Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Introduce yourself to the community!

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Arts, Culture, Humanities community of practice! My name is Jason and I’m a community manager here at Philanthropy University.

Please use this topic to introduce yourselves to everyone else in the community. What is your name? Where do you live? Where do you work? What is your role? Why did you choose to join this community?

M
    2 Replies
  • Welcome @fionamac , @EkinsuOzkazanc, @Sello, @valeria, and @deplomaci! Great to have you all here.

Could you all share a bit about yourselves here on this thread? Where do you all live? What is your interest or work related to arts, culture, and humanities?

• Hello Arts, Culture, Humanities community of practice!
    My name is Sello Moeketsi . I have been artist (musician), a cultural professional for over 20 years now and a member a a few cultural organisations in South Africa.
    My interest is to be able to connect artists between Ireland and South Africa for cultural exchange ,residency and other arts and culture activities.
    My advocacy is Cultural Mobility funding and visa challenges for South African Artists who want to showcase their work abroad. .
    My interest in arts and culture is empowerment and social justice
    My hope with Philantrophy University is capacity building,and fund raising skills for the arts.

Sello

1 Reply
  • @jason said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

Hi. My name is Pam Ella. I live in Arizona. I worked for 10+ years as a software tester, but got laid off and am currently seeking work. Someday I want to either start or work with an organization that converts useful educational topics into lyrics/songs or comedy bits for teen and adult listeners. The songs would have to get played enough that listeners can memorize the lyrics and apply them to their lives. For example, the lyrics of the songs might be about law, mathematical formulas, nutrition, skills for everyday living, biology, etc. Do other people want/need to hear catchy songs that educate and if so, how this could positively impact society if it scaled? For example, what if a popular band or a comedian wrote a how-to song or a how-to comedy sketch about (proper) negotiating, respecting others, anatomy terms, correct grammar, etc.? I enrolled in the Essentials of Non-Profit Strategy to explore this and other ideas. Also, if you know of anyone who is currently doing this, please let me know. I have yet to find these people but would love to meet them!

S
    1 Reply
  • @maplegirlie said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

@jason said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

Hi. My name is Pam Ella. I live in Arizona. I worked for 10+ years as a software tester, but got laid off and am currently seeking work. Someday I want to either start or work with an organization that converts useful educational topics into lyrics/songs or comedy bits for teen and adult listeners. The songs would have to get played enough that listeners can memorize the lyrics and apply them to their lives. For example, the lyrics of the songs might be about law, mathematical formulas, nutrition, skills for everyday living, biology, etc. Do other people want/need to hear catchy songs that educate and if so, how this could positively impact society if it scaled? For example, what if a popular band or a comedian wrote a how-to song or a how-to comedy sketch about (proper) negotiating, respecting others, anatomy terms, correct grammar, etc.? I enrolled in the Essentials of Non-Profit Strategy to explore this and other ideas. Also, if you know of anyone who is currently doing this, please let me know. I have yet to find these people but would love to meet them!

Hi Sello here its my absolute pleasure honour to know you.
    I like the idea.Its an interesting approach.
    Yes I agree. that using creative arts as edutainment to influence and inform positive change and to realise desired outcomes sounds good to me too.

1 Reply
  • @sello said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

Hello Arts, Culture, Humanities community of practice!
    My name is Sello Moeketsi . I have been artist (musician), a cultural professional for over 20 years now and a member a a few cultural organisations in South Africa.
    My interest is to be able to connect artists between Ireland and South Africa for cultural exchange ,residency and other arts and culture activities.
    My advocacy is Cultural Mobility funding and visa challenges for South African Artists who want to showcase their work abroad. .
    My interest in arts and culture is empowerment and social justice
    My hope with Philantrophy University is capacity building,and fund raising skills for the arts.

Sello

Welcome Sello! Great to have you here :)

Your mission sounds like an incredibly important one, and like you bring a great deal of passion to it. What sort of musician are you? What is your interest in artist connections between your country, South Africa, and specifically Ireland?

For more about fundraising, I encourage you to join the Fundraising community and/or enroll in our upcoming Fundraising courses: Introduction to Fundraising, Fundraising: Connecting with Donors, and Fundraising Strategies

• @sello said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

@maplegirlie said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

@jason said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

Hi Sello here its my absolute pleasure honour to know you.
    I like the idea.Its an interesting approach.
    Yes I agree. that using creative arts as edutainment to influence and inform positive change and to realise desired outcomes sounds good to me too.

I also love the idea! As a musical person myself, I've often found songs to be an easy way to memorize important information.

@maplegirlie - Do you have any excamples of this sort of instructional song that you can share with the community?

M
    1 Reply
  • Yes my example would come from musicians who inpired me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_kDQ1S0Bs and others including Fela and many others. music that impact on our wellbeing.As a performer I play in a vairiety of situations .From from styling,improvising,soloing and leading a song.So my specific mission in Ireland is empower myself with skills and real live practice to learn facilitation.To promote Cultural exchange and artists collaborations between Ireland South Africa and to advocate for Cultural Mobility rights of Artists between Ireland.South Africa also to stimulate and foster mutual understanding between the peoples of both countries, and in particular to encourage and assist a knowledge of the culture of each country within the other.
    So I am learning this course to s if I can apply what I am currently learning as a course.

• @maplegirlie - Do you have any excamples of this sort of instructional song that you can share with the community?

@sello & @jason Thank you for the generous and much-needed words of encouragement!

@jason I have not yet written any songs, lyrics, comedy bits or poems except the draft below. Creating this work is where the rest of the artistic community might contribute. :) This morning I tried to write a rhyme about geometry, specifically how to calculate the circumference of a circle using the formula: circumference = pi*(radius*2). Here's a preliminary draft:

"Diameter,"
    said Pi.
    "I'm an interesting guy.
    Multiply you by me,
    and the world will see,
    any circle's perimeter."

This needs to be fact checked because I wrote it very early in the morning. Also, a singer or reciter would have to play with the emphasis of the words "diameter" and "perimeter" to make them rhyme, for example, "diameter" might be pronounced "di'meter" and "perimeter" might be pronounced "pRHY-meter".

Ha. Needs work. :)

• @jason said in Introduce yourself to the community!:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Arts, Culture, Humanities community of practice! My name is Jason and I’m a community manager here at Philanthropy University.

Please use this topic to introduce yourselves to everyone else in the community. What is your name? Where do you live? Where do you work? What is your role? Why did you choose to join this community?

Hello! I'm Jason from San Jose, California, USA. My focus is around urban planning, the arts, and civic engagement.

• My name is Emmanuel Virgillio Yusuf, from Nigeria. I am a Social Entrepreneur and the COO of Cynosure A-Cube Nig. Ltd. I am here to connect with potential donors.

• Hi
    My name is Yuli Irmawati. I live in Jakarta , Indonesia. I'm running Passion Studio as an interior designer. I'm trying to take my part to conserve Indonesian culture & heritage and drag it into contemporary style still with Indonesian wisdom. I was inspired to start this action since the youth of Indonesian have less knowledge & concern about our culture. It's ironic when our nation identity slowly forgetten. There are many of Indonesian heritage got forgetten and ruin and it's break my heart. I'm so happy and hoping by joining this community I can learn from all of you guys to help me with my goal and I also want to share more information & introducing Indonesian culture & heritage as world heritage.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.