Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018

Hi everyone! ( @all )

This week, we are going to begin another new program within this community: Share a Story!

Here, you can share a video, news article, or even your own story that you want to share with the community, for us all to discuss. This is a great place to think and talk about stories, topics, and issues in Nigeria, especially those that involve the work of civil society organizations. If you have written an article or shot a video, feel free to share that too!

To start, check out this story about a team of five teenage girls from Nigeria who recently won an international technology competition for their innovative app, designed to identify deadly fake drugs and save lives.

Here is a video that the girls shared as well:
    Youtube Video

What do you think about the story? Do you have others you want to discuss? Share below!

O
    A
    C
    A
    F
    6 Replies
  • @mark_g said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Hi everyone! ( @all )

This week, we are going to begin another new program within this community: Share a Story!

Here, you can share a video, news article, or even your own story that you want to share with the community, for us all to discuss. This is a great place to think and talk about stories, topics, and issues in Nigeria, especially those that involve the work of civil society organizations. If you have written an article or shot a video, feel free to share that too!

To start, check out this story about a team of five teenage girls from Nigeria who recently won an international technology competition for their innovative app, designed to identify deadly fake drugs and save lives.

Youtube Video

What do you think about the story? Do you have others you want to discuss? Share below!

This is a good innovative development by these young champions. It is very unfortunate that Nigeria has been the dumping ground for bad drugs, substandard drugs and fake drugs.
    Our borders are so porous that one could almost believe that the government is intentionally letting their guards down in order to use the effect (increase in mortality rate) of this unpatriotic act to check the bloating population.

I
    1 Reply
  • @oreyom said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

@mark_g said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

This is a good innovative development by these young champions. It is very unfortunate that Nigeria has been the dumping ground for bad drugs, substandard drugs and fake drugs.
    Our borders are so porous that one could almost believe that the government is intentionally letting their guards down in order to use the effect (increase in mortality rate) of this unpatriotic act to check the bloating population.

Those girls are amazing. Goes to show that there are people in the country who are working relentlessly to make sure the country gets better.

1 Reply

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

A step in the right direction to help people identify fake drugs. There has been increased mortalities as a result of counterfeited drugs in Nigeria. The technology innovation will help a great deal.

1 Reply
  • That is a great Innovation from these teenage girls, The app needs to be developed and installed to enable Nigerian detect faked drugs and to reduce mortality rate. in the country.

1 Reply
  • This is honestly a step in the right direction.

1 Reply

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

This is a timely and well thought application that will go a long way in curbing the problem of fake drugs in Nigeria. I commend the students and also believe that we can make it work by helping to publicise the App especially in the rural areas

1 Reply
  • Education according to Albert Einstein, is not the learning of facts; it is the training of the mind to think. This is what the young inventor has demonstrated. Identifying a problem, than the trained mind come to play, by thinking out a solution for the problem. This is honestly a right step for Nigerian young entrepreneurs.

2 Replies
  • @spottyjeff said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Education according to Albert Einstein, is not the learning of facts; it is the training of the mind to think. This is what the young inventor has demonstrated. Identifying a problem, than the trained mind come to play, by thinking out a solution for the problem. This is honestly a right step for Nigerian young entrepreneurs.

I must ask you to forgive me for my seeming tardiness in participating in this conversation. I am trying to go through the paces to know where I am to make a post. To reply to a post. Or to initiative a conversation.

1 Reply
  • I believe this is a step in the right direction for us in Nigeria, especially with the next generation. It is a very good way to make them realize they can do things on their own with the help of well meaning adults who are interested in building the next generation up. The younger generation needs to be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel so they don't give up on our nation because in reality they have no other place to call home. I applaud the girls and i hope they come up with more innovative things that will help our nation, and point their peers in the right direction.

1 Reply
  • Kudos to them, making us proud. Good morning everyone

1 Reply
  • Just a prayer especially to those innovated the program.

1 Reply
  • When I first read the news, I was amazed. I hope they get more encouragement to even do greater than they did. I really can't wait to see how it works.

1 Reply
  • @ikechukwuka said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Those girls are amazing. Goes to show that there are people in the country who are working relentlessly to make sure the country gets better.

I agree! @Ikechukwuka

Do you have any thoughts about their project? Do you have any other stories you would like to share here?

• @empat said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Youtube Video

Thank you so much for sharing @Empat!

That is a wonderful video. How did you find it? Are you involved in that organization? We would love to hear more!

It is great to have people sharing stories in this community!

• @amas_a said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

A step in the right direction to help people identify fake drugs. There has been increased mortalities as a result of counterfeited drugs in Nigeria. The technology innovation will help a great deal.

Hi @AMAS_a , thank you for posting!

Do you have any thoughts about their project or other technological innovations in Nigeria? Do you have any other stories you would like to share here?

• @scholly said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

That is a great Innovation from these teenage girls, The app needs to be developed and installed to enable Nigerian detect faked drugs and to reduce mortality rate. in the country.

Great idea @scholly

What are your thoughts about how to scale their project? Do you have any other stories you would like to share here?

