Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Working for Organization in Nigeria.

I am Justina Onifade and have worked in Nigeria for Government and International Organization UNICEF. Working at these two different levels are quiet challenging and with different orientation in working. While working for Government requires following rules as directed by your boss or higher level officer, at the International level you are given free hands to implement your programme with guidelines to follow using your initiatives. Honesty and integrity is key to both but rules can be bent sometimes in Government work.Although this depends on the type of leaders you work with and office you are working for.

K
    3 Replies
  • @jonifadr said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

I am Justina Onifade and have worked in Nigeria for Government and International Organization UNICEF. Working at these two different levels are quiet challenging and with different orientation in working. While working for Government requires following rules as directed by your boss or higher level officer, at the International level you are given free hands to implement your programme with guidelines to follow using your initiatives. Honesty and integrity is key to both but rules can be bent sometimes in Government work.Although this depends on the type of leaders you work with and office you are working for.

Hello Justina ( @Jonifadr ), great to have you here! Thank you for posting.

It is wonderful to hear your thoughts on the differences between working for the Nigerian Government and UNICEF. What kind of work were you involved in for the different roles?

Do you have any advice or thoughts to discuss with the rest of this Community?

@all, do you have thoughts about Justina's experience or questions for her?

1 Reply
  • Working for government in Nigeria are almost compared to a robot under remote sensor.
    This I said because you are bound to carried out your superior officers introduction and any attempt to change will mostly be view that you are challenging their authorities, without considered the merit of what your suggestions might bring.

• @mark_g said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

@jonifadr said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

It is wonderful to hear your thoughts on the differences between working for the Nigerian Government and UNICEF. What kind of work were you involved in for the different roles?

Working for the Nigerian government is largely dependent on the particular office you are involved in.There are no defined known standards apart from the civil service rules that exists for when things go wrong. Most offices do their own thing and get away with it. You may go an office and see lots of people idling away their time and in some other offices, you see people really busy. on the average, the private sector really gets the best out of its employees and the staff often get to the job they came for.

F
    1 Reply
  • In fact, your statement is true. Private sectors are using there employees as slave.

• I totally subscribe to what @Jonifadr said about working with government. I have been working with the Nigerian government under the National Lottery Trust Fund as a monitoring and evaluation officer. We are redundant and so many things are done wrongly. At the moment i am looking forward to intensify my M&E skills via this course and at the same time seeking opportunity with any non-profit that will afford me challenging opportunities to develop and achieve results in any project or program i get on.

R
    1 Reply
  • @njokukalu said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

@mark_g said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

@jonifadr said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

Working for the Nigerian government is largely dependent on the particular office you are involved in.There are no defined known standards apart from the civil service rules that exists for when things go wrong. Most offices do their own thing and get away with it. You may go an office and see lots of people idling away their time and in some other offices, you see people really busy. on the average, the private sector really gets the best out of its employees and the staff often get to the job they came for.

I totally agree with @Jonifadr . Working with the Nigerian Government has little impact on workers. Poor working conditions as well. Most times the staff are not being sent for training to improve their career. There are also problems of diverting staff allowances.

Very true @Jonifadr the Nigerian factor always come to play in the work environment especially the privately owned organisation. Usually the strategies to implement projects are usually developed by the owner based on perceptions and this might lead to bias in decision making and hence affect the supposed guidelines to follow.

• Thank you for sharing your thoughts! @Gbemigaoni @Njokukalu @Gideonsanmy @whalesarowolo @Fluffykins @kevbe_1987

@Jonifadr do you have more thoughts to share based on this discussion?

Do others here want to follow up?

It is wonderful to see people connecting and sharing their experiences in this community :) Keep it up!

• @whalesarowolo said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

I totally subscribe to what @Jonifadr said about working with government. I have been working with the Nigerian government under the National Lottery Trust Fund as a monitoring and evaluation officer. We are redundant and so many things are done wrongly. At the moment i am looking forward to intensify my M&E skills via this course and at the same time seeking opportunity with any non-profit that will afford me challenging opportunities to develop and achieve results in any project or program i get on.

Working with a non-profit will also give you an opportunity to contribute to community development. If you are willing to volunteer with a non-profit, I will let you know when my organization needs volunteers.

1 Reply
  • @rabiulanre said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

@whalesarowolo said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

I totally subscribe to what @Jonifadr said about working with government. I have been working with the Nigerian government under the National Lottery Trust Fund as a monitoring and evaluation officer. We are redundant and so many things are done wrongly. At the moment i am looking forward to intensify my M&E skills via this course and at the same time seeking opportunity with any non-profit that will afford me challenging opportunities to develop and achieve results in any project or program i get on.

Working with a non-profit will also give you an opportunity to contribute to community development. If you are willing to volunteer with a non-profit, I will let you know when my organization needs volunteers.

Thank you for following up @Rabiulanre!

It is so great seeing people connect in this Community :)

S
    D
    2 Replies
  • @mark_g said in Working for Working in government organization in Nigeria does not give the room to explore your skills in that there are orders from above that guides your work. Becoming redundant is not far from one's door step. I will like to volunteer to improve my skills for the next job. Organization in Nigeria.:

@rabiulanre said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

I totally subscribe to what @Jonifadr said about working with government. I have been working with the Nigerian government under the National Lottery Trust Fund as a monitoring and evaluation officer. We are redundant and so many things are done wrongly. At the moment i am looking forward to intensify my M&E skills via this course and at the same time seeking opportunity with any non-profit that will afford me challengingi opportunities to develop and achieve results in any project or program i get on.

• @mark_g said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

Seen people are trying to make sure this project is success and meaningful, am apre appreciated.

1 Reply
  • @dk_fa-80 said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

@mark_g said in Working for Organization in Nigeria.:

Seen people are trying to make sure this project is success and meaningful, am apre appreciated.

Hi @Jonifadr . I was impressed that you have had the privilege of working with these organizations, and i feel you could probably help me with gaining employment with any of these organizations. Actually, i have completed the Monitoring & Evaluation courses which Philanthropy University offers apart from the Diploma in Microbiology, and BSc. Computer Science i got from UNIBEN and LASU respectively. I lost my job with Covenant University a few months ago which availed me the opportunity to get to know about Philanthropy courses. Now, I'm jobless, but will love to work with an NGO, than a For-Profit Enterprise. Please if God lays in your heart to help, kindly reach out to me on 08166223070, or adazworld01@gmail.com

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.