yet to form the board of directors so the MD and the Project Manager are always clashing on who gives the final decisions on certain aspects of the project. While I understand that there are certain aspects of the project that the project manager should have a say, this makes him feel incompetent at his job.
    unfortunately, nothing can be done until the board is appointed and sworn in by the governor

This is a real challenge, something has to be done immediately.

• Course Facilitator

@Lisabigael said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

On our project, the Manager reports and shares weekly updates to the Program director, this is done on weekly and monthly basis. But again any changes needs the Approval from director and donors authority.

Which one is more important: the board of directors or the donors in project governance?

• @gedionjuma said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I work for two programs managed by two separate program managers who report to one team leader who reports to the donor. The program managers work closely with local NGOs whom they supervise. These NGOs send reports and any field level recommendations to the program managers who report these to the team leader. For major decisions and changes to the program scope and budgets the team lead has to consult the donor in writing and only after the donor approval can he change either.

Does having to wait for donor approval provide any challenges to the program managers? Are they provided with any flexibility with decision making?

• @RaviL said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Based on social impact projects within organizations i have worked on in the past, I worked in middle management. Basically i was responsible for managing the project that was being implemented in the beneficiary community. So the persons working in the beneficiaries communities reported to me regarding their various activities that they were delivering. Subsequently I developed monthly work reports that were submitted to the Administrative Manager who sat on the Management Committee for the organization (the MC was responsible for managing the organization). She reported back to the Management Committee on what was done within the project as well as developed quarterly reports that were submitted to the project funders.

The kind of decisions that i was allowed to make was related to the daily and routine implementation of the programme in accordance to the work plan. Thus i had a lot of liberty in deciding what activities were done, when it was done and the frame of delivery. However with regard to spending, budgets were developed for each activity and submitted to the Administrative Manager for approval and subsequently funds were disbursed on a draw down schedule. If there were variations to the approved activity budget, a request was made to the Administrative Manager and she decided if and how these variations would be engaged.

What were some of the challenges you faced with being middle management? Were there any specific duties that you could have been given to make your role easier?

N
    1 Reply

Project governance--how decisions are made and authority is distributed on a project--is an extremely important topic. How does your team organize project governance?
    Ans: Project Governance (PG) is critical to the success of any project , I will discuss three aspect of (PG) and how my team would organize and observe the principles of the structure outlined by appointment, policies and documentations.

Ans: Our established org. chart will be our first point of contact that will guide our (PG) in terms of the reporting roles and responsibilities (decision making abilities, activities, subject matter experts) of each person, which will be communicated, clarified and acknowledge at the project's initiating meetings and documented in the meeting minutes. This would confirm our decision making framework and policy guidelines within our organization which will then be officially documented in the project charter and signed for validate and authenticity.

In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure.

Who does the project manager report to?

Ans: The Project Manager reports to the Board of Director (Website/Program Manager) who reports the Project Sponsors .............

Ans: The Project Manager is allowed to make decisions relating to Project Team and Allocated Resource Management of the specific Project until the transition stage.

• @MphoH said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@RaviL said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Based on social impact projects within organizations i have worked on in the past, I worked in middle management. Basically i was responsible for managing the project that was being implemented in the beneficiary community. So the persons working in the beneficiaries communities reported to me regarding their various activities that they were delivering. Subsequently I developed monthly work reports that were submitted to the Administrative Manager who sat on the Management Committee for the organization (the MC was responsible for managing the organization). She reported back to the Management Committee on what was done within the project as well as developed quarterly reports that were submitted to the project funders.

The kind of decisions that i was allowed to make was related to the daily and routine implementation of the programme in accordance to the work plan. Thus i had a lot of liberty in deciding what activities were done, when it was done and the frame of delivery. However with regard to spending, budgets were developed for each activity and submitted to the Administrative Manager for approval and subsequently funds were disbursed on a draw down schedule. If there were variations to the approved activity budget, a request was made to the Administrative Manager and she decided if and how these variations would be engaged.

What were some of the challenges you faced with being middle management? Were there any specific duties that you could have been given to make your role easier?

Was your role the Project Coordinator?

• Usually, a project manager reports to the superior directors for approvals as to move to the next scope of a project. What is the decision takta by a project manager that does not need the permission from his/her superior?

L
    2 Replies
  • Let not forget that all projects are not the same and not manage the same way, hence the governance on each project are never the same.
    It is very importance that you understand the nature of your project and the reporting hierarchy.

Good job guys.

1 Reply
  • Course Facilitator

In the previous organisation that I worked for, if the need arise to change the scope or budget of the project, the research associate will report the issue with the project associate who will then discussed it with the principal investigate who most times serves as the donor and they are mostly abroad. If he/she thinks it legitimate for the success of the project,he/she will inform the country director to effect the changes needed.