• @amakanelly said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

This is honestly a step in the right direction.

Thanks for posting @AmakaNelly!

It is great to hear your thoughts. Do you have others about this project you would like to share? Do you have any stories you want to share with the community?

• @cornel said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

This is a timely and well thought application that will go a long way in curbing the problem of fake drugs in Nigeria. I commend the students and also believe that we can make it work by helping to publicise the App especially in the rural areas

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @cornel!

How do you think it would be best to publicize the app in rural areas? Do you have ideas?

• @spottyjeff said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Education according to Albert Einstein, is not the learning of facts; it is the training of the mind to think. This is what the young inventor has demonstrated. Identifying a problem, than the trained mind come to play, by thinking out a solution for the problem. This is honestly a right step for Nigerian young entrepreneurs.

Well said, @Spottyjeff!

Do you know of other similar stories that you would like to post here? It would be great to hear your thoughts!

• @uaminu said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I must ask you to forgive me for my seeming tardiness in participating in this conversation. I am trying to go through the paces to know where I am to make a post. To reply to a post. Or to initiative a conversation.

Thank you for being here @Uaminu!

Do you have any thoughts on the story? Do you have others you would like to share?

• @bisigad said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I believe this is a step in the right direction for us in Nigeria, especially with the next generation. It is a very good way to make them realize they can do things on their own with the help of well meaning adults who are interested in building the next generation up. The younger generation needs to be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel so they don't give up on our nation because in reality they have no other place to call home. I applaud the girls and i hope they come up with more innovative things that will help our nation, and point their peers in the right direction.

Well said, @Bisigad, thank you for sharing!

Do you have other thoughts about this story or others involving Nigeria's younger generations? It would be great to hear them!

• @drcharles said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Kudos to them, making us proud. Good morning everyone

:) @DrCharles

• @dk_fa-80 said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Just a prayer especially to those innovated the program.

It is a great program! Do you have any other thoughts about it you would like to share @dk_fa-80?

• @nenebrown said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

When I first read the news, I was amazed. I hope they get more encouragement to even do greater than they did. I really can't wait to see how it works.

I agree, @Nenebrown!

Do you have ideas for how they would grow this idea? Do you have another story to share?

Thank you for posting :)

1 Reply

@nenebrown said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

When I first read the news, I was amazed. I hope they get more encouragement to even do greater than they did. I really can't wait to see how it works.

I agree, @Nenebrown!

Do you have ideas for how they would grow this idea? Do you have another story to share?

This is a commendable instance of Tech For Change. Innovations in HealthTech are helping people in Africa to have greater access to better health services.

1 Reply
  • @deneri said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

This is a commendable instance of Tech For Change. Innovations in HealthTech are helping people in Africa to have greater access to better health services.

I agree @deneri!

What other innovations have you seen or read about that are helping more people access health services in Nigeria or elsewhere?

A
    1 Reply

@deneri said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I agree @deneri !

What other innovations have you seen or read about that are helping more people access health services in Nigeria or elsewhere?

There is an health system in Ondo State, Nigeria that is maternal health focused. This is so in order to reduce maternal mortality rate. Pregnant women are given peculiar attention that they deserve with state of the art facility at subsidized rate.

1 Reply

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

@mark_g; I think the ladies that introduced the application deserve accolades especially because there is a huge circulation of counterfeit, fake and substandard drugs in Nigeria and Africa at large due to several inefficiencies however, there is room for improvement on such application to improve chances of detecting fake drugs and eliminating such drugs in circulation.

1 Reply

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

The app is so innovative and so on point, it will go along way to help reduce high rate of death mortality and terminal diseases in Nigeria. If only our pharmatical companies in collaboration with governments, NGO's , private and public health sectors are willing, they can use this medium to eradicate fake drugs to the barest minimum. Moreover, creating more awareness in the rural areas on the benefits of purchasing all their medications from an accredited pharmatical shop other than buying from the road side shops. Kudos to the girls!!!!!

E
    2 Replies
  • @amas_a said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

@deneri said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I agree @deneri!

There is an health system in Ondo State, Nigeria that is maternal health focused. This is so in order to reduce maternal mortality rate. Pregnant women are given peculiar attention that they deserve with state of the art facility at subsidized rate.

Thank you for following up @AMAS_a !

It is so great to learn about the maternal health focus of the health system in Ondo State. Does anyone else have ideas about this system or have other ideas about health-related innovations in Nigeria? @all

• @adebowale_o said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

@mark_g; I think the ladies that introduced the application deserve accolades especially because there is a huge circulation of counterfeit, fake and substandard drugs in Nigeria and Africa at large due to several inefficiencies however, there is room for improvement on such application to improve chances of detecting fake drugs and eliminating such drugs in circulation.

Hi @adebowale_o, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

What ideas do you have about improvements the girls could make to the application? Do you have any other ideas related to this topic you would like to share with the group in this thread?

