Please update your browser

We have detected that you are using an outdated browser that will prevent you from using
certain features. An update is required to improve your browsing experience.

Use the links below to upgrade your existing browser

Hello, visitor.

Register Now

• Module 5: Lessons from Failure

The obstacles that I faces on my engagement goal is the poor attendance and turn out of the participants. My engagement review is to try to visit them an to collect information as what was the main reason. And to overcome all this to is go down to their level and play from where they are to the level that we wanted

J
    2 Replies
  • 151 Replies
  • The obstacles that I faces on my engagement goal is the poor attendance and turn out of the participants. My engagement review is to try to visit them an to collect information as what was the main reason. And to overcome all this to is go down to their level and play from where they are to the level that we wanted

D
    1 Reply
  • failure is a a that teacher of progress

D
    1 Reply
  • failure is the greatest teacher

J
    D
    2 Replies
  • My engagement goal was to recruit 200 public teachers to join our fellowship. However, I failed to achieve this goal because recruitment was limited to one Local government area which reduced the number of applications we received. My engagement review is that I reflected on my performance and choices and were I felt short. My plan is to open our recruitment to teachers in all Local Government Areas in the State in order to overcome this obstacle.

J
    3 Replies
  • my engagement goal is to seek collaboration with the government in constructing and providing NFI to displaced persons, but i failed to achieve the goal of providing the beneficiaries with the NFI due to lack of support from the government.

J
    D
    5 Replies
  • less communication make some misunderstand in each other and sometimes it is hard to manage work when we have to do and solve problem for client in the name of a team.

J
    3 Replies
  • My engagement goal was to sensitize 300 village headmen on the importance of reducing teenage pregnancies in a certain area we were working in. However, i failed to achieve my goal because; not all the headmen were willing to change their stance on teenage pregnancies., and also, some beneficiaries (girls) were scared of going against the wishes of their guardians or parents in as far as teenage pregnancy reduction is concerned. My plan to overcome thes obstacles is to inform and engage various policy makers (e.g. MoGE, MCDSW, MoG, etc.) so that a holistic approach can be developed to tackle the problem of teenage pregnancies among girls in various communities.

• working from the grassroots level is very key in project success. this so because that is where you interact with those affected and you are likely to gain first hand information...

• in fact, what do you think about a project engagement putting in place incentives like per diem, so that they are paid something for attending an engagement?

• absolutely. it helps bring to the fore a lot of issues that are usually overlooked

D
    1 Reply
  • in fact, how will you make sure that as your increase the scope (both project and product), you won't affect the project budget and schedule?

• what other stakeholders do you think you can involve so that your project is successful?

• thats a good project

• what does NFI stand for by the way?

• and what kinds of collaboration was that supposed to be? leverage, delivery, etc?

• one other solution is to go back to the drawing board: ask the victims what they want. maybe they want money to start a business, or food, or skills to build a trade with...

• with less communication comes reduced trust

• in fact, communication is very key if you want to engage a stakeholder well

• thats tough. but it would be great to have a well thought out schedule of activities so that everything is in line

• what happens is there is no progress in all metrics selected?

• in some cases, it takes long for outcomes to show, how does one make sure the time frame for their metric is logical?

• if a stakeholder is found to be deliberately working against your project, how best can they be handled?

• careful selection of stakeholders is very pertinent if a project is to not be disturbed.

• is a stakeholder agreement supposed to be legally binding?

• is there a limit as to how many stakeholders you can have?

• hoe best does one carter for stakeholders who were not considered in planning and they pop up at the end, and they are very critical? e.g. evaluators of a project, 3rd party auditors, standards boards, etc.)

• is there a limit as to how many times you can engage a given stakeholder?

• what if a stakeholder who has so much power does not want to work with you?

• is there a need to have a number of stakeholder agreements running at the same time?

• My engagement goal was to achieve women rights through feminist movement so women are able to get their rights At home and work place , get equal pay and promotion opportunities. To overcome from physical and verbal abuse. The metrics was to cal, our women for peaceful protest .

• The obstacles were that there were fewer women

• My engagement goal was to sensitize and encourage the community members to enroll their children in schools, but however the expected number of the participant for the community sensitization meeting was low, and few parents were reluctant to send their girl child to school due to cultural norms and religious misconceptions they belief that the girl child is more valuable in the community been trained in household chores and married off instead of having education and pursuing their dreams.