• Course Facilitator

@METTLE said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

I am the Project Development Personnel of BOTANTIM, one who does all report and does change of scope if it matters. My governing board accesses my report and empower me to fix challenges.

Did you report before or after you have execute the changes needed?

• Course Facilitator

@Ahmadsahal said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Usually, a project manager reports to the superior directors for approvals as to move to the next scope of a project. What is the decision takta by a project manager that does not need the permission from his/her superior?

The project charter will specify all that so I believe a good project manager will only take decision without permission because the project charter has clarify it.

• Greeting all, the organization in which I’m working in ,there are a lot of development projects and I’m working as the coordinators of the projects in which there are different partners involved and the management meeting being held on monthly basis and submitted the report to the programme director, the programme director simultaneously held the meeting with other projects coordinators to find the report on the progress of the project, challenges and finally take action points on the gaps identified , but the donors are not involved on the meeting which is held with the programme director and it require the permission from the programme director any change in the projects

• @Ahmadsahal said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Usually, a project manager reports to the superior directors for approvals as to move to the next scope of a project. What is the decision takta by a project manager that does not need the permission from his/her superior?

The project charter it contain all details to be reported directly to the directors

• @Gustaff said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In our project set up the Project Manager Reports to the Project Steering Committee also known as project review board. The project manager calls for a project review board meeting monthly or at an agreed interval to give progress or present any requests for change. Emergency changes may require calling for an emergency project review board meeting

What decisions can the Project Manager take without consulting the Project Steering Committee and in the case of emergency meetings how long does this process take for a decision to be made?

• But for smaller organization the project manager is also the director and he directly report to the stakeholders.

• @Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In the organization that I work for, the director is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager comes up with a weekly report on which the director gives his opinion and they put heads together to move the project forward. Major decisions that involves the possibility of the change in scope, budget or the schedule are occasionally taken to the board of directors.

Is the Director the most senior member of staff and the key decision maker?

A
    1 Reply
  • The donor is update on the progress of the project quarterly

• @AshleyNee said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organization the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

She is the executive director of the organization.

• In my organisation, the project manager reports to the regional director. The project manager makes a weekly report to the regional director.The project manager makes decisions and changes budgets, actions, requirements and improvements.

• @BILLS_AKOWUAH said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The project manager reports to the director through the Development Planning Unit which does the evaluation and the reporting.
    The project manager does not make changes without the prior approval of the Development Planning Committee.

how often does the project manager reports to the development planning unit

• Project governance is cardinal for the successful implementation of any project. In the organisation where I work, the project manager reports to the executive director, he has the power to make decisions about time and schedules. However, only with the consent of the executive director can he make decisions on budget and other requirements.

The project manager gives activity reports as soon as it is conducted, and a summary of weekly activity report.

The donor is also involved in project governance, sometimes there may be need to seek for the approval of the donor especially when it comes to budget and requirements.

• @Nathfem said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

As learned from module 1,the decisions in my organization are mostly made by the project manager who ofcourse reports directly to the executive director and the implementing partners or funders of the project.

Is donor involve in your project governance?

• Hello, I think a project Governance is important as it high lights the different authorities and responsibilities. It pictures out the whole system of control and makes project execution easier. So it's very important for us to define and understand this key concept in our homes or organization,and once this is establish I think things begins to move smoothly. My questions are : How often does the project manager give updates to the director? Is the donor also involved in project governance?

• On our projects, the project manager reports to the projects Assessment board of the organization. The project manager cannot change schedules and tasks without the approval of the projects Assessment board. Changes have to be discussed first

I agree. Clearly established and should be cascaded down the line so that each individual knows their function and deliverables.

• In our project there is a researcher coordinator who reports to the executive director. She can adjustments to the work schedules but not the budget. The coordinator works with an assistant coordinator

• Fail to plan, plan to fail. Very essential for managers to plan well before going into field for project implementation.

• Course Facilitator

Project governance from every indication remains the cornerstone of propelling a particular project to fruition. However, what if in the team of project governance we encounter some stumbling blocs from the management team? How do we handle them?

• Course Facilitator

@JASSA, this is well develop but the one worry I have is that some projects are bilateral and can, therefore, include some individuals in the project governance rung who are not from the same context with you. Their cultural background becomes a stumbling block. How can this be managed so that cohesion remains in the team of project management?

• @AshleyNee said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In my organization the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

How good are you doing towards achieving your goal? and how do the team member communicate each other ?

M
    1 Reply
  • @Azzaabi87 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@AshleyNee said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

How good are you doing towards achieving your goal? and how do the team member communicate each other ?

Achieving our goals is pretty easy as we work in a known environment , where most of our members come from. The team communicates through regular or spontaneous meetings when a major event ocurs.

