Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Hello, my name juliana and from Malaysia. Hope ro learn new skill and able to contribute my new skill to my non profit organisation.

• Hello all,

My name is Kanjagua Mugambi from Kenya, I am a Monitoring and Evaluation Professional hoping to learn more on Monitoring and Evaluation of different projects and Human Capital Strategies. All this is aimed at ensuring that the plans set for human resource.

I have enrolled on:

1. Human Capital Strategy
    2. Monitoring And Evaluation

I am planing to do some more courses once i am done with this.

Hoping to learn together.

Thank you.

• Am here to learn

• Yes my organization/ institution has a monitoring and evaluation officer who collected and analyzed data and produce a report on a monthly basis for decision making.

• I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

M
    1 Reply
  • @fofanahosman26 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

Hi, its a pleasure to be part of this course. I have been in the NGO world for quiet some time now implementing different projects. my organisation also have a M&E officer who moves frequently to the project sites to collect information regarding the project progress and later on writes a report and shares with comments on areas that needs improvement.

J
    1 Reply
  • @Mich-o said in Data Science for Social Good:

@fofanahosman26 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I would like to utilize this opportunity provided by philanthropy university to capacitate and empower myself so that in turn I could contribute to the development of my institution

Hi, its a pleasure to be part of this course. I have been in the NGO world for quiet some time now implementing different projects. my organisation also have a M&E officer who moves frequently to the project sites to collect information regarding the project progress and later on writes a report and shares with comments on areas that needs improvement.

Hello everyone . I'm H. Bélore Jean Pierre and I'm an economist and I have a keen interest to develop an NGO. I've already taken The planning for Monitoring and evaluation course but now I'm taking the "Introduction to Fundraising " course so my organization could be able to have an understanding in raising fund.

• @awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good:

Hi @all ! Philanthropy University is considering providing courses on data science. These new courses would teach skills and tools for analyzing and using data; skills like statistical analysis, programming, and data visualization.
    Before we create anything, however, we're curious to know how your organization uses data science. Please take a moment to respond to the questions below. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew
    1. Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    2. What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?
    3. How has data science helped your organization?

I am learning how to use R as part of my programme curriculum. I am at the stage when it looks a little bit too abstract. I am looking forward to get an idea how data science works in real-life organisational setting as I believe it's a necessary complement of analytical tools.

S
    1 Reply
  • Hi. I am working with a small group of youth dedicated to farming activities. We do not have an idea of a data analyst or data scientist. However, data analysis combined with effective monitoring and evaluation appears inevitable as we expand our production and market share. I believe data analysis such as statistical analysis would really help to make evidence-based decisions in future.

A
    1 Reply
  • @lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

@awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good:

Hi @all ! Philanthropy University is considering providing courses on data science. These new courses would teach skills and tools for analyzing and using data; skills like statistical analysis, programming, and data visualization.
    Before we create anything, however, we're curious to know how your organization uses data science. Please take a moment to respond to the questions below. Thanks in advance!

• Andrew
    1. Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    2. What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?

I am learning how to use R as part of my programme curriculum. I am at the stage when it looks a little bit too abstract. I am looking forward to get an idea how data science works in real-life organisational setting as I believe it's a necessary complement of analytical tools.

No

L
    1 Reply
  • In before organization we were working with data from waters tests, we were implementing CBT Ecoli Water Quality test in province of Darien, very remote communities that use water directly from the rivers, also communities that is highly affected by its freshness.
    Data was collected manually by team in field and them analyzed per community ( demography info) to run educational project, prioritize according to need and impact, also to choose the communities that needed the water purifying systems the most. It helped on the planning lots.

• @sunlikesworld said in Data Science for Social Good:

@lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew

No

Please elaborate 😉

R
    1 Reply
  • @lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

@sunlikesworld said in Data Science for Social Good:

@lilia_maximova said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Andrew

No

Please elaborate 😉

Hi Andrew ,
    First of all ,really appreciable initiative for the professional who play with the data.

Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    Ans:
    Yes,My organization works with the data due to we trying to reach every child for his/her vaccination .
    Data analyst is responsible to identified their gaps during vaccination activities.
    Using data for the purpose of future planning and reporting purpose.It will help for my organization
    because it will authentic feedback of project and program.

• Unfortunately,No,but am curious to learn and maybe implement it in our organization

• No idea. But its one of the subject that I would like to get deep on it.

• It is a welcome development if data science is offered here. My organization generates data on a daily basis which are managed by a team called the strategic information team. So, having the opportunity to study data science here would be a great opportunity.

• Andrew

This would be an excellent initiative from the university. I work in an educational organization. We use data science to analyze students performance across subject and grade levels.

• My organisation works with data but they are done manually. If we can have a process that will be automated, i think that would eradicate error on data collation.

• Course Facilitator

As a Geographic Information Analyst (GIS expert) digital ways to collect data on the field has really helped my organization to improve in output. So yes it is really a wonderful and more effective way to manage data.
    Contact us through info@tspatial.com experts will guide you on how you can utlize the technology effectively at low cost

• I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

A
    1 Reply
  • @sune said in Data Science for Social Good:

Hi. I am working with a small group of youth dedicated to farming activities. We do not have an idea of a data analyst or data scientist. However, data analysis combined with effective monitoring and evaluation appears inevitable as we expand our production and market share. I believe data analysis such as statistical analysis would really help to make evidence-based decisions in future.