To overcome this obstacles we engage the traditional leaders and enlightened them on how the girl child education can be a great asset to their community for example a pregnant lady will be much more comfortable been checked by a fellow lady than a man.

Also, we conduct a round-table discussion with religious leaders to educate their community members about the right of the girl child to education from the religious perspective and how a community will progress if majority of the females are educated.

and this solution proves very effective.

• The stakeholders need and interest is the main factor to choose engagement method. There is no one best engagement method for specific groups

• My achieved engagement goal was 45% against 70%. The goal was not achieved because of poor level of language understanding. Engagement review shows that the HSE terminologies are too high for their level. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to speak the language at their level.

• 20% behavioural change was achieved as against 50% target simply because students find it difficult to deviate from their cultural believes. Next engagement will address relationship between cultural believes and behavioural change.

• Only 7 technical schools were reached as against 20. This was because the road was bad, especially during the rainy season. Next engagement planning will put into consideration the weather conditions.

• The target of 65% student reporting unsafe acts and conditions was achieved as against 75%.
    This was a good one though it can be improved.
    This achievement was possible because the technicians related unsafe acts to themselves as the beneficiary. Next engagement will focus more on letting the students know what they are to gain in reporting.

• Training on HSE was not well thought in schools because they feel it's not part of syllabus contents approved by the government! We will need to collaborate more with government to help schools in contributing to their syllabus

• I will engage more on CSR to convince more schools.

• My engagement goal was to educate 500 students on sex education and safe sex practices. However i failed to reach my target, only 380 students joined SE class. My engagement review is that some of the students were reluctant to join because their parents had refused them because such classes were deemed unethical and they said these classes are teaching the children to be having sex as opposed to protecting them from the sex. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to have meetings and seminars also for the parents and the community to also educate them on the importance of sex education.

• My goal was to increase the sales in online store. % i aimed for was too optimistic, so it failed. I reached increase in half of the estimated % within the defined period of time.

• “My engagement goal was to ensure no issues raised by residents were escalated as official complaints - by me meeting with residents to understand and wherever possible resolve issues raised. However, I failed to achieve my goal because there were a number of issues that were not drawn to my attention by construction crew members who tried but failed to resolve issues. My engagement review is I need to convince the project manager that the process for bringing issues to my attention is to be mandated by the project manager as a must-do for all construction crew members. My plan to overcome this obstacle is ensure the project manager understands that if issues become official complaints we may not win new contracts from the organization for whom we are working - so there is a financial risk to the business as the result of official complaints.”

• My engagement goal was to train and retrain 200 teachers on how to utilise instructional materials to reduce the underperformance of students in mathematics as a subject. However, I failed to achieve my goal because my engagement implementation was faulty as I didn't facilitate the engagement properly and didn't give the stakeholder room to speak their mind. My engagement review is that I assessed my performance from my perspective and also sought the opinions of my colleagues. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to implement another means through which I can directly engage with stakeholder as regards hearing their opinions

• “My engagement goal was to get 9 students to clear their 10th Board Exams in English. However, I failed to achieve my goal because I agreed to teach students who did not even have knowledge of the language fit for 5th Standard. My engagement review is that I should make sure the students have capability to grasp the level of knowledge required for 10th Boards. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to take baseline tests for students before embarking on teaching the curriculum.

• The obstacles that I faces on my engagement goal is the poor attendance and turn out for immunization by parent . My engagement review is to try to visit them an to sensitise them and probably tak the testing exercose to them as what was the main reason. And to overcome all this to is go down to their level and play from where they are to the level that we wanted

• The obstacles that I faces on my engagement goal is the poor attendance and turn out of the participants. My engagement review is to try to visit them an to collect information as what was the main reason. And to overcome all this to is go down to their level and play from where they are to the level that we wanted

• my engagement goal is to seek collaboration with the government in constructing and providing NFI to displaced persons, but i failed to achieve the goal of providing the beneficiaries with the NFI due to lack of support from the government.

• My engagement goal was to get project earmarked beneficiaries share in the project risks and contribute 15% towards total project cost. However, I failed to achieve my goal because the mindset and misconception of believing in a 100% sponsorship did not easily go away. My engagement review is that a more inclusive participatory approach is to be embarked on to educate people and counter myths. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to make the needed greater effort to explain to project earmarked beneficiaries the necessity of this more proactive approach is sponsorship is to be secured more easily as a counterpart participation convinces faster potential donors.