• I think project governance is critical. i believe the governance structure must be clear for everyone's sake so that there is no back and forth pointing of fingers when false starts happen-- because they will.

• Project governance are people who has the power change the decision, budget and These are the person or group of people with these powers are known as the project governance.

• This module is an eye opener and am am indid very glad to be here

• @Kube said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Draigboje said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Is the Director the most senior member of staff and the key decision maker?

I agree with you. The same process works out in the organization where I work except for changes in name. The project Manager reports to the Director General who reports to the Board of Trustees.

• While I agree completely with the outcomes so far, am a little dismayed that most of the organizations our organizations have worked for seem to have developed their own project design and expect the applicant to tailor his/her project application in the same direction and the implication from what zi have learned so far is that they give such an applicant room for manuvering! This is my observation, though!

• Now that we have gone through the fist and second phases in project management, what about the remaining three I.e planning,implementation and end-of-project transition? Kindly help if I missed it!

• In the place of where i work in ghana on a project the project manager reports to the Director. We have weekly team meetings so that everyone is up to date on activities across the organization. Changes to the scope and budget are made by the director while activities are the handled by the project manager.

• I have no relevant experience , anyway having progress meeting once a month or once a week with the head of project manager will be most effective

• The governance structure in the organization I work for is pretty standard there is a managing director, who is supported by senior managers and the senior retail manager is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager is expected to produce a daily report on which the senior managers review and reflect on so as to move to make progress.

E
    A
    2 Replies
  • In our organisation the project Director is the only person that changes task thou the the program officers contributed is also accepted for such decision to be taken but the project donor are not consulted.

• How does your team organize project governance?
    in the organization of project governance, the Executive Director, project manager and Training Director form a team to draw down the project deliverable and individuals that are responsible for each task.
    In this module's discussion, share your team's governance structure. Who does the project manager report to?
    He take direction instruction from the executive Director and the Director of Training.
    The Project Manager is responsible to make decisions that is best in the interest of the implementation of the project and in line with the project schedule and budget.

• @Luntha said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

@Gustaff said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

In our project set up the Project Manager Reports to the Project Steering Committee also known as project review board. The project manager calls for a project review board meeting monthly or at an agreed interval to give progress or present any requests for change. Emergency changes may require calling for an emergency project review board meeting

What decisions can the Project Manager take without consulting the Project Steering Committee and in the case of emergency meetings how long does this process take for a decision to be made?

I just finished the module 1 and found it very informative. Is anybody guide me how WBS is practiced on MS project?

• While project managers are important people, there are usually certain decisions that even they are not allowed to make. Changes to the budget, schedule, or scope are usually on this list. That is why it is important to decide early on who is responsible for these kinds of decisions. The person or group of people with these powers are known as the project governance.

There are many forms of project governance. A large organization with many stakeholders may create a project governance board: a group of leaders and stakeholders who make big decisions together. Smaller organizations may assign a single person to govern a project—often a director or other leader.
    However project governance is structured, it is important that the structure is documented officially in the project charter and discussed in detail. The project manager should have an in-depth discussion with the project governance about exactly what they are allowed to do, who will be held accountable if something goes wrong, and how changes to the project charter will be made.
    To keep the smooth running of the project and avoid risks , the project manager needs to update key stakeholders of the project on frequent basis. This will keep everyone (from top level project leaders down to labourers) in line to the Project Goals/Objectives/Aim.

• @Kube said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The governance structure in the organization I work for is pretty standard there is a managing director, who is supported by senior managers and the senior retail manager is the person to whom the Project Manager reports. The Project Manager is expected to produce a daily report on which the senior managers review and reflect on so as to move to make progress.

@Fkarmoo1 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The donor is update on the progress of the project quarterly

@Fkarmoo1 said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

The donor is update on the progress of the project quarterly

Don' forget to update the labourers too. Human resource will be more efficient if they get a picture of what's going on so that they can know what should be achieved; or how far is the finishing line for the project. Consulting their opinion could also help in the smooth running of the project. avoiding hiccups and delays.

• Where I am working for, there are a several project manegers who attend the projects by disciplines or subjects. Those Project managers have to meet every week with the Director to report how the project is going on. Minor adjustments in the chronogram activities can be performed by the Project manager. However, if there are budget or important changes in the chronogram, those have to be discussed with the board of directors.

• Usually there is Country Management Team head by country.. In head department there is head. at field level there is project coordinator who is managing project at field level assisted by head of section at field level. Project coordinator report to country director on daily basis. Head of section at field level report to there respective head of department at country level. All decisions approved by country director.

• On our project, the Project Manager reports to the Operations Manager and the Country Director and he is allowed to change the schedule of the project at any time.