Sounds great... We would appreciate your encouragement Sir. Join us on agribusiness development group: https://t.me/agribuzdevgroup

• @Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

Sounds great... We would appreciate your encouragement Sir. Join us on agribusiness development group: https://t.me/agribuzdevgroup

S
    1 Reply
  • @Adewalealadesuru said in Data Science for Social Good:

@Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

I work with a small group on farming activities and I collect and use data manually, and feed to the group verbally. I'm in the process of training the group on need of data collection, analysis and use within the organization.

yes, I will appreciate and benefit from that. thank you for the suggestion.

J
    1 Reply
  • @Sofi_Ndunge said in Data Science for Social Good:

@Adewalealadesuru said in Data Science for Social Good:

O
    S
    2 Replies
  • @Jgadowah said in Data Science for Social Good:

Kindly shed more light on this interesting group. Thank you.

• @Jgadowah said in Data Science for Social Good:

• Course Facilitator

• Andrew

happy for that opportinuty to learn and perform in data science , statistical analysis , programming , wrangling and visualization;
    Our organization collects data in household economy to target beneficiairies who should be enrolled in an adaptative social protection project;
    fighting against poverty and vulnerability and to enhance communities resilience;
    econometric model (Proxy means testing) is used for that purpose and statistical analysis are done using stata (software);
    for my own purpose i hold some online courses on data science using R, i ready succeed achieving certificate in introduction to R; R basic, R data wrangling, R data visualization and R ....

• Hi,
    This is great idea, I have been looking forward to this as it essential skill for my work as an M&E professional.

At my Organisation SADO-Somalia, we use mobile platforms to collect baseline and endline data of beneficiaries as well other assessment datas to determine status of the beneficiaries (economic, dietary, social etc) in order to monitor progress as we implement our humanitarian initiatives. The data we collect also inform the programmes we design, so data collection, editing, auditing and analysis is an important aspect of our programming.

I will appreciate the addition of data science component. Thanks

• @awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good

Hi, I work for an organization that focuses on social innovation to eradicate poverty. It collects mainly cross-sectional data but less often, time series and panel data for analysis to develop a theory of change. Knowing how to collect, manage, analyse and interpret this kind of data will be super helpful.

D
    1 Reply
  • I think it would be great, because having data, and understanding how to use it, can be a very powerful tool for organization, because it can serve as a way to measure their impact.

• @Prixy said in Data Science for Social Good:

@awyndham said in Data Science for Social Good

Hi, I work for an organization that focuses on social innovation to eradicate poverty. It collects mainly cross-sectional data but less often, time series and panel data for analysis to develop a theory of change. Knowing how to collect, manage, analyse and interpret this kind of data will be super helpful.

Are you looking to learn statistics?

• Awareness of how data is use it is an extraordinarily great apparatus for the society and having make a greater impact , since it can perform as a means to determine their effect on the society.

• Hi everyone, glad to be here.
    Ntui, Peter O.

• I've got no much knowledge on data sciences but being a mean of extracting more info from data itself which is an improvement on info tech

• @DrTolulopeJayeoba said in Data Science for Social Good:

Data science skills are very much needed.
    Data programmer are in place here. However, I would love to learn how to use data software for statistical analysis.
    Excel skills are already in place for data visualization but more knowledge is required in the area of GIS.

I agree that data science is very much needed nowadays, In fact i am a junior data scientist and data analyst.

• I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

S
    A
    2 Replies
  • @ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

hi I am interested in learning python, could you share what would be the first step towards learning that language?

N
    2 Replies
  • @Shreyoshi said in Data Science for Social Good:

@ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

I am a data scientist and data anlayst, I work a lot with Python and R. From my experiences, I agree that data science can be very needed in civil society field. If someone needs to learn, or Inquire about something I am here for help.

hi I am interested in learning python, is there a site out there (such as Philanthropy University) that would be helpful?

• Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

1 Reply
  • @Shreyoshi said in Data Science for Social Good:

@ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

hi I am interested in learning python, could you share what would be the first step towards learning that language?

Yes there are Coursera or DataCamp, https://www.learnpython.org/, Openclassroom

• @Darling2 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

Yes there are Coursera or DataCamp, https://www.learnpython.org/, Openclassroom

@Darling2 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Yeah I am interested in learning data Science so can you help os what free site can I start learning. I need help

• @ikramhajji813 said in Data Science for Social Good:

Which sites can one learn these?

Does your organization work with a data analyst or data scientist? What types of tasks do your data analysts and scientists do?
    What would be the most helpful data science skills for you or your team to learn?
    How has data science helped your organization
    This is or will be a wonderful experience, my organization work with large data analyst to analyze their data for policy makers. Some of the helpful data science skills we hope to learn include data analytics, data mining, Artificial Intelligence, machine learning and data visualization. Data science has helped my organization in making inform decisions.

• Greetings! I am working at MOMODa FOUNDATION, Dhaka, Bangladesh which is a research-based development organization. We conduct research, evaluation, project implementation, impact analysis, and related works such as project baseline, midline, and end-line evaluation. Data is one of the most important components for us. We conduct social research for social good. Data collection, data analysis, and data infographics are our regular tasks. The course would be very helpful for us. Thank you.

• It will be very useful course if the university can be able to provide

• I am interested to learn more about Data Science.

• We welcome the development by Philanthropy University to include Data Science in its list of courses. We would like to include concepts of Data Science in running our organizations.

• We are very much interested in the course. Our organization works with data

• Data science is essential to most organizations in this modern society. I work as a development planner, monitoring and evaluation person for the local government organisation. I require the data analysis and visualization tools to make my work more effective. Adding the course to philanthrophy university would help build my capacity to be more effective in my organization.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.