• My engagement goal was to recruit 200 public teachers to join our fellowship. However, I failed to achieve this goal because recruitment was limited to one Local government area which reduced the number of applications we received. My engagement review is that I reflected on my performance and choices and were I felt short. My plan is to open our recruitment to teachers in all Local Government Areas in the State in order to overcome this obstacle.

• My Engagement goal was to have SMART alignment with a Government Institution on Medical Insurance in order to address both the Private and pubic sectors misconceptions.
    I failed to achieve my goal due to poor attendance from the other party.
    My review is that a draft agenda should be sent to the other group prior the engagement meeting is held.

• I have from this module that, when ever you try or attempt something for the first time you failed, don't relent keep on trying you will succeed.

• The lessons from failure was that, the stakeholders engagement plan was not well understood and the metrix of the project.

• The lessons from failure was that, the stakeholders engagement plan was not well understood and the metrix of the project.

• My engagement goal was to reach out to stakeholders to have their staff participate in our training modules. However I failed to achieve my goal because my email list was not up to date and therefore I missed out on having them attend. My engagement review is that I will engage in a process to evaluate and update all stakeholder contact information. And that is my plan to overcome this and do better next time.

• SMART?
    Able to measure both the short-term and long-term impact of your engagement?
    Easy to measure or collect?
    Able to show you changes or warning signs that your engagement may be in trouble?
    Able to allow you to analyze trends over time?
    Going to produce data that is comparable to baseline data?
    Able to measure what you would consider to be an unsuccessful engagement?

• SMART?
    Able to measure both the short-term and long-term impact of your engagement?
    Easy to measure or collect?
    Able to show you changes or warning signs that your engagement may be in trouble?
    Able to allow you to analyze trends over time?
    Going to produce data that is comparable to baseline data?
    Able to measure what you would consider to be an unsuccessful engagement?

• My engagement experienced failure because 10% of participants were more interested in the financial gain from the training while 20 percent were not bold enough to share the knowledge gained from the training. Only 5% of participants were able to transfer the knowledge which was below expectations of 50%

• My engagement goal was to reduce the time other government agencies take to approve of extractive activity sites to 20 days. However, I failed to achieve my goal because the other government agencies took more than 30 days to approve the extractive activity sites. My engagement review is that Paper applications take a long time to reach other government agencies by mail, as well as their internal review and resend the response . My plan to overcome this obstacle is Building an electronic platform that enables other government agencies to review and approve applications electronically.

• My engagement goal was increase the amount of domestic waste sorted by eachhousehold. However, I failed to achieve my goal because they doesnt know how many waste types that should be sorted. My engagement review is that to try in depth interview and home visit to give one on one education. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to invite the neighborhood for weekly meeting to educate them on waste sorting and monitoring the progress by home visit

• My engagement goal was to get the district leadership involved in the supervision of the community projects.
    However, we failed to achieve this goal because we started engaging the district personnel after the community projects had been started.
    The engagement review is that we were not successful with the initial engagement as we met uncooperative district personnel.
    Our plan to overcome this obstacle is to have various individual engagements with the different personnel at the the district that we need to supervise by explaining their role and contribution to these community projects.

H
    2 Replies
  • Example: “My engagement goal was to mobilise youth to attend the business skills training.
    However, I failed to achieve my goal because there was the expected Mobilisation was not done by the national youth council. My engagement review is that the stakeholder didn't prioritise our program because they had many other engaging activities that crash with my program activities. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to harmonise our programs and if need incorporate our mobilisation drive into the stakeholders activities and they be included in their workplan.

H
    1 Reply
  • Failure is the mother of all Failures

• @Qiovula said in Module 5: Lessons from Failure:

The obstacles that I faces on my engagement goal is the poor attendance and turn out of the participants. My engagement review is to try to visit them an to collect information as what was the main reason. And to overcome all this to is go down to their level and play from where they are to the level that we wanted

That's a good idea and I believe that will help to solve the obstacles.

• failure is the greatest teacher

• That's a good idea and I believe that will help to solve the obstacles.

• if an objective is not very clear it can become an obstacle toward achieving goal

• failure is indicators which is leading conflicts in stakeholders engagement

• Are there sufficient stakeholder to take part in your review?