• I have not been directly involved in delivering projects before now. However, I have come to understand the importance of Project governance in Any project.
    I think Project governance would be taken very important, and should be agreed on before take off of any project.

• On our project there is a project governance structure in the way of AP manager, CPO manager, RA, Operations director and National director. Through such structure both AP and CPO managers mainly focus on implementations and the rest RA and operations director will approve decisions and the National director will approve some higher decisions.

• hello everyone
    there are many forms of project governance. a large organization with many stakeholders may create a project governance board -: a group of leaders and stakeholders who m make important decisions together.

smaller organizations may assign a single person to be in charge of a project,a director or other leader. project governance is structured, it is important that the structure is documented officially in the project charter and discussed in detail about exactly what they are allowed to do,who will be accountable if something goes wrong and how changes to the project charter will be made.

regards anona
    zimbabwe

• @Yarkpazuo said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Our project manager reports to the project Country Director. The project manager is authorized to implement the scope of the project. He is allowed to change the schedule in line with the Director notice. The manager reports on a monthly basis to the country Director.

what role does the sponsor play

• What kinds of decisions is the project manager allowed to make?
    A project manager is a person who has the overall responsibility for the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project
    Project managers frequently find themselves making, or at least influencing crucial decisions.Decisions may be as simple quick ones that are limited to one department
    A project manager is a person who is responsible for making decisions, both large and small. The project manager should make sure they control risk and minimise uncertainty. Every decision the project manager makes must directly benefit their project

• Hi Sir/ Madam
    I wish have all my lessons in a PDF format which I can be able to download and print it out.

• Most organizations fail to uplift and make a project a reality when they engage in poor governance. Project governance streamlines the system of a given organization and everyone gets clear on the core goals embeded.

• Board of Directors

• Well, To maintain the schedule reporting about the task can in mid-level should be in week basis or half-month. But in base-level worker should report daily. It may be oral. But the project manager should take note about it to make the report in higher level. A project manager should be authorized to relocate the human resource , immediate cash relocation and punishment for failing task in work to worker. This is the way of mine.

Now my question is in some project governance structure project manager is not allowed to make punishment or any relocating activity about money or resource? What is the reason behind it?

• I think in this course, the project manager has a lot to do in the project. He/she the pillar of the project. He/she reports to the Executive Director or the staff all the outcomes of the project .
    The project manager can change schedule, budget and scope in common ground with the Executive Director or the staff.
    All the components of this module are very important for me.

• I want to know the synonyms of schedule and scope please.

• I have mistakenly uploaded the wrong file for my assignment. How can i do please?

Everything is superb that you have include in module

I dont work for Organiztion so i don't have Idea.

On our projects, the project manager reports to the director of the organization. The project manager can change schedules and tasks, but they need to get the permission of the director to change any budgets, deadlines, or requirements.

I am HABA Jean from Guinea Conakry west Afrique, I did management in school but this course is giving me good idea. The projet governance is very important but In my country all the project they undertook fail, they over budget and they don't respect the project deadline.
    I am delighted in joining this noble team and hope to learn better ideas moving forward. My goal for this course is to get additional and added value knowledge and skills on program management to deliver the most desired services to the society where the organization is implementing programes on humanitarian and development aspect.

R
    1 Reply

Project governance is most essential in any Organization because through this the Project manager is able to report to the senior executives. it enables the team set in the organization to accomplish certain project in a schedule, scope and budgetary set in the project charters.

• Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.
    In a word, it’s good project management. This is a person or group of people who are responsible for certain project decisions.
    This says the project manager or project leader to achieve the project scope within a specified time frame with a defined budget. He must therefore surround himself with competent people who understand the project in order to better carry out the tasks entrusted to them with the knowledge of the project charter. The project manager will be able to make decisions, but in some cases he or she would be required to refer to the project governance for which he or she is responsible.

• Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.
    In a word, it’s good project management. This is a person or group of people who are responsible for certain project decisions.
    This says the project manager or project leader to achieve the project scope within a specified time frame with a defined budget. He must therefore surround himself with competent people who understand the project in order to better carry out the tasks entrusted to them with the knowledge of the project charter. The project manager will be able to make decisions, but in some cases he or she would be required to refer to the project governance for which he or she is responsible.

• @Mawusi said in Module 1 Discussion: Project Governance:

Let not forget that all projects are not the same and not manage the same way, hence the governance on each project are never the same.
    It is very importance that you understand the nature of your project and the reporting hierarchy.

Good job guys.

great contribution, the projects differ from one organization to another hence the governance is set different, in most cases the project manager reports to the senior executives or Director of the organization.
    Great point there.

• Am so excited I made such an excellent grade in my WBS going by our module 1 homework! It was interesting!

• hello learners

Project governance can be defined as the implementation of assets available to effectively manage a project.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.