• @og said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

The app is so innovative and so on point, it will go along way to help reduce high rate of death mortality and terminal diseases in Nigeria. If only our pharmatical companies in collaboration with governments, NGO's , private and public health sectors are willing, they can use this medium to eradicate fake drugs to the barest minimum. Moreover, creating more awareness in the rural areas on the benefits of purchasing all their medications from an accredited pharmatical shop other than buying from the road side shops. Kudos to the girls!!!!!

Hi @og, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

You make really interesting points. How do you think NGOs, private and public health sectors, and government can partner to create more awareness in rural areas about this issue? We would love to hear more!

• I think more attention need to be given to the girls rural areas because the they are not exposes to certain social amenities that those in urban areas do, and that affects their developmental stages of life. If government and NGOS can pay more attention to the rural areas i think it can break the chain, and the society will develop better. My heart bleed when I saw teen girl in the northern part of Nigeria having babies and developing infection. Something need to be done.

1 Reply
  • you are all on point.

1 Reply
  • @sarahg said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I think more attention need to be given to the girls rural areas because the they are not exposes to certain social amenities that those in urban areas do, and that affects their developmental stages of life. If government and NGOS can pay more attention to the rural areas i think it can break the chain, and the society will develop better. My heart bleed when I saw teen girl in the northern part of Nigeria having babies and developing infection. Something need to be done.

Hello @SarahG, thank you for sharing your thoughts!

You make an interesting point about projects serving rural vs urban areas.

@Cornel and @Og, you both mentioned rural issues as well. Do you have other thoughts to share? How can NGOs, government, and/or businesses work to address rural healthcare issues in Nigeria? @SarahG, what do you think?

S
    1 Reply
  • @denor said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

you are all on point.

I agree!

Do you have other thoughts to share @denor?

@sarahg said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

I think more attention need to be given to the girls rural areas because the they are not exposes to certain social amenities that those in urban areas do, and that affects their developmental stages of life. If government and NGOS can pay more attention to the rural areas i think it can break the chain, and the society will develop better. My heart bleed when I saw teen girl in the northern part of Nigeria having babies and developing infection. Something need to be done.

@Cornel and @Og, you both mentioned rural issues as well. Do you have other thoughts to share? How can NGOs, government, and/or businesses work to address rural healthcare issues in Nigeria? @SarahG, what do you think?

Education is one of the key factor. If they are highly enlighten about health issues, I think it will go long way in solving the problems. Skills acquisition and or entrepreneurship will also eradicate poverty to an extent among rural communities.

1 Reply
  • @og said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

@og said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

This really commendable. I hope this innovation will not just be put I the dust bin,but will be developed to help the country at large

1 Reply

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

Hello everyone, kudos to these girls. I hope the Government keeps encouraging youths about great innovations.
    Secondly, I hope these girls are being given continous support and encuragement.

1 Reply
  • Great , creating this discussion forum, it will help us get the most of the course.

1 Reply
  • @sarahg said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

@sarahg said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Education is one of the key factor. If they are highly enlighten about health issues, I think it will go long way in solving the problems. Skills acquisition and or entrepreneurship will also eradicate poverty to an extent among rural communities.

That is really interesting @sarahg, thank you for sharing!

• @estheranekwu said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

This really commendable. I hope this innovation will not just be put I the dust bin,but will be developed to help the country at large

Agreed! @Estheranekwu

Do you have any other innovations you have heard about that you would like to share here?

• @fluffykins said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Hello everyone, kudos to these girls. I hope the Government keeps encouraging youths about great innovations.
    Secondly, I hope these girls are being given continous support and encuragement.

Agreed @fluffykins!

Are there any similar stories you can think of that you would like to share here?

• @bpikitda said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Great , creating this discussion forum, it will help us get the most of the course.

Hello @bpikitda!

This is the Nigeria Community of Practice, where people in Nigeria can connect with each other! Are you referring to a course discussion?

@bpikitda said in NEW: Nigeria Share a Story! 28-AUG-2018:

Great , creating this discussion forum, it will help us get the most of the course.

Hello @bpikitda!

This is the Nigeria Community of Practice, where people in Nigeria can connect with each other! Are you referring to a course discussion?

Great nation, great people! That is the Nigerian slogan. Nigeria have millions of great minds but the problem is how to identify them (catch them young), Nurture them and see them grow to make the world a better. These girls have are great and have done us. I do sincerely hope that the government (both at the state and federal level) would go beyond the rhetoric of hosting them in government houses and provide them with the platform that will keep these girls together to fine tune this innovation, secure it (patent) and produce them for commercial hence creating income stream for the girls, create employment and generate revenue for the government. We must (all of us - government, well meaning Nigerians and the business community) not allow this great discovery die as it has the capacity to save million of lives from the consumption of fake drugs that are abund in our dear country.

• I am really excited to have everyone here and I hope great things will happen at the end.

Hi everyone! ( @all )

Youtube Video

The girls are incredible. Nigeria, especially Northern Nigeria will experience a great development if our young girls are allowed to fully enjoy formal education . this will reduce underage marriage and give the girls a chance to lead a good life and pursue their dreams and careers.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.