• My commitment objective was to select 200 public instructors to join our partnership. Nonetheless, I neglected to accomplish this objective since enlistment was restricted to one Local government region which diminished the quantity of uses we got. My commitment audit is that I thought about my exhibition and decisions and were I felt short. I will probably open our enlistment to instructors in all Local Government Areas in the State to defeat this hindrance

• My engagement goal was to train staff from Federal Government of Somalia ministries on how to use geo-information data. However, I failed to achieve my goal because Somalia Central Bureau of Statistics that is the custodian of Somalia data declined to approve those trainings unless they are engaged first. My engagement review is that it is important to involve Somalia Central Bureau of Statistics. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to engage Somalia Central Bureau of Statistics and get their approval on the trainings to be conducted.

• My engagement goal was to Increase community resilience over natural disaster posed by drought and Flood hazards at Kishapu District. However, I failed to achieve my goal because very few stakeholders were involved to scaled up our efforts and there was no 5 SMART short and long term metric goals. My engagement review is that: we managed to deliver the skills and knowledge on Disaster Risk reduction to grass root leaders and Disaster management committees which was the minority of the beneficiaries. We did not succeed to reach the majority of beneficiaries who we intended to create/increase community resilience over natural Disasters due to the limited specified time period. My plan to overcome this obstacles are to assess and review our performance, set 5 SMART Metric and develop proper mechanisms to receive and provide feedback and complaints from our stakeholders.

• ”My engagement goal was to start a family that will support me. However, I did not succeed in achieving my goal, because I have not yet been able to find myself a worthy husband, I already have 37. but naturally I can do it this year. opens up. My plan to overcome this obstacle is that everything in this life is achievable with God's help.

• My goal was to have about 100 people apply through us for jobs. However due to lack of trust we only got 60. As such we need to work on improving our education classes to the public on what we offer.

• Advantages could include:

When she joins forces with the public authority and they settle on the terms for coordinated effort, she would have the option to grow her compass and further develop her image notoriety.
    Banding together with the public authority will permit her to make bigger surges of promotion the nation over with regards to her association and the significance of conceptive wellbeing.
    New ideas or thoughts could arise about extension and improving mindfulness, when she collaborates with the public authority. Residents might treat her NGO more in a serious way whenever she has fostered an essential association with the public authority.

• The obstacles that I faced during the engagement was first the travel difficulties due to the geography. Talking to the local leaders was also a challenge and explaining them our motive. The turnout of participants was low in the beginning but slowly the people started talking. To address the issues I made a chart and and jotted down all the problems we were facing. Since we had already developed a risk chart in the beginning it was easier to tackle it.

• My engagement is to eradicate foodless on my country, so my project is not start yet but in coming time hope to share with you, how things actually work

thank you

• Failed
    Perfomance: while the engagement was correct the goal was rather vague in terms of roles and responsibilities such that the whole purpose was defeated

Metrics
    Very reaction with no tangible metrics set

Feedback

• whole engagement process was confrontantional
  • My engagement goal was to convince 120 communities to register on pump service agreement with our company. The engangement did not go well because there is reluctance among traditional leaders which demotivated communities from signing thr the agreements. My engagement review is that, the tradition leaders behaved so because they were not properly engaged which means the strategy we used didn't materialize. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to meet them one-on-one to find out where we didn't plan well and to modify it to meet their needs .

• My engagement goal was to teach young females the importance of menstrual hygiene.

I could not achieve my goal due to a lack of funds to procure more sanitary pads.

My engagement review us that they went back to using materials since it was not accessible.
    I plan to involve more funders as well as government functionaries. If possible, work with companies producing pads to sell at discount rates to students within their school territories .

• My goal was to recruit 10 entrepreneurs in the Avocado agroprocessing cluster. However, I failed to achieve my goal because I didn't map out early entrepreneurs for engagement. My engagement review is that I need to approach organizations that may help refer the entrepreneurs. My plan to overcome this obstacle is to approach cooperative societies that work with Avocado agroprocessors.

• My engagement goal was to train 200 commercial fish farmers within 2 months. However I failed because the farmers were so conservative to share other information with me with the hope that I would share their ideas with their own competitive agencies in the same business.
    My engagement review is to sit down with them and we design everything again so that they understand my move.

Reply to Topic

Looks like your connection to PhilanthropyU was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.